Old 05-04-2010, 08:24 PM   #166  

Okay, now the epic article. Read it or not, but I found this so-very-helpful today when I was feeling as is nothing much was happening . . . I will try to post the link at the top too, since I don't want to steal this guy's intellectual property and the site is in general very cool -- it essentially embraces all of the BB concepts (alternating cardio/weight workouts, clean eating, etc.) Nothing necessarily "new," but this guy is very smart and it is interesting to read about similar concepts from a different (and sometimes more technical) perspective. Cheers all, and hope this article isn't too long.

Here goes:

Link: http://www.hussmanfitness.org/html/TSInsideOut.html

Article:

You Really Do Change from the Inside Out
By John P. Hussman, Ph.D.
All rights reserved and actively enforced.

Nearly everyone I know who has completed a physique transformation, including some of the EAS Champions, say that the changes take place from the inside out. In other words, what you observe outside is just a reflection of the changes that happen in your attitudes and your whole outlook on life.

The first step is to make a decision where you know exactly why you want to change. Your fitness goals are nothing without some reason you have for achieving them. Without that reason to keep you determined, you'll swerve off the road at the first Dairy Queen in sight.

It turns out that the idea of changing from the inside out is literally true as well.

From the notes I've received from some of you, the most common concern seems to be that your fat loss seems too slow. After starting a serious fitness program including cardiovascular and weight training, nearly everyone feels better and more energetic almost immediately (aside from the perpetual soreness). But even after several weeks, some people do not see a noticeable change in the mirror, so far as fat is concerned. And the scale! You've busted your bottom for weeks, and there's no change! Of course, if you've really been half-hearted about following your program, it's clear why this may happen, but it can also happen when you have honestly been experiencing intensity every day, and have been careful about limiting your portions. I've received messages from people literally in tears at the frustration. Kid, the road to Easy Street runs through the sewer. You gotta get tough (words spoken to me by my favorite teacher, Father Arnold Perham).

Here's what's going on. Fat is stored in several places, within the muscle as intramuscular fat (which is why pork is "the other white meat"), around the organs as "visceral fat", and under the skin as "subcutaneous fat". If you're inactive as you get older, the fat starts depositing in the muscles first - the muscle tissue gets "marbelized". After the intramuscular stores are full, the fat spills over to subcutaneous stores, which are more noticeable. Well, now take that process in reverse. Exercise (and specifically interval training and progressive weight training) tends to draw significantly from the intramuscular stores early on, so instead of seeing a major change in the mirror, you may instead feel your muscles getting firmer and less "mushy". That's a good sign. Don't give up! The subcutaneous fat loss becomes more evident once the intramuscular stores are whittled down a bit.

One of the fears I hear very often comes from women with large thighs and calves. The concern is that weight training will make these even larger. Not true. While it may certainly seem that way at first (particularly after you've taken creatine, glutamine or extra carbohydrate and are retaining water), the muscles in your thighs and calves are most likely marbelized with fat. Weight training will actually draw from those intramuscular stores, so that the muscles become leaner and more elongated rather than more bulky. Some women naturally have more muscle tissue (and typically describe themselves as having a "fast metabolism"), and those women can often gain muscle easily. But for most women, especially those who think their metabolism is "slow," it's difficult to strap on bulky muscles through weight training unless they're on steroids.

Second, if you've been lifting weights, you'll also be adding to muscle mass while you lose fat. The muscles become able to store more glycogen, and every gram of glycogen binds itself to several grams of water within the muscle, so a "pumped" muscle is heavier. Regular exercise also increases blood volume. And since protein synthesis typically goes along with increased cell volume (especially if you're using creatine and glutamine), the scale will be an awful measure of the improvements that are going on metabolically. It's ironic - cell volume, blood volume - exactly the things that will be helping you to get fit, can be the things that initially make you think you're making no progress. Fat calipers are a better measure of progress, but even here, if you vary your pinching technique a little bit, you can get inaccurate readings on a day to day basis. Believe me, you're going to have nights when you look in the mirror and say "all this work, and I look the same", and mornings when you just can't believe the improvement. Don't base your enthusiasm about your fitness program on either of those short-term impressions. Do try to troubleshoot by periodically reviewing your diet, intensity, and variety, but stick with it!

For most people, the initial drop in the scale will probably understate your fat loss in the first few weeks. For very overweight people, the drop on the scale will probably exceed your fat loss. That's particularly true if your diet was very high in carbohydrate before you started. In very overweight individuals, even the increased muscle cell and blood volume is typically less than the initial loss in water weight. A lot of people seem to think that water loss is not "real" weight loss. Well, if your fat level stays the same, that's true. But your body's water retention is largely determined by its fat content. So if you lose the fat, the water stays off as well!

Because of these significant differences in fluid-volume changes, some people will notice immediate changes, while others (and I would expect, most) will see only limited changes for the first 5 weeks or so. That seems like an awfully long time to wait, but remember, fat doesn't "spot reduce" - it comes off in sheets, like an onion. That's why you can estimate your overall bodyfat levels just by measuring at one or two sites. Fat isn't so exquisitely distributed that those estimates are exact, so if you're doing bodyfat readings at just one or two sites, your figures can jump and stall from time to time. The upper body (shoulders, chest, upper abdominal area) generally shows improvement first. But expect that the areas you've always thought were "too fat" will still look too fat for a while, even though you feel good, look "healthier", and can gradually measure that your fat percentage is going down.

There's so much pressure to see quick results that it's easy to forget the point of this, which is quite frankly to save your life. Don't ignore increases in strength and overall feeling of health and well-being. Those are goals too.

If you were able to look inside of your cells and see your "good" enzymes increasing, your energy-producing mitochondria multiplying, your cholesterol falling, your arteries clearing, your blood vessels becoming more efficient, your muscles strengthening, your bone-density improving, and all of the remarkable changes that this program triggers, it would be clear that the scale and calipers are just insufficient ways of measuring success. As these internal changes become significant, your external progress accelerates. Some people just start out needing more internal changes than others, because of their prior lifestyle, long-term yo-yo dieting, and other factors. Please understand that if you're following the daily intensity and carefully limiting your portions, the progress is happening, whether it's obvious or not. I've just seen too many individual cases to think any different.

So don't force the numbers. They'll come. Here is your job today: adhere to a winning pattern of action that you know will produce results if you follow it consistently. That's all. And if you do that today, congratulate yourself as a winner. If instead, you insist on measuring your success by whether or not the scale or caliper show progress today, you're creating a game you can lose. In Steven Covey's words, you're putting yourself in the position of trying to manage consequences rather than actions. You'll never get a reliable sense of confidence that way. Look, you're following a program that works. Do troubleshoot. Do review your workouts, food choices, portion sizes, and meal plans. But make every day a game you can win.

Lastly, if you've been sedentary for a long time, your fat probably hasn't seen an ounce of circulation since high school. This causes your fat to turn thick and hard, or "blubbery" (yes, Scrabble fans, that is a word). Marine animals have this sort of fat deposit, called a "blubber lay". When you start working out consistently, some of you may find that your fat or cellulite becomes more like Jell-O initially. In whales (forgive me - this is not personal), increased activity also forces a change in circulation strategy so that there is increased blood flow near the body's surface. I suspect that this occurs in humans as well, so you may be a little "pink" for even hours after a good workout.

Related Articles

Measuring your Progress
How to use skinfold calipers, monitor your progress, and calculate changes in body composition.

Unleash the Secret Weapon
If you've gone more than about 6 weeks without noticeable progress, it's time to haul out the big gun.

Caloric Deficits
If you accumulate persistent caloric deficits day after day, you'll lose fat.

If you find this site helpful, I would like to ask just one thing. Please, please, sign your organ donor card, discuss this choice with your family, and encourage your friends and family to do the same. Like everything else on this site, it's not enough to read this. Nothing happens unless you actually do it. I promise, it won't affect the medical care you get while you're alive, and you won't miss anything when you're gone. But you'll save lives. And I have no doubt that Lisa Sherman, my dear friend on earth, and my guardian angel in heaven, will find some way to thank you. She was 37. Click here to download an organ donor card (simply sign it and fold it behind your driver's license)

Last edited by Cormac; 05-04-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Cormac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:53 PM   #167  

S/C/G: 160/130/110

Height: 5'4"

Alright, so classes are tomorrow again. I hope it's still on. If the prof is not here within 15 minutes, I'm going home. We have not received confirmation of it being on/off.

So I got up the motivation to do Core Synergistics today.

Thanks for everyone for their concern once again. I'll let you know how it goes. Once again, I will not have the energy to work out, since I work everyday for the next few weeks at 9am, and have to take the train at 7:30am, thus I must wake up at 6 or so.

So again, to make up for it, I will be venturing on a 2 hour walk around downtown.

Bremo - Good job on the home gym! I wish I could do that! And of course, stay here. Not enough people post frequently on the P90X board. So I came here, on the advice of Cormac. And congratulations on the 5 3/4 inches loss! YESSSSS

Cormac - That's really gotta suck, especially the throwing up part. Ughhhh. That often happens to me when I get the flu. Just tunnel through it with your SO. Good thoughts of health are sent down to Ohio!

Y-Weight - Just keep going! Squeeze it in any way you can. At least that's what I'm trying to do. Mental hugs.

Anyway, everyone, be well! I hope I don't get sick during these really intense two weeks. Wish me luck!
AllisonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:18 PM   #168  

S/C/G: 253.8/Ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Ok I was SOOO excited... We are doing the diet and everything. I don't know how this is going to play into Weight Watchers but I have already paid for the 9 weeks so I am going to still go. I went and got groceries which is basically nothing processed. We did the fit test tonight. Well I am rethinking but I am going to stick with it. I just see the fact that I cried through the jumping jacks a great starting point and surely after 90 days of X I will be able to do 2 min of jumping jacks without tearing up or screaming at the second hand on the clock to hurry up.

Tomorrow it begins. I am going to plan our meals for tomorrow and Thursday.

Will catch up with everyone later.
bremro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:55 AM   #169  

GO Brem GO!! Can't wait to hear.

Day 45 is ON THE BOOKS -- half way home and only 2 unscheduled "miss" days. Take that subcutaneous fat. I'll get you yet....

Have a great day all.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:16 AM   #170  

OK, I'm reading and catching up and about to post on my day 4, but I had to stop and say one thing:

Quote:
Fat is stored in several places, within the muscle as intramuscular fat (which is why pork is "the other white meat"),
EEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

I'll be back
YWeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:45 AM   #171  

YWeight ~ I thought the same thing then all I could think of is that muscles are ribeyes. I kept thinking about the grissle (sp?)

Ok got through Chest & Back with much room for improvement.... I am thinking after 5 maybe 6 rounds of P90x I might be able to keep up with them. Pullups I used the chair and then it was still a struggle. Dive Bombers..... you would think I would hate these things to look at them but by the second set I liked them. So I had a recovery drink ready and was thrilled with my progress when I was done THEN the video went on to Ab Ripper X WHAT???? So I looked up in the book and sure enough I am supposed to do 339 reps. OMG..... OMG.... So I didn't do 339. Maybe 33.9 if I am counting the ones I had to grunt and cheat a little on. It is a step in the right direction. I have no idea how I am going to function at work tonight. I need all walkie talkie patients because if I have to lift a patient tonight we both might be on the floor.

ok need to go pack my meals for tonight and get some sleep.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:46 AM   #172  

All righty then....

Fantastic article...this is the part that jumped out at me (after that pork thing):

Quote:
There's so much pressure to see quick results that it's easy to forget the point of this, which is quite frankly to save your life.
And that is what I am here to preach about today...SAVING OUR LIVES...I am 46 and I am on track to retire comfortably in 8 years. 8 YEARS, I do not want to be sickly OR DEAD and miss the opportunity to live fantasitcally for the remaining 30+ years of my life.
Should I have thought about that 20 years ago? YES...but now is not the time for shoulda/woulda/coulda. Now is the time TO GET THIS DONE.

CAN I GET AN AMEN ???

Just kidding folks, there is no Jericho marching and stuff around here. I had an uncle who was a Baptist minister in a small KY town...sometimes I just succumb to the stereotype.

Can you tell how much better I am feeling? Day 4 down and all is well. I am so much better at the Sculpt than the Sweat, but I pushed play and did more than the last time. I am really starting to feel it....and that is a good thing. I am also (so far) sticking with my eating plan and water intake.
Life is good....

Congrats on the all of yesterday's success....Brem, I need a full 90X report...Cormac, I'm with you and secretly jealous, but reality for me has been made clear in the last few days, I'll be with p90 for the duration....Allison, Class? Did it take place? I always wanted to hold the prof's to that 15 min. "rule", but never could.

B*ST*RDS....A co-worker just set 2 fantastically looking homemade loaves of bread right outside my cube. It's the work, I tell you, the

HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYONE ! ! !
Old 05-05-2010, 04:39 PM   #173  

Ok I don't have a clue what ya'll are really like away from this forum but I can tell if we lived closer we all would have to hang out together. I crack up reading ya'lls post and I swear some of the things you say (type) sounds like thing I say.

One of my friends commented on my Facebook that she was amazed that I had already graduated from power 90. I explained to her that what I have done was not "graduate" it is like doing really well in 4th grade science class so then trying to tackle college level advanced biology... I knew I was in trouble when those darn ab lungers that I 90 days I ago were just my "step back and raise your arm" and I was so tickled when I did them for 30 sec. Well in todays work out they were the warm up. Did you hear me? WARM UP... I thought "man they get in quick and start working" after that he did neck rolls... this was the first sign I was in trouble. Ok so I need to go take kids to ball practice and pack my supper and cook the rest of the families before I go to work. Hugs to you all......
Old 05-05-2010, 08:41 PM   #174  

Gosh I love this board. I don't have much to report today (go ahead y'all, let out an AUDIBLE *sigh* of relief), but catching up on your antics at the end of my day makes my day.

And a hella' big AMEN to you Y-Weight. Why was I forgetting that "feeling" healthy, and actually "getting healthy," were just as much "goals" as watching the numbers on the scale (a/k/a in my case, the "random number generator")?!? We are saving lives people--and the fun part is that those lives are our own! Lemmee-get-a-WOOT-WOOT!! Ha Ha. Y-Weight, you are a techie, so I am hoping that you might get this meme -- "Subcutaneous Fat -- im in ur base killing all ur d00ds." For the sane folk in this group who hate tech and don't have teen neices/nephews, here's the link to why this is funny to geeks like me: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=im+in+ur .

Also Y-- Sweet Fancy Moses -- fresh-freakin'-made-bread RIGHT OUTSIDE YOUR CUBE? Seriously? WTH? Why not throw in some freshly churned Irish butter you b*stards??? In my office it is the Friday bagel/donut extravaganza, which has gone nuclear. The situation is out of control. We have a "Donut Commissioner" (specific rules and regulations), a "Donut Policy Committee" (guidance from 30,000 foot level), and a hyper-competetive group of "Donut-Minions" who's job it is to Obey #1 and #2 (we all get assigned a two Fridays a year to contribute to the debauchery by bringing the offending pastry in for the whole floor). I am lobbying for the creation of a Friday Morning "Egg-White Omelette Committee" but getting nowhere fast. Sons of Beaches.

Brem-GO (your new nickname), you are freaking AWESOME. I almost pee'd my pants when I read about the quietly-and-seductively-waiting recovery drink, followed by ... (wait for it) ... the arrival of Ab-Ripper-X! 339 crunches? HA HA HA HA. Even on the days we manage to hit the Sweat 3-4, we still refer to the TH200 as the "TH140-or-so." You GO though. I absolutely believe from everything that I have read that as long as you are working at your maximum potential (whatever that is) you are getting 100 percent of the benefits. It's all about getting the heart/muscles into the "zone" where "work" is getting done. For me, that does NOT require keeping up with the kids (that would get me into the "zone" where "permanent damage and cardiac arrest" would be "getting done").

Allie and Brandon -- realize that you are both in a place where "life" is wayyyy too pressing for posting. Been there, and will be there again. ***Warm*** (some would say "piping hot") waves of energy heading out right this second!

Okey-Dokey, you all can now mutter expletives about the fact that "she said she didn't have much to say ... seriously????." Done and done.

Best all!

Last edited by Cormac; 05-05-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:28 AM   #175  

Dy 46, done and done. For some reason, I re-read the P90 guide around a week ago, and now I am glad that I did. It mentioned that some time around week 4-5, when you make the switch to 3-4, will--for most people--be the toughest point in the 90-days. The initial excitement has work off, you've been used to feeling good about getting through 1-2 with ever-increasing intensity, and then you start 3-4 and you get kicked in the a$$ all over again.... can't keep up, can't finish, etc. Soooo true and sooo frustrating. You think to yourself "what the heck have I been doing for the last 4 weeks and how can this be so hard??" So, I was feeling that way during the Sweat today, but knowing that this is "normal" was helpful. Besides, if I could get all the way through 3-4 right now, what would I have to look forward to in terms of progress right?

Wondering if this is going to be like starting 1-2 in terms of a temporary weight gain? Don't know but not too worried about that -- knowing that is normal is also helpful.

Have a great day all .... good luck Brem on whatever madness Tony has in store for you today! Are you guys doing classic or lean?
Old 05-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #176  

Is there a time window on those 339 crunches? I mean, could you do them over a matter of years? My abs went into spasms just reading about it....probably not a good thing. The more I hear and read about p90X, the more I like Richard Simmons.
Kidding. Rock on with your bad self Brem, just don't get hurt.

A Donut Commissioner? Uggggg...in our group there is a pot luck craze. Three times a year we are not allowed to do anything to the production system, so what do we do? We eat.
Donut Minions? If only their energy could be used for good instead of evil.

I really hate it when people step up to the opening of my cube and just stand there. I can tell they are there....LOSER - JUST ANNOUNCE YOURSELF AND I WILL TURN AROUND. It is always the same guy asking the same STUPID question. (Yes, your teacher was wrong, there are such things as stupid questions.)
Humans are not meant to work in cubes. As for me, I started working with computers so I wouldn't have to work with humans....WHY AM I HAVING TO TALK TO YOU PEOPLE?

Sorry about that, I'm better now. OK, DAY 5 - done, and guess what? 7-7-5 - HAH ! ! ! Yes, I thought my left shoulder was going to seperate from my body, but I did them. Tonight is power yoga and BE Hops....can't wait.

OK, work is boring. I'm going for a walk. Have a great day.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #177  

S/C/G: 197.6/189/145

Height: 5'6

Default P90 X

I have it and have never used it because i don't have the required equipment. I tried the cardio boxing and that was a a workout for me!
bellenoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:19 PM   #178  

So I just read my way through the last 12 pages of this thread, you guys are hilarious. I just got P90X and tried plyo last night (No, I don't follow instructions well) - it was cool, kind of like just the cardio portion of bootcamp at my gym. I think I'm going to try and work P90X into my workout schedule. I know I should follow their 90 day plan but I run 3 times a week (I have a 5k, 10k and maybe a HM coming up... plus running is fun) and have a twice a week yoga practice and some other stuff I like to do at my gym. So I'll just start with their calendar and completely butcher it.

Now I just need to go buy some weights > 5 lbs and maybe a pull up bar... although the only pull ups I've done recently are assisted pullups at the machine at the gym and only because my friend wanted to know what the "funky machine does".

Also, I took starting pictures last night and my stomach is a lot bigger than I think... and at that, it's already smaller than it used to be. I'm going to blame the fact that I was taking pictures via my reflection in a mirror. But realy, my diet is going to be my downfall since I"m not very good at the "not giving in to temptations" part of things.
janehung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:40 PM   #179  

Belle & Jane!!

Belle -- feel free to hop on the crazy train regardless of whether you are doing P90x. Some of us are doing P90, and Allison is doing some sort of wacked hybrid that includes all sorts of "bonus" cardio. Others of us (by which I mean me) do not believe in "extras" under any circumstances.

Jane -- Umm... "Plyo is cool" and "Running is fun" and you don't want to miss "Yoga and a few other classes"? SERIOUSLY? And you claim that you read all 12 pages of this board and yet still want to hop on??? HA HA HA I am nominating you for Mayor of the Crazy Train. Totally completely kidding of course. We lurve us some new people around here. Pull up a chair, grab a cocktail (by which I mean recovery drink of course), and tell all....

Y-- Once again you got an actual LOL out of me. The kind of LOL where you hope that no one else in the office actually heard the guffaw and called human resources. In my office (at least on my floor) we have offices, not cubes, but the unwritten rule is that doors are "open" unless you are working on a crazy deadline or are on the speakerphone (<< a way-too-frequently-breached "shut the *&$^ door" rule). Since virtually all of us have our backs to the door when facing the computer, the other unwritten rule is that when you seek entrance into the lair of another, you announce your presence in the doorway with a light tappity-tap on the (open) door. In an office with roughly 500 employees, exactly 499 have picked up on this oh-so-subtle unwritten rule. The ONE d*uche who cannot seem to recognize that this is a rule is on my floor. His tactic is exactly as you described. Just stand there shooting the laser-stare into the back of my head until I respond. Of course, this means I refuse to respond (I am not a genuinely bad person y'all, but this is intolerable in a world where an entire population has grasped a "subtlety" that one guy can't get -- from another planet I tell you). I KNOW he's there, I think he knows that I know he's there, but we have a silent war every time, which does not end until he buckles and gives me an audible of some sort. Together with the odiferous food-eaters, d00d is the bane of my existence.

Brem-go-- Hope the overnight shift went ok, and that there was no heavy lifting (for example, like lifting the toothbrush to your teeth). Having not done the X I fantasize about what Tony might have made you do today. These are very rich fantasies.

Allie & Brandon -- BIG shoutout and a group hug comin' your way....

Off to play Facebook poker and watch some mindless TV. I am a simple person peeps -- G'night.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:01 PM   #180  

p.s. Y -- a "potluck craze?" HA HA HA HA HA. I imagine miles of chafing dishes containing foods in which cream cheese and cream of mushroom soup are the core ingredients..... (I imagine this only because my favorite foods are the ones that contain cream cheese and cream of mushroom soup as the core ingredients). *Sigh* and LOL.