Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 01:56 PM   #391  

S/C/G: 268(2003) 186/182/146

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for the advice!

Gaylyn
Old 04-21-2006, 03:37 AM   #392  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Did my double kickboxing last night Was a bit tired and a little bit sore from my 2 hours in the gym the previous night, so nothing amazing! I did almost get into box splits though - I keep catching my calves on the floor so I need help to lift them up so I can get my bum on the floor!

I'm off to the gym tonight for legs, then it's then home to bed for some much needed R&R, then tomorrow morning is kickboxing again! Tomorrow afternoon is nap time though!

We're off to watch the marathon on Sunday, so that will be fun!

Food was good yesterday, no Hob Nobs but a tiny piece of chocolate after kickboxing. AND I didn't get up in the middle of the night and eat, which is progress for a Thursday night! I had a few peanuts and raisins before I went to sleep, which I think really did the trick! I'm hoping that I'll be so busy today that I won't be eating much, I have a huge fruit bowl on my desk to get through though, so we'll see how that goes!
Old 04-21-2006, 08:53 AM   #393  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Jenfrus? a long time ago someone told me that the reason some folks have a glass of warm milk at bedtime is that the calcium has some sort of relaxing effect. I didn't really think about it until now but ... I almost always have a bowl of yogurt, fruit and cottage cheese in the evening and I take a calcium supp then. I have been sleeping very well. In fact I don't even wake up for a drink of water.
Worth thinking about???
Old 04-21-2006, 09:32 AM   #394  
aka Superwoman!

Oooh yes perhaps! I still got up in the middle of the night, I usually have to pee halfway through! It's just on Thursdays I tend to eat too! I might have to start with the warm milk, it's luvverly!
Old 04-21-2006, 09:45 AM   #395  

Susan....that is an interesting theory.

For the past few years I have had trouble getting a good nights sleep, often tossing and turning only to fall asleep an hour before the alarm rings.

When I started watching my weight again I started chewing on 2 fruit flavored TUMS before bed just to satisfy my hankering for something sweet. I figured that the extra calcium was a good thing and it satisfied my need for a piece of "candy".

I never gave it any thought but I've been falling asleep better and most nights I sleep right through until about 6 am. Coincidence? I wonder.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:52 AM   #396  

Funny that this should come up. I was just reading about it in my Straight Dope book the other day.

Milk (and I assume other dairy products like yogurt) contains tryptophan which makes us feel drowsy. It is also found in turkey and is said to be one of the reasons we might feel especially tired after eating a lot of it at Thanksgiving.

If you warm the milk you end up with a double whammy because it raises your tempertaure by a degree or two which can trigger the same slow down mode our bodies go into on hotter days. Most other drinks that are served warm (coffee, hot chocolate) also have caffeine so the effect is negated. Many herbal teas have the same effect, though, and are sometimes recommended for people who are lactose intolerant.

The book also said that there is anecdotal evidence that warm milk reminds of of infancy and hence helps us "sleep like a baby." Personally, I think that might be taking a little far but, hey, I guess it is possible.

I had a great day yesterday. In fact, I've gotten a few great days under my belt. And, for the first time in a while, I can't wait for my weekly weigh in. I've exercised everyday and really thrown myself into the workout. It feels often. How on Earth did I let myself forget how much better I feel when I live this way? Live and learn!
Old 04-21-2006, 04:00 PM   #397  

Hey JenFrus???
What was that about the five lbs? I'm gonna scroll back and see. I was just doing some fitday reports! hehehe!
Old 04-21-2006, 04:02 PM   #398  
aka Superwoman!

Oh tell me about feeling better! I have zen coming out of my ears since my I even don't want chocolate! I must practise yoga every day! I like it, and I like the feeling afterwards, even if the guy was a bit of a hippy with a stripey tassled yoga mat!

My legs are all shakey after a nice weights workout and I've treated them with a hot bath. I'm off to get some ginger tea and read me some trash before I go to sleep!

Nighty night all
Old 04-21-2006, 04:02 PM   #399  
aka Superwoman!

Five pounds? What? That I've magically put on? You've lost me susan!
Old 04-21-2006, 04:06 PM   #400  

Oh my GOSH this thread has got long. I thought we talked about losing 5 lbs by May or something like that. Was I dreaming? I can't find the post either.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:09 PM   #401  
aka Superwoman!

Oh I remember! Yes, losing 5lbs by the end of April!! Well I am UP 5lbs... It's muscle

Old 04-21-2006, 04:23 PM   #402  

It's from taking the hobnobs from your desk drawers and into yer knicker drawers!
I'm just kidding Jen. I just can't get over the hobnobs in drawers thing. Too funny.
You'll make a lovely muscular bride!
Old 04-22-2006, 03:51 AM   #403  
aka Superwoman!

I think it's more the clotted cream, but the HobNobs in drawers was a goodun!!

I'm trying for a healthy, no binge weekend. It CAN be done! I CAN do it! I WILL do it! Right, off for some BfL apple pie!
Old 04-22-2006, 08:47 AM   #404  

I'm gonna say again how much I appreciate that 2frus posts before me every morning. She just plain cheers me up every time!

Did you sleep better?
Old 04-22-2006, 11:21 AM   #405  

2frus, I agree with Susan. Your posts make trying to lose these last pounds a lot less dreary!

Well, I'll go ahead and admit it - I stepped on the scale this morning. 144.6 Woohoo! Now, I won't record that because my "official" weigh in isn't until Wednesday and anything could happen. I knew that my recent eating habits had contributed a great deal of water weight and I know for certain that is what this loss is - but I'll take it! Any additional weight loss between now and Wednesday out to be pure fat though - I've been eating right, busting my butt at the gym and I FEEL the fat melting away. Look out 120 - HERE I COME!
Closed Thread