Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-11-2006, 07:48 PM   #106  

S/C/G: 187/171/130

Height: 5'4"

Sorry, that should be a 1.25 mile loop.
GenreGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:54 PM   #107  

Height: 5'5"

Lou, I took a look at the girlsruntoo.com beginner's program. While it starts off with a longer run than the c25k program, the running gradually increases from there. It look's like a good program. I know there was no way that I could have ran 2 minutes the first week. If you are able to, that's great!
webweevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:08 PM   #108  
Lose that Baby Weight!

S/C/G: 172/154/125

Height: 5'2

Hey ladies, I also post in cool runners thread not sure where everyone on this thread is at with running but you are so motivating to each other and every participates in this thread much more than the other running threads I am on.

Mind if I join in? I am on wk 8 of the c25k but I still need a walking break every once in a while so I am doing it until I can do the full 5k with no stopping.
Stephanie Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:23 AM   #109  

S/C/G: 176/162/119

Hello everyone, it's my rest day today so I haven't got anything interesting to say, I just thought I'd say hi

First of all, welcome Lou, it's great that you found the newbie running thread. This is a great group that is always offering each other a lot of support. Good luck with your running.

Idest it is great that you are not giving up, we would miss you, after all, you are the one who started this great thread. BTW, have you tried toe lifts, they are supposed to be really good for shin splints? You sit on a chair with your feet flat on the floor, and then lift your toes upwards while keeping the heal on the floor, as if you were tapping your feet. I've seen recommendations that you do this on both legs for around 50 reps, and you can do it throughout the day - even sitting at your desk! Sorry if you already know about this exercise!

GenreGirl your run sounds great. I prefer running towards a landmark than a time as well. It is somehow less stressful.

Stephie I've read your posts on the coolrunners thread, and you are doing so well. It is great that you want to post here as well, you'll get lots of adoration from us for your fantastic achievements, and you will give us the motivation to keep going! Don't feel bad for needing walking breaks, even YP1 and the other marathon runners in training mention that they need them occasionally.

I hope Shinking Mama, Webweevil and Softballmom are still doing well, although I think that softballmom said she was going on holiday this week so I don't expect we'll here from her for a few more days.

Pachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 07:36 AM   #110  

S/C/G: 196/163/155

Height: 5'10"

Wow! I love that we keep picking up new people!

lou, your program looks fine-- even though I know I couldn't have managed 2 minutes of running in the first week. As GenreGirl said, just make sure you run on a forgiving surface. As you're in London (whereabouts? My partner and I have a flat in Tooting, but we're mostly in NYC these days) I'm sure you've got a common nearby.

stephiewilliams, I've been following your progress in the cool runners threads-- you're doing great! I won't be joining those threads until I get over these shin splints and make it through C25k (I feel too wussy), and it will feel like graduating! And how nice to have you join us here!

Pachyderm, thanks for that exercise-- I actually hadn't seen it before. I'm doing it right now (even though it sort of messes up my typing-- like rubbing your tummy and patting your head)!

GenreGirl, I really like the idea of using landmarks... it's one I will take for myself once I get some distance under my belt. To me, a real runner isn't measuring time anyway, but distance. Of course, it'll be a while before I can call myself a real runner!
idest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:39 AM   #111  

Idest, I hope it works. I found it on the coolrunnings newbie boards and a lot of people said that they had found them excellent at stopping shin splints within a couple of weeks. One person had even previously fractured their shin bones and this was their recovery exercise. Even though I don't currently have problems with my shins, I'm doing it too - it can't hurt!
Old 07-12-2006, 09:00 AM   #112  

S/C/G: 196/163/155

Height: 5'10"

Pachy, thanks! I can really feel it in along my shins, so it's definitely doing something!
idest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:13 AM   #113  

S/C/G: 258/218/169

Height: 5'9"

Good morning everyone!

Idest - Your determination is inspiring! Just do what you can do at your own pace and you WILL get there! I'm glad you're not leaving us. It wouldn't be the same without you.

Webweevil - Glad you like your treadmill! I'd be lost without mine.

Pachyderm - Good to hear that you are running again!

Genregirl - I like the landmark idea too! Do you drive to measure the distance or not worry about it? Thanks for sharing. I can see myself using that.

Lou - Welcome! I could not have done two minutes the first week. You must be starting in better condition. Feel proud of those two minutes! Good luck!

StephieWilliams - Welcome! Glad you are here. I've read many of your posts. Congrats on coming so far! I just started week 5 and it has become more difficult. I was relieved to read one of your posts the other day where you said that it wasn't easy. I felt like I wasn't alone in feeling that way and that this is a big thing to accomplish. How did you do on the first 20 minute straight run? Any suggestions?

The Aunt - Welcome! I'm not sure about weight loss because I've taken two vacations during this time (and strayed a little with my eating) but I can say that my body has changed a lot. I feel great and I can see the difference.

So I decided to go ahead and start week 5. I did day 1 yesterday. The first five minutes were harsh but after that I got into a groove and it was ok. I'm feeling some anxiety over the twenty minutes that are coming on day 3. I'm planning that for Sat. Oh well, one run at a time and I still have to get through tomorrow's run first. I feel so good afterwards. Isn't it wonderful? I wonder why it took me so long to find this. Happy day to all!
Shrinking Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:39 AM   #114  

hi all...

thanks for the welcome..... !

the 1st min is ok.. the 2nd a little more of a challenge... ive been spinning quite a bit so my CV fitness is improving i think... since not doing anything for almost a year.. (off work with whiplash)

im running on the treadmill (so nice n bouncy) not brave enough to go out yet... so if i get tired i dont have to go fat to get changed haha..

went to try out pilates this am.... more trixy than it looks.. lol.. trying to balance on a ball lol... I WILL DO IT !...

will go spinning tonight and run 2mo...

we live near angel (N1).. there is a park not so far from us.. maybe we will get out to run @ the weekend... if feeling brave ! lol..

Question:.... my gf has pains in her inner thigh after running last night... is this from over streching (to wide stride) ????

well i better go n get on with some jobs.. i need to clean the fridge .. got Tescos coming tonight...

happy running ... keep at it

lou x
lou1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:17 AM   #115  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou1978
Question:.... my gf has pains in her inner thigh after running last night... is this from over streching (to wide stride) ????
I'm afraid I don't know about that, but when I first started running I got strange pains all over, so it could be nothing important. I got a lot of pain in the front of my neck which is very wierd , but as I progressed it went away.

It could be from a wide stride, and certainly advice to newbie runners is not to take too wide a stride until your body gets more used to it. Alternatively, (unless pain started during run) it could just be due to too much lactic acid from not stretching those muscles enough after the run. As long as it doesn't feel really bad, she could try again and see what happens. If it is bad she should rest, ice and consider seeing a doctor, or consult a trainer/member of staff at the gym who may have more knowledge about this.

Sorry I couldn't be more help
Old 07-12-2006, 11:55 AM   #116  

Height: 5'5"

Hi all! It is good to see so many people posting on this thread. I did something either very brave or stupid today. I registered for the IronGirl run/walk 5k event coming to Tampa on September 30. I signed up as a walker because I am realistic enough to know that I won't be running 5k by then. Anyway, it look's like it will be a nice event with shirts, prizes, food, and music.
webweevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 03:39 PM   #117  
Lose that Baby Weight!

S/C/G: 172/154/125

Height: 5'2

I am so stressed. I am so lucky to have found running. I am going to go out this evening/afternoon on my serene trail and just put my agression to the pavement. Angry running is really powerful, its like you can feel things getting better and it is killer for your speed as well lol.

pachy - thank you for the compliment...I am trying to dedicate myself to running. It is so hard and it just feels good to be making progress at something so rewarding.

idest - I was very lucky so far to not have had any injuries. Take care of those shin splints...health first.

shrinkingmama - On my first 20 minute run well I knew ahead of time it was going to be brutal so to make myself get through it I took it slow...the only tips I have are to go slower if you are having trouble and make sure to stretch your calves before starting the 20...that is when your body really starts to get put to the test on the program.

lou - try running outside lou...I know I don't check out the other runners (unless they look like supermodels then I use them for inspiration. I felt self conscious too so I bought some running shorts and put spandex under them...helps to suck in the thighs a bit...controls the jigglies.

webweevil - You can run 5k by sept 30 that is about 2 months from now...perfect for the c25k...as well as you can take walking breaks even as a runner if you need to. I hope after the next two months you are able to change your mind
Stephanie Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:07 PM   #118  

yup.. i hate the jiggley feeling..

it will be a gd day when i dont have that anymore haha
lou1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:49 PM   #119  

S/C/G: 187/171/130

Height: 5'4"

Talking Hi Everyone~

Today was a rest day. Good thing too- it was over 90 degrees (F) by noon.

ShrinkingMama- I run in the National Park near my house along 3 trails that interconnect. The Park Service has measured the mileage at certain intersections & so I have to trust that they were accurate.

StephieWIlliams-Welcome! I love to hear the stories & adventures others have along the way. It's all very encouraging & uplifting for me.

Webweevil- YAY! For being brave enough to sign up, no matter if you walk or run.

Tomorrow we're going on a trail hike hunting for the falls. WIsh us luck!
GenreGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:13 AM   #120  

I was supposed to run this morning, but I have a stinking cold so I decided to have an early night last night and a lie in this morning, and then run this evening. Now I find out some friends from miles away are in the area this evening and want to go out to dinner. They plan to arrive at my house at 5.30, and if I push it I can be home by 5.20 so when do I get my run??? It is strange but I am becoming really attached to my runs. Maybe I can get the afternoon off sick so I can go for my run! Don't think I could do that though, I'd feel too guilty, but my boss is being a cow at the moment so the thought is tempting!

Hope everyone else is enjoying their running