Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-09-2006, 02:21 PM   #241  

Just wanted to thank everyone for the encouragement... I made it all the way through week 4 day 1/2/3 (all the workouts are the same). I actually felt really good, and did 2.01 miles in 28 minutes.
eadavenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:25 PM   #242  
Mighty Mom

S/C/G: 155/153/135

Height: 5'6"

Hello runners! I have been lurking for a few weeks and have to tell you all that you have inspired me so much. I am only on week 2 day 2, but since there are a couple of others here at the same level as me, I thought I'd de-lurk. I could use all the support I can get! I am tired of being tired. Sick of feeling shlumpy (I don't think that is a real word, but you know what I mean). I am going to be healthy and look good too! All of you who are running 5, 6, 7 or more miles at a shot are my heroes. Thanks for posting your journey.

Elizabeth
Twenty2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:01 PM   #243  

S/C/G: 165/152/123

Height: 5'1"

Welcome Twenty2Lose! Love your puppies.. Beagles? We have two sister bassetts at home that are 9 mos old. Endearing and slobbery. Gotta love 'em though!!

Looks like I'm headed to the inside track. Temps are still high 90s, and I'm sure heat index is close to 100, if not over. I'll report back tomorrow. Should be a 10min run/3min walk/10min run.
softballmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:40 PM   #244  
Lose that Baby Weight!

S/C/G: 172/154/125

Height: 5'2

Kel - Welcome to the addicted to running thread hehe Good Luck with the program

Finn - congrats on your progress so far, doesn't it feel great to get out there and just run. It feels especially great when you feel yourself progressing and getting better. Welcome to the forum.

webweevil - look at you go girl, you are just sticking it to this program!

softball mom - I try to run just as the sun is going down, is that an option for you? Its also beautiful to be outside then, with the sunset and all...

twenty2lose - Love your avatar too cute I know what shlumpy means lol all to well. Good luck with your running.
Stephanie Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:48 PM   #245  
Fat to PHAT!!

S/C/G: 255/234/155

Height: 5'7"

Wink Trouble on the front...

Look out the Newbies are attacking!!!!

Anyway, I am very, very, VERY happy to have some other folks just startin out too!! Nice to meet you all!!

And thanks to all you guys who've been here a while. You were helping me before you even knew it!!!
TiredofWeightin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 05:12 AM   #246  

Height: 5' 7''

Hi everyone, so I did my week2 d2 run yesterday; I found it really tough but I got through it okay. I'm thinking its because I did it on my way home from work at 5:30pm and hadn't anything to eat since 12:30.

Question;What do you guys eat and how long before each run?

To the girls who are on weeks 4+; I can't even imagine being that far along - well done, I'm proud of you for sticking to it! :-)
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 05:29 AM   #247  

S/C/G: 176/162/119

to everyone who has de-lurked!

My internet has not been working again. Every time it rains we lose the connection, and we've been having lots of light showers - bah!

Congratulations to everyone on their progress. Twenty2lose and Finn you are at the exact same stage to the day, and TiredofWeightin seems to be just about there as well. You wouldn't believe that Softballmom, Shrinkingmama, Webweevil, Idest and me were all at the same stage when we started as well.

Went for another cycle ride on Tuesday, 13 miles this time. Unfortunately the saddle has literally rubbed me raw in all sorts of personal areas so I'll have to find something else to do tonight! I hope to get back to running for Sunday, although I can't say I'm pain free yet.
Pachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:32 AM   #248  

Height: 5'5"

Hi all! I got a third w5d1 run in. I think I am ready to move on.

Finn, I've found that I prefer running in the morning. I might have a small snack before beginning the run but usually wait until afterwards. If it was a longer run, I would definitely eat before. As far as what I eat, I need to re-examine my choices and amount of foods but know myself. If I changed my eating while starting an exercise program, I would end up quiting both when one wasn't going so well. I want to finish the c25k program and move on to the one hour running program before worrying about changing my bad eating habits. Crazy I know, but that's just me.
webweevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:55 AM   #249  

Stephie - I could run later, but knowing myself, it's better that I immediately do my exercising before going home. I would like to do it in the AM, but I would be running in the dark. My neighborhood has huge hills that I'm not quite ready for yet, and going to the park or nearby trail that early would be disallowed by my dh for safety reasons. Edited: Let's just say, be careful of your surroundings when running alone. I've just become hyper-sensitive of some news bulletins recently, but I don't want crazy people deterring me from something that I am learning to love.

I did take it inside yesterday, and did quite well. I really think I'm ready for the longer times that week 7+ calls for. I will do a repeat of D3W6 which is a 25 minute run on Friday. And will move on in to week 7, going inside if I need to due to heat. Our temps this weekend, though, look to be in the upper 80s!! I know I will miss this warmth come January, but I am so ready for a little cooler temps! At least to get the heat index out of the 90-100 range.

Keep runnin'

Last edited by softballmom; 08-10-2006 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:56 AM   #250  

Finn, I missed your post, sorry.

I usually run in the morning and then I have a piece of malt loaf before I go, then have breakfast when I get back (Porrige - mmmmm) .

Recently I've been exercising in the evening because I can't get myself out of bed in the mornings. I exercise after work and before dinner, but I do make sure that I have a snack (malt loaf or mixed nuts and raisins) and drink a pint of water about an hour/hour and a half before I go out, then another glass of water just before I go. Depending on who's turn it is to cook that night, I then eat between 10 and 50 minutes after getting back.

My best pre-run snacks are malf loaf, energy/cereal bars and bananas. If eating meals before exercising, you would need to wait an hour to even 2 hours if they were very big meals.

I find my biggest problem with exercising in the morning is getting enough water before I go. If I drink too soon before running I get a slooshy feeling in my stomach and feel ill, and if I don't drink before running i get dehydrated and feel ill! However, I'm not one to get out of bed early either!

Hope this helps
Old 08-10-2006, 10:54 AM   #251  

Height: 5' 7''

Cool thanks girls.
I was finding that I was really hungry when exercising after work/before dinner and as I start work at 8am morning isn't really an option for me either.
I started C25k a few weeks back in the late evenings after dinner and just felt myself getting really queasy so backed off for a while and went back to walking.

Thanks for your posts back, I'll definitely eat some fruit/snack before the treadmill tomorrow, hopefully that will help me keep up with the program.
Finn.
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:26 AM   #252  

Sorry Finn, I missed your question as well. I run right after work so that it gets done before heading home and being confronted with chores and family. I definitely drink water all day long leading up to the run and take a bottle with me. I try to snack on something very light, like a piece of fruit about 30m-1h prior. Pachy is correct about eating anything heavy prior to the run, not a good idea. I eat within an hour of coming back in, as well.

Pachy, how do you enjoy cycling? Is this inside machine or outside bicycle? I would like to bike more as a crosstraining to the running. Even thought about cycling in to work, but not sure my co-workers would appreciate the sweaty smell
Old 08-10-2006, 11:42 AM   #253  

I love cycling normally, but my current saddle is veeeerrrrry uncomfortable. I am now on my fourth saddle, and this is the most uncomfortable I've had. I have just ordered a new one and I am waiting for it to arrive with surprising levels of excitement!

I cycle outside on the lovely quiet roads of rural England. Unfortunately I also have to face busy roads with some very bad drivers to get to these quite roads! Cycling is supposed to be excellent cross-training for runners so that is a bonus.

I often cycle into work which is a 13 mile round trip. I do arrive very sweaty and beetroot in colour. We don't have showers, but I wash under my arms/face/chest in the ladies bathroom, reapply deodorant and change my clothes (I bring a change in my panniers). Then I just try to avoid being too close to anyone until I have cooled down. No-one has ever commented about smell or tried to run away from me when I come into a room so I think that works ok!

Try it. Start off doing it 1-2 times a week and see how it goes. As time goes on I bet you'll really enjoy it. I feel a lot calmer on the days when I've cycled to work than when I drive!
Old 08-10-2006, 01:25 PM   #254  

Thanks Pachy. Our company doesn't have showers either, so I like your advice about doing what you can. My round trip would only be about 7 miles - so it's doable. I would, however, be on main, busy roads all the way in with the exception of some sidewalks closer to work. Prob not as beautiful on the scenery, but it would save gas and get me extra exercise. Will need to get the bike checked out more thoroughly since I seldom use it. Think I may pay more attention to my commute with this in mind, see if I have a chance of getting home without getting hit by a stupid driver.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:49 PM   #255  
Fat to PHAT!!

S/C/G: 255/234/155

Height: 5'7"

Default W1d2

Okey, yesterday was only my second time to run, EVER, and I was very surprised by it!! I found that I could stabilize my breathing much better and that if I did get winded, I recovered pretty quickly. I was not as sore afterward either and today I am not sore at all. I have been trying to include some extra general walking each day too. I have started parking in the furtherst parking lot and avoiding the shuttle bus. I now walk down the stairs to the first floor to use the restroom and then climb them again. I work on the 6th floor of my building and with all the water I am drinking, I am going up and down at least 3-4 times a day!

I feel better throughout the day and I have more energy. So all that exercise propaganda was actually true!! WOW!!!
TiredofWeightin is offline   Reply With Quote