Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-30-2006, 07:39 AM   #76  

S/C/G: 196/163/155

Height: 5'10"

Hi everyone,

my shin splints are starting to feel better, but I'm going to lay off the walk/run intevrals until after the 4th. I notice when I put on heels for work that my shins are still quite sore, so I think I'll remain cautious. In the meantime I'm still going to Curves and doing as much walking as I can fit in (we're going up to Vermont to visit friends this weekend, so I'll get some hiking in). I'm also wondering if, when I go back to the intervals, I should start back up on treadmill-- if it would be bouncier and easier on my shins until I build up the strength and endurance. Trouble is, I'd have to join a "real gym" to do that...

webweevil and Pachyderm, I'm so sorry to hear that you both have Pes anserine bursitis! I guess we've all learned a good lesson about careful running practices, eh? I'm going to double my stretching time and ALWAYS run on a proper track surface. And yes, I'm bummed about not running, too... maybe the three of us will be able to get back to it at about the same time-- that would be great!

softballmom, you're my role model. Once I get back on the track I'm going to need you to remind me to ignore the mind games AND my talking legs!

Shrinking Mama, genregirl, and muffin, check in and let us know how it's going!
idest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:12 AM   #77  

S/C/G: 165/152/123

Height: 5'1"

Hello everybody! I was able to do Day 2 Week 3 last night. Not too bad. I'm realizing it's the first half that is the toughest. I seem to gain energy and momentum about half way through and can finish somewhat easier.

Idest, webweevil, and Pachyderm, I'm bummed too for you, but I'll still be here rooting you on. Please just take of yourselves. I find that when I run on a soft, even track etc it is much better for me. I tried the uneven grass and an inside track at the community center, and both gave my knees little aches after the run. I've also been very careful to make sure I stretch after the 5 min brisk walk before I start running. This, IMO, has really helped me to go further and without a lot of discomfort.

Shrinking Mama, Genregirl, and muffin, keep up the work and do keep checking in.
softballmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:00 AM   #78  

S/C/G: 176/162/119

Go softballmom! I was finding it easier in the second half of the 3 minutes as well, at the end of my d2w3 I ran for 3 minutes 40 because I forgot to look at the stopwatch, and I started running at a faster pace after the 2 minute mark. Very strange

We haven't heard from Muffin since the beginning of the week. I hope your running is going ok

Webweevil, my knees are very strange. I hurt them last wednesday when I ran over rough ground. I felt the pain start, but it seemed to ease off once I hit a smooth surface so I kept going. Then I basically forgot about it, the pain was very minor and I didn't feel it when I walked. I ran again on the Friday and felt the pain only when running. I took the weekend to rest, and started on week 3 on Monday on completely flat ground to be on the safe side. I felt no pain when running at all, but did get a few twinges when walking Then on wednesday I felt very little pain while running, but once I had got home and stretched the pain started and got worse during the course of the day. It sometimes hurt to walk. Yesterday the pain at my bursa on the inside of my knees was still quite bad, but I had also started getting pain and strange, tight, uncomfortable feelings around my kneecap. Today the pain from my bursa is much less, but the inflamation around my knees is worse and this is causing the pain and discomfort around my kneecaps which I feel when sitting and walking up or downstairs (but wierdly not when walking on the flat). I am basically a very strange person. I was doing stretching before and after running as the cool-runnings site suggests, but my lower leg does have a slight turnout. What is wierd though is that I haven't noticed this while running. When I look at my feet they always seem to be pointing straight forward. I have started doing exercises to strengthen my inner hamstrings in the hope that this will pull my lower leg around!

Idest, I am glad that your shin splints are improving. Something I read said that to reduce the risk of shin splints you need to strengthen the muscle that runs along the front of your shin. You can do this by hooking your feet under something heavy, and using only your feet, try to pull it towards you. Alternatively, put one foot on top of the other and try to pull up on the lower one while pushing down on the upper one. Obviously you shouldn't try to do this until your shin splints are better. Have a great time in Vermont

Have a great weekend everyone, and I hope that webweevil and Idest recover soon
Pachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:25 PM   #79  

Sorry I haven't been checking in as much. I'm taking a summer class and its taking all my time away! Its over in two weeks though. I did day 2 of week 2 yesturday (correctly this time) and I was more tired after doing 90/120 than 90/90.

Sorry to hear, well read, about the pains and aches everyones having. Hope it gets better soon!
muffin0608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:04 PM   #80  

S/C/G: 187/171/130

Height: 5'4"

Talking Evening All

I'm sorry to hear that injuries are sidelining some of us. This has been a very fun & inspirational thread for me. I hope everyone who is hurt finds good therapies to help them heal quickly & thoroughly.

As for myself this week has gone very well despite the deluge of rain. I think the secret this week was doing intervals on a short loop which goes down a wooded hillside & the encouragement of our youngest son.

Monday & Tuesday I ran one loop & walked one loop. I found myself chanting the "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can" mantra whilst staggering uphill. Meantime our youngest son trotted alongside nearly the entire way. Golly I felt so out of shape!

We did these intervals two days in a row at the encouragement of my son, "C'mon, mom, we had lots of fun yesterday! Lets do it again!! It isn't raining so hard today, mom. C'mon, mom, let's go!" Wed. I had to take a skip day because of schedule issues. Thurs. we did a trail hike out to an old abandoned farm.

Today I did intervals out on the road. 8 reps of- 3 min. walk 3 min run with a 5 minute warm up & 5 min. cool down. Again, son kept me company, this time on his scooter. Chattered like a magpie. He was great. He helped keep my mind off the clock & ensured I ran slow enough to be able to answer his chit chat with little phrases.

Today was the first time I felt my old rhythm return- breathing, stride, focus. Maybe I can do this after all!

Have a great weekend everyone!
GenreGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 08:43 AM   #81  

Height: 5'5"

This might be of interest to some of you. Road Runners Club of America lists road races around the country. We were talking about how signing up for a race can be motivating. Just click on your state to find upcoming races in your area.

http://www.rrca.org/calendar/
webweevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:23 PM   #82  

Hi everyone. Got Week 3 Day 3 done this morning before all the softball games got started (just getting home). Ended up running an extra 5 minutes at the end of the complete segment because it was cool out and my body was so energized! So I'm pretty sure that Monday night for Week 4 will not be so bad. Just playing each day as they come.

Hope all the injuries are being taken care of and all of you sidelined will soon be up and running.

Genregirl: Aren't kids great for motivation! Good for him keeping up with you, or should I say, good for you for keeping up with him

Webweevil: Thanks for the website on races. As soon as I graduate from C25K and know that I can run a 5k without killing myself or my self esteem, I want to sign up for one.

Best to everyone, and enjoy the July 4 celebrations!
Old 07-03-2006, 07:34 AM   #83  

Go softballmom and genregirl! Well done on the running, it sounds like you're making great progress.

Muffin, that is very strange. Was it hot or something? I'm sure these early kinks will work themselves out as you move through the programme. I hope that your third run of the week was better, and that week 3 starts well for you.

Good luck for week 4 tonight softballmom, I am so jealous!

I hope that Idest and Webweevil are getting better. My knees are slowly on the mend, and I am hoping that I will be able to return to running next week. I'll probably have to go back to week 2 though as I don't want to push my knees too quickly!

Keep running everyone
Old 07-04-2006, 10:14 AM   #84  

Hope everyone in the States is having a fun and safe 4th of July.

I completed Day 1 of Week 4 last night. It reminded me of Day 1 Week 2 when I had a struggle between my mind and body. But I conquered and won! I'm beginning to feel like a runner

Can't wait for everyone to get back at it (as soon as you can)! I will be repeating Week 4 again next week since we will be on vacation. Week 5's days are all different, ending in a 20 minute run with no walk. I would rather have a schedule in my head without having to think + my husband would like to run with me and the 8 minutes on Day 2 scare him I will probably add some extra minutes at the end of each segment next week to make it challenging and prepare me more for Week 5.

Best to all of you....
Old 07-04-2006, 10:35 AM   #85  
No description available.

Hi all! I skim this thread from time to time and you all are doing so GREAT!! I love running and exercising with my kids, too, Genre Girl. I will run on rare occasions with DH, but I run 12 minute miles and he runs 7 minute miles, so it doesn't always work out so great!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:00 AM   #86  

I am so proud and envious of you Softballmom. Week four is five minutes of running in between short walks!!!! It sounds extremely difficult to me. Great job!
Old 07-04-2006, 12:08 PM   #87  

Well done softballmom for making your mind conquer your body. You are doing so well and becoming a real runner . I expect that the rest of the week will get easier as it has in the past (that is until week 5!).

Go softballmom
Old 07-04-2006, 08:07 PM   #88  

S/C/G: 187/171/130

Height: 5'4"

Red face Today's Progress

I went by myself & did intervals today. The temperature was in the upper 80's when I left the house, so I had the kids stay home. I managed 4 min. run/3 min. walk x6. Then managed another 2 min. run before I totally ran out of gas.

I was still a mile away from my car so I walked the last bit back. I really wanted to do 8 repeats, but I just couldn't make it. In retrospect, the heat had gotten up to 92 F when I got home & I think it sapped me alot.

Midwife, I've really enjoyed exercising with the kids. They've so much pep & they love to be outside. Hopefully we're creating both memories & habits that will last a lifetime.

Softballmom- Sounds like you're making good progress. I hope your DH exercises with you next week. I agree that after a while running is mainly mind over body.
GenreGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:33 PM   #89  

S/C/G: 196/163/155

Height: 5'10"

Hi everyone! Hope you all had a great holiday weekend!

My shins feel pretty good after more than a week off, so I'm going to try again tomorrow. I think I'll have to repeat week two, though.

softballmom, wow! You're on week 4! WAY TO GO ! ! ! !

GenreGirl, good to see you back and hear about your running schedule and progress!

Pachyderm, so glad to hear your knees are starting to feel better. Let us know when you're back on the track so we can cheer you on.

webweevil, when do you expect to be running again? Or have you started already?

muffin, thanks for checking in
idest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:33 PM   #90  

Hi Idest! My knees finally started feeling a little better on Monday. Today I did an extremely slow 30 minute walk on my new treadmill. I'll probably spend a week walking, gradually picking up the pace to a brisk walk. I am guessing I'll start up on the C25K program late next week, maybe Thursday. It's been two weeks since the injury and I don't want to take a chance of re-injuring myself.

Have you decided what you are going to do to prevent further shin-splits? Are you going to run on or off pavement?