Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 09:40 AM   #121  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

I did my first 5k yesterday! It was so much fun! I loved it!
Old 09-13-2009, 02:56 PM   #122  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Default 20 mile race report!

Alright everyone,
just finished my 2nd 20 miler of marathon training......Went EVER so much better than the first!!! Dont get me wrong, running 20 miles hurts, no matter how well it goes, but this time the weather cooperated (race started out about 50 degrees, and at the end was prob around 70 degrees) I drank lots of gatorade, paced myself almost FLAWLESSLY at a 9 minute mile, and get this------ i got SECOND PLACE overall!!! Can you believe it?!?! i mean, not to burst my own bubble, but it was kinda by de facto, considering only about 15 runners completed the full 20 miles, but still!! I got a cool 2nd place medal, and my finishing time was 3 hr 02 min!!! I was trying to pace myself for 3 hours (thats a 9 min mile) so i came pretty close. Overall im very pleased, and QUITE sore in my butt and hamstrings, but i will live....... I only have one more 20 mile training run before the marathon, and im feeling much better about the whole thing!
Old 09-13-2009, 03:36 PM   #123  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
Alright everyone,
just finished my 2nd 20 miler of marathon training......Went EVER so much better than the first!!! Dont get me wrong, running 20 miles hurts, no matter how well it goes, but this time the weather cooperated (race started out about 50 degrees, and at the end was prob around 70 degrees) I drank lots of gatorade, paced myself almost FLAWLESSLY at a 9 minute mile, and get this------ i got SECOND PLACE overall!!! Can you believe it?!?! i mean, not to burst my own bubble, but it was kinda by de facto, considering only about 15 runners completed the full 20 miles, but still!! I got a cool 2nd place medal, and my finishing time was 3 hr 02 min!!! I was trying to pace myself for 3 hours (thats a 9 min mile) so i came pretty close. Overall im very pleased, and QUITE sore in my butt and hamstrings, but i will live....... I only have one more 20 mile training run before the marathon, and im feeling much better about the whole thing!
MK, you're good!!

Well, I finished my 10k in 1hr18 mins but I did finish ....
Old 09-13-2009, 03:37 PM   #124  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzyg View Post
I did my first 5k yesterday! It was so much fun! I loved it!
Isn't it fun?!?! ... I had a great time this year too and the weather was perfect....
Old 09-13-2009, 03:39 PM   #125  
Ilene the Bean

momof5k -- don<t worry about the running in front of others, NO ONE notices you, but EVERYONE admires you for doing it period!!
Old 09-13-2009, 04:10 PM   #126  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
momof5k -- don<t worry about the running in front of others, NO ONE notices you, but EVERYONE admires you for doing it period!!
I have to agree. I've been running outside in public, since the end of May. Rarely does anyone even notice me, but the few times I've gotten comments, they've been good! And at the 5k I did this weekend, there were people of all fitness levels there - and everyone was so nice and encouraging. People were scattered on the route cheering everyone on. And I'm so slow too, your best time is just about my best time for a 5k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
Isn't it fun?!?! ... I had a great time this year too and the weather was perfect....
I loved it! I cant wait to do it again! My Dad and I are planning a 10k when he gets home next May. I cant wait!
Old 09-13-2009, 07:24 PM   #127  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post

Ilene--WOW! A 10K is incredible. That is what I aspire to. Is this your first formal one? I never have done even a 5K. The idea of being around the runners sort of weirds me out a little. I am not used to being on THIS team! I need to SO get over it, realize I am fit and run like the wind---like when I am alone. Well, I shouldn't really say wind--more like an active breeze. LOL
The 10 K was incredible Thighs, I finishes in 1:18, yep I was pretty much "an active breeze" too
Old 09-13-2009, 07:45 PM   #128  

S/C/G: 156/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Wow, so many wonderful runs! How inspiring!

Momof5k - Good for you for reaching your goal this week! That's a great achievement!

Lizzy - Congrats on the 5k!! I actually still haven't done my first race but I'm sure it was exhilarating and fun and I'm so glad you had such a great experience!

Thighs - 4 miles! Rock on! Especially after being sore from rock climbing. You've totally inspired me to try it out, if I can find somewhere around here. Sounds awesome!

Ilene - Congrats!! That's a kick *** time for a 10K and honestly, just finishing is impressive enough as it is!

Mk - I'm so happy your 20miler went so well! Damn girl, 2nd place? That's AMAZING! You're so ready for your marathon. I can't wait to hear all about it!

As for me, I put my crappy run from Friday behind me and had a fantastic run this morning. 6 miles outside! My longest outdoor run yet! I paced myself really well and stayed at a comfortable 10min/mile so I finished in 61 minutes and wasn't all that exhausted. I finally feel ready for my 10K!
Old 09-13-2009, 08:25 PM   #129  

I found out my time and where I placed lol I did awesome

176 out of 183. And it took me 44:59. The hills on this route killed me, since I've been doing about 43 mins for 3.2 miles. But thats ok. I obviously didn't do it to win it. But seeing it in the paper, really makes me want to do another one and do better!!

And wow, 6 miles, thats awesome TC! You'll have fun at your first race!
Old 09-13-2009, 08:44 PM   #130  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Hi everyone, just checking in. I finished my first 5k today in 34:02...I'm actually really happy with the time. Apparently the race route that I have been practicing on was not a full 3.1 miles.. it is 2.8. Gee no wonder I was finishing in 30 minutes!

Anyway I am really happy with that time. It is actually my fastest true 5k time yet, and it even included some walking. I learned a LOT from my first race... mainly... DON'T START FAST! I knew it, I read about it, but the excitement and adrenaline got the better of me and I petered out about halfway up the 1 mile uphill. I got a MAJOR side stitch from running too fast and it crippled me the rest of the way. I kept having to stop and walk for 10-15 second increments. But I was 1) not last (more like in the middle) and 2) the 5k walkers who started 15 minutes later did not overtake me, so overall I am happy.

I was pretty bummed after the race.. I think I could have done better but I learned so much and I had a great time. I am looking at a 5k in October and then my 10k in November.

Anyway, I've attached two photos from the race... I had so much fun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg race2.jpg (36.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg race1.jpg (21.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 09-13-2009, 10:16 PM   #131  
Ilene the Bean

Lizzy, great time!!

Fat Pants, you look great!!

TC, you are sooo ready for that 10K
Old 09-14-2009, 09:36 AM   #132  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

Height: 5'2"

Congratulations everyone on your races.

I am going to attempt my long run today. I have been on a week-long hiatus and just started up again friday. So I getting my groove back. I have a few races coming up but the ones I am anxious about is the 10 miler and then the HM.

TC - 6 miles Outside WTG!!!!! It feels good don't it?

Last edited by CakeBatter; 09-14-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:43 PM   #133  

S/C/G: 259/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Hello everyone! I've been peeking in on this thread for a couple of weeks or so and I'd love to join if you'll have me.

I'm not sure if I'd call myself a full-fledged runner just yet, as I'm still working on completing the C25K, but I had a dream last night that I ran an hour and 25 mins straight so maybe that's a sign?

Anyway, you ladies are so inspiring and I'd love to you join you! I've signed up for my first 5K on October 3rd and that happens to be the day of my last C25K run. I figured I'd end the program with a bang.

I look forward to getting to know you all!
Old 09-14-2009, 02:10 PM   #134  
Ilene the Bean

Hi Sandye and to being a runner...
Old 09-14-2009, 03:46 PM   #135  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Howdy all - I was out of town for a few days and missed a bunch of big accomplishments - congratulations all around!
MK - if a girl can be a stud, you definitely are! Wow. Serious wow.
TC - woohoo on 6 miles outside - happy dance!
Fatpants - love love love the new avatar! Way to go on your race - I'm so happy for you!!!

We hiked in Aspen on Friday - 7 miles at altitude and it was so much easier than our shorter, lower hikes at the beginning of the summer when I was heavier and hadn't been running so much so I was pretty happy about that.

Just ran 3 miles today (didn't have time for a longer one) and did it in 30 minutes so those were 10-minute miles from ms. slowpoke - small happy dance! I'll run longer tomorrow and I'm sure I'll slow right down again but it's nice to know I can do it if necessary : )

Thanks, ladies, for being here and being inspiring!
Closed Thread