Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 12:36 AM   #76  

S/C/G: 270.6/161.0/150

Height: 5'8"

Oh my. If a 9 minute mile is a slow poke around here I must be....hmmmm...on the wrong thread

I am just pleased to be running at all, even if I am running slowly. Waking up at 2:30 in the morning to run a half marathon is most definitely not in my future. Hats off to those of you that commited!!

My big goal is to someday get below the 30 minute mark for a 5K (hangs head in shame)
Old 09-09-2009, 12:46 AM   #77  

S/C/G: 156/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof5k View Post
Oh my. If a 9 minute mile is a slow poke around here I must be....hmmmm...on the wrong thread

I am just pleased to be running at all, even if I am running slowly. Waking up at 2:30 in the morning to run a half marathon is most definitely not in my future. Hats off to those of you that commited!!

My big goal is to someday get below the 30 minute mark for a 5K (hangs head in shame)
You are most definitely in the right place!!! A huge CONGRATS to you on getting out there and running, because honestly, it's freakin hard! We all have completely different goals, commitments (I'm single, no one else to take care of!), schedules, limitations and desires in life, so as impossible as it may seem sometimes, you just can't compare yourself to others. You should be so incredibly proud that you're doing such great things for your mind and body.

And there will be no hanging of your head in shame!!! I think it's awesome that you have a goal in mind, whatever that goal may be! My goals are what keep me going and make me push through the hard times. If you want to know something funny, when I first started running (in April), my first goal was to run a 5K in 31 minutes (slower than your goal now!). It took some time but I made it and my goals just keep getting reshaped as I go along, so you may find that to be the case for you as well! Either way, we're all here to support each other and I'm happy for anyone who takes up running/walking/jogging at any speed for any distance because it rocks!
Old 09-09-2009, 01:03 AM   #78  

Thanks takingcharge
Old 09-09-2009, 07:21 AM   #79  

S/C/G: 140/127/120

Height: 5'2"

Runners -- you are all very impressive!

One more question -- what do you do when it rains? I'm a "fair weather" jogger and usually don't run when it rains, but now that I'm getting a bit more dedicted I'd like to run in light rain. Do you have a special jacket that is waterproof? ... pants too?

LOL -- I recently "pushed" myself to run 15 minute miles. I get passed by walkers all the time, but I'm very proud of myself for just getting out there!
Old 09-09-2009, 08:50 AM   #80  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

TC - thanks for the suggestions on tapering. Nice to know I'm not the only one that has a hard time sitting out for a week!

momof5k - pffft, I run about an 11-min mile, I'm very slow! Have you ever read anything by John Bingham? He wrote a great book called "Running for Mortals" (well that's just one of his great books). It's all about beginning running, but the biggest thing I got from it was that it was ok to go slow... just listen to your body, and you will improve speed over time. I would LOVE to have a sub-30 5k! Did you know my goal for my first 5k is to just run the entire thing? Don't care (or at least I tell myself I don't care) if it takes me 35 minutes or what... as long as I run it, I'll be happy!

My taper plan yesterday was not successful.... I ran 3 miles, going for my fastest time yet, and then went on a 3-mile walk with DH later! So I guess it was successful in that I had a great run, which I wasn't expecting to since I'd run the previous two days. Why is it that our runs are so fickle?!
Old 09-09-2009, 08:51 AM   #81  
Crazy runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay77 View Post
Runners -- you are all very impressive!

One more question -- what do you do when it rains? I'm a "fair weather" jogger and usually don't run when it rains, but now that I'm getting a bit more dedicted I'd like to run in light rain. Do you have a special jacket that is waterproof? ... pants too?

LOL -- I recently "pushed" myself to run 15 minute miles. I get passed by walkers all the time, but I'm very proud of myself for just getting out there!
I don't have any special rain gear... I just go. Usually by the time I'm done with my runs, I'm soaking from sweat anyway so it doesn't feel any different than getting rained on haha.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:21 AM   #82  

fatpants Even an 11 minute mile is beyond me but...like you said, I am still shocked I can run 3 miles at all so I am staying focused on that Even if I still have a walk break or two, tha's okay.

That book sounds like just what I need. Thanks! I'll look for it.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:15 AM   #83  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Howdy all! I'm a proud member of the slowpokes club too - 12min miles are a new thing for me! I did check to see what the difference between jogging and running is for anyone who's interested since I didn't want to give anyone the wrong idea by saying I run. Running is a form of motion, not a speed thing so you could conceivably "run" at slower than walking speed. So, if anyone asks now about what I do for exercise, you betcha I'm proudly saying I run As far as running in the rain, if it's warm out, I go in my normal gear (and count myself lucky as I especially like running in the rain and rain is rare here in Denver). If it's colder, I add a light waterproof jacket with vents. No run for me today but I'm going to shoot for 5.6 miles tomorrow which is long for me - we'll see how it goes.

Hope all your miles are good ones!
Old 09-09-2009, 12:09 PM   #84  

I love the support here! Just puts a smile on my face

Fatpants - I live in LA so I can't help you too much. I'm such a baby about any temp that's not in the 70s so winter might be tough. I'll be back here asking for advice!

Dancer - Good luck on 5.6 tomorrow - rock it out!!

I had a minor freak out yesterday because I realized that my 10k is a month away and I have yet to run 6 miles outside. I'm up to 6.25 on the treadmill but it's just not the same. And I've managed 5 outside so I guess I'm close, but I'd feel much much more comfortable if I can get in at least 1 6 miler outside. Should I just go for 6 on my next outdoor run (prob fri morning) of should I do 5.5 first and then go for 6? Ah, I'm so excited for the race buy now really nervous!
Old 09-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #85  

Sorry fatpants, my response was for jayjay. For you, I wanted to say that if it feels right, just go for it. Your body is clearly craving the running! But please, stretch like crazy and be very aware of small pains or aches in your body and massage/ice them. You're gonna kick some serious butt this weekend!
Old 09-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #86  
Crazy runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakingCharge View Post
Sorry fatpants, my response was for jayjay. For you, I wanted to say that if it feels right, just go for it. Your body is clearly craving the running! But please, stretch like crazy and be very aware of small pains or aches in your body and massage/ice them. You're gonna kick some serious butt this weekend!
Thanks My legs are tired today... supposed to do 4 miles (laughable!) today but will probably rest instead and pick it up for my last run Thursday. Ahhh I'm way excited for Sunday!
Old 09-09-2009, 01:40 PM   #87  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

big race weekend fatpants!!! how are you feeling?? Whats going on in your head right now??
Old 09-09-2009, 01:42 PM   #88  
Tellin' it like it is!

taking charge--you are ready to run 6 miles outside, i have no doubt. I KNOW you are ready for the 10k..TODAY...even if you dont EVER run another step outside before the race, you are still ready...... dont psych yourself by thinking that youve only run 5 miles outside, even though youve run the full distance on a treadmill....... you got that 10k in the bag!!!! AND youve still got a month to go!!!
Old 09-09-2009, 01:43 PM   #89  
Tellin' it like it is!

ummm. rain running....... you COULD spend over 100 dollars on a fancy schmancy rain/running jacket that may (or may not) be waterproof/ water resistent....... OR, since you will sweat from the inside out anyway, and be even MORE wet becasue the jacket will trap your own moisture inside.........i think you should run in your swimsuit!! good luck!!
Old 09-09-2009, 01:45 PM   #90  
Tellin' it like it is!

seriously, unless its a torrential downpour, or seriously frigid and sleeting, i would just go with it!!!!! LIBERATING feeling ( if its the nice, warm rain)!!
Closed Thread