Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 04:03 PM   #91  
Ilene the Bean

Running in the rain is fun as long as it's not a miserable cold rain...

Taking Charge, you'll be fine for your 10k, I've only done one 9k and my 10k is on Sunday ... I'm just going to go with the flow of what feels right for me... I am so NOT competitive ... I just run to run...
Old 09-09-2009, 04:11 PM   #92  
Don't Stop Me Now!

S/C/G: 205/177/145

Height: 5-10

Hey everyone! I had a great run this morning...I was apprehensive, as I was super short of sleep, plus I went to a concert last night (Britney Spears - amazing!!!) and was on my feet dancing and had a beer for the first time in MONTHS. So i was nervous that I would have a crappy little wuss run like I did on Monday. Nope! I pushed through and got my usual 2 miles in! I had to talk myself through it at a couple points, but I really wanted a run I could feel good about all day, so I persevered! Yay me! Yay us!
Old 09-09-2009, 09:33 PM   #93  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

i bet it was the beer sharon!!!! Beer has TONS of carbs!@!!!!
Old 09-09-2009, 09:48 PM   #94  

S/C/G: 172/160.6/136

Height: 172cm

Great thread! Glad I found it! I am currently training for the Singapore marathon in December. This morning I ran 9k (5.6 miles) in 58 mins, my best ever! Pretty excited! Need to do a long one this weekend....
Old 09-09-2009, 10:15 PM   #95  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
i bet it was the beer sharon!!!! Beer has TONS of carbs!@!!!!
There may be some truth to that statement, when I drink wine and some Fridays I can drink a LOT I have the best runs the next morning

nattynatnat ... 9k in 58 mins that's awesome
Old 09-09-2009, 11:58 PM   #96  

S/C/G: 156/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I definitely feel a little better about being ready, but I'll still try to get in at least 1 6 mile run outside. We'll see how that goes! For a 10K, is it necessary to taper the week before? Should I do a long run the weekend before? Thanks again!!

Sharon - That's so great! Overcoming those mental boundaries is one of the hardest things about running (at least for me!) and it'll give you so much more confidence for your next runs, so great job!

Nat - Welcome! And congrats on your awesome 9K time! Wow, marathon in December, how exciting! Is this your first?

I decided to run yesterday and today, but did 2 short, fast runs. Yesterday, 3.6 miles with intervals and today a 2 mile tempo run at 8:50min/mile. Boy, was I sweating!! Much more than I do in a normal pace 6 mile run! I guess what they say about interval training and changing things up is true. I'm definitely sore, which is great, so hopefully I'll see more improvement in my time and endurance!
Old 09-10-2009, 08:57 AM   #97  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
big race weekend fatpants!!! how are you feeling?? Whats going on in your head right now??
I'm starting to feel slightly nervous, but I think by Saturday night I'll probably be pretty wired. I have a tendency to work myself up over these things!

As far as running goes I actually feel pretty confident. I don't want to set myself up for a certain time (would LOVE sub-30, but I think just trying to get a feel for racing will be my goal). I ran Sunday-Wednesday so I have the next three days off. My IT Band was screaming at me yesterday!

I have had some really good runs this week and I just keep reminding myself that this race course is nothing. I've been running on it at least once a week since April so I know exactly what to expect, which helps calm the nerves a LOT.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:18 AM   #98  
Tellin' it like it is!

takingcharge-- regarding taper before 10K.......let me ask you a quick question, whats your avg week in training look like? as far as days you run, and distances, etc.....
Old 09-10-2009, 10:22 AM   #99  
Tellin' it like it is!

You guys,
i finally had a GRAET run this am, and boy did i need it!!! rather than do ANOTHER 12-13 mile marathon pace run (which gets BORING) i decided to do an 11 mile Lactic Acid Threshold run......it was freakin awesome!!! I warmed up for about a mile, then alternated between 1 mile intervals at 10K pace (7:30 min mile) and 1 mile at marathon pace (9 min mile)...repeated throguhout the course of the 11 miles.....i LOVED it!! The hardest part was switching gears back from the 10K pace into the marathon pace.....It generally took me a good 1/2 mile or so to find my marathon pace each time...... this run was TOTALLY worth waking up at 2 30am for!!!
Old 09-10-2009, 10:34 AM   #100  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

MK - what does lactic acid threshold mean? I'm guessing it means run really fast so your muscles burn but wasn't sure
Old 09-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #101  
Tellin' it like it is!

Dancer---excellent question..... Lactic acid is a by product (or waste product) of glycogen consumption within your muscles (glycogen being broken down for energy when you are exercising)...The lactic acid builds up within your muscles as more and more glycogen is broken down..have you ever done anything strength trainign?? That really FULL and STIFF feeling you get in your muscles when you are lifting hard, is the lactic acid thats built up (your lactic acid threshold)....your body can process the lactic acid out of the muscles, but not very quickly.....the point of a lactic acid threashold run serves more than one purpose. First, it builds up my muscle's TOLERNCE to be able to handle the increasing load of lactic acid, therefore i am able to "push through" the fullness and stiffness and tiredness, so to speak.... Working up to the lactic acid threshold also teaches my body (over time) how to process it out of my muscles more rapidly.....it is therefore twofold in the sense that i can tolerate higher levels of it in my body, and my body also gets rid of it faster, allowing my to perform much longer and more effectively..... It takes time to build and work on, but the rewards are worth the effort!!
Old 09-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #102  
Don't Stop Me Now!

S/C/G: 205/177/145

Height: 5-10

Hmmm glad to hear it, MK and Ilene. I guess I should start a more alcohol-based training regimen
Old 09-10-2009, 03:44 PM   #103  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

MK - thanks for the info! How interesting! So, is your recovery time longer on the lactic acid threshold runs, then?

Only 4.4 miles for me this morning but it was beautiful and cool out. I'm saving up some energy for a hike in Aspen tomorrow - supposed to be 5-6 hrs and quite steep. We'll see how it goes. I'll be out of pocket for a few days but will check back in with you guys at the end of the weekend.

fatpants - I'll be cheering you on on Sunday from afar!
Old 09-10-2009, 05:57 PM   #104  

S/C/G: 156/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Mk - Right now, I'm kind of transition to running 4x/week instead of 3. My mileage is slowly increasing from about 13-14 miles/week to 14-16 miles/week. Here's my ideal schedule: Mon - 4.5 mile easy (if I get in a good long run on the weekend, if not it's 5-6), Wed - 3 or 4 mile interval, Fri - 2 or 3 mile tempo, Sat - Long (5-6, will get longer after 10K). So it's really not that strenuous, though I'm being careful because I'm increasing the number of days that I'm running as well as my speed. I'm now basically doing under 10 min/mile for all of my runs, but just pushing to the point where I'm a little tired, not feel like I'm dying or anything! Do you think that's a good training plan for the half marathon? I've kind of already shifted my mind set to that, though maybe I should keep focusing on the 10K for the next month. I guess it doesn't matter all that much. I'm so glad you had a good run! You really kick your own butt, it's awesome. I need a boot camp trainer for that!

Dancer - Aspen?? That sounds incredible!! Have a total blast and report back and make us all jealous!
Old 09-10-2009, 07:49 PM   #105  
Tellin' it like it is!

Taking charge---im thinking youve been running at approx this rate for a while now.......it is my personal opinion that because your body is already adapted to the stress it will be under running a 10K, there is no REAL need for you to taper at all, in my opinion. Generally people only NEED to taper if they are covering a significant distance, possibly greater than theyve done, that will put an entirely new amount of stress on their bodies, such as before a marathon, or possibly if its your first half marathon......I think your body is comfortable with running 6.2 miles.......and it knows how to do it now...does that make sense?!?!? The taper is designed to give your body adequate time to recover, repair, and gather strength for an extremely difficult physical task......if it makes you feel better, or more prepared, you might want to just cut back to three runs that week, maybe your normal runs, or possibly a little slower/easier...I would take the day off thats 2 days away from your race...if you race on sunday take friday off, and then it ALWAYS has helped me to run, very lighlty (sometimes even run/walk) for a couple miles the day before, in order to loosen up your legs.....you can then use the opportunity to have a nice long stretch session after your very light jog/walk.... but then, i run everyday, so since you normally run every OTHER day......?? not sure...its your call.....
I would absolutely get a beginniers trainig plan for the half marathon...youve built up an adequate base mileage now that you are ready to start. Google Hal Higdon Beginner Half Marathon plan...they are free, and his plans are what ive always used up till now...they are solid, not unrealistic, and actually slighlty low mileage, in my opinion ( i always add more runs into the week off his plan)...when is the half?? I believe the plan is for 12 weeks, so you just just keep your base mileage up until 12 weeks out, then begin on his program...you can probably already run longer than what i think he has the first long run as.....

Dancer...have a BLAST in aspen!!!!
I dont take recovery days..... Umm, actually tomorrow is my weekly track workout as well...... A lactic acid workout can be beneficial to a runner of any ability, and they come in all shapes sizes, and difficulty levels!! If a beginner runner were to do the same run i didd today though, theyd def need a day or so to recover....... However, with my marathon looming my trainer and i are working on my ability to run and perform when my body is under stress, and not fully recovered, and fatigued..... But it IS the like a speed training/interval session, so yes, you should take a recovery or easy day afterwards!!
Closed Thread