Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 10:39 PM   #106  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

I second Hal Higdon's plans.. his beginner's 10k plan is the one I'm using right now.. I think it's only a 6-week program. But I am a slow adapter so I probably need more than 6 weeks to work up to 6 miles.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:47 PM   #107  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Hi Ladies. Ran today 3 miles AND did some indoor rock climbing. WOW! Beautiful combo. I have been working on speed the last few days. I feel so much stronger. It may be my imagination but my legs are feeling super muscular to me the last couple days. Do any of you catch yourself grabbing to feel your leg muscles as you run? I have been so THIGH challenged for so long I cannot help myself. LOL..

Anyway, indoor rock climbing--could possibly turn into my new love--along with running ofcourse.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:10 AM   #108  
Crazy runner

Thighs - absolutely on the leg grabbing! I have been feeling that way lately too... major muscles developing on my thighs which have always been a trouble spot for me. It's such a nice feeling!
Old 09-11-2009, 10:10 AM   #109  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

fatpants---LOVE your new quote in your signature!!!
Old 09-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #110  
Crazy runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
fatpants---LOVE your new quote in your signature!!!
Haha thanks... I read that last night and felt it was appropriate for everything I've been feeling about the race. I am incredibly emotional about it and it's kind of taken me by surprise... I guess when you have spent most of your life being overweight, you really never thought that you could ever become this person... a runner.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:49 AM   #111  

S/C/G: 156/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

FatPants - I'm so happy for you! This really is a huge milestone and really shows you how far you've come, thanks to YOUR hard work and dedication! Did you get that quote from Runner's World daily quotes? I get those sent to me every morning and they get my butt out of bed to go running in the morning! I'll be thinking about you this weekend and sending you great thoughts. Really enjoy this race and take in all of the great emotions you're feeling!

Mk and FatPants - Thanks for the advice on training plans. I checked them out a while ago before I was running 4 days/week, so it was always too much for me, but I guess now I can do it! Like you Mk, I don't really like the short easy runs because I use this as my daily exercise so 3 easy miles doesn't do all that much for me, but I guess I can always make it 4 or something if I want.

Thighs - I love the feeling of a body part not jiggling quite as much as it used to! My legs have never been skinny but they've completely changed shape due to running and at least now they're strong and maybe even kind of nice! Indoor rock-climbing sounds amazing! I wanna give that a shot!

Speaking of runs, I had a CRAPPY one today. I know it happens to everyone, but it was just so disappointing. I set out to do 5 miles outside this morning (like I did last weekend, longest run outside), but managed a semi-quick 30 minutes and then completely lost it. My legs felt like they just couldn't move anymore and I had to walk/run the last 20 minutes home. I also noticed that I was SO thirsty by the end, which usually doesn't happen. And, I didn't have a little snack (like 1/4 banana) like I always do before my runs. Lastly, I haven't done yoga in almost 2 weeks and have barely been stretching (STUPID!!!) even though I've been running faster and longer. Even with all of these factors, I feel like I've lost all of the hard work I've been doing and I'm back to square one. So frustrating! I'll try again on Sunday morning and hope that goes better. Hope you all had better runs!
Old 09-11-2009, 11:52 AM   #112  
Tellin' it like it is!

Takingcharge---one bad run isnt the end of the world!! No need to over analyze it or even think about it anymore!!!! we all have days with bad runs...they cant ALL be winners!!!! Your sunday run will be great, no doubt!
Old 09-11-2009, 01:05 PM   #113  

S/C/G: 156/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Ha, thanks for the reality check Mk! You're totally right and I'll know I'll have a good run again soon. Just kind of a bummer buy I'll survive!

Ilene - I just noticed that you have your 10k this Sunday! Good luck and have fun!!!
Old 09-11-2009, 09:10 PM   #114  
Ilene the Bean

Thanks, Taking Charge, Sunday is coming along very quickly ...

Taking Charge, don't be so hard on yourself, one bad run is only a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things... You'll do better on Sunday...
Old 09-12-2009, 09:00 AM   #115  
Tellin' it like it is!

Ilene-good luck tomorrow!! Youve worked so hard.....Are you excited?? Nervous?? Dont be nervous, youre going to have such a great time!!
I cant remember if youve done any other races, but just in case you havent, heres my best advice!! Depending on whether or not it is a large race, as SOON as you get there, get in line for the Porta-potty!!!!! IF the race is big enough, you could be standing in line for well over a half hour!! Good luck!!
Old 09-12-2009, 09:04 AM   #116  
Tellin' it like it is!

Fat pants! Ditto!! Congrats on making it so far!!! Youll do great!! Remember to have fun!!! Dont worry about your time (although im secretly keeping my fingers crossed that youll break 30 minutes) i wish you the best!
Old 09-12-2009, 09:10 AM   #117  
Tellin' it like it is!

No run for me today, i decided, although my trainer told me i could do an easy run if i wanted to....However, i have a 20 mile race tomorrow, so i thought i would be *kind* to my running muscles!! I had a couple of big runs already this week, and i know when i took wednsday off before that 12 mile Lactic acid threshold run on thursday i did so much better! SO...im hoping to have a great race tomorrow.....i NEEED to have a great run tomorrow! MY last 20 miler was such a disaster ( if you guys remember, the heat stroke, the prairie dogs, the crazies..) ANyway, i think ive got my marathon pace down better this time, so im really gonna try to maintain it...if i can, it will put me at the finish at right around 3 hours, and then a marathon finishing time of 4 hours...... im going to go the the gym (blech!!) and amuse myself in the pool and on the elliptical and maybe the rowing machine...got to at least burn SOME calories today, right girls!??!?
Old 09-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #118  
Crazy runner

Wow lots of races this weekend!

TC - hehe yep I also get the RW daily quotes. I just thought it summed up why we run perfectly!

Ilene - GOOD LUCK on your 10k! I bet you will do fantastic!!

Mkroyer - Also GOOD LUCK on your 20 mile race! Looks like we will have better weather tomorrow than today...it's a bit chilly!

I am really itching to run now... it's my third and final rest day and I am so excited, but I can't go run off the energy. So I went shopping instead..LOL. My IT band seems to have calmed down for the most part... I foam rolled the heck out of it last night, stretched, etc. I bought a Pro-tec strap that some say helps, so I might wear it tomorrow, but I'm not sure. You're supposed to position it below your knee cap, but to be honest I'm afraid it will fall off while running. It might be more of a distraction than it is worth it. I don't know. my IT band issues are so come and go that I could have a good run without any issues or a terrible run where it hurts so bad I need to stop and walk for a bit. I might take a jog around the block and see if I can trust this strap thing to stay up.

Anyway, thanks for all the encouragement, ladies! I'll check back in on Monday with a race report and hopefully some pictures!
Old 09-12-2009, 01:30 PM   #119  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Hey Ladies. I did about 4 miles today. I am really trying to increase my intensity these days. I "feel" like a more serious runner this way. LOL. It also rained my entire run today. I am still sore today from the Indoor Rock Climbing. BUT! I am going again this week! I love it!!!

Does anyone else have REGULAR IPOD issues? I run with the Shuffle. I think it is moisture related as I have altered everything else. This is my 3rd IPOD in about 6 months. I Googled with moisture problem & Ipod and LOTS of people have problems. Why is Apple making something not compatible with workouts? Isn't that what many people use IPODS for?

MKroyer, Wow--an entire marathon! I can only imagine! How many weeks/months has the training taken?

Ilene--WOW! A 10K is incredible. That is what I aspire to. Is this your first formal one? I never have done even a 5K. The idea of being around the runners sort of weirds me out a little. I am not used to being on THIS team! I need to SO get over it, realize I am fit and run like the wind---like when I am alone. Well, I shouldn't really say wind--more like an active breeze. LOL

Fat Pants--I read your quote a couple of days ago and yep, I love it too. It so accurately describes my own feelings.

On another note, I have taken down my *fat* pics from all over the house. I think it's helping me with realizing my new self. I have not put up any *fit* ones yet. I think I am going to have family pics done and make that my first to go up. I hope I like them enough for Christmas pics.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:02 PM   #120  

S/C/G: 270.6/161.0/150

Height: 5'8"

I ran 3 and a half miles this morning which gets me past my 10 mile mark for the week (which was my goal).

I'd like to keep that up this month until after my first 5K on the 4th of October and then consider upping it a bit. We'll see.

I still run super slow (my best 5K time is still over 41 minutes) but I do see some slow improvement so I am okay with that.

The idea of running in public is sort of freaking me out but...I have a few weeks to wrap my head around it yet.

Have a great weekend everyone and good luck to those of you that are racing this weekend!
Closed Thread