Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 09:41 PM   #136  

S/C/G: 156/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Fat Pants - Woooohooo!!! I'm so glad your race went well! Awesome pics!

Lizzy - You completed the race and that's what matters! You should definitely keep doing more and you will absolutely get better and better! Way to go!

Cake - How'd your long run go? Why the week long hiatus? I know you'll do great on your upcoming races!

Idream - Welcome! If you run, you're officially a runner! Good for you for signing up for a 5K. I'm sure you'll do great!

Dancer - Wow, your hike sounds awesome. And WOW on the improvement in your mile time! It's great that all of your hard work has paid off so much and your fitness level is clearly feeling the benefits!

Thanks for all the encouragement about my 6 miles! It definitely felt great, especially after a crappy run. I've transitioned into running 4x/week instead of 3 and making more of those runs outside so I really think that'll improve my endurance and speed for races. I love new running challenges and the fact that they're limitless!
Old 09-14-2009, 10:49 PM   #137  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Dancer- glad you had such a great hike in Aspen!! I'd love to get in one more fall hike this year when the leaves are changing. And HOLY COW, 10-min mile!! You rock! I hope I can one day work up to that!

TC- You are a rock star with the 6 miles!!! Way ahead of me at this point.. I'm still petering around 4.5 miles... gosh I am going to have to get my act together and catch up with you! You are so well prepared for the 10k..you are gonna rock it!

MK- glad your second 20-miler went better this time around, and congrats for placing so high!! Are you nervous for the marathon? I'm sure you will do great!

Ilene - congrats on your 10k!!! That's a fantastic time!

Lizzyg- congrats also on your first 5k! Sounds like you had a lot of fun... I have a feeling this whole racing bit is going to be addicting.

Well as for me, thanks for the words of encouragement everyone. To be honest I have been dealing with some feelings of disappointment over a very imperfect first race. I don't know what I was really expecting...just to do better than I did, I guess! But it's ok, I learned a lot and am already looking forward to my next 5k in October. I'm excited to get back out there and improve!

My current weekly plans for the 10k have me going for long runs on Wednesdays, but I think I might switch it to Saturdays. So the easier runs would be M-W-Th with the long run on Saturday and perhaps an easy recovery run on Sundays. That way I can focus during the week on improving my 5k time without juggling other things that come up - family/friends, work, etc. I feel like I'm putting pressure on myself to squeeze in that long run in the middle of the week (and it's REALLY squeezed in there since I get home from work at 3 and usually have plans on Wednesdays at 6:00) and it will just go better if I allow myself a bigger window of time.

Also I have a running partner who wants to run on Wednesdays and I would really rather have my long runs to myself... I can focus better because she is a TALKER!

I know 8 weeks is plenty of time to work up to 6 miles but if I don't start getting my long runs on track, my 10k will be here before I know it!
Old 09-14-2009, 11:49 PM   #138  

Fat Pants - I'm sorry to hear that you're a little disappointed about your race, though I totally understand and have gone through similar experiences. I think all of us in the group as runners, dieters and women tend to be really hard on ourselves and don't give ourselves enough credit for the amazing things we've done and continue to do. I know sometimes it doesn't really help to hear others tell you how great you're doing, but I just want to say one more time that I'm so impressed with all of your hard work and determination. You're only getting better and better, so look back on everything you've accomplished with pride and use minor setbacks or disappointments as fuel for future accomplishments! As for 6 miles, you've got it in the bag! I literally went from 5 miles one Sunday to 6 miles the next Sunday, so you never know what your body can do until you just try it out. It can be more mental than anything! Anyway, enough pep talk from me Have a greet week everyone! Let's stay on track and have a great weigh in next week!
Old 09-15-2009, 07:38 AM   #139  

S/C/G: 171/150/145

Height: 5'8

Hi everyone. I've just got back from holiday (and haven't posted on here for a while). I was away for a week and managed 4 x 30 minute runs in that time. It was fun to run in the fields and the weather was great. Now I need to get back into my pre-summer routine, which has slipped, and exercise most days. I ran a half marathon before summer and hope to do a marathon in April. Good luck to everyone with your running.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:01 AM   #140  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakingCharge View Post
Fat Pants - I'm sorry to hear that you're a little disappointed about your race, though I totally understand and have gone through similar experiences. I think all of us in the group as runners, dieters and women tend to be really hard on ourselves and don't give ourselves enough credit for the amazing things we've done and continue to do. I know sometimes it doesn't really help to hear others tell you how great you're doing, but I just want to say one more time that I'm so impressed with all of your hard work and determination. You're only getting better and better, so look back on everything you've accomplished with pride and use minor setbacks or disappointments as fuel for future accomplishments! As for 6 miles, you've got it in the bag! I literally went from 5 miles one Sunday to 6 miles the next Sunday, so you never know what your body can do until you just try it out. It can be more mental than anything! Anyway, enough pep talk from me Have a greet week everyone! Let's stay on track and have a great weigh in next week!
Thanks - I needed to hear that! You are right, it's like I keep telling myself "You should be so happy with what you've accomplished" but instead I keep replaying all the rookie mistakes I made! I guess I just need to start putting it behind me and look ahead to the next race. The only place to go is up!

I DO think my being stuck at 4.5 miles is 75% mental. It's like when my long run days are here and I start out, all I can focus on his how much it sucks lol. I think Saturday running will help me be a little more relaxed and maybe I won't put so much pressure on myself.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:01 AM   #141  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

Height: 5'2"

Dancer - I have never been hiking before but it is something I want to try at least once. Glad you had a blast! And what an improvement on time. WTG

Mk _ I agree with dancer...you are awesome

TC- Thanks lady. I just wasn't feeling up to it. So I breaked. That's all I am totally back! Longish run went well.

Lizzyg - Congrats on your 5K

iDream - WELCOME! Of course you are runner

My long run turned into a longISH run. I didn;t have enought time to do what I needed to do. I had to meet with the wedding planner last night so I had to fit in what I could which turned out to be 7 and a half miles. I wasnt bad but it wasn't 10. I will try again on wednesday because tonight is speed.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:03 AM   #142  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Default I have a dirty, DIRTY little secret

you guys,
i will go back later today and read all of your guys race reports!!! COngrats to everyone....but now, i have to confess a horrible little secret...my personal shame, especially as a runner...... Im a smoker! Not just a light here and there or a couple cigarettes a day kinda smoker-- like a pack a day smoker!!! I know, i know how horrible and disgusting it is, i dont need to hear it from you guys too!! I also know how riduculous that makes me, as a runner AND a smoker..... SO i recently came two conclusions: #1 i am terrified of doing the marathon becuz it means i will have to go 4 waking hours without a cigarette (im being serious, this makes me anxious) and #2) although i dont FEEL like smoking has held me back as far as running foes (im never gasping for air or hacking up a lung) i do acknowledge that its holding me back in ways maybe i dont realize (endurance, or lactic acid threshold wise, whatever..) If i want to qualify for the Boston Marathon maybe this spring, i CANNOT do it as a smoker.
So, i QUIT. TODAY. I ALREADY quit. I bought nicotine patches, and gum and all that crap last night. i am TRULY terrified of gaining any weight...that was the hardest thing to wrap my head around..... i dont know...... So i have not smoked this morning (by now i woulda had 5 smokes already) and im doing ok, so far....... luv ya guys (ps dont judge me please
Old 09-15-2009, 11:58 AM   #143  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

MK - for quitting! WTG! If you need extra help in quitting, you might talk to your doc about Zyban which has helped a few friends of mine and also has a mild appetite suppressant as a side affect which would help with the quit-smoking munchies. I know it will be really hard for a while but you'll be sooo glad later that you did it. And your body will be thankful too! Hang in there!
Old 09-15-2009, 12:00 PM   #144  

Fat Pants - I looked at your mini-goal photo album (everyone go check it out!) and WOW! You look amazing! I'm so happy that you took some pictures and are really embracing your accomplishment! I can't wait to see you keep reaching and exceeding your goals with both weight loss and running! Congrats girl!

Cake - 7.5's not too shabby! I bet your weekend 10miler will be awesome!

Mk - YES YES YES!!! I can't tell you how happy it makes me that you've given up smoking. It took a lot of courage for you to confess to us and that really shows that you're serious about this. There's absolutely no judgement here, just support, so come to us with your ups and downs and we'll always be here to listen and maybe kick your butt a little bit like you kick ours!

Speaking of kicking butts, I totally slept through my run this morning, but the local running store has a club that runs on Tuesday evenings and I've been dying to go so now that it's cooled down a bit, I'm gonna do it today. The only problem is that I have class until 5 and I know I'll be tired and tempted to just go home after, but if you don't hear about a nice 4 mile run from me today, please YELL at me! Thanks!
Old 09-15-2009, 12:16 PM   #145  
Tellin' it like it is!

TAKINGcharge_--- DO IT!! run with the group!! its so FUN to run with a running club!!! have you run with a group before?? its totally different and helps change up the "monotony" of running the same way/place everyday!!
I think once you get used to running outside, you will never go back to the treadmill!!! And you live in CA?? you can run outside all year round basically, and comfortably too!!!!! Way to go on 6 miles outside!! Thats your 10K!!! Is your 10K course hilly?? remember to practice running routes that include at least one or two hills frequently if your 10K isnt flat!

Dancer-- i prefer to do this sans medications, but thank you for the info!! I am just using the patch and nicotine gum, for now. I am gonig to closely monitor my weight, and im into a really good routine as far as what i eat and when, and my body knows (usually) when its food time, so im HOPING to minimize any weight gain!! NONE would be awesom of course, but ive heard even when woman are crazy exercisers and eat really well (which is me!) they still gain on average 2 or 3 pounds because quitting smoking decreases your metabolism just a LITTLE bit.....
Old 09-15-2009, 12:39 PM   #146  

S/C/G: 270.6/161.0/150

Height: 5'8"

WTG on quitting!!!

I cannot even believe that you run as much and as well as you do smoking! Hats off to you!

Once you have kicked that habit, just imagine how well your runs will go!
Old 09-15-2009, 01:21 PM   #147  

S/C/G: 259/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon ladies!

Fatpants~ I checked out your pics too and you look fantastic! Having never run a race, I can't say 'I've been there' about feeling disappointed, but I've felt that way about other things--and let me tell you, you should feel nothing but proud of yourself! You got out there and ran a race!!! That alone is something to be insanely proud of! Not only that, but you've signed up for more!!

Mk~ as a former smoker there'll be no judgement comin' from me! Just take one day at a time--since you're already pretty set in a eating routine, weight gain shouldn't be too much of an issue. Good luck and congrats for quitting!!! Soon you'll wonder how on earth you ever smoked!!

Thank you for the nice welcomes!

I got up an hour late this morning and knew I was pressed for time, so I hustled out the door to get my run in (W7D1 of C25k). Hubby needed to leave by 7:00 and when I got to the 24 min mark I realized I was really pushing it time wise, so instead of stopping at 25 mins, I just kept running. When I got home I checked my watch--29:04!! I was stoked! I didn't get my cool down in, but I felt pretty good anyway--I'll be sure to get it in on Thursday.

I've decided that now that I know I can run for 29 mins, I'm going for the whole enchilada. I'm going straight to Week 9 and not looking back. The 5K I signed up for is just a couple of weeks away and I want to be sure I can run the whole thing!

Last edited by iDream; 09-15-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:20 PM   #148  
Tellin' it like it is!

Fatpants--- theres no need to feel dissapointed about your time!! you did AWESOME!! that was your first EVER race, right? You know what i think you should do? (now this is just me, becuz i LUV to run in races) i think you should finad another one, like for this weekend.....your already trained to run a 5k, you KNOW you can do it, and you also KNOW you can do better! I know you signed up for one in october, but there are literally like DOZENS of 5ks in the denver area every weekend!! the more you race, the more confident you will be in your ability to push yourself!! Promise you will stop dwelling on that race..... you did great!!!!!
also, i think switching your long run to the weekend is a great idea... it will take the stress out of it all. PLUS it will allow youmore time so you can BACK OFF YOUR PACE!! If you want to run longer, like, right now, just run SLOWER. SERIOUSLY. Doesnt matter how slow/fast you normally run, just back off like a minute per mile slower, or so. thats the key to running long, at least when you are first starting out. it is probably not 75% mental.....id be willing to bet its 100% mental. i know you have the physical ability to run longer. Your brain tells your body its tired, and that it doesnt want to. Seriously. what another, lets say 10 minutes of running? When you normally finish your runs are you physically unABLE to take another step?? No. Get comfortable being uncomfortable GO FOR IT!!
How abot this saturday? Run for 5 miles!!! i dare you!! I DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU! Youll rock it ( at a slightly slower pace)
Old 09-15-2009, 02:21 PM   #149  
Tellin' it like it is!

CAKE--- We MISSED you!!!! <3
Old 09-15-2009, 10:50 PM   #150  

Mk - Thanks for the encouragement! Luckily, my 10K course is pretty flat so I don't have to worry about hills, though I'm sure they'd help my endurance! So I was all excited about running with a group today and I literally sped over there through traffic after class and it turns out that it's basically just a hydration station where people meet up after the run, but everyone runs on their own. I didn't have the patience to wait around and try to make new friends so I just drove home and ran around my neighborhood. I'm proud that I made it out though and didn't just collapse on my couch cuz I was already pretty tired. I only made it 3.6 miles (outside though!) and had to take a short walk break (had some minor bowel rumblings due to eating way to soon before running!!), but overall I'm happy I got in a run. I have either intervals or tempo run tomorrow so that should be fun. I'll probably stick with the treadmill for that, but I like having more outdoor runs. Hopefully I'll see improvement in my stamina pretty quickly. How's the smoke free day going??

IDream - Great job on running 29 minutes!!! I'm all for pushing yourself so if you feel like you can skip to a higher week in the program, go for it. BUT, having said that, please please listen to your body. If you start feeling minor aches in your shins or hips or knees, try to back off a little bit, maybe just a week or so. Honestly, I think you'll be totally fine but just make sure not to push it too hard. Keep up the good work!

Any other runs to report?
Closed Thread