Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 197/197/140

Height: 5'5"

I'm 58 and have never run or jogged 3' in my life. Am I too old to start or have I got a chance?
Old 09-05-2009, 05:03 PM   #47  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha123 View Post
I'm 58 and have never run or jogged 3' in my life. Am I too old to start or have I got a chance?
Oh, most definitely you can run at your age!! I'm 52 and have no intentions of stopping... I just read a great book I got from the library "Running until you're 100" by Jeff Galloway and it convinced me that nothing is impossible... Just start slow using as a baseline the C25K and go with it... Have fun!!

Last edited by Ilene; 09-05-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:19 PM   #48  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

sharongracepjs--- That was the workout i did onfriday morning at the local HS track behind my house..... 1X around the track is 400 meters, or a quarter mile, 2X around is 800 meters, or half a mile, etc....4X around the track is 1600 meters which is 1 mile (roughly). So for my workout i was working on speed. So i ran 1 400 meter at the pace i listed, and then i ran a 1600 meter interval (at the pace/time listed) then a 1200 m interval, etc.... in between each interval, or repetition, i jogged a slow recovery lap, whihc is agian 400 meters. The idea behind running intervals like this is "different paces for different races" if that makes sense.... So, becasue 800 meters is only a half a mile, i run it a LITTLE TINIER faster than i might run a 1200 meter interval, and i would run the 800m also a LITTLE TINY bit slower than i run my 400meters, which is only one lap....... Did any of that make sense?
Old 09-05-2009, 11:52 PM   #49  
Ilene the Bean

Mk, when you're doing all these intervals, do you need a GPS to monitor your speed? Because how would you know if one length is at a higher or slower speed... I've always wondered this ...
Old 09-06-2009, 01:52 AM   #50  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

Hi, I'm Cat and I'm super out of shape (and running shape for that matter). I was up to running 2-3 miles a few times a week before I fell off the wagon more than six months ago. Needless to say it's going to take me a month or two to get it back together. September I am just planning on getting on my treadmill at least 5 times a week and running what I can which seems to be anywhere from a half to a mile and a half. So with extra walking as warm up and extra cardio/cooldown, I am shooting to do 30 miles this month. It will be upped more as time goes by but I want to be able to hit my goal and feel some sort of success.

Tonight I tried to run way too late at night. Just worn from a long day, I was only able to do 1/2 a mile and then walked the rest. 2 miles in total. No more late night running for me! Will try to do at least a mile in the morning and then keep the morning routine.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:17 AM   #51  
Tellin' it like it is!

ilene, if you dont have a garmin just use a watch..in fact most people prefer to just track time on their laps, but i cant seem to figure out how to set my Garmin to do that!!
Old 09-06-2009, 09:00 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 140/127/120

Height: 5'2"

Runners -- silly question but how do you know when your running shoes are worn out?

I just realized I've been using the same shoes for about 6-7 years and I think they must be worn out by now!!! My ankles have been bothering me and I think its the shoes. Fortunately I have an almost new pair of running shoes sitting in the closet and switched to them this morning.

Last edited by jayjay77; 09-06-2009 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:17 AM   #53  
Tellin' it like it is!

as a general rule of thumb, running shoes need to be replaced every 300-400 miles that you run in them......if your following a specific training schedule its easy to keep track and *guesstimate* how many miles are on them, but if not, there are websites where you can track the miles on your shoes (of course, that requires you get online and input your distances after every run...i believe its either cool running or runners world websites that have this feature.
As for me personally, i just had to replace my shoes last week...i KNEW i had to replace them becuz whenever my shoes are starting to break down, my tendonitis flairs up something fierce in my posterior tibial tendon...out of nowhere it rears its ugly head...then i buy new shoes, and its all better, just like that!! Also, if you flex the shoes in your hands underneath where the toes go, and its really easy to bend, then you need new shoes!!
Old 09-06-2009, 09:18 AM   #54  
Tellin' it like it is!

so for me about every 6 weeks or so......l
Old 09-06-2009, 09:58 AM   #55  

S/C/G: 140/127/120

Height: 5'2"

mkroyer -- thanks! Yikes that gets expensive fast! (but I'm sure worth it to avoid injury)
Old 09-06-2009, 10:15 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 156/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Ilene - Thanks for the bday wishes!

Jay - I think your question has been answered, but I just got new shoes also, mostly because I started getting random little aches (right knee, left foot) while running and figured it had to be my shoes wearing out, and I think I was right!

As for me, I think my interval work is really helping me with speed because I went out for a 5 mile run this morning and finished in 45:36!! I was actually in a new neighborhood and didn't really know how far I had gone until I mapped it online, but it's the longest run I've done outside and definitely the fastest, so I think I'm in good shape for my 10K in a month! Yay!
Old 09-06-2009, 10:36 PM   #57  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
ilene, if you dont have a garmin just use a watch..in fact most people prefer to just track time on their laps, but i cant seem to figure out how to set my Garmin to do that!!
I see, so I guess you'd have to run a track to get a better idea of your speed and improved time....

JJ, I replace mine every year at the very least, I usually get a new pair in the spring...
Old 09-06-2009, 10:40 PM   #58  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakses View Post

Tonight I tried to run way too late at night. Just worn from a long day, I was only able to do 1/2 a mile and then walked the rest. 2 miles in total. No more late night running for me! Will try to do at least a mile in the morning and then keep the morning routine.
I think that after a long time of not running you should start with intervals of walking and running, like the c25k... Running a half mile right off after a hiatus is a lot IMHO... Take it slower and I think you'll enjoy it more and improve faster...
Old 09-07-2009, 09:06 AM   #59  
Tellin' it like it is!

Ilene-- once you start running intervals around a track, you will begin to get a *feel* for what your paces are, and when your pushing hard enough or too hard.....of course, having a garmin DEFINITELY makes it easier, but not everyone can shell out that kinda money for a glorified watch! (that, btw doesnt tell time--in the traditional sense!)
Old 09-07-2009, 09:08 AM   #60  
Tellin' it like it is!

ha!! Guess what everyone?? im taking a day off from running!! GULP....... gonna hit up the....gym....? I am so stiff and sore.....i beat myself up pretty good last week, and my long run yesterday was horrible, so....... figured i had better take care of myself with a 20 miler next weekend and my marathon less than 5 weeks away!!
Closed Thread