Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 02:13 PM   #16  
Don't Stop Me Now!

S/C/G: 205/177/145

Height: 5-10

General running question for y'all:

Once my friend, who ran cross country in high school, told me that they had a certain way of holding their stomach muscles for stamina and breathing control that ended up making their abs really strong and tones. Has anyone else heard of this? Or did I misunderstand/misremember her? Are there breathing tips I should be aware of?
Old 09-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #17  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

Well, I went street jogging today and so didn't like it. I'm back at the park tomorrow. I *did* get to calculate my time/distance, though, which is just over 5 k in about 40 minutes! I'm pretty pleased!

Ilene - good luck!! I actually live two blocks away from Montreal's Big O and it's a great neighborhood for running!
Old 09-02-2009, 06:57 PM   #18  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Oh, breathing is so very, very important to me and for me! For me, it's two puffs in through the nose and two puffs out the mouth.

If I don't do it this way, I will most definitely get a side stitch that makes me stop. I do my best to hold my stomach in when running for long periods of time. Like you, I have also been told it helps ab muscles.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:17 PM   #19  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvenirdarling View Post
Well, I went street jogging today and so didn't like it. I'm back at the park tomorrow. I *did* get to calculate my time/distance, though, which is just over 5 k in about 40 minutes! I'm pretty pleased!

Ilene - good luck!! I actually live two blocks away from Montreal's Big O and it's a great neighborhood for running!
We have the same running time, I do 5k in 40ish minutes too... Well isn't it cool that you live so close to the Big O, my bib number is 10801, we could actually see each other. Are you participating on the 13th?
Old 09-02-2009, 10:20 PM   #20  
Ilene the Bean

Oh, just wanted to add a comment on breathing... I am a mouth breather for the most part, like Thighs be gone two breaths in, two out... I also hold my abs in...
Old 09-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #21  
Go Blue Team!

S/C/G: 197.6/195.8/140

Height: 5'2"

I'm new to the running thing. I've always wanted to be a runner, but always had problems with my asthma kicking in. Well, after reading the C25K thread, I figured out I was trying to go too hard, too fast. I'm still in the early stages and walking quite a bit between my jog/run parts, but in just a few weeks, i have been able to run more than I ever have in my life.

I do have an issue though, I have shin splints, so I have been stretching and wrapping my calves when I am working out, but now my ankles are hurting me. Is this normal, or am I not ready to be running yet. I did go buy new running shoes already, so I don't think that is the problem.

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2009, 10:28 PM   #22  
Bingo

S/C/G: 270/202.8/165

Height: 5'8

Hi everyone! I'm a newbie runner, nearly done with my couch to 5k. I am running my first 5k in october.

Good luck and cheers to everyone who's training, racing, or just getting in the fight!
Old 09-02-2009, 10:33 PM   #23  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nella View Post
I'm new to the running thing. I've always wanted to be a runner, but always had problems with my asthma kicking in. Well, after reading the C25K thread, I figured out I was trying to go too hard, too fast. I'm still in the early stages and walking quite a bit between my jog/run parts, but in just a few weeks, i have been able to run more than I ever have in my life.

I do have an issue though, I have shin splints, so I have been stretching and wrapping my calves when I am working out, but now my ankles are hurting me. Is this normal, or am I not ready to be running yet. I did go buy new running shoes already, so I don't think that is the problem.

Thanks!
Hi Nella My suggestion would be to just go at it slowly, even slower that what the C25K suggests on some weeks if need be... In time, hopefully, your muscles and ligaments in your ankles, all of your legs for that matter, will get stronger...

Last edited by Ilene; 09-02-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:59 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

Height: 5'2"

Hey Ladies!!!!!!

I ran outside yesterday, it was pretty cool and beautiful. I enjoyed. Now that it is starting to cool I can do it more thank goodness.

Ilene - GL on your run

Fat - Is the race this weekend? GL. I have a 5k next weekend. I just love them.

Sharon _ I generally breathe through my mouth. I don't think I have a real technique but I most definitely hold in my abs.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:22 AM   #25  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Welcome everyone!! Glad to see some new faces!

Cake - my 5k is a week from this coming Sunday (the 13th). So this is my last week on schedule before tapering next week. I've been pushing it hard this week so I'm looking forward to an easy one.

Nella - I had shin splints when I started out, too - very soon after I started C25k in fact. 80% of it was cured through just running through them and making my legs stronger... I know that's not always the best advice but I know for me it was my legs just getting used to all of the intense activity. The rest were cured through getting a better pair of running shoes with more stability. I will feel slight soreness now if I over train, but for the most part they don't bother me. I tried a shin support but it never really helped that much. Ice and Advil afterward is what worked for me. Good luck!

Sharon - I also breathe through my mouth when I am breathing heavy. When I first started running on pavement instead of the treadmill, I was amazed at how sore my core muscles (abs, lower back, etc) were after a run. I think it's the breathing plus just your body being strengthened through activity. To me there is no better workout than running!!

Well after cutting back on my miles for my long runs, yesterday was 4 miles. It went alright - not the best but not the worst. I will do intervals today, rest Friday and then one last 5k training before taper week.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:11 AM   #26  
exercising with twins

S/C/G: 220/198/180

Height: 5' 4"

This morning's run was tough. I've always found that the first time I try a new workout, I have few problems but that the second time through, it kills me... this was the second time I've run this far and I had to stop briefly and walk for a minute near the end. I was good though and made myself start running again less than a block later.

Good luck to everyone with their 5k races...someday, maybe, I'll try one of those too... for now I'm just focussed on not stopping.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:26 AM   #27  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Nella-- if your shin splints are *true* shin splints, then they are a tendonitis of the medial tibial tendon......you can ice it and strech it and wrap it till your blue in the face, but the only thing that will fix it is the *correct* pair of shoes for you (that compensate for and adjust the underlying physiological reason, ie; high arches, flat arches, overpronation, underpronation, whatever), and also possibly custom orthitics molded to your feet to provide the right support. I promise if that is the problem, and you DO get the right shoes or orthotics, your problem will be INSTANTLY better!! However, it might not really be shin splints either...maybe just a burning feeling in your calves and front of legs due to just starting a running program!!! if thats the case, it will go away as you get stronger and your form improves!!
Old 09-03-2009, 10:27 AM   #28  
Tellin' it like it is!

I wish everyone good luck and great fun at all your upcoming 5ks and other races!! Summers pretty much over, and i do SO love running during the fall!!!
Old 09-03-2009, 10:34 AM   #29  
Tellin' it like it is!

This mornings run--- 10 miles, 1 hr 26 min 8:57 pace (shooting for 9 so thats pretty darn close) Thinking 9 minutes miles will be my marathon pace, so im trying to practice it, and gt the *feel* of it engrained into my muscles!! On a related note, i think 10 miles is the ABSOLUTE farthest i can go in the am WITHOUT having breakfast first!!!! I eat when i get into work, so i ran it on an empty tummy (like i do all my other weekday runs)..... I wasnt DYING during it, but i was struggling more than i should have been to maintain my 9 minute pace.....The amount of effort to turn over my legs felt more like i was running an 8 minute mile than a 9....... Of course i didnt realize this was the problem till about 9 miles into it!! I was confused as to why it was taking so much EFFORT, when ive run 10 miles and even 15 miles before with less effort.... So......its funny... only a few short months ago i would have considered 10 miles to be a *long* run and i would have planned my whole weekend around it, carbo loaded, had a big breakfast, planned out everything, etc.....but now i just roll out of bed before work and since ive got about an hour and a half, decide to pound out a quick 10 miler before work!1
Old 09-03-2009, 10:37 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 165.6/158.4/130

Height: 5'7"

Ok I'm about to head out for another run/walk. Today doing W3D3. Really concentrating on my form. Gonna try to slow down without shortening my stride. On my recovery days I do 60 sec intervals. That is actually fun now.

I always run outside. Treadmills scare me to death. I just have visions of falling off of them....one wrong step....

A little worried about the winter but I have a great running shop and I plan to get new clothes

Oh and I've been doing a beginning yoga podcast...OMG, that is harder than running. My shoulders are very sore from downward facing dog, and I am not flexible enough to do alot of the poses all the way. I'm going to stick with it though, it does really stretch my hips.
Closed Thread