Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-22-2008, 09:08 PM   #106  
back to balance

Height: 5'7"

W7D1 here as well - I had a harder time of it today, probably due to the newly warm weather and my bad pacing. I had mild side stitches almost from the beginning, which developed into outright pain after I foolishly (but oh so gloriously, heh) decided to sprint the last minute... ouch, ouch...

I ran a little more than 8 laps, which for 25 minutes would put me at slightly over a 12 minute mile, right? I guess it's working on speed for the rest of the week then...

Oh, and the other thing I have to work on is a decent soundtrack - now that there are no intervals to think about anymore, the podcast has become really boring for me, which was kind of a problem today, too... so I'll put together a nice playlist for days 2 and 3 now, maybe even buying a couple of fun new songs...
Heffalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:42 PM   #107  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Woohoo, WTG everyone!

Did W5D2 today. Not too bad. Actually, the first 8-minute run was surprisingly easy. I don't know if I was going extra slow or what... it just wasn't bad! That second one was rough, but I think I'm ready to move on.

Which means, of course, that the 20 minute run is next for me. Good luck ShadesofGray... and congrats Me_Amarie, glad to hear you got through it!
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:55 PM   #108  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Way to go everyone!

Today is W3D3. I went on the high school track the other night that is down the street. I have to say I like running that much better than the streets around my neighborhood. It gave me a much better sense of how far I was running in the alloted time.
I don't know if I can do that in the morning, not sure if they let people use the track during school hours.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:02 PM   #109  

S/C/G: 230/226/180

Height: 5'7

I was not able to start Week 5 last week. I attended and worked a conference last week. So, I was BUSY from Thursday morning-Sunday night. In fact, I barely had time to retrieve my luggage from my car. Then, I was so fatigued and under the weather that I was bed bound from Sunday night until this morning when I dragged myself to the office. I have events tonight and tomorrow. So, I will not be able to start W5D1 until Friday. That sucks! The only good news is that after this week, my schedule will lighten TREMENDOUSLY! So, YAY! I can really concentrate on C25K.
Foodie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:40 PM   #110  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

Hi Foodie -

Don't add any more stress than you are already under! Shees, your schedule looks killer! I had the same situation twice since I started C25K. The trick is to get back out there when you can! Good luck!
Amarie2pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:16 PM   #111  

S/C/G: 245/239/130

Height: 5'0

I am just starting the C25K, I'm definitely going to have to repeat W1. I feel like such a schmo. I can only run for 60-90 seconds. I can usually get to 60 seconds, but more often then not I am DYING at 60. I feel like I can't breathe and my legs are burning. I'm only running at 4.0 mph too! Did anyone else have trouble starting. It gets better right?
Jade280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:29 PM   #112  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

Hi Jade and welcome to the C25K thread! My experience was similar - 60 seconds made my lungs feel like they were going to explode. It gets better, but taking the time to repeat a week is not a bad thing if you feel you need it (IMHO).

Well friends, today was W6D1. Eh. My body was not lovin it today. Probably due to my running partner TOM. Anyway, I survived and will keep on keepin on. Looking forward to my 2 10 min intervals next time!
Amarie2pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:06 AM   #113  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade280 View Post
I am just starting the C25K, I'm definitely going to have to repeat W1. I feel like such a schmo. I can only run for 60-90 seconds. I can usually get to 60 seconds, but more often then not I am DYING at 60. I feel like I can't breathe and my legs are burning. I'm only running at 4.0 mph too! Did anyone else have trouble starting. It gets better right?

Jade, something I did was to give myself permission to repeat weeks if I needed to, and to realize there is nothing wrong with that.
It does get better with time.

No reason to push past 4 miles an hour. Concentrate first on being able to jog the full time allotments, then you can work on speed.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:38 AM   #114  

S/C/G: 165/159/125

Height: 5'6

Woohoo!! I lived through the 20 minute run!!!!!

I ran on 5.5 mph the whole time. I told myself that if I got too tired, I could turn it down to 5.0, but it really wasn't too bad. I put a towel over the time on the treadmill so that I could focus on my running and not the seconds ticking down. I think that made the running go by a lot faster.

To anyone scared about the 20 minute run... YOU CAN DO IT!!! I was terrified, but now that I did it, I feel like I was more than enough prepared for it.

Good luck everyone!!
ShadesofGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:46 AM   #115  

S/C/G: 245/239/130

Height: 5'0

Thanks for the encouragement! I am easily defeated, which is how I got to this weight. When things get tough I run for the chocolate chip cookies. I have almost convinced myself that I will be ready for the Komen 5k in September.

Another question. How often does everyone get to the gym? I go 3 times a week, I know I should go more and it would speed things up. But I find excuse after excuse as to why I can't go today. Do you do a lighter workout on your "off" days?
Jade280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:00 AM   #116  

S/C/G: 264/264/140

congratulations shadesofgray, 20 min running, definetly not looking forword to that !!!

I did my W1D2...was ok really

I'm thinking the same thing Jade, I need to find things to do in the other 4 days.
Something interesting and fun, I might join a class or something.
lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:27 PM   #117  

S/C/G: 230/226/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Week 1 was difficult. As were weeks one-three. However, I gave myself permission to repeat a week. But, I always tried D1 of the next week FIRST. Once I survived, I realized I didn't need to repeat.

Last edited by Foodie08; 04-27-2008 at 01:33 AM.
Foodie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:34 PM   #118  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement! I am easily defeated, which is how I got to this weight. When things get tough I run for the chocolate chip cookies. I have almost convinced myself that I will be ready for the Komen 5k in September.

Another question. How often does everyone get to the gym? I go 3 times a week, I know I should go more and it would speed things up. But I find excuse after excuse as to why I can't go today. Do you do a lighter workout on your "off" days?

It does get better - and before you know it you'll be surprised how quickly you're able to progress. I have never been a runner. Ever. Never in my life could I run a mile - even if I were being chased, trust me. Like someone else mentioned, go at your own pace, repeat weeks or workouts if you need to but at the same time, don't let yourself *not* move on because you *think* you can't do it, just give it a go!

Edit: Oops, forgot the other part of the post. I do nearly all of my cardio at the gym so I'm there 5-6 days a week. I do 3 days of C25K and the other days I do a mix of stairmaster, elliptical or HIIT on the treadmill. I have free weights at home, which I do 3 times a week...I'm too much of a weenie to do any lifting at the gym. A few times week I'll walk 2-3 miles with my two dogs, which is always interesting.

Last edited by BernerDoc; 04-24-2008 at 06:37 PM.
BernerDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:40 PM   #119  

Height: 5'3"

W7D2. It was tough. Much like Tuesday, I was feeling rather unmotivated and just blah. I've had a crappy day but didn't want that to stop me from at least getting as far as I could in the 25 minutes. I "cheated" a lot on the treadmill by resting on the handrails but...I kept my feet moving. It's going to be an interesting transition when I do a modified repeat of parts of this program to actually run outdoors, that's for sure.
BernerDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:47 PM   #120  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
How often does everyone get to the gym? Do you do a lighter workout on your "off" days?
I try to get exercise 6 days a week. 3 days are C25K. Tonight will be W7D3. I run outside and then try to do sit-ups and push-ups when I get home. I try to go the gym 2 days a week, one day to a step arobics class/one day at least 60 minutes on the elliptical. Other than that, sometimes I do a Taebo DVD, sometimes go for a long walk. I'm actually having fun getting exercise!
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote