Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-07-2008, 12:04 AM   #31  
Leaning out of Lurkdom ;)

Height: 5' 7"

Hello Ladies! Thanks to you all I began this program on the 31st of March. Yesterday ( Sunday ) was the beginning of W2-D1.
Thank you all!!

A brief synop of me. I am 43, soon to be 44 come May. I lost the majority of my weight last year ( 64 lbs! ). Leaving me just shy of the final 20. This time around in my journey I took the pressure off. ( I had a real vicious cycle with summers. ) This time though, I lightened up mentally. Telling myself shoot for a pound a week. Taking into consideration there would be weeks of no loss, along with weeks of bigger losses. By the end of the year at worst I would be anywhere from 40-52 pounds lighter. Exceeding my goal was a bonus!

I tell you this because of one of the highlights of my journey. I was with my son who is 10 and who has been going through this stage I like to call... "Come on Mom lets race!" You know those mad dashes from car to front door, or through the parking lot into a store, or I'm gunna beat you to the swing kind of things. For years I would play along. The key word is play... The fake starts watching him dash away. Pretending my shoe came untied even though I never wore lace up shoes. The half hearted jogs after him... I was very good at playing! We've always had a blast as he beat me. By now your probably asking yourselves whats the NSV for pets sake! Here it comes...

Well early one morning as we were running errands before school. We found ourselves in a nearly deserted parking lot and before my foot hit the tarmac the inevitable words rang through the air. "Come on Mom, lets race to the door!" I had every intention of just doing the half hearted joggie thing but something in my mind said go for it. This was a subconcious impulse because I hadnt even realized I was till I was! I screamed out to him, "Hunnie look! Mom's running she's REALLY running!" It was brief. It was beautiful. It was a milestone. It also got me a bear hug and a " I'm proud of you Mom." from my son. Brought tears of joy to my eyes, more importantly it brought hope to my heart.

This kodak moment was brought to us ladies just before winter set in last year. Leaving us yearning for nice weather and just as it has... You all start this thread!! One more time, Thank You!

My days are Sunday, Wednesday, and Fridays hitting the trails at 5:30 am. Best of all my little man comes with me! He is my coach, my time-keeper, my cheery encourager. His presense alone makes me want to try harder. I adore this time with him alone as he teaches Mom to run using the c25k as a guideline. ( I have 2 teenage daughters so one on one time is precious. ) My secret goal, unbeknownst to him... Is to enter us into a 5k come Autumn. How cool would That be??!!??

Okies I am going to end this intro post here but I do have 1 question.

Are there any smokers doing this or am I the only nutter to attempt it? My secret Secret is that this running regime will help me put down the packs once and for all. Don't tell the boy, we dont want to gt his hopes up. One issue at a time.
sweetnsassyfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:10 AM   #32  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

Hi all!

Well, I did not make it out to run today and won't get a chance tomorrow I have a FULL agenda of meetings I didn't really know about earlier when I was planning this trip. The only good thing is one of my meetings today was a walking one so at least I got some exercise!

Sweetnsassy - what a great story! Thank you for sharing, and I'm so glad you joined us.
Caitbeans - you rock! I can't wait to catch up.

Everyone else - keep on keepin on! We are runners!!!
Amarie2pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:26 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 180/120

Height: 5'2''

Caitbeans, you rock!

Sweet& Sassy, aww, that is sweet. I'm a former smoker and just about your age, I'll be 42 in June. I quit 6 years ago. It's hard, but you can do it.

Dea, too funny, I bet you are the envy of those Mom's who wish they were doing something about it, too. I know, for a long time I wished to be thinner, but didn't do much to get there.

Me_ Amarie, you've got it right, we do what we can.

I've made it to week 8, not sure if I am running today or tomorrow, I think my knees could appreciate the extra day off.

How's everybody doing?
mothermavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:15 AM   #34  

Height: 5'3"

Today was W5D2 for me...and I did it wrong! Oops! I don't use the podcasts so usually I'll write it down but today I thought, Oh I can remember that. LOL. Oops. It's supposed to be 8 min run/5 min walk/8 min run but I did 5 min run 3 min walk, 5 min run, 3 min walk, 8 min run. No idea where I came up with that one. Oh well...still a huge accomplishment for me to have run 8 minutes! Here's to the REAL D2 on Wednesday

Awesome job, everyone. The progress posts are so motivating. Keep running!
BernerDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:15 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnsassyfied View Post
This kodak moment was brought to us ladies just before winter set in last year. Leaving us yearning for nice weather and just as it has... You all start this thread!! One more time, Thank You!
That is EXACTLY how I felt when I found that March C25K thread a few weeks ago! If it had been colder and still snowy out, I probably would have just ignored it. I don't have access to a treadmill or indoor track right now. But just as the sun started poking through and we got a few warm days, and I was wanting to spend more time outside, I found this great group of women.

Welcome, and keep up the good work!
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:05 PM   #36  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

You guys are doing great!
I am restarting week 1, since I didn't get a workout in on Saturday. I will just do MWF this week as week 1.
It's pretty doable. I am scared of week 3 already though
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:56 PM   #37  
back to balance

Height: 5'7"

W5D1 today - it was... surprisingly doable, actually! I'm tempted to go right ahead to day two on Wednesday, but I guess I will decide there and then. IN no way, shape or form can I imagine running 20 minutes straight by the end of this week, though. Eek!

Keep up the great work everybody, I love to read how you're all doing!
Heffalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:03 PM   #38  
Just keep moving ...

I did it! I couldn't sleep last night, so I just got up an hour early and I did W4D1!! holy cow!

I ran 5 minutes. Uh huh, me. 5 minutes!!!! It didn't even suck (too much). Ack, gotta go - plane is boarding.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:54 PM   #39  
Dea
TBL Blue team member

Sweetnsassy...I love walking/jogging with my kids too! I have 4 (yikes) so when any of them offer to join me, I always let them. My oldest daughter is a basketball player and track athlete...very fit! She usually runs ahead of me, and then runs back to meet me where I am. My middle two travel at the same pace as me...probably to support me, and my youngest (7) rides his bike.
Sometimes they all come along, but I actually like it better when just one joins me.....that one on one time is priceless. Thanks for the story!!
I did W1D2 yesterday afternoon with my middle daughter. I may do it again tomorrow, as my daughter had some cramps near the end, so I didn't run the last few minutes. The weather has been so lovely, it is so easy to be outside.
I really enjoy reading how well everyone is doing, and the progress you are making! Thanks for the motivation!
Me Amarie...great job

Last edited by Dea; 04-07-2008 at 08:56 PM.
Dea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:29 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Tonight I did W3D3. It was ok... I was running VERY slowly (probably less than 5mph) but it felt pretty good. I guess I'm just meant to be slow right now. And at that speed, I think I can start week 4 next time. Yikes!

My shins started to hurt, so I iced them after, and now they feel fine. I think the problem is that I ran Saturday, then did an aerobics video with some high-impact stuff Sunday, then ran again today. My legs can't handle the impact EVERY day. I might just focus on strength training on my off-days, with some walking thrown in to enjoy the weather.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:17 PM   #41  
Just keep moving ...

Mayness - a friend of mine gave me the best ever pointer about shin pain. She said that mine was because my stride was too bouncy. She had me look at something in the distance (tree, sign, whatev) and try to make it not bounce. I thought she was crazy, but holy cow! No more shin pain!
Old 04-08-2008, 03:05 AM   #42  
Leaning out of Lurkdom ;)

Height: 5' 7"

Thank you all for such a warm and hearty welcome!!

I look forward to doing this and reporting back to you tomorrow.
sweetnsassyfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:17 AM   #43  

S/C/G: 165/159/125

Height: 5'6

I did W3D3 today. It was so pretty outside, but I ended up running inside because I wanted to weigh myself today (and the closest scale I have is at the gym). I felt silly walking into the gym just to weigh myself, so I went ahead and did my run on the treadmill. I'll definitely do some walking outside today; I love the weather!

I ran at 6mph and walked at 3.5mph. I think when I do week 4 next week, I'll bump my running speed down to 5-5.5mph (at least for the first day) so that its not too hard for me.

sweetnsassyfied - let us know how it goes! good luck!!

mayness - don't worry about the speed too much; the important thing is that you are out there running! great job!
ShadesofGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:52 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 185/140/120

Height: 5ft 4"

Hello everyone. I started C25k a couple weeks ago at week 3. I am shocked at how fast it works. A long time ago I would try take up running and I think I spent a month doing ‘jog 1 minute, walk 2 mins’. Now I have goals and I am surprised that I can run 5 minutes straight and still have energy to run more. At the end of this week I have to run for 20 mins straight! That to me is extremely daunting, but I will do it! I am already thinking about what route I should take as I want it to be visually stimulation and the less people around the better.
dubh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:41 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 230/226/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothermavis View Post
Foodie, didya do it? If not, let's do it today. I am presently mustering up the energy to go finish week 7! I can't wait til I can post that I made it to week 8!

I just bought a book "The Non runners marathon guide for Women" It's very funny. I think I am going to keep going with the training after the C25K is complete and work toward a Half Marathon that is held about an hour from me in September.

Yes, I did!!! I finished up W3D3 on Saturday. Now, I'm on W4D1. I had meetings scheduled in the evenings on Monday-Thursday. I'm skipping today's meeting so that I can work out. I feel bad. I need to go, but I don't HAVE to be there. But, I'm committed to this. If I stop now, it will be hard for me to maintain momentum.
Foodie08 is offline   Reply With Quote