Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 11:02 PM   #196  

S/C/G: 304.2/298/124

Height: 5'3"

Hey everyone! I know i've been MIA for a while. Covid threw me for a loop, then both the kids got it, very mild. After that work was crazy busy all weekend so I just slept for a couple of days. I did get out to walk twice this week but I ended up having a couple of less than ideal eating days, Ikea meatballs with gravy and mashed potatoes, which caused a significant gain. I'm back at work this weekend so hopefully I can get back on track. I don't eat while working and so far I haven't been hungry during my shift. I was able to go shopping and stock up on salads so that always helps. My son is driving me up the wall this week. He has been giving us the silent treatment because I dared to suggest that he's no one's father around here and none of us has to listen to him(He's 18, you know, grown). I am really not excited about this stage....

Ann I grew up in Chicago until we moved to the suburbs when I was 10. I'm sure we had crime but I miss having public transportation and access to everything from museums to the lakefront, to shows and downtown attractions. Where I now live is probably considered the country and one thing I really miss is sidewalks. There is crime here as well just different kinds of crime. Stay warm up there during your real snowstorm. The crazed grocery frenzy happened for us 2 weeks ago when we ended up with an inch that melted in an hour. It's truly a comedy.

Carol, the grocery stores here all have empty shelves, walmart is the worst but I was able to get everything I needed. I bought all of the ingredients to try to make cabbage rolls so i'll let you know how they turn out!
Old 01-29-2022, 10:26 AM   #197  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Adrienne, I am so glad to see you back and posting. I was worried about you and your kids with covid. I'm glad you're all recovered.

Ann I hope you are safe and warm through this storm.

I am sleeping so much better. I'm not sure why but not complaining. I have been able to fall back to sleep after getting up for the bathroom. I have stopped listening to the radio. I used to need the radio to fall asleep. I still sleep very well in my recliner with the TV on.

Trish, I hope you are still doing well on plan. I see you hitting the 170s soon.

Mad, you will be happy to be in the 140s in time for your upcoming tests. 140 ish is my goal but I dont see myself reaching that without an amputation. I'd like to cut this belly off. I think that's where all my weight is.
Old 01-29-2022, 10:33 AM   #198  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hi all, 155 today, ate keto yesterday, so no worries. Anne, I just find I need the fasting as well as keto to lose. Today is fasting day, as we plan to have friends visit tomorrow.
Adrienne, so glad to hear from you and grateful you have recovered.
No big news today, just doing housework and staying warm. It went -30 last night, and was -24 when Buddy and I went out for our walk. It will gradually get warmer (to -10, its all relative) but at least we won't have the blizzard that is hitting Anne's area this weekend. In a few days it will be balmy, hovering around freezing, LOL

Have a good weekend.
Old 01-29-2022, 10:42 AM   #199  

Height: 5' 4"

good morning
in the throws of the storm now, very cold and windy. Snowing hard, we already have a couple inches here. Snuggled in for the weekend.

Trish-might be good that the wig is a little long, now you can style and trim it the way you want. I have never worn a wig, not sure I could take the pressure on my head, but it would be nice to have grab and go hair. Once I have slept on it, my hair is unmanagable, parts stick up, parts are flat, just a disaster.

Momoftopands, sorry you had covid too. I am still recovering here. I have never been to an Ikea, I don't think there is one anywhere near me, but I would love to go and look around. I thought they were just home goods, I had no idea they also had food.

I have been in this small town for 44 years I like the quiet and privacy. The first time my boyfriend was here at night he was surprised by how many stars he could see as there is no light pollution. His dogs were kind of wigged out walking down the road with the different smells and sounds. When a flock of 2 foot tall turkeys crossed the road in front of us they were stunned! My country dog is affected by all the traffic, smells and pigeons in the city.

Weight is still 3 lbs over last Sat, i am resigned to keeping at this until it moves. I did get on my bike last night and again this morning.

Fatmad, when you talk about fasting are you refering to the days where you eat less than 500 calories? If so do you alternate with normal eating days?
Old 01-29-2022, 11:34 AM   #200  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Adrienne , Good to hear from you and that you and children are passed the covid and back to normal life again.

Fatmad I've decided that I have to go back to the longer fasts and no shakes. I do think it is the best way for me. You have always inspired me with how it wo, rks for you and the benefits are great.

Ann, I wore wigs when DH and I first got married and loved wearing them because back then, he would get up and decide we were going to go somewhere. I had about 15 minutes to get ready to walk out the door so throwing on a wig was so much easier. I actually have a foam head that I put the wig on last night and messed with it and I don't think I will have to cut it. I can fix it like I want it on the head and then transfer it to me and it will be fine. I ordered 2 short ones last night and one will come in about a week and I will have to wait until March for the other one because of the color. If I'm going to wear them, I want them the same color.

Carol Sue, My sleep has gotten more relaxed and restful. I've heard that good sleep helps with weight loss. I guess we will see.

I got up and got on the scale this morning (supposed to be my WI day) and up 4.8 lbs from last week. I know it is water weight from all the sodium I have had the past few days, but I am still upset because that is going to ruin my loss for the month if I can't get it back down by Feb 1st. The big kicker is that DH wants pizza today. It is very obvious to me that I have to go back to my 4 or 5 hrs eating window and fast 19 to 20 and try to lose as much of that water weight as I can. Another thing I've decided is that diet food is not a thing I need to be eating. The reason being that when I eat a diet treat, I subconsciously think I can eat more. So those things won't come in this house anymore either.

I don't mind being 78 yrs old, but I don't want to act like one and I have always believed that is up to me. So I have got to do what I did when I was younger when it comes to exercise and the way I eat. There was a time I used my exercise bike almost every day and I ate 2 meals a day breakfast and dinner and I would never even take a ate bite of anything after our 3 pm meal. DH and I made it clear to people at church that we would come for fellowship at church functions but we didn't eat after dinner and no one had a problem with it. I need to get back to that mind set.

Those of you in the snowstorms stay warm and safe.
Hope everybody will have a great day.
Old 01-29-2022, 07:54 PM   #201  

I fell asleep again and I think my naps are helping me feel better. I'm not going to worry about it as long as I feel good. My body needs sleep no matter when I get it.

I ate a salad for dinner, just vegetables. My protein for the day is low but I have to do something to get my weight moving downward. Its not something I will do often. I only had one egg today so that's low. Eggs are not real high protein anyway.

Its still freezing here but is going up into the 40s soon. I need a break from this!

Trish, you did not gain 4 lbs of fat. It is water weight. I get upset about it too but its normal. Maybe when you had your lowest weight you were dehydrated. I get dehydrated often. A couple times in the hospital they put me on IV saline because I am dehydrated but I dont feel dehydrated. I don't drink as much water as I should because I don't want to have to go to the bathroom. The bad thing is when you retain water on your weigh in day. It makes it look like you didn't lose. This is what's bad about the scale, but it is the best way we have to keep ourselves on plan. I can say these things to others but have a hard time with it when its me.
Old 01-29-2022, 09:54 PM   #202  

Carol Sue I have found that I fall asleep when I need a nap and then there are days I don't. So I just figure that I needed it, The fact that you are feeling better means you needed those naps. So relax and enjoy them. When I lived in SC, we had this beautiful lady who said that she took a nap every day and told me that I should take one because it is so good for you.

I agree that the 4 lbs is water weight and will come back off but I wanted to be able to keep my 5 lb loss for this month and not sure that will be possible. I'm so tired of these months of only 1 or 2 lb losses. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful for every loss but just would have a really good one and be able to keep it off.

I managed to stay OP today even with the homemade pizza DH wanted. According to MFP, calories were under 1100 and net carbs less than 100 and within 5 hr eating window. Just need to remember to take it ODAT.

Old 01-30-2022, 07:54 AM   #203  

Well I am looking at 7 below zero with just under a foot of snow to move. I am in no hurry to get out there.

Weight is still sticking to 230. I log every bite. I am below 1200 calories most days, a few were 1400, Carbs are always below 20. Even if I am not in ketosis I should be losing, even half a lb. Still 3 lbs up from last week. i just don't know what else I can do. 30 years ago I was stuck at 145 lbs, I went to my Dr with my food logs and my exercises. I was running a mile every day on the treadmill at lunch, worked on the production floor on my feet all day. I was eating WW frozen foods for lunch and dinner, breakfast was a WW recipe. I was stuck for months, so she sent me to a nutritionist. This person never got my paperwork from the holder outside the door, but proceeded to 'beat me up' verbally. She scolded me and asked if I was trying to ruin my health, she said 1200 calories was to little, I needed to eat more. When I told her if I eat more I will gain, she insisted I might gain at first but then I would start to lose again. I left there in tears, she did nothing to help me. My Dr had ordered a cortizol test and said my results were 'backwards' high when it should be low, but wasn't going to do anything about it. Then she told me the nutritionist put in her notes that I was either underestimating what I was eating, or I was lying. Why would I lie then bring in food logs? And I had to pay for the nutritionist out of my own pocket. I wish they could put me in a fat farm, feed me exactly what I put down and figure out the problem. I am going to try boosting my intake to 1500 calories a day, for the next week, at this point, I just don't know what else to do except stop eating.
Ok, that is my vent for the day.
Old 01-30-2022, 07:57 AM   #204  
Madeleine

High all, maintaining at 154.5 but sabotaged my fasting last night, ate junk but SF junk, like atkins bars. The peanuts and cashews were ok I guess, as was the cheese. The sugar alcohols from the bars left me rumbly in my tummy, but no issues with BMs today, more than I deserve.
SO on this topic Anne, if you have read Dr. Jason Fung's books, either Obesity Code or Diabetes Code, he moves from just IF with a 6-8 hr eating window, to longer fasts. Longer fasts do more, so I try to do about 42 hours most of the time. This would be a supper time meal (and for me, really needs to be high fat and low carb) and then fasting the next day, and eating lunch or brunch the day after. My suppers tend to be early, like 5 pm. That's what works for me, and most people work up to eat, like doing a 22-24 hour fast first, like from supper to supper. Some people just dive in a do it longer to begin. Right now my weight is really resistant to loss, until this week. But the problem with working so hard to lose the weight is that I just get weary of it, and cave sometimes.

Trish, I think the carbs also bring in water weight, that was a much more high carb day for you too.
Carol: hope that light eating day felt good, sometimes its just right. One day with lower protein is not harmful.

Anyone else getting addicted to a daily Wordle? its sweeping through my FB friends, and I rather enjoy the challenge. If you like word games, give it a try.
warming up here today, looking forward to that!
Old 01-30-2022, 11:21 AM   #205  

I tried Wordle and got frustrated and quit. I am not into games.

Ann, weight loss is so frustrating. I truly believe our bodies adjust to whatever we do. If I knew the answer I'd be rich. The best I did was when I was eating in a 4 hour window but I know I was not eating enough to be healthy. I have heard what the nutritionist told you. If you don't eat enough your metabolism slows down. To correct your metabolism, eat much more. You will gain initially but once your metabolism speeds up you will lose. 1200 calories does not give your body the nutrients it needs. This is why MFP will not let you enter fewer calories. However, if you have to eat more to lose, why weren't you losing when you were eating more? Maybe you should have asked the nutritionist that question.

I have never been to a nutritionist except in the hospital. They know what they were taught in school. No one knows what its like for an overweight person if they have never been there themselves. I would be willing to accept the advice of a nutritionist who has lost 100 lbs.

​​​​​​
Old 01-30-2022, 02:28 PM   #206  

Ann So sorry you had that experience with the nutritionist. I had that with a diet doctor when I was in my 30s. I had lost a lot of weight with a diet doctor here where I live, but moved below Houston. I was excited to find another diet doctor and he gave me this diet that was loaded with bread and starches. The previous diet doc gave me pills that curbed my appetite so that I was fasting most of the time. I went on this doctor's 2 week diet plan and followed it to the letter and gained weight. He accused me of cheating and I came home in tears. Later I joined Overeater's Anonymous and went on a strict low carb diet and felt great and lost weight. I eat healthy grains, but I know that I would have died on his diet.
When I moved back to TX, I went to see a nutritionist because I had hit a wall. They told me I was doing all the right things so just keep doing what I was doing and remember that although the scale doesn’t show progress that I needed to feel good because I was eating healthy. Hard to remember when you get my age and the scale doesn’t always show progress as quickly as it did when I was younger. On the other hand, I am healtheir than most people my age which helped some the day I was going to see my Daddy in the nursing home and realized that a lot of those people were my age or even younger. Daddy was almost 97 yrs old at the time. If you haven't read Dr. Fung's book(s) it would help you a lot. Fasting with a shorter eating window does help a lot and the health benefits are great.

Carol Sue I hope you got a good nights sleep last night. After talking about how good I’ve been sleeping, I couldn’t sleep last night. I ended up getting back up around 3 am and went back to bed around 5. So not much sleep last night. I had a tickle in my throat and kept coughing and finally took some Nyquil and was able to fall asleep. I had to quit taking Lisinopril because of that tickle in my throat and hope I don’t have to give it up again since doc says it protects me from strokes and heart attacks.

Weight back down to 186.8. I was worried the Nyquil would mess up my FBG but it was back down to 101 this morning but bp was up to 123/59 which is normal for most but a little high for me so not an issue. Hope I don’t have to take it again. I think the insomnia was from a combo of an extra cup of coffee and fasting. I didn’t eat breakfast this morning and the plan is to eat only 1 meal today hoping that I can drop the rest of the water gain so I get at least a 4 lb loss this month.

Fatmad I agree about the high carb day probably causing such a rise in the water weight. Although I do eat more carbs even starchy ones, I do not usually eat that much in one day.

Have a great day everybody and stay warm.

Old 01-30-2022, 03:35 PM   #207  

I waited until it was 10 above to go out and move snow, I have to shovel the steps and in front of garage doors. Then I snowblow the driveway and a path for the oil man. I shoveled a bit from the steps to the patio for Otis. I have a half acre fenced in for the dogs so all I have to do is open the door and safely let them out. I went back out after I warmed up, got my ski poles and put on snowshoes and managed to break a trail for Otis almost to the barn, made a circle and came back, about 150 feet from house to barn so it was an effort, also went around garage and got half way to the compost bin. At this point my hands were cold so I came back in to warm up.

I was feeling strong and decided to see if I could snowshoe out to the game cameras, closest one is 175 feet from the house and they get further from there, a few hills up and down. Much to my surprise I made it out to the first one and decided to keep going, reminding myself I had to be able to get back to the house. We had 10-14 inches of fresh snow and out in the woods there were drifts 2-3 feet deep. Ski poles made it almost easy to get out there. Feeling pretty darn proud of myself.

I guess if I can't seem to shake up my diet -I can shake up my exercise, I have gotten in over 6000 steps so far and the day isn't over. I did 25 minutes on the bike

Breakfast was 2 egg omelet with cheese, 2 slices zero carb bread, and 2 slices smoked bacon. Around 500 calories

Dinner was 8 oz of shave pastrami..

Trish, interesting how different Dr's percieve your issues and treat it.

Fatmad-I can fast for 20 hours without a problem but I don't think I could go 42. I started IF when I was stalled at WW, I just started eating breakfast an hour later each day and dinner an hour earlier until I got to a 4 hr eating window. I dropped 6 1/2 lbs the first week, really just caught me up. Most days now I dont' eat first meal until 11 or later in the morning, dinner by 6 so I am mostly doing 18/6.

Carol, I so agree with you on having a Dr who has been through the wieght struggle. One reason I had liked WW was the leaders had been where everyone else was.

I am going to snowshoe tomorrow too, if I keep on going out to the cameras there is a trail that will take me into a big field, so I can go as far as I want.

Last edited by Gone Astray; 01-30-2022 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-30-2022, 11:38 PM   #208  

My weight was down .4 but still 190.0. Can't get back down in to the 180s. Maybe I'll break thru tomorrow. I only had a salad for dinner again tonight.

I only slept less than 5 hours last night. What was different, I ate close to bedtime and I didn't take my magnesium. I am still only taking half . I want to increase it but I'm afraid. I'm not big on taking supplements. I recently started taking a multi vitamin mineral, increase d my Vit D,, added K2 and COq10. I am feeling better in general. Can't put my finger on what's causing it. None of it is increasing weight loss or lowering blood sugar.

I need Sara Lee bread and can only get it at Wal-Mart so we will go tomorrow. I have a short list and DH has to return a little TV to Goodwill that does not work.

Today we rode out to step sons and exchanged Christmas gifts! They are finally all recovered from covid. I got a school picture of DGS. Step son says he eats like a horse and has really grown. I will figure out how to post it.

Old 01-31-2022, 12:03 AM   #209  

Carol Sue, I have found that I don't sleep as well when I am doing longer fasts as well as eating lower carb. Not sure why. I just figured that is how it works at least for me.

I actually ate only one meal today. I was tempted to eat this evening, but I really wanted to prove to myself that I could do it. Thankfully, I made it.
Old 01-31-2022, 07:35 AM   #210  
Madeleine

HI everyone. 155 today, and planning this to be a fasting day. I did not fast yesterday, stayed keto. Was a stellar 4.9 on my glucometer this morning, so very happy with that. I was 4.8 on the 27th, but in between was 5.6-5.9 the rest of the time. But have 2 in a week below 5 makes me think I am trending down a bit. nothing over 6.0 which is also good. ( I had a couple up there over the holidays)
I am testing more because my strips are expiring, so I may as well get the information while they are still good. I figure I will keep testing at least until my lab work next week to see if the A1C is in basic agreement, and will do a blood sugar at the same time to calibrate the meter. My waist stays at 35 inches, which is fine, I have not lost weight to earn fewer inches, but am happy to be down from the 36+ I was a few months ago when I was 167 pounds.
Ann, our occasional member Pipsicle has similar problems with weight loss. The shift is incredibly slow and frustrating for her. I am not sure why this happens to some people.
When I was a health care provider, I knew that some people lie, but I always worked from a position of believing people. I believed if I built their trust in me, they could be honest with me. The only people who lied to me when i felt we had a trusting relationship, we mentally ill. They had postpartum psychosis, not depression, they knew they were "crazy" and trying to hide it. They both had to be hospitalized. So I know it was the mental illness lying. ( I was a midwife, so worked with mainly healthy women)
Ann, One thing I see with you is that you are a healthy person in terms of activity. This can only help. Not so much with weight loss, it usually takes extreme exercise to cause weight loss, but normal fitness tones us and helps regulate blood sugar and protects the health of the heart and other organs.
Our very overweight friend was over yesterday. She started the victoza shots and has lost 15 pounds in a month. Her appetite is way down. She is so very obese and round, but I think I can see that she is not "bursting at the seams" with all of her clothes. I hope this keeps working for her. She has been so unhealthy, not just in weight. I am glad she and her physician have found something that helps.
Trish: I would have to go over Dr. Fung's books but there is something about fasting raising cortisol levels. I am not sure what else to do, I know a resting/meditation session during the day and with insomnia was suggested. I do that when I try to nap, it is relaxing, but I rarely sleep, but occasionally get a few minutes of a nap. It is never refreshing though, but I live in hope.

Hope everyone has a good start to the week.

Closed Thread