Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 08:03 PM   #346  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

https://www.healthgrades.com/right-c...aralytic-ileus

This is the complication DSS is having. Hope it is corrected soon.
Old 02-19-2022, 11:28 PM   #347  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue I pray your DSS will have relief and be back home soon. That sounds very painful.

I really can't decide if MFP tracking helps me or not. I don't really think it does. It sure didn't help today. The only good things I can say about today is that I stayed within 7 hr eating window and I got 35+ exercise and activity. Hoping for a better day tomorrow. I probably need to eat less carbs or get back to seriously following WWSF plan.
Old 02-20-2022, 07:04 AM   #348  

Height: 5' 4"

Carol, then good news is they have figured out what the issue is, reading through the article, I can see why it is so difficult to diagnose. Now they can come up with a treatment plan. Hoping for a quick resolution and implementation.

Patty, I have never used MFP, I have a Fitbit and I use that site to log food and daily weight. For a while when I was on Keto, I started also logging food into Atkins site, because FB doesn't count net carbs. Was too much and I transitioned to low carb and not keto for long term. I pretty much never do entries on my phone, too small and difficult to type.

I did manage to keep my sodium under 1300 mc yesterday, tough when a half cup of cereal has 110 mc and an Atkins shake has 200.

I have the ThinSlim brand zero carb keto bread that I am not that crazy about, but yesterday I found a wrap that is super low carb. These are FlatOut Carb Down wraps, 45 calories, 4 g net carbs, and 9 grams fiber. They are only 6 x 9 but I could make a quesadilla with them. I think enchiladas would be good too.

I found the pictures, I had looked everywhere twice. DBF asked me if I looked in the closet in the spare bedroom and of course I had. I went back in there just now and lo and behold, under a built in drawer unit I saw a frame sticking out. Now I just have to get the picture hangers out of the shop. And no, I am not going to tell him he was right!

Old 02-20-2022, 10:38 AM   #349  

Ann, I'm glad you found the pictures and I agree you don't tell DBF that he was right.

Trish, today I read a discussion that dietary carbs interfere with fat burning. I think I knew that, but like my carbs too much to apply that to my eating. Fat is ok if not excessive and terrible when combined with a carb, as in bread and butter. I wonder if butter on vegetables is bad since vegetables are actually carbs? I have started using Parm cheese on my vegetables instead of butter but that is still carb and fat I think. I put my bread in the freezer and stopped eating toast with my eggs. But I still eat other carbs that I shouldn't.

I also agree that a calorie is NOT a calorie and calories in vs calories out is not the answer. But that is the only way I have of keeping track of what and how much I'm eating. I am still eating when not hungry and not stopping when satisfied. That's very hard when you live with someone else, especially eating only when hungry. If I eat eggs I don't get hungry again for hours. Its the protein and fat that does it. But DH eats, and I really like some of the things he eats. He makes really tasty sandwiches and I also love the Pastaroni. Its so hard to not eat it. These are things that would not even be in the house if I lived alone. He used to eat Ramen Noodles all the time and I could never resist that either. Somehow he switched to Pastaroni which comes with such a tasty sauce. I guess I really love noodles but would never buy them if alone. Big time trigger food!

I ate so much soup yesterday. I have some leftover in the fridge. It is really good. It could use some salt but I'm trying to cut back for my blood pressure. I know the vegetables are heavy on sodium. I know I can get myself used to less salt even though it makes food taste so much better. I keep remembering that my BIL had seizures because his sodium went too low. He had to be hospitalized.

It went down to 18 overnight but is going up to 47 degrees today! Such a big change but it makes me happy.

I found my answer to the carb/fat dilemma. Vegetables with fat are ok because they are complex carbs. It's
​​​​​refined carbs that should not be combined with fat.

https://drbeckyfitness.com/why-fat-a...0fatty%20acids.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 02-20-2022 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-20-2022, 01:07 PM   #350  

Ann I thought that was so funny not telling DBF because there are times when I tell DH he was right it shocks him. It is good for them to wonder. I know DH would end up saying something like "why don't you listen to me?" And I don't want to hear it.

Carol Sue I thought about doing Atkins Induction for a jump start and still might at some point but not right now. DH thinks he does low carb but he doesn't. Thanks for the article. I will check it out.

We have early voting here and next week is the last week to go vote. We won't vote until we research them as much as we can. I learned to that when I married DH and moved to FL. I went online and printed a copy of the ballot and will research them today so we can go vote tomorrow before the weather gets bad. One of the young ladies running for judge is my pastor's/friend's daughter. I taught her in Bible classes when she was young growing up. Very sweet girl. Makes me feel old to see these kids all grown up now. I saw a young man I taught on Children's church on FB. He was the little boy who wrote on the wall with a crayon. I told him if he did it that I would make him clean it up. He did and I made him wash it off. Now he is a handsome young man with a beautiful family.

Oh well so much for walking down memory lane today. I need to get busy. I am counting calories and watching the carbs attempting to keep net carbs under 100 g.

Have a great Sunday everybody.
Old 02-20-2022, 06:14 PM   #351  

I thought my day was off to a good start, I did my bike early, found the pictures, stripped the bed and did a load of wash. Then Otis vomited around noon, and it has gone downhill since. Repeat at 3 and 6. He has a history of pancreatitis but has been on prescription low fat dog food for over a year. He is a dog who doesn't get into stuff and does eat or chew anything he should not. No idea what triggered it, vet of course is closed and the emergency one is where we went on Wednesday. I have offered congee( boiled chicken and white rice cooked to a mush) he acts interested but doesn't touch it. There is a shot they can give him and pills for me to bring home for nausea. I left a message and will be ready to go there as soon as they open. didn't get the pictures hung as I can't find the hangers for the wall. another search begins.

I did tell DBF where I found the pictures and he said " See, you never listen to me." I have no idea why I told him.
Old 02-20-2022, 09:16 PM   #352  

Ann, Sorry about Otis. I hope you hear from the vet and get help for him ASAP. My daughter's furry baby has to be on a special diet for a digestive problem and I know how she worries when he is sick.

My day has gone well. I see that I am eating too many carbs although they are complex and should not be a problem. I should know by the end of the month if I need to make some sort of change. Did stay within a 7 hr eating window.
Old 02-20-2022, 11:16 PM   #353  

I think I ate too much today but I had soup again for dinner so that was good.

Funny. I was looking for a particular top to wear today. DH went downstairs to look for it hanging in the laundry room where I thought it was. He said its black and I said I don't think it is. He said it was not downstairs. I went down and found it right away, and its purple! So he's not so smart!!

Trish, I understand about DH not eating low carb. My friend always used to think she just had to avoid sugar but after I told her she also had to avoid carbs that turned right to sugar, she was able to lower her A1c. She never checks blood sugar. She just counts carbs and waits for her A1c every 6 months.

I might put my scale away for a while. I am afraid of doing that because I might have a big gain, but the ups and downs are starting to really activate me.

Step son is not doing too good. He has a lot of pain so they put him back on morphine. I don't like that. I'm getting scared for him because they are doing tests but not finding the problem. He is upset and doesn't want to talk to anyone. I wonder if the doctors know what they are doing.
Old 02-21-2022, 06:57 AM   #354  

Carol, I am so sorry about the condition of your DSS. Very upsetting that they have not been able to pinpoint the issue and get him on the road to recovery. I read that stress increases cortizol which can make losing weight difficult and increase blood sugar levels.
https://www.premierhealth.com/your-h...stress-hormone
My Dr had me come in for fasting labwork early in the morning and again in evening when I was having issues losing. She said my cortizol numbers were 'backwards' high at time of day when should be low and low when should be high, but she said " but we aren't going to do anything about them." Well gee, that was worth it!!

I weigh every day, and I record it in Fitbit, to look at a graph of my weight you would think you are looking at a crazy jagged saw blade. When it goes up 4 lbs over night I finally have to realize it isn't fat, it isn't bone, it isn't muscle. It is a combination of body mass, undigested food, and retained water. I put in a lot of effort to get an optimal weigh in( lowest possible) wearing only a nightgown, after using bathroom, before food or coffee, I think when those stars line up and I get a new low I am excited, but then I have a hard time repeating it. I do have issues with both constipation and water retention. Years ago I did an experiment, I weighed myself every hour from waking to bed. Due to bathroom usage, eating, drinking and clothing, my weight varied 8 lbs during that day. I lose slowly, I have come to terms with that, I have ups and downs due to bowel issues and fluid. I have plateaus. I need to weigh every day, at least 20 times in my life I have been at goal, realized clothes were getting tight and would not get on the scale until I lost the weight. those 5 lbs turned into a lot more. This is just what I need to do, it is very hard for me to be accountable, journaling every bite, weighing and recording is difficult but it makes me face it.

I can honestly say this is the longest I have been on a food plan and not gone off of it, not skipped logging food. I have had days where my system was backed up and I didn't weigh in, but now I am making myself do it anyway and enter in Fitbit. I have an appointment with new Dr in June and I want all the data I have in the event we are talking about issues losing weight.

We made it through the night ok, he was looking for his breakfast after he went out so I tried a piece of kibble and he ate it, I only gave him a small amount of kibble and congee. So far so good, still getting him into the vet. Just wish we could figure out what triggers these episodes.

My plan for the day is getting Otis feeling better. Other than that I need to get picture hangers so will stop in town and get a package just to be done. Weather is going to be in 50's hoping to spend time outside, I need to do clean up in dog yard and I just need to be outside walking in the yard
Old 02-21-2022, 08:09 AM   #355  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

HI everyone: we certainly have all been having weight issues here, ups and downs. I found I was up to 156 yesterday after eating Keto on Saturday, so I can only guess the weight was "catching up" from my eating on the trip. I am 154.5 today after fasting yesterday.
I always get a bigger gain from eating carbs but it settles out after a while. I think low carb initial losses are related to releasing retained fluids. I don't react to sodium much, but I do to sugars and carbs for sure.

younger DD has been here since Saturday for a prolonged visit. Her BF was away and she doesn't like to be alone at home for a long time. Last night she went to a bonfire birthday party at a friend's farm, just like the old days when she was in high school, though I think they actually drank less than they did back then. LOL. We drove her both ways so no worries about drinking and driving.
Her dog gets along with ours for the most part. It is a long weekend here, today is "family day" for people to do things with their family. So we had a good family day weekend with her here.

Carol: the Ileus usually resolves on its own. I hope he can move around and walk a bit, that usually helps a lot. Passing gas usually resolves the pain best, in my experience. I used to see a bit of this after c-sections. While pain relief might be needed, walking the halls was the best treatment of all. I hope he is able to move and do that to get back on track.

AnnL you have been close to your goal for the 20 pound loss. I think you are really sensitive to many things and retain fluid when you don't feel well. This happened with Covid and now with your vaccine reaction. I get that you need to weigh daily to stay accountable to yourself, but don't stress for now about the gains when you know you are eating right and just retaining fluid. This WILL pass.
For all of us, constipation can be an issue and I have found my treatments and solutions that work for me which has made a nice difference.
Carol is right that not going every day doesn't necessarily mean there are problems, but for me, that is a problem. I normally go once to twice a day and less than that and I feel bloated and have pain.
Fortunately, I am going fine right now.

Have a good Monday friends.

Old 02-21-2022, 09:55 AM   #356  

Anh, I hope Otis improves. I understand your weight loss and weighing issues and weighing daily. I have weighed almost every day since getting this scale. It records weight to an app, along with BMI, fat %, water weight, etc, all of which I ignore. The app is synced to Fitbit, and also to MFP. So my weight is automatically recorded in all 3 places. Before I had this scale I used a balance beam scale and weighed sporadically, mostly if I felt "skinny.". I would go for days and weeks without weighing then felt the need to face the music and get back on plan. It was rarely more than a few pounds. I have no bigger clothes except for a few tops that are a little roomier and some stretchy pants and leggings. I don't wear those pants or leggings anywhere but home. So if I gain a considerable amount I'll know it in my clothes or rings. I will not buy bigger clothes. I'm too cheap! I just have to take a break from the frustration of the ups and downs. I feel that I've been spinning my wheels for the past few years. I'm not giving up. I've been dieting for 55 years and the diet mentality is ingrained. I'm ever aware of what I'm eating and the effect its having on my body. I eat things I shouldn't eat, but I'm aware of the toll its taking. And I'm always weighing calorie counts in my head instead of just eating what I prefer. So I don't see danger in what I'm doing. I don't feel I'll get out of control. You can't keep doing the same thing and expect different results, so I have to find something different. I have known people who got on the scale and were surprised to see they lost 10 lbs! I can't imagine that but I'd like it. Maybe I will just eat to control my blood sugar and see where that takes me.

In the past I've found that weighing around 9-10 am is my lowest weight but I'm usually up much earlier. I weigh in my nightgown but I've usually had coffee first. Sometimes even after visiting the bathroom my weight is up.

Someone on another forum said her BIL had what step son has for 6 weeks! Yikes!

Old 02-21-2022, 01:24 PM   #357  

The scan they did on step son yesterday showed something wrong, so he is being prepped for surgery again.
Old 02-21-2022, 01:58 PM   #358  

Carol Sue Praying for you DSS that this surgery will fix the problem and he will be able to heal and get back to his life. I can only imagine what your DH and DIL are going through right now.

Ann, Glad Otis is feeling better and hope you get what you need from vet to be prepared for these episodes.

Weight down .6 lbs. I've decided that since weight has jumped like it has not to go low carb. I am going to keep doing WW at this time. I have the materials and I have always done very well using the fiber plan. I still have all my WW materials. I saw someone the other day saying that she is doing it on the Simply Filling FB group. She said she does the old Points Plus plan. That was the plan I did really good on. Like you Carol Sue, I think it is important for me to continue to do this so I can keep my blood sugar under control.

Can't go vote today because Presidents Day so we will either go tomorrow or just wait and go here in our little suburb on March 1st. I still need to finish my research. Weather may not work in our favor this week. I do need to go to the store for lettuce. Waiting to hear from beautician to see if she has opening for first Wed or Thurs of March. Still will be cold weather, but at least it will be dry.

Today is pizza day since DH asked for it. Not what I want to eat with tomorrow being my WI day although I am thinking about giving up WI days. I do plan to keep weighing every day. It is just my routine I've had ever since I took control of my blood sugar. I track weight, FBG and BP every day for more years than I can remember. No reason to change it now.

Half of my exercise is done so now I need to do the 20 minutes on my bike. That is another thing I am doing. When I moved here, I let a comment made by my new doc stop me from the exercise I was doing when I moved back to TX. I am going back on WW fiber plan and the same exercises that I did in SC.

Have a great day everybody.

Old 02-21-2022, 04:44 PM   #359  

SS went into surgery at 3:30 EST. I have pork chops out for dinner but DH doesn't feel like eating.

Trish, I am confidant that you will get back on the right plan for you, as you have in the past. Low carb never was the right plan for you. You should continue to record your daily stats as you have been doing. We each have to do what is best for us.

I am freezing again. We went out for breakfast at 11:00. Bob Evans was too crowded so we went next door to another restaurant. That's probably why neither of us is really hungry. I think I will make some hot tea and get under my snuggy. Maybe some more soup.

Old 02-21-2022, 04:44 PM   #360  

Oh Carol, so sorry for what DSS is going through for him and the whole family. Hope this surgery fixes or identifies the cause so it can be treated. terrible time for you all.

Mad, isn't it fun to have adult daughter one on one time? Mine comes up and stays over now and then, we put on stupid TV and just talk and laugh, does us both good.

Patty, I agree with doing what works for you. When I did WW the very first time it was the old quick start program. I lost 80 lbs and got to goal on that, I was also 29. I loaned my cookbook with the plan to someone and never got it back. It was my favorite plan because it didn't just give you points to spend as you wished, it gave you a number of 'exchanges' that were a certain portion with a specified number of calories. I know I only got 2 starch exchanges a day, That made it a bit on the lower carb side. I had to get in protiens, fat, dairy, fruits and veggies. I did find the cookbook online, it was used and I paid a dollar for it, I know i do better with a structured plan, not tons of options or leway. That is why I am happy to have the same one or two breakfasts and lunches over and over.
The loss of over 3.5 lbs from Sat shows me it was all the sodium and bathroom issues. I stopped all the sausage and bacon, I actually went back to Fiber One cereal with an Atkins vanilla shake for breakfast. I also added protein to my lunch salads after reading how it uses a lot of calories to digest. I don't mind a little tweaking now and then.

I called the vet twice this am and finally they let me know I could bring him in and they would give him IV fluids but didn't have anyone to do an exam and xray. By that time he had already eaten 2 tiny meals with gusto and was keeping them down, I picked up the anti nausea pills and will just keep them in case I need them. Hopefully not.

I am picking up grand daughters tomorrow and keeping them for a few days. My ex-husband's brother passed away from covid last Monday. She is flying down to SC to see her dad as he is having a tough time with it. I really liked my BIL, he was a good man.

Mask mandates have been lifted here, but I continue to wear one. Most people in Home Depot were masked. I used to buy the glass for my picture frames from Amazon and Michaels, right now neither has it. I am wondering if it is a shortage. I found it at HD and bought them out. I could probably get it at a glass company but I think it would cost a lot more. I had a custom piece cut for a special picture I took and the frame and it was $25.00.

Closed Thread