Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 01:33 PM   #316  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

FBS 157 but weight is finally back to 215.8 so that isn't unusual for the FBS to be a little higher when the weight goes down. Now to keep it going. I've added fiber back into my eating plan. I'm not even going to call it a diet. I'm just trying to eat healthier and better for DH and me. I did manage to keep my eating window to 2 meals and within 8 hrs maybe a little less than 8. I still had the food I like but I took the snack food I like which is a kind of Southern style trail mix I found at Sam's with not so much sodium and it has a lot of mixed nuts in it and I've been buying those Cocoa Yogurt raisins in a little serving box and mix them with it and make it a dessert I drink with my decaf Pecan coffee after dinner. I'm hoping by making it kind of a after dinner treat, it will become a signal that eating is ended for the day. That way I can stay within 8 hr eating window. Kind of exciting to drop from 218 yesterday to 215.8 this morning. Gives me the incentive I need to KOKO.

Doctor's appoint in a couple of hours and I'm looking forward to getting my blood work results and hoping that both DH and mine are better than we think especially A1c. I am hoping he can go back on Jardiance for BG. Our Part D insurance covers it where the company they took over didn't. Jardiance actually worked for DH. I would love to get something to help me get A1c down below 6, but I'm afraid if I start taking it then I might have to take it, but I will talk to him about it. I am also going to talk to him about my thyroid since I had that spell with fatigue and cold. I read about it in some newsletter I got yesterday. It said all that fatigue can make you feel depressed too. So I will see. However, I'm wondering if since I've added the fiber back into my diet and getting more magnesium if that isn't correcting some of it too. Any way, I will talk to him about it.

Daddy was not a happy camper yesterday. He had dreamed that he couldn't move his legs and couldn't stand at all. When he woke up, he had difficult time with transfers. He went down to the therapist and told them to either help him or just forget him. I don't know why they change therapy as he goes. I wish he had that girl that helped him yesterday all the time. She stimulated his nerves in his arms and legs and showed me what she did and I asked if he can stand and walk. He didn't walk, but he did stand up for me. I'm not sure what all this means. He told me a story later that he had told and laughed about all my life about the time we went to see the couple who lived in Denver who had been our neighbor for years in TX. The man just loved my sister and she wanted to ride a rollercoaster. So he road it with her 2x if I remember rightly and he had to go to the doctor later because he thought he was having a heart attack, but the doctor told him he was too old for that kind of thing. Yesterday Daddy said it was my baby sister and they road a farris wheel. So that kind of bothered. I mentioned roller coaster several times thinking he would catch it and change it, but he never did. I didn't correct him because it would up set him and he is dealing with enough right now.

Just looked at the clock got to get ready to go.

BBL
Old 01-30-2019, 02:23 PM   #317  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, that's great that you are back down to 215! Truthfully, what you eat is your "diet." Somewhere along the line people started to consider the word "diet" to mean "weight loss diet." You can eat a low carb diet or low fat diet or a balanced diet, and it is still just what you eat. Now it is called more a WOE.

We were supposed to go to Cardiac Rehab on Tuesday to get DH signed up. They called and cancelled it til Thursday. I was considering cancelling again because it's supposed to be so cold but I didn't. Then today they called and cancelled until next Tueday. We might be able to wear shorts by then. I really didn't want to go out at all today or tomorrow. The high tomorrow is supposed to be 10. It would have been much colder at 9AM which was our appointment time. DH does not want to do this but I am encouraging him to do it. I wish I could do it with him. I probably could, because of the heart attack I had in April. I think you have one year to do rehab. They never mentioned it to me at the time.

DH took the garbage out last night and also went out to get the mail today. It was only one piece of junk mail so now he realizes how much I hate it when I walk out there for just junk mail. We don't get much that's important.

I think your A1c will be better. It might not be below 6 but below 7 is what most doctors aim for and it's considered good. We all want it below 6. Mine was only below 6 one time, and that was when I was exercising regularly.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:47 PM   #318  

Doctor's appointments went very well. A1c was 6.2. I had lost 4 lbs since last visit. However, when I think 4 lbs in 6 months, my feeling is really? In fact, I was so surprised that I asked him "Really"? I told him that I actually stress over my weight all the time, but that I'm trying to have the attitude the dietitian told me to remember you are eating healthy. He looked back on my records and said "Your A1c always runs between 5.9 and 6.4. So you are good."

Fatigue is not a thyroid thing, but he thinks it is the mild fluid pill that I take. He said my sodium is very low and could be the problem along with all the stress of the holidays and all that has been going on with Daddy. I am to stop taking that fluid pill and go back in 2 weeks and lab work done again to see if this improves. He said they look at some other things before they test for sleep apnea, but we will do that if I need to later. He asked DH if I snore and he told him that I don't snore any more. I did when I weighed more, but not now. So I got a good report over all and go back in 6 months when he does a more thorough blood work. I think I'm feeling so much better just knowing what I learned from doctor's appointment.

DH A1c is above 8 and the doctor hasn't ever liked him taking Glimipiride. The Doc gave him samples of Ozempic a shot similar to Trulicity hoping DH doesn't have any problems with it. So if DH has no problem taking it and his bs come drops, he wants him to stop taking the Glimipiride. He goes back in 3 months to see how it is doing with it. So I guess we both had a good appointment. He did tell DH that treating him is different because he doesn't have a weight problem that will lower bs problems when he loses weight. I pray DH has no problem taking it and that it works for him.

Pipsicle It's good that you are trying and seeing some loss. Remember those small losses add up to more and before you know it they will add up to more. So just keep on trying, you will make it girl. Believe me I have to tell myself that quite often so I speak from experience.

Carol Sue What is cardiac rehab? Or perhaps, I should ask how their cardiac therapy works there. Is it like Daddy's once a month etc where they told him what to eat etc and keep up with how he is doing until he can go without having to go so often? Or is one of those types of things where they exercise etc? It seems like different places have different treatment.

I never did like getting out when the weather was so bad and I never drive on ice and snow. So I don't blame you for wanting to stay home. Not only that but it is just too cold to get out with the weather so low. I would trust DH driving in it since grew up driving in that stuff in IN although I would probably be a nervous wreck by the time we got back home. We don't have the equipment down here to clean of the roads so it is healthier and safer and wiser to stay at home. Won't they be off that day if the weather is bad. Our doctor's offices etc close down when there is snow and/or ice.

As much as I hate having to wait to go to the mailbox around the block, I used to hate going to the mailbox and getting junk mail and I still hate driving over there and getting out of the car to open the box with a key and either have nothing or junk. I would really hate it in the weather you are getting. Y'all stay warm and I hope your DH will be very careful going to the mailbox.

fatmad I hope your neck and shoulder pain is better and you stay warm. Your weather is so cold it makes me want to shiver just thinking about it.

Y'all have a great evening.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 01-30-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:12 AM   #319  

Trish, you A1c of 6.2 sounds very good to me even though you wanted it below 6. You can get it there with diligence with your eating and exercise, but it is really good where it is. Mine was 6.4 last time and I'm hoping it doesn't go up any from there.

I will be curious to hear how your DH does without his G. It's really a dangerous drug because you can get a serious low if you aren't careful. I agree with the doctor that it's very unusual that your DH does not have a weight problem. G tends to cause weight gain and your DH was on a high dose. From what I have read, it sounds like your DH has LADA which is sometimes called Type 1.5. People who have that don't gain weight. But I am not a medical professional and cannot make a diagnosis. There is a woman on the LC forum who was told she is prediabetic but she had trouble keeping her weight up. She has to eat really high fat to keep from losing weight. She was the reason why the discussion of LADA came up.

I went to Cardiac Rehab after my heart surgery and again after a stent. Here, you go 3 times a week for 6 weeks for 1 hour. They put a heart monitor on you and you do things like walk, ride an exercise bike and use an arm ergonomitor, which is like pedaling a bike with your arms. There are about 8-10 people in each class. While you are doing the exercise they watch a screen to see what your heart is doing while you are exercising. If they see a problem they have you stop and they call your doctor. I have seen them stop people and also saw someone leave in an ambulance. I think it's very important to know what your heart is doing after the surgery which you don't know by exercising on your own. The exercise is very slow. I kept trying to speed up and they kept telling me to slow down. I was used to walking on my treadmill a lot faster than that. DH doesn't want to do it. We are going to tell them they will have to make allowances for his broken hip surgery, also, because he might not be able to walk as long or as far as they want him to.

Today my FBG was 99 with G and my weight is down 2 lbs to 182. I figured that was going to happen because I was up 5 times during the night to go to the bathroom. I felt terrible last evening. I don't know what was wrong. Something had me very gassy. I felt very tired, my chest hurt, and actually my arms legs and hands all hurt. I rubbed some Vicks on my chest and I felt better after that. I am no longer gassy. I don't know what I ate that made me that way but I feel back to normal today.

We don't have any ice and snow on the roads. There is some on the driveway but DH made a path in it to the mailbox. We could easily go out if we had to, but we don't have to so we are staying in. They say it is very bad for the elderly be be outside in these temperatures. I think it's supposed to start to warm up tomorrow. When it does snow here, they usually have the roads cleared within 24 hours, unless it is a really big pile up. In the past we have had 2-3 ft of snow and that took days to get cleared. We haven't had that since I was working, and that's been 10 years or more. Now we usually get 2-4 inches and not usually more than 6-8. We haven't had temperatures this cold in years.

I think DH should just get the mail when he goes out somewhere instead of making a special trip to walk out there as soon as he sees the mail man. My BIL does that too, and so does my friend. Unless I think I am getting something important, like a check, I don't see the reason to go right away. I ordered a book and it is supposed to come tomorrow, so that will be a reason to go out to the mailbox. We can see the mailman when he comes, and can see how much he's putting in the box.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:16 PM   #320  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Carol: I think the mail is a good excuse to go out and get a little exercise, but not if its too cold to enjoy the walk. I often park far from the store to do the parking lot walk and such. But we also have to figure out what works.
Tomorrow DH and I are going skiing. As usual, I will do Cross-country and he will do downhill. It will be a little warmer tomorrow, just -13 instead of -22. LOL.

Trish: glad your doc is on top of things. Are you allowed to salt your food to taste too? I hope the change in medication will help and you get some energy.

Stuck to plan today. Low carb, high fat all the way. I will fast tomorrow and eat Saturday. Thats my current plan anyhow.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:06 PM   #321  

Well, it has been a long day, but I could use more hours in a day. I just don't seem to get everything done that I want to do. I did get my exercise in so with the walk at the store twice this week, I can say I exercised everyday this week. I won't have time to do any exercise tomorrow. My eating hasn't been great this week, but my new week starts Saturday and I will exercise that day, take off Sunday exercise and then nothing except Monday night Bible study so I will spend the week exercising and do my best to get 5 days again next week. I will work harder at staying OP too and try to get into a routine. I've been reading about how it is much better to eat breakfast and get rid of snacks which I know works so much better for me. Hopefully I will begin to have more and more energy because I don't really have a problem staying OP when I feel good.

I have probably messed up any weight loss that I have had this month so I absolutely have to get more serious in February. After some of my reading, I want to get back to my 5 hr eating window and fast 19 hrs.

DS got a call from the Nursing facility and Daddy pitched a fit tonight. Patiently waiting for things has never been his virtue and they are short handed tonight. He got furious and threw a fit because they wouldn't come and put him to bed when he was ready to go to bed. DS told them to call the doctor and see about upping his anxiety medicine. He is on a very low dose. I surely do hope he doesn't start this. He was very ugly with his friend who was teasing him. I hope they will still be friends. The nurse told DS that they are so short handed that they haven't even been able to pick up all the trays from dinner. This was around 7:30 when she called me and they usually eat around 5ish. So they are really having problems tonight. If it doesn't rain, I will go see him tomorrow.

Going to beauty shop in the morning and I'll check in tomorrow. Hope everyone has a nice evening and good nights sleep. Y'all stay warm.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:13 AM   #322  
Madeleine

Still hovering between 152 and 153. Also not moving the bowels again, so that is part of the problem. I have been eating plenty of fibre so not sure what the issue is, certainly I am well hydrated so that should not be part of the issue.
I hope the exercise today will help. I have not wanted to use the treadmill, and with the polar weather I have not gone walking. So did not win on the exercise front this week. SO fresh start today.

Trish: sorry this is happening with your Dad. He is used to good "service" but its a reason for him to work at physiotherapy and maybe be able to transfer himself to toilet and bed. Not sure if that's a possibility, but a worthy goal. Its tough on people who are dependent on others for help. You have to wait on their timeframes, even for simple things like eating and drinking, and going to bed. He is acting out his frustration.

Well, I'm off. Have a good day everyone.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:15 AM   #323  

FBG 134. No G since yesterday morning. Didn't get on the scale.

Trish I was reading back over your post about your doc appointment. I don't understand the doc saying your sodium is low. I think what you see on MFP is wrong. Low sodium could explain a lot. My BIL ended up in the hospital with seizures from low sodium. You probably don't need to watch sodium as much as you think.

When DH was in the nursing home They took a very long time to respond to the call bell. They had a sign out front saying they were hiring but it seemed the had disgruntled employees like it was not a good place to work. But the residents still have to pay for poor service. That's a shame. They told the man in DH's room not to get out of bed but they didn't come when he had to go to the bathroom so he would go himself and risk falling.

I am so glad I got Diabetes Code. It is not anything I never heard before but it is reinforcing my beliefs. While DH was in the hosp I ate very little and lost 12 lbs. My pain went away, my incontinence went away and I didn't need G. Blood sugar was very.low. Now I am getting back to eating like I did before and my pain is back and incontinence is returning and blood sugar is way up. This proves something to me. I mostly want the pain relief. I can do so much more when I don't have pain. No fooling. Its not easy. The food is there. It wasn't there when DH wasn't here. But it's obvious that the information is right. It's what I have to do.

49 days til spring.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:39 PM   #324  
Madeleine

Back from skiing, had a great time. DH is sore from the downhill, his knee is bothering him. The weather was great, bright and sunny and a bit warmer.
Trish: my preference is real salt with iodine instead of fast food with added sodium, which may not be iodized. But too low is not good. I agree that it can cause real problems.

Carol: I KNOW its not easy. I keep saying having coeliac is actually good for me, since I really CANT have bread, and pasta etc.
But you did feel better, and lost a LOT of weight quickly. DO what you can, when you can. It will come, with patience.

Today is a fasting day for me again. Also, I was able to have a BM and feeling less clogged now. Hope that will continue.

Have a nice weekend
Old 02-01-2019, 07:29 PM   #325  

Mad when I lost that weight and dropped my blood sugar I was eating carbs. I had toast with my eggs in the morning and ate the roll from DH's lunch each day along with some other things he didn't want. I only ate in the cafeteria twice. But I didn't eat the rest of the day. No dinner. It was more the long fasting period from lunch to breakfast the next day that was helpful rather than low carb. My fasting period is much shorter now.

DH and I were just discussing his time in the hospital. He doesn't remember a lot and it all runs together for him. Maybe that's best.

SIL did the driveway again today plus a guy came to the door wanting the job. That should be it for at least a week with the warm up that is coming. Wonder what the groundhog will say tomorrow. 49 days til spring.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:32 PM   #326  

FBG was 147 which seems to be more normal these days. So that is good. Weight was up another lb. I woke up and ready to go, but since I overate eating healthy fiber full snacks last night, I felt sluggish this morning until that settled. I had a good BM, but sometimes my colon goes into kind of a spasm and is uncomfortable. I don't know how much fiber I had because I really didn't know how to count it since I didn't measure. I wasn't hungry this morning so I only had 198 calories for breakfast. So I guess I didn't eat enough for going out. Cause I woke up feeling wonderful and ready to go, but my energy didn't last very long. By the time I went to the beauty shop and walked through the grocery store, I was so wiped out and my back was hurting so I didn't go see Daddy. DS had talked to him this morning and he was fine. His phone is off and I couldn't get him, but he knew I might not come if it rained and it did look like it was going to. I guess the fatigue didn't come on over night and it will take a little while to get my energy back. I check my bs every morning and he told me that he has me on Lisinopril not because I have high bp, but to prevent it. He also says he has DH and me on that particular medicine because it protects our kidneys as well as prevents strokes and heart attacks. However, I'm wondering if I need to come off it until I start feeling better. However, I did decide to take it before I left this morning where I usually take it at lunch time when I take all my meds and supplements. I'm basically doing so well, I just don't want to change anything to mess me up.

DH FBG this morning was 169. He feels stuffed and can't eat but I hope he will adjust to everything so he can stay on the medicine since it looks like it might be working. I am watching him a lot because I'm not sure I could tell if his bs was too low because he sleeps in the evening any way. I just to be sure it doesn't cause his bs to go too low.

I changed what I ate this morning and the way I eat. I had Dannon NF Greek yogurt (I use the 80 Calorie servings) and I cut up the 1/2 banana in it and added some organic Ceylon cinnamon and mixed it together and made me 1 sl Sara Lee 45 Calorie MG toast and ate that for breakfast with 1 c coffee. That was 198 calories. Like I said my FBS was 147. When I came home I felt so drained so I heated up the other c of coffee that I usually drink for breakfast. I had read on my doctor's recommendations from the RN yearly preventive plan that I needed to add more fruit and veggies to my plan. So I bought some fresh fruit this morning. So I had a snack of 10 purple grapes and 1 sl provolone cheese. I was looking for my bs to be a little high when I checked before lunch, so I was shocked that it was 99. I don't remember ever having it that low before our main meal. I knew I still wasn't feeling up to par, but I wasn't having the shakes etc that goes with the extremely low carb. Just thought I would share that it because I really thought I had blown it.

fatmad I'm glad you got to ski as I know you really enjoy it. I hope your DH knee will recover well.
We use sea salt with iodine too. But then I cook a lot with season salt so maybe I should start using a little bit of the sea salt too.

I'm going to try fasting tonight and get back to the 19:5 IF ratio. I do so much better when I do that.

Carol Sue I'm with you. We both know what works best for the two of us and it takes making it a priority. I'm sure some of the tiredness I experience is stress related too, but I also know that carrying more weight also makes me tired and sluggish and the back ache I felt today is from the weight I've gained. I am so thrilled to learn that a lot of it is that plus the medicine and not anything else.
For me, I know that eating 5 or 6 hrs and fasting after our main meal with no evening eating works best. So I am going to work at getting back to that.

I can't find my list of lower points foods that WW recommends on the old Simply Filling plan. I think I still have it on my pc so I will print it out again. I want to get back to eating a little more fruit with a light breakfast and then just have our main meal using the lower calories foods from the WW book. I don't want to do WW because I eat more fat than allowed on there, but most diet plans say eat more fruits and veggies.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:04 AM   #327  

FBG 149.

The groundhog did NOT see his shadow so it will be an early spring!!

Trish if I eat any breakfast other than eggs I have no energy and get hungry again. Eggs are the only thing that stays with me. I am almost out of eggs. We haven't been to the store for a couple days with this cold and snow. I hate to go on a Saturday but we need food. It is going up to 40 today.

I'm starting to think DH will never be the same. He is much better but still sleeps the day away. He used to go out every day to play the lottery but he doesn't anymore. I guess I should be thankful he is as good as he is.

I have a little stool that came with an exercise tape. I brought it upstairs and I am going to do step ups with my right leg to strengthen it. When I walk up stairs I can only lead with my left leg. I am left handed so my left is naturally stronger but I should be able to use both. I feel that we are going to need a stair lift soon and I don't know how well that will work in our house. We have a door at the top of the stairs and don't want to remove it. I would like to avoid that. My friend has a 3 floor townhouse but she is lucky to have no knee problems at 73. Don't you have a townhouse too Mad? Does your DH have problems with the stairs? My left knee is the one that hurts but it's my right leg that doesn't support my weight when I try to step up. Its **** to get old. I knew not to let my exercise go. Why did I?
Old 02-02-2019, 08:25 AM   #328  
Madeleine

Finally moving the bowels has moved the scale again. Below 150 again and waist is 33.5 inches. Finally back to pre-christmas points. I plan to lose another 5 and get firmly below 150 this month. Just goes to show how easily we can go off plan and have difficulty getting back to "normal".
Trish: take is slow, this energy issue will take time to resolve, but use "healthy" salt in the meantime and get back to normal slowly.
Carol: I agree, the IF is most important, I know you were eating some carbs when you were losing. Less than usual, and not much sugar though, but it was the small eating window that really did it. I feel bloated and overstuffed now if I eat more than twice in a day, and eat over an 8 hour window. I will have a brunch today about 1030, and am supposed to go to a potluck supper tonight. Not sure how that will go. I am taking a shrimp platter to ensure there is something I can eat, but I expect sugar and carbs galore. ugh. I may either fast or stick to the shrimp, we will see.

Yes, I am also in a townhouse with stairs. To my surprise it is no longer an issue. Was worse when we moved in. We did have a set of stairs in the country, we had a ranch bungalow with walkout basement, so had stairs to the basement, which had the laundry and rec room, and stair from the deck to the back yard.

DH promised when we moved here that we could put in an elevator if my knees needed it, as the 3 floors might be too much. At the old place, I could in theory avoid doing the stairs very often, but its harder to do so here. But the weight loss has helped a LOT. He may have more issues than me now. He is not admitting to it about the stairs though, was more with the skiing. He did some research, and its about $10,000 to install a one person elevator in a home. The chair lift for the stairs is also very expensive, I think my Dad's lady friend said it was $5000, though she had to get 2 because of the the turn in the stairs. Its not an option here with the turns in the stairs and fairly narrow staircases. We would lose closet space, but with just the two of us here that is doable. I know it sounds crazy expensive, but so is moving and so is living in pain and being less mobile. I have the money put away from when we moved. we put some of what we made on the house into savings for that purpose, so it could earn interest until we needed it. I assumed we would need it someday.

DD will be here for supper tomorrow, may bring a friend too. Also have a video call with older DD scheduled this afternoon. I am crazy happy about time with my kids. I cannot handle not seeing them very often.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:32 PM   #329  

Mad I would spend the money for an elevator if we were younger but not for the few years I expect to be around. We just carried groceries in. Terrible. i didnt think of that when we moved in 38 years ago. I could run up and down back then. There are few homes without stairs because of the hilly terrain here. We missed our chance with the one up the street. It was wheelchair accessible with a wheelchair accessible shower. Great!
Old 02-02-2019, 02:51 PM   #330  
Madeleine

Carol: it also sounds like downsizing to a condo or apartment would not suit the two of you either. Not sure if ramps etc would be useful. An elevator would increase the value of the home and make it more attractive to another older couple if and when either of you want to sell.

Older DD says she will come home for a while before she takes on another contract for working this summer, which sounds delightful. We had a great chat with her today.
I have been eating on plan, had a mushroom frittata and a homemade caesar salad, (as in my own dressing with no lemon juice, unlike other commercial caesar dressings) so far. Then I can stick to shrimp and veggies at supper tonight. If I eat right away at 6 I will have kept within an 8 hour window, always tricky when eating at someone else's place and on their timetable. It starts at 6 and I would want to be done at 645, so that leaves a little time before we start eating.

I think I will do OMAD tomorrow though, and then fast on Monday. Trying to fit social life in can be tricky. I have not yet really mastered the art of socializing and fasting. Even curbing my eating is difficult still. Wish me luck
Closed Thread