Old 02-11-2019, 12:31 AM   #391  

S/C/G: 221/215.4/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

DH and I have spent the whole evening watching Dr. Fung and some other drs on how to eat to lower our diabetes as well as how to eat to correct some other health problems. I absolutely understand about how sugar and simple carbs work in our bodies causing diabetes and other problems. I've learned a lot. Some are alarming concerning the side effects of some of our medicines and supplements however, I am thankful for the doctors who are willing to tell the truth and share with us what to do to rectify the problems.

I am so thankful that DH is able to understand some of the info that might be over my head because of the medical jargon and he is willing to make changes with me to improve our health. One think I am thoroughly convinced of is that simple carbs and especially sugar are the worse things we can put into our bodies.

I can see why my parents had the health problems they had/have and I can see why my Daddy will never get better because of how he eats and always did. However, I'm convinced I don't have to go down the same path they chose. It is my choice.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:20 AM   #392  

S/C/G: 217/182/175

Height: 5'3

Trish my DH will never stop eating sugar. It is unbelievable how much he eats. He doesn't think there is anything wrong with it. They grew up on it. He thinks it's ok because he's not fat. I try to be an example to him. But he will not change. He still thinks eggs are bad but will eat cookies and cake for breakfast and thinks that's better.

My eating was perfect yesterday but weight is still 182. No G all day! BS never went over 142 and was 109 this morning. I didn't sleep well so that might be why wt is still up. I feel bloated probably from the chef salad I had for dinner. When wt doesn't go down I start to think I should have had pizza!

I'm glad we went out early because it started snowing after we got home. 2-3 inches. Schools are all on 2 hour delay. Now it is warming up and will melt it I hope. I'm tired of winter.

EDIT: I am not actually hungry but I want my scrambled eggs now. It's only 9:30, really too early to start eating. I feel that if I eat this early I will be eating all day.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 02-11-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:36 AM   #393  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hi friends: I was going to go skiing with DH today, but my shoulder hurt so much when I woke up that I just didn't think I could do it. I will go for a walk later on. He left a few minutes ago. Its a 2+ hr drive each way, so I won't see him until much later today. I will be trying to schedule a chiropractor appointment and maybe some massage or something in the meantime.
I didn't fast all weekend, and DH brought home chips, so I did not stay low carb either. I haven't weighed this am.
I will fast today and check my weight tomorrow. I have not done a prolonged fast for a while, and maybe instead of alternate day fasts, which have not been working, I should do a longer fast, until Tuesday night or Wednesday. Just get off the food altogether for a bit.
I am glad you are both reading Dr. Fung and listening to him more. It really has made a big difference in my life.
I never at Keto, and while I mostly eat LCHF, I am not strict about it, and it still works as long as you do the small eating windows. Some people never fast longer than the 16-18 hr windows and it works for them. The weight loss may be slower, but over time it will work.
SO many people like this WOE because the results can be pretty quick if you pull it together and do longer fasts with the short eating windows on the days you eat. Most of us are not so patient, but there is nothing wrong with doing it slowly in a sustainable way for you. Note that even with my slips, I have not regained significant weight since Christmas, and even though I haven't lost more, I am doing fine.
It does work, and works well for me, but that doesn't mean its easy. For me it is easier than any "diet" I have been on, but its still difficult to stick to. I still am not able to be around a social meal and just sip water or tea and not eat. SO its either skip the social time, or eat friendly foods. Yesterday I had a quiche that had a sweet potato crust, with a salad with olive oil on it. Then had ham and cheese (the ham was the "bread" of the sandwich) along with more veggies for supper, but I wrecked that with the chips.

Keep reading and listening. Make changes that seem reasonable and sustainable for you, but keep that eating window short, and things will happen.
Best wishes

fatmad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:39 PM   #394  

fatmad I am so sorry about your shoulder and hope you get relief soon. And thank you for our words of encouragement. I think I am addicted to watching Dr. Fung and thankfully so is DH. Dr. Berg is a keto eater, but I was so blessed to hear Dr. Fung say that the great thing about IF is that you can do it any where in the world, using any diet you want and it doesn't cost any money. In fact, he said, you will save money because you aren't eating all the time. He told about people writing him from countries that don't have access to the organic free-range foods we have here in America as well as people who cannot afford those foods. He tells them that the fasting is the answer and you could live in an oriental country where they eat rice along with IF and it still will work.

Carol Sue I am finding that by putting the butter in my coffee in the morning that I can fast longer. I could have fasted until lunch today, but we are going to see Daddy and then shopping at Sam's and HEB so I ate my LCHF breakfast around noon. The fat is supposed to eventually become my energy so it will get me through all that walking.

We watched a lot of YouTube info about statins even a retired cariologist who was destroyed by medical people who would not accept the proof he shared with them that statin medicines were dangerous medicine. I heard so much that I have decided not to take it. I haven't taken it long. I have learned that the CoQ10 protects me from strokes and heart attacks without the dangerous side effects. I have learned that statins cause joint pain that stops when you get off of it. The struggle I have with exercising my legs comes from the statin and it actually causes neuropathy in the feet and cataracs. Why on God's earth would I want to take that medicine? DH has decided to wean himself off of it.

We also learned the great healing benefits of Coconut oil. So we are going to start using it. Dr. Berg tells how to take ACV drink before each meal and lose weight, but I also saw a guy who said that just 2T of coconut oil will help you lose weight, flatten your stomach and lower cholesterol etc. I can't remember all the benefits. And they said that doctor's have been told to tell us that coconut oil is poison. WOW. Actually they say coconut oil is probably the only food that could truly be called a Superfood.

I didn't have the banana this morning. There is a man on YouTube who is diabetic and he has gotten his A1c down to 107 and he helps people by taking food eating it on an empty stomach and testing it 30 minutes, 1 hr and 2 hrs after eating to see how much it raises his blood sugar and how fast it starts coming back down. He has a lot of good recipes too on how to eat some of the foods we like only lower carb.

Guess I better get ready to go. DH is headed for the shower which means I better be ready to walk out the door in 15 minutes.

Oh, Carol Sue, go on Dr. Fungs Obesity FB page and it has an article about when to drink water and what it does. It was copied from another place so not sure if I can do that hear or not. I will try to put in my words and share it later.

BBL Y'all have a great day.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:21 PM   #395  

Trish I tried to look at the info about water but I don't understand Facebook enough to find this. It gives me senior moments!! LOL

I didn't take any G again today. My BS went up to 159 after my chili at dinner but I just checked and it has come down to 125 so far. It should be really good by bedtime as long as I behave.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:40 PM   #396  

Carol Sue I will try to share the info here from memory. The article said when you drink water is just as important as drinking the water. It said that you should drink 2 glasses of water when you get up in the morning to get your organs going. Drink 1 glass before you take a bath or shower to lower blood pressure. Drink 1 glass of water 30 minutes before you each meal to eat less. Then drink 1 glass before you go to bed to prevent a heart attack or stroke. It also said that drinking a glass of water before going to bed will keep you from having leg cramps. Also said that if you wake up with a Charlie Horse during the night, it is because your muscles are dehydrated.

My FBS was 161 and before breakfast it was down to 135 with me only drinking coffee with the butter. We didn't eat again until we got home from shopping and my bs reading was 102 before I ate. We stopped and got cheeseburger and fries (we always share a medium order of fries). We did drink a small glass of water with a Tbls of ACV hoping it will balance out the carbs. Dr. Berg and some other drs and people I saw on YouTube swear it is important to to take the ACV water if you are going to eat a high carb meal. It can't hurt.

I also had my usual after dinner cup of coffee and added 1 Tbls of coconut oil. I will be using the coconut oil morning and evening, but I won't go the 2 Tbs right away. I think it is best that I add it into my eating plan slower than I did years ago. I'm wondering if it caused me to have potty issues years ago because I did it so fast. So I'm going to be more careful this time. The nice thing about using this in the morning, I will be able to fast longer on the days I know I am going to be home. I can't do long fasting when I am away from home at least not yet because my bs drops quickly. It doesn't necessarily go too low, but it is enough that need to be home and sit down and drink some water relax and let it pass. So that will be good. BTW Carol Sue Coconut Oil is good for getting rid of whatever is causing psoriasis. It also gets rid of candida or whatever causes me to have those rashes I get ever once in a while.

I am looking forward to seeing how all works for me. I joined Dr. Fung's new FB group Longevity and also joined Dr. Eric Berg's FB page. I found it interesting on Dr. Berg's group someone mentioned that they lose and gain same lbs for a while and they were disappointed. This person was doing short term fasts. They were told that this is not unusual and that it sometimes can take 4 months to break the stall. So I'm thinking it might take this long to get the insulin working correctly in order to lose weight. This also tells me why it took me 6 mos on Atkins to get all my numbers corrected including A1c and weight moving down when I lived in SC.

This is a good thing for me to know.

fatmad I also heard Dr. Fung say the great thing about IF is that you can go on vacation and eat like you want and when you come home you just get back on your fast. He says he does this all the time. This is probably why you don't do any real damage when you eat off.

In fact, on the Longevity FB site, they tell you that if you are going out with people to go ahead and eat with them because there is no reason to fast when with them and have to try to explain to them what you are doing. He says on there to just let the results be the example to others and then you can share.

I've been tired since I got home and had so many groceries to put away. I'm not doing keto, but more of a moderately higher fat and moderately low carb with plenty of protein. We are keeping our fruit and will share some things we learned about the fruit too later, but now I am going to sit back and relax.

Good night.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:09 AM   #397  

Trish I have heard some of those things about water. Back when I was still working and gave up coffee I used to drink a bottle of water (2 cups) while getting ready for work then another one during the first 2 hour shift of work. Then I sipped the rest of the day. I got away from that at home. I started drinking sugar free PowerAde Zero for leg cramps. I drink about 3/4 cup at bedtime but not every night. Once I woke up with a cramp and came out and drank some and the cramps went away. It contains electrolytes.

I won't get on the scale until I go to the bathroom .Lol . I'm not hungry this AM .Probably because my BS is up a bit.

Something weird happened. After dinner my BS went down to 125. I did not bear or drink anything but at bedtime it was 172. I will not take G at bedtime. This am It was 135. I have never had a spike before when I didn't eat. Its as if my body thought it was starving and dumped glucose. I will be aware of that in the future.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:20 PM   #398  

Carol Sue I think I remember fatmad saying that Dr. Fung says that spike when you aren't eating is a good thing because the liver is dumping some of the insulin it has been holding on too. I might be saying that incorrectly, but remember that it has to dump that to get rid of the fatty liver and start burning the stored fat. So I wouldn't take the G at night either because I think the reason Dr. Fung likes for this to happen without the meds because if you take the meds it makes your pancreas dump more insulin into your blood stream that the liver just got rid off and you are in a vicious struggle. This is how I understand this theory of Dr. Fung's and I hope if I am wrong that fatmad will correct me since she has the medical background to understand it better than me.

I am now on Dr. Berg's and both of Dr. Fung's FB groups. I am learning so much. In fact, Carol Sue. I saw someone say that they are experiencing gout on their keto diet and asked what to do about it. There are one of 2 things you can do sip on lemon water during the day or rub lemon oil on the spot where you experience the gout. I do like lemon water so will probably start using that first and then if I need to I will get some lemon oil to apply to my big toes. I've never figured out if it the shoes I wear or the kale and spinach. I don't think I get it when I eat kale as a salad, but only when I eat it cooked. I know I quit eating spinach which I always loved because I have it really bad when I would eat it.

I found the print out on the water and noticed that drinking it 30 minutes before meals is to help with digestion. Dr. Berg says to make an ACV drink that you take 30 minutes before a meal for digestion and you make it with 2 tsp ACV and I don't remember how much lemon and a little organic cranberry juice that is pure cranberry nothing added and drink. The lemon juice is optional and I'm thinking that if I drank that before I eat a meal with kale that just maybe it would off set the toe pain. I just might try that and see.

I am so excited about the things I am learning. Dr. Berg has a YouTube talk on the truth about vitamin supplements we watched last night. I think most of our supplements DH and I will ditch. I've heard it before that they are synthetic. Ascorbic Vitamin C has no C in it at all. They mix it with cornstarch and another acid that becomes ascorbic acid which is not good for us at all. I need to start taking a tablet and writing down why these products are bad for us. Honestly, there are foods that we can eat that will help us get a lot of the vitamin and minerals that we cannot get through a supplement. I need to read more on this subject.

We spend so much time watching all these things to learn this stuff and I am enjoying the fact that DH and I are learning it together and I love how he stops and shares with me how he actually learned a lot of these things when studying to become a respiratory therapist and then how they treated preemies in Neo-natal. It makes me wonder why they didn't take that knowledge and associate it with adults etc. I also feel like I'm getting a crash course education in medical nutrition and I find it difficult to remember everything. So taking notes while hearing these things would be good for me to do.

My FBS was 139 and I think that was because I had a quick ACV drink before the CB and fries last night. However, the weight was back up to 221 this morning. I should have followed DH example of taking 1/2 the HB roll off. I will remember to do that next time, but I know from watching these 2 doctors that I am on the right track and it will all come together. I surely do wish I had my original oriental doctor who diagnosed me as diabetic the first time. He would understand everything we are doing and encourage us. I'm not really sure how this doctor will handle it. Even our SC doctor accepted a lot of this just because most of the other doctors in the clinic ate low carb/keto he thought because they could have their wine.

DH FBS today was 110. This is without taking any G. I am so proud of him.

Have codfish and a salad for lunch. Got to go drink my ACV/lemon water and drink it before I cook. I'm looking forward to see how my pre-lunch bs reading is as I have only had Coconut oil coffee this morning.

Have a great day friends.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:41 PM   #399  
Madeleine

HI friends: doing much better now. I managed to fast all day yesterday and so far today. I will be at 48 hr at 6 pm. I hope to go to tomorrow am at least. I haven't done many extended fasts, hoping this will help me turn the corner. Trish, I know they "say" just start back with fasting and IF after a holiday, but I have been struggling to do that in a way I didn't before. Several others have said the same. So I am happy with this longer fast. I hope it will also help trigger some more autophagy and help a few other things.
The shoulder got better throughout the day, and when I woke in the night to go to the bathroom, it was fine, but a few hours later it was sore when I woke in the morning. It must be the way I am sleeping. I was using a different pillow because my CPAP pillow (a memory foam pillow with a special design) seemed to be making me sore. Last night I switched back to the CPAP pillow, so it was better, but not quite right. My massage is in an hour and I see the chiropractor tomorrow am. Hope that will make things all right.
I will get out some of Mums coins tonight, There are coin dealers coming to town, and I want to see what prices they will offer for some of them. I am in charge of selling them so it would be good to get that taken care of. Her older ones are silver dimes, they are not in good shape, but she had them pressed into "coin keepers" and I suspect these cardboard keepers are as valuable as the coins, which are not worth more than the silver in them I think.
that will keep me busy tonight. Its very stormy here now.
have a good evening
Old 02-12-2019, 06:13 PM   #400  

I finally weighed today and am down a lb to 181. Today is an eating day. I stayed ws ithin a 7 hour window but ate more and more carbs. DH made waffles and I had 2 with my eggs instead Of the. toast. That spiked my BS so I took G. Then we went to Wal-Mart. The walking combined with the G gave .e terrible shakes so I had a snack size Milky Way. When I got home ii started dinner. We had hamburgers and potato salad. So my eating is done for the day. Still a bit of a fast but higher carb. That fits into my plan not to eat the same every day. I don't want my body to get used to the same routine.

Mad DH gets shoulder pain at night too.

Trish the tart cherry that I take is supposed to work for gout. I don't think I have high uric acid.

Editing to add, here's a trick for when you want to eat the bun with your burger. Pull out some of the inside of both the top and bottom of the bun. That way you still have the top and bottom to help hold your burger, but you get a little less of the bread, therefore less carbs and calories. I know, I know, calories don't count!!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 02-12-2019 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:41 PM   #401  

fatmad Dr. Fung says that it isn't easy to go off and get right back to IF. I get the feeling that he has gotten used to it. I'm not sure. Do you do the coffee with fat? I wonder if that would help? I have been using it the past 2 days and I have to say that it doesn't matter if I'm using the butter or the coconut oil, I absolutely love it to the point that I could drink it all day. I think I'm addicted to it. Funny thing is that I made DH a cup of coconut oil coffee tonight and he said that he could drink another one. We love it.

I did a OMAD today because of the coconut coffee and my bs reading before my meal was 111. DH and I both are thrilled with our results.

Listening to Dr. Berg today on how your nails can show you where you have problems. Although my blood work always shows that my thyroid is okay, my nails show that it is not. I knew that it couldn't be working great so hopefully the way we are eating now will help.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:25 AM   #402  
Madeleine

I ate a small supper last night, cut up veggie and dip, and some shrimp in melt butter. I got full pretty quickly after over 48 hours of fasting. This am weight is 150.6
Today will be an eating day and maybe fasting again either Thursday or Friday. I DO want to get into the 140s and get out of the overweight category.
Its time, now that the days are a little longer. DH is planning a ski day again next week. Chiropractor this morning, shoulder was pretty good on rising, but I can feel muscles tensing a bit. Going to put on some heat before seeing the chiropractor.

Trish, I'm not a coffee drinker, so bullet-proof coffee (BPC) is not for me, but I do put heavy cream in my tea now. After supper, when I have decaf tea with chai, its like a little dessert. I stayed low carb with my eating last night, had to work to get fat in but that was fine. I will likely eat a brunch and an early supper, will see what DH wants, and go for groceries after brunch. That way I am not hungry while at the grocery store.

Sticking to the low carb is as hard as sticking to fasting these days, so yesterday was a major victory, and the encouraging results will only help.

Have a good day friends.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:26 AM   #403  

During the night BS was 105, at 8AM wake up it was 143. Not bad for DP but could stand improvement. I think when DH was in the hospital I was taking very small doses of G when BS spiked so I might go back to that instead of stopping it altogether. When people are on insulin it is recommended that the gradually reduce their dosage so I will do the same. I want to reach the point of no pain that I reached then so I feel I must do it the same way.

DH bought some bacon and when he cooks it, he cooks too much, so I did eat 2 pieces with my scrambled eggs. It was OK. I have to be in the mood for it and it's not something I would want every day. For some reason he always over cooks. The main problem is when he cooks potatoes. He loves them so he cooks way more than needed. And he wonders why we are always running out of potatoes. When he came home from the hospital and was doing all the cooking I always made exactly what I thought he would eat and that was fine. When he was growing up, his father always said if there were not leftovers then someone might still be hungry so his mother always overcooked. That's probably where he got it. When I was growing up there was never enough $$$ for food so there were never leftovers.

Trish, how do you make your BPC? It gives me the creeps just to think about it, LOL, but I might try it. Do you mix it in a blender? That's what a lot of people do on the low carb forum. The thing is, I do not WANT to skip breakfast, even if I eat it later in the morning.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:18 AM   #404  
Madeleine

Carol: I usually cook up a lot of bacon at one time (1/2 package) because its messy and takes a while, because I cook it slow and low to make it crispy. I keep the leftovers in a baggie and use it on my home made caesar salad. So if there is some left just toss it in the fridge. Eggs are a different matter, and don't usually reheat so well, IMHO.
I too avoid left overs, but I am still adjusting my cooking. I find when I am fasting properly, I have a smaller appetite when I do eat. But I am cooking the same as always, so maybe too much food. Also, my eyes are bigger than my belly, I WANT a lot of everything, but it doesn't all make it inside me. I will learn eventually. Just in time for a kid to move home I bet, LOL.
when it comes to having more than we eat, If its something that does leftovers well, that's fine, but sometimes doesn't work. DH is not always great about using up leftovers, and if I am not eating every day its harder. When I do eat, I enjoy cooking etc so I'm not always on the leftovers either. They are handy if I'm in a hurry, but otherwise I am finding it hard to use up leftovers. Don't know why. Maybe because if I fast again, I have to resist the call to eat it and then can't get back to thinking of it positively.
Back is a bit better now, will continue to work it today and tomorrow.
Still snow and ice here, and more snow coming. You got the same storm but earlier I think Carol, stay warm
Hope everyone has a good day,
Old 02-13-2019, 02:03 PM   #405  

You girls make me almost feel guilty because even though it was cold 44 degrees this morning, the sun is shining and it is a beautiful day here. However, I and most of us here in Central TX would have loved having some snow stick on the ground for a while. It will warm up to 61 later today. Y'all stay warm.

Carol Sue I take my regular cup of coffee with Stevia or Splenda and add either full fat 1/2 and 1/2 or SF French Vanilla and ad 2 Tbls of coconut oil and mix it in my little Magic Bullet. You could mix it in the blender if you don't have the bullet. In fact, I have done that when I used it years ago in SC. I love it so much that I am becoming addicted to it. I remember my cousin putting on FB that she buys an organic Irish butter and puts it in her coffee and could drink it all the time. I thought it was to expensive, but I just might splurge and get some for a treat once in a while. And it doesn't raise my bs at this time. In fact, I've noticed on days that I drink it and the eat breakfast a few hrs later when I checked it just be I ate that my bs is lower than my fasting. So until it causes a problem, I will keep doing it this way. I also drink my ACV water with Stevia first thing in the morning before I have the BPC.

fatmad I heard somebody say on YouTube that if you don't like coffee that you could put the coconut oil in your tea. I don't know if you would want to do that but I did see that some people are doing that. I just prefer the coffee and love it almost addicted to it and obviously DH does too. He had me teach him how to make it before I went to bed last night.

Well, this is all working. I could have had a snack last night but drinking the coconut oil coffee worked great as an appetite depressant. I heard Dr. Northrup say you really should fast for 12 hrs before blood work. Since my appointment was 9:40 this morning, I didn't want to eat or drink anything after 9 so a little bit before 9 pm, I drink my BPC. My FBS before I left the house was 143, but when I got home from having blood work done I checked it again before I drank my ACV water and BPC and it was 132. My weight this morning was 215.8. Remember yesterday it was 221. I am absolutely thrilled at the results and yesterday was my 1st whole day on the BPC made with coconut oil.

Another thing I'm doing is that besides having the ACV cocktail as I call it before I eat, I also made a big salad with lots of veggies including beets and broke my codfish fillet into it and used ACV and EVOO on the salad. I have some Whole Grain crackers that DH bought one time when we were at Sam's. So I measured out a serving of those to eat with it since I love crackers with my salad. I had planned to eat my 1/2 apple as a dessert, but the ACV drinks and the BPC satiates me so much I didn't have room for it. DH was the same way.

The BPC isn't causing me any bowel issues, but it sure is keeping me regular. So it definitely takes care of constipation.

Oh yes fatmad, I saw someone, maybe in Dr. Berg's book say that you can make that 1 minute bread/muffin with chia seeds, flax seed (which we know about) or almond or coconut flour. I haven't found the recipe yet, but have you heard of it. Whoever it was said it makes good hamburger buns etc.

I'm making our homemade pizza today with the whole wheat pizza dough. I would have gotten the whole grain dough, but DH being new and more alert to reading the labels noticed that the carbs were higher in it than the whole wheat. We will drink our ACV drinks and eat a nice salad with it to buffer the carbs in it.

All of you up north in the cold stuff stay safe and warm.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 02-13-2019 at 02:06 PM.