Old 01-09-2019, 07:44 PM   #211  

S/C/G: 217/182/175

Height: 5'3

Mad I don't consider veggie carbs to be real carbs. Dr Fuhrman says that the fiber and phytonutrients outweigh the carb count. My blood sugar does not go up eating veggies. I use blood sugar as a guide. But I would not go completely plant based.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:46 AM   #212  

FBG 153. Still poor eating. No scale yet today.

Its freezing cold out. We got some snow but just a dusting so far. No one is scheduled to come until next week. I think I have everything we need from the store. No snow forecast for tomorrow so I have to go to the store for some prescriptions. Hope it warms up a bit. I have to go to Target for one of the scripts. That's one place I haven't driven yet. I will need Metformin from Wal-Mart soon too. I dread going there because I will have to park so far from the store. Its always crowded unless I go early. I will have to find out what time the pharmacy opens. It will be so nice when DH can drive again. It might be a while before he can walk around s store. Maybe he can drive one of those motorized carts but there is still walking into the store. We will work it out.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:32 PM   #213  

S/C/G: 221/215.4/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

I will only use the Tart Cherry pills as needed, not every night. I had the hardest time waking up this morning and just so groggy. I don't like that feeling. I realized this is how DH sleeping pills affect him and no wonder he never wants to do anything but sit around doing nothing. Besides the cherry pills, I had a eat everything in the house last night and probably was just as drugged from all the carbs/sodium as I am from the pills. Scales and FBS reflects my binge as well. So I'm not a happy camper today. Very upset with myself.

I do notice that when I try to eat low carb, I do that so I will not be trying low carb again. I do better eating the way I have been eating lately. It works so I won't be trying anything else from now own. Calories counting and exercise seems to be what works for me.

Tomorrow will be an earlier day for me as I go get baby sister and take her to the beauty shop and out to see Daddy with me. So I will have to try to work this crap out of my system as all I want to do today is sleep.

Carol Sue It is cloudy and cold here (for TX) and tomorrow it is supposed to rain. I hate having to go see Daddy when it rains so I hope it will either rain early tonight and be over by the time we go to rest home or wait until after we leave there. I let my BS out at the door, but I end up walking in water to go in. Also I don't want to get my hair wet as I plan to go Sunday to visit that church I've been watching on tv. DH has a prescription ready at Walmart and I want to go get it after church Sunday although I think it would be a good time to go see Daddy after church since I'm going to have that Bible study group Monday evenings for the next 6 weeks. It will be too hard to go see Daddy on Monday's and then make the meeting because many times we go to the store when we go see him and don't get home till 6 to eat and that meeting is going to start at 6. Any way we will figure it out.

Hope everybody has a good day today.

pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:49 PM   #214  

Trish, the Tart Cherry Extract does not make me groggy at all even though it is a high dose. I just notice that I fall asleep faster and seem to feel that I am in a deeper sleep. Last night I went to bed around 8:30 and didn't get up until 8 AM, but I was not asleep the whole time. I wake up when DH comes to be, which was 11:30 last night and I wake up every time he wakes up. He wakes up a lot because he sleeps a lot during the day. I hate to wake him up when he does that but I think he would sleep better at night if he didn't nap, and I would too, but I just go along with what he wants because he doesn't listen to me.

I made some home made Hamburger Helper that DH likes for dinner, but afterwards I cooked a bunch of veggies for myself. I don't get enough veggies when I eat like him. He mostly likes corn and peas. I cooked some carrots, brussels sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower with butter and salt.

I was able to stay in the house today except to walk out to get the mail. I walked out there in the freezing cold for junk mail!! Tomorrow I will do my errands because there isn't supposed to be any snow, but more is coming Sat and Sun. They said we will only get a little bit and the rest will go south to WV and VA, but who knows which way the wind will blow.

Trish, you eat the way that works for you. That's all each of us can do. I got on the scale and I am up another lb to 183 BUT that was after breakfast and a few cups of coffee, so I consider that I stayed the same. It will come off when it's darn good and ready.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:39 PM   #215  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

was 151 today. Had butternut squash soup for lunch, so maybe a bit carb-ish so having shiitake noodles for supper with spaghetti sauce, and cut up ham and cheese in it. using up some leftovers to add the protein. One bowl seems fairly filling.
I am in a bit of a bad mood after meetings today, but its easing off now. I told DH not to let me be snappish with him, so he complimented me instead and gave me a hug, so that probably helped a lot. I go off call in a couple of hours, so I may take something to help me sleep, like a benedryl, although I slept well last night, so maybe won't need anything. I do think I accidentally had caffeinated tea on Tuesday evening, so that set off the whole problem.
My car is getting a new engine. This model had a recall about burning oil and there is an engine problem. because of my high mileage for work, I am not covered under the recall, so the fix at the dealership, that sort of replaces 1/2 of it (called the short block) will be about $5000 with parts and labour. I don't do anything without checking with my trusted mechanic whom I have been with for 25 years. He was able to find a newer engine with only 40000 km on it, (I currently am at 265000) that will work. With parts and labour its only $4000, and that will be the whole engine done. With the body work recently done that gave me a new paint job, the car will be in great shape to get me to retirement in 3 years. I will have it detailed after the engine work so the interior will feel "new" as well. Most of the repairs are tax deductible, so it won't hurt as much as it sounds. But still cheaper than trashing the car in a couple of years.

I hope we all sleep well and have a good night.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:17 AM   #216  
Madeleine

This morning 150. Always so interesting to weigh less after a day of eating. And I didn't stay low carb yesterday either with that yummy soup.
Today is also an eating day, I have a lunch and a supper out. I will stick with salad for lunch today, maybe take my own dressing with me just in case. If there are boiled eggs or some meat to top it with, all the better. I have this lunch meeting to iron out the prospects of a future job.
Right now I sit on a board of directors and am the co-chair, with the idea that I eventually become the chair, likely in 2021. That would have me at 59 1/2 years old. I may chair for about 5 years, retiring near 65. It pays 1/4 of my full time earnings. (I have recently gone to 3/4, and plan to reduce work load to 1/2 before I would take over as chair) If I still wanted to do clinical work, it would likely just be occasional stuff, what we call "locum" work, replacing someone for a month or so when they are ill or on holiday etc. I am hoping to change some parameters to give me some job security to take this on. Presuming I am elected again this spring, I don't want to face election while I am the chair. This would be a change, but one that I need to go out on this limb. Kind of exciting but scary. I have told my work colleagues that my tentative retirement date is then. Just over 2 years away. wow
I like this plan because it does give the possibility of occasional clinical work. The thought of retiring and NEVER helping another woman have a baby would be a little much yet, I still love my job, even if it doesn't love me.

SO today is January 11, its taken about 10 days to undo the gains from the holidays, so about 10 days of not eating right and the same to rid myself of those gains. I may hold here a bit before I work for the next loss, although actually getting under 150 into the high 140s would be really nice. at 140 I would no longer have an overweight BMI. Cool. It does seem doable, but I am not ready to set the goal or think of a timeline for that.
I remember reading the Penn Gillette book about his weight loss journey, and one of the theories advanced by his diet guru, was that losing weight through the winter was easier, with hibernation theory. That we put on fat for the winter, and our body is prepared to lose it. He thought getting cold and sleeping cold would help. DH is letting the heat go low enough at night now that I am actually using a blanket every night. Perhaps that IS helping, not hurting anyhow. Hmm, Now I have to go look up whether he has managed to keep his weight off. Hope so.

Best wishes for a happy and healthy Friday friends.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:00 AM   #217  

Mad, I hope your car does well for you after the repair. What kind of car is it and how old is it? We bought a used car with 240K miles on it and it ran great. DH said it depends on a lot of different factors. We didn't pay much for it and it was just to run around locally, but we traded it in when it needed tires and a new exhaust since those were 2 pretty expensive purchases and the car really wasn't worth it to us. I really love the one I have now. Only 60K miles on it.

I need to go to the store today and DH wants to go with me. This scares me. I hope he does OK. He has to do it sooner or later. He also wants to get something to eat at McDonald's. Yikes!
Old 01-11-2019, 03:51 PM   #218  
Madeleine

Carol: its a Subaru Forester: this is a known problem with the vehicle from 2014. I had a recall notice, but I drive too many km in a year, so I was not eligible for free or reduced fee service. Also, what the dealership offered was not as good, and would cost more. LOL, my mechanic sent me photos of the "transplant" and the "transplant team" . This is fun for them too, its not too often they get to do this. But with the new paint and body work after my accident and a practically new engine, I should have many happy years with this vehicle. Feels good to have a trusted mechanic who knows (and apparently enjoys) the job. A very savvy yet honest businessman. Who could ask for more?
Old 01-11-2019, 05:34 PM   #219  

Oh, I like that vehicle, Mad. Known to be very reliable and runs forever. Good choice.

Made the trip to the store with DH. It went well, except for his back-seat driving. He promised not to, but it seems to be in his blood. We went to the grocery store, Target, Aldi's, the bank and McDonald's. DH stayed in the car but was still tired when it was all over and took a nap when we got home. If I went alone, I planned on going to Walmart, too, but I got everything we need so it's all good.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:55 PM   #220  
Madeleine

Since I started working with my practice, I have had small SUV's to get me through the snow etc. I liked the RAV4 the best, the Honda Element was too plastic and loud. This car is as reliable, but has been more expensive for maintenance. As you can tell, I am not brand fixated. Before, I traded in about 5 years into it and got another new one. So getting the new engine and keeping this one going for 3 more years is a new thing for me. I will have to buy another new(wish) car in a few years eventually, but for now, we will stretch this one out.

Glad you had a good day out Carol. That many errands always makes me tired too. I have to remember to order that Tart Cherry extract.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:58 PM   #221  

My sisters and I had a lot of fun at the beauty shop. I think I've shared that we have known our beautician for years and her mother and I were good friends as we went to church together for years until I married DH and moved to FL. BS and I also had a good visit with Daddy. He has a hoarse voice and sniffles. We asked the NA about it and asked her to have them keep an eye on him. She told him that he needs to tell her when he feels bad and he told her that he would tell her as they take him out on a gurney. BS and I don't like that and told him, but he does it any way.

His friend across the hall is back but he was only up for a little bit yesterday visiting with Daddy and then went back to bed. Come to find out he had pneumonia. I hope he is over it.

My weight probably was back down today, but I got up so early that it was only down .4 lb however FBS was back down to 153. I hope the weight is back down a little so that I have a little bit of a loss this week... tomorrow is my WI day.

Eating has been good so far today. We were late leaving Daddy's and I thought about stopping for McDonald's cheeseburgers, but decided to come home and make homemade ones because I don't want a sodium weight gain in the morning and the homemade ones are made on the Sara Lee MG bread which is a lot less calories. I buy store frozen fries and cook them at home, but decided today to start buying a few potatoes and start making them from scratch so I can save on the calories and the sodium.

Carol Sue I'm glad your time out turned out well. We have to hit Walmart sometime this weekend. I want to go to church and plan to start going to see Daddy after church, but I also need to go to Sam's for tomatoes. I hate it when we have to go to 2 stores after we leave Daddy's because he leave south west of us and the stores or north east of us, but DH meds have to be picked up before Monday. Oh well, that is life and you do what you have to do.

fatmad Sounds like a great deal on your car. It will be almost like having a new car. Planning for your partial retirement is a very good wise move. It is great that you can do that.

Y'all have a good evening and I'll catch y'all tomorrow.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:52 PM   #222  

The past few days I have felt like I'm getting a UTI. I haven't had one in years and years. The only thing I have done differently is the Tart Cherry Extract, so I googled, and what do you know? It can cause Irritable Bladder Syndrome. So I guess I have to cut back on it and it seems the only way to do that is to mix it in water. I'm disappointed, but I should have stuck with the 1200mg since it was helping and not bought the 3000mg. It's just too much for me I guess. I won't waste it though. I will skip it for a few days to make sure that feeling goes away, and if it does, I will mix it in water and use half at a time. The Sleepytime tea had me falling asleep in my recliner last night so that should work for sleep in the meantime.

Mad. we are not necessarily brand fixated, but since DH likes to work on our cars himself, he knows GM best of all, and says they are easy to work on and the parts are inexpensive compared to many others, so right now both of our cars are Chevys. I have a 2016 Trax that we bought used, and DH has a 2015 Impala that we bought new. We drive the Trax most of the time. In my lifetime, I have had many different vehicles. I change cars like I change my socks. LOL I'm really hoping that in our 70s, these are our last vehicles. They are both in good condition so far.

Trish, I always say that the only time my DH sees a doctor is when he's carried into the ER on a stretcher, so his thinking is much like your Dad's. After the ordeal he had this time I really doubt if he will even agree to go to the ER ever again.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:16 AM   #223  
Madeleine

Funny Carol but next to the tart cherry juice is the cranberry supplement in all the stores here, which of course is one of the natural treatments for UTI. Hope its just a bit of irritation and not an infection. Perhaps there other thing has been that if you are sleeping longer, you are not emptying the bladder as often and that's leading to an issue, or if you have some retention that can do it too. Hope you find a way to improve things.
I woke up this morning with some cellulitis. Have this many times before. The skin and tissues around my ears gets irritated, usually by my CPAP head set, and it HURTS. Quite painful. I am going to put warm tea bags on it now that my tea is made. Something in the tannins seems to draw it. I have not needed antibiotics for this usually, but no I can't lay on that side and my ear hurst. But both inner ears are also a little sore. Wondering if I may be coming down with a cold or something.
I didn't weight today, I had a glass of wine with our supper out last night, and that always bounces me up a few pounds overnight, it will be gone tomorrow.
I also "forgot" I was fasting, or that I don't eat in the mornings or something and ate several tomato and a "bar" of stuff. (I bought these good fat bars, and planned to try one) and it all just went mindlessly into my mouth. SO I must be feeling off, thats not like me. My body must have said, "I don't feel well, I'm not going to fast today so there".
That's fine too, I will deal. At least the bar is Keto .
I have an all day meeting/training session for my new board today. I hope the facilitator is engaging or I will be sleepy through it all. Woke up at 5 with this pain.
I guess the pain may keep me awake. The tylenol is not touching the pain.
Hope your Saturday is good.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:55 AM   #224  

Mad my symptoms are slight. I wasn't even sure what it was. I started drinking cranberry juice right away and it would subside but start up again after taking the Tart Cherry again. I still get up during the night for the bathroom.

I hope your pain is gone soon. Tylenol didn't help my leg pain yesterday either. It seems to be worse when I sit in my computer chair. Now that DH is so improved I need to get back to my exercise again.

Stores are going to be jammed this AM. We are predicted to get our first measurable snow storm this evening. 1-4 inches with more to the south. I have all we will need for a few days.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-12-2019 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:09 PM   #225  

I was so tired yesterday for some reason and last night I ate. I tried not to because I knew I was going to have to weigh today for weekly WI. I did eat healthy not junk but I was way out of eating window when it hit me. I should just go to bed when I get like that, but I didn't so I have to live with it. Amazingly my FBS was back down to 143 in spite of my ploy but my weight for this week is up 1.2 lbs. However, 215.4 is so much better than the 218 to 221 that I was weighing during the holidays so I am not out of sorts too much about it, but I will have to watch it from now on. I feel like I'm still fighting the reaction to the Tart Cherry. I just can't take it and won't be. I just want to sleep all day.

I am so proud of DH. He has started going to the mail box to get the mail. He has to go over around the block a ways. He says there is a short cut he can take for now, but he runs kind of a trot as it isn't fast enough to be a jog he said, but it is a start. He said he has also started some running in place throughout the day as well. His FBS is slowly coming back down.

Not much going on here today. We are supposed to have a few nice days so it will be nice day tomorrow for going to church and then going to see Daddy and do our running afterwards. Although I did get my Tai Chi dvd out to start doing that today.

Mad I hope you get to feeling better and aren't getting sick. I hope the meeting goes well too. The Keto bar probably was a good substitute since your body was rejecting the fast today.

Carol Sue Sounds like things just might be getting back to normal for you soon. Hope you aren't getting a UTI.

I'm going to shoot for just a 2MAD today.

Y'all have a good Saturday.