Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 10:53 AM   #361  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

I decided that there had to be someone who has T2 Diabetes that is not over weight. I found a Naturepath (may have speling and type medical doctor named Dr. Richard Maure.. He had T2 diabetes and was under weight. He has a book out named The Blood Code: Unlock the secrets of your metabolism. He says that while it is true that most of the T2 diabetes population in US is overweight,, that 39% of them are lean. He says there are more T2 diabetics who don't even know they are diabetics, but the are actually Insulin Resistant. I printed the article and gave it to DH to read along with another article I found on line and then I bought the book.

DH has an appointment with the doctor this morning. s I don't have time to share much right now. I now understand that we both are IR and the book tells how to check all this as well as how to treat it. DH does not want to start any more shots or insulin at this time. He now knows that his sedentary life has caused this and according to this doctor all you have to do is lower your carb intake (no surprise there) and exercise. You have to have cardio exercise and be more active. Like DH says, he doesn't want to do it (body doesn't) but he knows he has to do it or go on insulin.

I am going to enjoy reading this book because he also seems to agree with Dr. Fung from what I have read that this can be reversed but it has to be done with diet, exercise and changing your lifestyle. He says 3 meals a day with no snacks and shows the ratio of carbs for each meal. He also recommends replacing much of your carbs with more fat. Does not recommend using any low or non fat dairy etc. Eat a lot of veggies. In fact he recommends breakfast of a protein with 1 veggie cooked in butter and 2 meals of protein and 2 veggies. That is as far as I got in the book. Also exercise needs to be done on an empty stomach.

FBG was 154 this morning. BP was up to 139/65 this morning. So I guess that is good. I'm not sure if I should add the statin or BP. Maybe if I get pretty much on this plan and add in more exercise and get the weight moving I won't have to worry about it. I may add them back in since I'm not sure it will be a problem if the IR is caused from the carbs and the lack of exercise. It might be a protection that won't hurt me until I get some of the weight off.

Better get going as I only have an hour before we leave. I will read more on this plan and will start working on dietary changes as I learn more. I understand that I do need to make myself do 30 minutes minimum on that bike since it seems that 30 minutes a day is the minimum cardio that is needed whether it is 6 days or 3.

BBL

Old 02-06-2019, 02:42 PM   #362  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

trish: this is exactly why my DH is on IF with me now. He has no weight problem, but has been building up visceral fat. I think we will both go for a dexascan for body fat, that can measure our visceral fat. He has lost weight more easily, because he does not yet have insulin resistance.
Someone like me who was thin, but had severe issues with hypoglycaemia, was always at risk for IR and T2. While I stayed thin and ate my high carb high sugar junk food diet for years, (even when I started eating "whole foods" I still ate junk as well) I was building up IR, which likely finally took hold with my 2nd pregnancy.
So yes, it does happen to thin people. None of us should be eating as much sugar and as many carbs as are common.
DH has but back a bit on the bread and carbs, but I am not seeing changes in his gut yet.
Hoping for it.
Meanwhile, I am down to about 33 inches on the waist, so that is definitely going in the right direction, even if the scale doesn't always show changes.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:03 PM   #363  

fatmad Thanks for sharing that with me. Knowing what we've learned from Dr. Fung and what I've read so far in Dr. Maurer's book, I can see that when I was in my early teens (probably with the onset of periods) that I was experiencing hypoglycemia or IR many times, but they didn't know about all this and didn't know what was going on. They ran ever kind of test but found nothing. I was thin and basically healthy. So many things make more sense to me about how I gained and lost over the years etc. I am going to work harder at staying on IF and not necessarily low carb, but lower carb.

We went to see the doctor and he agreed that DH can spend between now and his 3 mo. appointment trying to lower his A1c by exercising. He said we don't have to rush into taking insulin yet. I was honest with him. I told him that I had decided to go on line and research because I knew that DH couldn't be the only person in the world who is thin and diabetic and that I found this doctor who had had the same problem and treats other with this problem and that he said diet and exercise is the only way to really control it. He know I read up on everything so I don't think he is surprised. I appreciate that he is a caring doctor and is willing to work with us. He had told me the other day that they think of diabetes as a progressive disease that gets worse not better so I think maybe sometimes he just goes along with me, but I even appreciate that. If he feels that way, he will learn. I can remember a doctor's visit with SC doctor when he looked at DH and said, "You are like a different man than when I first saw you". He always worked with us too. I think that is what makes them such great doctors and why I feel confident in trusting them.

We left there and went to Walmart. He didn't feel like getting out but he wanted to get some fertilizer so he went in to get his medicine and the fertilizer while I bought a few groceries. We came home and he slept for a bit before we had lunch and now he is out doing the lawn. He said he doesn't feel like doing it but it is supposed to rain and he wants to get it done. I know he like to fertilize before it rains so he may be planning to do that too. The doctor said it could take a while for the Ozempic to get out of his system so he is moving on willpower right now. I am proud of him for getting with it.

I did 20 minutes on the bike today and then walked quickly in the store because I wanted to get home since I had to go potty and I knew he didn't feel like being up much longer.

I heard from my DD this morning before we left. She was so excited that her A1c was 6 today when she went to the doctor. I am so proud of her and even more proud that she also got a patch to help her quit smoking. Just another reason I have to be successful at keeping this all under control because she looks to see how I am doing and makes her feel like she can do it too.

I've had my 2 meals today and I hope I will be able to let that be my eating today, but I bought some low carb friendly foods that I can eat as a small snack if I need it. My goal is to do more IF. I think sticking to IF and adding more exercise is the key to my being successful at losing weight and controlling bs. I did take all my meds today. If the bp keeps being low, I will email the doctor and as him to send me a prescription for half dose. These are so small, I'm not sure they can be split in two.

Y'all have a good evening.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:18 PM   #364  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, I know I asked you before but I don't remember, is this daughter your bio daughter or your step daughter. I keep getting mixed up.

I didn't do well with food today. I hope to do better tomorrow.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:23 PM   #365  

Both my daughters or step-daughters. One is DH daughter and the other is the one I raised who is the daughter of DH #2. The one I raised is the one I'm talking about. I figure I had more influence on what my kids (the step children I raised) eat and I hope that I can be a good example for them to eat healthier. I did try to feed them healthy, but of course we've learned now that what we heard was healthy wasn't always all that healthy.

Sorry you had a bad eating day. Tomorrow is another day and you can do better.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:53 PM   #366  

Trish, I am really angry with myself because I allowed DH to talk me into eating when I didn't want to and was not actually hungry. I don't know why he does that, and I don't know why I allow him to do it. I should be in charge of what I eat!

That's good that you had influence over the kids you raised, to teach them good eating habits. It's not your fault that what they thought back then was wrong.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:53 PM   #367  

Mad, you might be interested in this. I was just browsing around the internet and found this. It's about Autophagy, and if you scroll down a bit there's a paragraph that states that Metformin activates Autophagy, but there's not much detail about it.

https://idmprogram.com/autophagy-in-...r-autophagy-2/

I googled and found a few other articles about it, but there was a lot of technical jargon that was over my head. I was also reading about how Metformin protects the heart to see if it mentioned heart valve issues like I have. It didn't mention that, but it did discuss how Metformin activates Autophagy in the heart cells, I imagine just getting rid of bad ones and making room for new ones. Interesting.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:06 AM   #368  
Madeleine

Thanks for the link Carol: I will check it out. Today is a fasting day again. 152 this am. That because in spite of eating too much and too long yesterday, my bowels moved.
What a difference.
I have a bit of nausea after my meds this am. On fasting days I still have 1 metformin with the other meds in the morning, I have the cream in my tea to help with protecting my tummy but today its not enough I guess. The nausea usually passes after a while Still freezing rain here. Yesterday I didn't leave the house, DH just did snow/ice clearing duties. All the schools were closed and most people stayed home from work. I will go out later today, with DH. I have a teleconference this am for work.

I am still not exercising enough. I wonder how to encourage myself. Perhaps I should just get on the treadmill in the morning to watch the news etc
Trish and Carol: you are both much better about exercise and indoor exercise than I am. I need to learn from you as you both inspire me.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:48 AM   #369  

Mad Trish is the exercise leader here. I do exercise indoors when I do it but have not done it regularly for a long time. What works for me is to do it while I'm watching my soaps. I'm going to watch them anyway so it's better than watching sitting in my chair. Just have to push myself to get back to it.

I slept well again. I want to go get my hair cut today. Hope it isn't crowded. I go to a walk-in salon.

Wt still 182. FBG 130.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:04 PM   #370  

Isn't it interesting how there doesn't seem to be much time to do all you need or wanting to do. This has been such a busy week that I am behind on my Bible study lessons for Monday night and I want to read the rest of The Blood Code and there is just so much to do.

I am back OP. I am using MFP again mainly because I want to keep up with what is going in my mouth as much as possible. Like you Carol Sue I can't always get a perfect count on things because I don't have time to create a recipe etc. Also there are times I don't use a whole serving of something. Plus I think some of the calorie counts are put in there by some people without using the product info. So a lot of this counting is estimated any way. So it is just to keep up with things as much as possible.

fatmad I still have a long way to go to get my exercise up to where it needs to be to lower BS. I like MFP because I can keep up with my exercise. I will do it if I can track it on MFP. Also, at my age, my body functions better if I do it. Now that I have read in the importance of exercise concerning Insulin Resistance, it is even more important that I make it a habit.

My weight was 221.6 this morning which is no surprise as I just couldn't get satisfied yesterday and went over a little on my eating window to 9 hrs. Still okay but not what I set out to do. FBS was 145. So according to blood work, this isn't a bad thing.

I took my meds yesterday and I checked bp this morning and it was 112/65 and I felt fine so I think my sodium is going to be fine when I get lab work again next Wednesday.

I'm going to try to eat mostly, protein, veggies, and fruit with a small amount of fat. I agree that while I do need some fat in my diet plan, I just can't eat much of it. I guess I need to balance it more. I've discovered ricotta cheese. I used it last night by mixing some berries into it and ate it. It is a good source of protein and I get tired of Greek yogurt and don't like plain Greek yogurt at all.

Guess I better get busy here. You people up north in the cold, stay warm and safe. Hope we all have a great OP day.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:33 PM   #371  

It's 60 degrees here right now. Tomorrow mornng it will be 20. That's called "winter in PA."

I took a shower and washed my hair, and by the time I fixed it, I loved it, and didin't want it cut anymore. That happens to me all the time. I still went, but just got a trim to even up the ends.

We didn't eat before we left because I slept late. DH already told me he wants to go to Tx Roadhouse for dinner. That's good, because now I know not to eat until then. They open at 3, so we will be there when they open for a late lunch/early dinner. I don't know what I'll order. I'm not a steak eater, so it will be either chicken or pulled pork. I'll decide what I'm hungry for by then.

Trish, I love Ricotta cheese. I use it when I make lasagna, so I always buy a bigger container than I need so I can have some for a snack. I like it just as it is out of the container.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:29 PM   #372  

It is 37 degrees out side and the low tonight is supposed to be 27 with a high of 38 tomorrow and a chance of snow tomorrow afternoon that will later turn to rain. I plan to go pick up baby sister so we can go to the beauty shop, but we will come straight home to be sure to get home before the it either snows or rains. Having grown up in this town, I learned not to ever believe it is really is going to snow just because they say it will.

My eating has been very good. I did do the 30 minutes on the bike this morning and it is a good thing I ate breakfast before. I set down to do a Bible lesson and couldn't do much because my bs must have really dipped. I didn't bother to check it as I just didn't have the energy. I set down in my recliner and just relaxed and let it pass hoping my body will adjust to a lower bs. When I finally did get the energy to check it, I knew it was coming back up and the reading was 112. DH got up and his FBS was 125. We both set and slept in our recliners and when I finally got up and cooked lunch it was around 4 pm or after by the time I set down to eat. I must have done something right because I haven't been hungry since then. So I ended up with a 5 1/2 eating window for today. So I consider today a good day.

DS and I couldn't get Daddy on the phone today and I won't be going there tomorrow. DS and her daughter will go sometime this weekend because her DH has to work all weekend. His job downsized and kept him because he is qualified to do a lot of things others are not, but they put hi on a good salary, but they work him all the time now that they don't have to pay overtime. I told her to tell him to tell them she and I don't appreciate that cause we can't plan to go out together like we did before. We have been planning to go out for a steak dinner, but can't get a time to go with him working all the time. So Carol Sue, you going to TX Roadhouse sounds so good. I hope we can find a time to go pretty soon too.

I already told DH that I'm not planning to go to church Sunday. I don't think I can go on Sunday and get these Bible study lessons done before Monday. I just don't seem to be able to get very organized for all the things I want to do along with what I need to do. So I plan to come home tomorrow and hunker down until Monday. May try to go see Daddy Monday afternoon. I think it is supposed to rain almost all of next week so we need to go when the weather is good.

Catch y'all tomorrow. Good night.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:05 AM   #373  

Trish I have never had a true low except with G. Never happened naturally but then I have never exercised in a fasted state. I have heard that it is beneficial but I'm afraid to do it. I have had symptoms but when I checked it was just BS coming down quickly. I'm glad you were ok.

Its going to be cold here with some snow on Saturday but not a lot.

I got pulled pork at TX Roadhouse. Baked sweet potato and veggies. I put some pork on a bun and ate that. Two bites of potato and veggie with water. I brought the rest home. I didn't eat anything else the rest of the night. I feel a little hungry right now. That is always a good sign for me.

I slept for 6.5 hrs and will go back to bed for a while. I will check FBG and weigh when I get back up. No where to go today but DH might want fish. I do not cook fish.

I edited this via my phone but it didn't take.

I decided to stay up. Weight is still 182 and FBG was 132. After dinner last night it was 135 and at bedtime 139. I believe it went down overnight but I slept well so didn't check it. The 132 this AM was probably DP. It's all OK. Nowhere near the high numbers I used to get.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 02-08-2019 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:48 AM   #374  
Madeleine

Hi friends: did OMAD yesterday, today will be a fasting day.
153 again today.
Carol: I think its ok to exercise while fasting, but we have to be careful about it, depending on the response. Someone who frequently has issues with low blood sugars may have a rebound hypoglycaemia. We release a lot of stored glucose while exercising to feed the cells that are working. But like any high blood sugar time, we release insulin. So those who often have lows, it may be because they over-respond to high blood sugars all the time.
I have had hypoglycaemia a lot, even in childhood. DH can testify how grumpy it makes me. I have not had one when keeping to lower carb diets though, even with fairly strenuous exercise. So I think the glucose we release with exercise is likely not as high as we may have from eating high carb or high sugar meals.

Its very windy out there. I may stick to the treadmill again today.
have a good Friday friends
Old 02-08-2019, 09:24 AM   #375  

I didn't exercise on an empty stomach so I don't know why I had the low bs reaction. Maybe it was something else. The only carb I had for breakfast was 1/2 banana like I always have no toast. Maybe I did it too soon after breakfast or it was a fluke.

Not supposed to snow or rain until 2pm so I hope baby sister and I can go see Daddy for a bit before coming home. High today is to be 36 and tomorrow 38 and raining through Tuesday I don't get out too much in the rain especially to go see Daddy so we need to go see him today if we can.

FBS was 158 even though I didn't eat anything after early dinner. Did 2 meals only yesterday. Weight back down to 219.4 this morning. This is the day I have to check everything earlier so I think it is good. Might be a little better if I had done it at regular time.

Headed out. Y'all stay warm. BBL
Closed Thread