Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 05:56 PM   #376  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

DH has found Dr. Jason Fung and some others on YouTube. Quite interesting. Will see what he decides to do. Will be nice if we get on the same the way of eating.

BBL
Old 02-08-2019, 07:46 PM   #377  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish you might not have had a true hypo but the exercise might have made your BS come down fast. I think that is a sign that your glucose stores are coming down which is a good thing.

Do you think your DH might do an eating window or cut carbs? Either would probably benefit him.

I hope you have a nice visit with your dad.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:27 PM   #378  

Carol Sue I think he might do that or cut back on carbs. He is watching all these people who talk about this. In fact, as he listened to one doctor talking about how the cells fill up with insulin and can't communicate between cells and pancreas and he told me that when he worked with babies in neo-natal that when they got a baby they had to give glucose to that if for some reason the needle would slip out of the vein and they nurse didn't catch it that the glucose would go just under the babies skin that the skin in that spot would die and you couldn't do anything but treat it like a 3rd degree burn. He said he had never seen how that related to what glucose does to us. Quite interesting. I'm not saying much to him, just letting him decide for himself.

I got the names of 2 drs you might be interested in listening to on YouTube... Dr. Northrup and a Dr. Eric Berg. He explains how insulin is supposed to work and what happens when it doesn't, but he does it so simple even I could understand it better. I understand from one doctor that if isn't working correctly that it can be so bad that when you eat carbs you can't even lose weight. I can see why LCHF works, but I'm just sure I could do it, but I am seriously thinking about trying.

Didn't go to see Daddy today. Baby sister had a corn on one of her toes and could hardly walk. As we left the beauty shop, it was freezing and we had a few snowflakes so we decided to just come home. DS called us when we were driving home and said she was seeing snowflakes. I don't know if it continued where she lives but by the time we got home it had stopped. When DH walked down to get the mail, he said it was sleeting and snowing. It is supposed to rain later and get colder so I'm glad I'm home for the weekend.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:34 AM   #379  

FBG this morning was 178. Not happy. It's my own fault. Yesterday we got the fish that I absolutely love. DH suggested it and I believe he is back to sabotaging me by suggesting things that he knows are very hard for me to resist. I would have been ok if I had only eaten the fish, but I ate the roll with it. Bingo!

Today I want to go to Walmart. I want to stock up on the things we need so we don't have to go out over Sunday and Monday. We are supposed to get some snow, maybe up to 3 inches. Why go out in it if we don't have to. So staples like bread, milk, eggs, and DH is out of his cereal. I also want to look for some compression knee highs I saw there. Yesterday I wore a pair I bought new in the package at Goodwill and they helped my legs so much, but they are very hard to put over my feet. I want to look for the ones like DH had in the hospital that are footless, and just go over your leg. I don't need compression on my feet. But they made my legs feel so good, and that continued all evening after I took them off, but they are just too hard to get on and off over the feet. Once you get them over the feet they go on right up the calf.

Trish, I am still reading Dr Fung's Diabetes Code. I just read the chapter where he talks about LCHF, but he calls it Low Carb Healthy Fat, not High Fat. I reread it several times. It is a real eye-opener for me. He recommends eating healthy fat such as olive oil and butter, and fat found in avacados, egg yolks, olives, and nuts. It never said anything about eating high fat, and bacon was never mentioned. So I think that is something being touted by the Keto Community. Also, he says that unrefined carbs are ok, such as sweet potatoes. There are some countries where the consumption of sweet potatoes and yams are very high and they have very little diabetes or obesity. But, naturally, they have to be prepared without the brown sugar and marshmallows! LOL

I think if your DH can reduce his carb consumption that will greatly help him. He would't even have to do LC or Keto, but just be more careful of his carb portions and frequency. At least he had a medical background and understands what they're talking about.

I have read/heard a lot from Dr Berg and I've heard of Dr Northrup but don't recall much of what he recommends. There are so many out there who recommend LC and each seem to add their own twist to it. Everyone should be able to find one that suits their needs.

It seems my weight loss is very slow not matter if I eat carbs or not. The only time I noticed it being faster was recently when DH was in the hospital and I was eating small amounts of food in a very short eating window. So for me, the fasting window seems to do the trick. I have to admit I was VERY stressed out and that also played a big part. I want to lose, but I sure don't want the stress. That was terrible.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:01 PM   #380  

Carol Sue What helped me to understand this is the way Dr. Berg uses pictures to explain how this all works. Watching him explain what is happening and what causes IR/T2 diabetes and then listening to Dr. Fung again last night on YouTube showed me exactly why IF along with LCHF works and why it is important that you do that. BTW on one of Dr. Fung's lectures he does list bacon as being an okay food. I was so excited to see that it is okay for me to have my bacon. Also Dr. Northrup says you should fast at least 12 hrs before having lab work done. I'm glad to hear that. Also she or someone else we watched talked about the different ways of fasting and said you need at least 12 hr fasting window. So you can work out the window that works for you. I have decided to go with 10 hr window because I like waiting 5 hrs between eating. I have always felt this would work better for me. I am going to do more of a moderately LCHF. I started this morning. DH says he will do 9 hrs although I think since he isn't trying to lose weight that he could easily do 12 hrs. However 5 to 10 hr eating windows with 5 hrs between is what works best for me and I don't want anyone telling me I have to do differently as long as it works for me. Therefore I will not tell him how to do this for him. He can figure out what works best for him. I'm just thankful that now he will understand what I am doing.

It was funny when he found Dr. Fung, he said to me "You need to hear this doctor". I told him, "I have all his books". Then he would say, "You probably already know this but listen to him any way". I told him that it was always good to hear him again. I liked listening to him because he listed the foods that were okay to eat which included beef, bacon etc. As much as I like my bacon for breakfast, it was nice to see that it would not hurt me.

One thing I learned from one doctor is that when your triglycerides start rising that is a pretty good sign you are entering Insulin Resistant even if your diagnosed diabetic yet. Of course this is when they put you on statins. Interesting info there, isn't it?

My weight was back up to 221.4 which probably gave me a .2 lb weight loss for the week. FBS was 135. So that is good.

For breakfast I had 1/2 sm banana, 2 eggs, 2 sl bacon, 3/4 avocado, a pinch of Sharp cheddar cheese and coffee with SF cream. I normally would have eaten only 1/4 to 1/2 avocado, but it was going to ruin if I didn't eat it and it is good fat. I know I probably shouldn't have the SF anything, but yesterday I had it and my bs reading before late lunch was 94. This is why I like eating every 5 hrs and checking before I eat so I can see how the food I'm eating affects bs.

I will plan on the 3 meals or 2 meals and 1 snack each day and have them 5 hrs apart knowing that if I don't need the 3rd meal/snack, I don't have to eat it. That way some days my fasts will be longer than others which probably will be to my advantage too.

Since it is stressed by these doctor's that calories in/calories out isn't important, I am not going to track calories on MFP any more. I honestly believe if this works the way it is supposed to that I won't be eating a lot of calories any way.

Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:00 PM   #381  

Trish I hope this works well for you to lose weight and for your DH to improve his diabetes. LC has always worked best for me But I get off track often. I just get back on track and keep going So I am probably more moderate carb. Some low carb days interspersed with moderate days.
I think it's best when combined with IF.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:37 PM   #382  

Carol Sue I agree. I can't say I am actually LCHF. I think I am more of a moderately low carb and moderately healthy fat because I just can't do high fat. I just don't like it although I can use fat in my veggies, EVOO in my salad and avocado with my eggs. I still like my fruit so I don't really do VLC or extremely high fat. I am going to cut back on some of the grains.

DH had been eating a lot of cereal lately and I think that was raising his FBS. His FBS today was 116 so something is working for him. The main thing I want to do is get my FBS down to 100 or less if I can. I am hoping by replacing some of the grains I eat with some healthier fats will help me do that.

I finally called the health facility and asked the nurse to have someone turn Daddy's phone on for us. I talked to him and he is kind of down and lonely today. I hate that he feels that way. He feels like his life is over and had said something to DS about being ready to go. When I mentioned it to him and talked to him about it, he finally told me "Let me clarify what I mean". He said that he is ready to go but that doesn't mean he wants to go right now. I was glad to hear that as we feel selfish for wanting to keep him longer. However, I told him that we will never be ready, but that I have prayed about it because I don't think it is fair for us to want to keep him here if he is going to be miserable and not get any better. It was a good phone visit. He doesn't want any of us getting out to see him with the weather like it is. It is cold and raining, depending on who is right, this cold rain spell should be over Tuesday.

Yahoo homepage has an article about keto diets and an argument between Jillian Michaels and Al Roker. He has lost weight with keto and she thinks it is bad for you. From what we know about keto/low carb, a lot of the info against it is not really true at least not for T2 diabetics. So the medical arguments continue.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:41 PM   #383  

Trish I saw a show about Keto on The Doctors. They had Dr Fung and a cardiologist discussing it. The cardiologist was against it. I can't do keto 100% and I don't want to. I don't want to eliminate any food but just limit some to smaller amounts. But some want to do it and I feel it's their choice. Who knows really what's bad or good. Look how many times the rules have changed! I won't tell anyone not to do what they want but just tell what works for me. Heaven knows I am no authority!

I thought Al Roker did bariatric surgery.

Today in Diabetes Code I read that high fasting BS (dawn phenomenon) is your body releasing the glucose stored in your liver. If you take meds to lower it as I do you are just pushing it back into your body. The way to change that is not put it in your body in the first place. That is hard for me because I always feel that I should take the meds to lower it. I think I should give it time to come down on its own but I feel that it won't come down without the meds. I need to start trusting the system.

I think you are a very unusual case that you have such high fasting but very low during the day between meals and all with no meds to speak of. What makes all of us so different?

I have a PCP appt on the 18th but I looked at the order for bloodwork and it's scheduled for the 19th. That makes the appt a waste of time with no bloodwork to discuss. So I am going to reschedule the Dr appt. I hope my A1c came down. It was 6.7 last time.

Dr Fung also said that full fat dairy is better than low fat. I am wondering if I will be able to get DH to switch. One time he bought whole milk by mistake and he hated it. He really fought me when I made him go to skim. Now I want to switch back. Lol. I could do it gradually.

I think your Dad just means that he is ready when the time comes. I know it's hard for you to hear that.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:59 PM   #384  

Carol Sue I'm with you about keto. I can't do it because I don't want to give up my milk or fruit. I might would do better faster but I know that I need the dairy to restore my bone density because the RN told me that I do not have osteoarthritis but my bones are right in the middle before having it. I think we all have to do what our own body needs. I know a lot of IF people do keto but I also feel that the main thing I get from all the things I've seen and read lately is IF and I can do that. I do have to work at getting the exercise going. Dr. Northrup says 30 minutes at least 3 to 5 days a week. That is going to be my goal.

I am so proud of DH as bad as this weather has been he walked to the mail box yesterday in the sleet and snow. Today he rode his bike to the mail box. Not a lot of exercise, but it is a start. He says he isn't going to eat the cereal any more. The good thing about the way he eats his cauliflower is low carb friendly. So it is no problem for him.

I actually felt better after Daddy explained how he feels. I can understand his way of thinking because at my age, I know where I am going when I leave this world and I am ready, but I don't want to go yet. There are still things I want to do before then. When my Daddy leaves us, I will be happy for him because he will be with my Mama again and he will see his Mother who died when he was 6 weeks old, but I will be very sad for me and my family. Sometimes I wonder if that isn't why God does it that way. We can look forward to being with those loved ones who have left us.

I read today about the Dawn Phenomenon and it talked like our low reading is probably during the night while we sleep then it comes up when reading rises to wake us up. It said that our low is sometime between 3am and 8am. I'm not going to set my clock or get up that early to check it.

I didn't know Al Roker had bariatric surgery. Maybe he did the diet before he had it. Besides, it doesn't make sense to me that bariatric surgery would be healthy for me to do, but Intermittent Fasting which is just doing pretty much the same thing without the surgery would be dangerous. That just does not make any sense whatsoever. I wonder sometimes where peoples common sense is. I'm like you, what works for you isn't always what works for me or any one else. That is why we all have to find our own path to becoming healthy.

I have compression socks. I'm not sure about the tightness around my ankles but my feet feel so much better sense I've been using them. I would probably have a difficult time getting the leg ones to fit me so I wear the socks for a short time everyday. I don't like the way they feel around my toes and thought about ordering the toeless ones to wear around the house.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:37 PM   #385  

I just checked BS and it was only 77. Since I took G today I am afraid of a hypo during the night so I'm eating some of my left over pulled pork. The dog will get the rest. I don't understand why it went so low.

I just googled. Al Roker had weight loss surgery in 2004 or so. He probably does keto to maintain.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 02-09-2019 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:31 AM   #386  

I really wish I hadn't eaten last night but at 3am I tested at 117 and when I got up at 8 it was 132 so at least I avoided the low overnight. I don't set my clock to get up and test, but if I get up to use the bathroom I often test while I'm up. I will wait as long as I can to eat but I didn't end up with a very long fast and I didn't sleep very well with food in my stomach. I used to have glucose tablets but got rid of them because this rarely happens and I don't know why it did. I don't think I need my full dose of G anymore. That's a GOOD thing!

Edit: DH cooked breakfast at 10 AM so I had scrambled eggs and a small piece of sausage. I have found that I can eat it if I just have a small piece. I did not have any toast with it. So that was about a 12-14 hr fast which is better than none. I did not take any G even though my morning coffee usually raises my BS. I will test now at 2 hrs to see where I stand and continue testing at intervals to see how high it goes and how long it takes me to come back down. After my experience when DH was in the hospital I know for a fact that I can beat this by following the correct protocol. Even if I only fast 2 times a week I think I can allow a small amount of carbs on non-fasting days which would fit into my lifestyle better than complete LC. I will do it similar to JUDDD or 5:2. I cannot call those days feast days because to me, a feast is overeating. I will only eat normally. A feast seems to start a binge for me and will be reserved for days like Thanksgiving. My fasts will probably be about 14-16 hours. I want to see the scale start to go down again.

While reading online about Dr Fung I found Obesity Code for $5.99. I wasn't going to buy it because he said the same info is on IDM but at that price I decided to get it. The first half of Diabetes Code was boring but I can barely put it down now that I'm in the second half. I could read IDM for hours and hours. If I could only stick to the program long term and get better results!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 02-10-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:01 PM   #387  

Default Long read... lots of info

Carol Sue I am so blessed that DH is watching all these IR guys on YouTube. I have decided that I am going to get Dr. Eric Berg's new book which I can get on the kindle. He gives people a list of Insulin Index foods. So many things I have heard are coming together and showing me why I cannot lose weight. We also are watching Dr. Fung's YouTube lectures, but his takes longer to watch because his conference speeches can be over an hour.

I am drinking my coffee with a pat of butter in it. I made a cup with coconut oil but it was rancid so I threw that cup out. I have a cousin who told us on FB that she buys this special organic butter and drinks coffee with it, but I only have regular and I had looked at the organic and it is very expensive.

Drs. Fung and Berg stress the importance of not using low fat. As long as we use low fat dairy and salad dressings etc, we are making more and more insulin. And Dr. Fung has a YouTube discussion on what causes Obesity. He says the more insulin you have the more weight you gain because when you eat low fat to eat less calories etc your metabolism adjusts to that amount of calories and makes more insulin. Then you get hungry and go off the diet and you gain what weight you have lost and becomes a circle that we just go around trying to have the willpower to stay on plan. This is why calories in calories out is wrong. He said this blames the patient for gaining weight because they have no willpower, but willpower has nothing to do with it. He says the doctors keep telling us to do this and he said the patient's willpower isn't the problem. He said the doctor's are the problem because they keep telling them us we are eating too much so we go out and try to lower our calories and it doesn't work. He stresses that they have got to convince the doctor's that they are going to have to stop telling us this and show us how to do this the right way.

He explains how they knew years ago even as far back as 1870s when Banting understood that the more carbs you ate the more you raised you insulin and became obese. I will have to throw out a lot of low fat no fat products I have bought. I also will start using EVOO and ACV in my salads again.

Dr. Berg says you look for bacon with less fat and eat it very crispy, but he says not to do that because you need that fat for satiation. He also stresses the importance of eating greens and if you can't eat them to drink them. I did get some kale the other day for my salads and decided to cook it, but I don't think I can eat it cooked because I ended up with a problem with one big toe and while it doesn't swell, there is some pain so not sure if it is the way I walk or if it is something in the greens.

I am drinking the coffee with the fat because Dr. Berg says that we need to learn to eat 3 meals a day with no snacks because we need to allow time between meals for the blood sugar to go down. Allowing the bs to stay at a level isn't getting rid of the insulin that is already in our body. I can't remember the name of the term he used but he said that your metabolism gets to the place where it get comfortable at a certain weight and you can't get your weight below that, but the way that you can reset that number is by eating 2 meals a day and IF. He says he eats 3 meals a day but sometimes he has what he calls 2.5 meals a day because sometimes he isn't hungry so he eats 2 meals and a snack for his 3rd meal. He says breakfast is important but you can delay it. So Carol Sue, I think we have been on the right track, but perhaps our low fat foods or whatever are a problem.

I'm not going to throw out my 2% milk, but I will replace it with the whole milk. I can see now that by trying to eat "healthy" foods that really are not healthy that I have really messed up my metabolism. In Dr. Berg's guide, he teaches you how to fix your metabolism so this is why I will go on Amazon today and buy the book. I don't think I will follow any one but Dr. Fung and Dr. Berg for a while.

fatmad You are doing so great because you are not able to eat the carby foods which is your blessing dear friend. I don't want to become gluten sensitive, but I do want to get my health back and reverse the diabetes. I understand it is only reversed as long as this way of eating "has" to become a lifestyle or it will come back. You are a great example that what I'm hearing and reading from these 2 drs teach really does work.

Sorry this is so long, but I sure do hope it helps us along with a lot of lurkers that may feel helpless. We do have hope. I honestly feel like there really is a light at the end of this tunnel. My Daddy told me that diabetes used to be a death sentence. He knew a woman on his ice route when he was a young man who stayed in bed all the time and couldn't do anything because she had diabetes. I have a cousin who is T1 who is blind and she faithfully follows the old way of treating diabetes. Of course the woman Daddy knew was doing everything a diabetic should NOT do and I'm sure she died young. So sad.
Y'all have a blessed day.

Old 02-10-2019, 12:28 PM   #388  

I just bought 2 of Dr. Berg's books on kindle and 1 is a cookbook of recipes. I thought I would share his kale shake recipe. He doesn't give portions. Mix together frozen berries (less than a cup), kale and enough water to make everything a shake consistency (or you can add berry flavored stevia) instead of using the frozen berries. I don't think I have ever seen or heard of the berry flavored stevia.. So I'll have to check that one out. I will definitely try this which he suggests having with breakfast of eggs and sausage recipe of his.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 02-10-2019 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Edited to make corrections to the kale shake.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:46 PM   #389  

Trish, the only low fat item I buy is the milk, and I rarely drink it, but DH uses it all the time. When he had his heart attack it was such a struggle to get him to switch. I first went to 2%, then 1% and then to skim. He got used to it and the one time he bought whole milk by mistake he hated it. He thought it was spoiled until I pointed out to him what he did. So now I don't know if I will be able to get him to switch back. I could try buying 2 % and pretending I did it by mistake. Then if he's ok with it I will go from there. If that's the only low fat item I have then I think I'm doing good. I never buy low fat dressing because I don't like it, or any other low fat products. I always buy full fat yogurt and cottage cheese, and full fat cheeses. I never liked the taste of low fat.

I got busy and forgot to check my BS. I checked it at 3 hours after breakfast and it was 141. So it is up about 8-10 points. I took my Metformin but not the G and I will try not to take it anymore unless I really get a spike and just let it come down naturally. It's up to me to watch my carbs. When DH bought his junk food yesterday I'm glad he didn't buy anything I like. LOL I don't know what we will be eating for dinner. I don't feel like cooking but it's supposed to snow around 5 or so.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:46 PM   #390  

Carol Sue I suspect the low fat milk might not be a problem for you as you have gotten your weight down. We do what we have to do.

I looked at the recipes in Dr. Berg's book and I will use some of the recipes, but I am not sure but I think Dr. Fung and Dr. Berg may have both spoke at the same conference I watched on YouTube with DH, because they were teaching what causes obesity. I didn't see the Dr. Erick he spoke to so I'm guessing here. However, As Dr. Fung walked up to the podium to speak I heard him say, "Thanks Erick" and then turned to the people and said something about how he was a good doctor and he agreed with him on a lot of things although they treat it a little differently. Of course, we know that Dr. Fung mostly uses IF and I can't remember exactly how he says eat. I probably will just cut out a lot of carby foods and replace it with some good fat, but I won't go to the extent of fat that he does. I do like some of the recipes. He has a 1 minute low carb bread like we did with flaxseed, but he uses something different but I can't remember them right now. I will share that one for a change. He has another one with more carbs made with almond flour too. I might put some of these in the diabetic recipe thread as I try them.

Again I think as long as what we are doing works, that is the key. It is 2:35 here and I still haven't eaten. I had my 2 c of coffee and will eat breakfast for lunch when DH wakes up. Today will definitely be 1 meal and either a second meal later or a snack.

DH didn't take Glimperide yesterday and his FBS was 135. He is trying this for a few days to see how he does because Dr. Fung says it increases insulin. He says that Metformin stabilizes insulin and they have a new medicine that actually decreases insulin but he gave the medical name not a name that I could recognize.
Closed Thread