Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #346  
Bonettey

S/C/G: 384/375/150

Height: 5' 11"

Sarge - I know your not done updating the board but I seem to have fallen off the pledge board. I pledged 3 lbs this week.

Reso - You look great, you don't look skinny to me. I do have a personal question though. Since it is personal feel free to not answer it. I'm wondering if you even need to lose more weight. If you have some extra weight due to loose skin, then maybe your the exact right weight for you now. Have you concidered it?

Also this is what a loofah usually looks like.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:41 AM   #347  

S/C/G: 166/163.6/145

Height: 5'4"

Count me in, Sarge.

Totally new to this site, but I need accountability and motivation. This group takes the cake for that (and throws it away.)

I pledge to lose .5 lbs and work out 3 days this week.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:30 PM   #348  
One man would not fall...

S/C/G: 400/223/190

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey View Post
My BF just came home and we talked. He is the same height as you but still heavier. I showed him your pics (I hope that is ok) and he said screw the BMI. Well, actually he said the BMI is like global warming in Canada.
No i don't mind, LOL, anyone with internet can see them, doesn't bother me anymore, if someone wants to laugh at me let them, pretty much how i have trained myself to think after being 400 lbs.

Dreamer : Thanks.

ennay : I am hoping things tighten up a little more, would be nice, i am going to join a gym shortly, will be better for the frozen months ahead i think, hopefully if i tone my muscles some more it will helkp even out.

Chickadee : I'm glad you enjoyed your trip and i'm willing to bet your weight will drop a couple of pounds over the next couple of days, leaving home and travelling is stressful even if you did have a good time. As you relax back into your familiar routine i'm nearly certain of it.

Budgetbaby : A ton more energy doesn't even begin to aptly describe the difference, i don't even feel like the same person at times, i'm not kidding, i actually feel more like i am 20 - 25 again physically.

Riestrella : Ummm.... At 400 lbs i would not have even dreamt of such a thing, you don't envision something that seems utterly impossible, the only way i could progress was by taking each day on as a challenge unto itself, i envisioned a great mountain in front of me and each day was one more step i took in my long climb, i've said it before but creating a vision inside your mind can be helpful, at least to me, something intangible that can't be seen is hard to imagine or work towards especially if you have self doubt, i knew in my heart i could surely beat just one day, so as each day passed i would forget about the previous and just focus on once again the here and now of just one more day, one more time.

Cheshirecat : Thanks Cheshire, Your shirt looks so cool, almost makes me want to become a runner just to get cool stuff like that, something that has to be earned through struggle is always more treasured, congrats on your run.

peanutt : Thanks for the tip on fish oil, i will have to look into it, i remember my mom used to give us cod liver oil pills when i was little. LOL Funny your post brought up such an old memory. I'm sure you will excel come race day, you have bested every challenge since you set out on your journey, self doubt can be a powerful foe but you won't let that interfere with what you want.

Jeanettey : Thats not too personal, i'm the one who brought up loose skin, it's a fact alone, how could someone stretch there skin that far and not expect to cause harm ? There is no better way of finding solutions than pooling knowledge. I have considered what my weight might be if the skin was removed, it's hard to gauge just what it might weigh, i still think i can do a little better so that is what i will do, period, after i get to 180 or so i will have to decide if i can live with it or not, it's not debilitating just unsightly, while clothing hides such imperfections i still know it's there and it bothers me unfortunately.

Going for a long hike in the hills out at the lake today, it is supposed to be quite warm and i haven't gone since spring have a nice day everyone.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #349  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Whew. Hill repeaters on 11% grade. I think my PR for this hill is just about a minute even. Today my best one was 1:19...I know where I need to go. More than any other metric I think this tells me what I need to know about my fitness.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #350  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute View Post
No i don't mind, LOL, anyone with internet can see them, doesn't bother me anymore, if someone wants to laugh at me let them, pretty much how i have trained myself to think after being 400 lbs.
He was far from laughing believe me! More green with envy!!! He said it is very inspiring since you pretty much show him it is possible. He lost quite a bit (55 lbs) but is not in shape like you. Yet! It took me a while to convince him to lose weight with me since he didn't believe it is possible. I am so glad he tried!
Old 09-05-2011, 01:30 PM   #351  
Winner by Losing

S/C/G: 201/162/140

Height: 5'3" if I stand up really straight!

Ennay what are hill repeaters?

I'm committing to Black Ops too. I saw the shirts on e-bay and I'll be ordering one, in black.

My husband and I discussed getting a new treadmill sometime soon. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good in-home treadmill for under $2000? We're in the PNW and the winters are just too sucky for my out side hikes.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:36 PM   #352  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Sorry, I can't remember but where/how are you calorie counters logging your calories? I downloaded three iPhone apps and am trying to find out which one is the best. I tried MyNetDiary and MyFitnessPal so far. I prefer MyFitnessPal at first sight. Can't remember what the third one is called right now (haven't looked at it yet).
Do you use the communities? What made you choose what you are using?

I am thinking about slowly switching from WW to calorie counting. I feel it is more accurate and easier to log workouts. And I want to start keeping an better eye on balance of nutrition. WW has general guidelines for veggies, dairy and oil but not salt/different fats and vitamins, etc.

Any comments/suggestions?
Old 09-05-2011, 01:37 PM   #353  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Sarati - I hear ya on the crappy winter weather!! We just got this treadmill from Costco last month. It was generally reviewed well and has thus far been an excellent addition to our growing home gym. Part of the reason we chose it was because we could order from Costco and take advantage of their excellent return policy and free home delivery.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #354  
Kandie Apple Sundae

S/C/G: 225/180/150

Height: 5 foot 2

I got a nice treadmill from Sports Authority for $400. Take a gander at some of those types of stores.

Thanks everyone for the great comments. I worked hard this last week. I took a much needed day off yesterday, minus working my butt off at work. No Run last night. I pretty much went straight to bed. I have week 3 starting on C25K.

Now for a NSV!

Getting dressed for work last night and walking by the mirror I stopped and did a double take. The side area around my pudge is getting defined. I can see ABS forming! My pudge is all gross and wrinkly meaning I am losing it!

With our Challenge this week i can see muscles defining in my arms.

My new outlook on being fit and not worrying about my weight is helping my attitude a lot! I am just working on being fit and getting stronger.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #355  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Sarati...hill repeaters are when you take a short section of hill and run up it hard, walk/jog down, run up hard, walk/jog down, run up hard, walk/jog down.

...warning eye glazing detail to follow....

Depending on what your goals are you should pick a section that you can run in 30seconds to 1 minute to start. My hill is a little long and steep but it is the one I have always used, plus I tend to train for marathons including one very hilly one.

Hill repeaters have some advantages over regular high intensity intervals. You cant overstride when running up a hill so for most people you can get the aerobic benefit without messing up your stride. In my case since I tend to hamstring problems, I also get less injury risk.

Hills are also the runner's weight lifting. You work quads, glutes and calves. I did an experiment once where I did no lower body work in the gym for 2 months but ran more rolling hills than usual and ran hill repeaters once a week. At the end of the 2 months I had increased my squat max rep weight and increased my squat working weight reps.

My butt will be VERY sore tomorrow since I havent run hills in a long time.

Last edited by ennay; 09-05-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:48 PM   #356  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey View Post
Sorry, I can't remember but where/how are you calorie counters logging your calories? I downloaded three iPhone apps and am trying to find out which one is the best. I tried MyNetDiary and MyFitnessPal so far. I prefer MyFitnessPal at first sight. Can't remember what the third one is called right now (haven't looked at it yet).
Do you use the communities? What made you choose what you are using?

I am thinking about slowly switching from WW to calorie counting. I feel it is more accurate and easier to log workouts. And I want to start keeping an better eye on balance of nutrition. WW has general guidelines for veggies, dairy and oil but not salt/different fats and vitamins, etc.

Any comments/suggestions?

Ahhhh josey - that is exactly why I switched away from WW to calorie counting! I wanted more complex analysis of what was going into my body. And I wanted full control over daily intake settings. This is why I chose MyNetDiary. Ultimately, the best tracker will be the one you can stick with and use easily!

I also like the fact that DH and I can share food entries (i.e. I create a custom food for a recipe and he can copy it and log it), can share our full diaries with each other and I can turn on/off tracking of specific items without losing the data from past entries. I also use the daily notes section of MND to enter other information about my day....like how I was feeling, cravings, illnesses, etc. I also loved the barcode scanner when I was starting out with MND, even though I'm hardly using it these days.....turns out there are no barcodes on produce and fresh meat!

I don't really use the community unless I'm curious if something is a "bug" or a "feature" or if the app or site has been behaving strangely.

MND has lots of great analysis/charting options. I like being able to see my weight history progress compared against factors such as total caloric intake, calories from carbs, calories burned, etc.

I guess I just stuck with MND because I immediately felt comfortable with the UI and the features. The site and app both felt intuitive right off the bat, which wasn't the case for me and the other trackers.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:50 PM   #357  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

www.treadmilldoctor.com, www.treadmilladviser.com www.treadmillreviews.net

Things to look for. Wide belt, running on a skinny belt is hazardous. Get a good mat for underneath. Unless you are putting it on the ground floor, paying for delivery and installation is completely worth it.

I wish I had gotten a numeric keypad entry instead of only up down arrows. Intervals are smoother.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:54 PM   #358  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

I use fitday at home (as opposed to the online) because I have had it for years.

I have moved into a more "exchange" calorie counting format. I get a decent idea of how my calories are being distributed and how many they are but I never have to nitpik detail and very very rarely do I have to enter new recipes.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:03 PM   #359  

S/C/G: 250/192/140

Height: 5' 6"

Anyone using a pedometer? If you do, how accurate do you find it when it comes to mileage?

I'm working through my mistakes with one I just purchased recently. I purchased an Omron multi-day programmable one. I programmed in the pace measurement. I found & corrected one mistake I made with setting the time (had pm instead of a.m.). It seemed a bit conservative recording my walk in the park yesterday. I walked for over an hour and it only recorded 2 miles. Maybe I'm a lot slower than I thought.

I took Becca The Devil Dog to the park yesterday. They had a Civil War Reenactment in the park. It made for an interesting walk. Really thought I got in more than 2 mile, darn.

Munchey
Old 09-05-2011, 02:16 PM   #360  

S/C/G: 250/192/140

Height: 5' 6"

RESO: Wow! You look great

Munchey
Closed Thread