Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 02:34 AM   #76  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodLily View Post
Challenge #3: trying to work exercise in and sticking to the 1000 calorie diet I will need to lose on. At 5' I was told by one of the weightloss plans that my maintenance calorie intake was 1300 calories unless I increased my exercise significantly.
1000 calories is WAY too low, esp. if you're exercising. No normal person could stick to a plan like that, nor would it be healthy to do so.

How many calories were you eating before starting your plan?

Be careful, you'll slow your metabolism down from too little calories and this will surely defeat the purpose.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:45 AM   #77  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Aw Smartbutt ... I'm sorry that touched a nerve with you. I, for one, often give an opinion when I really don't know what I'm talking about. Posters often do. Humans can be an insensitive lot.
I found one thread lately to be quite frightening and very close to celebrating what I thought was abnormal or pathological behaviour. I guess if I was a good friend I would have said something ... but I didn't.
3FC is really growing in the last while. It's been best for me to kinda back off my "complete coverage" several times a day. There's getting to be quite a few places here, where I just don't go any more.

I've been outright diss'd a couple of times and thought I'd leave. I even discussed a couple of posts with moderators ... but ... like you ... I love it here!

We'd miss you!

Remember that the good thing about message boards is that anyone can come here. And that the bad thing about message boards is that anyone can come here.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:59 AM   #78  

Oh and I meant to agree with Mami with regard to WoodLily ...
If you use a calculator like fitday.com ... you'll be able to see if (by cutting calories very low) you are missing some nutrients. That's my biggest problem with very low cal diets ... you don't have much room to get everything you need.

It would be super wonderful if you had some idea how much you used to eat ... that way you could just cut and not have to worry about a starting point.

As for exercise ... if you've been quite sedentary ... any is better. A half hour sounds like a good place to start. What are you going to do?

Now I'll round up what I was thinkin' ... I'm assumin' that you haven't gained your weight overnight (I didn't, crept on while I was busy doing other things). So if it takes a few weeks to figure out a plan that works for you? So be it. Stick with us ... we'll help you.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:12 AM   #79  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning!
WoodLily! I'll be back later to gab.
Monday's menu: Calories...1,214 Fat...22% Fiber...65g. and protein 84 grams. More about protein and grams later.
Breakfast was something I could eat on the way into town since we had many errands.

4:00am was Vitamins/Salmon oil, Fiber One.

8:? was a turkey sandwich w/dijon mustard and lettuce.

Lunch: Turkey Pepperoni pizza on Flat Out - Apple Squash soup - Pineapple/lime jello with FF/SF cool whip.

Snack: Applesauce with cool whip

Supper: Elk Stir Fry - Squash pudding w/cool whip - Skim milk

Evening snack, I was too lazy to make air popcorn so I had a mini bag of DH's popcorn. As I was eating it I couldn't figure out why it was so buttery and delicious. Then it dawned on me, it wasn't fat free. duh! I gave most of it to DH to eat so I'm guessing on the calories (50)
I finally looked up the amount of protein we should be eating, one of the copy/paste below is from Harvard School.
Oh dummy me can't get it out of the folder I put it in. I'll have to post it some other way.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:16 AM   #80  
Bobbi

This one is from Harvard:
Protein: Moving Closer to Center Stage

Until recently, protein got little attention. Like a quiet child in a classroom of rowdies, it was often overshadowed by fat, carbohydrates, and vitamins. That's changing. Lately there's been an explosion of interest in protein, largely triggered by high-protein diets for weight loss. Surprisingly little is known about protein and health. We know that adults need a minimum of 1 gram of protein for every kilogram of body weight per day to keep from slowly breaking down their own tissues. That's about 9 grams of protein for every 20 pounds. Beyond that, there's relatively little solid information on the ideal amount of protein in the diet, a healthy target for calories contributed by protein, or the best kinds of protein.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:30 AM   #81  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Good morning everyone! It's another frigid day here, yuck. But I'm sure it's not as cold here (northeast) as it where Bobbolink is.

Smartbutt, I feel badly that you were upset about that incident. Things don't always come across well when you write them. I'm not sure if that was the case here. But I do know for sure a few (okay most) of my posts don't come out quite the way I intended them to.

Susan, I really like how you put it, "The good thing about message boards is that anyone could come and the bad thing about message boards is that anyone could come"

Diva, I'm thinking about you and hoping your savings are adding up!!!

Welcome Woodlily. I'm also a mere 5 feet. I have been losing steadily for quite a while now and all I can tell you is this - I eat more then 1000 calories a day. Some days a REAL lot more. I don't think I could stick to this lifestyle if I could eat only 1000 calories. Please be careful.

Monday's calories - about 1250.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:41 AM   #82  
Bobbi

Here's another one, one thing I learned this morning that a straight percentage doesn't work for everyone. It depends on your life style, how active you are, etc. I clicked my life style and age into another site and they said I should be eating 240 calories or 60g per day of protein.
DIETING RECOMMENDATIONS
Ultimately, the percentage of protein you need will depend on whether you are dieting or not, said Cathy Nonas, of the New York Obesity Research Center in New York City. “If you’re on a 1,200 calorie a day diet and want to lose weight and you’re only eating 10 percent protein, you’re not getting enough protein to support lean tissue. Even 20 percent isn’t enough to support lean tissue. Studies have shown that you need to get at least 76 grams of protein, so that means you have to go to the upper ranges of the protein recommendations for a 1,200 calorie diet.”
Old 02-06-2007, 09:46 AM   #83  
Newbie here!

S/C/G: 147.5/134/125

Height: 5 ft

I am 5 ft tlal as well and I need that 1200-1400 calories from what I have read...

Yesterday I got in 1250 calories. I went to the gym last night and it was SO packed. I got a crappy bike and after 15 mins I just left. All the other machines were taken. I was more than annoyed. It was so cold and I couldn't believe how many people were at the gym. I guess that's a good thing though!lol Good to see that people are trying to get in shape and healthy. I have "On demand" on my tv and when my daughter naps I am going to see if I can find a good Cardio workout to do at home for today. Today I have about 385 calories in. I am making chicken salad later for lunch. Tonight will be soup and sandwhiches. It is SO cold here and soup just sounds like it will hit the spot!

I hope you all are having a great Tuesday!!
Old 02-06-2007, 10:14 AM   #84  

Susan - that's a great quote about "anyone can come here", made me laugh. I guess I expected those representing 3fc to take eating disorders a little more seriously. Apparently, it's just funny and there are no such thing as eating disorders. Thanks for the education, 3fc! (I'm living up to my name now.)

rockinrobin - you've never said anything to offend me

Sakuya - I swear I'm going to fly wherever you are and give you a big hug. You sound like you're just having an awful time right now. I'm trying to get back on the wagon of healthy eating myself, after falling waaaay off, so let's try together. I'll keep you in mind next time I want to shove a pound of french fries down my throat, and imagine you slapping me around, hahaha!

The scary part is - I actually miss going to the gym and I'm looking forward to this Friday, when my fiance and I are going to go again. I've been too sick to go, and I think pushing myself to jog further than I'd ever jogged before, when I knew I was coming down with something, probably didn't help. My little victory each time I go to the gym is when they have the Polar treadmill available that actually talks to my Polar heart rate monitor, and transmits my REAL heartrate onto the treadmill's display! Fun toy! Unfortunately, they are the most popular and get snatched up quickly

Have a great day, ladies.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:22 AM   #85  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Good morning everyone!

I'm happy to report I came in at 1405 calories yesterday and am on track for a similar amount today. I didn't get in any exercise yet today--but there is always this evening if I feel up to it. Last night, I fell asleep right after dinner! Must have been a busy day. Oh, yeah, it was!

Everyone have a great day!
Old 02-06-2007, 07:34 PM   #86  
Back to the beginning....

S/C/G: 177/177/150

Height: 5'5"

Helloooooo!!! LOL Well I am about 1000 calories today. I don't know why I get into these funks where I am not eating enough. But I am not hungry. I am going to look for a snack so I can try and get it higher.
Mary
Old 02-06-2007, 08:16 PM   #87  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

Height: 5'6"

Total calories for the day at 1013 with 27% coming from fat.

Even better than my calorie numbers for the day are THESE numbers for the day.

Ready?

Here you go! Yippee for me!!!

Six days, 46 minutes and 51 seconds. 120 cigarettes not smoked, saving $36.19. Life saved: 10 hours, 0 minutes.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:36 PM   #88  

Height: 5'2.5"

About 2000 calories today... yeah. It's all estimated rounded up though because I ate at my mother-in-laws when I came home from work. Probably closer to 1800 but I would rather round up than down. Doing 1200 calories for the next 3 days and then back to 1500... That's my goals at least.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:44 PM   #89  
Newbie here!

S/C/G: 147.5/134/125

Height: 5 ft

1300 calories today. I am heading to the gym at 6:30 in the morning in hopes that it is not too busy.

Diva- You are doing so great with not smoking!! Congrats on such a great job!!
Old 02-06-2007, 08:46 PM   #90  

Ah Diva ... you're doing amazingly!

Sakuya ... good work. Stick to your plan!

Mary ... the odd low day won't hurt a thing.

Hi Bobbi ... I'm a big fan of protein and sincerely hope nobody ever finds out how much is too much. It's really helped me the odd time.

Renee ... workout in the comfort of your own home. Lots of us do!

Robin ... wear a hat!

If I missed anyone ... I hope you're having a good evening. I'm off to watch House in a few minutes here. Upstairs ... away from the kitchen. I need to get this calorie thing under control! You should see these pyjamas ... yicky! for floppy stickin' out belly!
Closed Thread