View Poll Results: How do you feel about the two calorie counting chat threads being merged into one?
Sure! The more people chatting and supporting together, the merrier! 12 37.50%
I prefer to keep them separate. 6 18.75%
It doesn't matter to me, either way (or I visit both threads.) 14 43.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2007, 11:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Calorie Counter Poll-please read!!

I have had a member comment about the fact that we have two different chat threads in the calorie counting area, and the subject came up on whether or not to merge them.

I wanted to know what some of you think!!

I will let this poll go for about 24 hours, and then decide whether to keep them separated or merge them together for the month of March.

Aphil
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:35 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

IMO, don't merge them. Personally, I only look at the one that I post to, only because I "know" the members that post there. It keeps it cozier and more personal. I think that if they were merged, there would be so much going on that we'd loose touch.

That's just my opinion. I'll be happy with whatever choice is made. (I don't get ticked off too easily!!!)
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:44 AM   #3  

Go ahead and vote on the poll part of it if you can.

It personally doesn't matter to me, either way, so that is what I chose. I don't think the knowing/not knowing of the other members is a real issue, at least in my case, because I know about 99% of the posters on the Keep It Simple thread anyhow-either from other threads in calorie counters, or in other places on the board.

Also, there are always going to be new people to 3FC, so there are always going to be new people here that are going to want to feel welcome, and not like they can't join in because they don't know everyone. There are a lot of new members who often comment that they don't post because "everyone knows each other, and they don't fit in" and I don't want that vibe to come across. Did that make sense???

I just edited this post-because I wanted to add in an example from another area of the forum. This is an excerpt from a thread that is all about not fitting in/feeling ignored here at 3FC because some of the long running groups seem "exclusive" and new members are feeling that, and not posting because they don't feel as welcome:

"You're not alone. I've been posting for a long time, and a lot of the times I feel ignored in threads too because I'm not a "regular". Either I move on and find another thread, or just keep posting in the same one and think to myself "who gives a crap if I'm ignored" because at least posting keeps me accountable."

Last edited by aphil; 02-27-2007 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:55 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil View Post
Also, there are always going to be new people to 3FC, so there are always going to be new people here that are going to want to feel welcome, and not like they can't join in because they don't know everyone. There are a lot of new members who often comment that they don't post because "everyone knows each other, and they don't fit in" and I don't want that vibe to come across. Did that make sense???
Yes, that makes a lot of sense, in fact, after I posted, I thought about that. We get new members in "our" thread all the time (and of course, we welcome EVERYONE!).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:10 PM   #5  
rai

S/C/G: 193/178/140? -->size 6 or 8

Height: 5'7

I tend to post in the monthly thread. I don't even know what happens in the "Keeping it Simple Thread". The two threads seemed kind of redundant to me. Do people actually post in both? What are the differences in the two threads?
rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

"You're not alone. I've been posting for a long time, and a lot of the times I feel ignored in threads too because I'm not a "regular". Either I move on and find another thread, or just keep posting in the same one and think to myself "who gives a crap if I'm ignored" because at least posting keeps me accountable." the emphasis is mine

This kinda thing upsets me more than anything. I don't know what more we can do to make people feel welcome. (I know, I'm off on a tangent and I should just vote and shut up) I like to think that all questions get answered. Perhaps we do not personally address each post but who can? I do not envy our moderators. I think they work a waaay harder and put in more time than any of us realise.

I often wonder if some folks are used to 'chatting' where you get immediate answers because everyone is there at the same time???

It's a mixed blessing ... the incredibly fast growth of 3FC.

LURKERS! read, post, read, post ... ask! Someone will help you!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:23 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rai View Post
I tend to post in the monthly thread. I don't even know what happens in the "Keeping it Simple Thread". The two threads seemed kind of redundant to me. Do people actually post in both? What are the differences in the two threads?
The threads are both really rather similar-we tend to pop in, post about our day/exercise/plan or what have you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
[I]
This kinda thing upsets me more than anything. I don't know what more we can do to make people feel welcome. (I know, I'm off on a tangent and I should just vote and shut up) I like to think that all questions get answered. Perhaps we do not personally address each post but who can? I do not envy our moderators. I think they work a waaay harder and put in more time than any of us realise.

I often wonder if some folks are used to 'chatting' where you get immediate answers because everyone is there at the same time???

It's a mixed blessing ... the incredibly fast growth of 3FC.

LURKERS! read, post, read, post ... ask! Someone will help you!
This was a really good post-and I agree 100%. I do try to welcome everyone, and there are always so many times that I know that someone's question or greeting slips through the cracks.

There tend to be times where there is a huge surge in new members-like when an article about 3FC appears in a magazine, or in January when everyone starts their New Years resolutions-and during the busy times like that, it IS hard.

Even in the regular chat threads-you log on, read the 5 or 10 new posts, and when you are typing your own, you try to address all questions, etc. that may have come up in that time-but inevitably you forget SOMETHING.

I am trying to think about something that we can do here, at least in this area...to make newbies feel more welcome. If anyone has an idea in particular-please speak up, and send me a pm.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:10 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I must tell you, I've thought of this often. When I post daily on say the keeping it simple thread, I sometimes DON'T acknowledge everyone, every time. Either because of time restraints, they've said nothing that needs addressing or sheer forgetfullness and the fact that I have absent mindedly over looked them. I try to start off and finish with a general hello and goodbye? Is that good enough? Is there any proper etiquette for this? Or do we all just go on doing the best that we can?
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:27 PM   #9  

I try to greet as many new people as I can...and I try to explain as well to new people that sometimes we cruise the forum, and other times when we are busy, we may only check our email notifications and peek at the threads we are already subscribed to...so if you start a new thread to introduce yourself or ask a question, if no one is surfing the forum at that time-it may be a few hours or a day before you get a response.

I remember when I was new here...the calorie counters didn't even have our own section then-we were all just under General Diet Plans. (It was back a few years ago when Atkins was super popular, and everyone was low-carbing...so we didn't have near the traffic that we do now. )

This site has grown so much!!!
Old 02-27-2007, 02:52 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

I also try to welcome newbies when I can just to encourage them to come to a place that can help them get the unhealthy weight off. I know when I started I wasn't sure where to fit in either and the whole message board seemed rather confusing since I've never been part of an online community before. Now it all seems so simple and easy to navigate. It is easy to feel slighted or not included, but that might just go with the territory of joining a new group. Eventually people start to know you and you know them and you feel more confident. The people on 3FC are very accepting and willing to help whenever possible, so I do hope the newbies realize this and keep coming. Most of us truly care whether the others are succeeding or not in their weightloss goals, and we are especially concerned when we see people following the "old school diet" (overly restrict on non-nutritious foods and then end up going off plan right away because they feel they just can't keep it up..well who can?).

One thing I've noticed from being a member since October is how many people come and go. It is a shame that a lot of the members start off really gung-ho and then you never see them again. You know that tends to mean that they've given up and gone back to their old unhealthy ways and that is so sad!
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:00 PM   #11  

I just wanted to add that I have been posting pretty regularly all across the boards since November at least and have never felt out of place, or unwelcome and people are always very friendly and open.

The only places I don't really post are 100lb club, the 300+ one and the weight loss surgery one because I feel that situation isn't similar enough to them.

Maybe the people who feel like they're not fitting in are hoping to receive a lot of posts in a matter of minutes and feel hurt when responses come slower?
sweet_talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:46 PM   #12  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

IMO, don't merge them. Personally, I only look at the one that I post to, only because I "know" the members that post there. It keeps it cozier and more personal. I think that if they were merged, there would be so much going on that we'd loose touch.
That was my first thought too Allison, we have many posters and the "Keep It Simple" thread moves pretty fast. We start a new thread every month so we can all keep up with each other. We always welcome new members and everyone does a fantastic job of making new members feel comfortable, they certainly did to me when I started posting. I voted to keep it separated, if it's not broke, don't fix it.
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:49 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 184/see ticker/130

Height: 5 ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil View Post
The threads are both really rather similar-we tend to pop in, post about our day/exercise/plan or what have you.

This was a really good post-and I agree 100%. I do try to welcome everyone, and there are always so many times that I know that someone's question or greeting slips through the cracks.

There tend to be times where there is a huge surge in new members-like when an article about 3FC appears in a magazine, or in January when everyone starts their New Years resolutions-and during the busy times like that, it IS hard.

Even in the regular chat threads-you log on, read the 5 or 10 new posts, and when you are typing your own, you try to address all questions, etc. that may have come up in that time-but inevitably you forget SOMETHING.

I am trying to think about something that we can do here, at least in this area...to make newbies feel more welcome. If anyone has an idea in particular-please speak up, and send me a pm.

Hello,
As you know I AM one of the newbies... And I want to tell you, that I feel very WELCOME~

I want to tell every one that has answered my questions, Thanks I plan to spend lots of time here AND elsewere, learning everything I can.

keep up the good job

littlered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:14 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Hi all -- I post in calorie counters forum but never go to the 2 threads we're discussing. I initially voted "don't care" but I realized that one of the reasons I don't read or post in those threads is that there ARE 2 of them. I often don't have time to read through one, much less 2. (and I did used to read when there was only one thread).

So, while you all might be very welcoming to everyone who posts, the fact that there are 2 boards makes it confusing to new people and, for me at least, less inviting. I end up going to neither thread.

Just my $.02.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:26 AM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

You make a good point Wyllen. As usual. Umm, but I have to tell you I didn't even realize there were 2 going on until I saw Aphil's post on a general question here and she invited someone to join. I now kinda feel bad that I have ingnored the other thread, the one that I don't post on. It IS kinda odd that there are 2 chat threads going on in the same forum, basically with the same intention. Although the more people, the harder it is to keep up and then of course, the more the merrier. Boy that was helpful and decisive, huh?
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote