Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 09:46 AM   #31  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

Renee,

I never go to the gym more than 4 times per week. I think I would burn out, too, after a few months if I did. I also find that I am more energized for the next workout when I have enough rest days. The workout days are more effective that way. I think my body prefers it that way. However, I do mostly cardio stuff, and if I had days where I only did weights/strength training with no cardio, I probably could go more often and still be ok. I think 3 or 4 days/week of cardio and some ab work/light weights has gotten me into great shape, and I question the benefits of doing more cardio than that.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:38 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

Height: 5'6"

Rai,

You're so funny! :-p

Bobbi, the idea is to not smoke anything at all. But no ticker. My gadget is plenty.

My calories yesterday were 1372 and I felt totally out of control. Took me 45 minutes to get out the door to head to the gym. I was so slow, couldn't stop crying. It was crazy! I feel much better today. I was so panicked at the thought of blowing my calories but today it feels that I'll be able to control this.

Of course, tomorrow could be a whole different story! LOL

Two days, 15 hours, 8 minutes. 52 cigarettes not smoked, saving $15.78. Life saved: 4 hours, 20 minutes.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:59 AM   #33  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Rai....
Joke:
Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?

A: No, not at all. Wine is made from fruit. Brandy is distilled wine, That means they take the water out of the fruity bit so you get even more of the goodness that way. Beer is also made out of grain. Bottoms up!
Old 02-03-2007, 03:19 PM   #34  

I would like to Join you. I was wondering if I stayed at 1200 calories would that be enough. I am 5'4" and weigh now 180. I am not real active, but when it is nice I try to walk.
I am from Kansas, married, 3 children and 4 grandchildren, 1 dog a Bichon Frise.
Shirl
Stats: 180/180/140
Old 02-03-2007, 04:39 PM   #35  
Bobbi

Welcome Shirl Yes, please join us. There are a few of us on 1200 calorie plans and I think that's a good place to start. Have you ever counted calories before? One great device to have on your kitchen counter is a digital scale. Do you do Fitday? If not, write down everything you eat and keep a journal. Let us know if you have any questions. Some of us post our calories, some post menu's and some just like the comradeship.

Bobbi
Old 02-03-2007, 08:23 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

Height: 5'6"

Total calories for today 1209. Went to the gym... burned 700+ working legs, glutes, and running.

Still not smoking. No casualties to report.

Three days, 53 minutes. 60 cigarettes not smoked, saving $18.22. Life saved: 5 hours, 0 minutes.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:08 AM   #37  

Height: 5'2.5"

After binging 3 days in a row, today I woke up and weighed 128.4 lbs and freaked. -_- Luckily by the end of the day I was 126.4 so it must have been alot of bloat. HOWEVER, I did do good today.

Breakfast: .75c oatmeal, 6 oz soy milk, 1/2 scoop protein powder
Snack: yogurt, almonds
Lunch: turkey club wrap with provolone
Snack: triscuits, cheese string
Dinner: 2 small salmon fillets (~200 calories total), 1 oz sweet potato (it didn't taste good and I'm proud to say instead of eating the whole potato like I usually would I THREW IT OUT! ), 2 wasa rye crackers with 2 tbsp ff cream cheese
Dessert: coconut ice cream bar

Total calories: 1453

Let's see if I can go for 2 days in a row.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:24 AM   #38  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

sakuya I'm glad you were back on track yesterday. That's great news!

Diva, I am so thrilled for you, you have no idea! Hang in there, it's going to get better.

Welcome Shirl!

Bobbolink, my gosh that IS cold. We're in for a very cold week around here as well, but NOTHING like those numbers. How do you mangage? How?

Saturday's calories: about 1200

Have a great Super Bowl Sunday!
Old 02-04-2007, 08:53 AM   #39  

Hi there,
Happy Sunday
I am counting calories starting today and staying as low carb as I can as I have type 2 diabetes. I am going to try to stay around 1200. I plan to start exercising too as much as I can, mainly walking, inside video walking when I can't get outside.
Have a great day everyone and thanks a bunch for the welcomes.
Shirl

Last edited by Shirl2004; 02-04-2007 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:29 AM   #40  
Back to the beginning....

S/C/G: 177/177/150

Height: 5'5"

Hello everyone!!
Well yesterday was a bad day. I was at 2000 calories. Went to the MIL's house and well I can't resist the cookies so I had too many of them, and the rest of the food. Plus I think I ate after 7 which is something I am trying (sp?) not to do. Also I did no exercise yesterday. So today I will be on the gazelle for at least a hour. I figure I can do it while watching the game tonight, or while being bored waiting for something to watch on tv.
Welcome Shirl!! You will enjoy this group!!

Talk to everyone tomorrow!!
Mary
Old 02-04-2007, 01:45 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 176/129/129

Height: 5' 6.5"

Sakuya,

I have struggled with binge-eating in the past. I think there are several potential causes. I'm not a doctor, but I've read several things that have said what I'm about to tell you, and my experience has been in line with this.

Sugar, white flour, and EXCESS FOOD (as in, bingeing) all have this effect on the body: blood sugar level spikes, causing an increase in serotonin in the brain. Serotonin is the 'feel-good' neurotransmitter, and many of the anti-depressants on the market (like Prozac) are SSRIs -- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors -- their goal is to INCREASE the level of Serotonin in the brain. Okay, so in a very basic way, depression = lower level of serotonin. NOT that you naturally have low levels of serotonin. Stick with me. White flour, sugar, simple carbs, and EXCESS FOOD all cause blood sugar to rise, and serotonin levels to go up. Then, because of the SPIKE, our body stops producing/regulating and the blood sugar levels drop EXTRA LOW. Likewise, serotonin levels drop. So your body CRAVES an increase in serotonin, an increase in blood sugar. So you go for either: more sugar, or more simple carbs, or another binge. How does this cycle start? One way is definitely dieting. You get very hungry, then you overeat which spikes then drops your blood sugar, so you do it again to bring it back up, and again, and again. It sounds like you started eating too little food (and passing out at the gym). Then you started eating 'large' quantities of food, even when your body wasn't necessarily calling for that much, to try to maintain. Now you are caught in a cycle.

I think when you understand the physiological things going on behind this, you will have an easier time getting it under control. IMO, you need to STOP eating too little (causing you to want too much!) and, of course, STOP bingeing which is perpetuating the binge. I know it is easier said than done, but if you can choose to eat what will keep you on track for several days, the urges will subside because your serotonin levels will even out. You do not want to feel "enslaved" to food. I have felt this. The key is giving your body what it needs in steady portions throughout the day without giving it lots and lots all at once.

I also really recommend that you make sure every meal or snack has a lean protein (helps keep blood sugar stable) and lots of fiber (helps you feel satisfied longer) and don't go too low in fat overall (you will not feel satisfied). I, personally, avoid all sugars and white flours (they are never satisfying and I always want MORE, MORE, MORE) and eat regularly in small-ish amounts of lean protein and high fiber.

I read what you ate yesterday and it looked PERFECT. Literally, PERFECT. Fiber and protein at every meal and snack. Not TOO low in calories or fat. And of course, not too high. Healthy foods, that are nutrient dense. Seriously, excellent. Now, just knowing what is happening physiologically should make you more committed to sticking with it so that you won't start the ups-and-downs that lead to that terrifying feeling of enslavement!

I also think that exercise (which I know you do) is KEY for people who are susceptible to this rollercoaster. Exercise helps elevate other feel-good brain chemicals like norepinephrine so that you stay steadier and get less of the ups-and-downs too.

Best wishes!

Lindy
Old 02-04-2007, 05:34 PM   #42  
Newbie here!

S/C/G: 147.5/134/125

Height: 5 ft

Yesterday I had 1100 caolries and burned about 225 at the gym. I am trying to stay at 1200. Guess I should have had a little something extra last night. Today I am up to 1000 but I will have a snack later when the Super bowl is on. I watch solely for the commercials!lol

Also I weighed myself this morning and I was 147. When I weighed the other day in the evening I was 150. I know I didn't lose 3 lbs already so my question is does anyone know the time of day that is most accurate to weigh? Should I weigh frist thing in the mornings. I am trying not to be a slave to the scale though. I think it would be much better to get on just one or two times a week. What all do you do? I hope I don't bug you all with my questions. I am just new to this!

I hope everyone is having a great Sunday!!

Edited to add another quick ? If I am eating 1200 calories a day and burn 200 at the gym should I eat 200 more calories? Does that make sense?
Old 02-04-2007, 05:48 PM   #43  
Bobbi

Renee............We never get tired of questions, we've all been there, done that!
You might get lots of different answers on that question. I'm a slave to the scale, I weigh every morning after "tinkling" in just my underwear. You get the most accurate weight then. You can gain 3-4 pounds a day with the foods you eat so don't weigh yourself at night. If you want to only weigh twice a week, go for it. Just make sure you have the same weight of clothes on or better yet in the nude.:
Old 02-04-2007, 08:55 PM   #44  

Height: 5'2.5"

Okay... good day again today so far...

Breakfast: homemade protein bar, grapefruit
Snack: yogurt, .5 c ice cream
Lunch: turkey club wrap with provolone
Snack: yogurt, 2 low fat string cheese
Dinner: 2 servings green beans, chick'n nuggets (vegetarian chicken nuggets)
Total calories: 1432

And yeah, I do try to get lean protein at every meal and tons of fiber. I usually average about 40g per day (crazy, I know, but it gives me no problems so). I get about 100-130g of protein per day as well. I just need to stay on track for a few weeks, I know... But it is very hard to actually do, but I am trying!
Old 02-04-2007, 09:55 PM   #45  
Back to the beginning....

S/C/G: 177/177/150

Height: 5'5"

Well today is alot better than yesterday. I got 30 mins on the gazelle and ate I think it was 873 calories. If not exact it was right around there. Which is low but helps make up for yesterday. Tomorrow I will be back at 1200!!
Mary
Closed Thread