Old 04-18-2008, 04:13 PM   #496  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthetee View Post
Palak Paneer for lunch....mmmmmm
Wow, that's what I had for lunch also! It's one of my fav dishes! Mine was a frozen meal by "Tandoor Chef" (because if I get it take out I'll eat waaaaay too much). Did you make yours or...?
Old 04-18-2008, 04:50 PM   #497  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplefirefly View Post
Rhonda--if you have the patience for clipping coupons, you can really save a lot on groceries. I match coupons up to sale items, for example I get all my cleaning supplies practically free, like 50 cent to a buck for brand name good cleaning stuff, I won't pay more now that I have learned how cheap I can get it.
The problem we have is that there is nothing in the coupons that we use. Most of the food is processed or the cleaners toxic. Until they start putting coupons for produce and organics out there with some regularity, it just is not worth it for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
Wow, that's what I had for lunch also! It's one of my fav dishes! Mine was a frozen meal by "Tandoor Chef" (because if I get it take out I'll eat waaaaay too much). Did you make yours or...?
Trader Joe's. I also love their Bengal Lentils!
Old 04-18-2008, 05:21 PM   #498  
Mandey - Unoffical RED

S/C/G: Year 2010: 149.8/145/130

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedieter View Post
Hey Mandey - I just noticed your sig, are you from WV? I'm from Parkersburg.
nope, actually i am fromt athens ga, but hubby's in the army and we're stationed in TX right now....no we recently watched We Are Marshall (love that movie, but a real tear jerker)....and before the movie started they showed a long ad for WV and all the things they offer for living there and tourists....it looks gorgeous...so thats why i picked it
Old 04-18-2008, 05:34 PM   #499  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyWife02 View Post
nope, actually i am fromt athens ga, but hubby's in the army and we're stationed in TX right now....no we recently watched We Are Marshall (love that movie, but a real tear jerker)....and before the movie started they showed a long ad for WV and all the things they offer for living there and tourists....it looks gorgeous...so thats why i picked it
That makes sense to me. WV is absolutely wonderful, I plan to eventually retire back there, in 30-40 years. lol I try to get back once a year or so. Hopefully this year or next I'll get to go whitewater rafting.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:44 PM   #500  

I forgot to post my review of my homemade laundry soap for Nori.

Cost is about .01 per load, compared to .11 for the regular stuff, (if I buy it in bulk, if not it's more like .16 per load).

It was easy to make, it didn't take long to melt the soap shavings and add the borax and soda. I did let it sit for 24 hours as recommended. It developed a thick gel on top, but I stirred it back in when I poured it into my recycled gallon water bottles.

I used a 1/2 cup in a load of laundry last night. It's a little odd, because it doesn't actually make bubbles (low sudsing), but it did a great job on the laundry. There wasn't any strong chemical smell, and my clothes appeared as clean as ever. So, I think I'll be making my own laundry soap from now on. I also whipped up a batch of homemade dishwashing powder since I already had the supplies on hand. 1 part Borax to 1 part washing soda or baking soda, use 1 TBSP in the dishwasher. It does a much better job of getting my dishes clean than Cascade, and it's very cheap. It certainly takes less time and money to mix up a batch than it does to drive to the store.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:47 PM   #501  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

Quote:
That makes sense to me. WV is absolutely wonderful, I plan to eventually retire back there, in 30-40 years. lol I try to get back once a year or so. Hopefully this year or next I'll get to go whitewater rafting.
WV scares me after seeing that Horror movie "Wrong Turn". lol
Old 04-18-2008, 05:54 PM   #502  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
WV scares me after seeing that Horror movie "Wrong Turn". lol
So you don't want me to stop and pick you up on my way thru TN on my next trip home? I'm always getting off the interstate on my way home and taking the backroads. I figure if I head north and east, eventually I'll get there. Let me tell you, there are some scary places in TN too. And AL, and KY. But there are also some incredibly beautiful places that I would have missed if I stayed on the "main road".
Old 04-18-2008, 06:23 PM   #503  
Accepting who she is

Quote:
1 part Borax to 1 part washing soda or baking soda, use 1 TBSP in the dishwasher. It does a much better job of getting my dishes clean than Cascade, and it's very cheap. It certainly takes less time and money to mix up a batch than it does to drive to the store.
I wonder how it would do here. I had been using the eco-friendly stuff, but I still have to use 3 parts greenie detergent with 1 part of commercial detergent. I spend last night taking a scrubby to all of my glasses and silverware because I had not been using the commercial stuff and the hard water/rust stains were awful.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:27 PM   #504  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

Talking

Quote:
So you don't want me to stop and pick you up on my way thru TN on my next trip home? I'm always getting off the interstate on my way home and taking the backroads. I figure if I head north and east, eventually I'll get there. Let me tell you, there are some scary places in TN too. And AL, and KY. But there are also some incredibly beautiful places that I would have missed if I stayed on the "main road".

Girl, don't I know it. Jess and I went riding into unchartered territory not too long ago and suddenly the dang road turned from pavement to gravel to dirt then we saw junk everywhere with no trespassing signs on trees, I was like "Dude WRONG TURN, lets get the eff out of here!" LOL!
Old 04-18-2008, 06:30 PM   #505  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Quote:
Let me tell you, there are some scary places in TN too. And AL, and KY.
Yeah, I stick to the main roads in AL! I actually just try to stay completely out of the state, but since DH has family there...

Thanks for the review of the homemade detergents. I'm going to try them. Except I just stocked up on 2 96-oz containers!! So not anytime soon.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:26 PM   #506  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

That is the great thing about BoB(Bucket of Boogers) homemade laundry detergent. You can tweak the amount of washing soda, borax, or grated soap depending on your water conditions. Some people with hard water have a slightly different recipe than those with soft water. You can also use pretty much any soap you want. I either use Fels Naptha or my homemade lye bar soap. Both work equally well here. I have made the liquid and powder versions. When I do the liquid I use the proportions for the 5 gallon size but mix it in a 2 gallon pail so it is even more concentrated and then I just use even less. I think I prefer the powder version the best though and I've had no problems with it dissolving in warm water. I'm trying to switch to all cold water washing but DH is having none of that though. I also know a lot of people who put essential oils in either for fragrance or disinfecting. DH used to be a loyal Tide user is even using my homemade stuff now. That says a lot in my opinion.

I am also taking a virtual vacation from Northern Michigan to Georgia. 1185 miles total. I am using minutes wogged in place of miles. I am also trying out Dixie's idea of a 5k a day. Only did 2.4 miles yesterday and never made it out today but there is always tomorrow. Gotta work up to these things, right?

Steel cut oats are my new favorite food. Mash a little banana in there and sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top and you have the perfect dessert. Yum
Old 04-18-2008, 07:31 PM   #507  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

I said I was single when I meant to say I don't have kids because BF is joined at the hip with me. LOL. Sometimes I need my space. Thank goodness he has his place and I have mine although he is over here most times. He's my inspiration with his skinny self. He has totally changed his diet to include whole foods. I'm slowly getting there and not even wanting some of things I used to eat.

Still hurting but still planning to exercise tomorrow. Off to buy Bob's book and Mariah Carey's new cd on Amazon.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:13 PM   #508  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 207.5/179/140

Height: 5'6

Hello ladies...I'm just popping in to say hello! This week has been CRAZY! My son is sick again...I can't take much more of this. I think it's time to get the holy water out and sprinkle it around my house!LOL! For real though it doesn't seem to be letting up over here. The good news is that my eating and exercise have been OP. I lost track of what my day is OP, but I think it's 19. This weekend is going to be kinda busy, so I thought I'd just pop in now and wish you all a happy weekend. Have a good one ladies~
Old 04-18-2008, 09:31 PM   #509  
Accepting who she is

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthetee View Post
I did ours for two weeks. I spent $77 at Kroger last night, and I hope to only spend $170 at Trader Joe's. And when it's gone, it is pasta and bean soup, baby!
Got out for $150.40.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:15 PM   #510  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Dee, thanks for the review of the laundry detergent. Zinke, I was "born and raised" using Tide. That's all I've ever used, but I really hate paying a lot of money for brand loyalty. I'm willing to try making my own laundry detergent. One other question for you guys.....what about your fabric softener? Mom always used Downy, and I always have, too. Have you tried using 1/2 cup of vinegar in your wash?

Anna...I'm now looking into using a clothes line in my neighborhood. This is a new subdivision and I'm not sure what the HOH will have to say. I'm pretty sure that they are more about appearances than saving my pocketbook and the environment.

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 04-18-2008 at 10:17 PM.