Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #241  

S/C/G: 210/192.8/155

Height: 5'2"

Scale down another pound. I'll soon be below 200 for the first time since 2009. Hard to take credit as it's only the second week of weight loss plan.
Thank you Beth
"Actions come first. Feelings come later."
JuliaGoingToBeLateForWork
Old 01-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #242  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Super quick check in on a loaner computer at work; mine's hit the skids. My lunch plans with a new woman here at work were cancelled because she didn't want to go out in the frigid cold ... can't blame her there, but I didn't bring a backup. Thought about where I wanted to go ... read my reasons for losing weight ... and am eating an apple and oatmeal for lunch and must not be all virtuous when I get home and eat too much tonight because I'm going lighter than normal for me at lunch. Need to head that line of thinking off.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #243  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Hey nationalparker, major credits for reading your reasons and then choosing healthy food for lunch. Credits for recognizing the evening risk. You can stick to your plan for dinner--hear Beck chanting "NO CHOICE" in your ear.

BTW, I put an extra frozen meal in the office freezer for last minute oops, such as a changed lunch date or forgetting my lunch. Even if it wasn't on my plan for that day, I know it could have been, and fits into my eating plan.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #244  
Italian Sunny Girl!

S/C/G: 63/52.5/52

Height: 1,63 mt

Quick ciao to you all! Great job both Julia and Nationalparker! Stop criticising yourselves and remember: what would you tell to your best friend or to your child if he/she was in the same situations? We are not perfect, we are human as Dr. Beck says and we can learn each day a new way to face difficulties substituting bad habits with good habits!
Credit to me for eating alone tonight, OP.
Good night. (In Italy is cold too...it snowed during the weekend...what's the weather like where you live?)
Baci
Old 01-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #245  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi folks... This morning I went to see the dietician. I have gained some weight since last time I saw her. I told her that I almost cancelled our appointment so that I could 'buckle down' and lose some weight before I would see her next. She said that many folks do this... it's just not necessary.She was 'proud' of me for that. Credit for going. Talking to her this morning gave me some ideas of how to stay away from extra evening eating. In fact, I was planning to have one last sugary sweet treat before I really started again. But, from talking to her... I just drove by Panera and Tim Hortons and did NOT get my unplanned extra sweet treats. Credit!

We talked about how to avoid night time eating. I listed many things ... many of which are from Dr. Beck's Book, too. Out of a list of 15 ways or distractions I committed to doing some of these things.. 1. call my friend, Fran 2. go into a different room that I ususally hang out during the evening 3. do a meditation 4. read my advantages 5. set the timer and try to wait it out. Of course.... there are the D's, too: Distractions, Drink water, Distance self from food, Deep Breathing, Don't drive (which she changed into 'stay home' - no D however, lol), Destroy the food, if necessary. Once again, Much of what we talked about is intermingled with things Dr. Beck has said. Also... when I am done eating for the day I will put the kitchen chair in front of the fridge as a 'sign' that eating time is done.

I didn't do any 'tricks' before going to see her this morning, such as: not eating breakfast, not drinking any water, not wearing a slip with my dress. All these so I could have a lower number at the scale. I am working hard to losing that 'disordered' thinking I have around food & weight loss. Credit.

I have my plan for today and am feeling hopeful.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 01-22-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #246  

S/C/G: 210/192.8/155

NationalParker-It's probably already dinner time for you. I hope it went well. Credit for recognizing a sabotaging behavior i.e. deviating from plan because your lunch was light.

BeverlyJoy
Much credit for what you did with the dietician. Evening eating is a problem area for me. Thank you for listing alternatives.

bootedKitty-
It's in the 20's where I live, cloudy with a hoary frost that has lasted 2 days. There is snow on the ground from a week ago. Gloomy weather is not good for me right now.

I still have no appetite, I know it will return. For now I am eating what's on my plan, enjoying what I can which is very little. My old favorites don't even tempt me . As Ann says, I'm pretty much faking it now. The bright side is it's making my weight loss easier for the time being. I'm sticking as close to 1200 as possible to avoid slowing my metabolism. Will walk a bit in a few minutes.
Julia
Old 01-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #247  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Hi All,

Didn't get back here last night after all. DH dropped me off at the gym, then after dinner I got him and DS to take the dogs for a long walk so I could scrub the kitchen floor and one bathroom floor. With the frequent weather changes here those dogs really track a lot of stuff in from outside. So instead of the gym I got 40 minutes of floor scrubbing. Felt it in my arms so that's a plus.

Last night kind of went off the rails for me, I find when I don't plan my whole day it's not good. Ending up sleeping in a bit yesterday so grabbed things in a hurry as I had not made lunches the night before. After I got all the cleaning done I sat down to watch Biggest Loser and just kept snacking. I counted all the points for it but was not surprised when the scale was up a bit this morning. Then this afternoon I found a Christmas supply of chocolate we had hidden in a cupboard at work for the other staff and ended up eating one of the chocolate bars. Even while I was eating I was wondering why but it didn't seem to stop me. Now I have to figure out how many points that was. Oh well, move on, not enough reason to quit now. Dinner is back on plan and I'm looking forward to having some of my garden beets that I had froze.

Couple errands to do tonight before more events on Thurs & Sat and then it's my night to walk the dogs.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #248  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation full of no-excuses

Coaches

I'm going to re-commit to a goal of being below 250. I would like to lose 5lbs in 2 weeks. To do this I need to make my food plan a priority again.

These days I keep losing focus. I'm in the winter doldrums. I just loathe January. Last year I had getting out of here for sunny Key West to lift up my mood. I don't have that to motivate me this year. In fact I can't even get focused on a single art project either. I can't even decide what I want to do with my year, which is kind of important as some deadlines have already passed.

Years ago my art show friends and I used to give ourselves January off *guilt free*. We called this time of year "the days of sloth". Time to just chill out and take the pressure off and contemplate the busy year that was while planning for the year that is to come. I don't think I function in January when I am working for myself. If I had a job to go to I'd do it, but I don't so here I am. Waffling on everything. Oh well. I can keep trying and trying. It's actually good practice for the rest of the year/rest of my life. I'll feel like this again and it just CAN'T be an excuse for letting everything go everytime. That's just not going to get me below 200lbs.

Thanks for being here.

Last edited by onebyone; 01-22-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:56 PM   #249  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Hi all.

DS came in tonight (just for a few hours) and so I'm just checking in before bed. after a wonderful visit. DS is 20 and lives with 4 other guys. I filled a bag with food from the pantry that we probably won't eat due to the changes I'm making. They aren't the tempting foods, but rather more pastas and other breaded things that are high calorie. He also gets to take home two frozen homemade lasagnas, which definitely don't fit on my plan, although they are scrumptious (I kept one). He and his roommates like all food provided by parents (meaning they didn't have to pay for it.)

Today was Day 13--the cravings chapter. I didn't have any cravings today but I read the chapter and will fill out the form when I get a craving. My cravings tend more to be texture type things. I'll crave something cold and smooth (which could be ice cream), but a morning breakfast of cereal, fruit, and milk also satisfies it. So, a few days ago when I wanted something cold and smooth, I just promised myself cereal for breakfast and was fine.

(Although I guess those flavored tootsie rolls are still calling my name IN VAIN.)

I feel as if the new habit of only eating sitting down was pretty easy to establish. I'm aware of that I'm not nibbling while preparing food, but it's pretty easy. Before long, I doubt I'll even think about it. Credit!

However, I'm finding eating mindfully a bit harder. I totally forgot at breakfast this morning and was distracted and suddenly I was done with my food. Did better at lunch. Credit for that. I think that response card is going to have to be one I re-read more often.

I'm going to get more detailed with planning my meals (Day 14). My thought is to pre-enter everything in MyFitnessPal and then adjust it during the day if I make changes. That'll make it clear to me that I am or am not eating exactly to plan. That's going to be hard for me, because I so BALK at planning--I've not fully gotten a handle of planning a week's worth of menus so I can grocery shop on a schedule and have the foods in the house.

I can tell that planning is going to be hard for me. But that doesn't mean I can't do it. It just means I'll struggle with a bit before I get used to it and get good at it and find it easier.

The walking is getting easier--and I'm getting faster--and walking for longer periods. They're still short walks, but that's okay--I'm moving and enjoying moving more. I'm even adding in a few more minutes walking by choosing a far away restroom and taking the long route to get there :-).

bootedKitty: Credit for an OP dinner--even alone. It's about 13 Fahrenheit here right now, with a sub-zero windchill. It's why I'm upping my inside walking--it's just too cold to walk outside.

Beverlyjoy: It sounds as if seeing the dietitian was just the right thing to do. Is getting physical exercise an option when you get the evening munchies? (Treadmill, walk around the block?)

Julia150: So much credit for making yourself eat to give your body fuel and to walk. It's hard--but you're persevering.

Tazzy: Credit for getting back on plan for dinner. Can you do more general planning to make sure you have last minute solutions that fit your overall plan? (And share any solutions you come up with!)

onebyone: Credit for recognizing the planning is key and committing to it.

Have a good night everyone--I'm off to bed to re-read Days 14 and 15.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:40 AM   #250  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked in the cold, CREDIT moi, to the library to return Team of rivals: the political genius of Abraham Lincoln. Unread. That's a big deal for me since I have to fend off the notion that I'm a failure because I didn't complete a commitment. Fact is, I got what I wanted by reading the start of the book. It's superb, but I don't have time for its 944 pages right now. I'm reading six books for a couple of courses I've signed up for at the local college for spring semester. Some choice making is in order to allocate time to keep up; it's been a while since I've taken classroom courses. But, I'm psyched.

Food was good enough, CREDIT moi. I wish it were 100%, but I seem to be distracted. Dinner included Mustard Greens. I love them - especially because their bite-back makes them taste healthy, LOL.

onebyone – LOL at "the days of sloth" - my lowest month is February when I lose the feeling that winter will ever be over. Kudos for re-committing to your goal.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Gotta love the simplicity of, "If I pack this morning I'll be ready tomorrow." I wasn't born with the pack-the-day-before gene.

Beverlyjoy – Great reminder about "that 'disordered' thinking I have around food & weight loss" - a big clue that we need strategies to counter it.

Tazzy - Yay for resistance exercise. Ouch for getting it scrubbing the floor, LOL. I remember sweeping the kitchen floor multiple times a day when our Aussie was going in and out during the summers.

nationalparker – Neat to spot the preemptive Sabotaging Thought that when you get home you'll probably eat more. Our neurons are so vigilant seeking ways to get food - like famine is around the corner.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – LOL at "like all food provided by parents." There was a time when my DD would visit and I'd always offer her a box of her favorite cereal. She'd grab it like she'd never had food before. Something about food from the 'rents pantry that's special. Yep, Kudos for killing that nibbling while preparing food.

Julia (Julia150) – Yay for Onderland in sight. Kudos for continuing one step at a time.

Kitty (Bootedkitty) – Sometimes eating alone is more difficult because we lack the distraction of a fun conversation. Kudos for doing that OP. It's cold here - in the low 20's Fahrenheit. But no snow.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
How Thin People Think

characteristic 1
You Confuse Hunger with the Desire to Eat

The Beck Diet Solution
To think like a thin person, you must learn to tell the difference between hunger and the desire to eat so that you can make better decisions about when it's appropriate to eat and when it's not. You'll do so by paying attention to how your stomach feels before and after meals. You'll also do such experiments as purposefully making yourself hungry so that you learn to recognize what true hunger feels like.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 34.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:37 AM   #251  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Good morning - another cold one here but thankfully not in the single digits. Add me to the list of those who are ready for winter to end. My sister LOVES it, but doesn't have to leave her home on a schedule, lives in Colorado Springs where she says it snows and is gone from roads a few hours later quite often, and the sun shines all the time. She should get paid by a tourism company. I'd like that winter, too.

Got home yesterday, spent a few minutes with the pets ... DH was out and I made myself a cup of hot tea and snagged a book I'm reading and went back to the kitchen for a 1/4 cup dry cereal. So limited success...However, it worked into my plan - I'd not snacked in the afternoon, and dinner was a few hours away. DH was doing marketing, of all things! He brought in a bag of fresh carrots and so I made carrots, green beans, scalloped potatoes and the leftover mini bbq meatloaves. It was exceedingly difficult for me to not "even up" the edge of the potatoes in the casserole when cleaning up. I will always choose potato over cake/chocolate. Loaded the plates with veggies so only a normal portion of spuds.

Tonight we're going to a nice theatre for a performance of A Little Night Music, which I keep calling A Little Night Magic - hopefully it'll be a little bit of both.

Working on personal catch-ups here... I need to read/remember! Forgive the double post when it comes...
Old 01-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #252  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.
OP yesterday except for a larger portion of sweet potato than planned. I compensated by forgoing evening snack. Kudos from my job. Credit for accepting the compliments. Weight one pound under ticker. Exercise is trotting all over campus putting up my Valentine's Day Reading Promotion flyers.

Busy work day but then calling in "sick"tomorrow to work on my thesis. Have a little brunch today-- plan is to eat some cheese and homegrown walnuts which i am bringing and one small sweet.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #253  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi coaches/friends... checking in. Yesterday was 100% op. I am so grateful.

My big credit last no was NO nighttime extra eating. Grateful.

I watched an interesting show on Dr. Oz yesterday. It was with Paul Mckenna... the hypnosis guru. Interesting concepts. It reminded me of how I used to include meditation/guided imagery/self hypnosis in my life a while back. It was helpful. That show had some intriguing thoughts and peeked my interest. I did a meditation this morning. Credit.

I hope you are all having a good day.

Bethfromdayton - I can do some exercising. Mostly, it must be non-weightbearing.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 01-23-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #254  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Hello Everyone,

Dinner stayed OP last night and I wanted something sweet after so had 1 small chocolate (it fit the plan). Then I went out to do errands and managed to walk past food choices in 2 dollar stores and Wal-Mart. Credit for that. By time I got home and walked the dogs the cravings had passed.

I had this thought this morning (and I'm not taking credit for it as I'm sure I've heard it somewhere before), "Failing to plan is planning for failure". I need to plan my days and then I stay on track, I can't decide after 16 days back on WW that I no longer need to track things. So while I got my food for the day going I got out my tablet, logged on the site and tracked it as I went. Took a few more minutes but will ultimately make it better.

I brought my gym bag to work with the intention of having DH drop me off on the way home. He ended up with a migraine so came to get the car and now I'll have to walk to the train and take it home. I can get off a few stops earlier and have a 5 minute walk to the gym. He'll then pick me up there later. I wish I would have worn my winter boots and not my running shoes as it's only about 3F here and my shoes are rather airy with the mesh. Oh well, I will survive! And like everyone else I too am ready for winter to be over.

Back to the work on my desk.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #255  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up on plan day today

Coaches

Weighed in this afternoon *credit* and saw a drop to 254 something. Would like to see that drop tomorrow when I weigh in at my WW meeting.
That I saw the drop today is good enough for today though.

I am reminding myself that I would be, no WILL BE, thrilled to enter the warmer summer months under 230. That is not a number I have seen in many years. Possibly even 20 years. It's about 25lbs down from where I sit right now. I know there are MANY examples of folks here on this board who have done this very thing. I am not unique. My body works like everyone else's and so this is not unattainable. I do have to stay focused on this goal. I can't waffle back and forth, off and on. I gain ground. I lose ground. Great for maintaining, not for losing, and so I must move forward implementing the strategies I need to lose weight.

*credit* for completing day 3 of my 3 day workout with my trainer on the wii fit. It took 10 days but I did do other activity in between, so in reality I moved those three days AND three more. So *credit* for adding movement back to my life.

That's it for now. Today is a good day. I've even made some progress decluttering my giant moving box pile in the dining room *credit* and I have begun a painting that is only for me. *credit* My own personal muse to remind me to stay honest and on track. I need this external reminder cause I haven't internalized this yet. My hunch is this will help me stay focused.
*credit* for keepin on keepin on.

Last edited by onebyone; 01-23-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Closed Thread