Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 05:05 AM   #151  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - It was too hot to have dinner on the patio! Ouch! The "heat dome" is upon us. But the cold pasta salad and deviled eggs hit the spot. Exercise was removing and washing the metal parts of the baseboard hot water heating system - CREDIT moi even though I'd have rather been at the gym.

Shepardess - Yay for chunks of sleep whenever you can grab them. Eating while nursing is a challenge. Maybe the 3FC Pregnant - Nursing Forum has some insights, or at least empathy.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Big Kudos for avoiding samples at Costco, as well as the frozen yogurt. LOL at 55#'s of coffee - that's something I'd do.

maryann - I do like being reminded of the basics, "sit while eating, resistance technique, fullness sets in 20 mins. after eating. Etc... "

pamatga - Ouch for the bad news, but Kudos for not eating over it - I know about doing that. Wishing you a positive resolution to the problem.

Alana in Canada - Gifts of food are such an annoyance!!! I usually accept them and find an alternative home for them later. People have food gifts tightly bound to hospitality and have little awareness that many people make choices around food. Kudos for making your plan. Yep, it takes a chunk of time, and Yep, it does go faster after awhile.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 2 Weigh yourself daily
Getting on the Scale.
Are you afraid to weigh yourself? Has it been awhile since you stepped on a scale? I want you to start seeing the number on the scale as a measurement to guide your eating behavior. It's certainly not representative of who you are. It's not an indication of your worth as a person. Here's an analogy that may help: If you woke up one day and weren't feeling well, you might take your temperature and use the information to decide what to do. If the thermometer read 98.6 degrees, you'd probably go to work. If it read 102, you'd probably stay home and call your health-care professional. You wouldn't think, Oh this is terrible! I can't believe I let the number get so high! I'm such a failure! No, of course not. You would just use the number on the thermometer as a guide in deciding what to do.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 57.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:50 AM   #152  
Finding what works for me

S/C/G: 209 / 194 / 160

Height: 5' 9"

Default A mommoth post - i obviously had a lot to get off my chest!

Hey guys, another morning is upon us and it’s Friday! Woop woop!

Credits – mid-week weigh-in: down 1lb , got up prior to work for an early morning swim, planned my meals for the day, stayed OP yesterday, cycled to work, checked in… I’ve managed to meet / exceed my weeks exercise goals but I’m starting to feel that niggly little gremlin on my shoulder telling me that if I just did a bit more and ate a bit less I’d see more weight loss… I know that in theory this is true but I have been down this road before and definitely don’t want to go down it again. I’m attending in a wedding in September and I’m starting to think ‘oh, if I try hard I could be X weight for the wedding’ – I really need to just bat these thoughts away and concentrate on my 5lbs goal, eating healthy, nurturing my body and seeing where that leads me. I’m not saying it’s a bad idea to set yourself goals, but on a personal level I know where it can lead me and all of the negative emotions / disappointment associated if the goal is not met (even if weight is lost), or the obsessive / addicted euphoria if it is met is too much of an emotional rollercoaster for me right now, and I fear it may knock me off track.

And right now I feel good eating on plan and checking in (and living my life – having fun, not obsessing over whether I’ve done more than an hour’s exercise today and whether I’ve eaten only veggies for lunch) , so I definitely don’t want to derail myself (lots of train / rollercoaster analogies for some reason ). Phew. Feels good to have that off my chest. Thanks for listening guys

BBE - nutella – it’s spreadable chocolate combined with nuts – what’s not to love? I am a recent PB convert though… I lurve the jam (or jelly as you guys call it!) and PB on toast. Yummer! Although I am recently getting into the whole almond butter thing, it’s a bit more expensive but really nice. I need to purchase a food processore then I’ll be able to make it myself for a fraction of the price As for one or the other, that’s a tough choice I don’t think I can make!

Debbie - yea! for sane and ‘thinking like a thin person’

Alana – tough one. Not sure what others think but do your family know you’re trying to make changes? Are they being supportive? I think your hubby probably thought he was doing something nice and you did what was best – thanked him! I’d probably have said something like ‘thanks honey (or other pet name!), that was really thoughtful of you but I’ve already eaten my allowance of (that/fruit/whatevs) for today, they look really good though – I’ll put them in the cupboard to have as part of my allowance tomorrow’ then it depends how you want to proceed – if you really want to eat them (i.e. you think it’s worth it as your snack) spread them out – you don’t need to eat them all at once. Otherwise (close your ears BBE!) they could go into the cupboard and then magically disappear (kids/bin/dog)! In my experience men cannot find anything in cupboards even when they’re looking for it, so he isn’t going to notice you not eating them If they are something not on your plan but he thinks they’re ‘healthy’ then just say thanks and you appreciate it but they’re not your plan, however ‘x food’ is – or leave a list of foods you can eat on the fridge – chances are he won’t read it but you never know, he might! And if he’s being thoughtful he might grab something of the list for you next time as a treat. If you’re at work and someone offers you something – don’t even think about it – whip out the old ‘no choice’ and say NO – I find it helps not to look at the food – just get the words ‘no thank you’ out of your mouth! If you give yourself any time to deliberate then it’s much harder to say no, I find. Once you’ve done it once, you surprise yourself, ‘yes, you can say no’ and then the resistance muscle is strengthened. Yee-hah!

Maryann – commiting to the new way of living your life and knowing you’ve been doing it for a year – that deserves a big CREDIT and a

Pam – a toughie. You want to stay away from places / events where you may end up overeating but you do not want to ruin your relationships. Maybe you need to give yourself more credit – perhaps you could have tried attending the dinner with DH and setting yourself some rules. Yes, you feel to h**l with it, but maybe this could be offset by planning an indulgence at the meal – allow yourself a dessert but no wine / bread. Or say one glass on wine only and try to pull out ‘no choice’ for the second round. When you’re tempted to say yes, imagine how it would feel if you were sat there alone? The effects of having one dessert on your body will be minor compared to the stress you will feel by eating everything in sight, or by sitting at home worrying about how you are making your DH feel. As someone who has been much thinner and struggled with their relationship due to their own diet obsession, I can honestly say that being thin if your heads not in the right place isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. I’d much rather by a stone heavier and be in a happy healthy relationship than be a size zero but alone. Not that I was ever a size zero mind! I hope this wasn’t overly intrusive / interfering, but keep loving yourself (and trusting yourself!) and it will all come together. You’re strong enough to see your problems and where they lay – that is the first half of the battle.

happy weekend, see you guys Monday
Old 07-22-2011, 06:58 AM   #153  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Both lunch and dinner were substitutions (mom had a special request and a late appt didn't facilitate my original meal). I made really careful decisions remembering that I had a plan for our remaining raspberries. I have never portioned ribs before. *credit* for willingness. Exercise was painting and scraping and a spontaneous walk up a very steep hill.

I was looking at another day of food sanity until I took a leap for an unplanned snack AFTER a well thought through dinner. I DID stop. *credit*

I have read through all of your thoughtful posts. I'd like to respond but am having my usual connection issues here. I wanted to sit down last night and 3FC was doing maintenance leaving the site unavailable. Now I've just got to get to work. Perhaps today I'll be able to get back here later.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:57 AM   #154  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello everyone:

Shepherdess- congratulations on the arrival of your sweet little baby!!!

For me- struggling with weight issues. Struggling to find a way to deal with life without constant eating. What more can I say that I have not already said?

The upside is that I am away today to swim, boat, fish and relax and will be gone for most of the next 2 weeks. A much needed change of pace and I am so excited not to be getting ready to go to work this morning.

That's it for now, won't be on the internet for most of the 2 weeks. Wish you all a happy day with sane eating.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #155  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Default Friday

Checked in late last night but I see the post didn't go through. errgh.

My daughter is all packed and off to her Girl Guide camp in BC. It will take about a day and a half to get there--and then she has to walk a kilometre to the tent site. I hope she can manage!

We met someone who volunteered to drive her to the bus for us (about a two hour drive)--and realised she had forgotten her lunch, snacks and water bottle in our car. She should be all right--of all things to forget, this was the best thing, I guess! Still, of course, I'm anxious. My baby doesn't have her food! But, really, she can get a sandwhich at a truck stop and a bottle of something to drink. She WILL be fine!

My son is off to Newfoundland tonight with his scout trip. Overnight flight. It'll be another day of rolling clothes and squishing a sleeping bag into a compression sack--I really hope we can get him packed into one bag (and one carry on) as they are "camping" on a Scout shop floor in St. Johns for 10 days.

I have no plan for today, but I hope I can get one together in the next little bit. First I have to put "Truck Adventures" in the VCR for my 3 1/2 year old nephew.

Nonetheless, *credit* For weighing in this morning. Still under 250. Yay.

Ceejay--May you have many sane eating days on your vacation. Sounds like you need it. All the best to you.

Lexxiss--Good for you for stopping! I had a mad moment with some mac'n'cheese yesterday, too. *credit* us for coming to our senses.

Superchick--thanks for your thoughtful response. I can now think about them--I was just paralysed by the whole "what is he doing" issue. (Something nice. It's always been highly appreciated in the past!) He knows I'm changing what I eat--but I haven't bothered him with the details.

I've discovered that my food plan allows 75 calories a day for "sweets." I'm trying to avoid them for a couple of weeks --to avoid any possible triggers-- while I stay OP. So, I'll put the raisins away for a while and see whether I want them in a couple of weeks.

MaryAnne-- Congrats on a whole year! That is fantastic! I'm just thrilled for you.

Pamatga--Sounds like you are on the cusp of an important insight. Interested in how your thoughts unfold for you. for your situation.

BBE--Sounds like you're doing a lot of work over there! Are you keeping a blog? (I love reno/decorating blogs.) Thanks for your understanding!

Shepherdess--congrats on the sleep! May you have as much as you can get--and I hope that's lots. My first born was colicky and could not be soothed for about three months straight. Hubby and I were very bleary eyed parents--so I'm a HUGE advocate of sleep! Glad your husband can soothe her while you are there for back-up. Confidence just takes practice--like any new skill, right?

Right--off to make the plan.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #156  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Superchick: I totally recognize the counter-sabotage of a brain saying "see you've been successful, now I demand more. The weight could be gone by next month. " The expectations have always been deadly in my experience. This time down, I lost an average of .5 pounds a week but everytime I hit a new size I got rid of (donated) the last size. I am never going back.
Lexxiss: The insanity of having a well planned dinner and then still snacking. My latest little trick is to po a sugar free mint in my mouth. I am hoping that I will come to associate the taste with the end of eating. I never like the end even if I am totally full and have enjoyed every mouthful.
BBE: We're hot here too although not as hot as you guys ( Having just come back from your neck of the woods.)
Ceejay: Enjoy your trip.
Alana: Hope the plan is written, committed. Always a good idea to think ahead. Yesterday, I was a little emotional, started thinking about lunch and was confused until I remembered I didn't HAVE to think about it. Quite a relief.

OP for three days and have lost 3 pounds - crap weight from last week. I am dreading going to Santa Cruz BEach because I don't want to lose momentum. Well, for today I have a plan, it might not be a perfect plan buit it is a plan. Yesterday, finally got an air conditioner. Last one was DOA June1. It took all day. I finished a school book ( pretty good - Birds of America by Lorrie Moore ) and didn't eat. Can't ask for more than that.

Last edited by maryann; 07-22-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:38 PM   #157  

S/C/G: 278/274/170

Height: 5' 6.5"

Default Inspired

Reading all you guys post and seeing your weight tickers inspire me. I have been on the diet yo-yo as long as I can remember, I am even 7 1/2 years post gastric bypass and am still trying to lose weight. I have regained 100 of the 130 I lost due to the surgery. The good part is, I still can not eat as much as I could prior to the surgery, but the bad thing is that I can wait a little while and eat again. I don't regret having the surgery, but it is not a magic answer. You still have to change your thinking. I am hoping to do this with Beck. I went 2 years without sugar or soda of anykind, that was because the Dr's told me I "couldn't" have any. Of course I decided to try it and see, and low and behold I could tolerate it. bummer! So I am hopefully I can change my thinking and get this weight off for good. Stress and depression are 2 of my biggest obstacles, but I will overcome.

Becky
Old 07-22-2011, 01:30 PM   #158  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

anotherchick. Well, Becky, we are a sharing bunch here but warm, loving and lots of good talk about all kinds of stuff. again and hop on board.

[Sidenote:] I was just going to say to our resident man-Bill do you ever feel like you are the rooster in the hen house? I always tease my Dad about that since that was him in our family household and then here the first great grandchild is a girl. Now, a boy is on the way.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Afterwards, I wondered if I should have said all I said and then I thought, "aw, what the Hooie!!" I think I am realizing just how all of this is so intermeshed in my life. When food was my buffer I just did things almost not even aware of it (half comatose really) but now that excess food is (usually) out of the picture, I am left with all kinds of thoughts and feelings; some which overwhelm me at times.

Right now I am having one really great OP day and then one real Off Plan; like, "one half bag of potato chips and diet rootbeer for breakfast" day. Flip flopping like a fish out of water. I am blaming this !@#*&^* weather. It has messed with my appetite for all that is good and sane. Even though I haven't had to be out in this heat longer than to go from a/c to a/c, I just am really hating it. I have lost my appetite for anything but ice cream(and I am not even drawn to ice cream usually either??) and LOTS of ice to chew on. I have chewed so much ice in the past month, there are times when I have to put socks and long sweat pants on---I'm freezing.

I think I know why my mid-back is hurting. Last November I fell in the shower and banged myself up pretty good (or bad). Bill I had no propriception back then. It is hurting where I hit my back on the bottom of the tub and where I had a bruise for a week or so there. I think some of my deeper ab work is irritating that. "Oh well". I'm not going to stop just cuz.....

No sympathy or empathy from the "other party" regarding the financial issues. I was calm, pursued it again early this morning and then called the third party and told them to expect something in the mail because I was opening a claim dispute with my bank. The wheels are set in motion. I've done all I can do now. It wasn't the action I wanted to take but I tried to negotiate and they were stonewalling me. Three times. I'm moving on.

Have a great Friday! Pam
Old 07-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #159  

S/C/G: 278/274/170

Height: 5' 6.5"

Credit to me! We had birthday's today so I planned for food at work for breakfast. Used the small plate and didn't fill it up. and then we took our boss out for lunch. I stopped when full and didn't clean my plate.

Last edited by anotherchick; 07-22-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:56 PM   #160  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi Coaches,

I had some traveling to do this summer, so I got to explore the dynamics of dealing with new food situations. Even though I ate more than I would at home, I did make some good choices, such as asking for no mayo or cheese on sandwiches, taking small portions, and not eating everything on my plate.

And what has also been nice is that even though I gained a few pounds (that I recently worked really hard to lose), I don't feel like beating myself up over it. I was able to accept it as part of living my life. I know I can lose it now that I'm back to my routines. It feels calming.

Hi to everyone. I enjoy reading all your posts. Welcome back Shepardess and welcome to your sweet DD. Thanks to all of you for building this community.

Woodland
Old 07-23-2011, 12:46 AM   #161  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

another chick!

I'm new here, too. I'm feeling quite emotional and a bit bereft now that the kids are off on their adventures!

Every other thought has to do with food. I understand it totally, I know what's happening. Good thing today is day, 19: Stop fooling yourself.

My "it's not OK" response card: It's not OK to eat off-plan. You don't need that food to celebrate. You don't need it to console yourself. You can think of better things to do than eat! Remember--you cant give in to the two year old within--she doesn't know how to think long-term and you do. No excuse will do. You know the truth. If you resist the urge right now, it will be easier to do it again. You'll win--and be trim.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:12 AM   #162  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome Becky (anotherchick)

Becky (anotherchick)

And, in case you didn't get one of these last year,

How did you find out about the work of Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find this Beck Forum on 3FC?
Old 07-23-2011, 06:30 AM   #163  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Boston tied it's heat record at 103 degrees F - 'salota hot out there. DW announced that dinner would not include using the stove and, preferably, not include using the kitchen. So off we went to Whole Foods and ate from their deli and salad bar in their air-conditioned store. CREDIT moi for choosing an appropriate sized bowl of mostly veggies, including: some shredded beets, cold steamed kale, kale with avocado and onions, cold roasted zucchini and red peppers, and a 2 ounce chunk of spiced up chicken breast.

CeeJay - Yay for two weeks of playing and fun exercising. Enjoy.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Painting and scraping for exercise is noble, if unsatisfying - I know about that. Don't forget to keep yourself hydrated. One of the workmen here chastised me for not drinking enough water while I was working in the high heat.

Woodland – Yay for traveling and "new food situations" - just love being reminded how much variety there is to explore in the world. Kudos for not beating yourself up; Mush on!

maryann - Congrats on 3 pounds in 3 days - sounds like a tabloid come on, LOL. Went off to Amazon to check out Birds of America by Lorrie Moore only to discover that it wasn’t a new bird guide that I'd missed, LOL. Good luck with your plan for Santa Cruz Beach - with a plan you'll do well.

pamatga - Ouch for the most notorious Sabotaging Thought of them all, "aw, what the Hooie!!" - at least that one can be recognized as sheer bunk, of course you care and have the skills to stay the path despite awful events thrown your way. I am unable to comprehend sweat pants at this moment, LOL.

SuperChick - Kudos for recognizing that an artificial goal for the September wedding might derail you and sticking to your current 5 pound goal. [Neat idea to get a food processor to make your own nut butters. Around here, I can grind peanut butter at Whole Foods for about the same price as the roasted peanuts, so I wouldn't win. On the other hand, Pecan Butter, and Brazil nut Butter are off the wall expensive.]

Alana in Canada - Good grief - you just dispatched your two kids to the opposite coasts of Canada. Congrats for making one of life's transitions. [No blog - I'd hate to read how inefficient my own work is, LOL.]

Becky (anotherchick) - Kudos for recognizing that you need "to change your thinking" - that's one big head start in getting the Beck strategies to work for you. And Kudos for handling the lunch with your boss using stellar Beck strategies.

It might be true that your digestive system can tolerate sugar and soda, but maybe your neurons can't. Some of us find that sugar stuff introduces cravings that weren't there before. Glad you're here.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 2 Weigh yourself daily
Are you convinced yet? Here is why weighing yourself daily is so important:
Getting on the Scale.
By weighing every day, successful dieters learn how to avoid feeling disappointed, frustrated, or even overly excited when they see what the scale says. They don't view their weight as an indication that they are weak, inadequate, or out of control. They don't see weight losses as reasons to loosen up or celebrate with food. And they don't use weight gains or smaller-than-expected weight losses as reasons to fall off their diets altogether because they are confident that they know what to do to get the number on the scale moving back down again.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 58.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:28 AM   #164  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Becky(anotherchick) I really feel that immersion into Beck Diet Solution is a constructive methodology for addressing our individual roadblocks which we have concerning food. Best wishes as you start your journey.

My lack of internet has been adding to my "real life" frustrations...Our project makes progress but it's very slow and has been complicated by the urgency of removing some trees.We're not going to make our Aug 1 deadline for completion. Last eve I got a call from a sibling in crisis which is my ultimate trigger...reminding me of my own dysfunction...reminding me of a less than perfect childhood and many unfinished family projects.
Yesterday's credits
~I'm handling the "unfinished family projects" with a pretty high level of food sanity.
~it felt absolutely great to be cruising up and down a 20ft ladder to paint!(a task physically impossible 5 years ago)
~asking DH if I had time to ride my bike to the lumber yard for a part rather than jumping in the car
~saying NO CHOICE to Oreos in the cupboard
~forcing myself to fix an OP dinner despite desire to go out (definite setup for overeating)
~NO CHOICE to purchases of goodies for DH (which I knew I'd get into)

Not a perfect OP day, but good enough...lots of mindfulness.

Thanks, everyone, for thoughtful posts...yes, we are doing this together. I hope to return to personals as soon as my WiFi improves.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:02 AM   #165  
Simply Filling Technique

Thumbs up

GM and GD Dear Beck Friends!

Lexxiss
: If it is any consolation, I feel that dysfunction is the new function. There is a 12 Step saying that goes (paraphrasing here): "Your [issues, addiction, problems, dysfunction] is the open door inviting growth". I used to hate hearing things like that because I always felt being obese, sexually abused, recovering compulsive spender and eater, twice divorced, fractured relationships with nuclear family, 10 years to earn a 4 year college degree that I have never used; (you get the idea), and any other "failing" I felt anchored with was a curse and definitely not a blessing BUT, you know, every day I overcome I triumph and, gosh darn it, that feels mighty good! I feel closer to who I was meant to be before all the SH** happened. Yes, we can do this. You are doing this. Credit going your way sweetheart while you march up and down that proverbial ladder (both literally and figuratively).

BBE: My man, this god awful heat is really giving all of these a/c restaurants and grocery stores lots of $$$$ as we all march there! I haven't used the oven in almost two weeks. I remember many years ago going to the freezer section of the grocery store, opening the large door and just standing there until someone showed up in the aisle. Now, with security cameras everywhere, I would still do it. Food sounds delic!!

hey Woodland glad to hear that you are working the Beck way. Thanks for checking in and sharing. We think of you while you are out and about.

maryann for the lose. We know what to do and when we do it we are rewarded. Great Job!! Enjoy the beach.

Superchick GL on the wedding goal but if that doesn't work there is something called Spanx. I hope it's not as hot in September as it is now but it's a back up. PS, if the thought of wearing constricting undergarments suck ( I think it does), then get drunk and you won't care what any one thinks (ps --I am joking of course)

Alana in Canada: It is hard to let the babies go their way but use this time to decompress and maybe do something "wild and crazy" (private or otherwise), out of their wondering eyes!

Anotherchick (Becky): Simply said: It works if we work it. Great Job in a Great Start. Thanks for sharing!

Credit:

In spite of less than stellar food plans this past week, I finally broke the 265.6 "barrier" and weighed in less: 264.6 lbs.

What do I attribute that to? Well hydrated! All that ice chewing is still water; just in solid crunchy form. I was quite active yesterday; doing lots of housework around 11 pm and only having a cup of cheerios in the middle of night. Also, keeping up with the weight/strengthening exercises. It bears repeating here: Muscles do burn more calories!

Last week, my DH "interviewed" for our local Steinway Gallery by tuning one of their concert grands and he's in with them. The local music industry here still keeps going although it has taken some hits like many other industries nation wide. He is a free agent but GB he has been doing a lot of work all over town, including visiting performers in the different venues, during this god awful recession and this is just another one to add to his roster. Today, he tunes some floor pianos. He has been blessed with perfect pitch and still tunes aurally so I don't raise my voice with him at home. (seriously) His ears is our $$ ticket. How could I anyway? He is my dear heart and blind to my many faults. Can you tell I like him a little?

Later, we will do our weekend running, in spite of the lingering heat.

So, for 1 lb closer to my goal weight. Onward!!

Last edited by pamatga; 07-23-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Closed Thread