Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #46  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default so easy to do this

Hi Coaches

I proved to myself that I am indeed the "advertiser's dream" that DH says I am.

I had my food planned. I shared it with my coach. DH came home and said "Can you make me a couple of those sausages for dinner? I just want them on a piece of bread." OK, I can do that for my hardworking DH. So I go to the fridge, take out the food, make it and say to myself you want sausages too. It was all in a second. Actually, to be completely truthful, as soon as he asked for the food I said I want that too. I had planned a large green salad with cheese as I had a large heavy bunch of meat stuff for lunch. I am trying to keep my dinner meal light. Sausage = not light. But, I switched it and ate the sausages and forced myself to be finished with eating for the day. *credit I didn't eat more. But I was very unsatisfied with my dinner choice. I missed not having the salad and these thoughts lead directly to... feeling deprived... which leads to... poor me--I deserve.... but it didn't lead me to the food. It did lead me to marvel at how easily I am influenced to change my mind about food. The sausages were still within my food plan but this switching for no good reason can't continue. The behaviour reinforces the belief that I a) don't really have to follow a plan and b) I can think on the fly in regards to food -- ah no. I can't. I don't have "common sense" when it comes to food--I am ruled by emotion and subconscious drives. I am sure there is more to it than that but even those two are enough reason to stay on plan.

CREDITS:

staying within my foodplan parameters
eating three meals and no snacks
being social yesterday
weighing in this morning: -0.4 = 280.0lbs
being in touch with my coaches
planning my food
recording my food
no seconds
setting goals
staying positive
being honest about my food
facing my stuff instead of stuffing my face

Old 07-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #47  
wife2abadge

Height: 5'4"

pamatga -- sorry, I didn't mean to worry you! I'd say your husband's triglycerides are really high for someone who eats the way you said he does, so I'm guessing that changing his diet isn't going to help a whole lot (though I am not a doctor or a nutritionist!). I just meant that for ME, when I cut out artificial sweetener, processed foods like frozen diet meals and fat free hot dogs, and most bread/pasta/rice, my triglycerides went down.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #48  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

A stressy day….took a detour and got right back on track. I will adjust my calories for dinner after deducting the tree nuts and sugar free chocolate which were not on my plan. I did add a small green smoothie in this afternoon as my mom needed some nutrition and wouldn't drink alone. She'll have day surgery tomorrow so can't eat after 6 tonight. That healthy addition is tolerable...it washed down the unplanned food and actually helped me recommit. Credit for getting back on track and for ignoring free samples at Costco.

BillBlueEyes, thumbs up for minty fruit. I'll be one trying that, too.

CeeJay, we've been crossposting these past few days. Kudos for posting on a less than perfect day. I'm here tonight because I had a less than stellar one.

SuperChick, wow! Great use of your Beck skills during a very busy time! Have fun!

Erika(eusebius), glad to hear you've had a few days of everything just falling in place. It feels so good!

onebyone, great job negotiating around your unplanned food. It was a done deal and you moved on. I feel the same, it's important to stick to my plan. It's not always such a benign experience for me. Sometimes I'm more rational and other times not so much.

Susan(wife2abadge),

I need to do some planning tonight for tomorrow's hospital session. I guess I'm not supposed to leave the building. I didn't sleep much last night and will hope for a better night of rest, too.
ETA-I had a light dinner and made it upstairs with just my cup of peppermint tea. success!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 07-06-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:16 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello Friends

Just a short note tonight as we have overnight guests and they will be returning with DH any minute from a little boat ride up the river.

Credit today for:

- weighing in
- reading response and advantage cards
- riding exercise bike 30 minutes
- eating healthy food only
- planning tomorrow and packing lunch
- checking in with my coaches
- stopping after eating 1 piece of unplanned zucchini nut bread by asking myself what I wanted more- to polish off the loaf or to get some of this weight off. (Thank you Dr. Beck for that one).

Back to the hotel tomorrow night but I have a plan. Check back in on Friday.

Take care
Old 07-07-2011, 05:03 AM   #50  
Finding what works for me

S/C/G: 209 / 194 / 160

Height: 5' 9"

Talking Holiday today!

Morning coaches feel insanely happy today as we are going on holiday! (and I have a new surf board to take with me !!!) despite a late night and an early start, and getting soaked on the cycle to work, nothing can dint my enthusiasm! Cannot wait to go on holiday and spend some time with the boyf.

So, I weighed in this morning (credit) and have lost a further pound since Monday. This is going to be my baseline for my holiday; obviously I’d love to lose some weight whilst I’m away but in reality I’ll be happy if I can keep to this weight and not put any on. I have my Beck tools (and plenty of spare time to read my pink Beck book) and my hypnosis mp3 (which I must admit, I have been slacking with) and my scales. I am just going to try to be mindful with my food, and not listen to that sneaky sabotaging little gremlin in my head that tries to fool me into thinking it doesn’t matter because I’m on holiday. It does. I don’t want to undo all of the past few of week’s good work in a week and a half.

BBE - we’re off to Ireland in the campervan to surf my socks off and go biking if we fancy. I do not think it will be that sunny… unfortunately! I’ll have to try to stay away from the Guinness to stick within my plan!
Ceejay – good work with the planning / lunch packing. I think it definitely pays off.
Debbie – credit for getting back on track in stressful times… definitely strengthening your resistance muscle
Onebyone – good work on staying within the plan, even if it wasn’t in your planned manner. Well done for having the honesty to face up to it and tell us all.
Erika – I hear you with the link to spirituality and food. For me, if I am depressed / unhappy / stressed / not feeling good in my body then I find it had to stay on track. It seems so much easier to say what the **** and indulge my secret saboteur. And strangely, vice versa – if i am staying on track, I tend to feel much better within myself. Good luck with your spiritual path.

I probably won’t have access to the internet (I might be able to sneak a couple of peeks from the boyf’s iphone!) so I will say goodbye for now, but I’ll be back in a week or so! I’ll be thinking of you all and sending happy, positive, holiday thoughts your way! Stay strong

Last edited by SuperChick; 07-07-2011 at 05:03 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:01 AM   #51  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating on plan; CREDIT moi. The air conditioned gym, CREDIT moi, was a welcome relief from a hot afternoon that didn't break until a brief thunderstorm passed around 9 pm. It seems odd to go to the gym to cool down.

onebyone - Stop with this teasing bit, "= 280.0lbs." Kudos for "facing my stuff instead of stuffing my face". Welcome to being human, "ruled by emotion and subconscious drives."

Erika (eusebius) - Yay for remembering what adult activities are like, all too soon to be replaced with that feeling of how quickly they grew up.

CeeJay - Kudos for stopping with the zucchini nut bread. My take is that learning to stop is one powerful strategy.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Wishing both you and your mother well with her procedure today. Shaking my head at, " tree nuts ... which were not on my plan" - I know something about those, LOL.

Susan (wife2abadge) - Interesting that your triglycerides responded to cutting out the artificial stuff.

SuperChick - Waving toward Ireland, although you might not be able to hear me over the pounding surf. Yay for a new surf board - that seems like an appropriate reward for your six pounds gone.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1
The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 1
Motivate yourself daily
When to Read Your Advantages Deck
As you face the challenge of learning more Stage 1 Success Skills and begin changing what you eat in Stage 2, you will find that reading your Response Cards and Advantages Deck once in the morning is probably not enough. You will need to pull them out during the day and in the evenings to motivate yourself to do tasks you may not feel like doing. Carry duplicate sets of your Response Cards and Advantages Deck around with you - in your pocket or purse - so you always have these key motivational tools at hand.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 55.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:09 AM   #52  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

onebyone - GJ on recognizing how easily we can be swayed by sudden change of plans and how easily we can abort the best laid plans.

Erika (eusebius) - My child was born age 35. I don't remember anything that didn't involve something way beyond his age and just right for me. Now, I get a kick out of my great niece, Sadie, and chewing the tips off of her crayons.

CeeJay - I agree with Bill, the more we resist the urge to over indulge the less hold anything has on us--food et al.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Hope all goes well with mom. And you.

Susan (wife2abadge) - I got him started on fish oil capsules until he sees a doctor regarding this. He just may have to give up his occasional fudge, Kit Kat bars and microwave popcorn. Until we see how he responds to this, we really don't know how strict he will have to go. I told him take the capsules, continue with the Omega-3 eggs we eat and we'll see what the doctor says.

SuperChick - So, you are also a surfer chick too, huh? My DH talks fondly of his trip to Ireland. He owes me one.

Credit:

Facing the tough stuff then going to bed. Literally. Naps are my way of checking out when I can sleep. Only had 1 hour tonight but I won't go there.
Getting back with my free weight routine after last week's pulled muscle. Now, I did the shoulder ones too quickly and strained the bottom part of my shoulder blade. When will I learn?
When having a restaurant-sized meal, automatically putting half of it into a container before even eating the other half. New strategy. No questions asked. No arguments with self. Just do it.
Enjoying summer programming including some favorites on the History International Channel. Great distraction which I really need right now. We've been going from the frying pan to the fire for the past nine months and we are battle weary. Laughter is indeed the best medicine.
No excuses on anything. Facing what I can head on but will sure be glad when it is all over.

Take care all, Pam

Last edited by pamatga; 07-07-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:33 AM   #53  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Morning Coaches/Buddies!

Didn't end up going to the movies after all. I got nervous that I wouldn't get enough practice time in. I am taking all of next week off from playing to go to a meditation retreat, so I feel like my time this week is at a premium.

Yesterday was OP and I did an extended qi gong session - credit.

Bit of a headache this morning - ouch. New glasses are on order ...

onebyone - well done getting back on track after the sausages! Interesting insights about thoughts, emotions and food. I can relate.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - kudos for adjusting and staying OP! Best wishes for your mom's surgery today.

CeeJay - you're doing amazingly well on vacation! Kudos!

SuperChick - have a wonderful holiday!! Kudos for consistent weight loss and Beck behaviours leading up to it.

BillBE - yay for OP eating and air conditioned gyms!

pamatga - interesting, my daughter was born when I was 34 ... Kudos for all that credit-worthy behaviour and I hope your shoulder feels better quickly.

Wishing everyone a great day,

Erika

Read ARC: yes
Sat down to eat: yes
Gave myself credit: yes
Walking: no
Qi Gong: yes (40 min)
Old 07-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #54  
persist

Cool Thursday

Hi Coaches

The plan today is to keep doing what I'm doing. I have my source material for my next painting all ready. All I need now is to carry my equipment to the backyard and get the watch and give myself 2 hours to do it. Seems good! At the jazz festival where I will show my stuff at the end of July I have agreed to create a painting each day, from start to finish in two hours. the resulting Art will be sold in that evening's silent art auction. I paint from 5-7 on Saturday and 3-5 on Sunday. I figured that since I agreed to do this I'd better practice so I challenged myself to start yesterday and the results made me happy. I worked from 1-3 and finished a large 24 x 30 canvas. It was a lot larger than what I thought I could make in that time frame. I even *credit* worked up a sweat. I'm off to do the same today but hope to have two paintings completed by this evening. I am also doing this to built stock for all those shows! yikes. So many of them coming up... with a few ceramic guild duties sprinkled in too.

*credit for weighing in today = no change = 280lbs
* credit for staying on plan yesteday though I did, once more, change my planned food but kept to within my plan.
*credit for checking in with coaches

Lexxiss Thinking of you and your mom today. I am hoping really really hard that all goes well. Sending you a big

eusebius I am considering going to a retreat in September. I've never done that before...it feels scary to me! Good job taking care of yourself btw -- credit.

pamatga Here's hoping the sandman visits you tonight. I admire your persistence to keep on trying to move your body in ways that don't hurt it. Often if I feel pain I will just give it all up. All or nothing thinking is a frequent mental menace of mine. Kudos for just moving forward. Also, you are my inspiration to keep working on getting out of these darn 270/280 brackets. Well, right now I'd love to see 278! The 279-283's have got me in their sticky clutches. Time to break free. By the end of the summer my plan is to be around 268. I am keeping that in my mind's eye.

BillBlueEyes *insert exasperated smiley face here--280 again.* I laughed when you reminded me how very human I am. Shocking. *credit for cooling off at the gym while working up a sweat vs. eating something cold to cool off. Excellent.

Gotta go. Enjoy Thursday!
Old 07-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #55  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Default Preliminary Results: OP Day

Hi Coaches!

My mom's appointment went well. It's amazing these days...they removed a gallstone from her bile duct in a 40 minute procedure with a scope. Hopefully she'll start feeling better now.

My initial thought today was to eat at the hospital cafeteria...but I took time and thought it through. I decided instead to to bring my own salad with my favorite Thai Trail Mix (tree nuts) portioned out along with my favorite salad dressing, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Once she was settled, I found a lounge and set up for lunch. I made a point to eat very slowly and was happy for my choice. *credit* I did, however, check out the vending machines. Don't know why..perhaps just to verify what I already know..there's not much there that will contribute to my being thinner.

Whole Foods was out of spaghetti squash the other day and I panicked. I was pleased to find them(organic) at another store today and bought 5. I don't want to run out of my favorite healthy food. I may get back for personals...right now I need to wind down and prepare for dinner. It's planned, prepared and just needs to be heated. *credit*.

Thanks for all your supportive thoughts for my mom.

BillBlueEyes, we have had some incredible cloudbursts in Denver...not enough to water the lawn 18 miles West. *credit* for OP food and exercise.

CeeJay, your river trip sure sounded enjoyable. Yay for a travel plan and see you Friday.

SuperChick, well planned have fun! I hope you sneak in on BF's phone.

Pam(pamatga), great idea prepacking half of your dinner out! I'm sure it's been said before, but it's the first time it registered in my brain. What a great strategy. *credit* for Beck behaviors in multiples and sending you sleepy thoughts.

Erika(eusebius), your mentioning practice time brought memories of piano lessons and childhood…*credit* for OP and qi gong!

onebyone, your paintings sound spectacular! I wish I were closer so I could buy one...perhaps with a personal touch… big sunflowers?? *credit* for OP eating, even if it included a change. It's good to practice OP switches, too.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 07-07-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:37 AM   #56  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

Lexxiss Glad to hear that the procedure went well for your Mom. I had my gallbladder removed in 1992.
Onebyone I have never heard of any kind of art exhibit (other than performance art) that "demanded" you create within a given time frame. How creative can that be? I wish you all the best in getting your work in the hands of paying customers! Bah humbug on being a "starving artist".
Eusesibus I hope to attend a women's retreat in October (the one I missed in April). I am sure you will enjoy it. I have always been one seeking deeper meaning in life. I have found it. It was worth the search.
CeeJay and BBE-GJ on OP eating in spite of the heat and other "distractions"--especially the ones good for us like "downtime" and "getting fit time".

My Biggest Credit:

Injured my lower shoulder blade muscle(there's an anatomical name for it but it escapes me right now) doing upper body work out too fast. Mea culpa. I do know better. So, I spent the majority of yesterday in bed with my DH applying Icy Hot liberally all over my back whenever I got up to take more pain meds.
"The spirit is (more than) willing but the flesh (my flesh) is (definitely) weak."
I know what I used to be capable of in the past and my enthusiasm pushes me too far too fast. Progress is zig zag at best but I love how I feel as my body responds so I am continuing today---albeit very slowly.

I definitely feel stronger and more sure-footed since this new recommitment in June. I missed no days in the month of June! However, both knees remain permanently swollen every day upon waking. It just is. I'm taking mental note but I am not allowing that to sway me.

Now, as I am moving towards my fourth month of "Beck Plus" Diet I have seen a real change in how I relate to food. It is much more calm and sane because I am much more calm and sane. These are all my emotional strengths.* Log everything I eat every day no matter what.
* Eat everything mindfully as part of a planned meal sitting down (even if it is often at my computer).
* I do not eat over my problems. No I do not. I may do other things but eating is not one of them. What do I do? Take a hot shower. Take a nap. Play online card games. Watch both humorous (I recommend!) and "educational" tv programming. Plan my schedule to minimize stress. Gets too stressful, cancel. No choice!
*Detach from the process so I can see what I am doing well and how I can do things even better.

What I would like to improve on in the future:
*Eating less calories so my weight lose would be more substantial.
*Stepping up the aerobic part of my work outs.

Last edited by pamatga; 07-08-2011 at 02:42 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:14 AM   #57  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - While out for a walk (CREDIT moi) I dropped by a Panera Bread to get their menu. Nice place, but I had an AWFUL experience. I was mesmerized by their automatic electric bread slicing machine; watched the clerk put two loaves through it. For each one she threw away the two end slices!!! They were for their deli to use for sandwiches, so ends weren't useful. But I love bread ends for my peanut butter sandwiches. I'm wondering if I can ask them to sell me a loaf made entirely of ends.

Also had one of those experiences that remind me that I'm not qualified to be a shopper. A store had some large plastic containers on sale. Caught my attention since I have some more stuff to clear out of here for the painters. The sign said, "18 gallon size - 2/$10, 72 quart size - 2/$12" - sending my brain into gridlock as I desperately tried to calculate the difference.

onebyone - Yes, "280" - we've met before. Kudos for staying on your plan. I think that 2 hour painting deadline presents an interesting challenge. Good luck.

Erika (eusebius) - Yep, movies will be there another week. Fun to think you're getting a whole week off for a retreat. Kapalua center?

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yay for a 40 minute procedure and then done. Kudos for keeping sane while waiting in a hospital. LOL at checking out the vending machines. I'll explain why you did that as soon as I figure out why was I in Panera Bread yesterday.

pamatga - Ouch for feeling "battle weary" with Kudos for charging forth nevertheless. And Double Ouch for any muscle injury near the rotator cuff; only worth getting that injured if you're a major league baseball pitcher making $10M a year. I like your clarity, "Gets too stressful, cancel. No choice!"

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1
The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 1
Motivate yourself daily

tip: Some dieters find
it helpful to list advantages on
their computer wallpaper or
screen saver; to keep a paper
list in their wallet, on their
refrigerator, or in their desk
drawer; or to note them in their
appointment book or PDA.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 55.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:25 AM   #58  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Morning Coaches/Buddies!

Might get to go to the movies today. I need to plan carefully so I don't give in to cravings for popcorn, etc. We'll see.

Yesterday was very productive - council meeting for our Shambhala group, a rehearsal with a baritone for Die schφne Mόllerin in the fall, and I finished sewing a knit top for my daughter. Also got in an unexpected 25-minute walk when I couldn't get a ride home from the meeting. It was a beautiful day, so I didn't mind at all and the exercise never hurts.

onebyone - very cool that you can create something so big & interesting in such a short amount of time! Would love to see pics ...

Debbie (Lexxiss) - glad to hear your mom got some answers and hopefully improvement in her condition. Well done bringing salad to the hospital and eating mindfully!

pamatga - you really have developed some strong Beck behaviours ... yay for being more calm and sane - what could be better? :banana:

BillBE - I think I'll start mailing you all the ends from our loaves of bread, LOL. Our retreat is at the Shambhala centre in Mississauga (suburb of Toronto) - not an exotic location by any means, but it will be a very pleasant place to meditate.

Wishing everyone a great day,

Erika

Read ARC: yes
Sat down to eat: yes
Gave myself credit: yes
Walking: yes
Qi Gong: yes (short session)
Old 07-08-2011, 10:02 AM   #59  
persist

Thumbs up Toot! Toot!

Hi Coaches!

Tooting my own horn this morning!
*credit for weighing in (-2.4) = 278!! *phew* the 270's DO exist for me.
I really watched my food yesterday and did not eat after 6pm. I painted outside for about 6hrs and came in completely exhausted. I am leaving my every emotion on that canvas. I'm feeling much more grounded and more myself than I have in months and months. Feels great. I completed another painting yesterday and am 2/3 through another. I need to keep going and start another one. I am aiming for 10-15 large paintings for my shows. If I can have that my booth will be spectacular. I can already see that. So great! I no longer want to hold back. I want to give it my all.

Not coincidentally, I attended my 3rd Overeaters Anonymous meeting last night. The freeing up of my energy and the calming down of my food and the re-commitment to the meetings are all connected. I need as much support as I can get to get this weight off. Such an old rock. This weight has been my burden since I was 8 yrs old. I'm ready to remove the rock.

Ok I just attached jpg's of my two new paintings. The Trio (of birds) was done in two hours. And Obey The Crown was painted yesterday. I didn't time it. I think it was around three hours, could have been four. A good friend when I previewed them to him said "I'd pay to have the cat but pay to keep those birds away from me! That painting makes me feel like a worm." Funny. Made me laugh... means there's some good emotional energy in them! Yay!

Time to go Coaches. Thanks, as always for being here.

eusebius Credit for unexpected exercise and an unplanned enjoyment of a nice day!

BillBlueEyes hmmmm. 2 cups = 1 pint. 2 pints = 1 gallon. So. 72 pints / 2 = 36 gallons? I just found a conversion website and it's asking for liquid vs dry gallons/pints. Yikes. No wonder the signage is confusing. The basice units of measurment are whacked out. did you see that number? it's NOT 280...shhhhh... don't want to scare it

pamatga You have such a solid plan of action. Big Credit for working it!
I am also committed to not eating over problems. This week I took a book to bed just to get away from the fridge. You do what you need to do to protect your OP day.I do wish your body a speedy recovery. It has NO CHOICE but to get stronger

LexxissVery happy to hear the good news re: your mom's surgery and your coping. *credit for taking the time to plan and enjoy your food. There was a hospital in Ottawa that had the single best scones in the whole city. My friend and I used to sell our goods in the hospital lobby sometimes and we were crazy for the hospital food. Go figure. BTW I don't usually paint flowers--mostly do crazy animals--but I may take your sunflower suggestion as a challenge! If I paint it I'll post a jpg.

Have a great FRIDAY!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg theTrio.jpg (32.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg obeythecrown.jpg (37.4 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by onebyone; 07-08-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #60  
Green Tomatoes

I'm not weighing myself daily, not posting here daily, and my eating's getting sloppier by the day. If I start doing the first two, I know that the last one will get better, too! Moving in the right direction...

onebyone: love the pictures! They both made me smile.
Closed Thread