Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 11:33 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hi. Just a quick check in this morning.

Credit yesterday for:

- weighing in
- riding exercise bike 30 minutes
- doing resistance band exercises for shoulders and arms
- eating healthy and on plan
- checking in with my coaches
- reading response and advantage cards

I am doing it coaches!!!

Wishing you all a happy day.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning!
I successfully left Goddard with handsful of books, assignments and good will. It was very successful and I think I can be successful this semester. We return in January for the next stage. Although the net loss for the week I was there was only mayb .5lbs, I feel extremely successful to not have obsessed with food, exercised, eaten healthy and kept wheat free! I am now in DC visiting an old college friend. We will head to Bethany Beach, Delaware. as soon as the traffic clears. OP last nite and today. Feels good. Exercise 210 mins already whcih is my week's goal. Credit.
Alana in Canada: Welcome.
gardenerjoy: Big. Big! credits for goal. I hope one day to follow in your footsteps. If you can do it, so can I.
Pamatga/Wife2abadge: I am absolutely in agreement about less grains and triglecyrides. This no wheat has really helped me.
Lexxiss: I like the idea of a flush but not too drastic.
BBE: How is Boston on the Fourth?

Last edited by maryann; 07-02-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #18  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default *deep breath*

Hi Coaches

I've been super-emotional this weekend. I know it's because I've been missing Ottawa as it was all over the news with Canada Day and the royals and all that. I was thinking of how everyone I know would have dealt with the hubbub and of what I would have wanted to do (be in the middle of it!). The fireworks here were pretty good though. can't fault this town. They lasted 25min and there have been years in Ottawa where they were 15min so I was happy with them. But coaches, we sat in the parking lot of a Costco, in the back end of a GIANT big box complex to view the fireworks which burst overtop of the Home Depot store. Can I find myself deeper that that in suburbia I wonder?? I don't think so. Cars, parking lots, big box stores. It wears me out this stuff.

I think I am also just feeling things more right now as I am simply not eating my feelings down anymore. It's just the way it is. I need to come to some kind of acceptance of my new life here. I am fighting it every inch of the way.

Today's food has been rough. Even the wiif fit weigh-in was wonky. I got on and it said -6.4lbs. I thought NO WAY so I re-weighed and it said +6.4lbs from the last weigh in (huh.). So I did it one more time and it said -0.4lbs. So I am taking that and giving myself the 0.4lb loss (279.4lbs). Tomorrow's weigh-in will give me more information.

I did get DH a book with a store credit I had. I am trying to get inspired to make a card but I'm really low in creative energy. I am almost empty-void of it. We're going to DH's mom's for his birthday tomorrow afternoon (she's checked in twice about what I can and can't eat) and I found out DH's sister and BIL will be there too so... so what? Hopefully it'll be a nice event. I'll deal with the food issues or food conversations/questions if they come up but I won't worry about that in advance. I want this to be a nice day for DH.

Have a good evening coaches.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:53 PM   #19  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I'm back to sporadic internet in direct relation to traffic headed to and from the beautiful Colorado Rockie Mtns for the holidays. I'll just post when I can. Update: I have decided to do brunch with mom tomorrow despite my desire to really simplify my food plan for a few days. She has some legitimate medical stress right now (something showed up on her CT scan which could be a tumor). She cried today and it's just not worth it for her to sit at home tomorrow just because I don't want to go. I'll plan and be careful. *credit* for flexibility today and for a successful breakfast out and a bike ride to get there.

BillBlueEyes, thx for the reminder that brownies do not cure tension...remembering that applies to choc covered almonds, too. Remembering, too, that I'm coming to your neighborhood when I visit Boston.

gardenerjoy, belated congrats! on your official ticker goal weight and for making your June exercise minutes.

CeeJay, kudos for "doing it"!

maryann, congrats on a successful week at Goddard, both with your writing program and with your food and exercise. BTW-Fat Flush is just "another plan" which emphasizes healthy foods and watching carb intake. Her protocol includes specific beverages (cleansing) throughout the day.

onebyone, sending supportive thoughts this weekend as you feel your feelings without food. It is a step forward.

Pam(pamatga), sending supportive thoughts as your DH digests medical news.

Have a happy 4th everyone! I love fireworks but my pup hates them so tomorrow will be a mixed bag.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:36 AM   #20  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Pasta Prima Vera on the patio for diner after an on-plan day; CREDIT moi. Especially pleased to ignore the brownies that still remain. I gotta get back to thinking of stuff like that as Not About Me. We're still having cool nights even as I read about 118 degrees Fahrenheit in Phoenix.

Gym was good after missing a session this week when I stayed home while a contractor was working. Picked up a FREE granola sample; think I'll have it for breakfast - like a trophey, LOL. Not many folks at gym on a good weather Fourth of July weekend.

Anne (WonderAnne) - Waving. Hope you missed that 118 over in Phoenix - or at least weren't in the midst of one of your marathon bicycle rides.

onebyone - Ouch for Canada Day dredging up the emotions of your move. Perhaps there's a certain amount of that you have to go through - like grieving - so it's well to get some more of it done to free youself to keep making your new life. Congrats for working out that book idea for your DH's birthday.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Ouch for the heat on your day out. Looks like there were record heat days in a few places. [Yay for continuing just what you're doing. Yep, that's what I did, so I'm prejudiced, LOL.]

CeeJay - Oh Yes you certainly are, "I am doing it coaches!!!" Hoping you have the long weekend without hotels.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Sending supportive thoughts to you and your mom as you work with the new CT information. Love the thought of Fourth of July in the Rocky Mountains. [Yep, chocolate covered almonds don't cure tension either, LOL. I know - I've tried.]

maryann - Monster Congrats for your Goddard successes - both your creative writing and creatively staying your path. [Boston does Fourth of July fireworks seriously. The Boston Globe carries several days of pictures of the barges in the Charles River being prepared with the massive fireworks.]

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1
The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 1
Motivate yourself daily
Emily's Advantages List

Start thinking about all of the reasons you want to lose weight. Most dieters can easily come up with 15 to 20 reasons. Here are the reasons one dieter, Emily, put on her initial list:
. . .. . .
  • I'll be a good role model for my kids.
  • I won't feel inhibited when I'm intimate with my husband.
  • I'll feel in control of myself and my eating.
  • I'll be proud of myself.
. . .. . .
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 54.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:30 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Here on the Delaware Shore. Beach towns are scaled down from my experience on the west coast beaches where everything is much more Hollywood-ized. Still it is nice and packed with people for the holidays. Lots of chances for spontaneous walking and I stuck to three moderate meals only with a snack so the scale went slight down slightly from the 3lbs up of a sushi dinner and a few rees' pieces three nites before. All told - 2 pounds from ticker. I know the scale is just information and I know I say this a million times a month but it is unbelievable often how little I can eat and how much exercise I must do to just maintain. But facts are facts. I can't turn back the clock and live old patterns. Acceptance is the key. If I maintain through this trip I can look at the plan when I get back into a routine.
Good to be with an old friend. We talk for hours.
onebyone: I can hear your loneliness for your old place. It sounds like a difficult time right now.
Lexxiss: I can completely understand you desire to make it easy with food and yet being drawn into a food heavier situation with your mom. There is no easy answer. Good Luck.
BBE: Right on about telling the brownies "You ain't my business, brother."

Last edited by maryann; 07-03-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #22  
Green Tomatoes

Our hot outing went fine yesterday, with lots of breaks in the shade and a few in cool buildings. Hope the Canadians and USians are all having terrific holiday weekends! Ours is going to be quiet and uneventful and I'm quite pleased with that.

WI: NA kgs, Exercise: +40 90/1300 minutes for June, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

CeeJay: yay for all the credits and this: "I am doing it coaches!!!"

maryann: so glad that the Goddard experience was rewarding and set you on a path to success

onebyone: sympathies for the pain of transition, and good job letting yourself feel it. Hope you find your way to some form of acceptance without surrender, soon. Perhaps you can channel the resistance into art?

Lexxiss: Yes, credit for flexibility and being there for your mom when that's what you need for yourself, too. Hope all goes well with that.

BillBlueEyes: Yay for "Pasta Prima Vera on the patio" and gym on the holiday weekend!

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 07-03-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hi everyone. Hope you all are well.

Credit yesterday for:

- weighing in
- riding exercise bike 30 minutes
- checking in with my coaches
- reading response and advantage cards

No credit for:

- eating on plan all day and then caving at Tim Horton's on the way home from the concert last night (The Black Keys- excellent- rock and roll lives!!!) and instead of eating the planned yogurt and berries and decaf coffee it was decaf coffee and Tim Bits. Darn those stupid things and darn me for not practising resistance. No damage on the scale but still not great. I really don't want to eat that junk anymore. Next time I go through the drive-thru where there are no visuals.

Oh well, moving on with a good plan for today.

Take Care
Old 07-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #24  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I thought I'd check in while I have a connection. Brunch went remarkably well. I planned ahead of time;
~no sugar
~no dairy
~no caffeine
~no grains
I stuck with my plan by reminding myself "I'd rather be thinner" and I put my blinders on as we walked out the door which took us right through the desserts with stray cookies just waiting to tag along with us. *credit* for willingness to put my Beck behaviors to good use. Exercise, so far, is 5 minutes on the rebounder, 1/2 hr. weeding in the yard and I will say NO CHOICE and get on my bike later.

BillBlueEyes, kudos for an on-plan day! Yay for untouched brownies. I didn't touch one today, either. How was that trophy granola?

maryann, yay for spontaneous walking and 3 moderate meals. You said, "I can't turn back the clock and live old patterns." Wow! I hear ya there. Acceptance is the key. thx

gardenerjoy, thanks for checking in even though your day was "quiet and uneventful".

I picked up a new load of books at the library and I'm determined to read "eating mindfully" by susan albers today. I'd like to keep my head in the right place today.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 07-03-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #25  
persist

Default Sunday and looking to the week ahead

Hi Coaches

Okay. I weighed in *credit* and it was up 1.3lbs to bring me to 280.7. Since I want to continue the steady march downward I ahve to get back to some portion control. I was really focused on the type of food I was eating not so much the quantity. I need to work both ends of this.

We went to MIL's place for lunch. I am nto eating bread, and she was told this by DH but she's garbled he message to be I am not eating white bread. So she made super delicious multigrain baguette bruschettas just for me. I'm not kidding. They were just for me. I ate them. 5 slices/half a baguette. I don't think they trigger me to overeat or to crave off plan food and I don't think it's worth the fuss to "straighten her out" as I would have felt in my younger more feistier days. She's trying. She doesn't have to do that so I appreciate the effort.

I need to focus on my artwork now. I think it's three weeks to the first art show I've been in in a year. My environment here is really a disaster still and I sure don't feel ready to get working. I need to set aside an appointed time each day to tackle the house. It's getting ridiculous that I can't manage this place. I just have to deal with it. Maybe I can enlist the help of my new friend. I should ask. Maybe she's a whiz at all that?

Anyway, I'm trying to move forward. Thanks for supporting me coaches.

UPDATE: AAARRRGH! I fell into a mason jar 2/3 full of marinated mushrooms, olives, tomatoes and onions. There may have been sugar in the oily mix too. I didn't stop eating them until they were done and now the jar is empty. MIL sent us home with this food and a bunch of other food but I thought I was "safe" from it as it was all veggies. I remember thinking I can have a few of the mushrooms...and I can't wait to taste them... and I ate a long time ago it's ok if I have a few. Ha! Guess I was wrong. It's not the food- it's my thinking. I think I also felt frustrated all day with my weight and feeling so f-a-t still and self conscious again as I met new people once more.

How can it be that at the same time I think
I CAN'T WAIT TO GET THIS WEIGHT OFF
and
I'LL JUST HAVE A FEW. IT'S OK.

*sigh*

a demain.

Last edited by onebyone; 07-03-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #26  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

Sorry I didn't post yesterday but I have been sitting down propping my left leg up on a footstool icing my knee then the rest of my leg (from mid thigh down to mid calf my left leg has been noticeably swollen). It has taken me 36+ hours to get where I can put weight back on it. I am not sure what happened but I am self-treating that and scrapping all former plans this weekend. "Oh well", right?

Alana from Canada We have several others representing your country here so now you are adding more flavor to the pot!

gardenerjoy big time for your ticker moving to goal weight. You do a great job of working your program and sharing that with all of us.

wife2abadge Now you've got me worried. My DH (his triglycerides are 774) does not eat processed foods, nor artificial sweetners (he has PKU and they contain phenlyketonurics--a type of protein toxic to his blood) and the only carb he eats too much of is white potatoes, although he has been eating normal portions in the past month. He loves vegetables and eats them by the bucket load. He does not have much of a sweet tooth. I am having him pick up some fish oil capsules tonight and I want him to start with that. He will take his lab test results with him when he finally sees a doctor about his skin cancer. Being I am the one who is the "lifetime" dieter and he is at the high range of overweight, I am not sure how much tweaking we can do of his diet. He eats very healthy. His blood sugar is normal. So, what do you mean "no grains"? How does grains affect your triglycerides? Please tell me more. He eats what I eat when we eat at home and he is the one who misses lunch when he is working. Should he continue to eat whole wheat toast and Raisin Bran?

Well, by the sound of it all of you Canadians are really enjoying this weekend and all the media attention. I hope it brings in lots of much needed $$$ for everyone! I heard that Will n Katherine's wedding brought in $6B to London and England overall.

onebyone I went through a grieving when I moved and then I watched (feeling somewhat helpless as my DH did as well). He had to decline going to a family reunion back in MN this weekend and all day today he has been looking at the clock and saying what he thinks is happening right now. My heart is with you.

Lexxiss Prayers to your mom and hope the results are "nothing" or if "something", something that can be fixed quickly. I am very worried about my Dad right now. I am praying that he is placed into assisted living. My sister and I don't see it equally but he is nearly blind and I am fearful if he falls, it could be deadly. They (our parents) worried about us when we were little and now it is our turn.

Yes, I will make sure that I have someone take a picture of me in the Norwegian bunad. The making of the costume is coming along quite well. I am quite pleased with it thus far.

I heard this on the NPR the other day (and it is so true) "Atlanta is the city where you drive someplace to go for a walk!" That was one of the first things my DH and I noticed when we moved here 7 1/2 years ago. We used to routinely take a walk after our evening meal. I know that is one reason why my regular exercise outdoors back in MN became infrequent moving here. Now, we have to make a concerted effort to get that activity in.

As for me, I can barely put any weight on my left leg so I am going no farther than the loveseat to watch oodles of pre-recorded programs from the past month.

Credit
: At my insistence I began learning to read the "Liturgy of the Hours" which is the daily prayer book used by priests, the religious (nuns, brothers, monks and deacons) and, yes, the lay Carmelites. I would like to have my DH be my "formation director" but if they won't allow that then I will go with someone else. This is prayed 3x a day and includes antiphons, psalms, singing a hymn, scriptural reading and intercessions. It has such a calming affect on me already. It is like a "let's stop now and be quiet" type of spoken out loud meditation. Always good for the soul. Maryann and eusebius know what I mean. Feeding our spirits.

Hello woodland, silverbirch, ceejay and annewonder....if I missed anyone else, hello to you as well.

Peace and love this holiday weekend, Pam

Last edited by pamatga; 07-03-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:46 AM   #27  
Finding what works for me

S/C/G: 209 / 194 / 160

Height: 5' 9"

Good Morning Coaches, and happy Independence Day to all the Americans among us. Quite the holiday weekend in North America!

I am a bit pushed for time this morning so will just post a quick update then try to get back for personals tonight – I’ve scanned through the weekends posts and there’s too much to condense!

So, credit 1 – I weighed in this morning at the end of my second week and I’m 2lb down! This takes me to my first 5lb goal! super happy about this, as I was a little worried following a slightly off-plan weekend. Credit 2 – despite a busy weekend I managed to plan my meals for today and prep them last night. Following all my planning, I managed to forget the scales so was on the back foot before I’d even started! Luckily I had museli in snack sized boxes so I could estimate a ‘normal’ portion for my plan. I followed most of the rules I tried to put in place – I made on plan meal choices, only had bananas as energy food on my mountain bike rides and just about managed to record what I was eating. Credit 3. I didn’t, however, remember to read my ARC from my blackberry, or stick to one glass of wine on Saturday night… I did a lot of exercise (~4hrs each day) which caused me to eat more than my plan allows (although it does say if you’re active to add a couple of extra carb / protein servs) – I still think I could have done slightly better with some things. I’m sure when we go on holiday next week I will be able to get into a slightly better routine.

Have a good Monday all and I’ll check back later.

P.S. One quick personal – well done Gardener joy!!!!! Target weight deserves a massive celebration and a non-food treat
Old 07-04-2011, 06:03 AM   #28  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday - The Fourth of July

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Ahhh, success breeds success. After stiffing that brownie the other day - that homemade brownie brought over by a friend - I decided to stick firmly to my plan and ignore the treats available at a coffee hour yesterday. That turned out to be two of the outrageous delicious, as well as outrageously expensive, chocolate cakes from the local top shelf dessert establishment. Folks who wouldn't usually have any were going back for seconds. My DW offered me a bite from her plate - my normal way of having just a taste. But I refused both cakes as well as my wife's kind offering; CREDIT moi, CREDIT moi. My resistance muscle needed a little strengthening; I had been drifting a bit. During my loosing period, having absolutely no dessert was just the way I lived. I turned down EVERYTHING. So, it was good to get a taste of that former focus.

Took a walk, CREDIT moi, to the supermarket. I was expecting mobs on the day before the Fourth, but found it nearly empty. I suppose everyone was already at the beach.

onebyone - Kudos for threading your way through the situation with your MIL to keep your DH's birthday party a joyful event. Big Ouch for the marinated veggies; I agree, probably not a lot of calories, but the old neurons need to remember that Sabotaging Thoughts are just Sabotaging Thoughts.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for "quiet and uneventful" - a little restoration is a good thing.

CeeJay - Yep, Tim Bits are evil little things (donut holes for those in the U.S. who don't get to Tim Horton's). They look like one would be OK to eat. But that one drags along a friend, who has friends also. Many can disappear quickly.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Just love the word sequence, "went remarkably well. I planned ahead" - planning just seems to work. [Trophy granola was tasty - certainly worth the price, LOL.]

sliverbirch – Waving. You could be celebrating today that King George arranged that you're not responsible for any mess the U.S. finds itself in these days, LOL.

maryann - I need to be reminded, "Acceptance is the key." My brain still carries fantasies of how I could live if I were a teenager: eat whatever, stay up all night anytime, and stay in shape with minimal exercise. Those days, if they ever existed, are gone.

pamatga - Ouch for those leg and knee issues; glad to hear that you're back to being able to put weight on it. LOL at "drive someplace to go for a walk!" That does seem like an oxymoron.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1
The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 1
Motivate yourself daily
Emily's Advantages List

Start thinking about all of the reasons you want to lose weight. Most dieters can easily come up with 15 to 20 reasons. Here are the reasons one dieter, Emily, put on her initial list:
. . .. . .
  • I'll enjoy going shopping.
  • I'll feel more comfortable socially.
  • My mother will stop nagging me.
  • I'll be able to go hiking with my family.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 54.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:25 AM   #29  
Green Tomatoes

Happy Independence Day to the USians among us! We have nowhere to go, which is good. I keep telling myself. Normally, we would have a family gathering that would involve too much of the wrong kinds of food and too many dangerous interactions with fire and explosives. It's not happening this year and I thought I was glad about that. If it were on the schedule, I would be complaining about it. Since it's not on the schedule, I find myself inclined to complain about the lack of it. Apparently, I have a skill in the area of complaining. Oh well. I'm going to enjoy my quiet day. I'm going to write and do qi gong and eat healthy foods. So yay!
Old 07-04-2011, 09:25 PM   #30  
persist

Post Happy 4th!

Hi Coaches

I spent the day at home today. I woke up with indigestion and felt crummy in general. *credit for weighing in: +2.6 = 283.3 =the results of eating salty food after 11pm.

*credit: Today I was extra careful. I made a slow cooker meal and really wanted seconds, but I pictured how bloated I would feel so I didn't do it. I stuck to my one bowl. Portion control is emotionally tough for me right now. Conversely, I feel open and vulnerable and I have a hunch that I have a golden opportunity right now to actually heal my relationship with food and I am going to pursue it. This new place where I live has TONS of resources for therapy and groups and extra support. I think, for me, I am going to need these extra things to truly heal from my eating compulsions and behaviours. I am so totally serious about getting past these issues I can hardly stand it. I don't think I can do it on my own. I think I am at a place where it would do me a world of good. I am also fortunate through DH's job to have excellent health coverage. It's never been like this before so I need to use it as someday we may not have that--but it's there now.

So that's how I am today.

To those in the US of A, I hope you had a good holiday today!

Bye for now.

Last edited by onebyone; 07-05-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Closed Thread