Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #166  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I'm having an old problem recently of wanting to "take advantage" of times I'm alone to overeat. I'm not sure why that is revisiting right now. Definitely one of the behaviors that kept me so overweight for so long. CREDIT for weighing myself every day, anyway.

WI: +0.25 kgs, Exercise: +40 845/1300 minutes for June and 25/33 miles on treadmill, Food: 60%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Welcome, anotherchick!
Old 07-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #167  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Default Saturday am

Good morning and happy weekend, everyone!

Just to clarify--the kids will be back! They are still young, 13 (son) and almost 11 (daughter). They are just at camp.

My nephew is with me again today--we're off to the library soon for story-time. Haven't done that in a long time.

*credit* weighed in this morning. Still under 250.
*credit* made my plan last night. It is getting easier. Still, eating so many veggies takes time.--and a clean cutting board! My kitchen counter space is nearly non-existent--especially when the dishes pile up as our "dishwasher" is fully manual.

BUT, my skin looks amazing.

gardenerjoy--exactly of whom are you taking advantage? Remember, you are still watching you!

pamatga--I admire you for never raising your voice. For me, that would be exceedingly difficult! Congrats on the loss!

Lexxiss--congrats on your credits. I especially love picturing you clambering up and down the ladder.

BBE--great food choices! Good for you.

woodland--I'm happy to hear you aren't beating yourself up! Routines are calming, aren't they. Nice to "meet" you.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:51 PM   #168  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi Coaches,

Thanks, Alana, nice to meet you too. I spent some time reading your blog last night. Well written and thought provoking. Enjoyed it.

Organizing is very important to keeping me calm. (yeah, I have some OCD tendencies). Tonight I realized that how I had my food listed in my calorie spreadsheet was annoying. Isn't it amazing how one little thing can seem to make dieting harder? So I put it back in a more logical order and feel much better. My relationship with my spreadsheet might be verging on dysfunctional

Did everything on my list to do. Credit. Heard "no choice" a few times, since I thought about eating more than I had planned. That helped.

Thanks for welcoming my back when my usually lurking self feels like popping in and speaking.

Woodland
Old 07-24-2011, 12:22 AM   #169  
Starting over

Woodland--that's kind of you to say. Thanks for reading.

I miss my excercise. Odd. I haven't been able to work it in for the last few days--I hope I can tomorrow. I picked up a book on Joesph Pilates and his "Contrology" method at the library today. Looking forward to reading that. When I'm done, I feel better informed about how to pick out a video to work along with.

I can't remember what I came here to say! I must be more tired than I thought. G'night, all.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:38 AM   #170  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

As suspected, I haven't been able to get a connection until just now...and it's still slow..it's taken 20 minutes to get loaded up. Our problem is that our little town swells with tourists, especially on the weekend. The cell towers can't handle the load. Today we had 3000 bicylists in town for a ride to the top of Mt. Evans. You couldn't find a parking place anywhere!(Our town is 3 blocks wide and 3 miles long)

It was a crazy busy day. I painted, went to a pancake breakfast, painted, did yardwork, did housework ...then found out DH's friend is coming on the bus tomorrow. We had a whole new list which included moving furniture so he could sleep on the floor and making a trip to the next town for a week's worth of groceries. Whew!
Credits:
~making a plan for the pancake breakfast and sticking with it
~planning a menu for the week which keeps me OP while accomodating a guest
Could do better:
~I ended up being so busy that I didn't take care of my nutritional needs and actually underate

I'll keep trying, coaches...I've read all your posts...

Last edited by Lexxiss; 07-24-2011 at 01:40 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:26 AM   #171  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Still hot around here. I've never paid much attention to the warning on cans of paint that say "use between 70 and 90 degrees F." Now I understand them - Ouch. Above 90 degrees, some paint behaves poorly. I gotta wait for cool weather to do some painting. Cold watermelon for evening snack, CREDIT moi. DW won't buy one of those cut melons - just doesn't seem right, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Ouch for Sabotaging Thoughts tempting you to "take advantage" of being alone. Kudos for continuing to weigh yourself.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Kudos for handling unfinished family business with food sanity - families are a rich source of Sabotaging Thoughts. Ouch for that many tourists; but then you do get to have Colorado in return.

Woodland - Kudos for "no choice" a few times. Just love that that works.

pamatga - Congrats on breaking "265.6 barrier" - despite the heat!!! I agree, "Muscles do burn more calories!" on their own, but even more so because they yearn to be used and we tend to exercise them more. Yay for muscles.

Alana in Canada - LOL at "the kids will be back!" - Yup, even after you send them to college. Veggies do take time; I found that easier once I accepted it.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 2 Weigh yourself daily
Are you convinced yet? Here is why weighing yourself daily is so important:
Getting on the Scale.
what to do . . .
Weigh yourself on a digital scale tomorrow morning. Today, create this Response Card:
My weight isn't who I am. It isn't a measure of my
worth. It's just a number that tells me important
information.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 58.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:29 AM   #172  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

BillBlueEyes, regarding painting above 90 degrees I find that I behave poorly! Fortunately we have those cool Colorado mornings to paint away and have a shift finished by 10. Oops...reminding me I forgot the watermelon!

Alana(in Canada), I knew the kiddos were coming back! lol Yes, veggies do take time but I can assure you from experience that it gets easier. Sometimes when I'm up early food prepping I remember my 2 two favorite grandmothers who did exactly the same thing. They were up every morning working on healthy foods for their loving families.

Woodland, organizing is very important to me, and yeah, I have OCD tendencies, too. I 'm sure it's why my eating turns very poor when my environment gets scattered. for doing everything on your to do list. How is your garden BTW?

gardenerjoy, I do think the "fat person" will remain with us for a very long time and what better time for her to work at our thinness then when we are alone. Keep telling her you're not going back!

Pam(atga), , too, at not raising your voice to DW. I think mine may enroll in a piano tuning school. Yay for a moving ticker! Each one pound makes a difference! Did we decide it was at least 5# of pressure off your joints?? Thanks for a great perspective on dysfunction. I REALLY appreciated the visual of "marching up and down that proverbial ladder (both literally and figuratively). It is such an incredible thought for me. Thx! (reminding me of my favorite,Daily Affermation With Stuart Smalley. I would laugh so hard because I could SO relate! Yes dear, WE are doing this!

Becky(anotherchick) great credit planning for your food events at work!

to everyone else...Shepherdess, CeeJay, onebyone, SuperChick....

If I don't post NOW I'll certainly lose that connection as I see the bicyclists arriving out my front window.Speaking of!! I'm going to jump on my bike and ride for ice . *credit* for spontaneous exercise!
Old 07-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #173  
Starting over

Default Sunday

Today is my official weigh-in and the scale obliged me by showing a two pound loss--from yesterday!

I'm not sure it is "real." kwim? It's just so strange to see the number-- 10 pounds lower than when I first posted here (the end of last month). I'm two rewards behind, already, lol!

But, I'll take it. 247.4 is now the "new normal."

BBE--good to hear from you. My kids didn't go to college--heavens, no. They're only 13 and (almost) 11! Just camp.

Lexxiss--how frustrating for you! You've been putting your off-line time to good use, though!

Today is Day 22 (I compressed a few days to get back on track). Repeat after me:
"Oh, well."

Last edited by Alana in Canada; 07-24-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #174  
Green Tomatoes

Ate better yesterday. Focusing on veggies always helps me and it's so easy this time of year. Lunch was a tomato sandwich with green pepper strips and tomato dip and a cucumber tomato salad (seeing a theme here?).

WI: NC in kgs, Exercise: +40 885/1300 minutes for June and 27/33 miles on treadmill, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Alana and Lexxiss: I also feel a connection to my grandmothers and aunts when I'm doing vegetable preparation. It's very helpful to making me feel good about it. And, it does get easier. My cucumber tomato salad is refrigerator sweet pickles that I made over a week ago on top of cubed heirloom tomato--salad in two minutes!
Old 07-24-2011, 09:56 PM   #175  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi Coaches,

Lexxiss - Garden is good. We had our first cucumbers today. I'll have watermelon and cantaloupe soon. Daily salads are the habit now that carrots, peas, spinach and lettuce call out to be harvested. I love this time of year - groceries from the garden !

I had a good day. Sunday is house cleaning day, so I stretch and bend a lot. Today I attacked the spider webs on the ceiling, so I did a lot of stretching.

Hope you all had a good Beck weekend.

Woodland
Old 07-25-2011, 12:18 AM   #176  

S/C/G: 216.4/217/175

Default Swooping through . . .

Hello coaches and comrades, especially the new folks --

I've been relatively on track, despite some definite stress eating / vacation splurges. I'll let you know, tomorrow, what the scale says. I'm currently on a layover in Phoenix, on my way home after a three-week trip with the Kentucky family. I am very ready to get home! (That's been about 2 months total I've been away from home this year!)

Alas, I've mixed up my dates and will need to leave AGAIN for an 8-day conference on Thursday. Grrrrr. Trying to just make plans and remain in the moment.

Credits (a recap of my extended absence from the forum):

* working out at least four times a week (and after 10-12 hour driving days, too!)
* mostly maintaining healthy snacks and moderate portions, even when faced with "splurge" foods
* reflecting on my eating issues when around my family, but not clinging to these issues. Clinging, in fact, to the new me, despite old pressures.

Goals for this in-between week:

* keep up with my workouts
* plan for food and exercise during the intensely stressful conference
* spend at least 1/2 of one day laying in bed with the kitties and some crappy TV

Thanks for always being here! xoxo
Old 07-25-2011, 01:42 AM   #177  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

Early GM and GD to everyone!

I have made a new pact with myself that I am going to have a vegetable at every meal, including breakfast. Now, you would think that would be a challenge for breakfast but there is chopped spinach to add to an omelet, fresh sliced tomatoes with a wee bit of salt to go with a plain egg and I was even thinking about making some of those bean muffins that I heard about. Then, there is also carrot raisins muffin as well. I have been craving corn on the cob so I think I am going to have some of that for breakfast in the next day or so. I will get back to you about how creative I am going to get with breakfast vegetables; my new "obsession". It is doable and tasty too!! ( hey, how did that last little guy in the line up?? )

Credit:

Stayed up during the early part of the day since that is when DH seems to "shine". We even had an early Sunday dinner out. After we did our "usual" Sunday "activities" I took a 5 hour nap, awoke around 8 p.m. and with a terrible stomach ache. I still have it. Had a few stale saltines and a small glass of skim milk.

Speaking of which; new studies out have revealed that 600 mg calcium per day can significantly reduce the onset of colon cancer; second leading killer of all of us. Regular screenings are also in order. I have also heard that Vitamin D prevents a certain type of aggressive breast cancer. 1 8 oz glass of milk has 100 mg calcium; just to give you an idea of how much we are talking about.

I started taking Caltrate (has both the Vitamin D and calcium ratio you need-not a plug for the brand in itself--that is recommended) about 18 months ago becaue of concern of bone loss. I am so glad that I did. Now, to get DH to take it as well. I also drink a lot of milk, eat more low fat cheese (than I used to) and try to fit in yogurt and cottage cheese as I can. This is one are a lot of us who are counting calories neglect. Just a friendly FYI.

Super honest talks with DH today about my fears, concerns and residual "guilt" about him caring the entire load for us financially (onebyone, I totally relate). Ironically, since we've met, it was always me who had the steady job and actually went from job to job quite easily. I have certainly lost my drive in this area and I just feel both content to be at home and also afraid to admit that. I too am wondering where "I am woman, hear me roar" went?? It reminds me of how my cats were after being neutered: all they wanted to do was eat, sleep and lick themselves, in that order. Gosh, I totally relate!! I think this is what menopause has done to me. Turned me into a neutered kitty ---cat. (meow >..<) So, things are good on this end but fretting about lack of desire to do anything remotely related to rejoining the proverbial "rat race".

gardnerjoy Wow, I was kind of surprised by your admission that you are feeling the need to overeat. I guess, like so many of us who seem to be "life-rs" when it comes to our weight issues, we all assume (erroneously I am finding out) that once the monkey on our backs has been house-broken, it will go over in the corner and "behave". NOT! Well, you know what they say about the word "assume". We are all rooting for you here. In the meantime, you would be doing all of us a great service (if you don't mind and/or not too tired of all the "diet talk") if you shared with us the transition that you are obviously making. I know I have a lot to learn about when that time comes and I too am finally through with losing. ( I am a better maintainer than reducer) Thank you so much for sharing. You have no idea how helpful it is for us who too want the "prize" at the end of this long and winding road.

Love sent to all else. Wow! Lexxiss I'd want to get out of Dodge with all of those people lighting onto the roads, restaurants, etc. Courage medal goes to you for standing your ground with the "tourists in town".

Catch all later today. Now, time for bed for "Bonzo".

Last edited by pamatga; 07-25-2011 at 01:50 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:34 AM   #178  
Finding what works for me

S/C/G: 209 / 194 / 160

Height: 5' 9"

Morning coaches, the start of another week is upon us… this one is tinged with sadness for me – I work mainly with our sister office in Norway, and I am in shock at all of the things that happened there on Friday. I read in the news that the one single person that caused all of that horrific terror killed the largest number of Norwegian citizens in one event since World War 2. It doesn’t even bear thinking about.

That aside, I weighed in earlier than usual this week and am the same as last week, so still sitting on the 200lb fence, peering at the 100lb’s… I’m pretty sure this is due to higher calorie foods over the weekend, and a lot of muscle building exercise. Whatever the reason, I’m saying ‘oh well’, trying not to let it bother me – there are much bigger things going on in the world.

Credits: weighing in, checking in, NSV – fitting into a shirt I haven’t yet managed to wear (bought to ‘slim into’ earlier in the year pre-beck – a pointless behaviour – from now on I will only buy clothes that fit me), planning meals, biking to work. Yesterday I started eating a chocolate brownie post biking as I thought ‘I deserved it’ for working so hard over the weekend. A few bites in I realised what I already knew when I picked it up – I didn’t actually want it, I wanted something ‘clean’ i.e. fruit, so I put it down. DB promptly wolfed it without a second thought! I’m sure there is a 300lb man hiding inside him waiting to burst out... either that or he has hollow legs… he weighs around 150lb wet! So not fair, but hey life isn’t – as Dr. Beck says, ‘oh well’.

I’ll try to pop back for personals later.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:05 AM   #179  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up The last Monday in July

Diet Coaches/Buddies - So nice to be cool this morning! Got some work done yesterday, CREDIT moi, and stayed on plan, CREDIT moi. Felt the call when I saw my DW having her afternoon trail mix and remembered that I don't do that. Feels good not to be controlled by food.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I can dig a tomato centric eating day. Ours are just arriving, and they're soooooooo good.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - That so makes sense, "and ride for ice" - an ideal motivator.

Woodland – Wish we had a garden large enough for melons. Do your melons and cukes interact in a way that affects the taste of both?

Mary (MaryContrary) - Love to hear, "Clinging, in fact, to the new me" - so encouraging that you can do that around the old family and the old homestead. Hope you get some good current family time before your conference.

pamatga - My favorite breakfast in grilled tomatoes - just love, love those. Thanks for the reminder to keep up with my calcium and Vitamin D.

SuperChick - Sending supportive thoughts as you deal with sadness of the tragedy in Norway with personal contacts. It's boggling from way over here. Kudos for stopping mid-brownie - that's always hard for me. Can't wait for you to move solidly into onederland.

Alana in Canada - Congrats on the loss, and Kudos for continuing to confront the feelings that it isn't real. Hope your DD found food and water on her journey to camp.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 2 Weigh yourself daily
Getting on the Scale.
what to do . . .
Each morning when you first wake up, read this Response Card. Keep it in the bathroom or put a sticker on the scale to remind yourself. Weigh in your pajamas or undressed - just follow the same routine each morning. Look at the number and then hop off the scale. That's it - you're done! Don't weight again until the next morning. Some dieters get on the scale two or three times (wither immediately or throughout the day), hoping the number will go down, which is a sure sign they are giving the scale too much power. Step on the scale once a day - no more.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 58.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:34 AM   #180  
Finding what works for me

S/C/G: 209 / 194 / 160

Height: 5' 9"

Default peeping over the fence into onederland...

Woodland – I hear you on the calming-ness of routines. I used to think it would be way more fun to be spontaneous but I can’t help it – I take some sort of solace in routine!
BBE - I want to go to this magical place they call Wholefoods! I read quite a few of the American food / exercise blogs and they are always talking about it too. One day, I will go there thanks for your thoughts and I am hoping to through myself head on into the onederland this week! However ’ll just see what the scales say next week
Pam – I already have some spanx, so I’ll be well prepared! Well done on the loss. PS there is also a lot of calcium in broccoli and prawns, if anyone is not living the dairy so much.
Alana – I have also had a look at your blog, it is very good! I’m quite into the foodie / exercise blogs at the minute, and yours looks very stylish. Loving ‘247.4 is now the new normal’!
Debbie - enjoy the bike ride! after a weekend of riding i was dubious of getting back on again this morning, my legs knew about it!

Last edited by SuperChick; 07-25-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Closed Thread