Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 05:24 AM   #91  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welome Jennie (JennieT)

Jennie (JennieT)

In addition,

How did you find out about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find 3FC and this forum?
Old 07-14-2011, 05:37 AM   #92  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Crisis solved! DW had put the scale under the claw foot bathtub. Where else! Just in time for today's reading were Beck suggests daily weighing.

Eating was op plan (CREDIT moi) until I had a piece of cake at a celebration at the office (Ouch - but I called it my afternoon snack to ease the violation). Closest thing to exercise was walking (CREDIT moi) to dinner at a Thai place we'd never been to. Service was as rapid as a fast food joint but the food was quite good. We each ordered the 'small' plate and got more than enough food - I left a pile of brown rice. We've found a winner.

onebyone - Given, "I feel that my food plan is obviously working..." so accept Kudos for maintaining those 11 pounds gone forever. [I was an adult before I learned that the dog was just an actor playing the role of Lassie - and was a female. I felt that I'd been had, LOL.]

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Grabbing on to your metaphor, tossing a silk rope in all the colors of a Chinese Emperor's robe.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - It's the final step that matters. Kudos for "but finally did." [LOL at "maybe behind the mini fridge??" - I'd have found the d*rn scale quicker if I had taken your suggestion seriously.]

maryann - Kudos for carefully working out a current meal plan. [LOL at the thought of a scale in every port. Nope, just isn't the same.]

pamatga - Dodging land mines at restaurants is one of the great skills to work on. It's so easy to be seduced in the pleasant atmosphere and just order anything. Thanks for the terse, "Think. Plan. Execute."

Woodland - Waving back.

Jennie (JennieT) - You are most welcome to join us. We accept you as one of our on-line Diet Coach/Diet Buddy's and ask you to be the same for us. Neat that you've already worked your way to day 23.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 2 Weigh yourself daily
I want you to get in the habit of weighing yourself each morning for the rest of your life. You can do serious damage to your diet if you know you won't have to face the music the next morning. You can also become seriously demoralized if you have followed your diet faithfully, all week, but the one day you weigh yourself the number on the scale goes up, perhaps due to water retention. You might conclude the diet isn't working when, in reality, it's just a normal, temporary gain. Weighting yourself daily will help you avoid these pitfalls.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 56.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 07-15-2011 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-14-2011, 07:24 AM   #93  

S/C/G: 233/224/130

Height: 5'3

Hi BillBlueEyes!

I actually heard about the beck diet solution through some dieters on a support forum for a complete different type of diet (ideal protein-ish). And I found this forum via a google search for a weight loss forum I'm a big fan of online communities for support because I can typically find people who are in similar situations with my weight loss.

For example, 2 years ago I had an auto immune disease and my thyroid had to be essentially killed with radiation treatment. Because of that, I have no real metabolism to work with and weight loss is more challenging than it once was. On this site I've found a handful of women who had the same type of challenge and I'm pretty darn excited about it!

To be honest I'm actually thinking about going back through from day 7 because I've been listening via audio-book (I also have the book) and I'm afraid I might have missed some things due to distractions. I do appreciate a lot of the theories and I don't want to skip over anything if I can avoid it.

Thanks for the warm welcome
Old 07-14-2011, 08:59 AM   #94  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up welcome back 270's

Hi Coaches

I can't stay long. DH is trying to hook up my hard drives from my old computer so I can print off a resume. I am going to the employment counsellor this morning. What's interesting is it doesn't even matter what they say. I am SO HAPPY with my painting lately that, well, I just feel hopeful in all areas. So, we'll see what kinds of options I have re: art and senior citizens.

* credit for weighing in: -1.1lbs it said and then it gave me a weight of 279.3lbs.
That's darn close to 279.0 and less.
I'm going to PLAN some movement into my day with wii resort.
I am committing to report back here when I have done enough to work up a sweat and/or 20 min.
* credit for checking in with my coaches today.
* credit for staying OP and immediately going back OP when I strayed.
* credit for staying hopeful about my prospects-all of them.
* credit for making a plan today.

Must go. If DH can't get the thing to work then I need to re-schedule my appt...

Have a great day Becksters!

JennieT! I look forward to your posts!
Old 07-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #95  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

JennieT

onebyone, what a spectacular sunflower! I showed it to DH...I wish I had money and could afford to get it here. It's really cool that you don't see it's face as it is facing the sun. I've always thought the back of the flower was beautiful, too.

BBE, now if I knew you had a claw foot tub I'd have suggested you look there. BTW-I am a finder...once found my moms prescription sunglasses in her freezer.

gardenerjoy, throwing you a rope!

maryann, woodland,

Today is travel day, and I have much to do before we leave...including a luncheon where my mom will get an award. I have no idea what they will be serving. I will do my best and will try to check back in from the Western Slope of sunny Colorado.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:02 AM   #96  
Green Tomatoes

Thanks for this, onebyone:
Quote:
You know Ceejay, our New Normal is being onplan now. I suspect both you and I are more onplan than off.
I suspect, like you, when I finally weigh myself, it won't be the 185 I fear but something quite a bit lower. I deserve CREDIT for my New Normal and how different it is from my old normal. I squelch that thought, sometimes, because there's a sabotaging thought that can follow, along the lines of "see, you really aren't doing that badly, let's just skip exercise again and go eat that thing you've been thinking about." But maybe if I focus on giving myself CREDIT for my New Normal, I can keep that sabotaging thought at bay.

Besides I have response to that sabotaging thought: I feel better when I stick to my plan. And this one, straight from the book I believe: Successful dieters and maintainers stay successful because they stick to their plans.

Welcome, JennieT!

Love your sunflower, onebyone! The composition and colors are wonderful!
Old 07-14-2011, 01:19 PM   #97  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning Coaches:
OP Yesterday and Today - a few tastes of the whole wheat muffins mix but I wrote it into my plan. Lunch is sautéed zucchini with meatballs. I have gotten away from enough protein and feel so much fuller when I eat what I am suppose to eat. I am almost finish packing for the lake we are heading to for a family reunion- husband side. I have planned well. Credit that despite all the traveling this summer, I am still only 3 pounds above ticker and losing. I think that is something. My goal is to hit ticker weight and stay until fall when I go back to school and always seem to lose more easily.
BBE: The Thai sounds good. Who would think a small plate is enough? My buffet days are totally gone. Quality over quantity.
Onebyone: Good Luck on the job search
Happily traveling Lexxiss.
Hi to everyone else,
Old 07-14-2011, 01:56 PM   #98  

S/C/G: 233/224/130

Height: 5'3

Hi All,

I was reading through your posts a bit and I realized I haven’t been doing a good job at giving myself credit for my successes but I have had some pretty positive reactions to items I would consider triggers that I thought I would share with you all.

Credit #1: Last night we fixed fajitas (light version) and I actually found myself feeling a little guilty because they were so good I couldn’t understand how they were within my diet plan. However, I had the strongest urge to take a second helping because they were so good but instead I explained that I would feel overfull and I was already satisfied. I won!
Credit #2: I also had a strong urge to pick at the leftovers while I was putting them away but I reminded myself of my commitment to never eat while standing/moving and that I am already satisfied with my meal. Another win!
Credit #3: Yesterday morning stepped on the scale and lost a pound since my Monday weigh-in. Today I maintained at that weight but I’m not expecting magic on this diet – the slower the better!

Another thing worth sharing is that I’m a new mom with a 4 month old at home and finances are cramped so we opted for buying an elliptical rather than a gym membership. The goal this Saturday is to get that setup and running so I can start rocking it out in the mornings before I get my baby ready for the day!
Old 07-14-2011, 07:00 PM   #99  
GlenwoodHotSprings

We're on the road..DH driving
~credit for good choices at the luncheon
~oops for the small but nevertheless handful of nuts as I made my last sweep through the house.
~credit for not ordering anything at Wendy's while DH had the full meal deal

I'm not hungry and have several awesome OP choices for dinner...I'm going to wait and see if there's anything edible in my garden.

JenneT, yay for positive reactions to items usually considered triggers and for posting your first credits! Congrats on the little one! Finances are cramped here, too. It always works out.

maryann, have fun at the lake! "I have planned well" says it all! You rock!

gardenerjoy, I, too, feel better when I stick to my plan.

onebyone, how true-feeling something does not make it true. I am sensitive, too, and my mom is one of those "crabby powertrippers". It is very painful and I ate (and drank) over it for years. It feels better when I don't, though. Still lovin' that sunflower!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 07-15-2011 at 05:04 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:48 AM   #100  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up T G I F

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating would have been on plan except that I was kidnapped and force fed a dish of ice cream. Ouch, but it was top shelf ice cream. At the gym (CREDIT moi) I asked a friend how much I had to work out to compensate. He said, "None, it's dairy and that's good for you." That's what friends are for.

After dark I walked (CREDIT moi) to the supermarket to buy California Navel Oranges to try to flush that ice cream out of my system.

onebyone - Yeah for, "SO HAPPY with my painting." Thanks for the sunflower. You will, of course, submit to me the proper royalty, since I OWN sunflowers, LOL. And Kudos for making a plan today.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yep, Kudos for, "my New Normal and how different it is from my old normal." It is interesting that the old negative thoughts of how much you weigh can linger on.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Waving toward the road, but hoping you've arrived by now. Yep, I know about a small handful of nuts.

maryann - "Sautéed zucchini with meatballs" sounds good to me. My experience with family reunions is that they're food centric. Hope you can introduce another activity.

Jennie (JennieT) - Why Yes, I can imagine there are distractions while raising a 4 month old, LOL. Kudos for proceeding with the audio book anyway. And BIG Kudos for not picking at leftovers - that's easy to do without being aware.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4

Research shows that daily weigh-ins are important. A University of Minnesota study of more than 3,000 dieters determined that only the dieters who weighed themselves daily were able to lose weight and keep it off over a year's time. Dieters who weighed less frequently or not at all tended to gain weight. And a Brown University study of 314 dieters determined that people who weighed daily were better able to follow their diets, felt less depressed, and were less likely to binge eat. A separate study of 209 maintainers found that those who weighed daily were 82 percent less likely to regain their weight compared with those who weighed only weekly.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:01 AM   #101  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

GM and GD fellow Becksters!

JennieT from the Dakotas. I moved from MN to GA 7 1/2 years ago. I'm the only person I know who hasn't been to Mt. Rushmore! And, it was in driving distance too! You are off to a great start! Give the baby a hug then one to Mama too.
BBE As one of your other friends. Top drawer ice cream, and I know which one you mean, has more of everything....if you know what I mean. I hear a little "treating myself because I deserve it" here. Take two "Oh wells" and post here daily.
onebyone Hope you can find a job to your liking. Your sunflower looks much like "Sunflowers". Don't beat yourself up about all of the challenges you have had to face recently. I gave up going to a social "food-centric" gathering on Saturday because I knew that being the newbie in a group of well acquainted compadres, I would begin to eat mindlessly, if not that there(I have a hard time eating in front of people I don't know), when I got home(where no one can see me). Call me anti-social or pro-Pam but right now I can't have it both ways. I want to make the 250s by the end of this month, if possible. Something has to give in order to seek that "hallowed" ground.
gardenerjoy I periodically go through that panic-stricken state when a "new normal" status quo takes over the "old abnormal". Sometimes, just acknowledging the feelings is all you need to do to allow it to pass. in the meantime.
Lexxiss hope all is well on your side of the mountain.
maryann see above for my solution. Neither a recommendation nor do I realize to everyone's liking but I canceled two events recently because I wanted to be in control of my food in my own space. I can party later. Now, I want to hunker down and "get this done".

Credit: My single-mindedness about this task. I liken this to training for a marathon. In fact, on the cover of the pink book, the subtitle is "train your brain to think like a thin person". BTW, dear friends, thin people have insecurities, self-doubts and irrational fears. When I was a size 6, I was no different than I am now, only smaller. Well, alright, I was more aloof and vain but that changed after gaining 68 lbs with pregnancy. That took me down a few notches. I fully expect to be insecure, anxious, blue, moody, irritable and "all that" when I hit my goal weight. Yes, I really do!! (gardenerjoy, listening?---your normal is well normal)

My single-mindedness regarding building muscle. For those of you who wonder if it is worth it. I only can say a loud YES! I am moving down in clothing sizes, able to move with more ease (instead of feeling like I am dragging around a ball n chain) and the joint pain has been reduced. Oh, did I mention that also muscle burns more calories so it has also allowed me to eat more calories so "coloring outside the lines" isn't so disastrous at the all telling bathroom scales. Yeaaahhh.

Enjoying how I look in the mirror, in my clothes and how my body feels when it moves. (sigh) With another birthday in a matter of days, gosh, that is a nice gift to me.

Take care all. We are exactly where we need to be [whether we like it or not]

Last edited by pamatga; 07-15-2011 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:51 AM   #102  
Green Tomatoes

Still posting. We celebrated Bastille Day last night. It was fun. But too much wine and too much bread. Still, CREDIT for planning ratatouille (all veggies) as a main course!
Old 07-15-2011, 11:20 AM   #103  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post decisions decisions *where's the sighing smiley face anyway?*

Hi Coaches

We ate store bought chicken wings last night. Result? +1.5lbs = 280.8lbs. *credit for weighing in.

Ok. I have been at or near the 280 mark for two weeks now. My current plan is great for maintenance of the weight 280 but it isn't allowing me to shed more. I think I need to move towards becoming more veggie centric, less everything else. I will look at my quantities of food, other than veggies, with a more critical eye.

And like pamatga I think I need to start to work on my muscles and to build muscle strength. I've been ignoring the exercise part, mostly cause I was out with a pulled back muscle for most of April and before that I twisted my ankle, so I was feeling fragile and prone to injury. I don't feel so fragile now. In fact I am challenging myself to hop up onto the front porch from the lawn instead of using the stairs--it's like a giant step from step aerobics days if you know what I mean. It's tough to haul myself up but I've been successful with it and it's small things like this that build up my self confidence that I can do more than I realize... actually carrying two full propoane tanks-bbq/20lb size, one in each hand this week with some ease, made me also think that I am doing not bad in spite of everything. Time to push ahead.

Guess that's it. DH took the car so I am FORCED to keep painting. I bought 2 more canvases yesterday so I am hoping to complete 3 - 16 x 20's today. If I manage that, I will have 8 new paintings. 2 more and I will have reached my minimum # for my first show. I think I have 4 shows now... must keep going...

BTW the employment counsellor had no help for me, unless I wanted to look into apprenticeship programs in something. But in terms of jobs to do with art and the elderly, nothing. I wrote the term Art Therapist on my form so she looked that up and showed me what I already knew and had found ages ago-the art therapy website. She printed off the first two pages of the website for me then encouraged me to "come back and tell her what I found out about this as it seems so interesting!" *sigh* Seems I am always forging my own path through life. Oh well. I'll take her "advice" and get an appt with the art therapy place and see if that's something Ii want to spend time doing. it may be more intensive, and expensive, than what I want... we'll see.

TGIF! Enjoy the day!

pamatga You totally inspired me today! Thanks! I read how you have adapted to your physical challenges and continue to progress toward your weight goals and your workout goals and I am not hampered physically by anything except my own mind. Had I not read what you wrote today, I probably would have felt *hopeless* at seeing 280 yet again. Instead I am *grateful* the higher numbers haven't returned and I feel *hopeful* that if I ratchet it up and put in some exercise it will make the difference for me as well. Thank you.

BillBlueEyes DH and I went to the grocery store last night before we had dinner. I stared wide-eyed at the plucots, wondering if these were ok on my foodplan. These are a plum/apricot cross. I decided to leave them in store until I investigated it more. Then we were in the frozen food section and I was eyeing the ice cream. I was looking for a low carb/no sugar version and imagining in my mind how the top shelf kinds would taste like. DH didn't see me there at first, staring at the ice cream through the glass doors as if they were puppies in a window. He came up beside me and said "If you can't have a plucot, you certainly can't have this stuff. Not on my watch." I smiled and felt protected and we walked away. Your anecdote reminded me of this successful battle against that formidable foe.

LexxissKudos for not ingesting fast food while your partner does. Excellent. Was anything ready in your garden?? And are you on the side of the mountain where the days are longer or shorter???

JennieT I commend you for all your successes! Awesome. Good job following your plan and great job planning for exercise given the challenge of a baby. That takes a lot of time and effort to get everything done. Kudos.

maryann Really really good job holding that weight at bay. 3lbs is a very very small gain for traveling around. You're doing great!

gardenerjoy I was wondering, how much time in your life have you spent at a lower weight and in active maintenance vs. over weight and in the process of losing weight? I know for me, for the two times in my life I was at a fairly low weight, it felt so weird as I just had little experience being there at that stage. Like all of our habits, I was so used to the gaining/losing/dieting cycle that maintaining/staying at or around goal felt odd. I simply had never been in that state long enough for it to feel "right" ie. my normal state. It takes sitting with the discomfort, as you are, and NOT REACTING to the feelings by placing yourself back in the same old same old losing/gaining/weightloss cycle.
I also remember being sad that that was all over. It's a self identity shift that's going on. See yourself as a maintainer as a person at goal cause that's what you are now... oh, and you're awesome too

Last edited by onebyone; 07-15-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:24 PM   #104  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hi Coaches!

I'd classify today as one of my poorer ones as I continue this journey to improve my relationship with food. I had a plan and didn't follow through. I made good choices until after lunch and the bad choices would have been ok if I would have observed portion control. But I didn't. I did, however, enjoy great exercise both at the pool and on my bicycle. Sometimes exercise saves the day for me.

BillBlueEyes, I really got a good laugh this morning as your friend had such a straight and convenient answer for you. *credit* for walking to the store for your navel orange. I'm sure it helped.

Pam(pamatga), yay for singlemindedness in building muscle. It's something on my list that I never quite get to.

onebyone, my garden is full of fresh raspberries. My best crop yet. I'm on the West side which is lighter in the evening. It's 7pm and the sun is blazing in my W facing window. You said, "In fact I am challenging myself to hop up onto the front porch from the lawn instead of using the stairs--it's like a giant step from step aerobics days if you know what I mean. It's tough to haul myself up but I've been successful with it and it's small things like this that build up my self confidence that I can do more than I realize... actually carrying two full propoane tanks-bbq/20lb size, one in each hand this week with some ease, made me also think that I am doing not bad in spite of everything. Time to push ahead." CREDIT

gardenerjoy, *credit* for posting and making a good choice for dinner last night.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:54 AM   #105  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, except that I've seemed to have adopted the Weight Watchers rule that fruit has zero points when I go for a second orange for my evening snack - Ouch. The gremlin inside me that needs more food apparently doesn't restrict himself to tree nuts.

Busy day ahead moving stuff from here to there to get out of the way of the painters.

onebyone - Oh Yes, "I am doing not bad in spite of everything. Time to push ahead." Art Therapy does sound like something you could do to help people - if you can find a place that is willing to pay well to have your services.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Bread on Bastille Day seems historically accurate - I think thin people in France at that time were eating two pounds of bread a day. Dark bread. And nothing else.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Ya got me drooling for those fresh raspberries. Ouch for the "didn't follow through" - but accept Kudos for "I had a plan..."

pamatga - Yay for moving down in clothing size - the most reliable metric on this journey.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4

tip: If you suspect that
a medication is causing you
to gain weight or that you suf-
fer from a thyroid abnormality
or other medical problem that
might block weight loss, dis-
cuss the situation with your
health-care provider. Although
many dieters I have worked
with initially suspected a medi-
cal problem was keeping them
from losing weight, invariably
they were eating hundreds and
hundreds more calories each
day than they realized.

Closed Thread