Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 10:57 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello coaches:

Feeling OK about my eating. The last 2 days have been pretty good, but not perfect because I have been eating food that was not on plan. Nothing too sugary or salty but I need to refocus this week and only eat on plan. It's going to be a busy week but I have food planned til Friday. I am finding eating pretty much the same thing for breakfast, lunch and morning and afternoon snacks is working very well. I will sometimes vary but only if I plan to eat about the same number of calories.

Other than that I was slicing up some red pepper today and sliced through my nail on left index finger. OUCH. Typing really hurts. All in the name of eating my veggies.

Take care and watch out for sharp knives!!!!

Old 07-04-2011, 11:04 PM   #32  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

onebyone I applaud your desire both to make these changes and make these permanent. Much of my personal insights I carry with me come from a few years in both individual and group psychotherapy and the 12 Step program, Overeaters Anonymous. I so hear you loud and clear about wanting to be done with all of this! I told my DH this morning I have hit a place where I am tired of going up and down in the 260s. For **** sakes, that used to be my highest weight 10 years ago, and I am pushing past it and beyond it. We can do this!!

Gardenerjoy I am green with envy but proud as punch that you hit goal weight. I've said before but heck, let's run the flag up the pole. I do watch and listen. I want you to know that come H** or high water, we (see above) will be joining the rest of you under the 200 mark and then for us all. Party time!!! Veggie Time!!

BBE Bill, I am going through a real flip flop right now when it comes to what is OP and what isn't. If I may be so bold as to say I recognize a lot of EE in this bunch, I honestly believe that it really depends on where we are emotionally at any given time in how well (or not so well) we handle food in general. My b-day is the 19th and we have a way of celebrating that is part of choosing how we want to spend our b-day. I did not know what Tim Bits were but I suspected they were something "forbidden". Now, I know.

Four years ago I bought myself a dozen glazed Krispy Kreme doughnuts for my birthday, in lieu of a cake. I ate all but one (DH) in a matter of 10-15 minutes. It the first time I had ever eaten them! Last year, since I had begun BLC I made myself a sugar free lemon cake (one of my favorites) with sugar free frosting and lemon zest on top. It was beautiful. I had lemon sorbet with it. I am not sure what I want to do this year. I doubt whether it will be sugar free though but it will undoubtly be in a controlled environment like one piece of cake in a restaurant (and not the Great Chocolate Wall of China from PFChang--1700 cal!) and that will be it. We'll see. The jury is out on that. GJ on identifying how you wanted to handle your chocolate tryst. I am learning that yes I can limit my portions of some former irrestibiles. I said some.

Heavy electrical and t-storms today right up to the fireworks. Nix the cook out. Nix being on the computer until just now. I had left overs. Opened the potato chips I was saving for the cook out. I counted out normal portions, put in a bowl and ate one at a time very slowly. It was conscious. It was logged on my food log and no I didn't go over my daily calorie amount. Still celebrating holidays with food. Just getting more sane about it. One step at a time.

Able to walk on left leg today although the quad muscles smarts still. I do not know what I did unless it happened in my sleep. My knee locked up on me a dozen times two days ago and my leg was noticeably swollen. Lots better and tomorrow I pick up where I left off with my TYOK exercises and the rest of my workouts.

Pushing through some tough talks about our future here at Atlanta and a possible move (we talk about this every so often, put it down, then return to it). Who knows? It is hard emotional work but it's got to be done. I might be returning to school in a couple months. I hate turning one year older and having to re-invent myself again. Blah!!

HAGN all!

Last edited by pamatga; 07-04-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:10 AM   #33  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

It was a good Beck day. I had a plan and I used my resistance skills to eat OP, with a minor deviation, which was adding a TBSP of almond butter to my afternoon apple. Exercise was my 5 min. on the rebounder and 4 hours of painting and scraping. *credit* for all. DH has another marionberry pie. I really want to be thinner and it's just not worth it.

BillBlueEyes, *credit* *credit* *credit* for avoiding even one bite of the outrageously expensive, chocolate cakes. I agree, it wouldn't have hurt but sometimes it STILL has to be about the principle if we're going to stay trim.

CeeJay, great analysis of how you can be better prepared next time you go to Tim Horton's. It is so difficult, yet necessary, to resist and watch our spouses indulge IF we want to be thinner. I'm watching him eat pie this holiday. Ouch! I hope you're not too badly injured. I will take your advice and watch out for sharp knives.

onebyone, I'm happy to hear you are feeling a hunch that you have a golden opportunity to heal your relationship with food. *credit* From my perspective, as a recovering alcoholic who switched addictions, it just doesn't get magically better. At some point, we either "have enough" or pursue to total destruction. There are certainly days I still want to drink, I just can't/don't. I am working towards that understanding with food. If you have the resources available that is just great.

Pam(pamatga), credit for taking care of yourself and your spiritual life during a trying time as you have lots of emotional stuff on the front line. Sending supportive thoughts your way.

SuperChick, congrats on making your first goal! Your detailed planning/tracking is most certainly contributing to your success...not to mention lots of exercise.

gardenerjoy, I , too, have a skill of complaining. Seriously, though, it is very calming to enjoy a holiday at home without all the food/alcohol/explosive distractions. Yay for qi gong and healthy foods!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 07-05-2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:27 AM   #34  
Finding what works for me

S/C/G: 209 / 194 / 160

Height: 5' 9"

Talking 3 days till holiday!

Morning coaches, hope you’re all ok. A good day on plan yesterday, pretty busy in preparation for our holiday – I didn’t sit down from the moment I got up until the moment I went to bed! Credit though for being busy and still planning my meals and preparing my lunch and snacks for work, when I could quite easily have sat on the sofa! Credit today for reading my ARC, and getting up early to go swimming before work, even though I wanted to stay in bed…

Onebyone – you are very strong. You are facing your food issues head on; this takes a lot of strength. I have also thought of going to therapy in the past for my food issues, but just never seemed to get there. You seem to have the motivation right now – go for it!
BBE - Brownies are a killer. A good home made one… my mouth is watering! Another very strong Beckie – turning down the cakes is a big CREDIT
Ceejay – Ouch!
Pamatga – Well done on the mindful eating, especially with a trigger food like crisps.
Debbie – Good work on being OP, and using what you’ve learnt through Beck to refuse pie temptation… credit!
Old 07-05-2011, 06:14 AM   #35  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - I like this business of letting success spawn more. I found it possible to stand down all the sweet desserts at our big food event yesterday, CREDIT moi: homemade pies, cakes, cheeses, and a strawberry shortcake - an old favorite. I had the mixed fruit, as I had planned. So planning worked, as did having some recent prior resistance muscle strengthening.

Got a good position along the Charles River to see the Boston fireworks accompanied by the Boston Pops. A good show. I remain in awe that a firework can explode into a cube. Lots of good walking; CREDIT moi.

onebyone - Ouch for feeling crummy with Kudos for portion control. It's exciting that you are so motivated to make some changes.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for a quiet Fourth.

CeeJay - Kudos for sacrificing some fingernail to stick with the veggies. Red peppers fight back.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Kudos for four hours of painting and scraping - that's difficult work.

pamatga - Good grief, "the Great Chocolate Wall of China from PFChang--1700 cal!" - that should be illegal. Kudos for going through the difficult discussions about your future.

SuperChick - Congrats on that 5 pound goal - may there be more. Kudos for on plan during such a busy day.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1
The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 1
Motivate yourself daily

When to Read Your Advantages Deck
Along with your Response Cards, read your deck each morning before breakfast to create a helpful reminder for the day. As you read each card (either silently or aloud), be careful not to let the words just pass in front of your eyes. Think about how important each advantage is to you. Also think about whether you want to go through the rest of your life not achieving each advantage. It's important to actually read the deck and not just mentally recall what the advantages are. I've found that reading and reflecting on each reason seems to penetrate the mind much more deeply.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 54.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:35 AM   #36  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi coaches - quick checkin for me this morning. Things have gone well Sunday and Monday and I feel back on track after the party Saturday evening. Qi Gong continues to help me. I just need to stay out of my head and the ego's crazy thinking binges.

Will get back to personals shortly - hope all the Americans here had a great 4th.
(((onebyone))) I've moved a lot in my life and I understand what it's like to miss a place terribly.
Have a great day, everyone!
Erika
Old 07-05-2011, 11:02 AM   #37  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Tuesday

Hi Coaches

It's Tuesday today. I'm starting to make a bit of progress in getting ready for my first art show in a year. In two weeks I am off to Ottawa to sell my most commercial of my works. I'm excited about going back and seeing people.

*credit for weighing in (-2.9lbs -- salt is gone again) = 280.4

I'm just dancing with 280/279. I need to step it up.

*credit for checking in with my coaches and for recording my food

Off to paint some larger paintings...
Old 07-05-2011, 11:09 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Happy Fifth. This is my last full day on the east coast. It has been a life changing journey. Great to see my friend and her ds and I got along very well. But boy do I miss DS and DH. I ache to see my little boy. It must have been in the back of my mind and I didn't let it out until this morning. Correspondingly, I am HUNGRY this morning. I want to eat the world. I will read my ARC. I have walked an hour on the shore. There is is no food I can eat that will allow me to see my loved ones sooner so I must let it go.

Lexxiss: I am using your mantra today "I'd rather be thinner."
gardenerjoy: Boy do I get what you mean by HOT. I am here on the Delaware Shore. We in California just don't get it.
onebyone: I think extra help is a great idea. I have certainly used both groups and individual therapy to support me through positive change
BBE: Here is a LOL. I read the first line of your post "Success Bread" I had to re read three times to get "Breed" HMMM... Some are sicker than others.
pamatga: Sorry about your knee. That is a bummer.
superchick: Congrats. 5 lbs is a big deal.

Last edited by maryann; 07-05-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #39  
Green Tomatoes

My quiet 4th was good, especially eating out of my own kitchen exactly what I planned. Yay!

onebyone: terrific idea to take advantage of the resources in your new area.

CeeJay: I cut myself yesterday, too -- on zucchini. Eating vegetables is living dangerously! Who knew?
Old 07-05-2011, 01:48 PM   #40  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

I awoke feeling very afraid and nervous. I have been through so much change in the past three-four years that the thought of even more just makes me want to go back to bed and pull the comforter (aptly named) over my head, which is exactly what I am going to do today.

I made two decisions last night. I think I must have been a town crier in a past life because I feel like the need to "announce" things in a public way sometimes. First of all, onebyone, I am with you on wanting to moving down into the next 10 lbs so I have decided that I am going to work my butt off this coming month and break 260. Secondly, I have also decided that in the interest of avoiding having to pull seasonal clothes out of our large walk-in closet, which still is stuffed to the gills, then put them into storage only to keep doing that the next season, that I am going to edit my existing wardrobe enough where all seasons can fit into my closet. Now, some of you may wonder so what's the big deal? Again, it's all about raising the bar.

BBE I will never forget when you said that you finally got a new pair of sweats!! You are definitely not a clothes horse like myself. I have already bought some new workout clothes (twice) this season alone! And, I make sure my DH fills the gaps in his wardrobe as well not to mention clothe my pregnant niece and her two childen (one in utero). Yes, Lexxiss, I also have multiple addictions: spending/shopping and eating. I used to find that when one was being a purring kitten the other one was a wild snarly beast but lately things seem to be simmering which I think is a good sign that I am not doing the wide pendulum swings (typical of an addict) but more in the middle.

So, sometime this coming week, I am going to put all of those beautiful (and some not worn) "dressier" clothes in a large Hefty bag and off to Goodwill they go. No more of those sizes. I was hanging on to them, "just in case" but as I "announced" to my DH last night, if you see a (still) fat [although not as fat] naked woman running around Atlanta(assuming the authorities didn't lock her up) you know that at least she refused to even "entertain" the thought of wearing those larger sizes any more. My wagons are circling and I don't want to even go up more than 2 lbs (and it only better be water weight) from here on out. There is no way to go but down----and definitely not out!!
Also, Less is More. Like someone said around here on 3FC, either here or on one of the other threads, when you have a thinnner and toned body, you need less clothes. I say Amen to that!!

P.S. I saw a fun looking infomercial on Hip Hop ABs last night that I am going to order. It looked fun and I carefully watched the lower leg movements so I wouldn't be doing any "compromising" knee movements. I'm getting it!

onebyone Good Luck on the sale of your art work.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello everyone:

pamatga- good for you for your determination to work your butt off to break 260. I really admire that. I also love that you are thinking ahead to Christmas and are believing in yourself.

gardenerjoy- yay for an on plan 4th of July.

maryann- wishing you a good trip back and lovely reunion with your DS and DH.

onebyone- glad you are working on your art and have a trip to Ottawa coming up soon.

eusebius- waving hello and wishing you strength fighting the thinking binges.

BillBlueEyes- good for you for standing strong in the face of a large amount of sugar-fat.

SuperChick-lots of credits for you yesterday.

Lexxiss- yay for eating OP for the day and painting is definetely good exercise.

For me- some good stuff and some slipping up. I just have to keep on going. One thing is I am still posting when I am slipping up when usually messing up means I read but don't post.

Credit today for:
-weighing in
-reading advantage and response cards
-riding exercise bike 30 mins
-doing resistance bands
-planning tomorrow and packing lunch
-checking in with my coaches

No credit for:
-eating 2 Off Plan bagels

Old 07-05-2011, 09:10 PM   #42  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

OP today. *credit* Practiced the hunger experiment inadvertently, as an appointment took longer than expected. Hit Whole Foods and enjoyed a make your own salad which put a large smile on my face for $5.91. Resistance muscle was strong...nothing jumped out that was worth going off plan for-even though I was pretty hungry. Exercise was painting and scraping...again.
I'm tired tonight and know from experience that it's a jumping off point for unplanned eating. I think I'll go to bed early and enjoy some reading.

BillBlueEyes, I'm finding planning and a strengthened resistance muscle to be a key right now, too. *credit* for your willingness to turn down sweet treats offered in multiples.

SuperChick, lots of credits! Super kudos for getting out of bed to exercise even when you could have slept in.

Erika(eusebius),yay for getting right back on plan after the big bash.

onebyone, I hope your painting went well. Great job logging your food.

maryann, I was so fascinated to read that your hunger popped up with your aching for your family. I usually identify the hunger with negative emotions. *credit* for standing down and recognizing that food wouldn't fix it.

gardenerjoy, ouch for another veggie cut!

Pam(pamatga), *credit* for making decisions for steps forward while you were feeling afraid and nervous. I have purged my closet numerous times now. I do have some special pieces I have yet to fit back into but it felt very good to get rid of things that no longer fit.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:09 AM   #43  
Finding what works for me

S/C/G: 209 / 194 / 160

Height: 5' 9"

Wink 1 more day to holiday (can't count obviously, it 3 yesterday!)

Morning Coaches, another quick one as I seem to be busy at home getting ready for the holiday and at work trying to get everything finished before we go on holiday! Pretty much OP yesterday, was aiming to get some of the packing done last night but that didn’t really happen so that leaves everything to do tonight… eek! At least tea is last night’s leftovers; one less thing to think about… credit for another early morning swim, planning my meals, and cycling to work even though I know it’s going to pour down later and I’ll get soaked on the way home! (scratch that, it’s already started raining). I’ve been thinking about the holiday, and don’t want to put too much pressure on myself so I am just going to aim to maintain my current weight loss and not put any on. I’m going to go get weighed in the morning, and go from there. I think it may be more difficult to stick to my plan whilst I’m away so I’m going to measure portions where I can (remembering the scales this time!) and just try to make good meal choices (focusing on the veggies and clean protein) and attempt to keep the portions down. It should be a pretty active break so that should help… I have my ARC on my blackberry, but need to make more of an effort to read it in the morning – something I didn’t do at all when we were away last weekend. Oh, and I can’t forget my trusty pink notebook to write (not plan though) my food intake. At least that way I can stay accountable to myself. Fingers crossed…

Maryann
– well done for recognising you food / emotion link, even more so for ‘letting it go’
Onebyone – good luck with your show. What is it that you paint?
Ceejay – keep crediting yourself for the good stuff; the more positive you stay the stronger you are (and more power you have to strengthen your resistance muscle)
Lexiss – Well done for an OP day and for recognising your off-plan eating triggers

Hope everyone has a good day!
Old 07-06-2011, 06:05 AM   #44  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Fairly straight forward day, CREDIT moi. Had mint (from our yard, of course) on mixed fruit for dessert - a dynamite taste combo.

onebyone - Good news that you're getting a visit back to Ottawa.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Perhaps we can get kids to eat more veggies when they realize that "Eating vegetables is living dangerously."

Erika (eusebius) - Yay for recovery from your party. LOL at "need to stay out of my head."

CeeJay - Kudos for posting when you'd rather not.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yay for exercise; Ouch for painting and scraping. And Kudos for doing Whole Foods without grabbing the FREE samples.

maryann - Ouch for missing the DH and DS, with Kudos for standing down the hunger that brought up. ["Success Bread" sounds good, LOL. By the by, the July 11th issue of Time magazine says that farming is the new way to get rich; hope that means favorable markets for you guys.]

pamatga - Yay for making the commitment by giving away the larger clothes.

SuperChick - Don't recall if you've told us where you're going on holiday. Hope it's a private cruise among the Greek islands, with snorkel gear.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1
The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 1
Motivate yourself daily
When to Read Your Advantages Deck
Until it's a firm habit, many dieters need a reminder system to cue them to read their decks. The dieters I work with keep their decks in various places: on the bedside table, in the bathroom, on the kitchen counter next to the coffeemaker. Some dieters put them away in drawers but create a visual reminder for themselves. For example, a dieter may put a sticker or sticky note on the bathroom mirror, on the refrigerator, or on a kitchen cabinet. Some dieters like to write "30 seconds" on the note to remind themselves that it doesn't take long to read their decks. Isn't it worth this quick investment every morning if it means you get to lose weight and keep it off?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pgs 54-55.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:32 AM   #45  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Morning Coaches/Buddies!

Things are going well. It is nice to have a few days where everything just clicks into place. Part of it is that I feel I am advancing on my spiritual journey. I know my eating and weight are usually reflective of where I am spiritually, so I'm paying a lot of attention to that.

Today we might actually get to see a grownup movie! Not that I mind stuff like Rio and Judy Moody but it's nice to see something aimed at my age range for a change. I think we will go to see Woody Allen's "Midnight in Paris" (though I'm indignant that Stravinsky is not in it, LOL)

onebyone - how exciting to be looking forward to an art show! Keep us posted ...

maryann - love your constructive attitude to feeling really, really hungry ... I know how much I miss my little one when I'm away from her ... you'll see him soon!!

gardenerjoy - yay for eating your own garden veggies!!

pamatga - (((Hugs))) - big changes can be so stressful. It is important to take care of yourself!! Good on you for planning your next moves. Editing your closet is a great thing to do.

CeeJay - kudos for posting consistently even when your eating isn't what you would like!

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Well done with the impromptu hunger experiment! Smart to go to bed early ...

SuperChick - congrats on 5 lbs and credit for sensible vacation planning.

BillBE - Mint on mixed fruit sounds yummo. Must try it.

Wishing everyone an OP Wednesday,
Erika

Read ARC: yes
Sat down to eat: yes
Gave myself credit: yes
Walking: spontaneous
Qi Gong: yes (15 min)
Closed Thread