Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 02:00 PM   #121  
Simply Filling Technique

Cool

GD fellow Beck followers!

BBE Food is everywhere. It just doesn't have to be always in us.

onebyone -Did you know (I didn't until this year) that most fast food including burgers and fries have added HFCS so that it will incite a stronger appetite response? Remove the HFCS and other food additives and you have a "normal" (read: sane) appetite. This is why I only recall ONE chubby kid when I was growing up! Cross my heart and lick my fingers! (My DH doesn't remember one either). I ate food that was not processed, some of which was either caught in a lake or grown in my mom's garden, we had sweets only on special occasions (birthdays, Easter, Halloween and Christmas) and we went outside everyday, no matter how cold or hot, and we played---riding bikes, skipping rope, swimming, walking and running. I truly feel sorry for the current generation of kids. They have no idea how fun being a kid can really be. GL on your art show. Hope you bring loads of dough home to get more supplies to do it all over again.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Ditto on the daily a.m. weigh in. Already, I am using this information to keep myself within a 2 lb spread. It will serve me well when I arrive at my final destination.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Both my Dad and (younger) sister who have bad backs swear by sleeping on the hard floor. My Dad is 82 years old and has been sleeping on the floor for nearly twenty years even when Mom was alive and sleeping in their bed. Go figure??

SuperChick - Hey Surferchick, how did it go?

Alana in Canada - Glad to have you back! I have fond memories of that same region. Nothing like the mountains to remind oneself of the majesty of Mother Earth.

JennieT I am a veteran dieter. I have tried every diet that is out there. I have spent thousands of dollars on some programs only to regain the weight once I ceased following their specific program. I've been in therapy for my eating disorder when it was just being recognized by the psychiatric profession that it is/can be an addiction. It was at that point, about 15 years ago that I ceased dieting as you might know it, joined OA ( calling it a cunning and baffling disease) then began unraveling the "How in the heck did I get here?" OA helped me identify my insane relationship with food, my compulsive overeating and my erratic and irrational binges. How low did I go? I once remember picking up a half eaten chocolate candy bar off the city street near a run down factory and eating it without even wondering if it had been peed on, someone else might see me or whether it was a "normal" thing to do. The thinnest I have been at this height (5'7" if I don't slouch) is 104 lbs (age 14) and the heaviest that I have been is 301.8 lbs. about 13 months ago.

I could write volumes about my journey but I won't here. Unless you want to know. I will answer any question as truthfully as I can (at that moment of self-awareness). Suffice to say, what I have learned in the past several years is that I have to treat this on many levels: physically; I was malnourished (yes, even with all the extra weight) so I began feeding my body the most nutrient dense foods I could afford, mentally; working this CTB; and spiritually; OA and my Catholicism. My end goal is to become whole again. We are all come into this world whole. It is only through life's experiences that either subtract or add to who we are. I had a lot of subtractions so now I am busy making additions. When I reach my goal weight: the weight I was created to be then I can say "I'm physically whole once more."

To all the lurkers and drop ins: Heeeyyyyy! How ya doin'??

Credit:

In the past year(life review at my b-day and January 1 each year):
*I have lost and kept off 36 lbs.
*Brought my fasting a.m. blood glucose from 174 mg/dl (146 is considered diabetic) down to 94 mg/dl. Through food choices(primarily) and some exercise (have some limitations to overcome that I am working on)---Health implications meant that my once blurry vision (diabetes is the #1 cause of premature blindness) is now noted by my eye dr. as the vision of someone 20 years younger. You are what you eat!!
*Read the Old Testament in its entirety and half way through the New Testament with my DH. ( a long ago personal goal that I am now seeing it happen).
*Big on working with my body and its own intuition to heal itself. Knees are better. Sleep could be. Menopause is passing by. No prescription medicine and 58 tomorrow. All my "numbers" are normal.
*In spite of terrible personal trials this past year (three years actually), I am happier, calmer, full of more joy and enthusiasm than when I wasn't (caught ya there, see if you were still reading). In other words; these are the best of times/these are the worst of times but these are definitely the times.

BBE P.S. I hear that Philadelphia is the unhealthiest city in the U.S. and Denver and San Diego are tied for the healthiest people. I thought you Bostonians would get it for being the preppiest. I guess, school uniforms don't count, huh? Here in Atlanta: I would say this is the most musical city in the U.S. I'll end with a true ancedote: one of the well known rappers, who was also in the county jail at the time, got permission to video record a new single of his while in jail. In order to let the film crew in, etc. they "relaxed" the security. While he was shooting his music video, the real in mates walked out the back door. I love Hot-lanta!!

Have a blessed one, y'all!
Old 07-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #122  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Late posting, but I wanted to take CREDIT for weighing myself for the second day in a row. I've been working in my garden before the heat of the day -- made pesto to freeze and washed greens for supper. So, CREDIT for very local, healthy food preparation.

WI: -0.3 kgs, Exercise: +50 620/1300 minutes for June and 18/33 miles on treadmill, Food: 85%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

onebyone: great frogs! love the colors.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:11 PM   #123  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Hi all,

It's going to take me a while to keep everyone straight: I am reading through everything though since my last post.

I read Beck chapter 14 today--(write down everything) and start the Diet, proper.

I compared Bob Greene and the Mayo Clinic diet and decided to go with the Mayo Clinic though the differences are fairly minor. There's more fat in the Bob Greene plan (90+ calories which I will miss--I lurve my butter) and more protein, too, I believe.

There are a lot more fruits and veggies on the Mayo Clinic plan--so many that I don't know how I am going to possibly eat them all. In fact, when I was writing out my plan last night, I was stumped for about a half an hour--and I'm still stumped. I have yet to figure out two more friut portions (60 cal each) and two veggie portions (25 calories each).

Nonetheless, the Mayo Clinic plan directs my eating in the way I want to go--I heard someone call it the Micheal Pollen Plan for Eating, and that's OK with me--(Eat food. Mostly plants. Not too much.)

I'm starting with the mayo clinic program at 1400 calories--it seems low to me but that it what the book recommended. Does that amount of calories send up red flags for anyone? I lost about 40 lbs a few years ago on 1600 calories (I was about this weight at the start, then, too). I'm wondering if I really should start at 1600 in spite of what the book recommends? I'm doing Leslie Sansone walking videos at the moment--just the mile (about 20 minutes) for now.

I forget who mentioned they are a geek--but I am too. I love making up charts and spreadsheets--so I'm excited about creating my own food and activity diary later tonight.

*Credit--walked down three flights of stairs instead of taking the elevator.

*Credit--refrained from stuffing face with dried dates while I made granola bars for the hubby.

*credit--I made a spinach salad for supper even though, at that point, it was the last thing on Earth I wanted to be bothered with.

Last edited by Alana in Canada; 07-18-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:01 AM   #124  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Again, got my exercise by going up and down stairs, CREDIT moi. Kinda got seduced to eat a piece of cake - Ouch. Not that I'm not a grownup who can say "no" or anything. Just got caught in one of those situations where it was easier to say "yes."

Happiness was seeing someone take away the old couch from our curb. Boy, was it ugly, LOL.

onebyone - Sending calming thoughts to counter the tensions about your trip to Ottawa. Love the joy in Frogs Five High.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Love the image of that pesto going in the freezer. Yep, your own garden is certainly optimum local.

pamatga - Kudos for finding your calm in "these are the best of times/these are the worst of times." [LMAO at the inmates walking out of jail.]

SuperChick - Ouch for torrential rain - particularly since we've got parts of the U.S. that are desperate for some rain right now. Yay for geeks - somebody gotta keep the world running.

Alana in Canada - Kudos for the neat credits; taking the stairs is such a good idea because it's easy to become a habit.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 2 Weigh yourself daily
Are you convinced yet? Here is why weighing yourself daily is so important:
. . .
  • You need to prove to yourself that daily fluctuations are normal. Even if you've been perfect on your diet, the number on the scale will go up on some days. Maybe you had hormonal changes, ate late the previous evening, consumed a lot of high-sodium food, retained water, or experienced some physiological change. If you didn't know that fluctuations are normal, you might become discouraged. Weighing yourself daily lets you see - time after time - that your weight occasionally goes up or stays the same, but that it comes down again as long as you follow the Think Thin Eating Plan.
    . . .
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 57.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:11 AM   #125  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday was a good Beck day. I packed my lunch since I'd be away from home resisting the temptation to "take myself out", by reminding myself "I'd rather be thinner". I worked later than expected...when I called DH to say I was headed home he suggested he pick me up. I said I was fine riding my bike home (3 miles) despite an impending storm. *credit* for striving to become a bike commuter. I'm grateful when I'm in the zone where I'm totally cognizant of the relationship between healthy food, daily exercise and weightloss. It's a simple equation and there just isn't another way around it.

BillBlueEyes, you've got me thinking what kind of events one could attend where they don't serve food. *credit* for an old couch having an easy departure. Ouch for the cake....sometimes it IS hard to say no and the continual practice of resisting when "we can" really does make up for isolated moments when "we can't".

JennieT, congrats on your weekly weight loss and Happy Anniversary! Yep, finding out your zone where you lose is a great tool and worth tracking.

SuperChick, *credit* for jumping right back with your Beck skills after a pleasant and active holiday.

onebyone, *credit* for acknowledging to yourself that you can undo 6 weeks of weight loss very quickly. Perhaps a card to remind you as you read it every day would help. It's my observation that starting the craving cycle with certain foods certainly perpetuates more craving.

Pam(pamatga), Happy Birthday! What a great way to celebrate; acknowledging that your "end goal is to become whole again". I like that. *credit* for practicing behaviors that will eventuate that in your physical, mental and spiritual life.

gardenerjoy, yay for very local, healthy food preparation AND for getting back into your every day weighing routine.

Alana(inCanada), it's great that you've hopped right back into your Beck/diet plan since you returned from vacation. *credit* for walking those stairs, not eating those sugary dates and making your salad for dinner, even when you didn't feel like it.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 07-19-2011 at 05:45 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:22 AM   #126  
Finding what works for me

S/C/G: 209 / 194 / 160

Height: 5' 9"

Default Sitting on the 200's fence...

Morning coaches, hope I find you all well. Raining here again (so much for summer!) but luckily I managed to bike to work before it really started. I took the plunge and got weighed this morning – I’ve lost 3lbs since my last weigh-in!! I cannot believe it, especially with the holiday. My little individual Beck behaviours are starting to add up So this leaves me with 1lb left before I hit my 5lb goal, and exactly on the cusp of the 100’s! So here I sit at 200 spot on, feeling pretty pleased with myself – the funny thing was, this morning at home I was thinking what if I’ve put some on, and whilst I was slightly bothered I actually was ok with it because I’m feeling good about myself – it’s amazing how having a plan and support (cheers you guys!:cheers2 and knowing that I have the tools to back it all up if I go off the rails slightly makes me feel so much better, even if I’m still overweight – it’s going in the right direction and I have good intentions. Eating on my plan in a more clean manner is making my feel a lot better than when I eat a lot of stodgy white carbs, cakes and biscuits – I just need to bottle this feeling and pull it out at those tough tempting moments

Credits: weighing in, checking in, planning food, biking to work, spending time preparing todays lunch last night when I could have been on the sofa!

Pamatga – It went well thanks, not much surf for the first half of the week but that did mean we got to bask in glorious sunshine… can’t have it all

Alana – I love the fruit! I wish my plan permitted more I find having a portion with my breakfast (cereal / museli / oats / banana on toast) or as a sweet treat after my tea to help stop chocolate craving (berries are good for this and super low cal) or even in salads (apples / pears / oranges all go well in salads). Good luck starting your plan.

Debbie - hello to a fellow bike commuter!

Ooh, I forgot to say – for all the gardeners amongst us, I got my first proper veggies from the garden last night a courgette, 2 beetroot and a (very!) small carrot! I’ve had salad for a while but these are the first ‘real’ veggies… beetroot and courgette went into the oven for a roast veg salad for lunch… yummer!
Old 07-19-2011, 05:25 AM   #127  

BBE: it's always good to get rid of some clutter, makes you feel a bit lighter i find!
Old 07-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #128  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning Diet Coaches:
I am back from a family reunion in lake county. I can summarize the plot easily enough - five days of beautiful weather, five pounds of candy in a shared condo, five extra pounds at the weigh in this morning at home. I am resolved to circumvent morbid self-reflection. Credits: I weighed in everyday. I exercised everday. I was spontaneously active everyday. I enjoyed my family.
Now to the business at hand:
I am recommitting to the Beck check off chart for one week in which I will focus on all positive eating behaviors.
I am going back to the Zone basic eating plan. eating five times a day ( I had modified) with sufficient protein.
I am writing here.
I am going food shopping.
I am officially letting go of resentment to a universe that doesn't allow me to eat healthy, large portions with treats without adding pounds. I continually say to the Universe "You should have seen what I USE to eat. (when I was over 200 pounds.) The universe does not give partial credit for improvement, healthier choices, or increased self knowledge. The universe demands I eat less calories. PERIOD. So unless I want to trade in all my new size 8 clothes for bigger, I MUST ACCEPT LIFE ON LIFE'S TERMS.
I'll check in tomorrow to let you know how the day went.
Gardenerjoy: I agree with your resolution about weighing in everyday. I have to believe things would have been worse had I not done that.
Onebyone: Good thoughts to selling some work to get to that gym. It sounds great.
Lexxiss: what is TBI?
BBE; I am amazed at the progress you are making on your house. It is thrilling.
Superchick: Congrats on the weightloss.
Alana/ JennieT:I have had a lifetime of food addiction. I have not weighed what I weigh now since I was a freshman in high school. As Pamatga said, I am happy in this last year with myself and have had more peace with food than I have ever had following the BEck program. Today, it is maintaining this gift of peace that I struggle with. I am not CURED. This is a life long journey and a I have a daily reprieve from overeating today based on my willingness to do what I need to do spiritually, physically, psychologically to maintain my sanity. Simple as that. It is all up to me and my willingness.

Last edited by maryann; 07-19-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #129  
Green Tomatoes

Late again, but I wanted to give myself CREDIT for weighing in today even though I knew the number would go up from yesterday.

And I did some thinking about a sabotaging thought related to that. I know that my weight is going to go up the day after eating the greens dish because there's more soy sauce in it than other dishes we eat. But, hey, it gets me to eat a mountain of greens so that's not really a bad thing. My sabotaging thought goes along the lines "You know the number is going to go up tomorrow, so it won't matter if you have some extra peanuts while fixing supper."

There are a number of ways I could deal with that, but it looks the most effective and fun response is "What if I'm wrong? What if it's not inevitable that my weight goes up the morning after the greens dish?" I don't have enough data to conclusively say that's so. So, "What if I'm wrong?" is both an experiment and a challenge to not overeat on the day we have the greens dish and see if I can make the number go down the next day.

WI: +0.15 kgs, Exercise: +45 665/1300 minutes for June and 18/33 miles on treadmill, Food: 75%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

maryann: I struggle with wanting the scale to give me credit for the things I DON'T eat that I used to eat years ago. But it stubbornly insists on only measuring what is in me right now. I think you're right that acceptance seems to be a key.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:55 PM   #130  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Default Tuesday

IDay two of following the written diet plan. Still struggling to find enough fruits and veggies to eat. So, I went shopping tonight--and other than a few odds and ends, I bought sixty dollars worth of fruit and vegetables, essentially. This is truly the BEST time of the year for produce!

Didn't get my planned excercise in, though, and I'm dissappointed. Burned the egg plant under the broiler tonight, too. (I've never cooked eggplant before!)

credit--for trying something new.
credit--for sticking to the food plan with minor modifications (ie a cup of green beans instead of eggplant!)
credit--for being mindful while I ate, today. I'm surprising myself. More often than not, if I sit down with a book and my food--or I sit at the computer to read while I eat, I find myself turning away from the screen/book and just eating my food. I actually prefer to just do that one thing.

gardenerjoy--You know the Scottish philosopher David Hume said that it is not a certainty that the sun will come up tomorrow. Just because it always has doesn't mean it will tomorrow.

maryann--nice to meet you! I, too, wish the Universe ran my way instead of it's own from time to time!

superchick--congrats on the weight loss--and the great attitude.

BBE--it is always the best day when stuff that needs to go just goes. Congrats on getting rid of some ugly furniture.

Lexxiss--good for you and the bike! I feel too heavy to ride a bike safely right now. I am really looking forward to that changing, believe me! (We have only one car so I often feel house-bound until hubby gets home from work.)
Old 07-20-2011, 04:09 AM   #131  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Posting early; we're traveling East within the hour.

I chalked up another OP day! Exercise was water aerobics and lifting my bike on then back off the bike rack. I intended to ride home from work but took DH up on his suggestion for a ride home since it was raining and I lacked a raincoat. I did cruise through the farmers market and bought 2 perfect tomatoes and fresh basil...cut our first cucumber off the vine and made the most wonderful salad (Panzanella). Dessert was another planned raspberry/vanilla IC treat. Sadly we are traveling today and are leaving those fantastic berries behind.

BBE,

SuperChick, fantastic that you are sitting on the fence. I agree, it is amazing to have a plan and support. It is a very good feeling.

Maryann, what a great attitude and plan you have after returning from Tahoe. TBI is traumatic brain injury.

gardenerjoy, I know, too, that the scale will go up after a salty dish. I wonder why I haven't thought of peanuts before? I have overeaten and justified everything else. I love the thought, though "What if I'm wrong?" It's a new thought. Thanks for sharing it.

Alana(in Canada), great credits, including being flexible when the eggplant burned! Regarding safe bicycling; one of the best pieces of wisdom I received in my heavier times was to pick an activity I enjoyed when I was younger and pursue it. I loved my bike as a kid so I got one. I started out very slowly-only riding a couple of blocks from home. As I lost some weight I ventured a bit further. Pretty soon it was definitely aiding my weight loss and I found a2.5 mile ride where I was pretty much on my own. It was a struggle at first...now I could ride it 3 or 4 times a day.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:33 AM   #132  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

I'm either very late or very early depending on what day you are counting!

Big thanks from all of you regarding my b-day. I had a major revelation when I was telling onebyone about growing up as a skinny kid and only have "sweets" on holidays. Gee, guess what major habit I need to break?? Having "treats" on holidays; which also includes b-days, mine and others. BBE, there will always be food in this world, again, it just doesn't have to find its way into us. I am always humbled by the thought that even 4 years later your demons still lurk around the corner. I remind myself, don't get too sure of yourself, Missy, "pride goeth before the fall". for sharing.

Credit: :

*I had "three meals with life in between"(old OA saying) on my b-day. I opted for a vegetable pizza with light sauce and cheese and thin crust for my evening meal. I had 1 serving of Godiva 72% dark chocolate in lieu of a "usual" white everything b-day cake. This is just the start of breaking that ingrained attitude mentioned above. Sometimes, talking out loud helps boing me into action. Thanks, Universe!
*Did my strength exercises yesterday as usual. Got some good back advice from some other family members who are dealing with the same.
*Got enough b-day $$ that I am going later today to pick out a block with really good (and sharp) knives!! I am also going to treat myself to some new free weights as well. More shoes can NOT do for me what these two will do. Sharper knives help with meal preparation. I have graduated to the next level of heaviest weight.
*Invited to a barbeque on Thursday night from a friend of colleague of DH's who recently had a heart attack at age 53. [He is skinny, doesn't smoke or drink and I am sure this came as a real shock to him! My guess, is that since he is a self-employed jazz musician and piano reseller the economy and subsequent worry and stress was major factor besides high triglycerides--a little higher than my DHs] He proudly said he is having a "heart healthy" meal. I plan on bringing some of my recent [diabetic revised recipes] side dishes to also show him he doesn't have to sacrifice taste as well. Should be good!
*I got to talk to my sister, Dad and my adult son yesterday. I especially enjoyed talking to my son since we had a major falling out when he was 18 and we barely spoke (not because of me 'cuz I tried multiple times) for nearly a decade. Now, we are getting closer and closer each time we talk. That was my favorite b-day present! (the knives will be the second when I get them).
*Weigh daily. Log every morsel that goes in me. Exercise and putting big X on the date when I finish doing so. Posting here as often as I can. Recommit again to be at or near goal weight on next b-day. 364 days to go! I can do this. (P.S. Put as screensaver "I can do better!" because I can).

The way that I get more vegetables and fruits in is: having low sodium V-8 with breakfast along with a half grapefruit or sliced peaches/blueberries/etc on whole grain cereal (in lieu of the old white sugar sprinkled on). For snacks, a cup of raw baby carrots/celery/sliced raw green peppers with low fat ranch dressing drizzled on. Along with a handful of raisins or red grapes. Evening meals are the easiest but I rotate broccoli, spinach (prefer that in a salad but will eat it with sea salt and some buttery sprayed on top) and now corn on the cob. I love beans so I have them as a side dish as well. Pinto beans are a new favorite. Tomatoes from the garden are always a winner as well.

I have a very good black bean vegetarian chili recipe I make as well as a cold broccoli/raisin/grape/almond slices salad I like to have. I plan on bringing fresh asparagus spears on skewers for the grill for Thursday night as well as sliced fresh ripe tomatoes. Sea Salt and spray with the 0 -calorie everything buttery spray. I might bring a fresh fruit compote for dessert: sliced berries layered in a non fat plain yogurt mixed with just a wee bit of agave nectar. All of this is quick and easy. The longest part is cleaning everything. With the new knives, chopping/slicing should go well.

Have a great day, all! Pam

Last edited by pamatga; 07-20-2011 at 04:44 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:44 AM   #133  

Smile downhill to the weekend from here!

Morning Coaches, nothing major to report – stayed OP yesterday, managed to fit in a sneaky surf after work even though it was very small and I usually wouldn’t have got in when it was that small but a friend was having a lesson so it felt good to get in and give her some morale support (and give me some extra exercise!). It felt good to get in the water So credit for extra exercise and as someone said to me earlier on this journey – I’m appreciating the non-eventful days!

Maryann – good job on your recommitment after the holiday; I’m getting back into my basic beck behaviours too, and it feels good

Gardenerjoy – I love the response ‘what if I’m wrong?’ testing our own preconceptions is often one of the hardest things to do, I’m going to file that one away for later!

Alana
– lots of credits! Good work.

Debbie – good job being OP, I’m jealous of your raspberry supply! I think they are my favourite berry

Pamatga – I admire your drive! Glad to hear you’re having a good birthday.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:49 AM   #134  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Lunch was particularly pleasant; savored my peanut butter on an Arnolds whole wheat thin with banana and pecans - CREDIT moi. And did gym, squeezed in between two other things, CREDIT moi. I feel so noble when I have to jump through some hoops to get to the gym.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Gotta love the creativity of the Sabotaging Thought, "You know the number is going to go up tomorrow, so it won't matter if you have some extra peanuts while fixing supper." Kudos for weighing.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yay for riding your bike into an impending storm. OK, now I've got to try Panzanella salad - sounds yummy.

maryann - Kudos for giving yourself credit for all the positive events of your vacation. Why can't we all get to this without fighting it so hard, "I MUST ACCEPT LIFE ON LIFE'S TERMS."

pamatga - Kudos for a honking list of credits, including a single serving of Godiva chocolate. So many people keep reminding me to allow myself an occasional treat in order to savor life as well as to avoid a binge later. Wonderful news about your conversation with your adult son.

SuperChick - Neat insight that eating on plan gives you a better feeling than do carbs. LOL at, "bottle this feeling and pull it out at those tough tempting moments" - what a business you could build when you mastered that.

Alana in Canada - Yay for green beans coming to the rescue of burned eggplant. And Kudos for turning away from your computer to eat - this computer thing sneaks into our life way too much.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 2 Weigh yourself daily
Are you convinced yet? Here is why weighing yourself daily is so important:
. . .
  • You will need an extra incentive at times to stick to the plan. When you are tempted to eat extra food, you will be able to say to yourself, No, it's not worth it ... I don't want it to show up on the scale tomorrow.
    . . .
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 57.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 07-20-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:59 AM   #135  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Morning Coaches/Buddies!

I got back from the meditation retreat on Sunday and promptly started eating. Sigh. I think meditating for so long and getting up at 5:30 every day wore me down, but it was also being away from you folks and from my OA friends. I need that contact and those daily reminders of what healthy behaviour is for me. I need to work my program as a first priority in my life.

Nonetheless, I'm really glad I did the meditation retreat. My eating while I was there was extremely healthy and balanced, and most importantly I learned what being present for a whole week (except at night when I got home) was like. This is how I need to live. Otherwise ego takes over and wants what it wants, now! So I have made a list of healthy, recovery-supportive behaviours that I'm going to follow, including posting here, reading the Beck book, writing OA stuff, listening to OA speakers and to 12-step Buddhist podcasts, and continuing to meditate and read spiritual literature. Also, of course, planning my food and tracking it, and doing qi gong. I'll be introducing walking again, too, soon.

So thanks for being here for me, all of you!
Wishing everyone a great day,

Erika

Read ARC: yes
Sat down to eat: yes
Gave myself credit: yes
Walking: spontaneous
Qi Gong: yes (short session)
Closed Thread