Old 07-01-2012, 11:56 PM   #406  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

Mind if I were to jump in? I decided to peruse outside of my usual forum and was thrilled to see a thirty-something thread! I'm turning 38 in a little over 2 weeks and have lost 59lb in 17 weeks (I was hoping to hit my goal by my birthday, but don't think that will happen, but should be close!). I'm thrilled that my size 8's are now getting loose on me. My home scale says I'm at ~151 first thing in the morning in my skivvies, but I go by my Ideal Protein coach's "official" scale which is every Friday at 1pm.

After I reach my goal I want to start trying for baby #2! After baby #1 I found I had a pre-existing back problem that the pregnancy had aggravated and have found I have limited exercise options, nothing like being bedridden after throwing your back out 3x in 1 year to really hit home that you aren't in your 20's anymore!

I was used to intense exercise to help control my weight, but after the back problems I started to gain not so slowly as my activity level decreased/stopped but my eating stayed the increased! Crazy how that works huh? I'm hoping that by getting at a healthy weight (~30lb leaner than my 1st pregnancy) I can avoid any further complications. I plan on moving more towards calorie-counting-ish plan if/when I become pregnant, since most guidelines say you only need 300-500 more calories during pregnancy.

Last edited by LizRR; 07-01-2012 at 11:59 PM.
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:09 AM   #407  
Losing tiny horses

S/C/G: 173/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizRR View Post
Mind if I were to jump in? I decided to peruse outside of my usual forum and was thrilled to see a thirty-something thread! I'm turning 38 in a little over 2 weeks and have lost 59lb in 17 weeks (I was hoping to hit my goal by my birthday, but don't think that will happen, but should be close!). I'm thrilled that my size 8's are now getting loose on me. My home scale says I'm at ~151 first thing in the morning in my skivvies, but I go by my Ideal Protein coach's "official" scale which is every Friday at 1pm.

After I reach my goal I want to start trying for baby #2! After baby #1 I found I had a pre-existing back problem that the pregnancy had aggravated and have found I have limited exercise options, nothing like being bedridden after throwing your back out 3x in 1 year to really hit home that you aren't in your 20's anymore!

I was used to intense exercise to help control my weight, but after the back problems I started to gain not so slowly as my activity level decreased/stopped but my eating stayed the increased! Crazy how that works huh? I'm hoping that by getting at a healthy weight (~30lb leaner than my 1st pregnancy) I can avoid any further complications. I plan on moving more towards calorie-counting-ish plan if/when I become pregnant, since most guidelines say you only need 300-500 more calories during pregnancy.
Whoa! Congratulations on a spectacular weight loss. I can't wait until those size 8's fit. That's my stopping point! I don't do intense exercise either but it's more by choice (I never sustain it!) than health reasons. Do you walk, strength train, etc? Best of luck on your goals and baby #2.
carbstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:45 AM   #408  
is a persistent thistle

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/133

Height: 5'6"

Welcome, Turbolaura and LizzRR!!

Wow, 59 pounds in 17 weeks? That's crazy fast. Congratulations! You've clearly been putting in a lot of effort to get that kind of result. Sounds like you won't be in the 150s for long but feel free to stick around and chat even when you hit the 40s.

I started doing phase 2 of New Rules of Lifting For Women on Sunday and it kicked my butt. In a good way, of course. I didn't think the lunges (don't have the book with me at the moment and I don't remember what they're called, but they are lunges with your back foot elevated) were going to be as hard as they proved to be. I'm excited to be doing workout B tonight but a little leery too. It looks like it's going to take a really long time.
On Sunday, first thing in the morning (naked, dirty and empty... ) I weighed 154.4. Monday morning and this morning I was 157.2. My eyes bugged out when I saw that; that's a heck of a lot of water weight.

I'm trying to not let it discourage me. I mean, I know for a fact that jump on the scale is caused by the workouts, but even knowing that I still can't help but feel that I will never get out of the 50s and perhaps I'd feel better about things if I just accepted that.

Last edited by Thistleberry; 07-03-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Thistleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:58 PM   #409  

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbstart View Post
Whoa! Congratulations on a spectacular weight loss. I can't wait until those size 8's fit. That's my stopping point! I don't do intense exercise either but it's more by choice (I never sustain it!) than health reasons. Do you walk, strength train, etc? Best of luck on your goals and baby #2.
Thanks carbstart! When it was cooler I used to walk to the park with my son in the afternoon, ~2.5miles roundtrip at a slow 20min/mile pace ~4 days/week (1+mile there, 45 minute play, then back-we live by a trail system w/ a lot of parks). For about 3 weeks now Ive been taking him to the mall play area every weekday and I've been slacking on the walking...just not the same with a gaggle of teenagers and kiosk folk all over. I'm a former runner, so it took a while to adjust to the 'slow pace', but then I really enjoyed the 'me' time...can't really get that at the mall.

At week 8 of IP I restarted a 1 hour weightlifting class at my gym (Les Mills Bodypump at 24 hour fitness) on Sun, Tue, & Thur. I've been doing that class on & off for years now.

I actually bought size 4s yesterday! They are snug-I can't gain an ounce- but no muffin top! I think technically I am a size 6 now, but I am learning to just leapfrog my jean sizes until I hit goal and maintain for a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thistleberry View Post
Welcome, Turbolaura and LizzRR!!

Wow, 59 pounds in 17 weeks? That's crazy fast. Congratulations! You've clearly been putting in a lot of effort to get that kind of result. Sounds like you won't be in the 150s for long but feel free to stick around and chat even when you hit the 40s.

I started doing phase 2 of New Rules of Lifting For Women on Sunday and it kicked my butt. In a good way, of course. I didn't think the lunges (don't have the book with me at the moment and I don't remember what they're called, but they are lunges with your back foot elevated) were going to be as hard as they proved to be. I'm excited to be doing workout B tonight but a little leery too. It looks like it's going to take a really long time.
On Sunday, first thing in the morning (naked, dirty and empty... ) I weighed 154.4. Monday morning and this morning I was 157.2. My eyes bugged out when I saw that; that's a heck of a lot of water weight.

I'm trying to not let it discourage me. I mean, I know for a fact that jump on the scale is caused by the workouts, but even knowing that I still can't help but feel that I will never get out of the 50s and perhaps I'd feel better about things if I just accepted that.
It's hard to not let it get in your head, but particularly at the beginning of weight training your muscles do retain water as they 'tear & repair'...the best part is getting those sweet muscles after!

Actually, last week I was nursing a 2lb gain pretty much all week. I had been lifting for a few weeks now, but had just recently increased the amount and moved from 2 to 3 times a week. So I knew that was the most likely culprit.

By my weekly WI last Fri I had a 2lb loss, but my body composition showed I had gained 4lb of muscle - so essentially lost 6lb of fat...and boy could I tell...my jeans got immediate saggy butt syndrome. Since Fri I've dropped another 2lb, so those muscles are burning! Do you track your body fat % or measurements? I bet they show you are tightening up.

This has been a fast journey for me indeed! I am working with my doctor monthly and an Ideal Protein coach weekly. I had been talking with my doctor about wanting to lose weight before trying for another pregnancy - I was REALLY scared how it would re-re-injure my back even worse. I was over 30lb heavier than when I had my 1st pregnancy, and in 4 months trying by myself I lost 6lb...obviously needed some help. There are definitely easier ways to lose weight than low-carb/low-cal/low-fat, but I am pretty motivated, and it's not forever, eventually I get all the good stuff back (just in moderation). I kind of 'aged myself into a corner' if I want to get baby #2 sooner than later! I've definitely learned a lot about myself and relationship with food.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #410  
is a persistent thistle

Quote:
I actually bought size 4s yesterday! They are snug-I can't gain an ounce- but no muffin top! I think technically I am a size 6 now, but I am learning to just leapfrog my jean sizes until I hit goal and maintain for a bit.

It's hard to not let it get in your head, but particularly at the beginning of weight training your muscles do retain water as they 'tear & repair'...the best part is getting those sweet muscles after!

Actually, last week I was nursing a 2lb gain pretty much all week. I had been lifting for a few weeks now, but had just recently increased the amount and moved from 2 to 3 times a week. So I knew that was the most likely culprit.

By my weekly WI last Fri I had a 2lb loss, but my body composition showed I had gained 4lb of muscle - so essentially lost 6lb of fat...and boy could I tell...my jeans got immediate saggy butt syndrome. Since Fri I've dropped another 2lb, so those muscles are burning! Do you track your body fat % or measurements? I bet they show you are tightening up.

This has been a fast journey for me indeed! I am working with my doctor monthly and an Ideal Protein coach weekly. I had been talking with my doctor about wanting to lose weight before trying for another pregnancy - I was REALLY scared how it would re-re-injure my back even worse. I was over 30lb heavier than when I had my 1st pregnancy, and in 4 months trying by myself I lost 6lb...obviously needed some help. There are definitely easier ways to lose weight than low-carb/low-cal/low-fat, but I am pretty motivated, and it's not forever, eventually I get all the good stuff back (just in moderation). I kind of 'aged myself into a corner' if I want to get baby #2 sooner than later! I've definitely learned a lot about myself and relationship with food.
Wow, that's a lot of muscle to gain in a short period of time! And wow, a size 4? (Apparently I'm just going to keep saying wow at you. ) I haven't been shopping in quite awhile (still feel like a bit of an imposter shopping outside the plus size section) but I think I'm a solid 10 at the moment. I did pick up a cheap knit dress at walmart the other day that was a 4/6 but, you know, it's walmart. They're all about the vanity sizing.

Once again, congratulations on your weight loss! You're really inspiring me at the moment and I'm not opposed to a pick-me-up.

I started taking my measurements when I was 15 lbs down. I wish I had done it earlier but I was not in a good place for it mentally so I didn't bother. Since that first time I don't write down my new numbers but I do keep track of them. I have lost in my arms, thighs, and bust in the last two months, just not very much. For all I know I could be holding the tape measure differently. I wish I could track my body fat %! I think that would help a lot, but I've no way of doing it.

BUT! But I now have a theory as to why my weight loss has stalled the way it has. Just having a plausible explanation as to why this is happening (or not happening, really!) has got me all pumped up and excited. I need to hit up my doctor about it and see if she agrees.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #411  

Quote:
Wow, that's a lot of muscle to gain in a short period of time! And wow, a size 4? (Apparently I'm just going to keep saying wow at you. ) I haven't been shopping in quite awhile (still feel like a bit of an imposter shopping outside the plus size section) but I think I'm a solid 10 at the moment. I did pick up a cheap knit dress at walmart the other day that was a 4/6 but, you know, it's walmart. They're all about the vanity sizing.

Once again, congratulations on your weight loss! You're really inspiring me at the moment and I'm not opposed to a pick-me-up.

I started taking my measurements when I was 15 lbs down. I wish I had done it earlier but I was not in a good place for it mentally so I didn't bother. Since that first time I don't write down my new numbers but I do keep track of them. I have lost in my arms, thighs, and bust in the last two months, just not very much. For all I know I could be holding the tape measure differently. I wish I could track my body fat %! I think that would help a lot, but I've no way of doing it.

BUT! But I now have a theory as to why my weight loss has stalled the way it has. Just having a plausible explanation as to why this is happening (or not happening, really!) has got me all pumped up and excited. I need to hit up my doctor about it and see if she agrees.
I was thinking of you this morning Thistle! I did a post-July 4th jump on the scale this AM and am up the 2lb I was down earlier this week...BUT, I do have the muscle soreness and I'm about to have TOM soon so it could be a combination of (hopefully) more muscle and/or hormones with water retention. I've been a good girl so I don't really sweat these little blips, but I always look forward to my weekly WI to see what the body composition tells me. I also spent a lot of yesterday in the sun and don't think I kept up with my water intake. And my thoughts were good - I was thinking "I hope this is muscle like last weeks was, and I bet Thistle has more lean mass too"...

I was praying for some muscle gain lately - as honestly, at most of my WIs my composition showed I was losing a little lean mass every week - I figured I would hit a 'tipping point' eventually, and am going to keep up the weightlifting intensity to see if it continues to move my BF% faster (that's my main driver more than my scale #). I had been pretty weak about it when I started as I was concerned it might be counterproductive - on my low calorie, low carb diet high intensity exercise is not suggested during this first Phase. But I think I have found the right balance of eating & exercise where it's moving at a good pace. It's still not near where I used to lift before, but it's definitely more than what I was doing!

And those size 4s - they are a snug fit - but they FIT! And take it with a grain of salt, as they are boot cut jeans from Old Navy, who are notorious vanity sizers. But I started out snug in their size 16 bootcut - so I think the size comparison is pretty accurate. My boot cut size 8s are too big now, but the skinny size 8s are still holding and should bridge me along another week until the new ones have a bit more breathing room. I buy cheap tops at Old Navy too (not more than $5 each), they don't last very long, but I find I don't stay in them for too long anyways. The jeans are pricier though ($20), which is why I am leapfrogging them.

There are several folks on the Ideal Protein forum who either do it alone, or whose coaches don't have a body fat analyzer and DIY their body fat percentage themselves. Since you already take measurements - you can input them online and at least keep a general estimate. Even if it's not exactly correct, it's a good way to track the trend: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/

I was pretty happy since last weeks body composition was a pretty nice jump of 33% to 29.3% which moved me from 'Obese' to 'Acceptable'. And I am 3lb from a 'Normal' BMI. My DREAM would be to end up in the 'Fitness' category! I think 'Athlete' would be a little too much to maintain in real life though....but who knows, I never thought I would ever reach 155lb in my adult life so anything is possible.

Body Fat Percentage Categories for Women:
Essential Fat: 10-12%
Athletes: 14-20%
Fitness: 21-24%
Acceptable: 25-31%
Obese: 32%+

Last edited by LizRR; 07-05-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #412  
is a persistent thistle

Quote:
I was thinking of you this morning Thistle! I did a post-July 4th jump on the scale this AM and am up the 2lb I was down earlier this week...BUT, I do have the muscle soreness and I'm about to have TOM soon so it could be a combination of (hopefully) more muscle and/or hormones with water retention. I've been a good girl so I don't really sweat these little blips, but I always look forward to my weekly WI to see what the body composition tells me. I also spent a lot of yesterday in the sun and don't think I kept up with my water intake. And my thoughts were good - I was thinking "I hope this is muscle like last weeks was, and I bet Thistle has more lean mass too"...

I was praying for some muscle gain lately - as honestly, at most of my WIs my composition showed I was losing a little lean mass every week - I figured I would hit a 'tipping point' eventually, and am going to keep up the weightlifting intensity to see if it continues to move my BF% faster (that's my main driver more than my scale #). I had been pretty weak about it when I started as I was concerned it might be counterproductive - on my low calorie, low carb diet high intensity exercise is not suggested during this first Phase. But I think I have found the right balance of eating & exercise where it's moving at a good pace. It's still not near where I used to lift before, but it's definitely more than what I was doing!

And those size 4s - they are a snug fit - but they FIT! And take it with a grain of salt, as they are boot cut jeans from Old Navy, who are notorious vanity sizers. But I started out snug in their size 16 bootcut - so I think the size comparison is pretty accurate. My boot cut size 8s are too big now, but the skinny size 8s are still holding and should bridge me along another week until the new ones have a bit more breathing room. I buy cheap tops at Old Navy too (not more than $5 each), they don't last very long, but I find I don't stay in them for too long anyways. The jeans are pricier though ($20), which is why I am leapfrogging them.

There are several folks on the Ideal Protein forum who either do it alone, or whose coaches don't have a body fat analyzer and DIY their body fat percentage themselves. Since you already take measurements - you can input them online and at least keep a general estimate. Even if it's not exactly correct, it's a good way to track the trend: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/

I was pretty happy since last weeks body composition was a pretty nice jump of 33% to 29.3% which moved me from 'Obese' to 'Acceptable'. And I am 3lb from a 'Normal' BMI. My DREAM would be to end up in the 'Fitness' category! I think 'Athlete' would be a little too much to maintain in real life though....but who knows, I never thought I would ever reach 155lb in my adult life so anything is possible.

Body Fat Percentage Categories for Women:
Essential Fat: 10-12%
Athletes: 14-20%
Fitness: 21-24%
Acceptable: 25-31%
Obese: 32%+
Ooooh! New toy to play with! Thanks for the link to that. You're right; it won't be wildly accurate, but it might show me some trends and that's useful information. When I get home from work tonight I'm going to take my forearm measurement as that's the only one I don't know of the top of my head at the moment. Maybe I'll start checking up on that % every two weeks or so.

Awww! Does it sound creepy to say that it feels nice to be thought of? Maybe a little. Well, even if does, thank you.

Congratulations on the move to the Acceptable range! That's a fantastic accomplisment! Does your IP coach have a fat analyzer? When do you do your IP weigh-ins?
Old 07-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #413  

Quote:
Ooooh! New toy to play with! Thanks for the link to that. You're right; it won't be wildly accurate, but it might show me some trends and that's useful information. When I get home from work tonight I'm going to take my forearm measurement as that's the only one I don't know of the top of my head at the moment. Maybe I'll start checking up on that % every two weeks or so.

Awww! Does it sound creepy to say that it feels nice to be thought of? Maybe a little. Well, even if does, thank you.

Congratulations on the move to the Acceptable range! That's a fantastic accomplisment! Does your IP coach have a fat analyzer? When do you do your IP weigh-ins?
You should take all your measurements at the same time of day for the 'most accurate guesstimate' (oxymoron?) since your other measurements can shift as the day goes on (as our weight does during the day due to water retention, etc). My coach does have a body fat analyzer - every week I get weighed, measured at my waist/hips/bust/arms/thigh, and my body fat % and hydration levels are checked.

I meet with my coach every Friday at 1pm....so wish me some muscle luck tomorrow...I just want to get that last 1lb to make it an even -60lb gone. Although, the trend is that Aunt Flo usually doesn't do great things for the scale numbers, but the good thing is she is gone by the next week! I weigh at home in the mornings, so typically my 'official' coach WI is ~3lb heavier than my home WI.

Last edited by LizRR; 07-05-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #414  
is a persistent thistle

Hope you get good news at your weigh-in today!

I played around with the calculator and it puts me at 26.87%. That's much lower than I had expected. But, much though I'm not sure I really believe that, it's a starting point so I'll go with it.

So excited for the weekend! I'm doing a final fitting for a bride and her moh tomorrow but aside from that my weekend is free and clear. I've been wanting to ride my bike around for hours but it's been so hot I've tried to distract myself with other things. Since temperatures are supposed to drop I might finally be able to do it.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #415  

So, my 2lb loss I was nursing most of the week whooshed out this morning with a couple extra pounds! Home scale has me at 149.6, but I only 'count' my coach, which has me at an even 153! I was hoping for at least 1lb to get me at the 60+ lost club...now only 1 more lb to get to Normal BMI...my mini goals keep coming a pound at a time!
Old 07-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #416  

S/C/G: 145/124/?

Height: 5" 4

I made it to the 150's thread!
Hi TurboLaura!

HappyHoliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #417  
is a persistent thistle

Yay for you, Liz! That's excellent. How thrilling it must be to see 149 even if it isn't your "official" weight. Your progress is amazing!

Welcome HappyHoliday!

I decided against making a dress for myself for an upcoming wedding and went shopping this weekend. I was so sure I wasn't going to find anything. Imagine my surprise when I walked out of the store with three and still can't decide which to wear! (Excellent sales prices, what can I say? Spent $60 total. I wear dresses every day so this wasn't very spluge-erific at all). I even picked up some new shoes that will go well with all three so that's not a problem. They're higher than I like, but it's really hard to find much that isn't stripper-height lately. And it's hard to feel too upset about it as they do make my legs look killer! I had several people approach me to compliment me while I was at the shoe store which was surreal.

Anyway, it was not all rainbows and unicorns. I tried on a size 4 just for giggles and found that I could get it on, which was momentous, but obviously was nowhere near being able to zip it. Thing is, I don't think I'll ever be able to. My rib cage is just far too round and barrel. On the upside, this will create a greater numeric discrepancy between my waist and chest for a more voluptuous hourglass look. On the downside, I need to reevaluate my goals. I don't think a size 4 or even a 6 will ever be possible for me and that sort of makes me feel like a failure. I realize that I'm not, but it feels like it. It feels like I need to mourn the loss of this possibility as it turns out that through no fault of my own I will never actually be small.

Last edited by Thistleberry; 07-09-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:11 AM   #418  

S/C/G: 151/151/130... was 190's in 06

Height: 5'4"

Hello!! I have decided to come back to 3FC last time I used regularly I was in the 20's board lol but now at 32 I am back and need some support and some accountability groups to get me back on track.

Today: 153
Goal: 126 or size 3/4
helpmelose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:32 AM   #419  

S/C/G: 145/124/?

Height: 5" 4

So far since Sarurday I've been flipping between 160 and 159 (159.6 today).
I'm traveling this week and have dinner & drinks planned for fri and sat. Saturday I'll have to take a plan cheat night so I'll have to be good the rest of this week.
HappyHoliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #420  

S/C/G: 151/151/130... was 190's in 06

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHoliday View Post
So far since Sarurday I've been flipping between 160 and 159 (159.6 today).
I'm traveling this week and have dinner & drinks planned for fri and sat. Saturday I'll have to take a plan cheat night so I'll have to be good the rest of this week.
Good idea!! I think a cheat night is an excellent idea! I know when I am on track I do the same thing -- I first need to make it through one week without cheating!

What kind of "diet" is everyone doing? Or just watching portions?
helpmelose is offline   Reply With Quote