Old 10-23-2013, 02:45 PM   #316  
Funky

S/C/G: 238/223.5/200

Height: 5'3"

Geoblewis. Read your article and it is interesting but I never feel full unless I am over full. I don't know what would change that. I think I am mental because I actually panic a little when I do not eat it all or not having seconds to be full. Does anyone else feel that way? How do I get past that? Would 20 meals really reset that?!?
LoseToAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:28 AM   #317  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Lose, I'm glad you brought all that up. That's the crux of the matter for me too. I've been trying to figure out what it is I get from getting overly full. And it has to be with food. Getting full with water doesn't work. I know the difference!

For me, getting that full is about managing stress and anxiety. It's about numbing out. Today, I somehow managed to keep calories about 900 calories below what I've been averaging. I'm working at cutting calories and I really want to get by on eating less at each meal. Tonight, I had 2 cups of beef stew. Hearty, full of veggies. Really delish! I definitely felt full. I did go beyond satisfied. So I had to question what was going on with me tonight.

For the last three weeks I've been organizing the renovation of my mother's house, getting it ready to rent. Lots of work, lots of money. I've never done this sort of thing before. So I have a lot of self-doubt about this. Tonight I signed a big check for all the electrical work that was done this week. It was work that needed to be done to bring the house up to code. But my parents built the house, my dad did all the electrical work because he was an electrician, and I feel like I'm somehow dishonoring my parents by tearing out stuff and replacing it.

That was all a feeling! And a feeling was making me want to overeat. And at the end of the day, when I'm worn out and my willpower is on the floor, I struggle to fight the feeling to check out. Because checking out is what I really want to do. But then tomorrow morning, when I wake up, I'll be full of regret again, just like every morning. And I DO NOT like starting my days like that!

I'm motivated to change my life. Today, right now, it feels like it's time to let go of overeating. Something may happen tomorrow to postpone my resolve to stick with this. I hope not!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #318  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

geoblewis: Thanks for sharing the article. I think it's true. I FEEL best when I don't eat till bursting but I can't seem to make myself stop even when I already know I'm full. I can imagine that stopping when I'm still "hungry" would re-train my body's signals even though it seems like it would be hard. Sorry about the emotional upheaval you're going through renovating your parent's house and well done for not giving in to the urge to overeat! As to tomorrow, well, you can only take one day at a time and today is going well so ::celebration::

LoseToAll: Yay you on your stats!!!! We are rocking the 5:2, we are!!!

I had another fast yesterday and it went pretty well. Today has not been as munchy as the usual due to the fact that I was running pretty late this morning and barely had time to scarf my smoked salmon-egg white omelet. Certainly no 2 bowls of cornflakes for me. LoseToAll so far I'm finding I'm super munchy the morning after a fast but I'm usually fine for the rest of the day after that. I had another awesome weigh-in today, so hopefully that keeps me motivated and on the right path the rest of the week.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #319  
Funky

Geoblewis. You said exactly what I meant. Anxiety is what gets me. And numbing is exactly what I do. Food is a pain reliever for me. I am so sorry for all the house stress but think of all the stuff you are learning. And your Dad would have been the first one to update the electricity. Just think... You are doing what your Dad would want you to do.

Toastedsmoke. Had two, yes, two corn dogs last night and a Big hamburger and fries for lunch today. Thank goodness it is fast day tomorrow. I wish I had done it on Wed then my weigh in tomorrow would be down. I weigh in on Monday and Friday. Although I weigh every day because I am so messed up that I have to weigh three times in a row daily. To get a correct number to log on MyFitnessPal App. I log all my calories, exercise, and weight on it and it helps me stay focused. Munchy is not what I would call what I do after the fast. If I stay good then my calories stay down but if I open the gate there is a flood of crazy eating that I do. So I am going to be cautious with my calories the day after the fast days. That may keep me from going crazy.

Have a great OP day.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:48 AM   #320  
Mini Goal 1- 199

Hey LoseToAll, that actually sounds like a plan- being cautious with calories the day after a fast because you have it right, there is definitely a food gate after fast days that once opened... it's not pretty. Re: the food choices, at least the corn dogs were on a separate day from the hamburger and fries and possibly surrounded by healthier food choices... I don't know about you, but my regainer self would've had both on the same day #nobueno In any case, that's the past now, you're on your way forward from that already planning your fast, what happened yesterday and the day before are over. And I guess one of the things I like about 5:2 is that it builds a bit of wiggle room for these food lapses. I'm actually liking the plan a lot more than I thought I would in an almost: "this could be a WOE/lifestyle" sort of way.

I weigh in everyday as well... Also 3 times but that's mostly to try to trip up my scale into giving me a different number- it's too smart for me though, so it doesn't. This week is looking good so far although I've bounced up a bit from my post-fast weight low yesterday, only 1 lb though. I haven't exercised once this week. Not one single time! It's not good. And I don't see when I'm going to have the opportunity to do so without eating into time I should be spending working especially because I was convinced to take on some freelance stuff in addition to being already busy at work and everything is due around the same time- early next week. #sigh Anyway, got to get back to work. Here's wishing everyone a great and OP day!
Old 10-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #321  
Funky

Toastedsmoke. I haven't exercised this week either. I am back on track next week. Sounds like you have a crazy work weekend coming. Good luck.

I am up a lb from Mondays weigh in but today is fast day so we will see how it goes on Sat weigh in but Monday weigh in is what counts.

Went to a funeral for a family friend yesterday. It makes me so grateful for my husband and kids and my life. Weight seems like not important but really important. You know what I mean?!?
Old 10-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #322  

S/C/G: 296/ticker/180

Height: 5'6"

Wow, lots of posts!

I'm not really new, I had an account a couple of years ago which I abandoned. My ticker at the time was at 256... This morning I weighed in at 296.2.

Need to get back on tack....
ShelBl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #323  
Funky

ShelBl. Welcome. You have come to a great place.

Fast day yesterday and I did it. I had to actually tell myself that I am not going to die. I did the skip two whole meals and then ate dinner with my family. I was really hungry in the morning but I did it and I really enjoyed eating with the family but when I weighed this morning no loss. Then I realized my TOM started so I am on hold with the weight loss but I will still count calories and fast on Monday.

Hope you are having a great weekend. Cheers.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #324  
Mini Goal 1- 199

Welcome back ShelBI! You're in a great place and congrats on making the decision to get back on track! You can do it!!!

LoseToAll: TOM usually results in weight gain so staying the same weight with TOM starting probably means you have made some losses! Congrats on a successful fast day! You're right about what you said in your previous post about certain things in life providing us with some perspective on this whole weight loss issue that can consume us so much. It IS just weight in the end and even as we strive to be healthier, we need to remember to still enjoy life and our families etc because life is so short.

I am super behind with work and yet I am so calm about it. It's like I'm beyond freaking out. I didn't work out yesterday but I had the run of my life this morning. I'm not even kidding. It was my best run ever. And I almost didn't go, but then I talked myself into going to the gym saying I'd only work out for 20-30 mins in a totally half-arsed way just so I could tick the box and say I worked out at least once this week but once I got on that treadmill, I don't know something clicked today. Anyway so that was the high point of my day AND my weight/fitness related moment of the week.

Here's wishing everyone a wonderful, happy, OP weekend.

Last edited by toastedsmoke; 10-26-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #325  
Funky

Toastedsmoke. Congrats on the run. That is great you talked yourself into such success. How long did you run?

Went out for Mexican today and only ate half the meal and gave the rest to my husband. It was a good moment.

Went to the store and bought cheesecake. I am going to have a piece for dinner then it will be in my calories and I can stay on track. TOM makes me want sweets and I figure as long as I budget it is okay. That's what the 5:2 is for right. I am still counting calories and I am keep it between 1200-1500 and eating my fruits and veggies. So I will have to see what happens with Mondays weigh in.

Have a great weekend.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:05 PM   #326  
not for anyone but me

S/C/G: 223/175/149

Height: 5'5"

I havent been doing good. Stress and rude co workers getting to me. It hasnt been very long and ive had two 3000cal days. Scale says 186 .. Hopefully thats not right. Today ive only had 140 cal and im planning to make it a 480 cal day. Dont get out of work til 9 so thats possible. Dunno if i could make this a lifestyle, probably just in my head but i feel dizzy xP over all today not my day :c
raworz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #327  
Mini Goal 1- 199

raworz: Sorry things have not been going well. Try not to let other people get to you and steal your joy. They don't deserve to have that power over you. Whatever the scale says, at least you're catching it in time and are turning it around. I was a little unsure about the 5:2 at first but I'm loving it now. Sorry you're feeling dizzy. Maybe a blood sugar thing? Maybe you can throw in a low-cal snack like a handful of berries or something just to give you a little energy boost.

LoseToAll: I ran for 40 minutes non-stop at 6.2 mph. Yay you giving half your meal away! I want to be able to do that and not be the food hog that gets irritated just because someone wants a bite of my food. I miss cheesecake. Thank goodness, it's so rare and expensive here otherwise it's one of those things I go crazy over! I agree about the benefits of 5:2 giving a little wiggle room for treats. I wasn't sure I would want to do this longer than a month but I'm really digging it so far!

I did okay this week in general other than with exercise. My eating was on point. Except for today. But Sundays are my "let loose" days soo... I had a good weigh in today. I'll post my stats and week 2 progress tomorrow.

Here's wishing everyone, an awesome OP week ahead!
Old 10-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #328  
Mini Goal 1- 199

I don't have a lot of time but I just wanted to do my check in whilst I'm taking a little break otherwise it might get away from me.

Yesterday was the expected Sunday hot mess. But Sunday is my counted "no-count" day so, I was prepared. Today is a fast day and so far I'm above where I wanted to be (140 ish calories maybe? right now) which means it's going to be a boring veggie salad and fish for dinner as opposed to cooked carbs and veggies... Oh well, it'll be fine.

Okay to get to it quickly, here are my week 2 stats:

Okay so my goals were:
1.) 2 fast days a week of no more than 500 calories per day.- SUCCEDED-ish. I think both fast days were over 500 calories but certainly within 520 calories
2.) 5 days a week of "normal" eating (1 day at 1200, 1 day at 2000 and 3 days at 1500 calories). This wasn't too bad. I was definitely under 1500 for 3 of my "normal" days.
3.) Workout AT LEAST 3 times a week. UNDERACHIEVED- Worked out only once this week! BUT it was awesome!

And my stats after week 1 were:
SW: 182 (flight-related water weight but still OMgoodness!!!)- 14th Oct. 2013
WK 1 Weight: 176 (21st October 2013) (- 6 lbs)
CW: 171 (27th October 2013) (-5 lbs)
GW: 170 - 14th Nov. 2013

That's 11 lbs lost since starting this experiment! Say what!!!! I'm amazed. I certainly didn't expect this amount of weight loss in this time frame but it's exciting. I don't feel starved or anything and whilst I'm not holding my breath to see if these amazing numbers will continue, I look forward to the next two weeks seeing how I do with this.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #329  
Funky

Checking in with week two of 5:2 fasting diet experiment.

SW 242
CW 236
6 lbs down in two weeks and I am on TOM right now so it will be better in a few days.
No exercise last week but I am on it this week 3 times goal
2 Fast days 500 calories success
Goal Nov 14. 230 I think I can do this!!!

This diet is great. I feel in control and successful. That is not something I ever feel with a diet.

Fast day today and had squash for breakfast. I love it. The rest of the day is popcorn fruits and veggies.

Having lunch with a friend on Wed. Thai food yum!! Then Halloween on Thursday then fast day on Friday, just in time for the candy.

The holidays are coming and I am anxious about all the food and parties. I think this 5:2 may be the answer. I don't know.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #330  
Mini Goal 1- 199

LoseToAll:I also went off the rails last Christmas time... Well from November really but I managed to maintain (I don't know how) till I got into baking around April this year! THAT was the main source of my weight gain. I'd bake a whole cake and eat it in a less than 2 days all by myself. I feel like 5:2 gives a lot more bounce room to enjoy the season and offer a bit more control.

I had a successful fast yesterday (Monday). Thankfully I don't have Halloween to contend with. Me+Chocolate... #notgood Where I live, Halloween is not really a thing so you've really got to hunt the Halloween action down if you want to partake. Today has been a bit munchy overall but I still have about 600 calories to play with for dinner so it's not dire.

Here's wishing everyone a fantastic rest of the day!

Last edited by toastedsmoke; 10-29-2013 at 03:00 PM.