3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Those Weird Things That Come With Being MORBIDLY OBESE. (A thread for laughs) (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/162518-those-weird-things-come-being-morbidly-obese-thread-laughs.html)

ale2121 01-28-2009 02:31 PM

Great thread!!

I will not miss feeling like a bull in a china shop everywhere I go. I'm in NYC and everything is smaller and tinier here (real estate is pricy). One time I was in a grocery store and waiting in line. there was a 90 year old woman in front of me who wanted me to go ahead of her. I said no it's ok, I don't mind waiting. We practically got into a fight about it, so I tried to go ahead of her and my fat butt knocked her over as I tried to squeak by. She hit the ground hard and was really shaken by it. I felt so terrible I almost cried. And her shoe broke. Everyone in the store looked at me in terror. At least our argument was settled. Ugh, I still cringe thinking about that story.

I will not miss the term Morbidly Obese.
I will not miss Drs dismissing every malady I come up with just because I'm overweight.
I will not miss the giant dip in my bed where my butt goes.
I will not miss refusing a seat on the subway because I'm worried I will crowd other people too much.
I will not miss other people's lame advice about how to lose weight (just because they've never been this overweight doesn't mean they know how to lose it all).
I will not miss lame pep talks about having more confidence.
...more to come, I'm sure.

ale2121 01-28-2009 02:36 PM

oh and also, I will not miss being exhausted all the time. Ever notice how some people just get up and do stuff? The trash needs to go out... they get up and take out the trash. I say, I will wait till I'm going out. I also won't miss being intimidated by physical activities. Like stairs.

Erin2tall 01-28-2009 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redreine (Post 2573244)
I hate going to restaurants and not being able to fit between the seat and the table! My boyfriend and I went out to eat with his family and that happened, and I was so embarassed.

The amusement park ride thing...OMG DO I KNOW ABOUT THAT! I go to King's Island every year, and every year it seems harder and harder to fit on the rides...and I'm so embarrassed. I never want to see the day where they tell me I just won't fit. :(

The amusement park ride thing has happened to me :( I'm very tall as well which makes it even harder but last time I went to one they couldn't fit the harness over me so I waited in line for an hour only to have to go straigh through and get off, I was so embarrased! lol :o

Thin4Good 01-28-2009 04:08 PM

I know this was much earlier in the thread....but could I get some clarification on the FUPA issue? Where is that exactly? I mean, is it something that would be remedied by a tummy tuck or is it a little further south?

Erin2tall 01-28-2009 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peachykeen62 (Post 2574134)
I do get the rash between my thighs sometimes and I worry about airplane seat belts because sometimes they have a lot of leftover space and some I only have a few inches. gahhhhh!

The worst thing with airplanes is the seatbelts are different you're right. I was flying home and had seats in the emergency row because of my long legs, give me more room. There seatbelts wouldn't fit over my lap, so when I requested a seat belt extender they said I couldn't sit in the emergency row anymore. So they had to make all these people move to find me a new seat. I was quite miserable the rest of the trip home. Honestly, I'm too afraid to fly ever since :shrug: Good thing I love road trips!

TXJess 01-28-2009 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nods (Post 2581329)
There's a drug called Topimax out there, but I don't know if its used for epilepsy. Its supposed to be used as an appetite suppressant. Google it and ask your doctor maybe?

My husband took Tomamax not for seizures but as a preventative measure "Cluster Headaches."

The side effects that he couldn't handle was that he was just absent minded. Some people have nick-named it dopey-max. He would get up, walk through the house, to the garage and into the closet very specifically and just stand there dumbfounded. In the time it took him to cross the house he had no idea what he was there for. This happened ALL DAY. He got tired of feeling stupid.

Another thing is everything tasted weird. My husband LOVES Dr. Pepper but when he was on this drug nothing was right; He said it tasted like dog butt. Chocolate was just awful.

As far as I know it's not used for seizures mostly headaches/migraines but your doctor could tell you for sure. Personally with all the side effects I saw it wouldn't be worth it for weight loss itself but I don't like meds if I don't have to have them.He found another med that works but it's my non-Professional opinion that every med has side effects you just have to work with your doctor until you find one you can live with.

Sorry for derailing just wanted to note the somewhat unpleasant side effects.

redreine 01-28-2009 04:27 PM

My oldest sister took Topomax for seizures when she was younger, and the doctor decided not to put me on it because it made her like your husband, basically.

I was an A-B student in school then, and he said my grades would most likely drop to D's and F's.

2ndChance09 01-28-2009 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thin4Good (Post 2581572)
I know this was much earlier in the thread....but could I get some clarification on the FUPA issue? Where is that exactly? I mean, is it something that would be remedied by a tummy tuck or is it a little further south?

I was wondering that too!

mystyblue85 01-28-2009 05:32 PM

I have been laughing and tearing up reading this thread...But it made me think of a few more:

I will NOT miss pretending I am afraid of rollercoaster just so that I can avoid the inevitable struggle of trying to fit or *gasp* be turned away

I will NOT miss being mortified/terrified/horrified of eating in front of those who are smaller than me

I will NOT miss all the UNASKED FOR/UNAPPRECIATED diet advice from my skinny friends

I will NOT miss the looks of pity I get from people who knew me when I was 175 and they see how much I've gained

I will NOT miss feeling like the biggest girl in the gym...really, do they have to have so many mirrors??!!! :-(

I will NOT miss my doctor telling me "Youre getting too fat, Cee" (my family doctor who has known me since I was born)

WHAT I CANT WAIT TO HAPPEN:

I want to see my husband look at me the way he used to...
<sighs>

Buttercup 01-28-2009 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mystyblue85 (Post 2581710)
I have been laughing and tearing up reading this thread...But it made me think of a few more:

I will NOT miss pretending I am afraid of rollercoaster just so that I can avoid the inevitable struggle of trying to fit or *gasp* be turned away

I will NOT miss being mortified/terrified/horrified of eating in front of those who are smaller than me

I will NOT miss all the UNASKED FOR/UNAPPRECIATED diet advice from my skinny friends

I will NOT miss the looks of pity I get from people who knew me when I was 175 and they see how much I've gained

I will NOT miss feeling like the biggest girl in the gym...really, do they have to have so many mirrors??!!! :-(

I will NOT miss my doctor telling me "Youre getting too fat, Cee" (my family doctor who has known me since I was born)

WHAT I CANT WAIT TO HAPPEN:

I want to see my husband look at me the way he used to...
<sighs>

OMG! I feel the same way about the mirrors in the gym AND being the biggest girl there! But at least I am there! I find I am relieved if a bigger person then me comes in to work out. Though it is usually a guy!
AND I too want my husband to look at me that way...sigh

KimL1214 01-28-2009 06:34 PM

Thighs rubbing together=rash... check
Having to wear spandex under shorts and some pants to avoid rash... check
Having a hard time breathing while trying to tie my shoes (I have to hold my breath)... check
Fitting so snug in amusement rides that I don't have to worry about a harness because it's going to take every muscle in my body to release the suction the seat has on my big a**... check
Having to buy clothes for people 20-40 years older then me because VT seems to think that there are not enough plus sized people to bring in a plus size store... check
Rubbing holes in the inner thigh of my jeans... check

lottie63 01-28-2009 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redreine (Post 2581603)
My oldest sister took Topomax for seizures when she was younger, and the doctor decided not to put me on it because it made her like your husband, basically.

I was an A-B student in school then, and he said my grades would most likely drop to D's and F's.

topamax DOES have absolutely HORRIBLE cognitive side effects. Back when they were thinking it helped bipolar I was on it. I lost 20 lbs but I was a total ditz! I had a really difficult time "word finding" I would look at a fork and not know for the life of me what it was called! I hated it!

lottie63 01-28-2009 08:06 PM

I won't miss having to put my arm around a total stranger on the bus (on the back of the seat, we certainly aren't cuddling! ;) ) because if I put my arm down it will be a bit too 'snug' for both of us to sit in the one seat.

ANewLife4Me 01-28-2009 08:34 PM

There is a lecture hall on the campus where I work that has such tiny seats. (Even regular sized people call it the room with the skinny butt seats). I will love it someday when my hiney will fit in the skinny butt seats! It's so embarassing!:o

grneyedmustang 01-28-2009 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mystyblue85 (Post 2581710)

You mean like "just do sit ups" or "just get on the treadmill" or "just watch what you eat and you'll lose?" Yeah, I love that kind of advice. :rolleyes: