Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 11:10 PM   #421  

Height: 5'10

So ... this is going to be an annoying question that probably doesn't have an answer buuuttttt.... how do you get rid of belly fat? lol

I am a 'tall girl' 5'10. I am about 175 right now. I have pretty skinny legs but am larger on top. I don't have huge boobs or anything but I feel I have somewhat broader shoulders, large-ish rib cage and a GUT. It's annoying. I am top heavy lol. I have NO butt ... so I feel like I have a rather awkward body shape. I need to get rid of the extra belly flab though as it's supposedly the worst kind to have (health wise).

Though I'm not actually expecting some scientific answer to this ... I appreciate you listening (reading) my rant!

Last edited by BassAckwards; 11-22-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:35 PM   #422  

S/C/G: 360/303/199

Height: 6'2''

Sorry, BassA... I really don't have an answer to that...

After reading all of this thread @ work (yup, my bosses were away), I decided to join up. I guess I should introduce myself, then:

What's there to say? I'm tall (6'2''), although I must admit, I don't feel too tall as I meet taller women than me almost every day at work.
I could go on and on about all the clothing issues I have, but I think the only thing worth mentioning is that I use size 14 (US) shoes, and sometimes size 11 (UK) also fits. And no, I don't go to a boat/canoe dealership in order to purchase myself a pair of shoes.

I haven't searched that much of the forums, so I don't know about all the health issues everyone's having... I just wonder... Am I the only one with Osteo Arthritis? It's actually so bad that the doc's are seriously thinking about knee replacements.

The doc's have come up with this "wonderful" plan: Let's put JMsTyra on a VLC Diet (Very Low Calorie)... for 8 to 12 weeks. I managed to convince 'em to let me start it right after Xmas, as I need as much time as possible in order to get enough info about the whole VLCD thing.
Have any of you actually managed to maintain ketosis long enough to lose significant amounts of weight?
Better yet: Is it even possible to survive up to 3 months on 600-800 calories/day? And be able to do the required physiotherapy and other exercise?

I'm losing my faith in myself, as I don't seem to be able to lose enough weight...

PS the max weight I've put down there... I got that nasty number right after last Xmas... So, I've actually managed to shed a couple of pounds already
Old 11-30-2010, 03:31 PM   #423  

S/C/G: 184/181/160

Height: 5'11"

Hi All!!!

I used to be on here a while ago and am back with a vengeance! I'm so happy this thread has been kept up! It seems like there's a lot more tall girls here than there used to be.

Little about me: I'm 28, 5'11" and 189 lbs. Married to a wonderful man that I have been with for close to 5 years, planning on having a baby early 2012 but until then will be kept busy by our baby boxer boy that we are getting after Christmas.

I have been hovering around 180 lbs for the last 7 years but in the last 4 years I have experienced life twice as 170 lbs and LOVED it. And after a rather indulgent summer, I find myself at 189 lbs and am getting back on the weightloss train now so that I don't find myself in the 190s+! My goal is 170, but my secret goal is more like 160 if I am getting there by regular exercise.

I am generally using calorie counting as a plan. I already know how to balance my foods each day, what servings sizes are, and what I should eat. I just need to follow that and aim for approx 1500 calories a day. Biggest difference maker that will reap the most rewards is cutting back alcohol on the weekends. I'm allowing myself one 100 calorie drink built into the day when out with friends.

I will also be getting back into a muscle routine at the gym. I hate hate hate running and have always achieved the best results when focusing on muscle work.

So, that's me and my plan. I look forward to going on this journey with all of you! I'm excited! I gotta squeeze my butt into some nice skinny jeans! (but not the skinny jeans that are all popular now -- haven't warmed up to that look!)

Last edited by prepping; 11-30-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:41 PM   #424  
On a mission

S/C/G: HW280/CW270/GW160

Height: 5'9"

Wow! I have on here for close to a month, and I just saw this thread today! I am 5'9' - 5'10" and I am also cursed with good proportion. It helped keep me in denial about my weight for a long time. Still, people are surpised when I give them "the number"

For a long time, I was using the "big boned" excuse as well, until I recently saw an article that told me that bone grows as I do to accomodate. So, I am big boned because I am overweight, not the other way around. What a bummer! Anyway, I will be checking in this more often!
Old 11-30-2010, 03:46 PM   #425  

oh yes... big bones... you know my mother still lets that slip out every once in a while when I refer to my "sturdiness"? I have to remind her that I actually measure up to be a medium frame. When I'm 170, I'm actually surprised at how little my ribcage and arms are. ... They're not so little right now.

Welcome to the thread vdander!
Old 12-01-2010, 01:00 AM   #426  
`

S/C/G: 337/331/180

Height: 6'1"

6'1" over here
Old 12-01-2010, 05:12 AM   #427  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

My husbands family likes to refer to me as big boned, his family are all very thin. I really do not like being called big boned, not that there is anything wrong with it but it makes me personally feel like I am a Linebacker for the Patriots. I actually think I have a medium frame going by my wrist and elbow measurements.

Last edited by lauralyn; 12-01-2010 at 05:13 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #428  

Welcome westindy!

lauralyn, I can totally relate. I was just told a couple days ago that I have an athletic build.... from a former college football player. I couldn't help but wonder what kind of athlete looks like me. LoL I just took it as a compliment of some sort and encouragement to become that athletic person that I apparently look like.

So, Today I feel good! I genuinely feel like I can kick this weight out the door for good! I'm ready for a re-imaging of myself for 2011. I was talking about the ways that I will re-image myself physically, mentally, and professionally to my hubby and mother and there was one thing that caught curious looks. I've always been a dark brunette and have dyed it even darker for the last few years. It has suited me well as I have very fair skin. But my big change that I want to tie into my weightloss is a gradual lightening of my hair colour all the way to pretty much blonde. It's completely different for me and I figure "why the heck not!"

oh the possibilities.

And I've lost 3 pounds in the last few days. I know it's generally water weight but it makes me feel good to see the numbers drop.

How's everyone doing??

Last edited by prepping; 12-01-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:29 PM   #429  

S/C/G: 249/237/190

Height: 5' 11"

I've heard the big boned thing all my life as well, but I think there is some truth to it. I have a big head(try buying a hat) size 11 feet(try finding shoes under $150) and wrists that most watches don't fit on. Makes for nasty shopping.

I'm feeling nasty. Got a cold and am constantly hungry. I thought when you were sick you didn't want to eat, so what's going on here?????

I totally hear Vdander24. I also was in denial about the weight since I am proportioned very well.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #430  

I hope you're feeling better today JJ Canada! Sounds like it really was a nasty day for you yesterday.

Like someone said before, I'm pretty sure I believe our bone placement must get smaller in some way when we ourselves shrink. When I was 200+ I was in XL shirts because the sleeves were never long enough. Now I find myself in M/L shirts and never have a problem with sleeves. I'm sure it's not that my arms got shorter but because my shoulders are not as far out as they used to be.

So how is everyone doing?? I'm having another good day after seeing that my weight is down to 184.8 lbs! That's 4 pounds gone in 4 days. I really appreciate the instant gratification of water weight loss.

I don't know what this weekend will turn out to be, but I really really am counting on holding my willpower strong so that I don't cave for Christmas goodies and alcohol when with friends.

Last edited by prepping; 12-02-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:25 PM   #431  

S/C/G: 249/237/190

Height: 5' 11"

Yeah, a little better PREPPINGBRIDE...but still hungry. How do I not eat chips when I sooo want them!!

My weight just seems to stay the same. I just have to put my mind to it and cut out the junk. In general i eat well but it's just the munchies that really gets to me.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:37 PM   #432  
On a mission

JJ Canada, glad you are feeling a little better. I don't know what to tell you about the chips. I am fighting the same battle here. I think I keep telling myself to get through the next hour and see how it goes. It was literally what I did to get myself off soda. Then if it was still really bad after that hour, I would have ONE drink. I would throw away the rest. (wasteful, but had to be done) I was a-d-d-i-c-t-e-d! So, the chips... Make yourself wait as long as possible, then tell someone to take the bag, or Throw it away after one chip. Good Luck!

I feel like because I am cursed with good proportion, that losing weight needs to come from every finger and toe where it is stored. I mean its one thing when nobody else can tell I have lost weight, but even I wont be able to tell for probably 15-20 lbs. Doesn't help the motivation, I gotta say.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #433  

About chips, the only way I can stay away is to go cold turkey. When I feel like I want something like that I'll drink a heck of a lot of water and herbal caffeine-free tea. That's how I've kicked the habit of having a dessert or unhealthy snack of some sort after dinner.

My willlpower is at it's absolute weakest when I'm hungry which is why I make sure that I've planned my whole day out and have something to nibble on every couple hours. How do you fit in chips when you feel like you've been eating constantly the whole day?

vdander, being proportional makes everything so much better! I'm "cursed" as well and really am pleased when I find that my fingers and toes look slimmer (generally only notice when my rings are loose), or that my ribcage is smaller, or that my boobs have shrunk (not an awesome thing, but hey, means I'm smaller!). We hold our weight well so it takes a bit more to notice the changes. The last thing that ever looks smaller to me is my thighs, butt, and hips. I had them first, I'm going to lose them last.

You'll notice here and there. I'm sure of it. And then suddenly out of nowhere you'll realize that you have shrunk a whole bunch all over!

Last edited by prepping; 12-02-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #434  
On a mission

I sure hope so! I haven't ever really lost more than 20lbs at a time in the past, so I am looking forward to it.
Also, about the chips; Confession time. For me, it is the Sea Salt and Malt vinegar flavoring on the chips. This is probably TMI, but I could easily suck the flavor off the chip and throw it away.
I have elevated blood pressure, so this is NOT good. I do not usually add salt into my food, nor do over add to recipes.
I am trying to cut it out, because I think it will eliminate the pendulum cravings. It is definitely a trigger food for me.
Here is my "cheat" to that. So, I know that chips are bad. I found that Blue Diamond makes Salt & vinegar almonds. YES they are high in both fat and calories, but they are definitely more nutritious. So when I can't get myself past the craving, I eat some of those instead. It has eliminated my need for the chips,and the salt and vinegar are really the only ones I craved.
The almonds however, are expensive, so with a limited budget, I have had to reduce those as well.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:34 PM   #435  
300lbs in avatar

S/C/G: 339/287/225

Height: 5'9

well Im 5'7 (I kinda feel short in here) but I completely understand what you ladies are going through but Im the opposite I have small bones! so my height doesn't hide my weight at all! I have to get bigger shoes because for some reason no one seems to have 8 Wides, so yea Im stuck ordering online all the time!, Im 280 lbs but I look about 350! I took a picture with my stepmom, she is 5'6 and she weighs 278 lbs, I looked huge next to her I wanted to cut the picture up!

Whew! Im glad I got that out
Closed Thread