Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 12:09 PM   #301  
Started IP 4/7/2014

S/C/G: 225/170.8/160

Height: 5'7"

ecdcslim, I can so relate, I have these "food outbursts" periodically and I've been working to understand them. When they happen, I am completely conscious of what I am doing, even telling myself I shouldn't do it, I'll regret it later, but I still do it, like I'm on autopilot.

Stress is certainly a trigger, as is boredom. Sugar plays a role for me too, but most often I find myself having a binge with half a jar of peanut butter rather than candy. They happen most often when I am alone at home in the stretch between when I get home from work before anyone else gets home. I've been trying to change up my schedule...going to work later in the morning and staying later at night. Also staying ahead of hunger, making sure I eat before I get completely ravenous seems to stave off these things. But I'm still working on it.

Anyway, all this to say you aren't alone! Let us know how things work out.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:15 PM   #302  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

Happy Hump Day Maintainers!

ecd Were the planets out of alignment yesterday? I had weird cravings and hunger pangs too. When I got home I scrounged around and found some trail mix with nuts, raisins, and chocolate chips that my daughter left behind. I ate that. Then I ate a handful of tortilla chips. Then I ate dinner. I was still hungry so I ate a Healthsmart Chocolate Pudding. That finally made me full. No apparent scale damage this morning, but maybe sugar is a trigger for me as well. I guess the best thing is to not take that first bite, oh, and throw that stuff away so I only have healthy choices in the future.

del I have introduced the refined carbs in very slowly. Brown rice, whole wheat pasta and quinoa at dinner. Sandwich thins and very low carb whole wheat tortilla wraps at breakfast. I just recently tried sweet potato and this week I will introduce beets. I think I have seen others on here say that it isn't a good idea to stay in P3 longer than the two weeks. It messes with your metabolism and eventually you need to be able to eat "normally" and not be in perpetual diet mode.

Last edited by catlady1981; 01-28-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:11 PM   #303  
IP -9/15/13 @goal 1/18/14

S/C/G: 184.4/157 /137

Height: 5'4

Thanks pishposh & catlady. I don't know what triggered me putting that 1st piece of candy in my mouth - I know that act triggered everything else! Part of it was being on P1 for a month, after eating lots of sweets in December. I definitely was feeling deprived. I need to work on my strategy for rolling of this reboot. Thanks for the company in my struggle.

E
Old 01-28-2015, 10:38 PM   #304  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

Hi all,

So tomorrow will be our 3rd snow day. They are having a hard time dealing with all the snow. I have not ventured out on the roads yet, but will tomorrow. I need yoghurt! Am waiting on my Nashua order too.

Getting a little cabin fever! Glad there is really nothing off program to eat here, because I could get into trouble,lol.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:12 PM   #305  
maintaining since 9/2013

ecdcslim & everyone else having sugar attacks: Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'll raise my hand too--today, out of the blue, I dove headfirst into sugar, and then some more sugar. This, after I'd convinced myself that Quest bars and Healthsmart Hot chocolate were the only sweets I would ever need. Is this those sugar-loving gut bacteria sending signals to our brains???

I'm still trying to figure out an approach to sweets that works. So far, I try to avoid sugar while knowing there will be some times when I don't. At those times, I try enjoy the sweets rather than stress about it, though I worry about fitting into my clothes.

Sometimes it's scary--how far astray can I go before I can get myself back on track? Fwiw, it's gotten a little easier the further out into maintenance--maintenance that's included reboots. The less tightly I hold onto being a perfect maintainer at my lowest skinniest weight, the more relaxed I am about what I eat (within my plan) & the fewer inexplicable sugar forays I have. Hope that makes sense!

Hawaii69 Good to see you!

Slipfree, oh wow, I hope you enjoy some freedom tomorrow!

Last edited by mars735; 01-28-2015 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:45 AM   #306  
IP -9/15/13 @goal 1/18/14

S/C/G: 184.4/157 /137

Height: 5'4

[QUOTE=mars735;5124616]ecdcslim & everyone else having sugar attacks: Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'll raise my hand too--today, out of the blue, I dove headfirst into sugar, and then some more sugar. This, after I'd convinced myself that Quest bars and Healthsmart Hot chocolate were the only sweets I would ever need. Is this those sugar-loving gut bacteria sending signals to our brains???

I'm still trying to figure out an approach to sweets that works. So far, I try to avoid sugar while knowing there will be some times when I don't. At those times, I try enjoy the sweets rather than stress about it, though I worry about fitting into my clothes.

Sometimes it's scary--how far astray can I go before I can get myself back on track? Fwiw, it's gotten a little easier the further out into maintenance--maintenance that's included reboots. The less tightly I hold onto being a perfect maintainer at my lowest skinniest weight, the more relaxed I am about what I eat (within my plan) & the fewer inexplicable sugar forays I have. Hope that makes sense!

I hear ya! I was watching some Dr Wilkerson videos yesterday and he had this form he suggested you download and sign when you go onto maintenance. It basically says that you will have an ideal range - for me it's 135 lbs, plus or minus 2 lbs. You need to weigh often, several times a week, to stay on top of your weight and to gain an understanding of how your body works - i.e. do you gain a lot of weight after a high salt meal? Does it take 2 or 4 days for that to go away; does late night eating tend to bloat you?; do you notice lower weights 1 or 2 days after you exercise, etc.

You need to be mindful - i.e. watch your calories, what you're combining, etc if you get to the end of the range - plus or minus. You also need a 'scream' or 'panic' weight where you know if the scale says you weigh XXX - for me it's 142 lbs - you go right then and there and start back onto P1 until you reach goal (not your upper limit but goal). You sign this commitment to yourself and you keep it handy - either on the bathroom mirror where you weigh, on a 3X5 card taped to your smart phone, where ever you will see it. I have it on the wall in my bedroom near my makeup and I also have it on a card I use as a bookmark in my journal where I capture my weight, fat & muscle % etc. I've also programmed it into the Fitbit app on my phone. I did that yesterday and I know it's just psychological, but I already feel much better and more in control.

I know this will be a journey of discovery for me, for the rest of my life so I'm refusing to panic or feel depressed. I'm tackling it like any other challenge I've faced. we're all maintainers cause we were able to focus on a goal and do what we needed to to make it so I bear that in mind and I'm changing my perspective to look at it that way. I know, it's a journey, but I'm getting that now.

Thanks to all of you for your support, it makes the difference!!!

E
Old 01-29-2015, 11:08 AM   #307  

S/C/G: 164.5/131.4/130

Height: 5'2.5"

Good Morning Maintainer Friends!

I am still considering a P1 stint to lose 10 lbs to be 5 lbs under my goal and hopefully maintain right below and above 130. I just think I will feel better in my clothes.

ecdcslim - I have definitely been in your shoes. When I fall of the wagon, I usually fall pretty hard and the culprit is usually sugar. I try so hard to just tell myself tomorrow is a new day and move on. But at the same time I tell myself I should not be doing this to myself and I am mad at myself for losing control. It is a struggle and you are not alone!

mars735 - I am also trying to figure out my "sugar approach" as well!

Slipfree - wow, 3rd snow day! It's so hard to imagine what yall are going through with all of the snow when our high today is in the 70's! Stay safe and warm indoors!

catlady - just noticed you are in Dallas - I am about 2.5 hours East of you just inside of Louisiana!

pishposh - I need to become more aware of when my sugar episodes happen like you have and really get to the bottom of why/when it happens!

Hawaii69 - I am at the top of my range too! Trying diligently to get down to where I feel is acceptable!

Jenny - thanks for the tips on running/walking. I had not taken a day off of running/walking. I immediately took a break and I will check the scale soon - hoping to go down a couple of lbs!

Hi to all maintainers! Hope everyone has a great day!

Last edited by SallyE; 01-29-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:35 PM   #308  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

ecd I saw that one too! I printed out the form and signed it. He's great with analogies for things. He uses a stop light as one. Green for the weight you're ok with, yellow is for the weight where you've put on a few and you need to dial it back by eating lower carb (read NO SUGAR) for a bit, and red (scream weight). He suggests no more than 5 lbs for each one. So I did that too. I used an Excel spreadsheet and made big blocks with my weights and color filled the blocks and used a big font. Printed it out and one is in my bathroom where I weigh every day and the other is on the fridge. So far I only nudged into the yellow number by a couple of lbs. I work best with visual reminders.

Sally I live so close to LA and yet I have never been there. I'm toying with the idea of going to visit a friend who lives just outside New Orleans in the spring.

I had that Open House at work last night. It went well. They had some interesting appetizers. One was a sort of shrimp thing with chopped veggies in a spoon. It was really good. There was other not so OP stuff, but I didn't have any of that. I had a tonic water with lime and no one even knew I wasn't having alcohol. It's nice not to "stand out" as the person dieting. I just blended right in.

Last edited by catlady1981; 01-29-2015 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:35 PM   #309  

S/C/G: 187.4/137/140

Height: 5'4"

I cut my Phase 3 short by 2 days, and started maintenance today. The Phase 3 breakfasts were making me feel too uncomfortable for too long into the day. A smaller breakfast worked much better today. So far, so good. Wish me luck. I'll be visiting this board for inspiration and support for the duration. There is so much wisdom here.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:59 PM   #310  
started IP June 21, 2014

S/C/G: 182/133.4/130

Height: 5' 3.5"

Well, I get to say, "Hello Fellow Maintainers",

I started maintenance today, and good to be with you all and Hella-glad to join together! Thank you everyone for your support as I asked questions in preparation to start P4. Catlady, thanks for the nudge to post over here.

Today, I ate a P3 breakfast, P2 lunch but added cheese, and P2 dinner but took out the meat and added a hardboiled egg and quinoa, if that makes any sense at all. Plus, I had a glass of wine--Challenger Ridge Diablo blend and a couple of squares of Theo dark chocolate. (both local). I planned for it all in MFP. I'm not much of a drinker, however we have some excellent wine here in WA and I was missing it!!! Yee Hah!!!

Glad to join such a great group of people!!!
Old 01-30-2015, 12:10 AM   #311  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

Sorry - I posted in the wrong forum. My bad! Congrats to all the maintainers!

Last edited by HowlinAtTheMoon; 01-30-2015 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Wrong forum
Old 01-30-2015, 07:06 AM   #312  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

Morning maintainers,

This week has gone by too fast.

Welcome new maintainers and congratulations!

Ecd- the sugar devil has gotten me and it's like a drug, I can't seem to stop when I start and then I just want more the next day. Sounds like you are doing a lot of good reflecting which will help make a different story than the one you had before. Great job getting back on track and hats off to you for actually counting the calories.

Sally - glad you took a break, a wooosh is coming your way

Slip - have you been able yo get out yet? 3 days is a long time. Im sure your students are loving the break.

Liana- great to hear from you. Hope you saw some beautiful whales

Hi to Eve, Andrea, Ruth Ann, Debbie

I'm glad it's friday. One of my best friends is joining IP at the end of February. I'm so happy for her she has been super supportive of me and I know she will do great. Another friend did it for a week and quit. Ran in the snow last nigh....I don't like it.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:40 AM   #313  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Height: 5'4"

Happy Friday Maintainers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am more happy than I can SAY that it is Friday. Phew, what a week! I generally only see clients on T/W/Th -but right now my days are JAM packed, so I am clocking three 12-hour work days in a row. By Friday, I am done done done. Even though I have to do all my billing today, I expect to stay in my sweats and slippers a good portion of it! Business is good...but that is a challenge as a working momma for sure!

Food-wise I've been doing better eating more on-P4....still short on calories due to these crazy long days. I need to stock up on some more protein bars again since I've been out for awhile.

I also find I undercut my calories because I have a very hard time meeting my protein goal of 128g a day (that's 30% of my daily caloric intake). So, I am experimenting with aiming for more like 115g and upping my carb g slightly. We'll see if my body does ok with this. My fat grams will stay the same (at 66g daily). So far, I've been in the lower part of my range the past few weeks, so we'll see if my body can handle the change!

Hang in there new maintainers and everyone! Food bursts and discussions about how to handle sugar are such good discussions. There is no judgement here, just support!!!

Murrcat, welcome to maintenance!!! Your first day on P4 is a lot like my days as far as planning in a few sensible treats. I know that not everyone has this experience, but planning in small treats is what helps me keep on track and NOT get into out of control eating.

I think some of what we have to challenge ourselves with is how we respond to the all-or-nothing cycle of eating. I think we have to be careful not to give food too much power. What I mean to say is: food is food. Some food is more healthy for us. Some food is less healthy. But food can't MAKE us do anything we don't give it the power to do. Food doesn't make us a failure or a bad person. Food itself didn't make us fat.

OK, just the ramblings of an over-tired former fat girl here! But I find that the more I travel in maintenance, the more "food peace" I get. I don't need to be perfect. I just try my best to eat foods that are good for me AND enjoy little treats in moderation. And I forgive myself for not being perfect.

Hugs to all! This is such an amazing group of women on here!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2015, 11:08 AM   #314  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by evemomma View Post
Happy Friday Maintainers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hang in there new maintainers and everyone! Food bursts and discussions about how to handle sugar are such good discussions. There is no judgement here, just support!!!

Murrcat, welcome to maintenance!!! Your first day on P4 is a lot like my days as far as planning in a few sensible treats. I know that not everyone has this experience, but planning in small treats is what helps me keep on track and NOT get into out of control eating.

I think some of what we have to challenge ourselves with is how we respond to the all-or-nothing cycle of eating. I think we have to be careful not to give food too much power. What I mean to say is: food is food. Some food is more healthy for us. Some food is less healthy. But food can't MAKE us do anything we don't give it the power to do. Food doesn't make us a failure or a bad person. Food itself didn't make us fat.

OK, just the ramblings of an over-tired former fat girl here! But I find that the more I travel in maintenance, the more "food peace" I get. I don't need to be perfect. I just try my best to eat foods that are good for me AND enjoy little treats in moderation. And I forgive myself for not being perfect.

Here Here! I love this!

Evemomma, Have a smooth slide into a hopefully relaxing weekend!

murrcat, hella, Congrats! There is something wonderful about reaching a weight goal. Even with the uncertainties in maintenance, it's a joyful place to be.

Happy Friday Everyone!
Old 01-30-2015, 08:42 PM   #315  
Reboot: 11/28/16

S/C/G: 275/190/257.7

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by evemomma View Post

Your comments about giving food power really ring true for me. Food is food. How I react to it, use it, view it is all in my control.

Food peace is also a great concept. As I enter into maintenance I am afraid that when I have an off day that I may not be able to bounce back. But if I am able to relax and trust myself and my relationship with food, that should ease my concern. A little esoteric on a Friday night!
Closed Thread