Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 05:46 AM   #16  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - I'd saved half of my dinner to have for lunch - CREDIT moi. It makes me so happy to realize that I don't need even normal sized servings to be satisfied. A 5 ounce piece of salmon used to seem way too small; this piece was split and I got all the joy twice.

Walked home from the gym in heavy rain - multiple CREDIT moi's there - having taken the precaution of stuffing an umbrella in my gym bag, which is a CREDIT moi on its own since it helped to fend off the notion that I shouldn't got to the gym since rain was possible. Thank you to the genius who invented the umbrella.

maryblu - Love the notion that waking up hungry is a "sign" that you're doing it right. It's a new notion for me that hunger is just a signal for me to interpret - like cold or wet - not a demand to act. Thanks for posting the turkey sausage recipe; gonna try it next time I get my hands on some turkey. What do you do with the unused egg yolk?

onebyone - Hope you hear from your DH and that he finds the managing to his liking. Kudos for planning the wii then doing it. And Kudos again for setting a December exercise goal - methinks Joy (gardenerjoy) is onto something with that idea.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Your special restaurant dinner sounds terrific. I'm particularly taken by, "not have to overeat in order for it to be special" - must try to remember that since it's dug into my brain that overeating is the key to a special dining event. [Thanks for the Pynchon reading tip. A neat thing about Amazon is that I got to read the first pages of V, Gravity's Rainbow, and a companion to Gravity's Rainbow which I needed. I didn't need a companion to understand V, so it does seem like a better start.]

Shepherdess - Yay for a jump rope when the weather is foul. Does it drive your dog nuts?

Beverlyjoy - Such a bummer; sending supportive thoughts that you will be able to keep your spirits up while you wait for your tummy to allow the surgery. Yay for having a DH who can see a silver lining - better now than during recovery - he's a jewel.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Two inches in one day is a lot of rain. Finishing that marking task lifts a weight off your shoulders; watch for your scale to jiggle down a kilo for that, LOL.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yay for "back in my groove." And Kudos for walking for a newspaper when it was the walk you really needed. [I'm missing the first lines, myself, already, LOL. Hope I remember to do that next November - I've started to think of a bunch more that I like.]

Blue Daisy - Like the thought, "this is the only body I get." It isn't necessary to tell your family that you're on a diet; it might work better to tell them that you've decided to follow your doctor's advice and make your eating more healthy. People, even loving family members, seem to feel free to comment about a 'diet' but tend to honor someone's health regime without saying, "Oh, you can eat this just once."

Kudos for starting out consistently reading your Response and Advantage cards. Your bracelet rewards for each 5 pounds is a great idea.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 11
When to Stop Losing and Start Maintaining

Determine Your Lowest Achievable Weight

When Gina, a teacher, plateaued for several weeks at 132 pounds, she wanted to keep losing. She thought she'd be able to cut her calories and exercise more. But when we analyzed her situation, it became apparent that she could do so only for a couple of months, during her summer off from teaching. When she returned to school in September, she knew she'd have less control over her schedule and food. She reluctantly agreed that it didn't make sense to try to lose a few more pounds, since she'd likely regain them withing a short period of time.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 274.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:20 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

Food was OP yesterday, but did have to take a turn. We had some work to do in town and had planned to go out for pizza afterwards. Pizza isn’t the healthiest food, but I had planned for something that fit into my calorie plan. But when we were done, we weren’t hungry yet and there was no movie we really wanted to see playing at the right time. Instead, we came home and made something healthy. We might still do pizza and a movie tonight.

A high wind advisory was still in effect yesterday, so once again, no outdoor exercise. I did yoga instead and am hoping the wind dies down soon. Yes, it’s still my favorite month. My birthday is in it, we’ll be putting the rams in with the big herd of sheep, start feeding them everyday and we’ll begin feeding the cows cake everyday. (Of course, those last ones are in part due to cold temps. . .)

Gardenerjoy, it’s so impressive that you have gotten to the point where a dinner out can be both “special and restrained.” You found a great way to enjoy the flavors without overeating. Congrats on reaching your November exercise goals. It’s great that you could do that and do NaNoWriMo.

Onebyone, great job working in more greenlight foods. 1% milk is a good compromise. It doesn’t have many more calories than skim and if it keeps you from rebelling, that’s great. Hope you get good news from your DH.

Seadwaters, wow for 2 inches of rain in a day! It’s good you could stay out of it and have a productive day. The scale jumps around, but the number is not very likely reflective of a real weight gain, but maybe just a butterfly flapping its wings in China.

Beverlyjoy, I am so sorry about the stomach flu and that you once again have to postpone your surgery. I know it’s frustrating. I hope you have a quick recovery! Kudos on your great attitude.

Blue Daisy, I started and failed at a lot of diets before Beck. I would often lose the weight, but then would gain it back later. You’re right to be optimistic about Beck. It has worked for me and a number of others here. Committing to the program sounds like a great birthday present to yourself.

Lexxis, great job falling back into your old groove so quickly. Packing up the car to check on the house and take a break sounds like a great idea. Hope you get a little R&R!

BillBE, it’s a great sign when a portion that used to seem small now can be split for two meals! It’s impressive that instead of feeling deprived, you realize that you get more mileage out of it. Great idea, packing an umbrella to the gym so there is no excuse. Yup, my dog is going a little crazy. I have to spend some time throwing a rope toy across the living room for her to chase. It’s no run, but it keeps her entertained for a little while.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:54 AM   #18  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Angry Thursday

Hi Coaches

credits for yesterday include:
-OP for breakfast and dinner
-planned exercise and did it
-I was 62% greenlight foods yesterday which has met my 60% target YAY.
-weighed myself today: 283.8 those 280's are really p**sing me off.

I talked to DH last night and he had a good first day at his new job. Looks like he'll be there every three weeks. Next week he's supposed to start his other new job (both jobs are on a trial basis; may the best job win!) so the logistics of this are lost on DH and on his new Toronto boss but it will eventually get worked out.

SIL appeared at my door yesterday afternoon. We went for a shawarma platter for lunch at her favorite place around the corner from me. It's why I was 62% OP and not 90%! Anyway, SIL is quite tactless and she was mentioning how huge DH is now and that her other brother is now approaching the size of my DH. She didn't say anything to me about me and my expansion in the waist department but I suppose I should credit her for not saying that to my face. SIL is 10 years younger than me. She really likes me a lot and thinks I can do anything EXCEPT lose this weight. I was fairly thin when we met almost 20 years ago, but my weight has steadily climbed to where it sits today. When I think of her resignation that things are the way they are and I will always be fat, it really bothers me. DH's family has a very depressive "you can't change things, why bother?" attitude. I REALLY do not want to adopt that. I REALLY want to be the exception-that person who loses weight in their 40's and keeps it off, not the stereotype female who gains weight and just gets old and slow. *sigh* Guess that's why we're all here isn't it?

A little bit of *shaking fist* "I'll show you" does me a lot of good. If she is my "inspiration" for this so be it. I think this is a good thing.

Anyway I need to start making things again. I am way way behind. I have to go try and catch up.
Bye

EVENING UPDATE
credits
-I was OP with planned exercise: 11 min walk it out on the wii
-made food from scratch
-66% greenlight food today = OP
-weighed myself this morning
-8 glasses of water

Also a credit for winning "Best in Show" at the School of Art Holiday Show and Sale for my ceramic sculpture! I begged out of going to the opening tonight given the rotten headache and the mounds of work (still) before me and found a few emails congratulating me on my win! So I think this ribbon means my piece was the best thing in the whole show! WOW That was a nice surprise.

Last edited by onebyone; 12-02-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:24 AM   #19  
Green Tomatoes

I skipped both of my snacks yesterday because I was too busy doing other things to eat. Guess what? I didn't starve to death. I didn't faint. I didn't even feel hungry very often or for very long. All of which I remember, now, from Beck's hunger experiment but somehow manage to forget much of the time.

One of the things that kept me too busy to eat was shopping -- a professional jacket in size 12! Vanity sizing helped there, but I'm still happy!

WI: NAkg, Exercise: +50 50/1500 minutes for December, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

onebyone: thanks for joining the exercise challenge thread -- it made me smile to see you there, like having a friend show up to play with me!

Oh, Beverlyjoy, that really is unbelievable! I am so sorry. That is such rotten timing. Here's a big virtual hug (a nice thing about virtual hugs is no one is contagious) and some chicken soup!

BlueDaisy: try giving yourself credit for something every time you notice that white rubber bracelet!

Greetings to all and sundry!
Old 12-02-2010, 02:10 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Friday morning

Hi Coaches

Ate in town yesterday after visiting the dentist (who quoted me $12 500 for some work that sort of needs doing - grrr) and while I selected a good healthy spinach and chicken salad, I also bought a 1/4 serve of hot chips. I ate half of them and then said NO and threw then out - so ouch for buying them and CREDIT for chucking them. I have a work lunch today so the plan is to fill my plate with sensible choices and take no more rather than take one thing at a time, and keep on doing that.

BeverlyJoy - When I read your post yesterday I could have cried - I can't imagine how you must feel. I guess you now have time to work out how to 'train' your DH how to feed you while you are recovering! And to stock the fridge with mini-meals just for you (so DH can cook himself whatever unhealthy thing he chooses)
Debbie (Lexxiss) - Hope the pool was good. Great preparation and planning happening. Enjoy your short break
Onebyone - Yay for meeting your 60% target and drat for the 280s hanging around. Ouch for tactless SIL. Hope you get your work finished
BlueDaisy - I like your idea for a reward. It ticks all the right boxes. Great list of credits and great commitment
BillBlueEyes - Looks like the rain is sharing itself around. I am not sure I will ever get to the stage where a really small serve seems enough. Your progress is a reminder that it can happen
Shepherdess - LOL that chaos effects my scale reading. Ouch for the wind and no outside exercise. Pool exercise is better for my knees but I only got there when I was on sick leave - it is on at lunch time where I live (an hour from where I work) so it really isn't possible any more
Gardenerjoy - Yay for a spontaneous hunger experiment. And another big yay for new clothes that are smaller

Credits
- Food on plan 80%
- Weighed myself (down 1lb to 215.2)
- A plan for eating lunch out today
- Checked in
- Exercised - did weights!

Have a good day
Old 12-02-2010, 02:32 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beckies - thank goodness for Pepto Bismol and Immodium. These two medicines were on my gratitude list today! Things are calming down inside. I had ginger ale and crackers yesterday. Today is toast, applesauce, and a little bit of canned chicken soup - it’s ‘staying put’. I still have body aches - but, I can take some Tylenol.

Thanks to everyone for being so kind and supportive as I face yet another road block. Doctor said I could not reschedule for 2-3 weeks. I don’t know when yet. DH and I will figure it out. (when I feel better)

One of my neighbors (not the ones with all the kids) asked DH if he thought I had a ‘mental block’ about doing this surgery. I am so hurt by that question. Yes - three times cancelling a surgery is rare, but, not due to me being too scared to do it. I have had surgeries before. I know what it’s about. I couldn’t create a staph infection or toxic allergic reaction to an ointment in my mind. Or - have a sprained ankle/foot in my mind. (I am guilty of being somewhat uncoordinated) I’ll tell you one thing - this flu I have could not be brought on by being nervous. (plus my mom had it - probably where I caught it) Just hurtful. Oh well.

A few personals.

Gardner joy - that cyber hug sure feels good. I’d love some chicken soup. Thanks.

Onebyone - glad dh likes his job so far. Yes - you are right! I need bubble wrap and a face mask. LOL

Shepardess - thanks - glad you could get in some yoga in - despite the cold weather. Credit

Billbe - I appreciate your supportive thoughts - I agree -DH is a jewel, indeed. Glad you had your umbrella for your walk in the rain.

blue daisy - WELCOME! Glad you posted! All those credits - very commendable. The chapter on traveling is very helpful - as are the response cards.

Maryblu - glad you woke up feeling hungry. Feeling and recognizing hunger is an important skill.

Seadwaters - a really rainy day is a great day for marking. Yes... you felt like crying and I was crying. Thanks. Amazing turn of events. Yes...I'll cook more things for the freezer. I'll have time. Credit for throwing away the chips!!

Lexxiss - thanks. Glad you are back in your groove.

Time for a nap. Thanks again.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 12-02-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:46 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default Omg

Beverlyjoy, I just read your post about the flu and no/go on surgery. I cannot believe your bad luck. It is just incredible. I am so sorry. As for the big dummy neighbor, rarely have I been so PO-ed about *anything I have read on 3FC. What a dipstick! It's one thing to perhaps think it, but to be so tactless as to ask your husband, I can't believe it. Credit DH, btw, for not punching him in the nose. As if you need this hanging over you AGAIN. !%@@%^#@%^@ Sorry guys, just had to get this off my chest!

BillBE, I just throw the unused yolk away. Still cheepa than using Egg Beaters. I used to give it to my old dawg for a shiny coat, but I haven't given my new dawgs any people food at all. My BFF laid a guilt trip on me for that at Thanksgiving. As if they need some turkey skin anymore than I do! I just said no.

Am watching the weather making news....from tornadoes in Atlanta to Lake Effect Snow in Buffalo to BIG snow in the U.K. Wow.

We have another snow dump on the way, but at least it is weather we expect. are prepared for, and can deal with. Tornadoes in Dec. is just wrong.

Best to all
Old 12-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Just a quick check in- and not to report that I am on program, because I have not been all week. Plus I have a killer cold and am just in a blah state. Need to pull it together this weekend.

Beverlyjoy- I just can't believe this happened to you. So sorry that you have not been able to just get this surgery over with. But thank goodness you did not get the flu just after surgery- that would have been terrible too. Can't imagine how disappointing and frustrating this must be. And IMHO your neighbour is a bonehead. Really who would think such a thing. Some people are so ridiculous.

That's all- the only credit today is for checking in here.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:31 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 168/ticker/155

Height: 5'7"

Hi everyone!
Welcome Blue Daisy
This will be a quick check-in since I need to get dinner on the table and then we're going to decorate the tree.

I have NOT been sticking with my plan for the past 2 days. I would estimate that I've been about 80% OP. I'm not sure what's going on, but could be that I'm over-thinking medication changes, lab results, etc. I WILL keep trying.

Credits
-making a food and exercise plan, every evening
-2.5 miles on the treadmill this morning
-getting out of bed at almost normal time, despite insomnia
-ordered a Happy Light (RXed by Psychiatric Nurse)

and that, my friends, is all I can come up with.

Beverlyjoy: ugh, I'm so sorry about your flu interruption. Waiting is so hard. My thoughts are with you.

Marci
Old 12-02-2010, 09:01 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 161.8/153.4/ low 140's

Height: 5'7"

Default Day 5

Hi all,

Well it happened...I knew it would and I was dreading it, a bit fearful, not sure how I would respond. My body has been adjusting to my more controlled eating (no late night & weekend bingeing) so I have been experiencing some pretty quick weight loss. Most likely due to water loss. But the quick weight loss seems to have stopped and I actually went up 0.2 lbs this morning. I was really concerned I would get discouraged. To my surprise, I handled it with a mental, "Oh well". Dr. Beck suggested using that response as a shorthand to saying ....I don't like this situation but I can't change it, so I may as well accept reality and move on. I was also glad that the slight increase in weight did not take me back to less than a 5lb weight loss so I got to keep the bracelet.

Credits:
Weighed once--- +0.2 lbs...total loss 5 lbs
Read Response and Advantages Card
Made Food Plan
Ate on plan
Ate all food sitting down...meals were slower, snacks a bit faster. (I'm eating yogurt for snacks so it's kinda hard to eat it real slowly )

I'm new at giving this type of feedback. I apologize ahead of time if I offend or don't do it correctly, it would truly not be intentional. Please let me know if I do.

BillBlueEyes - What a wonderful result of working the program...to be "satisfied" with so much less. Two thumbs up for taking away the excuse for not going to the gym to exercise. I like the suggestion of telling people "decided to follow your doctor's advice and make your eating more healthy". I've actually been having some health issues related to my digestive system and this would be a true statement.

Lexxis - It's so nice to take a break. Hope you enjoy it. Kudos on the 5 days of planned meals, staying on plan and getting some exercise.

Shepherdness - Way to go on Food plan. You had planned to eat "not the healthiest" food and could have substituted it for something similar but instead CHOOSE to eat something healthier. And also provided a great example of "I can always plan to eat it later."
Bummer on not being able to exercise outdoors. It feels so good to have the sun on your face and breathe in fresh air. But kudos for doing the yoga even though would have rather exercised outdoors. Great way to stay out of the "black or white" perfectionist thinking.

onebyone - It's hard not to let the negative attitudes of others affect us. I've found I'm a lot like a computer..."junk in, junk out". That's why I find reading the Response and Advantage cards daily are so important to me...like I'm reprogramming myself.

gardenerjoy - Isn't it so neat to not miss food...eating to live instead of living to eat. Sounds like you had fun shopping. Thanks for the tip to use the bracelet as a "credit" reminder.

seadwaters - Great planning idea for the work lunch. I think I'll borrow that for my own future similar occasions.

BeverlyJoy - Oh my heart goes out to you. I do hope you get over this flu soon. And I am also sorry that your feeling were hurt. People say unthoughtful and unkind things usually without even thinking of the effect on the person they are speaking of. Maybe you could use Dr. Beck's suggestion as well and mentally think "Oh well"...if that helps.

I will be traveling tomorrow and Saturday for my youngest son's soccer tournament. I hope to be able to check-in tomorrow night but not sure of the schedule, etc.

Hope all have a great evening and a wonderful tomorrow.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:27 AM   #26  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating OP; CREDIT moi. Starting a cold with that nasty throaty stuff. Didn't walk, but sat with hot tea and zinc cough drops. CREDIT moi for not using this as an excuse to over snack and over eat. Gotta get over this as I have a heavily scheduled weekend.

maryblu - Ouch for the snow dump on its way - however seasonally appropriate. Interesting thought about dogs and people food. Nevertheless, every time we have salmon we cherish the memory of our Aussie savoring the skin. That dog loved her salmon, and she made it 15 years so it can't be that bad.

onebyone - Congrats for "Best in Show" - just another example that you are "not the stereotype female" anywhere in your life and won't be with your health and weight. Kudos for 62% and 66% green light foods.

CeeJay - Emailing some chicken soup to cure that cold. Perhaps I've caught it from you. Kudos for giving yourself credit for checking in.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Too busy to snack? What a delightful state of existence. Congrats for taking the effort to buy yourself a professional jacket - my favorite gardener hates to get out of her jeans when the sun is shining.

Shepherdess - Is that ever a good twist to a story, "Instead, we came home and made something healthy." I certainly can understand why December is the favorite month for . . . your rams, LOL.

Beverlyjoy - Yay for naps, Tylenol, Pepto Bismol, and Imodium - gifts from the gods all. Hope that you find something special to do today to recover from not needing to be in recovery.

My take is that your neighbor's question is tactless and crude under any circumstance but additionally shallow and clueless under the specifics of your history. It's worth no more than shrugging it off. She doesn't sound like the bright bulb in the chandelier.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Big Ouch for the pricey dental work quote. Hope you can sort out the needed from the "sort of needs doing." Kudos for plan in "A plan for eating lunch out today" - love being reminded that planning is key to what Beck is telling us.

Marci (madrikh) - Kudos for ordering a "Happy Light" - it's good work to try something that might just be helpful. Do give yourself credit for 80% OP. That's not perfect, but a long way from falling off the wagon.

Blue Daisy - Accepting your first scale uptick wiggle with "Oh well" is worthy of a Big Kudos - you got your head in the right place. And Kudos again for tackling a full suite of personal responses. Good luck with your eating plan and exercise plan while traveling with your son's soccer team. And hope his team wins!

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 11
When to Stop Losing and Start Maintaining
At some point, you'll stop losing
weight
and it will no longer be sensible for
you to decrease your caloric intake
or to increase your exercise.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 272.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:07 AM   #27  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

It was nice to get back to the pool and I'm going skiing today. I had to outwit the inner sabatour that still tells me I can't do things, and hinted that I could postpone skiing until another day. *credit* for having faith in my "new self". Food was OP, but took a twist yesterday with a substitute dinner. I told my ski buddy that I would meet up after lunch, which allows me time to refuel with healthy food.

BillBlueEyes, remembering that half a dinner can be re-enjoyed for lunch is such a successful strategy! Yay for umbrellas-they aren't needed at the pool but most of us have a winter hat set aside just for our pooling. I hope you are on the road to a quick recovery, and *credit* for not using your nasty stuff as an excuse to oversnack and overeat.

Shepherdess, good call postponing the pizza because you weren't hungry. Yes, there is always another day.

mavimai,

gardenerjoy, yes! I am always amazed how I can get so busy and not miss the food. It is helpful to remind myself that it works the opposite way, too. If I'm "feeling" hungry and it's not time...those distraction techniques really work.

onebyone, I have found that the "I'll show you" attitude has helped me through some tough times. I'm almost 53 now and am trying to buck that tide of the stereotypical female, too. Perhaps next time you could pick the healthiest restaurant around, order super healthy and just slowly savor every bite...Credit for 2 meals OP , exercise AND meeting your 60% goal. Congratulations on your award!

Cheryl(seadwaters), Yay for pitching the hot chips after buying them. Your plan for the work lunch is very sensible.

Beverlyjoy, BBE's comment regarding your neighbor hit home with me. Know that you do not have to justify your flu with us-we understand.

maryblu, be safe with the impending storm.

CeeJay, get well soon!

Marci(madrikh
), I hope the Happy Light is helpful. We used to use them in Alaska with great success. Credit for 80% OP as you deal with medication issues and lab results.

Blue Daisy, I think that the learning process of being less emotional about the ups and downs of weightloss is so beneficial. *credit* for working on Beck principles which allow for that growth.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:54 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

Food was OP yesterday. We went out for pizza and I stuck to my plan. We also went out to see Harry Potter, which has nothing to do with my diet, but it’s nice to have a night out.

When I checked the weather report yesterday morning, the high wind warning was still in effect, but it was relatively calm in the morning. I headed out for a run first thing, which meant the sheep got fed a little later, but my dog and I desperately needed a good run. The wind was starting to pick up a bit by the end of the run, but nothing too terrible. I’m glad I took the opportunity since it doesn’t look like I’ll be so lucky today.

Onebyone, congrats on winning Best in Show! Great job keeping 66% greenlight when you went out to lunch with your SIL. It’s frustrating when you have a family member with an attitude like that, but you can do this! Glad to hear things are going well for your DH and hope he gets the logistics figured out!

Gardenerjoy, wow for skipping too snacks because you were busy. I never seem to remember that hunger isn’t an emergency. Maybe I need a refresher on the hunger experiment. Yay for a size 12 jacket!

Seadwaters, yikes for expensive dental work. That would probably send me into a basket of chips. Great job throwing them out! It’s too bad the pool exercise doesn’t fit into your schedule, since it seemed to be something you enjoyed. I suppose, even if it were closer, it would be hard to do it mid-day and get ready again for work.

Beverlyjoy, sorry about the hurtful question for your neighbor. It was clearly something said thoughtlessly. Hugs for your string of bad luck trying to get this surgery underway. It’s a hard thing to have it continually looming in the future without a good idea of when it will be resolved. Great job taking care of yourself while sick.

Maryblu, LOL at dogs not needing turkey skin. My DH and I are often accused of spoiling our dogs since they do get egg yolks, DH’s steak and lamb bones and meat scraps, etc. And despite all of this, the same people wonder whether or not we are feeding our dogs enough.

CeeJay, yuck for a killer cold. You’ve had a lot going on and you don’t need to be sick on top of that! Great job checking in and getting committed to getting back OP.

Madrikh, don’t beat yourself up for 80% OP. Sometimes, when life gets difficult that is a huge success. Kudos for your determination. Decorating the tree sounds like fun!

Blue Daisy, great job having a good attitude towards the scale. And you’re still at a 5 lb loss, which is great! It can sometimes get discouraging when the scale slows down, but it helps me to remember that slow and steady is the way to lasting weight loss. Some experts suggest that the fastest people should lose is approximately 10% of body weight every 6 months.

BillBE, yuck for “nasty throaty stuff.” It’s the season, I suppose. Hot tea and zinc drops is a much better response than extra snacking. Kudos for properly taking care of yourself. Hope you kick this soon!

Lexxis, yay for skiing! I’ve been hearing lots a lot about the amazing ski conditions in Jackson, and I imagine that’s true across the CO Rockies as well! You have a good plan to keep lunch healthy.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #29  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday was a day. I like days that are just days as far as food and exercise are concerned. No drama, no stories, just sane living.

WI: +0.3kg, Exercise: +50 100/1500 minutes for December, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

onebyone: congrats on the Best In Show award! That's awesome!
Old 12-03-2010, 03:17 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beck folks - feeling some better - tummy improving - still body aches. I realized that I need to ‘watch’ what I eat even after the flu. Today I got up and thought ‘I could eat all the saltine crackers that I want‘. Gosh….‘I’ve been sick.’ But, really - that is a sabotaging thought. So, even though I am eating bland food I am still keeping track. (credit)

DH has come down with a cold. I went to the grocery to get him some OJ and a few of the things he likes when he doesn’t feel good. I was exhausted when I got back. I still need to pace myself. I am staying home a couple more days.

Thanks to you all for listening to my rant about my tactless neighbor. I appreciate your support. BTW - DH set him straight. (nicely)

Maryblu - glad you are ready to cope with your crazy weather. Yes - my neighbor is all those things. You put it very well. He is a grouch. I appreciate you caring that he hurt my feelings.

Ceejay - credit for staying op all week - with a cold, too. Take care and feel better soon. I appreciate you caring about how my neighbor didn’t get it. Thanks.

Marci - wow - 2.5 miles on the treadmill is awesome - major credit. Hope your tree decorating was fun. Thanks for your kind words about my flu.

bluedaisey - major credit for seeing your weight go up a tiny bit and not letting it affect you in a negative way. Awesome. I love how you are ‘shouting back’ at those sabotaging thoughts. Plus - you are utilizing so many Beck techniques. Well done. “Oh well’ sounds like a good response to my neighbor. Thanks.

Billbe - sorry to hear you aren’t feeling good. Credit for not overeating in response to feeling sick. You take care now. You said: My take is that your neighbor's question is tactless and crude under any circumstance but additionally shallow and clueless under the specifics of your history. I tend to agree. I don’t tell him my whole life story. I have a good friend who said something very similar to what you said. I am glad you both pointed it out. Shrugging it off is where I am now.

Lexxiss/Debbie - wonderful you speaking back to your ‘inner sabatour’ - I am glad you did it!!! Credit. Glad you could switch healthfully when you had to change dinner. Credit for being OP. Thank you for reinforcing what I already know - in regards to all the medical set backs I have encountered in the past months.

Shepardess - I am doing a mental pizza happy dance for you. It’s major to stay on plan at the pizza restaurant. CREDIT Glad you could get your run in. So happy you have a dog to run with. Thanks for the hug.

gardener joy - SO GLAD to hear that you had a good regular day with food. It’s what we all aim for.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 12-03-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Closed Thread