Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 11:16 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

Credits today:
Worked out with Rugby Girl,even though I wasn't feeling perfect, did 28 minutes after on the treadmill; only owe the Nordic Trak 12 more
Went to the store HUNGRY and tired after work and stayed on list, on plan without any 'treats' to get me home as in the old days
Dinner OP & yummy!
Made a plan for the week last night...usually I only plan 1 day at a time
Debits:
Let the pastries at my early morning meeting talk me into feeling hungry, by the end of the endless meeting I gave in and had a piece. But didn't let that ruin the rest of the day. And it wasn't even that good

Tonight:
Pack lunch
12 min/Trak
Read more Beck
Plan for Tuesday's party(I'm 1/2 way there: DH is making healthy soup for din so I'll not be hungry; I will choose 1" squares of only the best couple treats there; what else???)
Old 12-06-2010, 11:44 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 168/ticker/155

Height: 5'7"

Question Have I been missing something??

While re-reading some of the pink Beck book yesterday, it occurred to me that perhaps one of my problems is severe indoctrination by the "eat when you're hungry" crowd. Now, while that may sound like the noble thing to do, I apparently don't always know what true hunger feels like.

So here's my question: Is part of making a Plan, also include scheduling one's eating times? Too many days, I am just getting around to breakfast at 10:30 (even though I've been up for almost 4 hours) and by that time I'm ravenous and shaky and ready to grab anything. So goes the day.

For me, I think it would be sensible to eat my OP breakfast at 8:30, a snack at 10:30, lunch at 1 and so on. Too often, I am eating just whenever and not waiting for hunger. I figure if it's OP, I can eat it even if I just finished a meal.

Any advice? I'm ready for some tried and true "Beck Wisdom".

I have been doing better at eating OP the past 2 days. Although I did not do my planned walk on the treadmill this morning, I did shovel snow this afternoon

Thanks everyone!

Marci
Old 12-07-2010, 04:56 AM   #63  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Not as miserable. Grateful that colds seem to cure themselves despite whatever remedies we consume along with them. Eating was better than OP because my dinner was light (CREDIT moi). It was left over night and I had a cup of chili soup instead of a bowl (which we had recently measured to be two cups after halfheartedly wondering for years, LOL).

Had to dress warmly to walk to the gym (CREDIT moi) since we've finally joined the Northern Hemisphere and accepted the arrival of winter. Did my workout, CREDIT moi, with slightly reduced weights in recognition of not feeling up to snuff and the reality that skipping a few sessions of gym sets me back. But did all the dastardly lunges, every one.

CeeJay - Thanks for the Beck reminder, "...but hard times are normal..." - gotta remember that more often myself. Kudos for getting your entire list done and for getting right back on track. [LOL at, "To heck with White Christmas eh?" Methinks I'll never hear Frank Sinatra again the same way.]

Joy (gardenerjoy) - It does seem that getting a sane relationship with food allows digging into the intense without using food for a crutch. Thanks for pointing that out.

Shepherdess - I'm jealous of Christmas shopping done. LOL at sneaking in weights before your brain is awake enough to invent Sabotaging Thoughts.

Beverlyjoy - Planning. Hoping. Carrying on. - Your style.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yay for the South Beach folks for leading the way in avoiding the "whites."

Nature Girl - Ouch for "the endless meeting" offering pastries. With Kudos for not letting it get you off track for the rest of the day.

Marci (madrikh) - Re "eat when you're hungry": I tried that and it didn't work for me. After an initial period of strictly doing 3 meals a day, I've settled on 3 meals and 3 snacks - all scheduled (except dinner that happens when DW produces it). The part that matters to me is the Beck notion to know that I'm no more than 2 hours away from my last/next meal or snack so that I don't have to nibble because I'm hungry. The regularity helps me reduce food to fueling my day rather than always being an emotional affair. YMMV.

maryann - Ouch for chocolate dived into. Yay for determination even if it means early bed and old movies.

Blue Daisy - Kudos for "writing down a plan each day" - the most important step in my opinion. Yep, cold as an excuse not to exercise is a great Sabotaging Thought. BTDT.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 11
When to Stop Losing and Start Maintaining

You need an eating and exercise
plan you can comfortably live with
for
the rest of your life.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 275.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:12 AM   #64  
persist

S/C/G: 322/310/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post not in toronto afterall

Hi Coaches

I decided to stay home and not go with DH after all. I thought I had two meetings this week; turns out I have only one. I am still time-challenged it seems.

I keep thinking I am being unsupportive by not going. I did ask DH several times "if it was really okay" if I didn't go. He said yes, he understood, but I can't help feeling I should be there. Maybe I made a mistake by not going

O well.

Food-wise I overate at dinner last night on food I didn't even like. It was bland. I kept looking at it thinking I should throw it out, but I chose to eat it and went back for seconds. Is this not crazy behaviour? I think so.

So, for today, food from scratch is the plan as well as some planned exercise which I abandoned when DH came home on Friday night. During the time that he was back i gave myself permission to go off program. That's what I do.
I need to not do that.

Okay time to go get some work done around here.

Have a good Tuesday!

Last edited by onebyone; 12-07-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:37 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 173/185/ 165

Height: 5'6

I had a realization today. It was an old thought but it realy struck me. I'll write an advantage card " It is not hunger, it is fear masked as hunger." For me this is really true. The Zone Diet has completely taken hunger out of the equation for me. Anytime I have dived off plan, for me has been the result of fear under a layer of craving under a mask of hunger. This wasn't always the case. I used to starve myself and It really was hunger. No longer. I am going to read that card everyday for a week. Sunday I am off to SF again to see Xmas lights in Union Square and the Impressionist Exhibit at the DeYoung. I want the trip to be about family, art and Xmas - not about choosing whether to overeat. So I am prepping now.
Ceejay: I hear about the chocolate diving. Messy and discouraging but not permanent.
Everybody: Sounds like they are taking good solid steps this morning. It helps me to read about all of them.

Last edited by maryann; 12-07-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:35 AM   #66  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

My in-laws took us out to dinner for an early birthday celebration while my FIL was in town. We went to a new Indian Restaurant which is so very exciting for me. Iíve been wishing for good Indian food in town for a long time and now we have it! Unfortunately, I was too busy socializing and having a good time to pay attention to hunger cues and ate past satisfaction. I hate that over-full feeling. On a positive note, I still had enough leftovers to make another meal, so that over-full feeling definitely comes quicker now than when I started on this Beck journey.

I had a busy day yesterday and it kept me active all day, so I didnít get a chance to get a run in. Itís too bad, since the weather was great. But today looks nice too. I did some yoga, just to get some formal exercise and my shoulders and back desperately needed it.

Beverlyjoy, sorry to hear that you are struggling so much, but be sure to cut yourself some slack, since you have so much added stress right now. Kudos on maintaining a positive attitude and re-committing to your plan.

Maryann, ouch for a second meal out being too much for one day. I know all about that. Sometimes that resistance muscle just gets worn down, but you have the right idea. A little bit of success under your belt and you will be back to smooth sailing. Great job getting back on track so quickly. I love the ďfear masked as hunger card!Ē Great job identifying the emotion.

Blue Daisy, itís tough to find motivation for exercise when the weather turns cold. Great job committing to get back into the habit. It sounds like you are doing the right thing by adding some food to your plan, and itís good that youíre willing to use the scale for feedback. Too little food can derail a the best intentions pretty quick! (I speak from experience.)

CeeJay, hugs while youíre struggling, but itís great that getting back to Beck is a relief! That is one of my favorite Beck lines and has helped me get through some tough times, if I just remember to pull it out and use it! Kudos for getting back on track.

Nature girl, yay for Rugby Girl! Yikes for going to the store hungry, but great job sticking to your list. Ouch for the pastry at the endless meeting. It would have been tough to deal with that situation. Itís probably a good thing that it wasnít even worth it! Kudos for not letting it ruin your day.

Madrikh, ďeating when hungryĒ works great for some people and not for others. Try experimenting with scheduling meals and see how that works for you. Iím personally a scheduler, though I am working on getting to know those hunger cues. I hope to one day join the ďeat when hungryĒ crowd, but it may never happen for me. Iím glad Iíve found something that works.

BillBE, glad to hear you are on the mend. Yay for better than OP! I never thought of doing better than OP before. Iím so impressed that you went to the gym while still sick. A bit of exercise is supposed to help reduce the length of a cold, though not strenuous exercise. So it sounds like you did the right thing.

Onebyone, if your DH gives you permission to not go, you should give yourself permission. You need to take care of yourself as well. Do you think the guilt contributed to overeating? I certainly tend to overeat when dealing with strong emotions. Great job getting back on track and re-committing to the plan.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #67  
Green Tomatoes

Today is our 19th wedding anniversary. We have special plans, including an art gallery and the theater. DH fixed us french toast for breakfast. We'll be eating both lunch and supper out, but at places that serve lots of local food and healthy meals. I intend to focus on veggies and portion sizes and not worry overly much otherwise. I probably won't get any planned exercise, but I haven't missed a day yet this month, so that's okay.

WI: -0.05kg, Exercise: +50 280/1500 minutes for December, Food: 95%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

madrikh: I eat by the clock. Beck gives lip service to eating when you're hungry, but the change she helped me to make was the plan that I could then schedule. I remain convinced that my hunger mechanism is broken. Maybe it will heal someday, but it hasn't happened yet. In the meantime, planning three meals and three snacks and then eating them when it's time to eat them has made all the difference for me.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:11 PM   #68  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beck folks - yesterday was a healthy day. I am so grateful. I found the willingness to plan, keep track, write in my journal and be aware of the many things. I am working on to be healthier with food and eating. I wrote down my Beck tasks in my journal and was willing to address each one at the end of the day. I read my Arc/rc, drank lots of water, always left a bite, had no seconds and had several twirls when I resisted eating while cooking and cleaning up food. Yes, it was a more sane day with food.

Last Saturday DH came home with a some boxes of Nips (coffee, caramel, chocolate) They were on sale, he said….88 cents a box. I was not in a good place with food over the weekend. I ate alot of them. (even though it really didn’t feel that good in tummy) I was not willing to throw them away like I often do. So yesterday I told him that it would be so helpful to me if he kept candy and cookies out of the house, especially when I feel more vulnerable to sweets. Credit. He said he will.

Today I am taking my mom to the bank and the grocery. It’s way too cold for her to have to go warm up the car and all that. I got a few things too. The city put in a double round-about (thought of Boston, Billbe) near her apartment. It’s got her totally frazzled. She’s really sharp, still, for 87... But, this roundabout has her very spooked. I found a way for her to avoid and it will only be about five minutes longer of a drive. Hooray.

Maryann - you said: I need a few good days under my belt to get that resistance muscle back in working order. I can so relate to that. Credit for pushing through to stop the overeating and using your Beck tools.
For your post today - it sounds like you had a revelation about: ‘’It is not hunger, it is fear masked as hunger." Now that’s a thought you can ‘sink your teeth into’ - no pun intended. Your trip to SF sounds so fun.

Daiseyblue - many credits are wonderful! Planning is so good. So glad to hear that the cold weather is not going to stop you from getting in your exercise now…credit!

Ceejay - credit for being able to ‘forgive’ yourself about all the chocolate and moving on to plan for a healthy day. Many credits… wonderful.

Nature girl - major credit for getting through the grocery store tired and hungry and staying with your list!! Credit for not letting a pastry set you off for the rest of the day!

Marci - I’ve tried the 'eat when I am really hungry' plan. It just didn’t work for me. It helps to have a plan. Dr. Beck suggests to do it that way. I don’t have exact times when I’ll eat but, it‘s pretty predictable. I do, however, know I’ll have three meals and two snack during the day. I am thinking I’ll add something between breakfast and lunch, too. Shoveling counts as exercise, indeed!

Billbe - yes…it seems a cold’s length is almost predetermined by it’s strain - no matter what we do. I hope you’ll be over it soon. Glad you’ve been able to stay on plan and do some stuff at the gym. Pace yourself.

Onebyone - I am sorry you are struggling with your impending transitions and all it means in mean time. (out of town meetings, “ Am I being supportive” thoughts etc). It is hard to run away from the food when stress is in our face. All I can say is do the best you can. Try to plan. Hugs to you.

Shepardess - your supper celebration at the Indian restaurant sounds fun. Credit for realizing you may have eaten beyond fullness and having enough for another meal. Glad you could get your yoga in.

Gardener-joy - HAPPY ANNIVERSARY. Credit for planning to have a healthy meal in the midst of your celebration.

Seadwaters - many credits…including planning and packing your lunch. Well done!

Lexxiss /Debbie - you said: I was going to type "I've been hungry all day", and recognized that what I needed to say is "I've wanted to eat all day". It has nothing to do with hunger. Major credit for having that realization. Credit for living and dealing with many frustrations and not overeating! Yes…that menu written down surely does help keep those ‘what will I eat’ thoughts from spinning around in your head. Credit for your good willingness. It’s all about the willingness for me, too. - always has been.

Have a Beck day, friends.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 12-07-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #69  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello Beck friends

I've been trying to focus on "me" as yet another family drama unfolds. Sadly, I can't really do much to "help" so I'm working with some of my Beck tools. I am reminded that the book says this may happen. My distraction technique was to tear my office apart and make it more functional. The file cabinet is now out of the closet and I have a new desk which I found on sale at the local office store. I DID grab a handful of an OP snack right after lunch and hosed it while standing. I took a few moments to remind myself that the project at hand was not a justification of a free for all with food. I reminded myself that it was not in my plan to eat through it and I didn't. The office looks nice. I am going to bake a treat for us tonight, which is in my plan today. Planned exercise was at the pool and spontaneous exercise seems to be carrying my 50# dog up and down the stairs when needed.

Beverlyjoy, * credit* for your good willingness, too. I agree it is all about willingness. *credit* for requesting that DH help in not bringing all the junk food in. I asked last week, too, and it has been quite nice to have a break. I am making sure there are healthy options for him, and when he's craving, I remind him of those healthy options.

BillBlueEyes, yay for finally measuring that chili soup. Now you know. *credit* also for walking to the gym and doing all of your dastardly lunges.

gardenerjoy, Happy Anniversary! You day sounds fun and Beck focused!

Shepherdess, aha, a reminder that even fun distractions (socializing and having a good time) lead us to forget to focus on our eating. *credit* for having leftovers, even when you did feel over-full.

maryann, that is a very powerful advantage card. Fear masked as hunger is a very good description of why I often eat off plan. Now that you have your card, you can plan ahead for a successful trip to SFO.

onebyone, sometimes it is hard, but it's a big step to make a decision based on yourself sometimes. *credit* for getting right back on track with a food and exercise plan.

Marci(madrikh), I definitely have a planned time for meals, although I let myself be a bit flexible with snacks. Breakfast is where I have a steadfast rule, which is I NEVER leave the house without having my green smoothie and vitamins. I also have a 3 cup of coffee limit before I have my breakfast. This eliminates the ravenous and shaky time, when no amount of nourishment seems to help. I do not WAIT for hunger, and as others have mentioned I think my "hunger" mechanism is dysfunctional. *credit* for being OP, reading Beck and shoveling snow.

NatureGirl, I think having a list at the grocery is such a successful strategy for the store. *credit* for making a plan for the entire week and for getting right back on track after the endless meeting and junky food.

CeeJay, reading your post, I saw a bit of me. It's that whole description of great relief in doing all you set out to do VS plenty of chocolate. Why I do it when I feel so much better doing all my tasks is just plain old self sabotage. Credit for a day filled with relief.

BlueDaisy, *credit* for rewriting some of your advantage cards and recognizing that you've been giving yourself excuses not to exercise.

Cheryl(seadwaters), Thinking of you just reminded me I need to call the dentist. Oh, well.

Ok, it's time to get to the business of dinner preparation before it gets too late. Dinner is usually between 5:30 and 6:00.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #70  

S/C/G: 161.8/153.4/ low 140's

Default Day 9

Good afternoon Beckies,

This is a quick check in. I forgot my youngest son had an Athletic Awards program tonight. He's the one who is the sweeper for his soccer team and also runs Cross Country. He won the Rookie of the year award for his Cross Country team. Sounds like he maybe starting wrestling this week and I was told tonight the Football coaches are scouting him for the team next year. I just don't know about football all the injuries, etc.
Anyway, I'm just getting home a little while ago. Ate off plan for dinner. Expected to be home but was out at the Awards program. The restaurant my son wanted to go to didn't have any of the foods I had on my plan. Also didn't get to exercise today...once again.

Credits:
Weighed in - -0.8 total down 6.8 lbs 155.0 lbs

Read Response and Advantage Cards

Wrote out Food Plan but didn't follow Dinner plan

Check in

Hope all have a good night and a wonderful tomorrow.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:18 AM   #71  

S/C/G: 168/ticker/155

Hello friends!
Thanks for the great input on scheduling my eating. I am going to do this, to the best of my ability, as my hunger and fullness signals are certainly faulty!

Credits
-treadmill: 2.7 miles this morning
-ate OP today!! (except for the things I didn't eat)
-made my plan for eating and exercise tomorrow
-ate about 90% of food sitting down
-ate mindfully, except dinner
-Checked in
-went to bed at a decent hour (Now!!)

Until tomorrow....

Marci
Old 12-08-2010, 04:54 AM   #72  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Slowly getting less coughy. Had a one-on-one meeting in a small room and sucked zinc like crazy to avoid grossing out my friend. Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. Had my second lunch from the left over curried shrimp from the Indian restaurant.

Walked (CREDIT moi) to Whole Foods for peanut butter - I do enjoy flipping the switch and grinding out a pint of the stuff from the visible vat of roasted peanuts - and to Trader Joe's for walnuts. I sampled samples without even thinking about it; Ouch - I seem to have conquered Costco but not those two.

onebyone - Ouch for the emotional fallout of choices made. I've suffered from that feeling when I wish I could have been with my family and with my job commitments both. Good use of Oh Well and moving on.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Happy 19th anniversary; may you have many more. Sound like a fun day planned.

Shepherdess - Happy Birthday (for whichever day this month). Super neat to have a new Indian restaurant since they always have so many superb vegetarian choices - without the feeling that they are dishes tacked onto the real menu for weirdos, LOL.

Beverlyjoy - Yay for "twirls" - a great sign that your head is in working order. Ouch for unmentionables on sale; I hate that sales on junk still appeal to me.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Kudos for being able to see your "me" during a crisis. I love the notion of a new desk as an incentive to get organized.

Marci (madrikh) - Yep, I think my hunger and fullness signals are a bit faulty also. I don't know if they return over time; I'll let you know, LOL.

maryann - Your insight, "fear masked as hunger" intrigues me. I'll cogitate on that next time I feel hunger - which usually happens when I'm stressed, unrelated to the time since last meal. By the by, my thanks to the walnut farmers of California that I can drop by Trader Joe's and just pick up a bag anytime.

Blue Daisy - Big Congratulations to your "Rookie of the year" with extra Congratulations to his mother who drove him back and forth a zillion times. Life has unexpected (or forgotten) events; my strategy is to have a backup plan for restaurants that I fall back on so that I feel that I've remained on plan for the day.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 11
When to Stop Losing and Start Maintaining

But I Want to be Thinner!

This is a statement I hear a lot. You recognize that you've reached your Lowest Maintainable Weight, but you don't want to accept it. You really want to be thinner. You're thinking, I don't like how I look at this weight. You can do a number of things if you're unhappy with your Lowest Maintainable Weight.

Continue to enrich your life. If you haven't already, it's now time to do all the things you put off until you lost weight, as discussed on Day 40 (pages 256-260). The richer your social, family, work, spiritual, intellectual, creative, and recreational life, the less you'll focus on your weight. Compared to these important aspects of your experience, the desire to be even thinner is really superficial, isn't it?
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 275.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:28 AM   #73  
persist

S/C/G: 322/310/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post Wednesday check-in and the "real" moving and packing and clean up begins.

Hi Coaches

A hard-won credit for me from yesterday. I walked to the mall and met a friend who wanted to buy two of my brooches. She had coffee and we talked and I didn't get a coffee or a treat credit but after she left I looked at all the fancy schmancy treats in the mall and wandered through a store with exotic treats and I looked and touched them and desired them like crazy and forced myself to walk out of there with nothing then as I was heading out of the mall the non-stop chatter was to buy chocolate "get some c... just go to the cash with it and get some... bring some home... just get one..." and on and on until I felt so tormented I had to walk fast out of there for fear that I would find myself at the cash with some in hand and be bringing it home to what EAT IT of course! I -just-didn't-do-it. And instead, after a while, I made myself my cucumber/tomato/cheese salad for dinner that I'd been resisting making cause I hate to make salads for some reason though I love to eat them. I did eat A LOT of salad, like a huge salad bowl (did I tell you I have trouble with portion control? haha!) but I'll take a credit for that anyway as a big big bowl of veggies and some cheese is OP food. Crappy chocolate is not helpful to me in anyway whatsoever... and is certainly not a meal.

My plan for today is to roast a turkey. We bought 2 small ones when it was thanksgiving and I am going to cook that bird and feast off of it for the next three days and freeze what I don't eat and make soup and/or stew with the rest and freeze that for meals-in-the-future. While the turkey is roasting, I have a few quick drawings to do today (six!) and I have other drawings to add to. (I'm in a drawing group with two others and we are working on a project.) I also want to get the front entryway "finished" as in packed up for either throwing away, giving away, or keeping. I don't have any boxes yet so I'll use garbage bags. I'm in a quandary over the full length fake fur coat that DH bought me about 3 years ago for my birthday that almost fit me then but has since become smaller and smaller on me as I grew bigger and bigger. It is a classic coat, my dream winter coat in fact but I have, alas, never worn it. *sigh* no BIG SIGH + + If it fit me, I would definitely wear it today. I think I am going to keep it though it doesn't fit the criteria of anyone's "decluttering" method. Maybe seeing it again will help me stay true to my foodplan and exercising? I am sure I'll have several more opportunities to feel like this over other clothes and other things as I start to pack and clear out the house. DH said he was doing good at the new job and he thinks we'll probably take a place near his work for a year or so then as we settle in we can choose where we'd like to live afterwards once we explore the city a bit. He's so sensible and way way more flexible than he used to be. it's amazing what a good job, outside recognition and a feeling of being useful will do to someone. I wish this for us all!

credits
  • weighed yesterday and today: 283.8 & 282.0
  • made a plan for today
  • cooking from scratch yesterday
  • walked to the mall and back

working on
  • deliberate planned exercise of 5 minutes today
  • no seconds
  • no sugary drinks
  • read some Beck in one of her books today
  • re-do my ARC cards - make my goals stronger and clearer so they sink in!!
Old 12-08-2010, 08:51 AM   #74  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

I had a very nice, quiet birthday dinner at home with DH last night. He picked up a fancy cake mix and we made a birthday cake together. It tastes a lot better than it looks. The cake is very rich and a little goes a long way. I had planned for some dessert last night and now Iíll have to figure out how to deal with the rest of the cake.

We were having nice weather yesterday and I was able to get my run in.

Gardenerjoy, congrats on 19 years! Itís great that you will celebrate at restaurants with lots of healthy options on the menu.

Beverlyjoy, great job on a healthy food day. Itís nice that you can enlist your DHís support. Sometimes I am strong enough to handle temptation and other times, it canít be anywhere near me.

Lexxis, ouch for family drama unfolding. Hoping you can keep grounded through it all. Great job on staying OP when through the drama and for getting pool exercise as well as some pretty serious spontaneous exercise.

Blue Daisy, congrats on your sonís rookie of the year award! Donít beat yourself up too much over your dinner. Itís tough when your plan gets derailed. It all just takes practice on learning to be flexible enough to make the best choices in that situation.

Madrikh, Iím another one with a short circuit in the hunger center of the brain. I try to pay attention to how Iím feeling when I sit down to eat and hope that one day, Iíll fix my brain. Kudos for being willing to give scheduling a try.

BillBE, yay for leftover Indian food for lunch. Youíre right about the vegetarian choices; it was one of those rare times when I had trouble deciding what to have. Glad your cough is easing a little at a time.

Onebyone, big kudos for facing down those voices and avoiding buying off plan chocolate and then going on to have an OP salad! Keeping the fur coat is a great sign of optimism! Stick to your plan and it can be a reward for all your hard work.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:41 AM   #75  
Green Tomatoes

We had a good day yesterday and my eating was fine for a special day, if not everyday. The best was off the "spa menu" at last night's restaurant -- an amazing salad with bitter greens and a sweet cranberry dressing followed by multigrain risotto with autumn vegetables.

WI: +0.3kg, Exercise: +0 280/1500 minutes for December, Food: 70%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: no

Beverlyjoy: I'm glad you've managed to get back on track with so many challenges.

Lexxiss: Hugs for the new family drama. Glad you found an appropriate and rewarding distraction.

BlueDaisy: congrats to your son! Good job getting right back here to check in when things didn't go according to plan. These things happen -- it's the getting right back to it that makes the difference.

madrikh: yay for all those credits! I was kind of surprised at the consistency of the answers you got to your scheduling question. Intuitive eating apparently works for some people, but I suspect not most of the ones that find themselves at 3FC and reading the Beck books.

BillBlueEyes: glad you're feeling better

onebyone: Big credit for flexing that resistance muscle!
I have evolved into a big salad eater -- usually two large salads a day unless supper contains enough vegetables that I don't want a salad, too. My current theory is that I've been an overeater for so long that I am not going to be happy unless I eat a large volume of food. The only way to eat the volume of food that I want without getting too many calories is to eat salad. For awhile I was telling myself that I am still an overeater, it's just now I overeat vegetables! But I've decided that's not true. There are plenty of nutritionists that want us to get six or more servings of vegetables a day. My salads are each about three servings of vegetables and I often get another serving or two besides, so at 6-8 servings a day I'm not overeating vegetables!
I also need to work out something to make fixing salads more fun, though. Maybe putting some music on would help?

Shepherdess: sounds like a lovely birthday celebration!
Closed Thread