Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 10:11 AM   #151  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Our business thing unexpectedly went just the way it should have last night. So, I have new business wisdom to impart -- stand up to bullies! We were the David against a Goliath and we stood our ground armed only with good information and good networking (aka librarian skills). At the very last possible moment, they conformed exactly to the terms of the framework we were working under in spite of all the threats and condescension that's been going on for several months.

Still dealing with back pain. I'm not weighing myself right now mostly because I don't want to bend over and move the scale to the right spot! Also, because I'm not sleeping, so I get up hungry and want nothing except breakfast and pain pills when I first get up.

Librarians like it when others adopt our fashions. Making our profession look cool is surprisingly important both as a recruitment tool and as a way to get more people to use libraries and library services.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:37 AM   #152  
persist

S/C/G: 322/310/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation Thursday morning

Hi Coaches

I'm halfway through the making of my potluck contribution. I forget how much I like to cook things outside of the everyday fare. Even though I have *confession time*no clear surface to work on but the bit in front of the coffee maker and the bit beside the sink (my kitchen table is COVERED with stuff and not usuable and I didn't make a plan to clear it off either). So given this, I am still glad I decided to make something. I'm just waiting for it all to cool before I get to the last and final stage.

I have an art school alumni show I am supposed to drop something off to today or tomorrow. I sure don't feel like going. I need to go today because we leave tomorrow. It's completely across town, but in reality, just a 20 minute drive so I should just go. It's more that I don't have anything new to drop off. I just haven't made any Art in the last year and that's weird. I don't forsee making anything now until after I have moved and settled down. It could be months. Oh well.

Foodwise I am licking the bowl, dipping spoons into the batter and eating a spoonful here and there, plus I put off eating breakfast too long so ate 2x the amount of bread I would have. I am slipping this morning. It's why I decided to post here before the rest of my day slipped away. I started off badly by weighing in higher than I wanted: 277.2 (credit for weighing). I wanted to see 275 again. I wanted to see 275 so I can see 275 tomorrow after the potluck event and before the restaurnat xmas dinner party and the weekend at C's mom's house where there will be lots of goodies pushed at me.

I'm not feeling very strong to say no. Do it anyway I guess... or I need to think how great I'll feel if I DO resist.

I have my planned lunch heating up - by then I should be done my potluck dish and I can eat, get my alumni thing together and deliver it, come back and do my hair, and get ready for the party tonight.
Busy.
But if I am busy then I am not eating or thinking of eating... distraction techniques rock.

Have a good day Becksters.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:48 AM   #153  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

I guess I'm feeling a little more focused than last time I posted; I wrote a plan this morning that was very simple. Three meals planned simply, a time and plan for work out, two snack options, and read some Beck. I followed this with only appropriate modifications having to do with working out at lunch time and having some hypoglycemia issues. I don't know where I'm at with Beck skills like sitting down to eat, etc. but I guess if I'm eating right & exercising, that's most of the battle, eh?
Credits:
+stuck to the Nordic Trak for 30 minutes; it's boredom not overexertion that gets to me.
+avoided all the treats while we were shopping, and NO CHOICE to free chocolate pudding desert
+simple plan=success=confidence to keep trying
Old 12-17-2010, 05:13 AM   #154  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up T G I F

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Lunch at a restaurant with friends was on-plan with my favorite Portobello stack. Big deal was avoiding the bread basket for a long wait to be served; CREDIT moi. A package arrived with homemade Christmas cookies. I tried to picture them as sugar and lard and had none; CREDIT moi. Some two dozen cookies at 100 calories each is 2400 calories - about two thirds of a pound to be added onto my frame without any particular joy. What an evil tradition.

A big challenge happens today at an early evening company Christmas party. There will be large dishes of so-so Chinese foods, including General Gao's Chicken and fried rice - both old favorites sporting high calories. My plan is to find something that includes some veggies, to have one serving, to eat sitting down, and to avoid the tables of desserts and liquid calories.

onebyone - What a great reminder, "distraction techniques rock." Have a safe drive to Toronto and a grand party this evening. And may you survive DH's food pushing mom.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Viva Librarians!!! for using information to stand down bullying. What a sweet victory to savor. Hoping for you that this pain business just gets done.

Shepherdess - Neat that you made candy and still stayed OP. LOL at the image of you wandering and wondering in your kitchen.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yay for a healthy dinner with a fellow 3FC beacher in New Mexico. Ouch for salsa and chips; I've never learned to avoid those - restriction is the best I've done. Wonder what quinoa did to covert itself from red to green.

Nature Girl - Such power in simple plans; Kudos. Hope you find a solution to the Nordic Trak boredom issue and let me know.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 11
When to Stop Losing and Start Maintaining
The richer your life, the less
you'll focus on your weight.
The Beck Diet Solution, pg 276.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:39 AM   #155  
Green Tomatoes

I slept last night and my back has noticeably improved a little. I'm going to try to move a tick closer to normal today. Although, I wouldn't have weighed myself if I'd known it was going to be that high. Oh well. I suspect it reflects too much sodium more than too many calories the last few days.

I intend to build a rainbow in the Wii Walk It Out game as my first foray back into exercise.

WI: +1.65kg, Exercise: +0 415/1500 minutes for December, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

onebyone: love this "distraction techniques rock."

NatureGirl: love this, too "simple plan=success=confidence to keep trying"

BillBlueEyes: good job facing down the seasonal challenges! Plus, thanks for being the rock of our little world here. I'm so grateful that I can phone it in for a few days and know this place will still be here when I'm ready to leap back in.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #156  

S/C/G: 173/185/ 165

Height: 5'6

I am celebrating my first day of vacation by watching "An Affair to Remember" and doing laundry. It feels great to putter. I have a high energy/ frontline of humanity kind of job and it is important for me to spend some alone time or I begin to feel desperate. I am grateful for today. The unstructured time, though, gave rise to me eating my lunch at 10:30. Oops! I plan to read my cards, write down the rest of the food for today and chant "hunger is not an emergency." I think some of the early lunch was the result of the discussion I had with my husband about our extended families. Everyone seems in disarray this season for various reasons - his family has lost the mom and dad, my sisters and brothers are in financial straits. I worry about them and maybe the worry made me a little hungrier. Oh Well. Our little nuclear family is really all we can control - that and keep best thoughts for everyone.
A cheer out to all. Personal tom.

Last edited by maryann; 12-17-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:56 AM   #157  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Had a simple lunch of sardines on the Romaine Lettuce in my Man Salad, CREDIT moi, in preparation for facing the Chinese spread at the Christmas party, at which I arrived with a plan. And it worked, as Beck suggests, planning works. I sat and talked with my friends as they had their first plates, then when they got their seconds, as planned I had one plate of the only three dishes that were mostly veggies plus a small serving of that lean red pork called Chinese spareribs. No General Gao's Chicken. No fried rice. No noodles of various types. No white rice. No liquid calories. No dessert tables. CREDIT moi, CREDIT moi, CREDIT moi. If I were a stickler for calories consumed instead of controlling portions and choices, I'd have noted that the thin sauces on all the veggies were probably mostly oil. It is interesting that there was no salad offered - don't recall ever seeing salad at a Chinese restaurant.

Was worried about my evening since I had eaten so early, but we went out to buy our Christmas tree - from the same guy we've bought from for 20 years now so it's a jolly occasion as we catch up on each other's year. Afterward I had my California Navel Orange on schedule for evening snack and was happy. CREDIT moi again for facing a challenge by the Beck strategy of . . . you know what's coming . . . planning.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Cheers for improvement in your back, even if slight. Do move forward slowly on your wii - I suspect that little thing can be addictive.

maryann - Such a neat phrase, "high energy/ frontline of humanity kind of job." Kudos for recognizing that you need your alone time. If I don't get my requisite alone time, I just go bonkers. Good luck maintaining your serenity when people you love are hurting since that stuff does tend to spill over.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 12
How to Stay at Your New Weight

The first thing I want you to do when you reach your Lowest Maintainable Weight is give yourself lots of credit. It's wonderful you got to this point! Did you think when you first picked up this book you'd really get here? Well, you have! It's a major accomplishment - you should be very proud of yourself.

Okay, now you need to learn how to stay there:

Continue to weight yourself between once a day and once a week. All the maintainers I've worked with found that they needed to be vigilant about their weight. The only surefire method is to habitually use the scale. Those who stopped weighting themselves usually did fine for a period of time (months to years), but eventually they started to gain.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 279.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:50 AM   #158  
Green Tomatoes

Plugging along. The back hurts mostly only at night now, which doesn't help with sleep, but does help with getting through the day. I think it's a bit harder keeping my food under control, now that I feel better. Which is a bit the opposite of my previous behavior. Always a new challenge. I got the "eating does not fix pain" part but now I need a new one: "eating does not fix slow recovery" or something.

WI: +0.5kg, Exercise: +30 445/1500 minutes for December, Food: 70%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

maryann: good job noticing how much you were enjoying your first day of vacation and the puttering

BillBlueEyes: Way to go with planning the whole Christmas Party evening!
Old 12-18-2010, 11:41 AM   #159  

S/C/G: 168/ticker/155

Height: 5'7"

Well, I started to check in last night, but was interrupted. Oh well.
I had written at that time that my weight was down (finally!) a bit, from 163.8 to 163. But this morning I WI at 164.8. Sheesh. But, now that I am keeping a graph for my weight loss, I do see that these fluctuations happen and they do NOT mean an upward trend.
I am reading a book about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (a diagnosis that fits me) and interestingly, weight gain and extreme difficulty losing, are common symptoms of CFS. I don't plan on using this as an excuse but I do plan on reminding myself that this means i can give myself some grace.

Credits
-2 yoga classes yesterday
-OP except for a taste of bean soup a friend brought to me (along with a copy of the recipe)
-WI daily
-checking in here
On my way to yoga class today.

Thanks for being here, all of you. I so appreciate it!

Marci
Old 12-18-2010, 12:19 PM   #160  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

Woke up out of sorts yesterday and the whole day was off. Partly a reaction to a strong allergy trigger--partly????
Didn't go for a work out, ate off plan, didn't get much done on my Christmas list.
This was the exceptional day this week; I've been happy with the mix of quiet time (I agree, Maryann!) and accomplishment and healthy eating and exercise. So that's what I'm going to treat it as, a blip in the radar, and get right back on plan this morning with my delicious oatmeal made with soymilk and a fresh pear sliced in. Will I ski today or go to the rec center? Gotta negotiate that with DH.
BillBe: Good job on the plan, and also on sticking with it! Success!
Gardenerjoy: Hang in there! Everytime we learn something and stick to it )eating does not fix pain), we are challenged to learn something else--dang.
Madrikh: I'm impressed with your weighing daily and keeping a weight graph--I'm not that brave yet
Old 12-18-2010, 05:07 PM   #161  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi beckies.... checking in. Yesterday DH and I made his mom's recipe for her Christmas raisin nut bread. I baked and he did all the cleaning up. It's a great division of tasks. This bread is tasty , but, not my favorite goodie. (thank goodness)

I got my book marks made for everyone. Tomorrow is the Cousin's party. DH and all his cousins from his mom's family get together every xmas since he was a little boy. I am bringing a big tossed salad to go with the lasagna. I think I can get through this party.

I gathered up all the 'stuff' for my gifts to the young cousins (my son's age - 30ish) I got a recipe from Dr. Oz on making your own veggie/fruit wash. It's amazing how the gunk comes off using his wash. So I made up a xmas bag with a spray bottle, bottle of white vinegar, baking soda, fresh lemon and the recipe. I don't know if they will like it. I am tired of giving the Christmas chachka's every year. Here's the recipe:
1 cup water
1 cup white vinegar
1 Tblsp baking soda
juice of 1/2 lemon.

Mix these ingredients together Add the baking soda slowly or in a large container as it bubbles up alot. Pour the solution into the spray bottle and spray your produce. Let solutionn sit on your fruits and veggies for five minutes before rinsing off. Vinegar is anti-bacterial and lemon is a natural atringent. I can't afford to always get organic, so this helps get the stuff off.

Of course - I got presents for the little ones.

Hope you all are doing well.

I am slacking on writing things down...better get to it.

Gardenjoy - I hope your back is all better soon. Gotta run.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:47 AM   #162  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello Beck friends

I had a stellar day yesterday, then finished it off with some unplanned eating. Emotionally related, of course. I should have gone to bed as I was tired. I woke up with an achy back and think I'll try to take it easy today, I've been pushing way too hard. We arrived home from Taos on Thurs. eve and traveled Friday to our home near Denver. Yesterday was spent with mom doing chores.

BillBlueEyes, what a successful party! Your description of the sauce on the chinese food was very accurate. I used to work at a Chinese rest. and saw how much oil was dumped in the woks. I thought of you yesterday at Whole Foods. I did taste the Cara Cara oranges and they were fantastic! I had a chuckle-they have a grand piano set up by the deli now and had a 3 pc ensemble playing holiday songs. The mood was definitely spend lots of money because holidays are so much fun and all about eating. Samples galore but I only tried the orange.

Beverlyjoy, thanks for the recipe. I'm going to make some today.

I'll get back into the swing of things and I've been reading everyones posts.
Saturday credits

~bought a new scale
~didn't eat holiday goodies while baking
~OP except after dinner, but I stopped and went to bed.

Take care everyone!
Old 12-19-2010, 05:00 AM   #163  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - It's getting ready for Christmas time around here. I've let the clutter build on the dinning room table and it all has to be gone. I managed to make a few items disappear, but have miles to go before I sleep. Oh Well.

Eating was OP and did gym; CREDIT's moi. At a hardware store I had to decline freshly popped popcorn; CREDIT moi. But the weird thing was at Radio Shack where the clerk helping me excused himself, then reappeared sucking a tiny blue lollipop. Huh? "From the basket at the dry cleaners next door," he explained, "it's blueberry and fantastic! You gotta go grab one." So, I left with my new headphones to grab a fantastic blueberry lollipop. Walking thirty feet was just enough for me to recall that I had an eating plan and a blueberry lollipop wasn't on it, that eating sugar stuff kinda triggers me into eating other stuff, and, finally, that I'm now a grownup and don't usually do lollipops. So, I said Oh Well and walked home; CREDIT moi.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for "eating does not fix slow recovery" - it does seem that we can find a large list of situations for which we think eating is the solution.

Beverlyjoy - Neat to bring a "big tossed salad" so you're guaranteed to have something attractive from the spread. Your gift bag with the components for a veggie wash is pretty neat; thanks for Dr. Oz's recipe.

Nature Girl - Yay for a fresh pear with breakfast. Methinks that a planning a breakfast that attractive is a sure fire way to make breakfast happen. Just love it that your choices are skiing or the rec center - couch potatoing isn't on the list!

Marci (madrikh) - Ouch for having to deal with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, with Kudos for accepting your reality and planning to deal with it. Lots of good yoga going down - Yay for the joy of flexibility. Graphing my weight was a way for me, also, to see that it was just wiggling, not on the slippery slope.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 12
How to Stay at Your New Weight

Okay, now you need to learn how to stay there:
. . .
Recommit yourself if you gain 3 pounds: Three pounds seems to be the magic number according to maintainers I've counseled because if they went 3 pounds above their Lowest Maintainable Weight, they were likely to continue gaining. If you gain 3 pounds,you don't have to do every task in the program, but I do advise you to reread the program days in this book to see which skills you should reinstate. Sometimes, it's just a matter of putting a plan in writing, measuring your food, and monitoring what you're eating for a couple of weeks.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 279.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:57 AM   #164  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

I’ve had a couple of days where nothing goes according to plan, including food. I wind up cold, hungry, tired and not sure when I’ll be able to get something healthy to eat. So I eat whatever is close at hand, which is never a good option.

On Friday, we had a 9 mile trail, our longest anymore. We usually do it in January, but one of the ranch hands thought January was too cold. It was 7 below when they started, even after delaying an hour and starting at 9 AM. It did get into the positive numbers by the end, but not very high. Luckily, I was driving the hay truck and not out in it.

Yesterday we were getting our rams in with the big herd. Another cold day and had a truck that kept breaking down. That’s the truck that has been in the shop twice already and they continue to assure us that it’s fixed.

So two days of no exercise and lousy food has left me feeling gross. We’re heading out this morning to see my family in CA and it looks like terrible storms across Nevada and the Sierras that we need to cross. We’re taking the long way to avoid the worst, but not looking forward to a long drive. But I did get up early and workout. My muscles needed it desperately. And I’ve got fruit, chopped veggies and hummus packed for the trip. The only thing I need at any convenience store is water, so I feel good about that.

Waving to everyone and will try to check in when I can.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:09 AM   #165  
Green Tomatoes

We're hosting Christmas today for my brother, his new girlfriend and her 10-year old daughter. I'm serving vegan chili (w/ cheese available for those who will eat it) over potatoes, a salad bar, and fruit for dessert. Kind of nice to serve people who I know will appreciate healthy food and would actually not like the more traditional tempting holiday treats.

WI: NAkg, Exercise: +30 515/1500 minutes for December, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

madrikh: I'm glad the graphing is helping you see the insignificance of individual daily weigh-ins. That's what worked for me, too. Credit for this: "i can give myself some grace"

NatureGirl: yay for recognizing a blip in the radar and moving on to healthier behaviors!

Beverlyjoy: I love your veggie wash gift! I hope your recipients are as pleased as I would be to get it.

Lexxiss: What a great job sampling just the orange in the Christmas party atmosphere of Whole Foods!

BillBlueEyes: LOL at the LOLlipop story

Shepherdess: I'm impressed that after two bad days you managed both exercise and food packed for your trip. Hope you have a good trip and wishing you safe travels in the wintery weather.
Closed Thread