40-Somethings - 40-Something Chat Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

View Full Version : 40-Something Chat Thread

Slashnl
08-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Ok, here it is! The brand new chat thread for the 40+ group of ladies! We're hoping this makes it easier for the new ladies/gents that come to the 40-something thread, looking for some new friends.

Let's start posting, supporting, and having some fun!!!!

Mermom
08-06-2007, 08:22 PM
You, Your Friends, Your Friends of Friends

This is the title of an article that appeared in the Sunday New York Times. The article was focused on the impact of friends and friends of friends...broad networks of people who share commonalities.

The aritlce was prompted by the research reported last week that concluded obesity can spread from friend to friend. A detailed analysis of a large social network (12,067 people over 30 years) found that social networks may influence many types of behavior -- which can then affect an individual's health as well as that of the community.

Networks amplify whatever effect they are propagating. So. If the 3FC is propagating anti-obesity, healthful living, sharing success as well as struggles it seems to me that the network on this site, if qualified as social, works as well as it does because of everyone who is related here through common purpose.

We know support works but now we might better understand why. Any thoughts?

Clydegirl
08-06-2007, 09:05 PM
Hi Diane.

Hope to see all the regulars on here. I think we will see more people once school starts to go back and we get back into our old routines.

iluvkomer
08-06-2007, 09:07 PM
Sometimes just knowing there is someone out there who knows how you feel and is struggling with the same problems you don't feel so alone. :)

Slashnl
08-06-2007, 09:45 PM
You would not believe how many names (maybe 40-45?) I came up with just going back through the other threads. Hopefully, we'll get some good responses. I don't want to lose the ones who have been on the other threads, but I do know that new people had trouble with finding the chat threads. It was interesting going back through it, remembering people who are not posting much anymore. I hope they come back now. I just love talking to people who understand. We may not be in the same place with our weight loss, but we have a lot in common! It's amazing the advice we get here!

brismiley
08-06-2007, 10:02 PM
Hello. Glad for the new chat thread, I think it will help the new comers out, and hopefully we all can get together, ya ya ya :-).

srmb60
08-06-2007, 11:38 PM
Hello! Thanks for the invite Diane.

Slashnl
08-07-2007, 08:37 AM
Good morning all!
Glad to see you found the thread. I hope this helps newcomers, too. I know that many people are still busy with summer and kids, so I also think that there will be more joining in as we get into fall.

My kids are so anxious to get back to school. My son is starting middle school and he tells me at least 3 times a day that he can't wait! I'm ready for them to go back, too. We need a little more routine back in our lives!

Pita09
08-07-2007, 08:40 AM
Hello :wave: Diane invited me to this thread and I'm so pleased to come in and get to know you all.

Am I the only one that is sick of summer??? We actually have a heat advisory issued for today. :sunny: I just dread stepping out the front door.

Lizzy Gourmet
08-07-2007, 09:10 AM
Hey all I'm new here a friend of "Slash" I'll be back to chat futher...Liz:carrot:

Janny O
08-07-2007, 09:25 AM
Ok-I'm back! Been hangin out in the 100lb club. I too, am anxiously waiting for the fall. It's too bad that I don't get to see leaves change-I really miss that.
Glad that everyone is doing ok!

Let's get some juicy threads going......

-Jan

aerie
08-07-2007, 10:49 AM
Hello...thanks for the invite :)

Going to go see if I can find the article that Mermon mentioned, aren't humans interesting?

Moving house on Friday, it all happened very quickly and I am hoping the stress of it all on top of normal life does not send me into a chocolate/wine/ all that yummy stuff which I don't eat anymore craze!!

hopingtobehopeful
08-07-2007, 10:50 AM
Hey all! Slash (Diane) good for you for starting this. I tried to jump in on the 47 an no idea.... thread but it was so long that I felt I would never catch up!

Anyway, I am 47 and I have no idea......! But I'm working on it. I thought the study on obesity as contagious was interesting but it always seemed pretty obvious to me. Even from my first long term friendship, I've been getting fat and thin with my closest friends. And this web-site has been so helpful for me. The 5-day challenge that Shycammie started really got me through my first few weekends in this WOL.

I look forward to getting to know everyone and share in this journey. Meanwhile, I've been looking at the "180's" for about 2 weeks now and can't wait to see it on my bathroom scale one of these hot mornings. If you hear screaming from the direction of Connecticut, you'll know why!

Have a great one!

:hug: Hope

hopingtobehopeful
08-07-2007, 12:18 PM
Me again! YUMMMMMMM.

I just cut up one summer squash (I have a gazillion of them in my garden), 1/2 tomato, a few fresh basil leaves. Put it all in a zip-lock bag with a little salt and a lot of pepper. Poked some holes in the bag and microwaved it for 3 minutes. YUMMMMMM!

tiggnduff
08-07-2007, 03:03 PM
Hi everyone. I'm new here but thought I would post and say a quick Hi.

It's way way too hot here AGIAN!!! and our air is on the fritz with a repair bill that is out of our league right now so we are living without :sp:

I can't wait until school starts despite our crazy schedule with baseball they are bored and driving me crazy!!! :stars:

Janny O
08-07-2007, 03:17 PM
Hiya Karen,
Welcome to our little slice of heaven! Wow-no air conditioning? You are brave. I couldn't do it (we'd really die).
Good luck to you-keep those fans on high!
-Jan

feelingroovy
08-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Hi. I've never posted in this forum before. I've been around, on and off, but never gave an official introduction here at 3FC. I'm a 44 year young SAHM with two children, ages 5 and 3. I got married and had children late in life but have no regrets. I got everything out of my system before settling down (heh). :crazy:

My weight has been up and down since I had my children. My highest was with my first. I gained 60 pounds and hit 209. I gained 40 with my second. I've worked very hard (both times) to bring it back down and succeeded both times. It wasn't easy but my strong will to lose and consistency was key! I gained 15 back last winter and started working out again in June. It has taken me 6 weeks to lose 5 pounds and 4 inches. The process is slow but I'm determined to get my old body back and keep it that way.

We're going to the beach the last two weeks of August. I hope to be feeling pretty good about myself by the time we get there. I'm already feeling better knowing that I'm getting more in shape and doing something good for myself....being healthy! It's nice to meet you all.

Slashnl
08-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Oh boy! Good to see everyone posting.

Hope: love the idea that you gave on microwaving the zucchini and other yummies. That's so great!

Welcome to all those new to the thread! Looking forward to some great conversations!

I'm trying to get out of my summer time funk of not losing weight. I get kind of lazy when it gets hot. Also, with the kids off from school, it just seems chaotic. I only have 2, but it still seems chaotic. Of course, that could be because they think it is my only goal in life to make sure they are enjoying their summer and doing what they want to do. Silly kids. Anyway, I'm working my way back to the great routine I had before summer. I'm back on track with food, but exercise is just not making it on the schedule as much as it should. That's my goal, to get back to pre-summer effort!

Clydegirl
08-07-2007, 04:32 PM
I never thought you could microwave those ziplock bags. Sounds good Hope.

I just said to my hubbie I would die without air conditioning. We are having temps in the 100's all week and it is just awful. So I really feel for you with no A.C.

hopingtobehopeful
08-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Gotta poke a couple of holes in them to vent steam.

I'm a convenience shopper and have been all over the brocolli you microwave in the bag. But, they're expensive. So one day, I cut up some brocolli, ran it under the sink and shook it off, put it in the zip-lock, zip-zip, lay it on it's side, poke a couple holes, zap for 3.5 minutes and BON APETIT!

Slashnl
08-07-2007, 07:58 PM
That really is a good idea, Hope. I'll bet you could do a lot of veggies that way, just to make it quick and easy. Oh... and cheaper!

srmb60
08-08-2007, 12:13 AM
You'd think you'd be saving some of the vitamins and minerals that usually cook away into the water or steam too. Good idea!

It's awfully nice to see all these folks here, yes?

While I'm still within my weight range (that's a month at maintenance) I've been eating pretty poorly. Complacency? I'm not sure.

Pita09
08-08-2007, 08:18 AM
Good morning :wave:

Good idea about making your own microwave veggies! I will have to give that a try.

I'm so frustrated this week. I was slightly off plan this last weekend. I ate stuff I shouldn't (but didn't go over my calories), I didn't exercise, and I hardly drank water. I went right back on plan Monday and have done great. My calories are under 1500, I have exercised hard, and I've been drinking over a gallon of water. Still my weight is up 4 pounds!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

I'm also ovulating this week. I know I gain weigh during TOM, but now I'm wondering if I gain during ovulation as well. I asked another woman here and she said she also gains and is very hungry during ovulation. Does that happen to any of you as well?

I have weigh-in at TOPS on Thursday and I REALLY wanted to have a loss....NOT a gain!!:(

jaxjob
08-08-2007, 08:24 AM
Hi all,

I'm 40 too and have seen some of you on the Canadian chicks thread but thought I'd leap in here too.

Pita - I have slow weeks related to ovulation too, as well as AF. In fact my greatest loss each month seems to be the week when ovulation is over but I'm not into PMS-time yet. Also you said it was hot there? That seems to make me weigh more. Good luck with the weigh-in.

I'm still having a lousy eating week but puppy slept last night (only up twice) so things are better again today. Looks like another hot one though - they promised us rain and cooler this week but it's not having much effect.

Jax :cool:

Pita09
08-08-2007, 08:42 AM
I'm still having a lousy eating week but puppy slept last night (only up twice) so things are better again today. Looks like another hot one though - they promised us rain and cooler this week but it's not having much effect.

Thanks Jax. Last week at TOPS some of the women were complaining about that the heat makes them hold on to weight and not lose. I wonder if that can be true. It has been so hot and I've been out in at some point everyday.

Why can't this be as easy as getting fat was?????? :rolleyes:

hopingtobehopeful
08-08-2007, 09:24 AM
Pita, I feel your pain! It's taken almost 2 months for me to lose 12 pounds, but it seems like 2 days off plan, I'm up 5. It will come off after a couple days so hang in there. I'll bet your weigh in will at the least be a no-gainer!

Also, as I move up into my 40's, my cycle has changed so much, that I hold onto water weight at the weirdest times. And heat definitely affects me.

SusanB, I never had a chance to tell you how much I loved your latest "new you" picture! You look so joyous and free. A real inspiration!

As for me, I am not able to do any exercise for one more week because of my surgery. And I miss it! What a strange thing for me to say! So, I'm staying extra close to my plan so that I won't gain anything!

Have a great day everyone! :hug: Hope

Slashnl
08-08-2007, 10:54 AM
So, Jax, what kind of puppy do you have? How fun! Well... having the puppy is fun, not getting up overnight!

Pita, I really think that the hot weather makes you hold onto water more than normal. I have no proof of that, but I have felt that my rings are tighter on the really hot days, so I think that it is the case. I feel your pain, though. You barely get off plan and the weight just piles back on. I hate that!! It should be much easier to lose weight!! ha!

Susan, could it just be the lazy days of summer? I think that I have lost a lot of my drive in this heat!

feelingroovy
08-08-2007, 11:08 AM
ITA, I don't feel like working out when it's so hot outside! I thought it was just me.

srmb60
08-08-2007, 11:22 AM
Thanks Hope!

I do think the heat saps your energy.

annie175
08-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Hi all,

I would like to join in if it is ok with you all. I just turned 47, single mom of two, 18 & 21, but they live at home and go to work and school.

It is hotter than blazes here in Indy also. The humidity is 100%. Supposed to be 97-100 degrees today. YUCK!! You need scissors to walk outside thru it all. Just awful. Don't want to do anything at home after work cause of the heat.

Have a great day all.

Annie

alinnell
08-08-2007, 11:43 AM
Hi everyone! I don't often post here, but I thought I'd jump in......

I was watching the news last night and the big story was the heat wave. They mentioned that one city saw over 100 degress for 3 days.....one city was 122 and humid.....several other cities were over 100 and humid......now I realize that those areas aren't used to that kind of heat, but it made me think. We live with those temperatures for months here in the desert. And we're in the middle of "monsoon" season which means a lot of humidity but not necessarily rain (they get the rain in Arizona, we just get clouds and humidity). I don't think we've seen daytime temperatures less than 102 for at least 6 weeks. And we had 3 or 4 weeks with very high humidity. So the rest of the country gets top billing and we don't get mentioned. Pity me. LOL. I do feel bad for those areas, though. A lot of them aren't used to it and probably don't have AC. It's got to be terrible. We get so hot here in the summer that there is no such thing as a cold shower! All the water gets hot. And do you all know how hard it is to get up to go jogging at 4:30 AM when it is 90 degrees and so humid that it hurts to breathe? Well, I do! LOL

Anyway, Susan knows me from other areas of the forum.....I'm Allison, married, mother of two, DD is 16, DS is 12. I have 2 dogs, Buddy and Chico (Chico is my running buddy). I'm 44. I'm trying to get back to a better weight--I recently gained 5-8 pounds.....yikes, it's hard!

marree38
08-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Hi everyone, I am soooo tired of the heat too, Wisconsin needs fall so we can cool off and the Packers can start playing again!! I turned 40 in March 2007 and am back on the healthy kick....I have to lose the weight to enjoy my life. Any tips my way will always be appreciated. I tried the new pill Alli, did not work for me. Severe cramping and talk about the shi****s....my doctor told me to reduce my food intake and move my ***, and YES she said ***, I love her honest and motivating me.....Have a great day everyone!!!

hopingtobehopeful
08-08-2007, 01:21 PM
Oh I agree, when the lead story is the heat wave it makes me think it's a slow news week! I HATE this weather we're having in New England but there must be a war going or something. Oh that's right! ;)

Since my main form of exercise is walking (about 3 miles each day) this makes me weather dependent. I don't mind walking in rain, snow, whatever, just not the humidity. So, I shop on days like this! Needless to say, my bank account is shrinking at the same time as my hips!

Glad to hear you all aren't suffering too much. Lots of water for everyone!

GirlyGirlSebas
08-08-2007, 02:04 PM
So, I see a thread started by Slashnl...(gotta be a good one, right?)....and its in the 40-Somethings forum! Can someone please tell me why I've never visited over here before?

:wave: Hi, I'm Rhonda....a regular on the 100lb club forum. I'm also 43, wife for 13 years and mother to two daughters, ages 11 and 7. Hubby and I both work from home for "a major healthcare administrator" and we are doing Southbeach together.

I look forward to getting to know everyone here.

hopingtobehopeful
08-08-2007, 02:11 PM
Hey Rhonda!

Wow, working at home must be hard on the diet. Or is it easier because you control the flow of food. I've always wanted to work at home but I think I lack the self-discipline - I'b be in my pajamas unitl noon!

I did Southbeach for a while and learned a lot about nutrition and strategic eating. While I'm calorie counting now, I always make sure to pair a card iwth a protein so I don't get hungry as fast. I thought the book was great!

What made you choose SB?

GirlyGirlSebas
08-08-2007, 02:21 PM
Hey, Hoping.....guess who's still in her pajamas?:rofl:

Hubby and I chose SB because its a plan we both can follow for life. He does the cooking in our family, so I bought him a couple of SB cookbooks for Christmas. We love the food! Some of the recipes are phenomenal. I also count calories as my weight loss was stalling and I wanted to kick it up a bit. Of course, if I really wanted to kick it up, I'd get off my big butt and onto the treadmill everyday!

Well, too much posting and not enough work today. I better get stuff done.

Slashnl
08-08-2007, 04:37 PM
Aw shucks, Rhonda, thanks! Glad you can join us here. I spend a lot of time over at the 100 lb club, too, but it has been so much fun talking to the over 40 crowd here. Amazing how much we have in common.

brismiley
08-08-2007, 11:28 PM
Hello Everyone. It has been a busy weekend/week. My eating hasn't been the best, been eating out a lot, but the weight has stayed at 190.

It is great to see all the "new" people here.

srmb60
08-08-2007, 11:54 PM
Evening ladies! It is nice to see the new folks! I'll vouch for that Allison. We hang out at the Featherweights. Busy lady but is taking time to keep herself lovely and healthy.

I've had a much better day today. And it's about time!

hopingtobehopeful
08-09-2007, 09:21 AM
Hey 40-somethings!

It's my TOM and my scale has NOT moved up. This makes me think that either I'm drinking enough water to counter-balance water-weight OR (and this is my Hope) I may actually drop a few pounds come Saturday.

I am upset though that I can't exercise. I had minor surgery a week ago and I'm still dragging my butt. I think it may be from the anesthesia (sp?) floating around my system or it might be the fact that I have been staying off my feet. It's such a nice day out, but I can't walk at lunch :( .

Meanwhile, the surgery didn't stop the pain in my side and I have to have an abdominal CT scan tomorrow. And, since I'm my mother's caretaker, I really don't have the patience for this. The garden needs weeding, there's groceries to buy, meals to cook. Luckily my niece is coming Saturday so I may put her to work in the garden. That's mean, I know, but she's young and will get over it ;) .

Anyway, feeling a little sorry for myself today but glad it's not turning into a binge :) .

Have a good one :hug: Hope

Janny O
08-09-2007, 09:36 AM
Morning gals!
It's gonna be a scorcher here today!!! Gotta suck it up tho. We're pretty much out of our rainy season and back into the dry heat. THANK GOD! I cut the grass last Sat and it looked like I fell in the pool. I feel for all of you gals that have that nasty humidity.....ooooh.
Hey Hope!
Can I come over and weed your garden??? Just to see a garden would be fantastic!!! That's a dream of mine!
Have a great day ladies.....
-Jan

hopingtobehopeful
08-09-2007, 09:56 AM
Jan, I'll leave the key under the mat. Mostly it's my rose garden, although the side beds are looking a little unruly. The echinacea is under control because the bunnies just love it :mad: Why they can't eat weeds is beyond me but at least they won't have colds this winter!

Bri - You picked a good week to eat out - too hot for much cooking. Not gaining is a good thing!

SusanB - Glad you had a good day yesterday!

I wonder of Rhonda is out of her PJ's yet?

Slash - 'sup?

Anyone else I missed, please chalk it up to my floating mind!

Slashnl
08-09-2007, 10:22 AM
Hey all!
Jan, we're about in the same zone as you guys, but not quite as hot. It has finally dried out here. We're just not used to humidity. I think we're supposed to be a little hotter now, but that's ok. They said that we might get the monsoon back this weekend. Hoo boy.

Hope, I've given up on my weed issue. They win! I need to do some weeding, but there are just so many other things going on that the weeding is last on my list. Does your mother live with you or do you just check on her daily? I admire you for doing that... it can be difficult. So far I haven't had to face that yet.

I'm so single focused right now. All I want is to get my kids back to school. They are driving me crazy right now. They're only 2 years apart and they pick at each other a lot right now. I know that they are bored and ready to get back to school. My son has a football camp starting Friday afternoon and all day Saturday, so maybe that will break up his day. My daughter just wants to go shopping.... with MY money!!

Backing up a bit in the posts, I was interested to hear about the Alli, Mary. I wondered how it worked for people. I'm really not a pill taker, but you always wonder if there is some magic formula!! I like your doctor's advice about losing weight. We all know what it takes, but if I could find a shortcut, I'd be so happy!!

Get dressed, Rhonda... :)

alinnell
08-09-2007, 11:24 AM
Jan~isn't it nice to hit a cooler dry spell? We're expecting the humidity and temps to rise this weekend, though. I don't remember having an August without humidity.

GirlyGirlSebas
08-09-2007, 11:30 AM
Oh no! You guys are on to me.....I'm sitting here in my pajamas again.:D I guess I'm subconsciously wishing I was still snuggling with my pillow. I'm sooooo tired these days. Darn mental-pause! I'm out of hormones until my new doctor's appointment on Tuesday and the insomnia is horrible. Of course, I'm having a bit of problem turning off the TV, too.

Slash - Hang in there. My girls went back to school on Monday and Hubby and I are so happy!:carrot: My girls were getting bored and their activity of choice was to fight and argue. Can you imagine working in a house with fussing kids? Needless to say, it wasnt so easy.

hopingtobehopeful
08-09-2007, 11:40 AM
Get Dressed Rhonda! :)

ShyCammie
08-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Hi Ladies! :wave:
I'm back from 2 weeks of vacation :beach: (which was wonderful :yay: on SO many levels). According to the scale, I'm heavier now than when I left :faint:and due to TOM, large quantities of salt intake, and dehydration, I don't know if it's my "real" weight or not. I'll give it to next week before I change my ticker. If I sound light-hearted about it, it's because I'm determined to get this weight completely off. It WILL come off. I look forward to it.
I'm set for an assessment by a personal trainer at my gym tomorrow. :kickbutt: Might not sound like fun, but I really need some alternative stretching and weight lifting strategies to help things out...
Will talk more later. Just wanted to pop in and say Hi!
Take care in this heat.
Cammie

Janny O
08-09-2007, 03:14 PM
I've got a brilliant idea-we should find a place that is rainy and cozy, jump into our jammies and have a big ole BLAB session!! Have a fire going......
Colorado sounds pretty good...hint, hint Diane!!

**slaps face**I was having a moment there....I'm ok now.

-Jan

Slashnl
08-09-2007, 03:59 PM
Welcome back, Cammie! Glad you had fun and great to see such a good attitude!

Jan, that reminds me of a couple of summers ago when some friends of mine from high school all got together at a condo in Breckenridge. No kids, no husbands, just 5 of us women. We talked and talked and talked and talked. I can't tell you how much we laughed. It was such a great time. Sometimes you get so wrapped up in taking care of "things", you forget how it used to be when you just had time to talk and laugh. Good times!

alinnell
08-09-2007, 04:01 PM
Oh, I long for a nice cool day so I can curl up in front of the fireplace! To think I came from Utah to this furnace!!! But, yeah, it does get cold here in the winter. A lot of people don't believe me when I tell them that!

hopingtobehopeful
08-09-2007, 04:17 PM
CAMMIE!

Welcome home - glad you had fun! I wouldn't count this week's weight if I were you, as long as you're back on track. It'll come right off!

Girls, I'm not sure about cozy and fireplaces but if it's going to be this hot, can't we be sitting by a pool in some exotic place drinking (lo-cal) fruity drinks and ogling the pool boy? I'll bet we could get some good blabbing accomplished in Bermuda baby!

KrisR
08-10-2007, 06:32 AM
You guys would love it here right now.....winter on the south coast of Australia is the best. About 70 during the day and just cool enough at night for a small fire. Don't be too jealous though - come Christmas it will be miserable and I'll be whinging to you about it!

srmb60
08-10-2007, 08:21 AM
Morning! Hi Cammie!

Slashnl
08-10-2007, 08:27 AM
Kris, 70's sound so good! I heard on the news last night that we're heading back into a heat wave. "Nearing the century mark".... great.

ShyCammie
08-10-2007, 08:57 AM
Good Morning Everyone!
Thanks for all the Welcome Backs...
I had to laugh though. :lol: I did a modified version of Hoping's recommendation (not in Bermuda). While on vacation I found myself sitting in my daughter's wading pool and watching my mother's "hired helper guy" paint the porch. (Not a pool guy but definitely worth watching. Then again, I looked pretty good when I was in my twenties, too.) I just cracked up :rofl: at the thought of me, this "fluffy forty-something" sitting in a kids wading pool, having "girl talk" with my just-turned-three year old, watching this handsome youngster. (To be honest, I was watching more to make sure I could get up out of the wading pool and cover up with a towel before he saw my hinder.) :D
I don't know about the rest of you ladies, but, as miserable as some of this heat is...it's not 145 degree weather (which I've lived in without air-conditioning). So, yes, it's not the most fun, but remember March when we (or maybe it was just me wishing) were wishing for some warm weather? Well, here it is...now if only I'd stay outside and take advantage of this free sauna, maybe I could lose some weight.
As for autumn (perhaps my favorite time of year...and when I truly "nest"), it's just around the corner! It's going to be here before we know it! I'm looking forward to the fall too. Problem is, I still have a bunch of summer things that need to get done. (Garden stuff, sorting in the garage, playing in the park, more Saturday trips to the pool...) Ahhhh, to dream that I actually have enough time to do all that.
Take care and I hope to have time to update you on my Personal Trainer assessment before the weekend is out.
Cammie

Belly Buster
08-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Actually could use a pool boy about right now. We were on vaca for a couple days and came back to a green pool. I am on my way to vacuum now with the hopes that most of the "green" is on the bottom. How many calories to you think that I can burn. I am going to try and do the lunges that they recommend you do when you vacuum inside your house!! ;) I figure if I am in the water (it's an above ground pool) the resistance has to count for extra!!

Steelslady
08-11-2007, 02:30 AM
My summer is basically over come Monday morning, when I have to drive my oldest daughter to soccer tryouts at 7 am and AGAIN :mad: at 5 pm- two sessions in one day, possibly longer. If she makes one of the teams, then it's practices everyday until October- yippee, skippy! My son also starts soccer next week, in the morning as well, then my youngest daughter starts the following week. I feel like summer is so short because of sports. *sigh*

Is that really me
08-11-2007, 11:16 PM
Hi guys!! Hey thanks Diane for the PM about the new thread. I haven't been on since mid July -- nice to see an "all-inclusive" 40 thread -- good idea! This has been the busiest, run-around summer I can ever remember having. And yes, I am very ready for the kids to go back to school. We're going on vacation down the shore the 3rd wk. of August then they go back on Aug. 27. Maybe then I'll be able to have a coherent thought w/out interruption. :D

Mr. Scale is still the same. Like alot of folks, it seems like summer is a tough time to lose. The complete lack of schedule makes it tough to do anything, so I jump on the TM when I can, and am still using weights but so haphazardly that I might have to start all over again in a few weeks. As long as I can get in a few days here and there until then, I think I'll be ok.

We have one more college visit to do but we're currently trying to decide btwn one of two colleges. If both offer the quality major that you're looking for, eek! how do you decide which college to choose? <sigh> I'll be glad when that decision is made but AM NOT looking forward to the end of next summer. :(

Has anyone heard from Kimush? I looked back at previous posts but didn't see her anywhere. Hopefully everyone is just busy and postings w/pick up more in a few weeks.

Hope everyone is well. HI! to everyone I don't know yet and another HI! to those I do know. :D

Let's all spend the next couple of weeks (until the blissful routine of school ;)) mentally preparing ourselves to get back into this weight loss thing seriously and get some poundage off by Christmas!! Sound good? :D TTFN

Jo

P.S. A little tasty treat that's low cal -- Minute Maid Soft Frozen Lemon and Lemon/Raspberry pops. Very, very tasty w/only 70 calories per pop. Creamy like a sorbet but cool and refreshing like water ice. YUM! :)

Slashnl
08-12-2007, 10:53 AM
Welcome back Jo, you've been missed! It is unbelievable to me how busy the summer can be. The only experience I have with choosing a college is when I did and I knew that if the one college accepted me, that was the one. They did, and that's where I went. I don't know what you do if you have 2 that are similar! Good luck with that, and please share what happened so that maybe the rest of us can learn from your experience. I have a few years before that happens, but when the time comes, I know I'll be freaking out a little... ok, a lot.

Steelslady, I hear you! My son started football about 2 weeks ago and it really felt like that was it... summer over. They have practice at least 4 nights a week. And, starting last Friday from 5-8 and yesterday from 9-11:30 and 12:30 to 3:00, he had a football camp. With him being 11, I'm the driver! And my 13yo daughter hasn't started volleyball yet! That's coming, too! I'll tell you, though, I absolutely enjoy the sports so much. It's just the other stuff (cleaning, cooking, etc) that gets way too hectic. I wish I knew the answer! I was looking at my weed garden and all I hope now is that no one wants to come for a visit. It's embarrassing! But, I also know that in no time, this will end. I'll miss it then! So, the house can stay not-so-clean and the yard not-so-nice for now.

Don't get me wrong, though. I get so tired sometimes. My husband has his own business, which translates into: He's not a lot of help. It is really hard to ever have any time for me and any kind of weight loss. I'm holding steady right now, and that feels like a victory. Until it gets cooler, it is impossible to walk during my lunch hour during the week. I'm supposed to be getting up early in the morning to get it in, but ... well... I'm lazy. But, I want to really push these last few months of the year and get some good losses showing!

My daughter told me the other day that I need to clean out my storage room because you can't walk in there. Thanks, sweety, you're a lot of help. I told her that she could work on it and I got the deer in the headlights look.

Well, better get going. We have school clothes to buy today. I took my daughter yesterday and today I'll torture my son by taking him. My daughter could spend all day shopping, but it kills my son after about 5 minutes. He always says that he doesn't need to try anything on... "it will fit". Sure it will. Ha!

KrisR
08-12-2007, 06:19 PM
Hi everyone. I'm having a bad moment and just need to vent.

Today was weigh day and the flippin' scale did not move, AGAIN. I have been so diligent about tracking my food (1500-1600 calories per day) and I have exercised like a crazy woman this week and the scale did not budge. What am I doing wrong? I don't know what else I can do and I am really frustrated about it all. And, it's not like I've just started.....it's been weeks since I've had any significant weight loss and overall, I've only dropped about 10 pounds over 2 months.

Should I stop weighing all together? But, to do that, isn't that a bit denial-ish? Do I buy a decent scale? Do I only weigh once a month? Do I stop focusing on the numbers on the scale and just focus on how I feel?

I DO feel better having established a good eating plan and getting regular exercise. However, it's not easy. It takes work. And, it would be a good thing to see results from these good habits. Have I stuffed up my metabolism so badly that I will never be able to lose weight? Is it my medication? What a frustration that would be is my medication is preventing me from losing weight but I can't get off the medication because I can't lose the weight.

I'm going to take about 5 more minutes to have a little pity party and then I'm going to move on. I'm not going to give up. I will continue to track my food and I will continue to exercise but I just want to go on record saying that I am not happy. I feel like I have been doing everything possible to become fit and healthy and the universe is just laughing in my face.

whew.....I feel better now having typed that out.

Clydegirl
08-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Kris don't beat yourself up over the numbers.

How do your clothes feel? Did you measure yourself before you started? If you did you may be looking at a lot of inches lost.

Are you eating the same food every day? Do you have the same ammount of calories each day? A lot of people do the Wendy plan varying their calories each day.

Hang in there it will get better.

alinnell
08-12-2007, 08:20 PM
Kris~join me in my pity party. I've been 3 weeks of being perfectly on plan. No wine with dinner, 1200 calories per day, walk/running the c25k program. And what do I have to show? Nothing. Nada. Zilch. It's really exasperating. But I'm not going to throw in the towel. I just need to find that one thing.....whatever it may be....that's holding me up and tweak it so I lose again.

feelingroovy
08-12-2007, 09:25 PM
Those plateaus really suck, don't they? I always call myself the plateau queen and I generally do everything right as well. Chin up, one day the pounds will drop. Try to be patient. I know how hard it is!!!!

Ughhh, just have to get this out. I cheated today for the first time in 6 weeks! I had Chinese take out at my dh's uncle's house. Worst of all, it wasn't even very good. Full of grease! I could smack myself! I ordered veggies and tofu. Sounds healthy right? No MSG etc. I didn't think to ask if it was deep fried. Ehhhh! I felt guilty with every bite but I was so hungry. I had only eaten two bananas all day.

Makes me so angry because I specified that I didn't want it deep fried. So, knowing that I completely blew it, I dipped into the other's fattening dishes. Whatever. Got home and packed up dh's lunch and dipped into more of the containers. Grrrrrrr. Guess I'll workout extra hard tomorrow. I have a big "L" on my forehead right now.

KrisR
08-13-2007, 12:03 AM
Thanks gals for your support. I'm not giving up. Went to the gym and beat out a few of the frustrations and feel better now!

I'm bouncing around a bit on the calories....ranging from 1450 to 1650 on any given day. My sister is going to run my numbers by her nutritionist as she thinks for my weight I might be a bit low on the calories - so will see what she says.

I seems so early in the game to be hitting a plateau. I guess I need to stop comparing myself to others. Just because other people with 100+ pounds to lose seem to melt away the pounds quickly doesn't mean that is how it will happen with me.

And yes, my clothes do feel better. I only measured about 3 weeks ago so don't think there will be much difference, but I might find those numbers and do a check.

Thanks again everyone! It's so good to have the support.

Steelslady
08-13-2007, 12:38 AM
feelingroovy- don't fret, the scale will probably show a loss tommorrow. :rofl: I kid you not- I stay on plan, I sit pat. I eat out and go over my calorie limit, and I drop weight- by five or six pounds! How, I have no clue, but don't beat yourself up over the goodies you had today. Tommorrow's a new day. :hug:

Janny O
08-13-2007, 09:26 AM
Oh boy- I was REALLY bad yesterday-we had to stay in the house because it was 115 out and the pool was so hot that it felt like bath water. So, I whipped up a big ole batch of nachos. They were delicious. Oh well, that was yesterday. I'm not gonna leave my office too much today-it's already 99out at 6:20am.
Kris we are so jealous-enjoy that beautiful weather.

I hope everyone stays cool today........

-Jan

Belly Buster
08-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Must have been the weekend for slipping up! :devil: I too did the asian dinner thing that was probably less than healthy. Had lunch with some old college friends and couldn't resist the wine or dessert either. Did choose not to eat the entire plate so that was a bonus! Today is a new day and an new moment of focus.

As for those of you with the plateaus.... This may or may not be the case... but make sure you are getting in that all important H2O. With the weather and heat being what it is for some of you:sunny: (fortunately we are seeing beautiful weather here in the Great Lakes!) the humidity and heat may be causing some water retention. Wouldn't hurt to do a couple extra gulps!!:dancer:

brismiley
08-13-2007, 12:20 PM
WOW a lot to catch up on. I haven't had time to read. I will come back later and do personals.

I have been having a very hard time. One more week of total stress and then some changes will be happening and I hopefully will be able to get back to posting and to eating right and exercising.

alinnell
08-13-2007, 01:02 PM
I don't think I slipped up, but the scale says I did. Back up to 147. What gives?

I think I MAY have pinpointed my problem though. I make myself a plan each morning....I pack the food I need for the work day....and regardless of whether I'm hungry or not, I eat it. I need to rethink that. It doesn't HAVE to be consumed JUST because it is on the plan. If I'm not hungry, I shouldn't eat it. I CAN save it in case I get hungry later, though. That's what I'll be working on this week. That and keeping my dinner portions lower. I fix very healthy dinners, but I haven't been measuring or weighing the portions. I need to do that.

GirlyGirlSebas
08-13-2007, 01:33 PM
Hi Ladies. Just dropping in to say 'Hi.' Work has me snowed under these days. I'm doing well. Today was weigh-in and I've been able to lose for four straight weeks in a row! This is a big one for me as lack of committment has been my issue. This week, I'm hoping to get myself working out again. I want to get into my motivational jeans I bought two weeks ago....and, I need to lose major inches to do that.

Hope everyone is doing well. I'll catch up more later.

KrisR
08-13-2007, 05:34 PM
Rhonda - how fun in that to have 4 weeks in a row of losing? Contrats!

Allison - trying to only eat when hungry has been something I've been working on for quite a while now. I think I lost the hunger switch somewhere along the road because of overeating for so many years. In my slightly warped mind, I equate hunger to something bad and therefore struggle to let myself go there. I think you may be onto something though - just because you have it on your plan, if you're not hungry, why eat it?

Jan-I spent the monsoon season in Tucson last year - my first taste of the Southwest - so I can sympathize with the 115 degrees. ugh.

GirlyGirlSebas
08-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Hi Ladies....Kris, you mentioned that you exercised like crazy this week.....is this new for you? Could you be building some muscles? Also, what kind of exercise are you doing? Some type of cardio exercise works best for burning the fat....just make sure you can still talk, but get a little breathless, know what I mean? One other question, are you eating some type of protein with all meals and snacks? I have insulin resistance and I'm in full menopause, so my metabolism stinks. Eating protein has really helped my metabolism keep going. I'm no nutritionist, but a lot of my fellow 3FC friends on the 100lb club forum need to eat between 1200-1800 calories a day to lose. Many start off with 1800 and end up at 1200 by the end of their diet. Or, you can try varying your calorie intake each day from 1200-1800. I'm currently eating 1700 calories a day, but I anticipate having to lower that number eventually.

lifeisgood
08-13-2007, 09:37 PM
Hi. I just wanted to stop in and say hi. I am new to this thread. I got a message from slashnl inviting me to check you all out. I am really happy I did. I have been having a tough couple of days (three picnics in 2 days) but I tried and did pretty good. I have a long way to go so I will be around a while, I look forward to getting to know all of you.

KrisR
08-14-2007, 12:01 AM
Hi Rhonda,
I've been exercising pretty steadily for the last 2 months (3-5 times per week, lap swimming and aqua aerobics mainly). The last 2 weeks I've started including treadmill/bike in the gym 50-60 minute sessions alternating with swim/aqua days (5-6 days per week of 50-60 minute cardio workouts). This last week I starting doing pilates/ball work 3x/week/45 minute plus trying to add an extra 15 minutes of dance/movement in the afternoon most days of the week.

I've been tracking food with fitday for about 6 weeks now and think my protein consumption is ok. Fiber is a bit on the low side of normal so I'm going to work on getting that up a little. Calories are running an average of 1500-1600 per day. I'm kicking around the idea of upping the calories a bit - maybe to 1800 per day for 2-3 days per week and see how that goes.

Talking with a trainer today at the gym and telling her about my slow weight loss, she suggested I pitch the scale and just use measurements. Or, go to weighing less frequently (monthly instead of weekly, maybe). I tend to think this might be a good idea for me as the scale makes me a bit crazy - but then I worry about lack of accountability. Anyone with any experience with less frequent weigh-ins?

Is that really me
08-14-2007, 08:00 AM
Hi everyone. Yes, I'm actually posting two times this week. Yeah for me!

Kris, I just got done reading your threads. :hug: to help w/the stupid non-movement of the scale. I just read your exercise routine -- where do you find the time to do all that exercising? WOW!! :D A few suggetions to get that scale moving again. You're doing tons of cardio and while cardio is good, if you're doing the same level of resistance everytime, your body adjusts pretty quickly and you just don't get the same benefits from it (weight loss wise). I use the TM and discovered intervals a while ago. I'll warm up then walk at a very brisk pace for xx amount of time, then crank it up and run for xx amount of time, then back down again to a slower walk, etc. You can use specific interval times -- like 2 minutes slower w/a 30 second high interval or what ever; I tend to just listen to my body vs. being a clock-watcher. I used to be on the TM 5 days/wk for 50-60 minutes and I found that after the inital shock my body went through when I started exercising again, the weight loss was minimal. So I started doing intervals -- you can do these w/any type of cardio exercise -- and I also cut my workout time in half. I now do about 30 minutes of cardio 4 times a week (ok, I will start this routine again when the kids are back in school; summer exercise for me has really plummented :?:) but I really, really put everything I've got into those 30 minutes. I strive to do 2 miles in 28 minutes or less. Mentally it's easier because I know I will only be on the TM for 1/2 hr. It took me awhile to get into that "zone" but it seemed to help. I also try to walk the dog several times a week (1 1/2 miles) at a brisk but enjoyable pace.

The other thing I started last spring was lifting weights. Again, I had to ease into it slowly and I did alot of reading but once I acclimated my muscles (and mind :smug:) it seemed to help w/the scale. Initally no, but eventually yes. I also notice that the day after I lift the scale usually is up a lb because the muscle w/retain water but it leaves and the scale drops.

I was stuck on a plateau after Easter and got annoyed and my eating has been off since then but the scale remained steady even though my mouth just kept opening and inserting the wrong foods! The past few weeks have be crazey here and I haven't been lifting and I feel myself gaining. The scale was the same last week but I can tell from my clothes that the lack of exercise -- particularly the weights -- is starting to affect me.

Gosh, this is really long -- sorry! The other thing is I was doing the "eating 6 small meals a day, every 3 hrs. or so" w/out really paying attention the whether or not I was actually hungry. I kept reading that your metabolism slows down if you don't feed it frequently and it's better to fuel your body w/small and frequent meals in order to keep the metabolism up. Well, for me personally I find it better to eat bfast, lunch, dinner and when I'm hungry snacks, rather than just eating because it's 'on the menu for the day'. Hope that makes sense. When I did this the scale started moving. I was on a 'loss' roll about a month ago then my schedule changed and the exercise became less and grrr, feeling like a putz right now. Also I always try to eat protein w/whatever I'm eating (ok, again when I'm eating on plan which hasn't been recent :dizzy:). The protein really helps my blood sugar remain steady, which helps avoid that up and down swing.

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. Good luck and keep up the good work. The scale will move down -- for all of us if we just perservere.

Steelslady -- I've had this happen to me and thought I was nuts!! I'd been OP for weeks w/little to no results, get annoyed and be a piggy then whamo! - the scale drops a few. What is with that??? No clue either just know that it happens. Like your body goes 'oh, was all that dieting just a joke? You just gave me gobs of calories, there must not be a famine, ok I'll let those few pounds go'. LOL. The tricky part of it all is realizing that it's the 90% on plan eating that will get results, NOT the 10% off plan eating and not beating yourself up over the 'over eating'. Thanks for posting this; makes me feel less koo-koo. :)

I checked out the 'Wendie Plan' link you provided. I've read about this type of plan alot on weight lifting threads and such. Good idea; thanks for the link!

Jo

Janny O
08-14-2007, 09:14 AM
Rhonda is sooooo right! Protein in king!

Don't want to go off topic,but I am going to our preseason football game on Sat. and I am so excited that I won't have to be shoe-horned into the seat this year! I think I might even stand up when they score!!

Ok-now back to our reqularly scheduled programming......

hopingtobehopeful
08-14-2007, 11:25 AM
Hey smart girls! I am skulking in to say that I have been hit or miss since Friday and, oddly enough, haven't posted since thursday! So here I am - owning up! I am lucky I haven't gained anything. I seem to be back on track today. You all sound great! Hang in there, Hope

Slashnl
08-14-2007, 01:41 PM
Hey Janny, don't apologize for going off topic! We can handle a variety of subjects.
Quite frankly, as bad as I have been, I don't have a lot to add regarding being on plan or exercising. I can't get any more overwhelmed with work and kids than I am right now. (Oh wait, I said that once before and it got worse.... never mind!!!)

That would be fun going to a game! Have a great time. I watched my Broncos play last night and I am so encouraged by what they did!!

GirlyGirlSebas
08-14-2007, 01:51 PM
Hi Ladies! Hope everyone is doing well.

Jan, football is so much fun! Hubby and I had Bucs season tickets, then we moved. I don't really want season tickets to the Falcons (no offense to anyone!)so, I guess we will be sitting in the comfort of our living room this season. Hubby purchased the NFL ticket on Directv, so should still be fun.
Hope and Diane...life does seem to get in the way of our weight loss journey. Hang in there.

I just got back from seeing my new gyn. Ladies, for the first time ever...I have found an awesome doctor! She actually listened to me and had advice for my some of my problems. And, most importantly, she agrees with the hormone therapy that my previous doctor had me on.....Yay! I don't have to try adjusting to a new treatment plan again. Sometimes, life is very very good.:)

alinnell
08-14-2007, 02:20 PM
Topic. We have a topic?.....Oh, diets? Is that the topic? :rofl:

Belly Buster
08-14-2007, 07:24 PM
Ok, here is a new topic...

I am getting ready to start working for/with my husband, and I will be working from home. We have just started our own drivers education school (he teaches and I will be doing the office/paperwork) and our main office will be in my den. I haven't worked in about three years. I quit my social work job due to some issues at the clinic I worked for and for some finacial reasons. I was happy to be more available for my kids and have (once I got used to it) enjoyed the less stressful life of not having to haul myself to work everyday and beat the bus home every night. So, I am feeling a little excited and a little reluctent about going back to "work". My main issue is the eating thing. It has been hard enough not letting my weight get totally out of control being home full time..... but now I'll have the stress of a new business. This year my kids are all in school full time so I'll be home alone during the day. Soooo... I can see it now. A little anxiety, a little snack. A little frustration, a little snack. A little loneliness, a little snack. :eek:

I don't officially start for a couple of weeks, but I feel like I need to address this before I start so that I have a plan of action that I can fall back on. Currently I am following the WW plan and for my first week, I haven't done to badly (I weigh in tomorrow).

Any thoughts or idea?

alinnell
08-14-2007, 07:30 PM
Kim~make the job a real job. Don't allow yourself a break except for the normal 10-15 minute morning break and the same for the afternoon. Allow yourself only a regular lunch break. Don't allow yourself to get up and leave the den for any old reason--pretend that you'll get caught and fired!

I work with my DH, too, but not at home. Not that it matters much--this place is just like home in a lot of ways. And the kitchen is in the next room from my office. I don't go in there (except to refill my water) unless it is my regularly scheduled break time. And then I have planned out snacks in the fridge.

Also, don't buy anything and keep it on hand if it isn't on your plan.

Good luck!

KrisR
08-15-2007, 12:14 AM
Good advice. I work from home too and the kitchen can be a very dangerous place to visit!

It probably sounds corny but over the last couple weeks, I've really had good luck surfing the net. I've been visiting a lot of weight loss blogs and sites keeping myself inspired - that has kept me out of the kitchen. So, in any down time, or just when you need a bit of a motivational boost, I'd check out some sites, (3FC, weighwewere, pastaqueen.com, dietgirl.org) especially the archives.

I've become hooked on Rugby this year and can't wait for the world cup to start. Go Wallaby's!

KrisR
08-15-2007, 12:20 AM
Thanks Jo for your post. It helps to hear what others have tried.

Yeah, I have a bit of time on my hands lately. Started a new business from home and don't HAVE much business yet so I head to the gym most mornings. It's working out well from a fitness perspective but not very well from a checkbook perspective.

Today I took your advice and started interval training on the treadmill. Nearly killed me, but I did it. Between adjusting the speed and the incline, I do feel like I got a better workout. I think I injured my shoulder again yesterday doing too many laps so I may be land-locked for a week or two. I'll do the interval training for the next week or two and see how it goes. Thanks again!

Is that really me
08-15-2007, 08:57 AM
Kris -- your welcome. When I first started intervals I could only do like 15-30 seconds at a shot. Over time it gets easier. And the TM I was using was broken on only did 'flat' (no incline). I got a new one about 2 months ago and was like 'ooowww, inclines! I can feel the backs of m legs from my butt to my ankles!!' :eek: I think it's great you do several types of cardio. I do get a little fried (more mentally) always on the TM and dog walking. But right now I'm actually looking forward to when the kids go back to school and I have some time again! Good luck; keep us posted on your progress. :)

Kim -- wow, good for you and your husband for starting your own business! Drivers ed? My oldest is working on getting her permit. She just turned 17 --- we've been telling her since March she can get it but she never got around to it :dizzy:. We went down to the DMV two wks ago (me and the kids --17, 14 and 10) and stood in line outside in 95 degree temps for nearly an hour then another 20 minutes inside the very shabby building. Is that normal? NO WAY!!! Grrrrr is all I can say, especially when she came out after 5 minutes in the testing room nearly in tears cause she failed. The first question was 'if you're pulled over on the side of the road, how far from the car do you place signal markers'. I'd have failed 'cause I have no idea either! Who carries markers in their car? LOL Anyway, she got the idea that uh, she needs to really study for the permit test. Things come easily for her so I think she thought it w/be a breeze. :rolleyes: Best of luck with your new business. I'd treat the job just as if I were at an office and not at home. Treat the den strictly as your office and take breaks and lunch accordingly. If you get a lot of clients things may be so busy that you will have to schedule breaks/lunch. And maybe once you have a few more weeks of WW under your belt it will make it easier. Good luck!!!!

We're getting ready to go to the shore for a week. One last hurrah b/4 school starts. The kids are really excited. Of course, there's a hurricane out in the middle of the ocean heading towards Barbados (I think it said Barbados). By Sat. night or Sun. they should know if it will head west (yes!!) or north (Nooooo!). Ooo, and just to share I ended up getting TOM yesterday vs. this Fri or Sat so this will be the only time you'll ever hear me say yipee! on getting it! :D

Am trying to refocus on good eating habits. Did ok yesterday, till after dinner -- my personal witching hour. :ink: Must try harder, must try harder.

Have a great day all. Keep focused and know we can do this.

Jo

Janny O
08-15-2007, 09:28 AM
Hiya Kim-
Good luck with the new endeavor!! Hang in there baby.....if you need a healthy snack that cures all ills-jerky is it!! I think I am going to write Jack Link's a letter and let them know that they were a life saver....just a thought.
Hey Kris-
You're gonna have to let us know about your Wallaby's. I love rugby shirts.
Have a great day gals.

Belly Buster
08-15-2007, 10:26 AM
Thanks everyone! I am definately going to need all the support I can get. I am a little out of my league with this endever.... don't know much about drivers education except the few things my husband chats about....so I am anticipating a bit of a transition period! But I am on my way to a thinner me, and that will be the focus instead of all the other garbage!! :D

alinnell
08-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Yikes! Driving lessons! Been there, done that, but still have one to go in a few more years. My DD failed the written test once and the driving test once. It was very traumatic for her. But I think she's better off having failed the driving part--she didn't read a sign (which I KNEW about, but didn't tell her about--it's a trap the DMV uses. "no turn on red" and they always take the students to that intersection and tell them to turn right). Now I know she pays attention! So far she's been driving for 8 months with no problems. Doesn't your DMV give appointments? Ours did--it really cuts down on the waiting.

GirlyGirlSebas
08-15-2007, 10:49 AM
Hey, Kim. Hubby and I both work from home. I understand your wariness...any change in my daily life tends to throw my weight loss regimen off a bit. I believe the key to staying in-control is to plan, plan, plan. Have your lunch and snacks planned out and portioned if possible....so, all you have to do is put it in the microwave, etc. Like Kris, I also sign onto 3FC for a few minutes when I'm feeling a little stressed. I can always find motivation here to stick with this. Since you're already putting some thought into this situation, I'm sure you will do just fine!

lifeisgood
08-15-2007, 12:05 PM
Ok since we are on the subject of work HELP! I have been trying really hard and doing pretty good, but here is my problem. I am an event planner, and I am always around food, from the events to the tastings with clients I seem to be around food constantly! On top of that I have 2 teen boys 16 and 17 that play high school football so "pasta night" (cooking for 50 or so boys)starts in September. I do really well when I don't do carbs since I am diabetic, can any of you give me ideas. of course other than ok don't eat carbs like I get from my family. Its really really hard! I work with some of the best caterers and bakeries in CT. also any good motivation tips on finding time and actually going and using my gym membership?

I am 46, already through my change and very tired and unmotivated, my wonderful hubby honestly thinks I am great the way I am. But the truth is.. I am afraid I won't be around long like this.

alinnell
08-15-2007, 12:32 PM
lifeis good~On pasta night, serve your pasta sauce over sauteed zucchini instead of pasta.

When you're doing a tasting with a client, munch on carrots rather than the food that is set in front of the client. Besides, is is for the client--not for you.

I have no words of advice for getting you to the gym. I have the same problem myself, although I've recently begun to teach myself how to run.

Good luck!

Slashnl
08-15-2007, 03:30 PM
Allison, you have some great ideas. Thanks for answering questions and offering advice. I've learned a lot from you. Love the zucchini idea!

Susan?? Where are you?? I haven't seen you post for awhile, so thought I'd shout out to you!

Belly Buster
08-15-2007, 07:25 PM
I also love pasta sauce over speghetti squash. And this time of year it is especially good since it's in season and fresh! :chef:

Kimush
08-15-2007, 08:48 PM
:hug:Hey There Diane, :hug:

Thanks for the invite...I just back on line but now I am trying to figure out my new computer! UGG :dizzy: Mass confusion! I hope to be on in the next few days as I have only 2 more days and then my holidays start! YEAH!

And it looks like I got a lot to read in this thread too!

See you Soon and Thanks Again!

Clydegirl
08-15-2007, 11:16 PM
Kim good to see you posting again.

What a stressful day. Had to take our parakeet to the vet today as he was very poorly. Went downhill very quickly. He died while we were there. So we brought him home and buried him in the back garden. The house is so quiet without him. My youngest really misses him. She wants to plant a flower beside his grave. I will wait until Autumn and get a nice plant.

Is that really me
08-16-2007, 08:42 AM
Hey Kim, glad to see you again!

CG -- so sorry to hear about your parrot. It's so hard losing a pet, isn't it?

I'm off for another day of running around w/kids. Dropping Julie off at work, stopping at the high school to pick up a transcript release form, vets, home for a bit, back to get Julie from work then haircuts for all. I hope I'm done by 4pm today. :dizzy:

Am feeling cranky, bloated and uncomfortable in my clothes. I hate TOM!! :mad: My eyes are so puffy they hurt! Grrrrrrr . . . .

Ok, got that out of my system. I have exactly one hour to get going, so I'd better start now. Have a good day all. :)

Jo

Belly Buster
08-16-2007, 09:55 AM
My sympathy too for the parrot. We just lost a dog not to long ago and it was amazing how different the house felt without him around. For the longest time if I got up in the night I was walking carefully around my bed because he used to lay on the floor next to the bed and I was forever tripping over him. I probably looked like a darn fool!

Then we had the bunny and the guinea pigs adopted.... so we were pet-less for a month or two. It was sort of nice not having that responsibility! But.... now we have a new puppy and my life is turned on its ear. I haven't had to get up with a "baby" in a couple of years so that first night was extremely long! But she is sweet and the kids love her and they are so happy. They really missed having a pet to play with.

alinnell
08-16-2007, 11:06 AM
So sorry about your parakeet.

I need some prayers for my pets:

Last night, my Buddy dog had either a stroke or a seizure. He threw up and is having difficulty walking. He's 13-14 years old, and we've noticed some neurological deterioration in his hind legs in the past few months. But this is so sudden. He won't eat this morning (and he is a chow hound--loves his food).

Then, this morning after my run, I noticed that Chico has some weird head twitch. He stops when I talk to him, but it's quite noticeable.

I'm wondering if they ate something poisonous.

Slashnl
08-16-2007, 11:18 AM
Oh boy, Clydegirl, sorry about the parakeet. We have two and it would be very quiet without their constant chatter in the background. It's kind of funny, my husband has his own business and when he has business calls from the house, I always wonder what the clients think with the parakeets chattering in the background. Then, if he's outside, they can probably hear the roosters crowing, ducks quacking, geese honking, etc. VERY professional!! ha!

Allison, I don't know what could be wrong with your dog, but I think you might be right about a possible poisoning. I'll hope for the best for you! We have so many animals around here. I would miss them if they were gone.

Glad to see you again Kimush! I hate getting new computers because I just don't have the desire to learn new computer things. I used to love it, but now I just want it to work the way I think it should work!! I don't want to be reading manuals!

Hey, Jo, you and I have similar days planned. I took off work today and tomorrow just to get this all done. My son is at 6th grade orientation this morning. I'll pick him and his friend up at 11:00, then it is off to doctors appts for both kids, and dentist appts for both kids. Tonight is "back to school night", too, so that will be fun. Then tomorrow we have lots of organizing to do!! Getting ready for back to school next Monday!!!!! Oh yes!!!!! I'm so thankful!!!!!

GirlyGirlSebas
08-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Hey, Allison. I'm concerned for your dogs. Poisoning can make their back legs not function correctly. Many years ago, one of my dogs got into the garbage and got food poisoning. He vomited quite a bit and his back legs were weak. Also, about three months ago, I thought my 14 year old poodle had a stroke. We came home to find him unable to walk straight,he was falling over and he had gotten sick everywhere. Also, he couldnt hold his head straight...it was tilted. Turns out that strokes in dogs are very very uncommon. He had something called idiopathic vestibular disorder. Its some kind of inner ear disorder that happens a lot with geriatric dogs. Unfortunately, many dog owners euthanize their dog because they think they have had a stroke or have a brain tumor. Most dogs recover fully or recover with only a slight head tilt or a slight balance problem. I'm happy to say that my dog fully recovered.
I hope your dogs start feeling better soon. CG - sorry that your parakeet had to leave. I know how difficult this is on the little ones. Last month, my youngest lost one of her gerbils and my oldest lost one of her mice. Its rough when that happens.

Is that really me
08-16-2007, 12:52 PM
Since we're still on the topic of pets, just got back from the vet and Penny broke her back right tooth -- no clue when she did this -- and they have to extract it! Wow, sure didn't see this coming but now her non-chewing on that side, her complete and total avoidance when I would try and brush or even look at it, the discoloration ( I really thought it was just plaque although now I believe it is more from the tooth partially dying) and the reddish gum all make sense. I saw the gum several weeks ago; it was red and sore looking but she had been chewing away on her nylabone and I thought she just rubbed the gum raw. The tooth it split going up into the roots so there's no alternative but to pull it. Expensive fix. Hmmmm, state college for the kid is looking better and better all the time, since her tuition is literally going to the dogs! :D

Allison, I hope your pups are ok! I can't stand the thought of anything happening to our dog either. I knew a girl in high school whose cat ate some geranium leaves and it left the cat w/some neurological problems and he was off balance from it. Hope you figure out what the problem is.

Jo

Clydegirl
08-16-2007, 01:50 PM
Oh dear all the pets are suffering today.

:hug: Allison hope your dogs are OK. Will you be able to take them to the vet?

Jo state college and scholarships there's a ton out there. My big regret I didn't nag enough about scholarships and DD didn't try for that many. Hope your dog is OK with the extraction, must be painful.

The house is quiet without the wee guy. He was always chattering away.

My oldest goes back to uni on Saturday. She started packing her stuff yesterday. It's amazing how much stuff you can get in a dorm room. This year is a bit better as she will be in an apartment on campus with 5 other girls. They all have their own bedroom and share 2 bathrooms. There is a small living room / dining room and kitchen. So Saturday is move in day. I bet you she's on the top floor again and I will be lugging stuff up and down 6 flights of stairs. Oh well I'll get my workout.

The countdown begins one week to go and my other two will be back in school. Now I just need to get my hubbie a job :D

alinnell
08-16-2007, 03:16 PM
Thank you everyone for all of your well wishes.

DD and I took the boys to the vet after first checking with our neighbors to make sure no one had put any poison down. I was sure they hadn't because they both have dogs themselves. And of course I was right.

Chico checked out fine. The vet couldn't determine what it was that I saw, so I'll just keep an eye on him.

Buddy's symptoms could have been from an inner ear infection (negative) or a brain tumor (not probable per the vet) so she called it idiopathic vestibular disease (Rhonda--you were right!). She likened it to when you turn around and around and around really fast and then stop--you know how dizzy you are and sometimes you fall. That's what he is experiencing. It probably hit him really hard and fast last night and that's what made him throw up and since he was so dizzy he couldn't get up and walk. He was doing a little better on the way into the vet. While there they did a complete blood and urine workup (all negative) and gave him an IV with fluids. He also ate a little baby food. But on the way out, he was very dizzy again. She said that the way his eyes keep darting around is because of the dizziness and he can't focus on anything and that just makes the dizziness worse. He holds his head crooked from it and she said he may never hold it straight again. Poor old guy.

Slashnl
08-17-2007, 09:04 AM
Well, Allison, at least you know what is wrong. I'm sure it doesn't make it any easier, but hopefully, he will have a full recovery. It's too bad he has to go through it.

I made it through the day yesterday with the kids. We went to all the school orientations and all the docs/dentists. I took the kids to a new doctor and I really liked her. They were the guinea pigs, so now I know that I don't mind going to her. Very young, but she was so nice and very knowledgeable. I guess the older we get, the younger THEY will seem! ha!

Today is cleaning/organizing day. I really know how to enjoy my day off....

Hope everyone else has a great day.

Belly Buster
08-17-2007, 09:26 AM
Morning Ladies!

Yesterday was a good day.... exercised, ate op, played with the kiddies, had an excellent dinner of stuffed zuchinni (my own recipe!).... then the DH came home with pizza :stress:. He says to me "you have to try it now because it won't be any good tomorrow". There is some new pizza joint near his school and they make sort of non-traditional pizza. So, without having any points/caleries left for such a item.... I ate it anyway. It was tasty but I was so mad at him and me for eating it. Sigh....

Today I am going to be moving some woodchip in the yard that never got finished in the spring. Making a new flowerbed, and just general yard cleaning. We are going to have a cool weather weekend so I can get a good deal of stuff caught up (I tend to spend to much time in the pool with the kiddies instead of in the yard!). Gotta work off that darn pizza!! :p

Allison, I am glad that it isn't serious with the pups. So what do you do now.... just wait until it clears itself up? How stressful. I can imagine that you aren't letting them out of your sight!

Diane, good luck with the cleaning and organizing. Take a little time for yourself though...Maybe an hour under some shade, a nice cold beverage, and a trashy novel????? ;);)

Have a great day everyone.

Janny O
08-17-2007, 09:50 AM
Mornin' ladies!
I am so sorry to hear about all of your pet issues. Poor little guys....I haven't experienced any of that yet. My puppy is a naughty little holy terror... I am going to dress him up as a alligator at Halloween (he's an English Bulldog)-that kinda stuff cracks me up.
I hope everyone gets their kids off to school safely...
Have a great weekend everybody....!!!

alinnell
08-17-2007, 11:41 AM
Buddy is about the same this morning. We have to hand feed him because he can't focus to find the food in his bowl and besides he doesn't seem to be able to chew. He ate some chicken with carrots and beans for dinner last night and then we let him have some water. We let him have too much and a few minutes later, it all came back up. This morning, he only wanted the chicken, and I only gave him a few pieces. A while later, I fed him 1/4 c of oatmeal and he seemed to like that. He got a very small amount of water. He's able to make it outside by himself and we just have to hope he doesn't fall in the pool while he's out there. He and Chico are home alone until 1 PM.

Best of all, since I was so discombobulated yesterday (and forgot to eat breakfast) I lost a pound. Back to ticker weight. Now to make it stick.

TeresaR
08-18-2007, 05:42 PM
Hi all. I finally made it over and it's to find out that boy so I have some reading to do to catch up here. Seems like we're all a bunch of chattering magpies-lol :gossip:

Vanessa_40
08-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Good Afternoon Everyone,
Starting back here after a long absents..it says the last time i logged in here was 11-21-2006..wow..well since the last time i was here i've gained about 6 pounds so i'm ready to get back on board with all you wonderful motivating people. I'm off to have lunch but i'll get all caught up in a few.
Hope you are all having a wonderful weekend :)

Vanessa

djmommy
08-19-2007, 07:35 PM
Hi everyone, new here just got a post to come on over so here i am. No Idea how much I weigh...Waiting to get back on the scale after the kids get back to school. They start back on wed....I am sure I will be posting all new #s Ohwell. I also have alot of readibg to do....I really need all your support....I need to refocus and get back on track...Iam so depressed but a new day and a day forward is all I need to say now..... Anyway wanted to say hello and looking forward to getting to know you all......Barb

Slashnl
08-20-2007, 01:40 PM
Hi everyone and welcome to Barb and welcome back to Vanessa and TeresaR. Looking forward to getting to know you! Vanessa, it looks like you had a lot of success the last time you were here, so I'm sure you'll do fine now.

The kids are back in school now! Woo hoo! What is really funny is that I feel a whole new attitude going into this week. It is as if I was holding my breath, waiting for them to go back to school. I was back on schedule this morning with exercising and made a healthy lunch and breakfast. Why is it that I couldn't do that before? Summer is tough on me for some reason. Just get really lax, I guess. But, I feel totally motivated again and ready to move forward!!!! I'm up a little from where I was right at the beginning of summer (I was down 13 pounds total), but it isn't a deal breaker. I think that I'll be able to get it back off and then I want to have an awesome fall and end the year much lower than how I started the year. That would be great.

How are all the pets? Everybody doing ok???

alinnell
08-20-2007, 02:44 PM
And here I thought my kids started school early! Not so--they used to start the week before Labor Day and now it has moved to the day after Labor Day, so we still have 2 weeks of summer left. DD is at school today for a week of band camp with her high school band. She's a senior and the section leader for the percussion section. It's a tough job this year--7 returning members and 10 new members and only room for 10 total in the marching band! She is going to have everyone try out for the different positions and will only take the best 9 (she, by default, gets one of the 10!) DS is at a week of camp with the YMCA.

I was feeling rather yucky this morning (headache, dizzy, nauseous) but it only lasted an hour, thankfully. Now my sights are on lunch (leftovers from last night) and dinner (wondering if I'll have enough time to make the white chicken chili for dinner tonight).

Belly Buster
08-20-2007, 03:01 PM
Mmmmmm... Allison, can I fly out for dinner? White chili sounds delicious. It is cold and rainy here in Michigan. We have gotten more rain in the last 24 hours than we have gotten all summer. We just spent the last 4 hours or so with no power. Good excuse not to clean house!!

The weekend was eventful, but pretty much on program. It was my birthday on Saturday, so DH took me out for dinner Friday, then we had family over on Saturday, and last night spent some time with friends. I wasn't perfect, but I was thoughtful and careful, and this morning I was down a few pounds, so something must have worked! All the extra yard work I did probably helped!

Our kids don't start school till after the holiday either. So we have 2 more weeks to go, and lots of plans that will include unhealthy eating. But I am feeling good about where I am right now, so I don't want to start to backslide, especially since this is only going on my third week!!

Welcome (back) to all the new friends. It is frustrating to see thing not as we would like them, but we just have to remember the reasons that we are getting healthy and fit. As long as there are more steps forward than back, you are on the right track!! Everyone have a positive day and remember to talk good to yourself!!

alinnell
08-20-2007, 04:33 PM
Kim~let's just trade places, ok? I've had just about enough of this heat and humidity and would love some good ol' rain!

Janny O
08-21-2007, 09:08 AM
Happy Belated Birthday Kim!!!

Allison and I are coming up to Michigan for the weekend! The weather man said that it's gonna be 114-117 tomorrow. I think Satan lives here. Walked outside at 5:30a and it was already a scorcher. Hurry Fall......
Hope all is welll with everyone!

Belly Buster
08-21-2007, 09:38 AM
If you gals are coming, it better be today. Tomorrow we get back into the heat and humidity too!

Yesterday was a pretty ok day... I wasn't really hungry so I didn't eat a lot. I will probably make up for it today though! You know how that works! I'll have extra kids here today (keeping my neighbors kids while she goes to class), so there are always lots of extra snacks around to tempt me!

alinnell
08-21-2007, 12:05 PM
We finally got rid of some humidity this morning! I went for my run and it was dry and "cool"--I think it was only 85!

Slashnl
08-21-2007, 01:01 PM
It is hot here, but the humidity is down. They say it will be hot today and tomorrow, but relief for the rest of the week. I'm up for that! I guess it could be worse, we could live in Texas or Mexico. Boy, those storms are crazy!

I was so tickled for my kids back at school. They are having fun and are excited to be there. I know that it won't last forever, but I am glad that they enjoy school, overall.

I went for my walk this morning, and that was good. I have to build back up AGAIN but it feels good to get back on track. I was on plan with food yesterday and will be today too!!!!! Just can't figure out how I get off track so easily!

GirlyGirlSebas
08-21-2007, 02:14 PM
Hi Everyone. Just checking in for a few minutes. Its hotter than hot here too....and my electric bill shows it! I read on another thread that a lot of people who lost a lot of weight were surprised at how cold they get now. I told Hubby that we now have even more incentive to lose this weight.....maybe we can have a much lower electric bill next summer!:cool:

My two DD's started school on Aug 6th....and Mom-in-law finally found a job here....so the house has been nice and peaceful. Hubby and I are really getting a lot of work done now!

I must confess, I'm struggling a little bit with my "lifestyle" change. The rebellious teenager in me is saying that she doesnt want to do this anymore....its not fun! I'm having a little bit of trouble reigning her in, but I keep trying.

Slashnl
08-21-2007, 05:26 PM
Rhonda, stay strong! Your great strides at getting back on track over the past couple of months has been nagging on me and definitely helped with me getting back on track, too, this week. I know how you feel, though. It is not fun to get back on track. I always think that I wish I would have just stayed on plan so that it wasn't so hard to get back. Remember all of your stuggles you had with cutting out the sugar again! You've been doing so well, with weight loss almost every week. You're my hero!

KrisR
08-22-2007, 03:22 AM
Hang in there Rhonda. I can't wait until my counter shows that I have lost 26 pounds!!

I'm having very annoying cravings today - which I haven't experienced in awhile. Think it's because my schedule was off all day and we were away from home most of it. Have munched on a few carrots and that will hold me until dinner in 2 hours.

It would be easy to dive into the frig as I'm home alone but I commit to you guys that I'm not going to do that. I truly believe I am experiencing emotional hunger, not physical hunger and as someone said, food will not satisfy emotional hunger. So, other than water, the kitchen is closed until dinner time.

pagec
08-22-2007, 10:00 AM
Hi, I'm new. My name is Page. :)

alinnell
08-22-2007, 01:08 PM
Welcome Pagec! :wave:

I'm down another pound!!! It was hard yesterday! Lunch was very light and I got home from work early (which usually starts those frequent trips to the pantry!). I did have some pretzels (100 cals) and then planted my butt in front of the TV for an hour and made myself not move (easy to do--my back was aching). Then I fixed a good, not too heavy meal and all was good. I came in just under 1200 calories.

GirlyGirlSebas
08-23-2007, 10:08 AM
:welcome2: Page!

Clydegirl
08-23-2007, 01:45 PM
Welcome Page. Jump in and chat.

Schools went back today :carrot: and I got on the scale :(

So I'm up 4lbs. I was expecting more guess I was lucky. I never do well at the summer.

Anyway I need to get back with the program slow and steady. It's still very hot here so can't get out and walk at the minute. It should cool down soon and I can get back to my walking.

pagec
08-24-2007, 08:38 AM
Thanks everybody! I went for my first weigh-in at WW yesterday and I'm down 3.4 lbs, not 4 as my little tracker there indicates. I'm really excited. Although new to WW, I'm a dieting veteran so I know that's an unusually big loss and don't expect it to be like that every week but it was gratifying nonetheless. I'm really happy to have found a place for additional support.

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar03/cartoonfish01/lb/193/143/189.6/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

pagec
08-24-2007, 08:40 AM
School starts back for me next week. I'm pretty nervous and scared about it actually. It's super hot here too, I'm having trouble getting my walking in. It's tough that you had a gain but you'll get it off. Hang in there!

pagec
08-24-2007, 08:41 AM
Thank you!

pagec
08-24-2007, 08:41 AM
Yay for 1 lb. gone!! Good for you.

pagec
08-24-2007, 08:46 AM
I'm just starting to think about myself and my eating in terms of emotional hunger. I've always understood the concept and knew my eating was influenced by it but right now is the first time I've ever made a commitment to myself to dig into it and try to "fix" it. I get these feelings of "there's never enough" and "I'm never full" and I know those are emotional feelings, not physical hunger. I need to find a way to fill the hole inside. It's not easy but I'm working on it.

Slashnl
08-24-2007, 01:25 PM
Hey Page, sounds like you have a good plan. I know how it is with it being hot and not being able to walk like you'd like to. But, we just have to keep trying to fit it in! Time is the big thing for me right now. Son in football, daughter in volleyball, working... Life!

Clydegirl
08-24-2007, 09:02 PM
I hear you, Diane life always gets in the way.

I'm going to try and go to the gym on Monday. I will take hubs with me as he still has not got a job since he retired a month ago. If he's not careful he will be putting on a few pounds.

Some wicked storms here tonight but it brought the temp down and we got some much needed rain.

Slashnl
08-26-2007, 07:01 PM
Gosh, busy weekend. I'm just now getting on the computer. I don't know if I'm going to like weigh in tomorrow. I've been running, but not for exercise!! I think I might have put in more steps pacing on the sidelines of my son's first game than he did, though.

Hope everyone else had a good weekend!

Is that really me
08-27-2007, 08:35 AM
Listen, do you hear that sound? It's silence 'cause the kids went back to school today! Wow, this summer absolutely flew by for me. This is the first time I can remember in a very, very looong time that I'm not ready for school to start. Weird. We went down the shore last week (Cape May, NJ). Weather was well, crappy. Cloudy, overcast w/rain all day Tuesday. But we did get to the bay/beach several times. Told the kids to just pretend they weren't cold! :) The sun peaked out once or twice and by this past Friday - the day we left - the hazy, hot and humid weather returned. Geez, go figure. At least we didn't get burned to a crisp! We did have a good vaca though. We got to bring the dog so all was well. I do not recommend going away the week b/4 school starts. My brain is still on vaca mode.

Today is a day off for me. Am going to read my book and just enjoy doing nothing. Haven't gotten on the scale today (and probably won't) but I'm sure the it's up a few; the clothes are just a bit snugger. Need to get my mind back into 'routine' mode. Summer just blows everything out of kilter. I did pretty ok until about a month ago, then it all went downhill.

It's unbelievably quiet here. Am taking Penny dog for her tooth extraction on Wednesday. Alinnell, how are your pups? Congrats on the lb. loss!!

Hope everyone had a good weekend. The weather here is nice today -- actually turned the A/C off and opened all the windows. Am going to go on the TM in a bit but am not expecting my usual workout. Am going to have to build up to it -- again. Darn!! :rolleyes: Have a good one all.

Jo

alinnell
08-27-2007, 11:51 AM
Good Monday morning!

My kids don't go back to school until next Tuesday, but since I work, it really won't feel much different to me.

The dogs are doing great. Chico and I went to Temecula to meet up with some acquaintances from a Labrador board forum. The dogs played, the girls talked, ate and drank. It was fun. I made Buddy stay at home due to his advance age (all the dogs that were there were 4 years old and younger). Buddy at 13+ wouldn't have enjoyed himself much. The good news with Buddy is that he is coming out of his funk. He's been eating again!!!! In fact, this morning, he ate a whole serving of dog food. It's been over a week and a half since he ate a decent meal. He's starting to act like his old self (except for the fact that he's still freaked out about eating from a bowl--I have been hand feeding him).

Other than that, it was a restful weekend. Didn't do much other than run errands. My sister in Texas fell and broke her ankle so I was on the phone with her for a while. That reminds me, I need to call my Mom. Have a great day!!

Is that really me
08-29-2007, 02:22 PM
Well, I ventured onto the scale this a.m. -- up 3 lbs, which is less than I expected. I feel liked I've gained 7 at least. But at least I know where I stand. Probably not too bad considering the complete derailment of my exercise routine over the summer. Am back on track for the past three days, TM and weights. Going easy on the weights so I don't incapacitate myself again! :) Why is it that I've been exercising the past three days but feel fatter and more 'puffy' than I have all summer? Strange.

Took to the dog to the vet this a.m. for her tooth extraction. They called mid-morning; seems her upper left molar is also chipped and cracked very, very close to the pulp. They recommended to remove that one as well. I feel very, very bad for my dog. I know she broke these teeth from chewing on the nylabones, which I was always giving her. I thought they were a good thing, helping to remove plaque from her teeth. I have to wait a few more hours b/4 I can go get her. They are sending her home w/pain meds but . . . . still. :(

Jo

P.S. I changed my quote in my siggy. Enter the Haggis is an Irish band out of Canada. Check their music out (itunes, amazon, enterthehaggis.com, etc.) Good, good stuff.

alinnell
08-29-2007, 03:50 PM
Took to the dog to the vet this a.m. for her tooth extraction. They called mid-morning; seems her upper left molar is also chipped and cracked very, very close to the pulp. They recommended to remove that one as well. I feel very, very bad for my dog. I know she broke these teeth from chewing on the nylabones, which I was always giving her. I thought they were a good thing, helping to remove plaque from her teeth. I have to wait a few more hours b/4 I can go get her. They are sending her home w/pain meds but . . . . still. :(

How old is your dog--and what type? Mine chew on nylabones all the time. Yikes!

Clydegirl
08-29-2007, 09:01 PM
Hi girls hope you are all having a good week.

Saturday is the first of September and before you know it we will be talking about Christmas yikes. It's only 17 weeks until the big day.

If we all lost a pound a week think how much better we would all feel.

I'm going to weigh in tomorrow and see how I've done this week. Then try and take it one pound at a time.

Jo hope your dog is doing all right after the extraction, :hug: a little bit of tlc and I'm sure she will be feeling a whole lot better.

I haven't managed to get to the gym this week.

I must try harder with the exercise.

Is that really me
08-29-2007, 10:19 PM
Allison, she's four years old and a border collie mix (possibly some jack russell int there; that's how she's colored). The doc seemed doubtful about the nylabones as the cause but I've never, ever seen her chew on anything else. She really goes at those bones, even to the point that she'll bleed a bit (we'd take them away then). She also didn't seem to be in any pain whatsoever. Chowed down and acted just like herself the whole time her teeth were cracked. Maybe there's some fine print on the nylabone package that says something about really hard chewers and tooth damage -- that my aging eyes failed to decipher? -- but I just don't know. I just can't think what else would have caused this. She was in a year ago for teeth cleaning and all was fine, so it happened just w/in the past year. They xrayed three teeth to check them and that's when they found the second bad tooth. There's some enamel cracking on the bottom right tooth but it's nothing that will cause any problems for her. When she'd chew the bones it was always those top and bottom teeth that did the primary chewing. Keep an eye on your pups. Id hate for anyone else's dogs to have to go through this.

She's pretty zoned out from the pain meds. They gave her a shot at 5pm right b/4 we took her home. Hopefully she'll feel more like herself in a day or so. She's such a nice dog. When we left the vet's office, she went over to him for a pat. When he was done he said to her 'you have to go out that way' and pointed to the door. Penny turned around and headed for the door. Too sweet!

Clydegirl, thanks for the hug!! Much needed and appreciated. :) Yikes only 17 weeks till Christmas? Hey, I like the idea of losing a lb a wk b/twn now and then. 17 lbs. is a lot!! I'm back into the exercising -- my legs are feeling those squats and lunges today. Anyone up for a mini challenge? Let's all get on the wagon and try for a lb. loss by next Friday -- what is that, September 8 or 9th? We can do it (ack, I'm hearing that Tony Little guy in my head -- you know he sells those Gazelle exercise things.) How 'bout it?

Jo

Clydegirl
08-29-2007, 11:09 PM
Jo count me in. Mini challenge.

I'm getting on the scales tomorrow morning.

Slashnl
08-30-2007, 10:43 AM
I'll jump in on the challenge, too. You would think that 1 pound a week would be doable. Hopefully!!!

I am a little down this morning. I spent some time going through some old letters and cards last night. (It's a long story, but my MIL had a stroke and we were going through her papers to get insurance info, etc. It made me think that if something happened to me, there are some letters from my husband from way back when we were dating - 20+ years ago - that I'd rather not have anyone else see.) Anyway, it took me so far back in time, back to the skinnier, younger days. We were so much in love, couldn't get enough of each other, etc. While we still love each other, the passion has obviously changed and, of course, back then it was just the two of us without any stress from kids or responsibilities. Yes, I love my kids and this is a good time of life, but I do miss the carefree days of my youth.

Anyway, life goes on and changes are good.

Sorry to hear about your dog's tooth, Jo. Poor baby. It is so hard on the animals because they just don't understand what you're doing to them! I'm sure this will help her feel better.

alinnell
08-30-2007, 11:17 AM
Saturday is the first of September and before you know it we will be talking about Christmas yikes. It's only 17 weeks until the big day.

Okay, that's just downright mean to remind us of this!!!! How on earth will I get my shopping done! (((stress))) LOL!

Jo~hope the dog is better today. I hear you with the fine print!!! I finally broke down and bought myself a pair of drug store readers! The phone book and I are no longer friends!

Everyone have a great day!

Clydegirl
08-30-2007, 02:53 PM
Well I got on the scale this morning and was down 3lb. So that was a nice surprise.

Diane I have a bunch of letters as well from back in the day. I would not anyone to read them after I'm gone. There's some things though that you don't want to part with.

My dad died 2 years ago and we had to clear his house. He had kept every letter and card I had sent him over the years. It brought back a lot of memories sitting reading them.

GirlyGirlSebas
08-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Anyway, it took me so far back in time, back to the skinnier, younger days. We were so much in love, couldn't get enough of each other, etc. While we still love each other, the passion has obviously changed and, of course, back then it was just the two of us without any stress from kids or responsibilities. Yes, I love my kids and this is a good time of life, but I do miss the carefree days of my youth.

Diane, I'm sorry to hear about your Mom-in-law.

The old days have been on my mind a lot lately, too. I had a bone density done last week and turns out my bones are not in good shape for a 43 year old women. Darn hysterectomy! I've been thinking a lot about how its changed my life in ways I never expected...more wrinkles, mood swings, not much interest in hubby(If you know what I mean) I miss the passion, too. I'm hoping that getting in shape and losing the weight will help.

Slashnl
08-31-2007, 11:10 AM
Clydegirl, I know what you mean. There are a few that I saved that I just can't part with. Too bad those things couldn't just disintegrate if something happened to me!! ha! It really struck me, though, how letter writing is no longer happening, and it is kind of sad. My husband (boyfriend at the time) wrote to each other so much because we just couldn't afford to call long distance. No email, no cell phones, no text messaging. I can say this to all of you because you remember that time, too! I think it is great that you can call so much easier now, but the letters are missed.

Rhonda, I know what you mean. Aging is not for sissies! My aches and pains drive me crazy. But, hopefully, with more weight loss, that will not be quite as bad. I don't know what I'll do when I get to add menopause to all of this! I haven't reached that point yet, so that's something to look forward to! At least we all know that we're not alone.

Allison, lol on the drug store readers. I can LOL while I sit here with my bifocals.

Clydegirl
09-03-2007, 12:29 PM
Hi everyone.

It's quiet in here.

Have a good Labour Day and remember it's just one day ;)

47yo
09-03-2007, 02:00 PM
Hi - I'd like to get in on this challange thing! I was doing pretty well for a few months, but now - I cannot seem to stick to a diet, although I am continuing to exercise faithfully. So - I need some motivation as far as eating (or not so much) is concerned.

Jo - I hope your doggie is feeling better. Please don't blame it on anything you've done. I'd bet anything it's just in her genetic makeup. And you took her to the vet to get her teeth fixed, so her life is better because of you.

Is that really me
09-04-2007, 09:49 AM
Hey everyone, how's it going? Hope you all had a good LD weekend. CG, congrats on the 3 lb. loss -- WTG!!!

47yo -- I'm in the same boat as you! Great w/exercise but I keep blowin' it w/the food part. I just keep plugging away though.

Pennydog is doing much, much better. Back to her old self. She just kept quiet for a few days; the morphine shot they gave her just b/4 she left the vet's the day of the surgery really made her dopey for a bit. It took few days to get all the stuff out of her system. She's eating regular food (hard too) and seems fine. Yeah!!

Got my exercise done for the day and am off to do some domestic chores. Yawn! Maybe I'll finish my book first! :)

Weigh in this Friday for the mini 1 lb. challenge. Good luck to us all. Have a good one!!

Jo

Slashnl
09-04-2007, 11:06 AM
Hope everyone had a good labor day. It was nice to have the extra day off! We had a good time. My son had a football game on Saturday and it was incredibly hot out there. I thought I was going to get sick by the end of it. I guess I shouldn't complain because the boys were playing in the heat, but I am used to air conditioning and it really got to me. We had 5 players get injured, so it wasn't a good day. I think the other team was on steroids!!! (just joking)

We stayed at a cabin on Sunday night and went night fishing. It was pretty good fishing, so that was fun. The cabin was great, too. Although the kids thought they were going to die without having a TV, they made it through. I loved the peace and quiet of no TV, no cell phones!

I guess our weekly weigh-in challenge is for Fridays? Is that right. And it starts next Friday. I lost a pound last week, so that's a good thing! I need to keep my motivation up, though. It's tough because there is so much going on right now. Any of you have that problem?? ha!

Well, happy Tuesday everyone! Love long weekends!!

alinnell
09-04-2007, 11:45 AM
I had a nice weekend with the extra day. It started out bad with the power outage and all, but ended nicely. DH and I cleaned the back patio, furniture and grill to get it ready for winter entertaining (not that we do that much entertaining, lol). I started a new book Monday morning and ended up reading almost 3/4 of it! Good book!!! I think it is called "Never let me go" and it's kind of futuristic without being futuristic. I know that makes no sense at all!!

Everyone have a great week!

Clydegirl
09-04-2007, 03:16 PM
Hi everyone.

Just noticed The Biggest Loser starts tonight on NBC. I always feel so unfit when I watch that as they exercise so much. It makes me want to get up of the couch. That can't be a bad thing.

I don't think it matters what day you weigh in for the pound a week challenge. I always get on the scales on a Thursday morning so will just stick to that.

Jo good to hear your dog is back to her normal self.

Anyone seen Kimush posting recently? Wonder how she is.

Slashnl
09-04-2007, 04:06 PM
I haven't seen Kimush around.

Also, where's Susan, Cammie, and Laura (iminhere) on this thread?? I've seen Susan's name elsewhere, but not here. And haven't seen the others.

ShyCammie
09-05-2007, 10:56 AM
Hey Ladies,
I'm here. I've been watching the boards rather than writing much. Work really turned up the heat lately, and I've been trying to get a ton done at home. (I can see the progress finally. I'm on this huge de-cluttering/ organizing binge. I bring a project in to my living room area, sort through it, recycle a ton and throw some out...eventually getting the "looked through stuff" to a more right place. I'll be doing this for years, I think, but the volume of stuff has definitely gone down. I even found Christmas presents that I misplaced in past years. Now to find the wrapping paper...)
I've been lifting weights in a more focused manner as well as getting my walking in. My nutrition is ok...but going past Starbucks is still not easy.
Ahh, the joys of coffee and tea...
Hope everyone had a good holiday weekend.
Cammie

Ottoette
09-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Hi ladies,
I've been watching this forum, but I'm always afraid of these huge chat threads, it's hard to get to know everyone and get caught up, but I'd like to try.
I'm 45 as of last month. I have a 2.5 month old dd and an almost-4 year old ds and I live in Colorado. I work full time - telecommute 2 days a week. DH is self employed computer consultant. We watch the baby at home while DS goes to daycare/pre-school.
I've been heavy since puberty. My lowest adult weight was 165 and I haven't seen that in a LONG time, like 15 years. I am currently doing well with a high protein/good carb plan that my nutritionist put me on. I'm nursing, so I can't cut calories too much.
I seem to have an allergy to exercise but I am working on getting into my schedule on a regular basis. If you read the journals here at 3FC, you probably know me.
I am planning on losing 15 lbs by mid-November when we go for our family Christmas photo. I will work on reading the rest of this thread and getting to know you all better.
Kim

Slashnl
09-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Welcome Ottoette! Glad you decided to join in. There are a lot of us who are exercise-phobic, so you'll fit right in! I passed up on exercise yesterday to go out to lunch. Good choice..... not!

I've been frantically busy lately. The kids stuff is overwhelming and then my husband has been out of town, too. Oh, and the job!

Hope everyone has a good day!

beatlekids3
09-06-2007, 01:13 PM
Hi Everyone,

My name is Serena, I turned 40 in July and I desperately need to lose almost 70 lbs. I am a SAHM of three children, ages 9, 7 and 16 months. I started gaining weight in my late 20s, and after three pregnancies (which I used as an excuse to feel comfortable with my weight) I found myself at 205 lbs.

I find that it makes me incredibly self-conscious, afraid to meet new people or see people from my past who havent seen me in many years. I dont know how I let it get this bad, but I am determined to do something about it this time. I have lost 12 lbs so far, and am so proud of myself--this is the farthest I have ever gotten.

I think support is going to be the key for me. To connect with others in a similar situation will hopefully keep me motivated and in turn help me to motivate others. In reading the posts here, I already find I have a lot in common with Kim and her goals. I am looking forward to joining this group and becoming an active member!

Clydegirl
09-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Welcome Kim and Serena. :welcome2:

Jump right in and chat. We're a friendly bunch.

Ottoette
09-06-2007, 04:15 PM
I walked today! Just 15 minutes, but it's a start! 15 minutes full-bore with the baby in the snugli.

Hi Serena!
I can relate to your story. It's amazing how weight can affect our personalities!

Clydegirl
09-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Kim 15 minutes with the baby that counts as double.

Forgot to say I weighed this morning and stayed the same.

I was given a photograph this morning a friend took of me last month and I was shocked :mad:

I look dreadful like man mountain.

If that's not incentive I don't know what is!!!

beatlekids3
09-06-2007, 04:46 PM
Kim, way to go!!! 15 min full throttle with the baby--that's awesome!

I found a picture of myself from 1991 the other day...I cannot believe how nice I looked, and I still thought I was overweight back then...and I realize now that I was probably 130 lbs! Why didnt enjoy it while it lasted? LOL! Anyway, I put the picture on the fridge yesterday as an added incentive. My 7 yr old son said, "Who's that?" When I told him it was me, he said, "Huh. You look....different". Yeah, that's an understatement!

alinnell
09-06-2007, 04:54 PM
Kim, way to go!!! 15 min full throttle with the baby--that's awesome!

I found a picture of myself from 1991 the other day...I cannot believe how nice I looked, and I still thought I was overweight back then...and I realize now that I was probably 130 lbs! Why didnt enjoy it while it lasted? LOL! Anyway, I put the picture on the fridge yesterday as an added incentive. My 7 yr old son said, "Who's that?" When I told him it was me, he said, "Huh. You look....different". Yeah, that's an understatement!

That reminds me of a photo DH and I ran across the other day. It must have been taken 18-22 years ago. I weighed about 20 pounds more than I do today, but DAMN--I was young!!! Not a wrinkle in sight!!! Kind of sucks getting old!! LOL

ShyCammie
09-06-2007, 05:13 PM
I understand about the photos. :D
I have a photo of me in a bikini in my medicine cabinet. I remember that I felt fat when that photo was taken...but, really, I can see ribs, hip bones, and a hint of a 6 pack. (My mom said, "You were never really toned back then..." Translation: yeah, you were slender, but not buff.)
Ahhhh, I'm going to get back there...I've been battling this bulge issue for almost 10 years now. I'm going to get my body back!

beatlekids3
09-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Heck, I wouldnt care if I was buff or not, as long as I could wear a bikini! ;)LOL What I am most looking forward to short term, is being to shop with my best friend in the same clothing section, instead of her in the Misses section and me waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over on the plus side!:o

FitinTime
09-06-2007, 09:00 PM
Hi Everyone,
Is it okay if I join it too?

I've been on this site before, but left for awhile, now I realized how much I missed it here.
My name is Diana and I'm 45, no children yet, but I keep thinking that once I lose the weight I want I'll end up pregnant. That's okay with me though!!

I'm doing Atkins and started around the begining of April 07. I want to get down to 180 by Thanksgiving. I hope I get there!

I look forward to talking to all you ladies. I'm usually online quiet often because I'm computer for work all the time. My boss doesn't get mad at me because he's my dad! LOL!!

Talk to ya soon!

Clydegirl
09-06-2007, 09:49 PM
Diana the more the merrier, join in :wave:

I think I should hang up that photo on my fridge to remind me how big I am.

beatlekids3
09-07-2007, 07:56 AM
Good Morning Ladies,

I lost half a lb when I weighed myself this morning. Its certainly better than nothing! How often is everyone weighing themselves? I have been doing it every mornng, just to keep myself motivated to keep my eating in check. So far I have been losing a half a lb or a full lb every day, so it is fun to wake up and see. I keep dreaming I am going to check the scale one morning and like, 50 lbs will have melted away. HA!

I've lost 13 lbs so far. I started on Aug 27. But so far, no one has noticed, which is discouraging. But that is probably because there is so much of me, and I prefer my clothes to be loose. Anyone else waiting for someone to notice all your hard work?:hug:

Is that really me
09-07-2007, 09:34 AM
Hi all and :welcome2: to Ottoetto (Kim), beatlekids3 and FitinTime! Glad you're here. We are a pretty friendly bunch of ladies.

Kim -- I laughed at your "allergy to exercise". I used to be like that until after I had my first kid. (BTW, I'm newly 47 w/3 kids ages 17, 14 (special needs) and 10. Married 20 years) I started doing Firm tapes and riding a really lame exercise bike after she was born. It took me a long time to get in the habit of exercise and I've fallen in and out of it over the last several years but I always find that once I put my mind into, the rest just follows. It actually makes me feel good when I'm done. When I'm doing it? Some days are better than others. :D Start slowly and build up. It will get easier.

beatlekids3 - I love your Plankton pic! I know what you mean about not wanting to run into people from your past and have them see you now. Friends from long ago moved about 15 minutes from us last year. I've yet to see them even though they've invited us over a few times. Hubby (who actually knows them more than I do) goes but I just keep thinking "when I lose another 10 lbs; I just don't want them to see me and think 'ooo, she got fat'." :rolleyes: I know it's not logical but that's how I feel. Yeah, like they haven't changed in the past 15 years or so! I also see pictures of me from my past when I thought I was "fat" at 130. Boy, I'd give my right arm to be that "fat" again!! LOL

Allison - I got a kick out of your post. Amazing how when turning 30 or 35 or 40 seemed a big deal and you look back and realize how young you actually were. I'm expecting this trend to continue on. And how 'bout the lack of gray hair back then? LOL A year or so ago I let my oldest daughter color her hair. She wanted red hair; it's hair and it grows out; I said fine. She did and about a month later she said she needed to do it again. I was like "what do you mean? You just did it". She said "but mom, you color your hair every month". My reply? "That's cause I HAVE to"! :lol: Kids! Have you tried reading a thesaurus w/out those darn OTC reading glasses? Everytime I do I hear Lindsay Lohan's character from "Freaky Friday" screaming "OMG, she's BLIND!!" :rofl:

FitinTime - we can do this; all of us. Support is so helpful. One lb. at a time, right?

How did everyone do w/the mini challenge of losing 1 lb. by the end of this week? I think Diane (Slashnl) was the one who said that Christmas was 17 weeks away and that if we all lost just 1 lb. a week we'd be 17 lbs. lighter by then. So we started a mini challenge of losing just 1 lb. a week. I'm happy to say that I'm 'one pound down'. Don't know how 'cause TOM decided to pay an early and putzy but lengthy visit --- but I'll take it. I've been fatigued and have had crummy sleeping the past week but I'm off to my beloved TM for some heart accelerating fun anyway. Then some weights. Then may move some furniture around, walk the dog. Wow, my life is boring! :lucky:

Have a great weekend all!!!

Jo

P.S. I haven't seen Kimush at all either. I'll post another PM to her. I wish that little sheeba would come back!

Clydegirl
09-07-2007, 10:21 AM
Hi Jo.

On the challenge I stayed the same this week.

What's sleep? I'm definetly in that hormonal lack of sleep phase. Every night it drives me mad.

Slashnl
09-07-2007, 10:30 AM
Welcome to the new people (and the returning ones!). Glad to have you join in!

Ah yes, the pictures. I have one of me in college that was amazing. A FLAT stomach. Wow. And like everyone else, I thought I was fat then.

alinnell
09-07-2007, 11:15 AM
Jo~no gray hair here yet, but then I'm blond so it would be hard to see if there were any. I've been coloring my hair for 4 or 5 years because the blond is going darker and darker, although I got tired of having to do it so often and have actually added more brown to the color rather than just the blond highlights. And the reading glasses only come in handy when I need to see the phone book (so far!).

Today, DD and I are driving to Fullerton to take a tour of UC Fullerton. Currently it is her #1 choice for college, but she's also going to apply to UCLA, USC, Arizona State, UT Austin and UC San Diego.

Clydegirl
09-07-2007, 05:05 PM
Allison are you going to visit all of the schools?

I enjoyed going to the schools with my oldest when she was deciding where to go.

It's such an exciting time and made me feel like going back to college.

Slashnl
09-09-2007, 10:53 AM
Hey all, just a note to let you know that I'm going to be gone for most of the week. I have to go to Denver to a seminar for a few days. I hope everyone stays on plan, including me!

Have a great week.

Kimush
09-09-2007, 10:55 PM
:grouphug:Hey There Everybody...:grouphug:

This is a big hello to all the newbies and oldies...

:bubbles:Oh my gosh it has been like a million years or so! I hadn't disappeared but I had computer problems, and then got this new computer which as been so hard to get used to...and then my holidays started with much upheaval and we left early for my holidays due to family illness with my family in New Jersey! So now I am back and trying to figure out my computer again! :yay: :yikes:

I was away in NJ and NYC for just over 3 weeks...and I gained 7 lbs :crazy: :fr:...Considering all the eating I did I was really pleased that it I didn't weigh more as I was not very disciplined...So now I am on track and eating heathy! The one thing that I was able to maintain while on holidays was getting in my steps everyday. The one day my daughter and myself walked just over 25000 steps as we walked from Port Authority to Central Park and then took the subway to Bleeker and walked all over that area (Washington Park, Union Square) and over to Canal Street...:exercise::running:

Hope all is well with everyone! It looks like I have a ton of reading so I will :mag: and :write:tomorrow!

Take Care and have a Good Night! :bunny2: (I just couldnt' resist he is so cute!)
Kimush

ShyCammie
09-10-2007, 09:27 AM
Ladies,
Just thought I'd post some words that were good for me to read. Hope you find them helpful.
Cammie

Bob Harper On...
...food
If it grows out of the ground, or you can pick it off a tree, chances are that it's good for you.
Eliminate the problem. Get rid of temptation foods in your house. Don't even bring them in.
Add a little Crystal Light to your water for a sweeter taste.
If you don't have measuring cups available, use your fist to figure out correct portions. From chicken breasts to veggies to fruit, just about every portion you'll eat is the size of your fist.
Make dining a pleasant ritual. Sit down and enjoy your food rather than eating on the go.
A great appetizer to order at an Asian restaurant or a sushi bar is edamame, steamed soybeans. They're delicious, and you can fix them at home too. Just pop them in the microwave for a few seconds, then sprinkle a little sea salt on them, and enjoy.
...exercise
Thinking that you can't get in shape because you don't have two hours a day to exercise is just another excuse for doing nothing. Start small, because small can only get bigger. Starting big means burning out, blowing out, getting injured--another reason you might quit altogether.
When Michael Phelps is in the pool swimming, what is he thinking about? He's thinking about one thing and that's swimming faster. When Lance Armstrong is in a race, what is he thinking about? Pedaling faster.
...motivation
It is never too late to take charge of your life.
Use a food journal to keep track of what triggered you to overeat--negative emotions, stress, a celebration, or being with certain people. Identifying these trigger situations will help you put a stop to them.
The main thing is to make peace with your body now, before you try to change it. Accept where you are at the moment. Okay, you're overweight. But how great that you've decided to do something about it!
My clients, particularly those who have to lose a lot of weight, are often very angst-ridden when they start. They say, "You're going to take away the food I love! You're going to make me do things I don't want to do, which is why nothing has ever worked for me!" I try to get them to relax. This isn't about beating yourself down but lifting yourself up. It involves realizing why your eating has gotten out of control and starting to think about food differently. I teach them how to work their favorite foods into their plan so they don't ever feel deprived.
When you find yourself thinking, I'm going to get an ice cream cone because I've had such a bad day, just stop. Take a moment and ask yourself, Am I really hungry? Do I really want this? Why do I want it? The pause gets you thinking instead of simply acting on impulse.
Losing weight and keeping it off means balance, not going without treats for the rest of your life.

Jillian Michaels on...
...food
Losing weight is not about starving yourself; it's about eating what you want, with certain modifications.
It's okay if you don't like spinach or broccoli. You don't have to eat it. Find what you like and make it work for you.
If you don't have time to get in the kitchen and prepare a meal, cook in bulk. In other words, prepare a bunch of food that you can eat over the course of several days. Or prepare several full meals, put them in plastic baggies, refrigerate them, then reheat them in the microwave when you're ready to eat.
...exercise
Exercise becomes fun when you become physically capable. When you can look at yourself and say, "I'm a kick boxer" or "I'm sprinting 11 miles an hour," that when exercise is fun.
...motivation
Sometimes you've got to have hit bottom, like realizing you can't play tag with your kids without getting out of breath before you decide to improve your level of fitness.
You've got to be able to love yourself before you can really get in shape. Start acknowledging your own achievements and stop looking for external validation. It isn't about your boyfriend being proud of you or your dad being proud; it's about feeling good and right with yourself.
If you're prone to emotional overeating, identify what is happening psychologically, deal with that situation, verbalize your feelings, and address that issue rather than turn to food.

Clydegirl
09-10-2007, 02:57 PM
:wave: Hi Kimush good to see you back.

Cammie some good ideas there. I like the point he made about not bringing the food into the house if it's a problem. That's what I do. It's all right if it's not open but once that bag of chips gets opened up forget it.

Is that really me
09-11-2007, 10:47 AM
Hey all, just popping in quickly. Cammie, great stuff. I really relate to the 'impulse' eating thing. If I just stop for 5 seconds and think about if I'm really hungry or not it helps so much. That mindless, zombie like state of just grabbing and munching away is my nemisis.

Today is the first day in well over a week that I feel like myself. The fatigue and interruption of sleep due to TOM is bad enough but I always forget that it takes me at least 2 weeks to acclimate into the school routine. The first two days of school are fine then the reality of getting up at 5 a.m. sinks in and man on man, it just drains me until I'm up to speed.

Don't know if anyone else visits Skwigg's Blog or not (I got the link from here awhile ago). She seems like a terrific lady and is hilarious. I posted a Q/A from her site on motivation. Just wanted to share. Her site link is: http://skwigg.tripod.com/blog/ Browse around there; good stuff.

Hey Kim, so glad to see that you made it back here!!! Looking forward to catching up! :hug:

Jo

"Motivated or Not Question

Q: I have one question for you - How do you always stay motivated to exercise and eat right? My motivation decided to leave me (I think it went on vacation) and I have no clue when it will return. Summer is almost here and I still can't get it together!! Just want to know how you do it!

A: Ah, this is one of those things that I guess nobody tells you. Motivation and will-power are totally useless. If you think they're required and you wait around until you have them, you'll never succeed long term. You'll only succeed for the month or day or minute that you can keep it together. I'm not motivated to workout, not at all. I don't put that much thought into it. ****, half the time I'm not even awake yet. The workout is over before my brain is alert enough to question the idea. Fitness is part of my day like brushing my teeth or going to work. I do those things whether I'm all excited and happy about them or not.

If I have one secret to share, it's that I don't allow myself to even start that inner dialogue about whether I'm going to workout or not, whether I'm going to eat well or not. It's a given, not something that's up for debate every morning. Some days I'm eager to train hard and eat well, and some days I'd rather poke an eye out, but either way it gets done, and I at least TRY to have fun.

Your plans will be ruined most of the time, so always have backups. If you can't follow plan A, have plans B, C, and D to fall back on. Don't get stuck with a "perfectly or not at all" mindset. You can always do something. Do a 7-minute bodyweight circuit instead of an hour-long weight session, eat three bites of pie instead of the whole piece, go for a walk instead of feeling guilty about skipping the gym. Create enjoyable habits that you can carry out to some degree even when you're a basket case or life is hectic. Don't wait around for some day in the future when you'll get motivated enough to really deprive and annoy yourself."

ShyCammie
09-12-2007, 09:58 AM
Hi Ladies,

Jo- I really like that philosophy. The reality is, when working out is "part of my life" then I feel healthier (whether I lose weight or not). If I eat and sleep, then I should also work out. As for going to work...well, someday I plan to retire and not go to work. But I still plan on eating and sleeping, therefore, I also plan on working out.

Did anyone else watch (or tape) the Biggest Loser last night?
I did.
I stayed on my cross trainer last night while watching and this morning while watching again. It made 25 mins go by pretty fast and (I have to laugh) the "suspense" created by the weigh in made me go faster. :D
Plus, taping and watching allowed me to fast forward through the food commercials.
(Aside) I mean, really, do I need to have 5 Arby's sandwiches for $5.95? I don't think so! I've decided I'm going to make up my own words to the commercial so that I can say I don't want the 302 calories per Arby's melt at 36 carbs per sandwhich multiplied by 5 (1510 calories; 180 carbs) showing up around my waist. If I gained the calories from just commercials, I'd have gained an entire roll of fat last night! (I really do like the Jamocha shakes but at 498 calories and 81 carbs for a regular size shake - I can't handle it.) Now I'm thinking MY commercial words are: "Arby's 5 more pounds for $5.95...I too can to pay good money for more fat rolls or another chin."
(Back to the Biggest Loser) I think I'm going to pretend I'm on Jillian's team (the concept of everyone not really knowing I'm in the competition seems better). Maybe I'll be that surprise contestant when it comes down to the last 6 people.
So, y'all are my team...I promise to electronically yell "Push yourself! You can do it!" to anyone else who would like to participate with random "BL 40 something team" encouragement.
I realize that I may not see progress like anyone on the show. In fact it's highly unlikely since I already eat well and exercise. I might not see a scale victory for months. My victory will be in continuing to do the right thing for me which includes eating healthy and exercising daily...
Anyways, I need to go apply my bizarre way of thinking to work.

Clydegirl
09-12-2007, 10:19 AM
I missed the Biggest Loser last night. I was hoping it would be repeated on one of the other NBC channels but no luck finding it.

I bought some of those new glad ziplock baggies for vegetables. Heven't used one yet.

fluffymae
09-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Hi there ya'll, just want to say hi today. I have been on my latest "diet" for two weeks now. They say hope springs eternal and so I keep trying. Today I found this website, and having never tried to diet in a group (or with support) I thought at the ripe age of 47 I'd try to see if it helps any. As you can see by my weight loss tape, I have a long way to go. :cheer2: for the 4 pounds I have lost so far, as one time I managed to gain weight on a diet, that was weird and very discouraging. :( . Do you find eating breakfast helping to keep late night binging down? I tried for 47 years to not eat breakfast, but these last two weeks I have been making myself eat at least 500 cals within two hours of waking and it seems to be helping.

Clydegirl
09-12-2007, 07:58 PM
:welcome2: Hi fluffymae welcome aboard. We're a friendly bunch.

Pop in and chat anytime about anything that's on your mind.

We're at about the same numbers. I was 230 at my heaviest. That was 7 years ago and find it very difficult to lose weight at the minute.

Good luck with the weight loss. You'll get lots of support on here.

Meant to say eating breakfast does help to stop over eating mid morning or at lunch time. You know what they say breakfast is the most important meal of the day

I don't know about those night time munchies. I think a lot of that is habit.

lrapps
09-14-2007, 09:55 PM
Hello all, thought I'd pop in and say hello. My name is Linda and I have been married to Andy for 13 years. We have 2 kiddos that we homeschool. I've been doing weight watchers since Jan and as you can see it's going really slow. I've been doing better recently though and I'm still not seeing much progress on the scale. It can be quite discouraging when you are doing everything "right" and the scale doesn't budge. I have been exercising regularly for the past few months so maybe it's muscle growth but with all the work I want the reward!!!:tantrum: Anyways I'm glad I have someplace to voice my frustration. I'm actually not quite 40 yet, my birthday is on Oct 3rd. I hope that's ok:^: I'm looking forward to learning from you all as I head into my next decade.

Slashnl
09-15-2007, 11:44 AM
Welcome to Fluffymae and Linda. Linda, you are definitely welcome to be here even though you are not quite 40. It comes at you fast enough, doesn't it??! We all have a lot of the same struggles, so jump in and chat with us.

Well, I made it back from Denver. It was a good time, so that was nice. A lot of relaxing at night. I found that I don't relax well anymore, though. The seminar went all day and then at night we were on our own. They booked awesome suites for us and you had a lot of space to yourself and the quiet time was nice... for the most part. I found myself loving the relaxing for about an hour and then my mind started working on me. I felt awfully restless. I think it was because I know how much stuff I have to do at home. There I am in the hotel, flipping through TV channels and all I can think about is what I could be doing at home. Pathetic. The really good thing is that my kids both said they really missed me. My 13yo daughter said that you don't know how much you need someone until they aren't around. :D I hope she remembers that when I'm getting on her about her chores and homework!!

Cammie, I wanted to comment about what you said about the commercials like Arby's 5 for 5.95. I have thought the same thing about those things. I don't know if they are all over the nation, but Carl's Jr is a burger franchise here and their commercials are just awful. In particular, they always show the latest thing they are promoting, right at the end of the commercial. It is almost always dripping melted cheese or some kind of sauce. Yuck!

How is everyone else doing???

Clydegirl
09-16-2007, 05:46 PM
Why do I do challenges? I never do well.

I gained a pound and a half this week. I really need to get moving as I haven't done any exercise in ages. I know that makes a difference. Things are really stressful at the minute as my hubs has not got a job yet and it makes me eat worrying about it.

How is everyone else doing?

Is that really me
09-18-2007, 09:15 AM
I stayed the same this week. No surprise there; I'm eating too much. Maintaining doesn't seem to be a problem -- it's the "gettin' it off" part that is so hard. For all of us. :)

Jo

alinnell
09-18-2007, 12:08 PM
Good morning everyone!

Yeah, challenges. I rarely do well, either. I am still trying to lose 5 pounds in a couple different challenges (both of which have already been "won"). I was within half a pound and suddenly, over 2 days, I inexplicably gained 4 pounds. What the heck? I've lost 2.5 of that--and it has taken me 4 days to do that. I'm sure TOM is to blame.

I just have to keep plodding on. I know I'm doing okay. I am getting more exercise than I was earlier this summer. I'm almost back to the weight I was earlier this year. Maybe by the end of the year I'll be close to goal.

Slashnl
09-18-2007, 12:44 PM
Don't you just wish we could get a "do over"??? If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have put on this much weight. I would have caught it much earlier and would have been so much more sensible. I can maintain... it is just so tough to actually lose. Oh well, my fault for getting this way!

I like the cooler weather, though. It makes me get more exercising in. Going walking at lunch today and I'm really looking forward to it. It's been tough getting the time to do it over the summer. It is busy now, too, but at least the lunch hours are open for walking!!

Busy all the time right now. Football practice, football games, volleyball practice, volleyball games. "Did you do your homework?" "Did you do your chores?" "Did you brush your teeth?" "Did you clean your room?"

Fun times, but just when you think you can't get any busier, you do. I'm sure that eating dinner last night at 9:00 was really good for the weight loss effort. :)

alinnell
09-18-2007, 01:00 PM
Busy all the time right now. Football practice, football games, volleyball practice, volleyball games. "Did you do your homework?" "Did you do your chores?" "Did you brush your teeth?" "Did you clean your room?"

While I don't have to worry about practices, we sure are busy like you! Our school district moved our Friday football this week to Thursday (because of Yom Kippur) and that sure messes up my weekly schedule!

Oh, and don't get me started on "did you do your homework!" I asked DS this last night and he said "yes" so I asked to see it....yeah, right, it wasn't done and there he was playing his 'shoot-em-up' game on the internet. Needless to say he got off the computer pretty fast after that! LOL I don't ask him much other than that--everything else is an ORDER!

Slashnl
09-19-2007, 10:45 AM
Gosh, Allison, I just get so frustrated with it all. I try not to enable their irresponsible behavior regarding homework by constantly checking it, but I want to try to teach them to put the important things first. Drives me crazy.

Makes me tired!!!

JaxBarb
09-22-2007, 12:19 AM
Hi All,

I haven't been on here in quite some time, working too many hours I guess. I hope everyone is doing well.

I've been stuck at the same weight for about the last four weeks and needed to gain some inspiration. I've been sticking to about 1200 calories a day and the frustration is mounting. Reading the comments and seeing that others are dealing with the same struggles really helps. I've finally started exercising again and hope that will give me a jump start. I actually made it through a 55 minute exercise class at the gym this week and lived to tell the tale. :dancer:

Diane - Thanks for the message giving me the new thread information. I really appreciate it!

Slashnl
09-22-2007, 10:28 AM
Glad to see you post, Barb. Boy, it is just a common thought with a lot of us that this weight loss thing is just so hard. I have always thought that if I could get a "do over", I think that I can maintain. But losing is tough! However, I was reading something that someone else posted about losing weight. She has lost over 100 pounds and she thinks that it helped her to go through the weight loss to really learn what she needed to do and what worked and didn't work for her. She said that she wouldn't have wanted the magic wand to take the weight off. I guess going through the tough stuff helped her. *** I still think I'd like the magic wand. ***

Our thread has gotten pretty quiet lately. I guess everyone is busy??

I've been doing better this week with being on plan. I'm going to check the scale on Monday. I usually cheat during the week and check the scale, but I've been afraid to because I don't want to get discouraged. I started back to walking at lunch time with my friend. It is finally cool enough to do that. It helps a lot. I still can't seem to get all the water in like I was before, but I'm working up to that. I've been doing ok with food, but need to be a little more diligent with my efforts.

Other than that, the kids are busy, so we're busy. My daughter had to miss a school dance because she has a bad grade in one of her classes. Well, maybe this will teach her a lesson. She can do very well, but tends to get distracted by other things in life... boys, friends, etc. She's a great kid, but I have to ride her all the time about homework and school.

My son is almost obsessive the other way. He really wants straight A's. I was like that through school, so I hope he's not too far overboard on that. The good thing is that he doesn't just do his school work, he's very active in sports. I just don't want him to be too hard on himself! A few B's are ok!!

Well, hope everyone else is good. Write a note and tell us what's up! I miss a lot of you!!!!!!!!

Ladiibbug
09-23-2007, 04:04 PM
Hi Ladies ~

I'm coming out of Lurkdom to say hello. This looks like a nice group of gals, and I'd like to join your group. 3FC has given me lots of excellent info, plus nice people & mutual support.

I'm Teri in No. California. I began my getting healthy efforts on July 1, lost my first 22 lbs. so far, which has thrilled me!

I'm off meds for minor high blood pressure & minor high cholesterol (nurse pract says OK). My knees and hips are feeling great, and I hope the weight loss eases the winter cold/arthritis type pains. Plus, I can tell that weight has come off my BUTT! :carrot:

www.fitday.com has been a big help, and I log in every bite. I aim for 1,200 calories (minimum - I wanna do this the healthy way), but usually end up around 1400.

I've totally quit the regular diet of pizza & pastries. :devil: I'm eating very healthy foods :broc:, whole grains, lean protein. Saw Dr. Oz on Oprah and read his book "You On A Diet", which makes a lot of sense to me. I've added a teaspoon of olive oil (total per day) to my foods (eating 4-5 mini-meals a day), and find that helps keep hunger away. And I'm still within my calorie budget.

My exercise consists of walking 1.5 miles four times a week. My dogs LOVE this routine :running:

I just met my first mini-goal of 20 lbs. lost by 12/31 (wasn't sure how quickly it'd come off), so I'll be setting a new mini-goal. That was a good motivator!

Look forward to getting to know everyone! Have a good week. :)

Clydegirl
09-23-2007, 08:35 PM
Hi Ladiibug and welcome to our little group. The more the merrier. sounds like you are doing well with your weight loss.

Hi Diane we're missing a few people at the moment.

Well so much for my pound a week. I weighed last Thursday and had gained 5.5lbs could not believe it :( I thought I had done enough to stay steady. My head is just not in the right place at the moment.

So because of that I don't have any expectations for this week.

JaxBarb
09-23-2007, 11:07 PM
I love the idea of a magic wand but somehow, I don't see a fairy godmother appearing in my life anytime soon. I suppose I'll have to go the old fashioned route and work at it.

I'm going to set a goal for myself of 165 by Christmas and do my best to meet it. I have to officially weigh in twice a week and that helps me stay on track. I also bought one of the scales that measures to 2/10's of a pound and weigh myself daily so even if I've only lost a couple of ounces, it shows up and at least gives me some encouragement. It also measures body fat and water percentage so I can make sure I'm getting enough water in me. Of course lately, the scale doesn't see to want to budge.

Hi Teri - Welcome! I also do fitday.com and track everything I eat and I find it really makes a difference. I kept seeing it mentioned by people on here and decided to check it out. I love it.

Pearlrose
09-23-2007, 11:22 PM
Hello everyone, I have been on this website since January but only on Southbeach Thread and just noticed the 40 something thread, so I thought I would join you all. I am 43 and so far have lost 30 lbs since Jan. but still trying to lose 30 more. I am on a plateau right now, so trying to get past it and keep motivated to keep on going (atleast I am maintaining and not going up).

Is that really me
09-24-2007, 09:22 AM
Hi guys, just stopping in for a quickie. :) Just plodding along w/exercising and trying to watch the eating (that part is not going very well. :() But I keep trying. It's reassuring to know that others are having the same difficulties that I am having. Misery loves company, eh? ;)

Our neighbors - two doors up - are getting an inground pool. The construction trucks (3) were here Sat. a.m. at freakin' 6:30 in the morning!, idling the entire time with spurts of loud machine working stuff. It's the only day we have all week where no one has to be up really early. We called the township (closed) then the cops to ask about a time ordinance pertaining to this type of stuff. Regardless of what an ordinance says (they didn't know and sent a cop over to the pool people's house), wouldn't you just be considerate and tell the pool workers that on a weekend they could not show up b/4 say 8a.m.? To top it off, the trucks were here 5 hours spraying the cement on the pool then left. They left the street - from the pool ppl's house down past our house - w/crap all over the road. Cement, stones, sand, mud. The ppl getting the pool washed some - there is a lot still left on the road - of it down the street, the ppl. next door to us washed it down from in front of their house to our house and it all landed right in front of our driveway. About 3 inches of this slop. Can you say rude? Both neighbors. We spent about 2 1/2 hrs over the weekend power washing the street just so we could get in and out of the driveway w/out this stuff getting tracked in. Am I crazy or shouldn't the pool workers have cleaned the mess up that they made? Why didn't the ppl getting the pool insist that they do this? In cleaning up the mess we made darn sure that it didn't land in front of the ppl's driveway who live next to us. We even waited to clean it up cause the neighbors across the street were getting new carpeting and they had it spread out on their driveway. We didn't want to get any of this stuff on their rug by accident. What has happened to just being considerate of others? I know the ppl getting the pool (it's in the stupidest place -- the front/side of their house running from their house to the neighbors driveway. Why they didn't run it front to back or more logically, put it in their back yard is beyond me.) still have more work to be done. The cement surround on the pool needs to be done. They will be getting a phone call from me the day that happens asking them to make sure the workers clean up their mess. If they refuse, do you think I could leave the mess there and notify the township? Sorry for the rant. I just can't believe how rude some people are. I ended up missing the game on Sunday because I was trying to get the mess cleaned up. Ggggrrrrrrrr!!!

Anyone else gone through teaching their kids to drive? WOW, what an eye opener! Talk about scary :) Slowly but surely it improves. Little steps, one at a time. Whew!!

Have a good one all.

Jo

alinnell
09-24-2007, 12:13 PM
Jo~when we built our house a couple of years ago, one neighbor complained because he worked the night shift and he didn't like having the workers there during the day--BUT we only had the workers there when the city allowed it so he really shouldn't have complained. Another neighbor complained because some of the construction trucks marred the newly surfaced road so we had to fix that, but that was no big deal. Yes, I think the workers should have cleaned up before they left! Yes, I think that it is right to expect work on weekends to start later (here it has to by 7 AM any day). We're in construction and we abide by the rules of the city we work in (otherwise we risk getting fined).

Clydegirl
09-24-2007, 03:08 PM
Hi Jo.

My middle daughter is learning to drive at the moment :eek: She has done the driver's ed and now needs to get her 50 hours in. She doesn't turn 16 until Oct 15th but she wants to get her license on her birthday. I've told her she will get it when I'm ready!! I seem to be the one going out with her for most of her driving and I am very uncomfortable doing it. I think that 16 is way too young to have a driver's license. When my oldest learned she waited and was almost 18 before she got hers. However middle daughter is doing OK I'm just not ready to hand her the keys yet.

Slashnl
09-24-2007, 04:45 PM
I have a couple of more years before I have to face the driving issue. I do know that I will have to make the judgment based on if she is keeping her grades up and can show any level of maturity, because that is not coming through right now. She just doesn't take responsibility for her actions yet, so I hope that changes before she has her little hand reaching for the keys!!

I figured out that my 11 yr old son has a crush. This one girl was talking to me while my son was there and he just grinned and blushed. She's a cutie and she's in his class, so I put 2 and 2 together. He's just starting to notice girls right now. I hope he doesn't jump ahead too much!!

alinnell
09-24-2007, 05:03 PM
Gals, I have a 16 year old who is driving. Scary as all get out--let me tell ya!!! The worst part is that she graduates this year and will be leaving for college (she is almost 17). She's probably going somewhere in Southern California so driving will be even worse than it is around here. Lately she has taken to driving to the coast on the weekends with friends. Saturday it was Anaheim for a concert. Thank goodness she texts me when she is leaving so I can judge when she'll get home. Instinctively I wake up around the time she is due home and wait until I hear her come in. This weekend, she even came into our room to announce she was home. That is sweet.

Slashnl
09-25-2007, 10:29 AM
Allison, I think it is good that you let her venture out like that. I know that we all want to continue to protect our kids as much as we possibly can, but they need ot learn how to do these things. It amazes me that in such a short amount of time, we'll be expecting them to go off to college and become adults. Spooky! So, I think it is good that you're giving her this time to learn and grow.

Is that really me
09-25-2007, 10:35 AM
Clydegirl, I'm with you. I think 16 is way too young to drive. They have no sense of things, even the mature ones (my daughter is one of those). It doesn't matter to us what the law says about how old you have to be -- we wanted her to be 17 b/4 she got her license and , well, our law beats their law! She's doing well but she's only had her permit a few weeks. She's got a better feel for the car but has a very loooonnnngggg way to go. She needs to find the 'center of the road' for the car better. She's hugging those trees but close! :eek: My first car was a black 1966 Crysler New Yorker. It was my dad's then my oldest brother's. By the time I got it I think it was around 12 or 14 yrs old. A tank. It had a hood ornament -- ah, the good old days :) - and it was easy to know where the car was when driving. Just place that hoodie inbetween the yellow line and the white line and bingo, you're just centered in the road. Too bad they got rid of those things!

Jo

Slashnl
09-28-2007, 10:48 AM
Hey all, it sure is quiet on this thread lately. I hope everyone is ok!!

Not much to say here. I just wanted to pop in and tell everyone to have a good weekend.

Ladiibbug
09-29-2007, 02:18 PM
Hi! How's everyone doing this week end?

Fall has made her arrival! We had our first serious rain (with wind!) in No. California last night.

Friday while walking my dogs it was just a perfect Fall day! Crisp, clear, temperature maybe 75*. This is harvest time for the nut trees ... the birds and squirrels are busy gathering walnuts, almonds, you name it. And we saw a deer in a quiet wooded area where we walk!

Yesterday I treated myself to lunch & dinner of a turkey burger :hungry: OMG, it was soooo good! Whole wheat bread, dijon mustard and tomato slices. Plus snacks of brown rice, pinto beans & salsa. Must buy fruit today.

Look forward to hearing from everyone! Let's chat! :gossip:

Clydegirl
09-30-2007, 01:17 AM
Hi girls. Can't sleep so got up and decided to check what everyone was up to!!

I've got so much on my mind at the moment. I need to chill.

Ladiibug it's still warm here and I'm tired of it. We're still in the 80's all next week as well. It's supposed to be Autumn. I love Autumn ,my favourite season, all the lovely colours.

Hi Diane :wave:

We went shopping and let daughter drive. Oh boy that was a fun trip. She's not ready for her license yet and my brake in the back seat would not work ;)

Ladiibbug
09-30-2007, 07:57 PM
Hi Ladies!

Here's my report on last week - Sunday thru Sat.:

Food - Fit Day stats:

Ave. Daily Cal's: 1379

Ave. Daily Breakdown by Type of Cal:

Fat: 23% (Sat. 8gm / Poly 2gm / Mono 8 gm)
Carb 53%
Protein: 24%

I'm happy with last week's food stats! Better than the week before when I gave in to cravings :devil: and feasted on fried boneless chicken breast tenders ... for two dinners!! The cal and fat stats for that week were :o

Exercise:

Three days of walking :running: :running: :running:

The last 2 of the 3 I officially increased my time from 45 minutes per walk to at least 60. One day I walked 70 minutes!

Wishing everyone a good week!

JustSayNoToDiets
09-30-2007, 09:17 PM
I was feeling a little bummed and thought of all the things that are not going quite the way I think they should... and then I thought about how negative thinking affects my eating habits. So I thought instead that I'd list the things that are going right. :)

I have a wonderful 11 y.o. daughter who is my pride and joy.

We acquired 2 cats this weekend ("temporarily"... yeah, right) bringing our feline family to three... so far there's no fur flying and the house appears to have been divided into three separate zones... lol.

I still have a job though I work in a field that has been affected tremendously by the current mortgage crisis.

I found 3FC and FitDay.

I know there's a WW ice cream thingie in the fridge that I can have now that I chose to concentrate on the positive. :D

Slashnl
10-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Had one of those eye-opening weekends (totally NOT weight related, so don't think I'm going there). I took my two middle school kids to a "fall festival" on Friday night. They have entertainment, a carnival, vendors... you know the drill. Well, I remember when we would go and the kids would be ok with walking around with me. Well, that's no longer the case. :) I live in a fairly small town and everyone knows everyone else, but I really had trouble just letting the kids go off by themselves. There seemed to be a large concentration of middle school kids by the carnival and they were having a great time, so I let them go off to that area without me. It was "over-protective mother" ****. But, I made it through it and they had a great time. I was soooooo ready to go home after that, but I think I made progress in letting them spread their wings, if only just a little bit. It actually was a lot of fun (if I really admit it) to watch all of the kids having fun with all of their friends. I remember those days. But my mom never had to fret like we all do now, with the times we live in now. Anyway, thought I'd share that!

It was an incredibly busy weekend, but it was good. My house is still a pig sty and that didn't change much, but we had fun doing other stuff. My boy is in football and he had his first chance to kick an extra point at the game. It was good!!!!!!! How fun!

Other than that, I actually lost a little weight and I have to admit that I'm back down to my ticker weight, so I'm no longer living a lie! Ha!

Did everyone else have a good weekend? If you're a baseball fan, did you happen to see my Rockies?? Winning 13 of the last 14?? How fun to have a playoff game to get into the playoffs!!

Clydegirl
10-02-2007, 11:31 PM
Diane it's always hard to let go. Once they hit middle school they want that wee bit of independence from their parents. They will still need you for other things and will always come back.

Go Rockies that was some game last night the way they kept coming back and getting more runs. A fun game to watch. It's all over this season for the Redbirds :(

Goldfish
10-04-2007, 02:20 PM
Hi everyone! I hope I have better luck in this room. Im afraid to even say anything now.

Clydegirl
10-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Hi everyone! I hope I have better luck in this room. Im afraid to even say anything now.

Welcome Goldfish.

It's quiet in here just now but we're a chatty bunch.

Goldfish
10-06-2007, 06:01 AM
Hi clydegirl, thank you for responding back to me. I havent been having any luck getting people to respond back to me. I am just looking for a buddy to help me through some tuff times, been going through alot lately and the scales are going up with it.

JustSayNoToDiets
10-06-2007, 08:02 AM
Good morning all... hope everyone has a nice weekend! As for me, I have to work today. We rotate Saturdays and today is mine. BUT what that means is no more Saturdays for 6 weeks. :)

Ladiibbug
10-06-2007, 01:58 PM
:welcome3: Goldfish!

Everyone's on the same journey here ... jump right into the conversation as soon as you feel comfortable. :hug: Are you on any specific plan right now? How's is it going for you?

I lost another 5 lbs. :broc: since 9/17. All the walking and proper portions of healthy food are paying off!

Just in time, too, as I was getting strong cravings for bad foods. A little more weight lost banished those cravings and got me all enthusiastic again!

Bought a good pair of walking shoes yesterday. Tried to take the dogs out for walkies yesterday, but :rain: was getting the dogs too wet. I had an umbrella, but ... we went home after a block. Walkies BOTH Sat. & Sunday for us!

Hope everyone is doing well.

brenda723
10-06-2007, 07:11 PM
Hi E1,
Im new here at 3fc and I just wanted to say I wish I had found this site a long time ago.Im 43 I have 2 daughters 17 and 21.I have battled my weight since like forever.It is so great to see all the support people have for each other here.:hug: I tried some hiking tonite with hubby.He took me on the trail from ****.I kept telling him to take it easy on me chubby chicks dont do well on jumping rocks LOL.He says you can do this this well he was right I did it after falling in a ditch and slamming my hip and leg and alot of not so nice words I DID IT!!!My hip is on ice as I write but I feel really good about myself. Thanks for listening:carrot:

brenda723
10-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Good
luck to all that have daughters getting their drivers permits.i went through it twice my oldest being an angel and my youngest being more of a challenge for me.:devil:We went to court last week to fight her first speeding ticket mmm that was interesting.

she ended up with no fine but I really dont think of that as winning because as much as I would like to be I cant be with her to make her slow down.. teenagers so much fun.:dizzy: keep us posted how she does and good luck

i thought a speeding ticket would have

i

Kimush
10-06-2007, 08:44 PM
:grouphug:Hey There Everyone! :grouphug:

It has been such a long time and I have a ton of catching up to do!
A special hello to all my old friends :encore: and a hey how do you do to my new friends :cheer:!

I am still on the Best Life Plan but have been coasting for the last month as I had an accident and injured (tore the muscles & ligaments) my right arm and then messed up my left hip & lower back. So I am couch bound...but I am now doing some physio/hydro therapy.

As a gift I bought an eliptical trainer thingy to use but according to the doctor it will be a few weeks before I can use the thing.

I have gained 5.5 pounds in as I have been really down and all I have been doing is eating and sleeping and not much of anything else as I hurts to sit and lay down, drive in a car or walk on stairs or just walk...

My goal is to be up and mobile and go out for Halloween :haphal: with my neices and nephew...as I am sick and tired of feeling sorry for myself. So I am going to start pushing myself...slowly...

I can only type for a while and then my arm goes numb or I'm in pain so...hopefullly I will be back on in the next few days.

Take Care Everyone! :dance::df::bubbles:

Have an Awesome Thanksgiving to all of you out there who will be celebrating! :turkey:

Goldfish
10-07-2007, 06:47 AM
Ladibug Im on WW. been on it for 2 years. I have just had alot of stress lately, so of course when Im stressed I eat, and all the wrong things. I know I need to start walking again and relieve some of that stress. I really am going to try today.
Welcome Brenda723, I can relate to alot of what your saying. let me tell you a 16 year old son that is driving and thinks he knows about anything and everything isnt a pleasure to be around either. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!
Hello Kimush glad to meet you! sorry to hear about your accident. You will be in my prayers.

Slashnl
10-07-2007, 09:03 AM
Hey all, glad to see some new faces here (and of course to seem some old friends who have been missed very badly..... Kimush!!!)
Goldfish, I just wanted to echo the welcomes you have received and also say that we all can relate to having stress and wanting to get that comfort food! Hopefully, coming to this site will help with destressing! There are some wonderful people with wonderful success stories that can really help.

As for me, I've just been so busy lately. I'm going on vacation next Friday, and work has been crazy, so I'm trying really hard to get things somewhat wrapped up by then. I don't have a backup, so it is difficult to leave it. There are others who can pick up on some of it, but there really isn't a lot of help. Too bad... I'm going.

So, we're going elk hunting for vacation like we've done for years. It is so great to get away to no phones, computer, tv, kids.... But, there is a lot of preparation that goes into it, too. So, I'm cooking like crazy this weekend.

My daughter finished up her volleyball this weekend, so that will help some with the amount of stuff we have to do. My son still has football, so that goes a little longer yet. I love the activity, but there isn't much getting done here at home. My mom is coming to stay with the kids while we are gone, so I need to get a little cleaning in. She actually is so great of a mom that she does cleaning while she's here and the kids are at school. But I don't really want to leave all of this mess for her!!

Well, better go. Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Clydegirl
10-07-2007, 01:01 PM
:wave: Kimush welcome back. :getwell: Hope you're feeling better soon.

Diane those Rockies are playing well. I don't think I've ever eaten elk. How does it taste?

Goldfish I hear you about the stress. I need to find a way to handle it better.

Slashnl
10-08-2007, 08:03 AM
Clydegirl, elk is fantastic. It is a close match to beef, but extremely lean. You have to really be careful as to how you process it in when you are in the field and when you are cutting it up and packaging it. We take extra care to get all of the bones and fat out because that is what makes it taste "gamey". My kids love it. The good thing is that with hunting and the hunting management they have in Colorado, the elk herds are extremely healthy and abundant. Without hunting... and the money that comes from hunting... the herds get out of control and that's when they get sick. There's my plug for hunting!

Anyway, for me it is more about the time that I have to get away. It's so beautiful out there and so peaceful.

W8bouncer
10-08-2007, 09:04 AM
WOW, This is the first step I guess. This is scary for me.
I am going to be 44 in Nov. I just sent my oldest away to college in Aug. and I have a soon to be 15 yr old daughter who just started high school. Also I have a 9 year old in 3rd grade. Two BIG dawgs, two cats and a wonderful husband who just don't understand why I can't lose weight. Twice in the past year/year and a half I have lost 30lbs and I felt sooooo good! Why can't I keep it off?? It takes forever to lose it and only weeks to put it back on? As soon as people start telling me that I look good, something tells me that I can eat whatever I want. My biggest problem is......??? I'm not really sure, I'm not even sure being on here is what I need? I know what I need to do, cook better and eat less portions, eat healthy snacks, drink water and excercise. Which I feel that I could do if lived by myself. Why can't I do it everyday...anyway???? My two oldest daughters are very skinny, my youngest needs to lose weight with me, my husband bounces around with his weight but that depends on which week he decides to try and quit smoking. Men seem to be able to lose weight so quickly, and he don't understand why I can't. I don't like myself this way, as a matter of fact I think it is disgusting, but it doesn't keep me from eating when nobody is around. I'm a closet eater, ( i don't literally eat in the closet, I'm not that bad yet) but I can stick something in my mouth when no one is around and feel quilty afterwards, why can't I just say NO??? ...........need help

Slashnl
10-08-2007, 02:32 PM
Hi Dina, and welcome! I think you will find a lot of help here in the forum. Just by reading what you posted, I can really relate to having a husband who just doesn't understand why weight loss is so hard. It doesn't mean he doesn't love me, but he just doesn't get it. That's what I have found here... support and encouragement. I was really doing well at first... lost it over the summer and gained some... but now I'm back at it. We all go through ups and downs in this, so you are definitely not alone. I've found that with the 40-something group, we all really understand the complexities, stress, and everything else that comes with this age! Keep posting, keep reading and I think you'll get some help.

I think the best bit of advice is to not beat yourself up for past mistakes. Take it one day at a time and move forward. If you feel yourself failing, come to the website and start reading/posting. There is a lot of great stuff here that can really help!

Prissiroo
10-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Hi everyone - I posted an intro on the main thread - so I won't repeat here - but just wanted to say hey and glad to be here!

Kristina

shayla
10-08-2007, 05:32 PM
I posted on the introduction thread. I am 43. I just wanted to stop by and say hello. I am once again starting to try and lose weight. I hope to make friends and find helpful information and support here. I have previously lost weight on the Suzanne Somers diet. But I gained several pounds back lately because it hasn't been convenient for me to keep things prepared ahead of time.:( I don't even know where to start, but I know that I need to get this weight off because I feel tired and sluggish.

W8bouncer
10-08-2007, 07:48 PM
Thanks, Slashnl, Today was my first step, I think I'll be back. I definitely need support and encouragement. It's hard......:?:

Hi Dina, and welcome! I think you will find a lot of help here in the forum. Just by reading what you posted, I can really relate to having a husband who just doesn't understand why weight loss is so hard. It doesn't mean he doesn't love me, but he just doesn't get it. That's what I have found here... support and encouragement. I was really doing well at first... lost it over the summer and gained some... but now I'm back at it. We all go through ups and downs in this, so you are definitely not alone. I've found that with the 40-something group, we all really understand the complexities, stress, and everything else that comes with this age! Keep posting, keep reading and I think you'll get some help.

I think the best bit of advice is to not beat yourself up for past mistakes. Take it one day at a time and move forward. If you feel yourself failing, come to the website and start reading/posting. There is a lot of great stuff here that can really help!

Prissiroo
10-09-2007, 08:09 AM
Morning ladies - (are there men here??) If so - morning to you too! I'm getting ready for work. Have my menu planned out for the day complete with how many points it will take - I went and bought more fruit last night - and am set to go. I'm using WW, and I love the plan - BUT - I'm on day 6 and I haven't lost one lb! Kinda disappointed about that - but I refuse to give up 6 days in. Anyway - I could sit here all day and chat and read boards, but work does call.

Everyone have a great day -

Kristina

Goldfish
10-09-2007, 11:11 AM
welcome W8bouncer and Shayla,
Im new to here also. and I know how you both feel. Like Diane said we have to take one day at a time and dont beat yourself up about it. I know its easier said than done, but you have too. Once you fall of track, just get back into it. Drinking all your water that is required is a big help too. If you think your hungry and your really not get a big glass of water, or get some celery or other vegetables out and munch on them. hope I was some help!

shayla
10-09-2007, 01:08 PM
Goldfish, Thanks for the welcome and the advice.:)

Vetmom
10-10-2007, 09:06 AM
Hi - I'm back to 3FC. I'm a LAWL, WW dropout. Have lost weight on both plans, but theweight didn't stay off. My whole family, including my kids, is skinny. I didn't have weight problems until after my second child. I haven't been able to lose the weight I gained with him, and he is now 9. Right now I am exercising ALOT - my husband and I are running a half marathon in December for St. Judes - and I am trying to be good, but I use food as a reward. HELP! Running 4-5 miles 3-4 times a week with no weight loss is frustrating, and painful. My joints are letting me know about it. Any advice would be so appreciated.

W8bouncer
10-10-2007, 09:20 AM
Thanks Goldfish, how long has it taken you to lose your weight so far? Do you have a family you have to cook for and lunches to send to school?

welcome W8bouncer and Shayla,
Im new to here also. and I know how you both feel. Like Diane said we have to take one day at a time and dont beat yourself up about it. I know its easier said than done, but you have too. Once you fall of track, just get back into it. Drinking all your water that is required is a big help too. If you think your hungry and your really not get a big glass of water, or get some celery or other vegetables out and munch on them. hope I was some help!

Janny O
10-10-2007, 10:14 AM
I'm finally able to post again at work-they want us to be all healthy, but they won't let us come onto this website-what's up with that! Glad to see all of the new faces.
Hey Diane,
Just got back from Philly and I actually LOST weight! You're NOT supposed to go on vacation and LOOSE weight! All of the in-laws were stunned when they saw me! hehehehe.
Anyway-I will try and post at home and see if I can post while at work.
Good luck to everyone!!!!

Slashnl
10-10-2007, 11:15 AM
Welcome back Jan! Good to "see" you again.

Welcome to Vetmom, love the horse photo. I have horses, too. They are just pleasure riding horses (and they pack out elk when we get one!). Also, welcome Shayla.

Dina, I understand what you're saying. I often think that if I didn't have to cook for the family, I could really scale down what I'm eating. It does add an extra challenge.

Time for a change
10-10-2007, 09:45 PM
:wave: Hi, I'm new here & not quite sure what I'm doing yet.
Anyway I'm a 48 year old female, I've lost 40 pounds so far & would like to lose about 60 to 70 more. I'm not on a "diet". It's more of a lifestyle change. I decided to make a change when the doctor told me that my triglycerides were at 226 & that if I didn't bring them down below 100 that I would in probably develop diabetes :eek:. So I lowered my fat intake which of course resulted in a lower calorie intake & a suprisingly easy weight loss. My triglycerides are now 93 & I'm no longer in danger of becoming diabetic :carrot: So now I've got all this motivation & would love to get back into my size 9's but I've hit a plateau:eek: and haven't been able to lose a single pound in the last 2 weeks. Anybody have any ideas how I can jumpstart my metabolisim:?:

Janny O
10-11-2007, 09:14 AM
Hiya Time!
Welcome and congrats on the 40lbs.!!!! Feels good huh! WTG on the diabetes outcome. The way I jumpstart my day is start out with protein and B12 supplements. I found that I am less hungry during the day, less cravings, etc. Maybe you can try that-also, if I am in a slump-I drop my calorie intake drastically for 1 day. This works for me.
Good luck and keep pluggin'

Goldfish
10-11-2007, 09:28 AM
W8bouner, It took me 2 years to loose that weight. Man that is a long time! but the good thing is keeping it off because I never want to go bak to that again. Yes I have a family 2 children and a husband that I have to cook for, they have adjusted to the way I cook now. At first they gave me a hard time but now they are use to it. I dont even think it bothers them any more. we eat alot of things made with turkey, chicken, and fish. try to stay away from the beef. If I do make anything that is made with beef, I usually eat a WW diner. As for lunches they buy there lunch at school and have learned to pick the healthy options. at least that is what they tell me anyway, LOL I have learned to cook anything and everything made lean and without the fat. There is so much good tasting things out there now. I made spaghetti last nite with ground turkey, and the healthy harvest noodles and spaghetti sauce. They love it! I guess I have learned to be creative! hope this helps you! If you need any pointers just ask me!
my name is Faith

Goldfish
10-11-2007, 09:38 AM
welcome timeforachange.
and congrat. on the weight loss and lower those sugar levels.. *patting you on the back* I do the same thing as Janny O about dropping my calorie intake for a day. It does help, didnt try the vitamin though. might have to. when I do drop my intake I eat fruit and vegetables all day.
Faith

Clydegirl
10-11-2007, 02:26 PM
Hello to the new girls :wave:

I'm glad to say our temperature has finally gone down and it feels like Autumn here. I love it.

I have to make a birthday cake for my youngest who turned 11 today. She was a very happy camper going off to school this morning. It's also our wedding anniversary 22 years ago. Where did the time go? So there will be some eating going on in this house.

Time for a change congrats on the triglycerides that's a huge drop. What are you doing for exercise? Maybe change it up a bit. Also make sure you are eating enough calories each day.

Good to see so many new people posting.

Prissiroo
10-11-2007, 04:48 PM
Hi everyone! I'm on day 2 of being really sick - It's almost 4 and I still have about 20 points to go..lol..I'll try and get some soup down tonight. I'm still enjoying everything - it's great to eat real food and not worry about fad stuff anymore.

Ok - I'm gonna get some more rest - I'll be a better poster when I feel better!

k

Time for a change
10-11-2007, 04:49 PM
I take B complex with C & Folic acid as recommended by my Doctor, I also take Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc for RLS. The RLS went away after years of suffering from it so I must have been deficient in something
As for excercise, I admit I don't get a lot! I have a sit down job & when I get home I babysit my 1 1/2 year old granddaughter. By the time her mother gets home I'm exhausted. I try to get about a half hour of excercise in a day but don't alway accomplish that. Unless you count chasing the baby & dancing to the "Wiggles" DVD excercise. I did just bring my Nordic Track in from the shed though, I put it in front of the TV & plan on using it while I watch CSI & Law & Order, those are the only 2 shows I never miss!

Goldfish
10-12-2007, 11:00 AM
I love CSI and Law & order, those are my favorite shows every nite!

Time for a change
10-13-2007, 10:26 PM
and thought I should share. I haven't really had a good look at it yet, but what I did see looked great. I added it to my bookmarks & will try and burn some DVD's from it sometime this week!
http://www.exercisetv.tv

Clydegirl
10-15-2007, 01:57 PM
How is everyone doing?

I ate too much over the weekend and really felt it yesterday. I decided I need to stop over indulging and take better care of myself.

I feel much better, less stress as my hubbie started a new job today. I was worried as he retired from the military end of July and it took him a while to find a job. It's a big relief.

dustdiva
10-16-2007, 07:08 AM
Weekends are tough for me, too, Clydegirl. I went to Panera Bread with my daughter, and ate a decent meal (black bean soup & 1/2 grilled salmon salad), but then promised my daughter I'd get her one of their Pink Ribbon Bagels for her breakfast. Of course I bought one for myself, too. Then argued with myself all Sunday night over which I wanted more, the bagel or the scale numbers to show a loss Monday a.m.

Luckily the bagel lost, and I was happy to see a nice loss on the scale Monday morning!

Then I ate the bagel as a bedtime snack last night :-(

smilely771
10-18-2007, 11:16 AM
Hi everyone,:wave:
I,m 45 year old mom of 3, children 27,22,&13 Just got married for a second time in Aug .:love: I re-joined ww last Tues. and am so glad I found this site, :cp: I have been reading for the past week and decided to start posting. I look forward to meeting new friends and trying to offer support if I'm able. I'm still trying to figure out the site ,so please be patient with me if I mess up.:?:
I also have a couple of questions, does anyone know what the wendie plan is? I read it on one of the turtle pages.
Also I have a big problem with Tim Hortons coffee, :coffee2:I'm addicted to it and at 6pts ,(I like my cream and sugar) I really need to find a replacement ,I have only 1 in the morning now for the past 10 days thats down from 2,3 and sometimes maybe even 4 a day. I know it sounds awful, but somehow I got into this habit and need to get out...HELP.... I have tried it with milk and sweetener and it's just not the same I really have to just replace it with something else, does anyone have a suggestion please?
Hope you all have a super day :hug:

Clydegirl
10-18-2007, 01:20 PM
Welcome Smiley.

Here is a link to the wendie plan. Scroll down to post 10 by Steelslady it's on her blog.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113398&highlight=wendie+plan

Slashnl
10-18-2007, 02:29 PM
Hey all, I'm back in town after a nice vacation in the mountains. It was so relaxing in a mental way, but really demanding in a physical way. The scale looked good today, but I'm waiting until Monday's official weigh-in because I think I might be a bit dehydrated right now. So, I'll hope for the best!

I hope everyone is having a good week! I have a lot of catching up to do, so hopefully I can post more later. I just got through the mountain of mail/newspapers and I'm working on laundry now!!

smilely771
10-18-2007, 02:42 PM
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Clydegirl
10-18-2007, 03:25 PM
Hi Diane welcome back.

Did you catch any elk?

Slashnl
10-19-2007, 05:14 PM
Nope, did not see any elk that we could shoot. There are regulations on what you can shoot and what you can't. We're going deer hunting this weekend, but then I'm coming home Sunday. I have to go back to work. My husband will stay up in the mountains until Tuesday, unless he gets something sooner!

Talk to you all more next week!

Clydegirl
10-24-2007, 03:33 PM
How is everyone doing?

It's quiet in here.

Diane Go Rockies. Will you get to any games?

I did a huge cleaning out of my closet this morning and got rid of a bunch of clothes. All the smalll stuff that I was keeping for a rainy day is gone. I've had a lot of it for years.

I'm walking now that the weather has cooled down and feel so much better about myself.

All you people MIA pop in and let us know how you're doing.