Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #211  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning GG's,

Off to work in a min ~ one day down, three to go.

Bumped into the yelling doctor yesterday with my rolling chair (in the nurses station) hope he didn't think I was avenging his deed. I've run into the best of them ~ didn't single him out. (Remember the time I turned and rammed that one doctor with a chart?)

I feel good this morning. Wish I knew if there was something I did that helped me feel good. I would do it all over again. Maybe it was somehow sort of a message from God to pray more and worry less and try to have a positive attitude. Sometimes being a nurse doesn't help ~ you know too much and imagine all kinds of diseases and problems that the aches and pains and "vague feelings" might be.

Yippee ~ the sun is shining Ok, I'd better quit fooling around and hit the road. Hope you all have a good day.

Take care

Last edited by glynne; 07-17-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #212  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Default Dehydrators

My step son has one, I don't know what kind, but he makes deer jerky with his. Slices it thin, adds some kind of spices. It's good. I bought one at a flea market and was going to make jerky but never got directions from him. He uses meat he has anyway from the deer. I would have to buy roast or something to do it and it might just be cheaper to buy the jerky.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #213  

Height: 5'3"

It's a beautiful day! I hope you are all surviving the heat if your're in one of those really hot cllimates. Dh went to his retirement brunch but I am feeling better so want to do some housework. The grandchildren are coming over this afternoon and I don't want them to see grandma's house this dirty, so want to at least mop the kitchen floor and vacuum. Plus I have at least a couple loads of laundry to do. I won a little plasma car that is coming to day...we are excited to show it to them! Just got word that another package is coming today and I can't remember what it is...hoping for a surprise win but more likely it's something I've already won or ordered and I just can't remember it. Funny thing happened recently regarding my memory. I ordered a dress for my "adopted" gd several days (maybe 2 weeks?) ago and Sat was her birthday and she had not gotten it. So I checked with the company I thought I ordered it from...Zulilly..and there was no order placed recently. So thought I'd just thought I ordered it, got distracted perhaps in the ordering process or something. Well yesterday I see a charge on one of our CC for an order from Totsy! I checked and sure enough there's the dress I thought I ordered! So she will get it. Sure glad I didn't go out and buy something else..which was what I had planned to do. In the process of conversing with her mom though I found out she only wears a 6x and I ordered a med (8-10) so she will have to grow into it. I'm sure she got plenty for her birthday so it's ok. Now if I'd put that order immediately into my budget when I made it, this confusion would never have happened. I usually do that but occaisonally I forget.

Glynne - Know what you mean about how being a nurse doesn't help. Sometimes I wish I hadn't seen some of the things I've seen. And yet it was also a wonderful experience in some ways and I don't regret the knowledge except for sometimes you think of all the worst possibilities for every little thing.

Cajun - Congrats on the pound loss! Every pound lost is good! At least your're moving by pounds...I'm moving by tenths of pounds... but as long as it keeps going in the right direction....

Well, need to hurry and get something done around here...I know this morning will go fast.

Last edited by maryea; 07-17-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #214  
Empress/Queen

Good morrow dear Golden Persons from, well, another Golden Person! I so enjoy reading all your posties. Had to smile about the rolling cart meeting the grouchy doctor. Enjoyed the discussion of saving money at the World o' Wally, I go there, too, for a lot of things; however, I find that if I like a product they stop selling it and when you ask them why they seem to not care one way or the other lol.

Cajun: Congrats on the 1 pound loss. I am PRAYING for a one pound loss this week. That is great! Woot!

Maryea: Thanks for kind words re the 130s. Personally, I don't think age matters re how one looks at a certain weight. T'is verra individual. I'm doing this little re-losing journey to help how I feel, I guess, more than how I look. Two years ago I had, over decades, lost down to 117, though, and after I had an accident and two arm surgeries and went back to my highly stressful ex-job, I started to gain (was also writing restaurant reviews but I ate all the food) and didn't even realize how much I was definitely going upward until I evaluated everything when I left that job. At 117 (I'm small boned) I had lost muscle but could pursue my love of exercise better because movement at that weight impacted my joints less. I felt and thought I looked good. But evaluating after I had the regain (which was to 150 one week when I had had enough) I realized I gained because 117 really WAS too low for me, although it might be fine for someone else. So I lost some but COULD NOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME get back to my most comfortable weight, which was in the 130s. I am very happy here in this weight decade and had stayed here originally for almost a decade when I originally lost. I am happy with the 140s too but want that extra edge off for the joints and to stay active. I WILL NOT REGAIN ANY WEIGHT BEYOND THAT POINT.

That is more than you wanted to know about why I formulated, with the doc, the 125 goal.

I think it is very individual and whatever weight we are at we ought to like because we are there for reasons of our own and a weight level serves us for different reasons.

Well, anyway, woot!

See you guys! I AM going to have coconut ice cream today and have to go to the store!
Old 07-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #215  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Hello
Just thought I'd share. This morning I had just about decided to take a taste of that triple chocolate cake my sister made. It was obviously still bothering me. I went into the kitchen to get a taste and someone ate it last night after I went to bed. But I wasn't disappointed. Actually I smiled. I was saved from that cake making a home on my hips. I had no desire to eat those things the first 4 months of this diet but the last month has been **** but only if it's in my house. I won't go out and buy or eat it. Why do you think I'm having so much trouble?
Hugs
Cajun
Old 07-17-2012, 10:45 PM   #216  
Want to feel better

Good evening GG’s,.

It was a good day at work. Got out on time ~ . I actually felt good today ~ a lot of days I don't feel so good, I sort of wanted to say thank you to God that I felt good and for getting out of work on time by doing a little chunk of time on the treadmill. Maybe I’m silly, but I sort of felt like that is why I got out on time ~ because he wanted to help me get back on track. Also, because I was sort of feeling like God is giving me yet another chance to improve my health ~ I passed up that tray of cookies that was delivered to our break room today.

Had a nice little surprise visit this evening by Sara, Maddie and Corbin. Gave Corbin the left over brownies from when Maddie and I baked the other day ~ goodbye temptation. It has been an awesome day

Two days down and two more to go.

Time for bed now. Hope you all rest well.

Take care
Old 07-18-2012, 01:15 AM   #217  

S/C/G: 279/223/132

Height: 5'1"

I'll catch up on personals later-If my comp will let me. I am having so many router problems I gave up and pluged laptop directly into service. I have to sit on hard uncomfortable chair in kitchen where it is set up. I just finnished My 1st meditation and wanted to blog about it, but couldn't sign in, then I couldn,t sign into my email ARGH!!! according to this page I am signed in. The kitchen is not where I want to hang out when feeling frustrated. took 2 days to be able to technically get my guided meditations. :ast night I refused to miss the first day of challenge so I found some old CD guided meditations by ashanti and did one of them. So peaceful and so was Deepak Chopra's to night. Alright my hip is starting to hurt-I'll have DS drag a comfortable chair up to this desk for me in the morning-off to bed, sweet dreams all.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:03 AM   #218  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Just a quick hello and good-bye. We're gone again for another week. I may not have easy access to a computer so I'll say so long for a while but I'll be back.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:23 AM   #219  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Cajun - I think we all have our problems with food that tempts us in our homes. Sometimes I think to myself that I will eat all the bad foods so I can start fresh tomorrow. I am getting better at this. I have actually put some down the garbage disposal. Or I package it up and give it to my step-daughter. They like my leftovers. LOL

Gayle - You are doing good! I agree with you that God allowed you to get out of work on time. It made you feel good, and when you feel good you do better on your eating and exercising.

Am2 - Congratulations! The weight that I like the best for me is 130, but I have to really fight like crazy to maintain it. My body just wants to be fat. I was 30 years old the last time I weighed 130. I remember when I weighed 160, I was trying to get back to 130. Now I would be pleased as punch to be 160! I have never been given a goal by my doctor, but he did comment the last time I was there that I had lost weight.

Rie - I too am amazed that you hook up and drive that camper around. I'm lucky I can drive my car to the store, let along pulling something behind it! I have always been a city girl. Taught that certain things are men's jobs and never to attempt them, and DH reinforces that belief. Your dad is probably very proud of you, and so am I!
Old 07-18-2012, 08:29 AM   #220  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Hi Everyone,

I am still having my ice cream problem. About 80% of my daily calories are coming from ice cream cones. I am embarassed and concerned, but when the "chew" rears her ugly head, I am "driven" to eat multiple ice cream cones. Given the fact that I am diabetic, this is a REAL problem.

I am going to try a week of sugar-busters beginning tomorrow.

Lynn
Old 07-18-2012, 08:32 AM   #221  
Want to feel better

Lynn ~ glad you checked in ~ sorry for your ice cream struggles
Old 07-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #222  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Happy Hump day, we're going into town for some candy sweet corn, drop some cukes and zucchini off at DD's and pick up some ingredients for gluten free bread. DD can't eat wheat...any of you have a tried and true recipe for it? I googled a bunch last night but the best recipes are from friends like you.

Here is the headstone of Annie J. Larsen in the Logan City Cemetery, Logan, Utah...I wonder if she died knowing that she had won the 'Coolest Headstone' contest?

Here are his five rules for a happy life as she indicated on his headstone:

FIVE RULES FOR WOMEN TO FOLLOW FOR A HAPPY LIFE:

1. It's important to have a man who helps at home, cooks from time to time, cleans up, and has a good paying job.

2. It's important to have a man who can make you
laugh.

3. It's important to have a man who you can trust,
and doesn't lie to you.

4. It's important to have a man who is good at taking you out to eat in fancy restaurants and likes to be with you.

5. It's very, very important that these four men do not know each other or you could end up dead like me.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 07-18-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #223  

Good Morning GG's

I woke up to the sound of thunder this morning, around 6:30. I was so sure it was going to rain, but it's now 9:30 and still no rain. We need it so badly, like so many other parts of the country. Seems like it's either too much or too little. I have to work this evening, only 4 hours, so not too bad. After doing 12 for so long, 4 seems to fly. I have to share something that DGD did, that I thought was so funny. We went to the local library and they are havign summer contests. they had taped different color/size stars in a very large aquarium, hanging down on strings that were taped to the top. You had to guess how many stars there were. So, DGD was counting them and wrote her number down. On the way out I asked her how many stars she counted. She said "the stars were too hard to count, so I counted the number of pieces of tape on the top of the aquarium". I almost choked!

Karen3, My brother has a dehiderator and uses it mostly for deer jerky. He raises a few beef but likes the deer jerkey better. I think he trades the beef for the deer meat, so it works out. I also think he makes dried apples for dried apple pies. Which are really wonderful, but not something I would recommend, since they are deep fried. But, oh so good, and just not the same without the dried apples.

Amara, You will know the weight you want to be when you get there. reseting our goals along the way is much easier than trying to achieve a goal that is not achieveable, or maintainable. I eat for pleasure and for health. I think you can do both, but all in all, health is such an important issue. I don't think looks matter too much if you are not healthy.

Cajun, See, you were not ment to eat that cake. You will be some time, later, just not right now. That is what I tell myself all the time. It's not that I CAN'T have it, it's just that I don't choose to, right now.

Gayle, Congrats on passing up those cookies. And really, those cookies are not that great. You don't miss anything, and actually saved a lot of calories. And of course God was looking out for you! He always does. We don't always listen, or like what he's telling us, but he's always there. And I know you enjoyed your time with your family. that always makes my day too.

Carol Sue, LOL! I've said that a few times. "When this food is gone, then I'll do better". But then I go out and rebuy it. Doesn't work like that. Now I try to make sure it doesn't come into the house.

Lynn, That pesky ice cream! Always tempting us. I always keep some in the house, but I get the lower calorie kind and portion it out in a measuring cup. I know this is one thing I can't just eye ball. My eyes get way too big. But it seems that if I know it's there and I can have 1/2 cup every day, I do ok with it. Are you buying it at an ice cream shop? I hope the sugar busters work well for you.

By Isabella, have a good trip.

Ginger, good girl! You didn't let a little problem keep you from reaching one of your goals.

Bobbi, YUM! Corn is in there? Our local markets aren't bringing it in yet, but the stuff at the store isn't even bad. LOVE, LOVE!

Everyone, Have a good day!

Finally, I just heard rain! Thank you God.

Freda

Last edited by the slim me; 07-18-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:59 PM   #224  

We had a very nice day with the gc yesterday. The little plasma car I won came and they enjoyed it, esp the younger one. It didn't take her long to figure out how to make it go. We had a BBQ last night and our dd was running late so we went ahead and ate and then our dd ate when she arrived. Then we sat on the glider, sipped tea and iced coffee and watched the kiddos and talked; a very pleasant evening. The iced coffee was some I won...actually won a coupon for free 1/2 gallon..it is International Delight. I used to not like iced coffee or any coffee, but I guess drinking the mochas in recent years has changed me as I liked this. I got it thinking I'd make mochas with it but turns out I like it just the way it is.

Freda - Loved the gd story. I wish I had your discipline with the ice cream. I tell myself I will one day. So far I've done ok with some chips I bought for our BBQ. Probably because they weren't my favorite. I also bought potato salad, one of my favorite things...but I only bought a little as I knew the kiddos wouldn't eat it and it was almost all gone last night. I'm the same way too about thinking when this food is gone, it won't be around to tempt me any more. And you're right it doesn't work that way, I'm at least 1/2 way there in knowing that...just takes me so darn long to learn these things!!

Lynn - Ice cream is a real temptation to me too. Can you eat the lower cal/NSA kind and gradually cut back a little each day? now and then I buy the 40 cal fudgsicles (6 packs)...figuring even if I eat them all I don't get a huge amount of calories although I do get too many carbs if I eat too many at one time. But this is still one of those, when they're gone, they wont' be there to tempt me things I still rationalize with so still not a good thing for me to have around, just better than some things I guess. My mochas are also a temptation to me as they are a lot like ice cream....cold, sweet, creamy..at least I have to make them and that gives me a little time to stop and think how many I've had.

Slmn11 - Glad your doctor noticed your weightloss...that always makes me feel good.

Isabella - You do travel a lot, don't you? Is this pleasure or business? Have a good time and be safe.

Ginger - Sorry for the router problems...I hate computer problems of any kind!

Glynn - So glad you had a good day and GFY for exercising and passing up the cookies! I figure everything we do toward weightloss and health is a step in the right direction. I tell myself that even if I never reach my weight goal I will be better off than if I hadn't tried. We nurses esp have seen where neglect of health can lead you...

Cajun - Had to laugh about the cake!! Just goes to show that cake was not for you...and you are better off without it! That's the way I look at it now...can you believe that once I actually would have grieved that I didn't get a slice? And to be quite honest, there's a part of me that still is afraid of feeling that grief/regret/feeling of deprivation but not nearly so much now. Sometimes I think it comes from growing up poor and being poor in our early years of marriage. I wanted things and couldn't afford them and if I had them I felt I should eat every bite because it might be a long time before I had them again, if ever. I didn't even grow up during the depression, but still I felt that way. And that feeling lingered long past the time when there was some reason to feel that way...and even now it creeps up a bit now and then even though it is definitely not logical. It is one of my old false belief systems I guess. That's me. I don't know why you are having so much trouble now...perhaps simply because you've been so good for 4 months? You've done so well, and you can continue, just keep it one day at a time..you'll make it to goal.

Amara - Several years back I got down to 145 and my son said I looked younger unless he looked at my neck!! LOL Ok, he was right, my neck did look saggy and it still does at this weight ...that's why I am not sure 130 is in the cards for me, I might be like that all over! But I think I'd feel great! Actually it was at 120 that I had the first person tell me I was gaining too much weight. It showed in my upper arms mostly. I can see it in pictures. Then no one mentioned it (probably out of politeness) until I got to 140 and a good friend gently suggested I should perhaps go on a diet. I laughed and said, I just buy a larger size!! Duh, now I wish I'd listened. I am like two people...heavy on top, and slender on the bottom (from hips down), so I can't carry too much weight without it really showing.

Oh well, life goes on...have a good day Goldies..

Last edited by maryea; 07-18-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #225  

100 Days of Weight Loss by Linda Spangle
She talks about the hunger scale but with her it's only 3 points
0 - neutral, not hungry, not full
-1 a little hungry
-2 very hungry
-3 starved, way too hungry

She advises you to catch hungry right away and eat within 20-30 min. Plan ahead so you can do this if necessary.

If I'm So Smart, Why Can't I Lose Weight? by Brooke Castillo (paraphrased somewhat)
Self-Care Tool #5
Be a Compassionate Observer

She talks here about the exploring of self and that we need to be a compassionate observer as we do it. Observe yourself with love and not judgement. You will make mistakes. You will blow it and do things that are just plain awful. Don't beat yourself up, this is a good time to try and understand what is going on with you. Start questioning why you do things, give yourself the benefit of the doubt and realize you have a very good reason for doing it. You can DISLIKE something you've done and still like yourself.

This is a very powerful tool when feelings seem too overwhelming. Sometimes we can't seem to find the feeling or relax enough to let it come up. If we allow ourselves to become the compassionate observer we can be removed enough to see what might be really going on. She says she sees herself as being out of body and looking down on herself and watching. In this way she can understand why she wants to overeat or be frustrated. She is able to get clarity faster on what she is feeling and why. She can locate the belief system and notice it without actually believing it, and from there she can decide to change it.

From that perspective things are fascinating or interesting and without judgement. It's just what it is and you are just compassionately noticing what it is. It's a quiet sense of knowing that reality is exactly what reality is supposed to be. It feels free and light and without argument or negativity.

You accept the reality and work with it instead of against it. You acknowledge what you believe to be true and from there you can change it.
When you eat a cookie or don't exercise, look at the situation this way. What is going on here? Take away the judgement and thinking you are bad and understand that you ate it due to some negative belief. From here you can turn that belief around. There is a reason for all things and it doesn't require judgement but compassion and with that compassion, change can be gentle and permanent.

When I am compassionately observing myself, I look at every action I take and say "Of course I did that," it helps everything make sense.

ME - This makes me think of something I remember from nurses training. My psychology instructor said we should always remember that, "everyone does the only thing they know how to do in any given situation." Doesn't mean it's the right thing, or that now or late on they wouldn't do something different , but it's the only thing they could do at the time with what they had to work with. I've always tried to remember that. In my experience I think it is sometimes harder to apply it to ourselves but we need to in order to accept and forgive ourselves so we can move on.

Last edited by maryea; 07-18-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Closed Thread