Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #151  

Height: 5'3"

I thought this was so good, I should share it too. Here is an example she gives when you want to eat and you know you are are not really hungry and shouldn't eat. Wish I'd read this a few minutes ago. I did try the exercise as she taught early but realize now I did not take it far enough and I did eat. Remember your feeling (as mine was) may be different so your answers may be different.

Example:
1. Urge to eat.
2. Remind myself I don't want to eat now because I am not hungry.
3. What am I feeling? Anxiety
4. Feel the anxiety and let it be in my body
5. What's under the anxiety? Anger
6. Why? Because I am mad I can't have it.
7. Why? Because I never get what I want,
8. Why? Because I am unlucky and fat.
9. Take all three of these belief systems and turn them around:
I can have it, I just choose not to.
I can have anything I truly want that adds value to my life.
I create my own luck.
I don't ever have to react to my feelings. I can just sit and feel them.
10. Don't eat...prove new belief right. Think about what it is I truly want for myself right now.
11. I feel free and in control. I feel empowered.
12. Urge disapated.
13. Repeat as needed.

When you have an urge to eat when you're not hungry, it's time to get to know yourself.

From If I'm So Smart, Why Can't I Lose Weight? by Brooke Castillo
Old 07-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #152  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Evening all....Been busy doing retired folks busy work. Just not enough hours in my day and around 12m I'm ready to settle in and read all night. Had to laugh at a bougainvilla hedge....OMG have said many times everything down here tries to eat you and Bougainville which is beautiful but has hugh cat claws and it silently leaps out and gabs me....Someone planted one next to garage door/driveway and nothing including severe winter killing frost chopping with an axe or poison can get rid of it. When it doesn't scratch me it gets my car door.

Our garden is done and the sun even blistered the green peppers. Another poss storm like Debbie is forming south of us and will have to watch the weatherfools again.

I am doing okay with keep up my water intake, but vegies tend to slid by. Need to make a pot of vegiesoup/stew. Lots of beans and stuff. esaiest way for me to get my daily portions. DD called with recipe for yellow squash. Wee bit of butter or oleo in fry pan with sliced squash and cook until nutty brown. Can add onion but cook long time......I'll let you know tomorrow.

I'll be back tomorrow with personals.....k3
Old 07-11-2012, 11:05 PM   #153  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG’s,

Way to go Donna on installing the hard drive on your DVR by yourself ~ I am in awe.

Dee ~ when you describe your DH and being a humanoid ~ I had to laugh ~ that sort of describes mine. He says he doesn’t like when people say he doesn’t care, that he has feelings too, but you sure couldn’t tell it sometimes. He will be in the same place with our son and will not even speak to him. Grrrrrr ~ Rie’s finger exercise isn’t nearly harsh enough for that kind of

Cajun ~ I can identify with that neck pain/sleeping thing. I use a c-pap, and I can only hold my head/neck in a few certain positions or the mask will leak air and squeal and flutter and wake me up. I think I actually even kind of hold my neck in a rigid position subconsciously in my sleep.

Isabella, Cajun and Donna ~ the thing is with those yelling doctors ~ my brain just freezes up and I can’t say anything. I am so uncomfortable that the thoughts of saying anything else and creating the opportunity for more exchange ~ is horrifying. I just want to escape as quickly as possible and end the horror. It is perhaps best that I can not speak, because I would probably let loose with a whole slew of awful stuff and get myself into a great big bunch of trouble. I can think of all kinds of things I would have liked to say after the fact, but am too stunned to think of anything at the moment. I don’t know if I would ever be brave enough to say the stuff I think of afterwards.

I filled out the complaint form about dr and turned it in. I almost chickened out, but the boss said ~ well, do you want that kind of behavior to continue ~ if so, don’t fill it out. If you want the behavior to stop ~ fill it out. I decided to do it and maybe it would help me and others as well to not have to endure stuff like that. We will see what happens. There is a no retaliation policy ~ I hope I don’t have to find out if it works or not. Part of what makes me growl about the situation is that the pretty cute petite little social worker sits in that dictating room also. They are all nice and cheerful with her there. I don’t hold anything against her ~ she is a nice person ~ in fact I am glad she is there, because they talk to her and I don’t have to interact with them. I bet dr wouldn’t have yelled that day if she had been sitting there. He probably wouldn’t want to show his side in front of her. It just feels like if you are not little, cute or pretty, it is ok for them to treat you like poo.

Mary ~ hope your neck and back feel better. Pain is not fun. That is a nice picture of you Mary

Bobbi ~ what kind of bread maker did you get? A few years back when DH lost his job ~ we were trying to be as frugal as possible and got a bread maker and made bread just about every day. We had a hitachi and loved it. It worked really well and made a nice loaf of bread. Then the kids got a hold of it and tried to make pizza dough in it ~ I don’t know what they did to it, but it didn’t work after that. We got another one (different kind), but it just wasn’t the same. My favorite thing to do with that bread was to take a slice of it and put tomato sauce on it ~ sprinkle with some italian seasoning and shredded mozarella cheese and put it in the toaster oven and make sort of pizza’s out of it. It was a great snack for the kids for after school.

Freda ~ glad your test went well and is over with.

Val ~ hope your BBQ went well.

I’m sorry ~ I know I haven’t gotten to everyone. I have run out of time for tonight ~ that alarm rings awful early it seems. I will try to get to the rest of you tomorrow.

Hope you all rest well and have a good day tomorrow.

Take care

Last edited by glynne; 07-12-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #154  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

I lied, I do sweat. Geeeeeeeeeeeez, we're in a drought up here. DH is watering everything daily, I did a bit of weeding the day it was 104 with heat index and I had a prickly feeling under my arms. But unlike Donna, I love the heat. Last night DH had the air on too high, he sat in a sleeveless t-shirt. I had on socks, slippers, long pj bottoms, long pj top with a t-shirt under it all and topped with my long winter chenille bath robe. After b*tching about how cold it was, he turned it off.

Glynne...good luck on your complaint, you might be getting the cold shoulder for the crabby doc. Your baby bread pizza sounds wonderful.

Cajun...we've had two bread makers in the past. The first one made excellent bread and I wore it out. The second machine didn't make good bread, the pan warped, etc. I was working so many hours at the time and didn't have time to make bread so I sold it at a rummage sale. Now that I'm retired and gone into cheap skate mode, I purchased one again. WOW, have they come down in price. I purchased this one at Walmart for $69.00, it's an Oster. A couple of days ago I made some zucchini bread in it, yummy. I know what you mean about the temptation of warm bread and the calories that go with it.
Quote:
That thing would be suicide for me.

Mary...I like your new picture.

Donna...congrats on the 4 pound loss! Dee...maybe your DH doesn't feel well after his treatments and just doesn't want to worry you.
Quote:
. It could be something he enjoys doing with his dad and other people. I don’t understand why my husband didn’t make a bigger effort at trying to set something up. The guy DH played golf with is retired and can play any day too
K3...what do you mean about your garden being done? Don't you have one year around in Florida? Remember my lemon tree, I made the mistake of taking it outside for the summer. It dropped all the baby lemons off of it but one. I have only ONE lemon. Waaaaaaaaaa.

Well girls, those I missed.............HELLO.
I'm off the make a new kind of bread today, it has cinnamon and raisins in it.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 07-12-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #155  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

quick note...No Bobbi we don't have much in the garden in the summer as the vegies literally boil on the vine. We import our tomatoes etc from Georgia then Tenn...Will replant in Oct. k3
Old 07-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #156  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Hello Goldens!

Well, I am very tired this morning and my eyes are burning. Despite my best efforts, my head is really sunburned and I think I just got too much sun. no matter, the BBQ was a smashing success and enjoyed by all. We served well over 200 people. I am working today and tonight I need to get the rest of the camper stuff ready so I can leave in the morning. My ds is running a couple errands for me this morning so that will help.

Speaking of ds, he got a letter yesterday that he passed the entrance exams and has been admitted to the local college's networking and IT support program. Maybe that doesn't sound like much but - for a guy who has been kind of derailed and stalled out in a bunch of dead end jobs, this is good. he was so tickled! You may remember that he was turned down at the last moment for another technical program in April. Yay.

Bobbi, enjoy the bread maker. Have a piece for me, ok? I think the smell of baking bread is torture.

Gayle, I am proud of you for filing the complaint. I don't have any trouble with expressing myself on the spot but sometimes my position requires me to be way too professional. So, when I am driving home, I let loose with everything that I wish or should have said. I am sure that people driving by me must think that I am a crazy woman, but you should hear me! I am SO articulate, witty, ruthless and devastatingly clever! the "you know who's of the world" don't stand a chance against me when I am alone in my car Of course, in my mind, they slink off like the snails they are Oh well, just me..... Little by little, if you start counting carbs it just becomes a fact of life. Just like you learned the WW points for some foods and didn't have to look them up, you can learn carbs. Actually, carbs is easier = starch, sugar, flour.

Donna, oh, I am SO proud of you You installed your own drive? I guess we can no longer tease you about being a technophobe. And then you lost 4 pounds? Wow. You are on a roll.

Freda, I am so glad that you are through the test and fingers crossed for your results. I am dreading that prep but I know I have to do it soon. When the summer is over.....

Karen, LOL at the plants that are indestructible and out to get you. Believe it or not, I had the same relationship with a rose bush. Supposedly they are hard to kill but no shovel, chemical or strategy killed it for years. Finally, I dumped 10 pounds of salt on the darn thing at the beginning of spring. Of course, NOTHING would grow there for a couple years....

Dee, that was a cute story. Sometimes I think men just don't understand the need to spend TIME with the kids in activities. They seem to think that just being in the same house is being present in the kids lives. I hope it gets better.

Cajun, I am a stomach sleeper. I have always slept that way. As I have gotten older, I kind of sleep on my side/stomach. Sometimes special pillows can help. Oh, and Gayle, if your CPap is that easily dislodged, it doesn't fit you right.

Isabella, glad that you found your keys. Dont worry about the slip. Stuff happens. One time I was frustrated at how heavy my purse was getting and I decided to clean it out. I had been playing a lot of quarter-ante poker with friends so it had a lot of junk and heavy quarters in the pockets. However, when it was empty, it was so heavy! I kind of smacked it down in frustration and heard "chink". I investigated more and discovered a very small tear in the lining. i opened it up and discovered $52 in quarters (plus other change between the lining and the bottom of the purse.... No wonder the darn thing was heavy! At least you found your keys. Enjoy those fresh laundry smells.

Rosey, your recipes always sound so good! I am always interested in all of you using recipe sites. When I want something, I just google, "find a recipe for______" and I use all the sites. Is there an advantage to joining them as a member?

Well, I have fiddled around long enough..... Have a great day!

Rie

Old 07-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #157  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Hello Gals. Another beautiful day here with a nice breeze going through the house. I helped DH clean the car inside and out today. He did the vacuuming and I washed. I also picked some rhubarb that should have been picked a few weeks ago but it's still good. I have a sink full of rhubarb stalks that need to be cut up and frozen for the cold, cold winter when a rhubarb pie will remind me of a kinder, warmer time. I have a couple of zucchini plants but no zucchini as of yet--all male flowers so far. Our planting season is just in it's prime and we have at least 2 more months so I live in hope of a few fresh zucchinis by September.

Gotta run and take my friend to the doctor. Catch you all later.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #158  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Hi Golden Girls-

Dinner with DS and girlfriend was very good. The lamb was the best I ever made. I think it was just a particularly good cut. It was a very large butterflied leg of lamb that I got at Costco. I marinated it overnight in lemon juice, olive oil and garlic. Took longer to cook than I had planned because it was so large. DH kept raving about it. DS loved the strawberry sauce. DS’s girlfriend and I like some of the same t.v. shows. This morning DH said it was a fun evening. It was. He can enjoy human contact when it happens! Just not enough to think about doing something mundane in order to make it happen. Though there have been some Thanksgivings and Christmases when I would find him off in the office playing computer games. He had had enough human contact for one day…

Rie - I think it’s great that your son got into that program. It is much needed knowledge for any job. Sorry about your sunburn. I heard on news show yesterday that we need to remember to protect our scalps from sun as well. Guess that means hats - not good for hairdo though.

Gayle - sounds like our Dhs are very similar. I guess it is kind of a guy thing. I can’t believe people wear fragrance in a medical situation. I rarely smell any fragrance on my friends these days. People make a lot of money selling it though so I guess somebody is wearing it. Keep us posted on your complaint.

Bobbi - it is nice of you to think that he wasn’t feeling well after his treatments but he was well enough to play 18 holes of golf - without riding on a cart. But I think you have a good point about him not being willing to admit it. I will have to keep that in mind.

I think DH doesn’t realize how enjoyable it can be interacting with us lesser mortals in ordinary ways. He often plays golf alone when he can’t find someone that can play. I think he would get so much pleasure mentoring our son in golf - and have another person willing to play at odd times. But he is the hunter. I am the gatherer. I’m the one that can think of the mundane things to do (cook) in order to lure the prey into our web. Since DH brought up the golf lessons, I thought he would arrange them. He meant for DS to take them on his own. In hindsight, I looked at it like teaching the boys to tie their shoes. I did that. DH wanted to keep buying the shoes with Velcro closures! I don’t know if my kids remember me teaching them to tie their shoes, or ride a bike without training wheels but I remember my dad teaching me both of those things. I also taught them how to drive stick shift - DH had to leave right after we got the car with manual so I taught them. The problem is - I don’t play golf! I have another bad shoulder. My husband is great about playing - not so great about teaching. Now, I don’t think my son is actually dying to play golf in particular but I know of several fire fighters that play golf on their days off. It’s good exercise and he can do it with his dad. He is also pretty athletic and has good hand - eye coordination. All that stick handling in hockey. I just think it would be a win win.

I have to run for now. Hugs to all!
Old 07-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #159  

Hello everyone! Hope you are having a good day. It's very nice out here, I'm really enjoying summer. So nice to have clear, sunny skies and no rain! I got a good sleep (drugged up) and my head was a little better upon rising but is getting worse again now. It will just take time I guess. I ordered the antibiotic for the UTI. That is 3 times in less than a year now, will be a year Sept 27 that I got the prescription. She (doctor) may want to see me again before giving me another and I'm going to call her before we leave on our trip. She told me to always take it with me when I go on a trip.

Dee - Interesting about your dh. I have to admit that the two things I didn't like to do with children were shampooing hair and tieing shoes and I'm still that way. I too like the velcro. But I did enjoy doing most everything else with them. My dh was always very good with the playing and also the care of babies/toddlers but as they got older it was harder for him to have patience. I thought that was strange as I think most men are more comfortable and enjoy their children more as they get older. But for my dh, the youngest could do no wrong but sometimes that isn't true and it wasn't always so fair. But I guess we all have our idiosyncracies.

Rie - Hope you are feeling better by now...the sun is nice but too much is not. Glad your son is helping you out. That's great that he got accepted into the program!!

Thanks for the nice comments on my picture. This was taken at my oldest gd's wedding last Aug. but I still look about the same I think. Maybe my necks a little saggier....
Old 07-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #160  

100 Days of Weight Loss by Linda Spangle (paraphrased)
Me - ok, this one really touches home....I can't tell you how many times I have eaten something I didn't really like but I kept eating it anyway...

Food sometimes doesn't taste as good as we think it will. In fact sometimes when your body needs fuel you'll be faced with mediocre food and decide to eat it anyway. But food will never magically change into your dream taste. If you're eating to appreciate flavors and a food doesn't taste as good as you'd hoped, stop eating it! Then get rid of the rest so you won't decide to try it again. If you aren't enjoying the taste but you keep eating anyway, you may be slipping into a type of emotional eating. If you don't love it ---leave it!!

If I'm So Smart, Why Can't I Lose Weight? by Brooke Castillo (paraphrased)
Make Yourself Proud by Taking Care "No one can take away your pride."

Self-Care Tool#1
Make you the number one priority of your life

You can't pour love from an empty pitcher. If you aren't healthy you won't be any good to anyone. The best legacy you can leave your children (or grandchildren) is an example of a life well-lived. What kind of a message are you sending?

Don't sacrifice healthy eating, exercise or your emotional health for the sake of anyone else..ever. If someone really needs you, they need you to be healthy and available. Put your own oxygen mask on first and then take care of others.

We've all heard this but now we need to apply this practice.

Last edited by maryea; 07-12-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #161  

S/C/G: 279/223/132

Height: 5'1"

Good Afternoon everyone!

This is a quicki-I'll be back later for individual post. I just recieved an email I want to share. It's a newsletter from "Elevated Existence" which is an online Magazine they do want to sell, but politely. I get this free monthly letter with great arcticles and even today was one on health-weightloss benifits of lemon water. But what I liked was a free link to Deepak Chopras meditation site that is starting a free 21 day meditation series to help you get in the healthy habit of meditation. Yes, at the end they want to sell you copies of the 21 day event, but beginning Monday July 16th you get them daily for free along with other stuff. So check it out. I have no tie to these people, just thought you might like to learn to meditate if you don't already. I'm doing it because meditation helped me so much in the past-including helping me stay on my food plan and I keep procrastinating starting again. I guess My angel wanted to give me a little push-help. I'm sure if you google "elevated Existence newsletter" you'll find it.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #162  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hey everyone! Gosh time just seems to fly anymore and I don't get much done! My Aunt hasn't been doing real well here the last month or so, her sciatica is bothering her and she either has a pinched nerve or a herniated disk. She has been trying therapy and a chiropactor and her regular Dr. who has now gone on vacation until the 23rd and will close his office completely on Aug. 1. So she tried another Dr. and he wasn't quite what she wanted. Her reglular Dr. said she will probably have to have surgery but this guy said she isn't "19 anymore, is a diabetic and is overweight!" So she is going to check out this other Dr. that her old Dr. recommends too. Wish I could do something for her but other than running some errands for he not much i can do. We did take her to look at an adjustable bed with massage today.... a used one and it was just YUCKY!!! And they wanted $250 for it!!!I would have been ashamed to even advertise it --- So will keep looking for her.

Today was Sissy's 8th Birthday!!! Had to get a picture

Congrats to everyone who lost weight!! I think I found it!!

Donna--WOW!!! I wouldn't never even attempt to replace the hard drive on anything!! Shoot--I'm still waiting for Tim to hook up my Wii!! Did you enjoy the Gospel special?? I wish we had it now-- don't know why it changed!

He has it hooked up in the spare bedroom but I found out I have no room in there--- so it is going to have to come out in the living room. So now it needs to be disconnected and reconnected to another tv!! But so many other things have been going on with the hot tub and getting the yard ready to put the 5th wheel in and get it off the road. I will wait---A while longer. I should just get out my WATP's videos and do them for awhile... probably need to start slow again anyway.

We had several people look at the 5th wheel but no takers yet so need to get it off the street. So it is either in the back yard or storage--Storage can get expensive plus I still keep it advertised so it would be nice to have it here. AND who knows we may decide to keep it. I guess that is one thing that is nice about being retired-- you can change your mind more often!!! LOL!!

Gayle, glad you filed the complaint--very proud of you. At least he will know that he can't get away with treating people that way! Keep us updated..

Better get going--I can't believe it is almost 9:00pm again!!Have a good night
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4701.jpg (22.1 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Karen31; 07-12-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:19 PM   #163  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG’s,

Two days down, one more to go. Boy, I sure hope that tomorrow is better than the last two days have been. It wasn’t that they were horrible, but they were the head spinning crazy busy kind of days. Didn’t get lunch until 4:30 in the afternoon. Today, I kept saying I would go when I got caught up ~ by 4:30 ~ I said the heck with it ~ I was just never gonna get caught up and went and had lunch. Didn’t get out of there until 8:30 tonight.

I hate that feeling where you can never get caught up and don’t have time to get organized and stay organized. Other people were trying to help me process the stack of charts, but that is stressful to me too. I worry that something will get missed and feel that it is ultimately my fault if it does. I can usually catch it when I “stuff” the charts (add extra doctors order sheets and progress note sheets). But I never even got a chance to do that today.

On top of all that, it was raining all day and we were having flooding. We were told that we could not leave unless our replacements showed up. That is a frustrating feeling ~ especially after the kind of day we had had. You want to get out as soon as you can.

Well, the rain let up a little, and all our replacements came and we got to go home ~ thank goodness.

It was a short evening ~ now time to get to bed already. I got to have a little fun here anyway.

Hope you all rest well.

Take care

Last edited by glynne; 07-12-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:48 AM   #164  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Hi goldens!

Wow, I can't believe it is actually 10:45pm! I have been on the go since early this morning. The camper is hitched up to the pickup, loaded up and ready to go. I am heading out in the morning. We are going to the Boulder River in the Gallatin National forest. If you ever saw the Robert Redford movie, "a River Runs Through it" it was actually filmed on the Boulder. I am looking forward to being in the high mountain country with friends. I am leaving by my self in the morning and others will arrive in the evening. So, I will get to enjoy a blessed afternoon in the mountains by myself! Yay!

Sorry that I don't have time for personals. No internet in the mountains so I will see you on Sunday.
Rie
Old 07-13-2012, 03:45 AM   #165  
Empress/Queen

Hi all, been enjoying reading through all the posts. This is a nice group.

Cajun: Yea, it is hot everywhere this year, I think. Lol, it is why I am up again and on the computer.

Maryea: Your new avatar pic is very pretty. I love the stuff you are posting from the books and always find something that makes me think. Your summaries and discussions on them interest me more than reading them myself because I am interested in your take on them. I was especially interested in your discussion on how we choose our beliefs. That is something I needed to read tonight as I am having a lot of anxiety at the moment and remembering that I am choosing to believe negativity is making me want to choose food, which is not a good idea at 12:35 a.m. because I have a lot of work to get through today and need to sleep not eat at the moment. So thank you for these postings.

Lol, I am a little different than the author about the scale, though. It DOES make me happy as I am not confused about my quite subjective and personal choice to monitor my weight since once, quite a long time ago, I weighed 100 pounds more than I do now. Weight maintenance is just a project to me that makes ME feel better about ME (and my doctor feel better about me). In that sense, the scale is not just a piece of metal to me but it is just data that can make me feel cheerful because I have succeeded in a goal. It DOESN'T make me sad when it does not produce the number I want as I know it is just data that I can use, but it does make me feel happy to see a nice number that moves me to my goal.

Good night, all.
Closed Thread