Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #286  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

be back later for personals, too busy this morning to sit and gab. I just scanned the post, caught Freda comment about my bread maker, it's working great. It was just the coils that got coated with bread dough and it cleaned up nice.
K3.....I use a fool proof way of making sure our freezers are kept shut. I lock them. A few years ago my DD's boyfriend was noticing that I locked my freezer. He made the comment, "I've never heard of anyone locking their freezer". I said it wasn't to keep anyone from stealing our food, it was a way of making sure the door was shut soundly. Some times when I'm digging in it a few times a day I think it's a nuisance, but it's a good idea.
Later gators
Old 07-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #287  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Good morning golden girls,
Went out Saturday night with the moms and it was a hit. They had so much fun. I was a good girl. I still had a plate full but all of a sudden I was so full. I stopped eating. I think the salad filled me up. So I took the rest home and ate it yesterday. 5 months ago this would have never happened. Before we left for dinner we went to mass and there was a friend there that I play pokeno with and none of the ladies have ever commented on my weight loss. Maybe it was due to the loose chothes I been wearing. Well I had my new smaller size shirt on and after mass she looked at me and said" you sure are looking good". so she did notice. Made me feel good.
Yesterday I woke up with back ache. Not sure if it's a pulled muscle or my kidney hurting. I slept for 3 hours Sunday after lunch. That's so not me. I never can fall asleep in the daytime. I'm still feeling yucky. Hurting and tired. I've been slacking on my exercise due to female monthly issues and got that straightened out and was planning to start up again yesterday but now I can't. No matter how bad I want to. Hopefully I can start feeling better.

Puneri- sorry to hear about your bp problems. I also had sleep problems. Before I started this diet I never could sleep without meds. The more I took, my body would get used to that and I needed a bigger dosage. I never ate sugar or soft drinks after 3 in the afternoon but still couldnt sleep. I guess I was taking so many carbs and sugars in the day before 3 that my body was overloaded. I noticed when I ate French fries that even kept me awake. I tried benedryl sleep aid and melatonin. I was always tired. Never seemed to sleep the meds off. When I started my diet after about a week or two I noticed I was getting sleepy without the meds. My diet is very low carb and sugar. Now I sleep like a baby and wake up feeling more energetic. I'm in perimenopause too so I thought that was the problem. Not so. It was the carbs and sugars. So my advise to you is look at the carbs and sugars your taking in. Try cutting them out of your diet for a few weeks and see if that helps. It did me. My problem was solved when I started this diet. I was amazed at the change in my sleep pattern. Just thought it might help you.

Maryea- let's hope they don't lose your curtains! I hate buying sheets. Between my house and summer camp and winter camp we have 3 king beds. 5 queens, and 3 full and 1 twin beds. That's a lot of sheet sets. At the camps I get hand me downs or cheep sets because we don't sleep on them every night. Lol

Freda- I know how you feel. I woke up Sunday morning with back pain. Not sure if it's a pulled muscle or kidneys.

Ginger- congrats on your weight loss this week!!!!!!!!!

Karen 31 we've had 12 inches of rain since thursday afternoon. We are so soggy but it will dry up, turn very hot and we will be suffering for rain shortly. That's our weather pattern.

Jess1 I would love snow. Very rarely do we get flurries. I was noticing your ticker.. You've lost more than you have to lose. Great progress! Keep up the good work.

Karen fl- Glad you got your dish cleaned out. It seems like I burn more food lately than I used to. We lost food in our freezer that was out in the shed. Strange thing was that everything was frozen on top half but everything on bottom half was starting to rot when we smelled it. Can't explain that. We lost so much meat that wasn't easy to replace. Can't go out and buy it like rabbits deer meat, fish, wild pork, frogs squirrel. Dh was very upset. We check the freezer often but didn't realize everything on bottom was thawed. Lo about the hearing aid. Good way to shut that noise up.

Bobbi- so so glad y'all caught some rain. Is that a good thing not having house hunters? Have you gotten used to the idea of moving? Hope you didn't ruin the bread maker.

Rosey- the cake was very pretty.

Gayle keep trying to figure it out. You ill get it. Can you ask your doctor to recommend a good nutritionist to help you with that. They do that for diebetics.

Rie- so glad your feeling better. I love catching catfish. Hope you caught a big one.
Carol Sue- I'm convinced blood sugar was my problem with sleeping also. Now that I'm off sugar I fall asleep pretty fast.

That's all I have time for today. Hello to all.
Hugs
Cajun
Old 07-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #288  

Height: 5'3"

Hello everyone! I finally got back to the gym! Almost didn't go because I got so little sleep...along with my usual frequent wakeups, at 5 am I got a bad leg/foot cramp. I couldn't get it to go away in bed so got up to take the cramp medicine and couldn't find the med. Dh heard me and got up to help, I finally found some med in a suitcase. I take it on trips because I never know when these darn cramps will hit. But I know I have another bottle in that bathroom...gonna search for it today as I want to always have one bottle nearby and one in my suitcase. I'm glad I jumped up when I did even though it made it worse for a while because by the time I found the med it was easing. If I'd waited I might not have been able to walk as has happened in the past. They are that bad sometimes. I took the pill anyway but just one. Figured it'd help to prevent another one and maybe help me sleep better too. I've been noticing it (the cramps) gradually coming on again...see, everything for me goes in cycles...cramps, back spams, neck/head pain/discomfort, UTIs...etc I am very wierd! Anyway I forced myself to go to the gym and I'm glad I did but I felt a little light-headed after walking and biking so didn't do the weight machines. Been a while so again, I have to ease back into it. Hopefully tomorrow will be easier. I'm fine now and my bs which started out high this morning is ok now. I've eaten ok, but exercise helps too.

Cajun - Way to go on taking the food home and eating it the next day!! I'm trying to learn to do things like that too. I want to respond to that sense of fullness. I notice I do fill up quickly, but I have this fear that I will be hungry right away. I know it's silly...I can always heat it up if I want it, right? But I think it won't be as good then or something, I don't know. Always fear I'll regret not eating it. I think I fear the feeling of regret or deprivation more than the actual loss of the food! Silly me, still working on that. It does seem like one thing after another comes up to keep us from exercise, doesn't it? I think you are younger but I was reading that for every day after the age of 60 we don't exercise, it takes longer, I forgot how long a time it is for us to catch up with our same fitness level (or energy or something). Forgot the exact wording but I do notice it. Interesting about the carb/sugar affecting your sleep. Wonder if that has anything to do with my wakefulness...although usually when I overload on carbs I get very sleepy like I'll want a nap even though I usually don't nap. Even at night I don't usually have trouble getting to sleep (occasionally I do), but I just wake up often and it takes a while to get back to sleep. I do my best sleeping it seems when it's time to get up esp if the room is still fairly dark and quiet. Even as a child I woke up often the night but I did sleep better then. While raising the kids I usually didn't sleep very well but that was because of them or work. When we first retired I slept pretty well, the chidren were finally all raised and I felt a relief from that responsibility plus no longer had to work. I was 52. It was after I went off the Premarin (at age 60) and the hot flashes hit hard that I began to really not sleep well so it's been almost 10 years now. These days I don't want to go to bed early like some people do at my age and I don't like to sleep all day but I wish I could get at least 6 hours of good solid sleep at night! If i hurt I take Tyl pm and it usually works but if I don't take it early enough I'm too tired in the am. Other than that I don't usually take anything. My dh had an adverse reaction to Advil PM so I'm reluctant to take it. Turned out the dry cleaners doesn't do curtains, so I washed them on the delicate cycle. Forgot to put them in the dryer but will do it on delicate and hopefullyi remember to remove right away. So will see how they turn out.

Puneri - I hope you can control your BP. Very important since it is a "silent" killer. I tried for a while to control mine without meds but finally decided even though mine wasn't terribly high it just wasn't worth the risk. Same with my cholesterol...I did everything I knew to control it...and when it didn't work I started taking the medication and both are much better now and no side effects. It is possible for some people to control these things with lifestyle changes though.

Well my break time is over and I need to get to work. Hope you all have a good day. It's cool here and was cloudy but I can see the sun is beginning to come out.

Last edited by maryea; 07-23-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #289  
Bobbi

I don't have the time to post this but my DD sent it to me and INSISTED that I watch it. Anyone with Dementia or Alzheimer's in the family, you should watch it.
www.cbn.com/media/player/index.aspx?s=/mp4/LJO190v1_WS - 18k -
Coconut Oil Touted as Alzheimer's Remedy

Researchers say the ketones found in coconut oil have slowed the progression of Alzheimer's disease in some people and may actually prevent it.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:29 PM   #290  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Hey just here 2 secs...Mary next time a cramp starts make yourself a small glass of tonic. There's quinine in the tonic that immediately helps cramps. And to be sure of sleeping better toss in some gin and to make you smile a squeeze of fresh lime will do!.

Cheers everyone....we are still getting tons of rain. Dash is dapper in his Thunder shirt. DD called are they had 2 separate lighten strikes at their place. One took out the electric fence and the 2nd hit the house and fried a breaker and scorched the insultation around it. They were away when it happened...luckly animals and buildings okay.

Back to my Brits....just got Rosemary and Thyme and ordered One Foot in the Grave.......Dh is finishing Doc Martin. k3
Old 07-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #291  

100 Days of Weight Loss by Linda Spangle (paraphrased)
Slow Down Your Eating

The eating pause provides a very distinct cue for knowing when you should stop eating but sometimes the pause may irritate you because you still want the rest of your food. (How does this author know ME so well?!!) You may think you have eaten so little you can't be full.

The author says our body's need for fuel is not consistent. Some days we need more and some days less. If you stop eating and a couple hours later you feel hjungry, that doesn't mean you got the signals wrong. Instead your body simply wants food and again and is letting you know.

As with any skill, listening to your body requires practice. Just when you think you've become adept at recognizing your satisfied point, one day you'll misjudge it and eat to the level of too full. But don't give up. In time it will be come second nature giving you a solid method for knowing what your body needs.

To recognize your body's signals you may need to slow down your eating pace. You can slip right past the eating pause and become too fiull before you realize it. Here's an easy way to train yourself to eat more slowly. At the start of the meal, set a timer or the alarm on your watch for 20 minutes. Then pace yourself (even if you are only eating a sandwich) so you will be finishing your food just as the alarm goes off. Gradually you will become more conscious of eating slowly and you'll learn to pace yourself automatically. (might be a good idea!)

If I'm So Smart, Why Can't I Lose Weight? Brooke Castillo (paraphrased)
Self-Care Tool#9
Ask a great question every day.
As a coach the authors says by asking high quality empowering questions of her clients she gets creative and inspiring answers. These can be used as tools to change lives. It's like your brain goes to work searching for the answers to what you are presenting. If you don't close the door with "I don't know" you will find a source of wisdom within you that you might not have known existed. The higher quality the question, the higher quality the answer.

Don't ask why can't I lose weight which will bring up all kinds of negative answers. Rather ask How can I lose weight permanently and have fun at the same time? You will likely come up with much more creative and wonderful ideas that will move you closer to your goal.

Right now take a moment and identify the questions you ask yourself. The author said her own main question was why does keeping my weight down have to be such a struggle for the rest of my life? One day her brain came back with "it doesn't." She changed the question to how can I end this struggle permanently and without deprivation or pain? Suddenly she began to get the answers that are found in this book. Whatever your question is, decide if it is empowering and if it isn't, change it immediately. Write it on post-its and put it up everywhere in your house. Your brain will go to work for you and most likely come up with a wonderful solution. If you want great answers ask great questions.

Last edited by maryea; 07-23-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #292  

Karen3 - Loved the Gin and Tonic idea! I don't usually have it in the house but maybe it could replace my quinine medication? How many calories and carbs in gin, I wonder?

Last edited by maryea; 07-23-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #293  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

tonic alone does the trick...the lime and gin are just decoration. You can get no cal tonic. Gin is listed as empty calories....lime?No more than the ice. k3
Old 07-24-2012, 12:41 AM   #294  

Yes alcohol is empty calories...at least I can subtract 1/2 the sugar alcohols from carbs. I haven't had gin in ages but I used to drink it. Won't like the tonic even with lime...hope, probably not for me...I'll stick to my one quick swallow OTC pills.

Last edited by maryea; 07-24-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:47 AM   #295  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Just a quick note:

I am busy this week with the last of the planning and prep for the family reunion that I organized for this weekend. WTH was I thinking I am still not feeling well and the antibiotics seem to be making me ill without doing much for the infection. Returning to dr tomorrow.

Sorry to be a negative nell..... miss you guys.

rie
Old 07-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #296  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning GG's

It's still hot as blue blazes out side. I'm really resenting this hot weather. I'm not getting the exercise I need, i'm so used to walking outside. So, it's back to the treadmill for me. And I haven't been doing the weights because my arm is still getting numb. What the heck is up with that. I keep thinking it will just go away if I give it a little more time. I'll have the Dr. look at it Thursday at work. I already know what he will say. "come in to the office" and then therapy. I'm NOT going there! Nothing exciting going on here. Some grocery shopping today. Not much else. Cleaned yesterday, and you know you can't overdo things like that. The house might get used to it, and expect it.

Rie, Feel better Darlin. Antibiotics make me so sick, but i force myself to take them untill the bitter end. I hope you're better in time for the party, especially since you've worked so hard on preparing for it.

Karen3, Would that recipe work just as well with beer? I don't like gin.

Bobbi, I will for sure read the article. My mom had dementia and it's slowly getting worse. So sad to watch her disapear. And good advice for the freezer. It's easy to not close them compleatly.

Cajun, I hope you're not comming down with something, but it sounds like you are. Feel better soon. Is't it nice when someone notices that we've lost weight? And she handled it well with the "you look good".

Hi to all the rest of you, where are you? Out having fun? Good.

Freda
Old 07-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #297  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Hello goldies,
Today was weigh in and I maintained. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. So aggravated. The scale don't want to move. I'm going to have to look at what I'm taking in and see if that's where I'm going wrong. I will not quit. I will win this battle with my body. I think not exercising could be some of my problem but with my side still hurting it's impossible. But I think it's getting better, not as bad as it was.

Rie- hope you can get rid of your infection and enjoy your family reunion.

Maryea- I love gin and diet sprite with a little cherry juice. Yum. Sometimes I drink them on weekends at the camp in the winter sitting around a campfire. Can't wait to camp this fall and winter. Did your cramps go away? How awful. My dad would catch them too. He would want to scream.

Karen fl we are getting tons of rain too. It's coming from your way. But that's ok bring on the rain as long as we don't get the hurricanes. I dread the next 2 months. So glad your family is ok. We have been having lots of lightening also. Scary.

Gotta run duty calls.
Hugs
Cajun
Old 07-24-2012, 09:13 AM   #298  
Bobbi

Rie...sorry you're not up to your energetic self, gets more sleep. What are you planning for activities at the reunion?
We had a spot of rain last night and hopefully more today, the farmer that has corn surrounding our house was out checking his fields last night. I didn't have the heart to go out and ask him how it was coming along. (pray for the farmers all over the drought area please)

Donna...I wanted to comment on your afghan, very pretty. I can't remember, is this a gift? My birthday is past, but you can make me one next year, okay? teehee. We saw the weirdo (joker) on tv yesterday, I think he was putting on a wacko act so he doesn't get the death penalty.

Lynn...is your dd's hyper-hypothyroidism straighten out yet. Always something to worry about our kids, huh?

K3...I've heard so many people talk about their bucket list, where did that term come from? I'm too lazy to google it.
Were you able to cook up and save any of the freezer foods? You are such a good cook, I'm guessing you found a way to use some of it.

Mary...I agree with you, staying in a motel when visiting your sister. She maybe doesn't realize the added stress of over night guests. DH and I prefer staying in motels so we can have our privacy.

Puneri...DH and I both take melatonin at night, I thought that was a natural supplement? I have the same problem as some of you waking in the night and not getting back to sleep. I have a cure that works for me, a small bowl of cheerios and milk. (not much milk) I usually go right back to sleep with something in my tummy. Try it!

Freda...you should see our apple trees, the early sweet apples are just about ready but the apples are dropping way too early because of drought. (Natures way of keeping the apples left supplied with water) Too hot to bake so I'm using the dropped apples in desserts made in the crock pot, then will freeze. I found a really good crock pot recipe last week for the apples.

Carol Sue...try cheerios and milk for your sleeplessness. Or any comfort foods will work. How's hubby doing?

Glynne...hows the carb counting coming? DH just now commented on how hot the southern states are going to be today. Stay COOL.

KarenMo...I was thinking of you and all the smoothies you drink. I love chocolate but stay away from it because of migraines. I did some experimenting yesterday with carob. I froze it in cupcake pans for smoothies, prepared 3 different ways. I added fiber husk right into the mix, today I'll try one and see if I wasted the ingredients or if it was successful. DH loves the shakes I make with slim fast but we about out of all the flavors. In my new cheap-skate mode, I'm trying to make my own. I might have to relent and buy more slim fast. Usually you can find recipes for products that mimic the real thing but couldn't find a slim fast recipe. Anyone know of one? We get plenty of multivitamins in the morning so the recipe doesn't need that, like I mentions above, the fiber is added. One time I added some dry kool-aid in with the milk but that was quite bland. Suggestions anyone?

Cajun...I'm so happy for you, getting people to make encouraging comments on your new looks is very rewarding. All that work pays off, huh.

Marie... we miss you around here. Have you played the new "Word Trick" game on facebook. I started a few games with my aunt, it's like words with friends but with a twist. DH has been at a stand still on refurbishing the '32 chevy. It's too hot in the garage so I'm been sneaking in a game or two.

Ginger...congrats on your weight loss, hope you don't hit any plateaus.

Rosey...you have inspired me to be a quilter, you and some of the other Golden Girls. I have a blue jean quilt made for both grandsons for Christmas, a blue jean quilt for DH's best friend. Yesterday I told DD that she won't be getting a Christmas gift from us because we're still paying on the Home Depot bill for her kitchen. She is so sweet, never expects anything and so grateful for helping us pay for the new kitchen. I told her I'd make her a quilt for Christmas and she would like that. BUT, she would pick out the material. You all know I'm new to quilting, how much material would I need for a lap quilt? I told her 4 different patterns and 1/2 yard each. How's that sound to you quilters? Too much material? I won't need it for backing, just the top pattern.
If I missed anyone, sorry. My brain is fried this morning just thinking of all the fallen apples I have to freeze, use this morning.

TaTa
Old 07-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #299  
Bobbi

Cajun...I see we posted at the same time, OH NO, THE DREADED PLATEAU! Hand in there, it too will pass.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #300  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...
TOO EARLY!! I hate summer. I probably haven't mentioned that before... It's so irritating to be awakened because the sheets are soaked. One more month of this...

Bobbi - yes, I thought, too, that the crazy was putting on a show in anticipation of an insanity defense. He was quite pleased with himself when he did the deed, when he was taken into custody, and now this?? I know he's not medicated. Many years ago, a guy shot up the night crew working at a fast food pizza place; his attorneys advised him to smear feces on the cell walls, to laugh inappropriately, and to act crazy! What a world!

I'm so glad you like the afghan. When/if you move into that condo, I'll make one for you as a housewarming gift, too.

I always thought that "bucket list" came from that movie that Jack Nickelson made... about the list of things one wants to do before they "kick the bucket"....

Rie - feel better! This isn't LIKE you! Feel better so you can enjoy the reunion!

Freda - feel better, too... sounds like you have a pinched nerve.

Nothing to say! I'm just miserable and will shut up about in in a couple of months!

Have a good Tuesday, lovelies!

Last edited by jess1; 07-24-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Closed Thread