Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #106  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning GG's,

Hope you all have a blessed Sunday. Worked Friday and didn't get home untill late. Not a good day. Left frustrated and exhausted, but that seems to be the norm these days. Yesterday was busy with the kids. DGD had a baseball game at 10:30, DGS played in the all-star baseball game at 4. Not much time to do anything in between. It was so hot and muggy and we were all exhausted afterwards. It was 98 degrees yesterday. It's supposed to cool off into the 80's today. I am so hoping! My air conditioning bills are going to be gynoromous. I will hate to pay them, but I really don't care. I can't take the heat. Different areas here were getting brown outs, but we haven't, so far. Tomorrow I start the prep for the colonoscopy. Can't say I am looking forward to it, but i'll be glad to get it over with.

Isabella, it's always good to get home, but I know you will miss the kids.

Ginger, Congrats! 3 lb. is awsome! And those are goals to look forward to and work for.Were any of your relatives shocked at the "real you"? I've found that most people know more than we give then credit for anyway. They accept what you are. And if they don't, too bad for them.

Gayle, Sorry you couldn't get to go swimming with your DGD. You are just more understanding than I. I would just have taken her without him and told him "sorry you couldn't come with us".

Lynn, I think we all want cool food when it's this hot. I love ice cream all year though. I get the low sugar ones and they are pretty good. I always have ice cream in the house. But you know me and sweets.

Karen, just go ahead and post your list here. We won't tell anyone!

Mary, I don't have hot flashes any more, but i'm always warm. I have a fan in the bed room, mostly on me too. But DH doesn't complain. he can just cover up with more bedding.

Carol Sue, haven't heard you say anything about the home health nurse coming to do packing lately. All healed?

Rie, I think the best kind of exercise is the natural kind anyway. Work IS exercise! Staying active is great. And it's great to have the energy to do what you want. Losing weight has so many advantages. One of my goals was to be able to feel comfortable putting on a bathing suit and taking the kids to the beach. Silly? sure, but it was soemthign I really wanted to do. And go bike riding with them. I had forgotten how fun bike riding was. Do you go hiking when you are camping?

Bobbi, I hate paying the electric bill in the summer time too. DH pays the bills and I just tell him not to tell me how much it is, I DON'T CARE!

Marie, Where are you? I miss hearing from you.

Freda
Old 07-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #107  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

As strongly as I feel about the importance of exercise for good health, it does have downsides. My friend's 50 something brother used to walk on the treadmill every morning before work. One day he finished walking, went into the kitchen and fell over dead. Another friend of mine had had heart surgery in his 40's. He walked every day after that, until one day he went out for his walk and fell over dead down the street from his house. Both of these people obviously had something wrong that they didn't know about. The man who had had the heart surgery had kept up his Dr visits and regular testing after his surgery, but whatever was wrong was not caught. You know that everyone who starts an exercise program does not consult their doctor beforehand. They assume they are doing something that's good for them by exercising. And even if they did, testing can give false information. So each of us must make the decision that suits them. Some can exercise regularly and die an early death, and other may never exercise and live to be 100.

My 3 YO grandson was here yesterday and he wanted to go outside to play with his big kickball. I told him to wait until Pap Pap came up from the basement to take him outside. He said "Look at this Grandma!" and kicked the ball right into a glass vase of artificial flowers on my side table. It didn't break, but fell over and all the flowers went flying. I didn't yell. He looked at me and I looked at him and he said "Sorry" and proceeded to pick up all the flowers and put them back in the vase. I was proud of myself that I didn't yell, but I gently told him that that is why I tell him not to play with the ball in the house. He went out into the driveway to see Pap Pap washing the car and he started toward the road. DH told him 3 times to stay away from the road and when he kept going Pap Pap screamed at him! He came running in the house crying that Pap Pap yelled at him. That never happens! So I again, gently explained to him that Pap Pap loves him and didn't want him to get hurt. So he stopped crying and went on playing as if he understood. Something has to give with him. You can tell him repeatedly not to do something and he just keeps on going. I guess it's just kids. I remember when my step-daughter was little she used to say "You don't have to yell!" and I said "Yes I do, because you don't listen when I talk softly."

Freda- Yes, my belly wounds are all healed up. You must have missed my post. The last day with the nurse was June 11 and my final DR appointment was June 12. They are still poked in, but not as much as they originally were. I don't know if they will ever come up level with my belly, but as long as they don't re-open, I'm satisfied. Now I just want to stay out of the hospital.

Karen31 - I feel the same way as you do, not wanting anyone to see my personal "list". In fact, I have my Fitday account loaded onto a jump drive so it's not saved on my computer. Sometimes other family members use my computer and I wouldn't want them to come across my info.

Rie - I use the library e-books because I am just too cheap to buy them! The paperback books I do buy I get used for under $1. If I hadn't heard about downloading library books to the e-reader I wouldn't have bought the reader. And then when I went to the library and found out that I could download them from my own computer at home I was thrilled to know that I didn't have to actually go to the library to get them!

I must have missed something. Why isn't Marie around? Is she OK?
Old 07-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #108  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Happy Sunday Goldens!

Well, the drive in was a total hit with the family and friends. It was about 75 degrees after the sun went down and there was a clear sky overhead with millions of stars. Quite lovely. I even enjoyed the movie "the amazing spiderman" more than I thought I would. I wanted to see "magic mike" but we had too many little people in the group and that wouldn't be appropriate. The girls (the young wives of my fishing buddies) and I are considering going later this week on carload night. We will take several bottles of wine and the one girl who is preggo can be the designated driver. Sounds like a plan to me! Sometimes there are distinct advantages to hanging out with the young ones

Carol, I hear you about the exercise. when our time comes, it comes. For me, my belief is that my family members lived so long because they worked very hard on the farm. I have a sedentary job so I need to exercise.

Freda, I hope the colonoscopy goes well and the prep isn't too yucky. I will be thinking of you tomorrow.

CaddyK, I have been pretty private about my goals and my lifestyle for weight loss. I think that my be the reason that rumors still persist that I had weight loss surgery. Oh well, my goals are my goals, right?

Mary, how was the market? did you get some new veggies and fruits? Your Joe is definitely a keeper. I wish we could all find one of him! Around here I see a few complete wii systems on craigs list. Also, let your kids know that you guys would like a system for a gift......

Ginger, congrats on the weight loss! I hope to join you soon if I don't continue to eat popcorn at the movies

Isabella, safe travels. I'm sure you will be happy to get home and in you own routine.

Gayle, I propose a solution, Maddie gets to go swimming twice! I'll be she would approve of that plan.

Donna, I hear you were getting lots of rain this weekend..... Nice. How are you doing?

For those of you concerned about Marie, she has been posting on the challenge thread. I think she is just so busy in the summer that she has limited time to post. I miss her too. and our dear Zoe.

Little guy was just "exercising" a couple minutes ago. LOL I had no idea that when I do abdominal crunches I make this weird "grunt, whoosh" sound! Kids.......

I am off to play golf and bowling on the wii...... Later!

rie

Old 07-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #109  

Anyone ever mix colonoscopy prep with wine coolers? Just one of those crazy thought that go through your head..
Old 07-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #110  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...

Oh, Freda - you made me choke my coffee! I LOVE the idea of mixing wine coolers with Golytely ("Go-Lightly"or whatever they're using these days)!! I think there's just no way to make any of this palatable or comfortable. You won't even remember the procedure, just the prep... and good luck to you!

Rie - we've had the most wonderful rains the last two days! I am in hog heaven (well, piggy heaven, at least)... sleeping is great!

Nothing to report. Oh, I developed a heat rash where I definitely do NOT want a heat rash (reminds me of the nursing home rotation when I was in nursing school and the (I'm sure!) 190 degrees that they maintain there!), and CK told me she'd been told to use plain old athlete's foot cream. It's a wonder drug!!! Thank you, CK!! I am much improved!

Life is calm, and that's good. No complaints, and that's good, too. Hope you're all well and healthy and enjoy the rest of the weekend!!
Old 07-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #111  

Another beautiful warm day. We had a great church service, then stopped at Costco to pick up my mocha mix and had lunch there. We have a big restaurant lunch planned for tomorrow so decided to go cheap today. The scale was down .8 lbs today but it goes up and down so I'm not impressed. It's more like I'm stable. I do notice some changes though..I'm noticing I'm full more now and I'm not usually eating when I feel that fullness. I'm being more selective about what I use my limited number of calories and carbs on...has to be something I really think I'll enjoy. I'm eating more and more with awareness. Also on the feelings/emotional thing...today I had a bad experience. I offended someone accidentally...a complete stranger. I wasn't calling them a name or being intentionally rude but they took it that way. I saw them later telling others about it and motioning to me. That hurt esp as I really hate when I offend someone even unintentional. I was and am not angry at this individual, just hurt that the situation happened and sad that I did not handle it better. In fact I wished I could have given this person a big hug and told them so, but I could tell they would not have accepted it. I did try to explain but he wouldn't listen, just left. So really it was more that I was upset with myself and felt sad and ashamed. So much emotion for such a small unintentional thing! But I remembered what the book said, and I allowed myself to experience the feeling and went back in my mind to the probable roots of why I felt the way I did. I poured out my hurt and regret to God, and forgave all the people in my past who were part of developing these feelings in me (without meaning to I'm sure) and myself as He forgave them and me. The tears came on the way home but I allowed the pain to come as I worked through it and did not turn to food when I got home as in the past I might have. So it does work. I've handled other things in my life like this...things much bigger than this...so it isn't a totally new concept to me, but now I am applying it for a difference reason, in regard to food. I wasn't sure I should share this private thing, but decided I'd share in case it helps someone else.

Donna - That Versad (spelling?) is wonderful isn't it? When I had my first colonoscopy (back in early or mid 70s), they did not give me anything. It was horrible!! I swore I'd never have another one! But now it is so much, much easier!

Rie - Glad you enjoyed your nite at the drive-in. Gee, I haven't been to one of those for many many years,...didn't know they still had them although I do know one RV park in OR that has one for people that stay there. When we had small children we used to enjoy them...we had a station wagon and the littler ones could just lay down when they got sleepy. It was a lot of fun!
We got some Rainier Cherries at the market. They are so sweet and good! My problem is staying away from them!

Slmn11- Some children are easier to discipline than others even in the same family. We had one boy that when you'd call him, he'd run in the other direction! Seemed like we were always having to ground him even when he got older for something! But he's turned out ok. My gc seem better behaved and easier to handle than I remember some of my kids being and sometimes I think my kids are better parents than we were but guess maybe it's cause I'm not around them all the time. About the e-reader...I don't know what kind you have but if it's Kindle you can get LOTS of free books on Amazon. Almost all of my over 1100 books have been downloaded free and I don't have to return them. I also can borrow one book a month through my Amazon Prime membership(I have paid for Prime) and return it before I get another if I want a book that isn't free.

The Slim Me - Yeah the prep is the nasty part. Good luck with your test and the results.

Ginger - Yeah I think it's way past time for me to lose the hot flashes! I'm hoping 70 will be the magic number. But they are a lot better than they were. I suspect if I lost my weight it would help. With housework I kinda do the Fly Lady thing...I have a few daily tasks and others I do a little each day. Sometimes it gets done, sometimes it doesn't. Sat is my catch up day but that doesn't always happen either.

Last edited by maryea; 07-08-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #112  

S/C/G: 279/223/132

It's been a crazy food thinking-craving day. First at lunch I did my crazy thinking> I have this wierd thing wthat for certain foods you have to have an equal amount of the food that is needed with it. In the past- No Point in a burger without fries and a coke, ( In fact a huge list needs coke with it-or I just don't want it) Yeah me no coke for over 2 weeks now! Any how I"m same way with cheese and crackers, which I had for lunch. I have a bite for each item match up,I was allowed 12 of the crackers and 3 slices of the cheese calorie wise, but when I had left over crackers I found myself adding a slice of cheese to "GO with" the crackers. OF course that took up what would have been my afternoon snack and that seemed to have led to cravings all afternoon for fried foods of all things. No I didn't indulged, instead I went and worked on my website I'm tryong to redo. The craving did pass. As I sat bathing, It came to me : Why didn't I just return the extra crackers? New to me is not cleaning the plate. Next time the extra is returned or thrown away.
Gotta run, Ginger
Old 07-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #113  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Rie, on the hot temps and ice cream stats. I will use any justification for eating ice cream. Enjoy your boat! Our neighbor invited DH and I out boating yesterday but I had a house full of guests. I so sadly declined. My DD takes DGS to the drive-in all the time. They get the new releases and get two movies for one. She and DGS love it. BTW, many people think I had WLS too and I don’t correct them because that it a hard way to lose weight. Rosey always is amazing me with her control.

Freda, the colonscopy prep. I hope you get to use a relatively new one that I used. It’s about 16 oz followed by 4 cups of water over 2 hours. Then four hours later you do it again. Nothing like the gallon horror stories I’d heard of. It’s called Suprep. Other notes that I learned with 2 bowel preps in less than two weeks: From the beginning when it starts to work, use cottenelle wet wipes. Your bum will do so much better. I swear that’s the only thing (the bum) that was horrible about the process. Then my friend, a nurse (like you) said to use desitin ointment (diaper rash) from the first go too. A layer of protection over the skin. She said for her it eliminated the sore bum. I know when I have to do a colonscopy in another 2.5 years, I will be using that piece of advice. The rest of it was a breeze as I was sound asleep. I will be thinking of you!

Carol Sue, good for you not yelling about the vase. Sometimes I is just so easy to yell. But you did great. Giggled at the response to your SD telling you that you didn’t need to yell. And I’ve been lurking but posting regularly seems like I’d need more like 26 hours in a day so I just skim through and think that life will slow down at some point. Hopefully soon.

KarenMO and Donna, cool info on the heat rash cure. I will remember that. Exercising in the heat (and yes we have heat now) causes under-boob rashes. I will so remember that. And YEAH for Colorado rain!

Mary on the unintentional slip. Maybe some day you can apologize when the person might be more receptive. Whatever you do, don’t wallow in guilt. If you’d been deliberate, that would be different but we all are human. BTW, I’ve been a cherry addict the last few weeks. They are so fresh and wonderful at the moment. And Mary, if you figure out how to easily mass delete from a Kindle, let me know. I hate doing them one at a time through my Amazon account under Manage Your Kindle. Why oh why don’t they have a way to choose multiple books to delete.

Ginger, I couldn’t go 2 weeks without Diet Pepsi. I just adore the fizzies in the mouth. When I was out of the country for 3 weeks (twice actually), I finally broke down and had a caffeinated Diet Coke because I couldn’t handle no fizzies. The first trip, I made DH bring a Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi to the airport when he picked me up. I was salivating.
Also, on the clean your plate club. When I resigned from it, I did it with the mantra that it was more wasteful to shove more fat on my body than throwing it away. I’m about 5 years post obese and I still chant the mantra. It’s now ingrained.

Bobbi, email – get a yahoo or gmail account and set up Outlook or Outlook Express to use it. You put your username and password in the mail program and it will never ask again.

OK, I’m out of time and my long weekend is coming to a close. DD and DGS had been visiting the last 5 days. DS, DIL, DGD, and DGS visited often in the 5 days and it was too hectic. I think I finally feel old. My dogs and I are exhausted. Lots of swimming and dancing with the PS3. I’m sitting in front of a fan trying to stay cool. My skin is so dark and it has been drenched daily with sunscreen. So no more outdoor play. Back to work tomorrow. Sad, sad, sad.

To everyone I missed, I have been reading the posts and have many witty, or even a few thoughtful comments but there really aren’t 26 hours in a day. Another sad, sad, sad. So HI to you all.

Marie
Old 07-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #114  

Wow, I was able to finally get on! Been having a lazy for the most part day so lots of time to be online but couldn't get on this site.

Marie - Good advice on the prep. I hope next time I can use what you did and will follow your advice. No I am not wallowing in guilt. That is the whole point of the exercise...to help you deal with your emotions, to allow yourself to feel them, and to dig deep and find out why you react the way you do and when you do it it tends to help you not to eat due to emotions but it also helps you to forgive yourself and the other person and not hold a grudge. That was one reason I wasn't sure I should bring it up because I didn't want to sound like I was complaining about the other person...I really am not! This was about me. It was the situation, that I offended someone, shame and sadness that I did it even unintentionally and how it affected me...good in that I realized a need to change and learned how I could have better handled it, but bad in that it brought up old negative feelings from childhood. I don't eat emotionally nearly as much as I used to but I still will sometimes and going through this did help me not to do that this time. At the time however I really didn't think about the eating part, I just wanted to deal inwardly with the situation as I have with other issues in my life, but I think if I hadn't I would have eaten as soon as I walked in the door. Honestly I feel nothing bad toward this man. I know that I was partly to blame, I simply acknowledge that and feel I learned how to be more sensitive and better handle a similar situation. And I'm sure it will come up again so I'm glad for the learning! Marie in regard to the Kindle I've always deleted only one book at a time. Next time I'll leave one there until I have two and see if I can do it. Let you know if I learn anything.

Ginger - You sound a lot like me when it comes to food...I can see myself taking the cheese and crackers to go just because they are there. GFY for not allowing the indulgence to continue though. What is your website about?

All I've done today is load the dishwasher and do a little gardening. It's beautiful but really warm out there however I'm sure nothing like most of you experienced. Dh is out there mowing right now and I think it's cooler by now. Think after he's done I may sit out and read for a while.

Last edited by maryea; 07-08-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #115  

Yesterday I tried on an old pair of capris that I thought were too tight. They fit! Snug, but still comfortable. My waist must be getting smaller because that is where I usually have trouble fitting in clothes.

Maryea - My e-reader is a Pandigital Planet Android. At the time that I bought it, Kindle was not allowing downloads from the library so that was out of the question. I didn't know anything about the Nook, and since my DIL had a Pandigital I figured I would get that too and if I needed help with it I could ask my DIL. I have downloaded a few free books from Barnes and Noble but they are unknown books by unknown authors. I like that I can get best sellers etc free from the library. I delete them as soon as I finish them. I am not one to keep books or read them a second time so I'm glad I don't have to buy them. Right now I am on a waiting list for "50 Shades of Gray". In the meantime I am reading some of my paperbacks that are beginning to pile up. I can read a paperback book faster than a book on my reader. I don't know why.

Marie - I missed you! Someone posted that you are regularly over on the Challenge thread. I should come over there. I have never posted there because I am not very good at challenges, but maybe it would help me to get better at it if I challenged myself to get better at challenges.

After my colostomy reversal, I used Cottonelle wipes since my butt hadn't been used for awhile and needed a gentle touch! They are very soothing. I still have the dispenser, but I buy Target brand refills. They are the same, but cost less.

When my psoriasis was at it's worst, I would get a bad irritation in my skin folds...under my bust and belly. Inverse psoriasis it is called. I tried so many different things for it and the only thing that worked was Acid Mantle Cream that I ordered online. It is very expensive, but does the trick with the irritation. I was in remission for the past year so I didn't need to use it. I don't know if the surgeries put me in remission, but lately my psoriasis is coming back. I am blaming it on coffee. I had quit drinking coffee, but after my lasts surgery I got back on it and am having a hard time quitting again. Coffee is a known trigger for psoriasis. Somehow, because I was in remission, I thought I could drink it again. Silly me!

I used to be so hooked on the fizzies in Diet Coke. I quit that, too, when I quit the coffee. It was very difficult giving them both up. I get a lot of congestion in my throat and cough alot and the fizzies seem to help with it. Right now I probably have 1 Diet Coke per week or less. Maybe I'll go back to that, and maybe put a little rum in it.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #116  

Good Morning GG's,

It looks like it's going to be much cooler today. DH said that very early this morning you would need long sleeves outside. Sounds good to me. We are too ready for some cool weather. going to pick up our glasses today. DH's are tri-focals and really needed to be replaced. Mine are just stronger reading glasses. I'm looking forward to seeing how much difference they make.

Marie, Thanks for the advice. Made me laugh when I remembered the stuff I used to buy for my husband called "monkey butt". Not dreading the procedure as much as getting through the day with no food. The kids are not coming over today so that will make it easier. DH is on his own while I am eating my green jello for dinner.I know you had fun with the kids, but they are exhausting, aren't they?

Carol Sue, Congrats on the weight loss. Getting into clothes that you couldn't wear before is a major thing. Makes it all worth while, and gives you new incentive. We use niastatin powder at the hospital for the irritation in folds and under breasts. Do you still get the psoriasis if you don't get the irritation?

Mary, It's difficult when you can't explain yourself to a person that thinks they have been intentionally hurt. You know in your heart that was not the case. Is this a person that you know or will see again? Let it go. You're already worked it through and figured out how to handle it better next time. That's all you can do. I've quit beating myself up. Too many people out there willing to do it for you.

Ginger, You had a major breakthrough! Before you sit down to eat next time, remind yourself of that.

Marie and Mary, I've been on a major cherry kick the last few weeks too. They are my total favorite and in season such a short time. I take advantage and eat all I want. Which is a lot. But I know they make my mouth raw, and it is. So now I am having a hard time eating anything besides bananas. ha! As soon as it's healed I know I'll go buy more cherries, after all, they are on sale this week!

Rie, I love drive-in's and have really fond memories of them from when I was young. I'm looking forward to seeing spiderman with the kids too. But the girls night out sounds like some adult fun that we all need from time to time. Have fun! I agree with you about exercise. I think it saves a lot more lives than it takes. When I think how hard my grandparents worked I am amazed. Wouldn't want to go back and live like that, but they stayed strong and healthy well into their 90's.

Freda
Old 07-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #117  

Freda - The irritation under my breast and in the folds of my belly were the first to go when I went into remission. It was a red rash and if I didn't use the cream the skin would crack and hurt, especially where my bra rubbed. I just noticed one day that it was gone. My back and legs cleared up 90% which is very good for me. Now, the first to start coming back is on my legs, and naturally, it decided to come back during the summer! I just wear long capris and the only part of my leg that shows is the bottom half of my calves.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-09-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #118  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Hey all you Goldie girls,

Going into the weekend I was down on my weight this week. But we had a very busy weekend that started with my youngest son wanting to cook for his girlfriend and his other friends and their girls. Well we ended up having our friends here as well. It was so much fun. Them young ones make us laugh. I had a margarita which is a no no and ate a couple things I shouldn't have. Then the next day Sunday I brought my mil to church and brought her shopping after. Omg she is slow! 1 hour at lowes to buy a mini blind and 2 hours at wal mart to get a few groceries. But that's ok. I did a good deed. Lol
Returning home only to discover house full of young ones again. This time they were watching a movie with popcorn and candy. The smell was so hard. There was that devil on my shoulder again!! But I managed to win! Then no sooner than movie was over they wanted to cook again. My worst craving. The dreaded hamburger and French fries. Again I managed to eat my nighttime meal right before they did so I survived that. Phew glad this weekend is over. I weigh in tomorrow Tuesday morning so we will see what that brings. I'm hoping the scale will have mercy on me. I love my son doing things at home with his friends but they want us to join in and I struggle on weekends.

Carol sue- congrats on getting in them capris. That is a good feeling! Sorry about your friends brother. We just never know when it's our time. I work as a child care provider and it amazes me how children of today choose to not listen. I've been doing this for 20 years and the new generation is worse than when I started. The parents are the worse ones. They think if they discipline the children the child will not love them. Crazy huh!

Maryea- wow!!! You've progressed more on your diet than just losing lbs. It's become a part of you. To just have control over the whole situation is the best reward for success. Congrats! My dh is kind like that also. He is such a support system for me. Sorry to hear about them spasms again. I'm glad you got more meds.

Marie- I love dancing. It's good exercise. We danced at a wedding a couple of weekends ago and can you believe I didn't wake up sore the next day. I also hate for the weekends to be over.

Ginger- I like your list. I might have to make me one. I can relate to that devil sitting on my shoulders daring me to et things I shouldn't. I had one of them moments yesterday. I told my husband the devil was after me. He said "throw him in the trash"! I had to laugh. But it worked. Felt better after. Congrats on the 3 lb loss. It broke my heart to hear about how you feel about your home and your company. Just keep working at it and you will be able to clean that house. You are on your way! Keep it up!

Jess1 thanks for the tip on the rash. I am big busted and get a rash when outside working. It is very painful.

Freda- I just did a colonoscopy. Had to laugh about the wine coolers. After all it's fluids! Hope the prep goes ok. That's the hardest part..

Rie- we used to have one of those drive in movies. That's something I forgot about. I remember my parents goin twice a month on their date night they would call it. It was 5 months yesterday I lost my dad and the drive in movie was a fond reminder. I will have to tell my mom about that. Everyone here is seeing magic mike too. Them young ones will keep you smiling.

Isabella hope your trip home was good. It's always good to go somewheres but good to get home!

Gayle- I'm looking into getting me a new vacuum cleaner and I was also looking at the reviews. They tell you Lot about the product you are thinking of buying. I love the picture. So much love!!!

Hi Karen, Rosey, Bobbi, and Am

Sorry if I missed anyone. Work calls

Cajun
Old 07-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #119  

Another beautiful and warm day! LOVE summer in the NW!! Our oldest gs (20) and gd (17) are coming today. Can't wait to see them as it's been almost a year. We are taking them to lunch and our dd is meeting us there with the two little gc so the cousins can finally get to know each other. They haven't seen the 5 year old since he was 2 and have never met the Princess. I'm no longer having back spasms, my back just feels stiff and sore but hopefully that will go away soon.

Cajun - I love having young people around too. Just livens things up. Although I love being retired and free, at times I really miss not having the kids around.

The Slim Me - No, it was a complete stranger. Probably a very nice guy under normal circumstances. I wish him the very best.

Slmn11 - I understand about your e-reader now. Occasionally the top writers do have their kindle versions free for a very brief time, but you're right it's mostly new or less known writers. Some are good some not so good. At least they are easily deleted.

I'm reading a lot of books right now:
Bedroom (devotional) - I am rereading The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence.
Bathroom - My First White Friend by Patricia Raybon
Kitchen - Trapped in Hitler's **** by Anita Dittman with Jan Markell
Office - the diet motivational books I've been sharing.
At odd times on my Kindle and iPad - An Eye for Murder (An Ellie Forman mystery)
Usually I only have 3 books going but somehow I got into all these and am enjoying them all!

Need to clean up the house a bit before the kids get here.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #120  

S/C/G: 278/264.9/175

Height: 5'9"

I just got to read some of your posts today - I really enjoy reading them, although I don't always have time to write. I have recently also been experiencing a little crisis. When I read Carol Sue's post about exercise and seeing if you have something wrong I had to chime in. It is important to be an advocate for your own health. I am (still)living proof of that. Last year I asked my doctor (or the assistant doctor, because my real one is never available) if I should have a stress test. He blew it off saying my heart was fine. I had asked another doc about it this year and got the same answer. Hey I am about 75 pounds overweight and I was an ex smoker (smoked for 30 years)! My checkup this year was with a new doc, who again didn't suggest anything - said my bp, and blood test were great. I called his office later and said I wanted a stress test. He said fine, but I should meet with the heart doc first and have him give recommendations. Long story short the heart doc put me on a holter monitor for three weeks, did scans of my carotid (he had heard something) and echo of my heart. The heart turned out to be fine BUT the carotid had blockage of 65 percent on one side and over 50 in another. I have NORMAL cholesterol - my hdl is very good. So that does not predict clogged arteries. SMOKING and obesity are serious risks.
He said no operation yet, see if we can control it with statins and even lower it with weight loss. Luckily I have already lost some weight, but the statins I tried for a few days and made my muscles hurt so bad I could barely work out (he wants my cholesterol 20 or 30 points lower than normal). So now I am researching for my life. I had downloaded several books on health and the heart - researching vitamins, etc. My diet must be strict for the rest of my life.
I have a treadmill test on Wed to check whatever (I am not sure), but I am making a list of several questions and make sure he spends the time to answer them. Nothing like a gun to your head (or a knife to your throat) to make you see the light! I just hope it is not too late. Oh YEAH - and meditation, yoga.
So my advice is not to rely on what a doc says as he gives you your ten (or less) minutes. You need to be your own advocate for your own health. I wish I had pushed this a little sooner.
Carol Sue - I am very sorry about your friends!

Last edited by redjb7; 07-09-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Closed Thread