Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Hi golden chicks -

I am going to try to go to some fireworks on this hot evening. My son stopped by and said the fire department he works for will have a truck there and we can hang out with them. I’ve never seen my son on the job before. Now, I was planning to be in my jammies by 9 p.m. in air conditioned comfort but that would be lonely. I have always had a problem staying up with the grownups.

Mary - I do know how to change the temperature temporarily on that darn thermostat. It’s just when it changes in the middle of the night that it’s a big problem. I had a talk with DH yesterday and told him that during this very hot weather I want it set EXACTLY where I want it while we‘re sleeping - no fudging to save a buck or two cuz I’m just miserable. I slept much better last night. I’m glad Gayle brought this up because I don’t think about it until 3 a.m. when I wake up sweating and I forget all about it by the time my husband wakes up. This group is so helpful! J

Carole Sue - I forgot that sweat is getting the toxins out of my body. I guess I should be grateful. I did go to the gym yesterday and did a little lighter workout. I ended up being able to exercise a little longer - 36 minutes. I still got drenched but I think it's better. This may be the ticket for me.

Ginger - My heart goes out to you. You are in a difficult and painful situation. I think it might help to go to a bipolar support group on line to find help in your area. Professionals can help your son find medication that he feels better on and provide counseling for him and your family to deal with this complicated situation. Science has come a long way in dealing with a lot of disorders. I will be thinking of you.

My husband is starting his treatment for prostate cancer tomorrow . He decided on proton beam radiation therapy. He has to go every day, Monday through Friday for 44 days. That means he won’t be finished until September 5. Luckily there is a facility about 50 minutes away from us. There are only 10 in the country. I’m not sure how he’ll feel afterward. They are saying there are little to no side effects. Maybe I’ll bring my laptop with me. And I better get some audio books. Have a happy Fourth of July. Hugs to everyone.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

hi everyone Happy 4th

Last edited by Karen3; 07-04-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #63  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Hello from a person that never sweats because I'm always cold.
Ginger...I'm a all or nothing kind of gal also. It has it's good and bad points. The good points keep me on a great weight losing plan because I refuse to go off my diet until I've lost. I really jumped into the tight wad mode too. Tonight for supper I made some outstanding sliders with 1/2 can black beans and 8 oz. of ground venison/pork, toppped with some warm cole slaw. On the food channel the gal that does $10.00 and under meals had the recipe. We both really liked them and the recipe made 8 sliders. I froze 4 of the raw patties for future meals. Sorry for your broken heart. I have to admit I don't know what DSJ or DSK means?
Quote:
My DSJ that lives at home with us not the DSK I spoke of earlier, breaks my heart and sometimes it really is so overwhealming.
Donna and Freda... As to our house, we're having the open house on Sunday. The jerk that is our realtor is a drunk, can't drive until he goes to court to get a work permit. He told us last week that he's going on a two week vacation. The next night DH said he knew where J??? is going on vacation. On the front page of the paper was the article about him driving drunk and getting into a one car accident. I emailed him and asked when our house was going to be in the paper, when our open house will be, etc. He said last week-end, duh! That didn't happen, too bad we signed a contract with him for 3 months.
P.S. Freda, what's WNL mean? Colonoscopy's are no big deal. It's the crap you have to drink the day before thats awful, Take the day off.

Dee...crossing my fingers for DH's treatment tomorrow.

Rosey...stay cool

Isabella...guess what I made in the crock pot today? Fresh raspberry and apricot Crisp. I had one container of frozen apples left from last year I threw in too. Turned out really good.

Rie...I have purchased the brown sugar splenda before I got smart. Now I just use 1/2 splenda and 1/2 brown sugar, same thing.
Mary...we haven't been to the fireworks for years. I mentioned before how high up our acreage is, well ............we can see Albert Lea's fireworks, Hollandales fireworks and some of the really high fireworks from Austin. No fighting the crowds or mosquitoes. Not nearly as spectacular as being there but I can be in my jammies
Hi anyone I missed, time to brush my teeth and do the crossword puzzle from the newspaper. We were thinking of cancelling our paper but decided that was going too far.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 07-04-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #64  
Bobbi

K3...forgot to ask, what's going on with the dog pack? And happy 4th to you too.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #65  
Empress/Queen

Deelee, best of luck to your dh on starting his treatment.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #66  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG’s,

Three days down ~ one to go. The last couple haven’t been too bad ~ a couple have run a little late, but the day leading up to the end of the day wasn’t bad.

Biggest problem lately has been people and their fragrances. Perfumes and colognes and sprays. I talked to one lady a while back and she was very nice about it, but lately had been using some kind of spray, so I had to ask her again. I hate having to do that ~ wish they just wouldn’t use the stuff. The last couple days it has been one of the doctors. None of these things smell bad ~ I guess I am allergic or sensitive to the smell. I get all stuffed up and then it turns into a headache. Makes me want to rip my eye ball out. I don’t have the nerve to say anything to the doctor. I told the charge nurse that if I just all of a sudden disappeared, it was because I needed to leave the area until that doctor went away ~ hopefully I can avoid the headache. Someday I feel like going home sick ~ maybe then someone would get the message.

A few comments ~

Dee ~ hope all goes well for your DH and his treatments. Regarding the battle of the thermostat ~ one thing that helps me at bed time is to tell DH that when it is too hot I can’t sleep well ~ and if I can’t sleep, I can’t go to work. That works ~ heaven forbid anything should keep me from bringing home a paycheck ~ LOL.

Freda ~ like Bobbi said ~ the colonoscopy itself isn’t bad, it is having to drink that stuff. I wish they could figure out a way to do it with a prep that had less volume to drink. That is the part that gets me. It doesn’t taste bad, but having to force yourself to drink a whole gallon of stuff ~ geesh.

K3 ~ happy 4th of July to you too.

On the topic of working out and sweating. DH (poor man ~ how can he be such a ding-a-ling) suggested that I should go to the “Y” on my way to work because that is what his brother does. Right ~ brother probably has to take a comb and a tooth brush (sorry, I exaggerate). I would have to take a hair dryer, curling iron and curling bursh, plus a lot of other stuff ~ that is just way too much trouble to go to ~ like Rie said ~ it is just easier to do it at home.

Lynn ~ thank you for letting us know you are ok ~ you know how we worry

Mary ~ glad you are having a nice day. Enjoy the fireworks.

Donna ~ thank you for checking on Lynn for us. Glad it was a little cooler for you ~ hope your weather fools are right and that you will have a pleasant couple weeks.

Bobbi ~ is your doctor related to Rosey’s Dr. Turd? At 127, can’t he see you are doing something right. All the activity you do counts ~ it doesn’t have to be traditional exercise to benefit you or count.

Am2 ~ glad you enjoyed your early morning hike.

Ginger ~ sorry for the heart ache with your son. Glad you felt comfortable enough to share. These ladies are awesome at comforting each other.

Rie ~ did you get to take your boat out again? Good thoughts for your Endo tomorrow.

Cajun ~ congrats on the 3 pound loss. I love the spaghetti squash. Wonder if I could use it to make a kind of version of a pasta salad?

Isabella ~ sounds like you had a fun shopping trip

Rosey ~ glad Steve is feeling better. That should make it nice for you as you won’t have to be swinging that rolling pin around.

Guess I’d better wind things up here. Gotta go load the dish washer. DH usually does that, but he has not been feeling very good the last few days, so I told him I would do it. He burns the candle at both ends and insists that he gets enough rest, but I think he doesn’t ~ then ends up paying for it. Why oh why won’t he listen?????

Sorry ~ I have probably left people out, but am out of time ~ will have to catch up another time.

Rest well all.

Last edited by glynne; 07-04-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #67  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Nothing to report on the pack. I think they are keeping the dogs at the sons. But the owner foul mouth a$$ drives by our house daily on a motorcycle reving the motor and giving the house a nonmilitary salute! We have film over our window glass so he can't see us. Apparently hasn't gotten the fine yet. Things will change. k3
Old 07-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #68  
Want to feel better

K3 ~ oh my gosh ~ what a jerk. Glad the dogs are not around, wish he would disappear too.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #69  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning GG's

It rained most yesterday evening, hail and lightening, thunder rolling.. Much needed. Sorry to say it didn't cool off that much. It's supposed to continue to be in the high 90's-100 untill the weekend. Can't come fast enough for me. The Grands are gone and the house is too quiet again.

WDL means (within desired limits).

Gayle, I know the colonoscopy isn't that bad. Don't know why I dread it so much. Maybe don't want to face the results? No news is good news? silly, isn't it?

Karen3, Too bad YOU are the ones that have to make the changes when it's the neighbors who cause the problems.

Bobbi, I'm a jump right in and get involved kind of person too. I can't seem to do things half way.

Dee, Prayers for you and DH. Get some good books on tape to keep you company on the drive and something to keep you busy while he is having the treatment. I'm saving a couple of book tapes for our vacation that I know DH will like too. They really make a trip much easier.

Everyone, have a great day,

Freda
Old 07-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #70  
Want to feel better

Good morning all,

Freda ~ I know ~ I dread it too ~ silly of me. What is making me drag my feet about it, is the prep. My dr back in NC had a prep where you only had to drink 1/2 the amount of fluid as the golytely (1 gallon) prep. And it cleaned me out just fine. The dr down here (I know his prep because he is at our hospital and I see what he writes for our patients) does the gallon jug of stuff prep. I want my previous prep, but don't know if they would let me do it.

I am having thoughts foreign to me ~ to eat light ~ and not let the desire to munch take over. Lately the desire to feel better is sometimes winning out over wanting to munch (eating just because I feel like I want to and not because I am hungry). When I just stuff my face because I have the munchies, I end up feeling like poo. Hope this continues.

And, the quantities I eat at some meals (which don't seem so out of line) like a sandwich and a little dish of fruit for my work lunch, seem to make me feel too full and a little yucky after. I am trying out cutting back on the portion sizes and see how that works.

I feel pretty good the last couple mornings ~ that also is foreign to me. I wonder if because I have been feeling yucky so much of the time recently ~ that when I just feel so-so that it feels wonderful. I'll take it.

Ok, gotta quit fooling around and get dressed and head out to work. One more day to go ~ then off tomorrow. Yippee.

Hope you all have a good day.

Take care
Old 07-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #71  
Bobbi

Good Morning girls....hope you're all keeping cool. Gayle/Glynne...sorry to hear about your sensitive nose. I think many people have this problem, including me. Twice I had to work while they were installing new carpets in the company. It wasn't the new carpet smell that made me sick but the glue. I had the worst nauseating headache from it and strong perfumes do me in too. I don't understand why people have to take a bath in the stuff, makes you wonder what they are hiding? DH used to wear after shave before he retired, now he just smells like good old soap and water....so refreshing. As to not eating as much and feeling better, that's wonderful news.
Quote:
Biggest problem lately has been people and their fragrances. Perfumes and colognes and sprays. I talked to one lady a while back and she was very nice about it, but lately had been using some kind of spray, so I had to ask her again. I hate having to do that ~ wish they just wouldn’t use the stuff. The last couple days it has been one of the doctors. None of these things smell bad ~ I guess I am allergic or sensitive to the smell. I get all stuffed up and then it turns into a headache.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 07-05-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Gayle - I have the same problem with colognes and scented lotions. Also with some flowers. Some women at work used to bring flowers from their yard to work and put them in a vase on their desk. I got so sick one time my vision got blurry and I felt like I was going to faint.

Freda - I have never had a colonoscopy and maybe if I had I wouldn't have had the problem I did and end up with the colostomy. But I had heard that it's possible that they can nick your bowel when doing the colonoscopy and you can end up needing a colostomy. I ended up needing one anyway. If I had to go through that again I don't know what I would do. It was the worse thing that ever happened to me.

Dee - I hope your husband's treatment goes well. That is a long time to need treatment, but if it does the trick then it's worth it in the end.

I think it's good that you are slowing down your exercise and exercising for a longer period of time. I go long and slow and I am also sweaty when I'm finished.

Rosie - I'm glad to hear that your DH is doing better.

Bobbi - I agree with Gayle, that you are so physically active with your gardening and working on household projects that it is equal to formal exercise. Especially when doing things like helping put in new cabinets at your daughters house. I didn't help with ours, I watched! My step-son never sweats either, and he plays softball, etc. I think doctors get something in their head and then they are unable to see the big picture. When did our forefathers go jogging or lift weights? They did it throughout their day, working the farms etc.

Our local news channel is supposed to have a link on their website with more info about the computer problems on 7/9. I will try to find that link and come back with any information I can gather.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #73  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Oh, brother. I did a search and came up with a big long list of websites discussing the subject of the malware problem on July 9. I don't know if I will understand what they are even talking about.

http://www.ask.com/web?q=malware%20c...2&geo=US&ver=5

Edited : I clicked on this website and if you scan down to where it says How to Tell If My Computer is Infected or some such heading, there are 2 links of tests to tell if your computer is ok or not. Both said my computer was ok, but I don't know if these are legit or not. I might be doing more harm than good. YIKES!

http://www.squidoo.com/how-to-detect...hanger-malware

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-05-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #74  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Hello goldies. Yesterday was a really nice day. My dh and I met some friends at their camp and sat on dock and visited and fished. Lunch was light. I was so glad for that. There was nothing temping. We have not seem these friends since the winter and they commented on my weight loss. Yayee!!!! We were too tired to go to the firework show in the next town. My ds and all his friends and their girls cooked at our house on the patio and popped firecrackers on Wednesday so I saw all the fireworks I needed besides I had to work today. I wish holiday would have been on Friday or Monday. Would have had a long weekend. The bright side is today feels like Monday and tomorrow is Friday. Lol short week.

Isabella I have the stainless shakers like that and I like them too especially the big handles.

Bobbi congrats on your good blood results. Phooey on that grumpy doctor. Someone said something about the old people never doing exercise but just plain old hard work. Gardening is not easy. I don't think them doctors know everything like they say they do. Sometimes mother nature is best.

Deelee I also hate sweating. I have long thick hair so washing everyday is a problem for me too. I jog on my mini trampoline inside my home in front of a fan. It helps. Did you enjoy the firework show. Hope all is well with your dh treatments. I will keep him in my prayers.

Maryea I'm glad you like your new sham. Your old one might show up later. Did you enjoy your firework show?

Ginger I hate rainy days. It also make me feel lazy. Congrats on keeping your calories in control. Don't worry about venting now and then. We are here for help. I'm praying for you.

Rie did you enjoy your boating trip. We rode the boat too. Such fun. Good luck with your endoscopy.

Hi Rosey

Amarantha sound like lots of fun on your morning trail run with friends.

Carol Sue I've never heard sweating remove toxins. Tell me more.

Lynn it's good to hear from you. Come back more often. We miss you.

Freda. My dh and I just did routine colonoscopys. We prepped with miralax and dulcalax and gatoraid. We didn't have to drink that gallon of stuff they normally give which was good but it was still hard drinking when you were so bloated. But the procedure was nothing. So good luck.

Gayle I'm like that with cigeratte smoke. It's horrible. I was very surprised with the spagetti squash. I would loved to make a diet friendly fetticune sauce. Send some of those positive feelings my way. I could use them on weekends

Karen fl I'm glad you are not having anymore problems with them nasty dogs. Some people are so rude. I would never be that disrespectful to anyone. But I guess that's the way I was raised.

To everyone else hello. Hope y'all had a good day.
Hugs
Cajun
T
Old 07-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #75  

Height: 5'3"

We had a nice time at the fort watching the fireworks. The show was a little different this year and very pretty. I know I ate way too much...haven't checked my bs...what's the use, I know it's high. Will just try to do better today. I had a hamburger (no cheese), shared cheetos and later a smaller bag of caramel corn with dh...they didn't have the Splenda kind and I wanted something sweet. Even though it was the small size it was pretty big. I rarely feel stuffed anymore but I kinda did last night.

I had a little trouble walking back to the bus carrying the blanket and two bags (one my purse). The walk is kinda on an incline and a lot through thick grass. I was quickly short of breath and my chest was hurting. I'm sure it was my hernia though not my heart. Even when we got on flat and easier terrain I remained sob for a while and noticed my heart was racing so I was glad when we got on the bus. By the time I got home I was just really tired. Dh was tired when we got home but otherwise fine...funny how I can walk much faster than him on the track or the treadmill but can't handle this kind of thing. During the night I woke up aware that my mouth was open and I was making a stange sound, like wind whirling around inside me and sorta whistling. Wierd I know but I have had something similar happen a couple times although I never related it to my hernia before, but afterwards I had discomfort just below the sternum and I had that one of the other times. I remembered I'd forgotten to take my Omeprazol so I got up and took it then and I was able to get back to sleep. So strange night but I think I must have eaten more than usual and with having the hernia already it just made things worse. I think I learned my lesson!

When we got home we noticed water running from our yard. Dh checked and didn't seem to be from the water main, so perhaps there was a fire from the fireworks set off in the cul-de-sac. We found some of the fireworks debris in our yard but that is not unusual on the holiday. No signs of fire. We were concerned about a fire because there is an empty house across from us and the bank is not taking care of the yard...high weeds, low hanging evergreens, lots of trees around it and the neighbors on that side. A fire cracker, match or cigarette could cause the whole neighborhood to go up in flames, so I called the bank this morning and asked them to please take care of this at least for the summer when we don't get as much rain.
I hope they will respond quickly.

Glynne - I am sensitive to smells too...even very nice fragrances can give me a headache. Coffee is another culprit. It is strange because some perfumes don't bother me at all. I don't notice the stuffiness you mentioned but I get a headache and if it continues nausea. I hope the lady will stop using the fragrance that bothers you. My dh stopped wearing cologne for me however I still wear a little myself now and then. It bothers me slightly but only briefly.

Freda/Glynne - The colonoscopy isn't nearly the ordeal it used to be. Back in the 70s it was terrible! But now they give you a sedative and it's not bad.
The prep is the nasty part.

Bobbi - Wish I lived close to you and you'd let us watch the fireworks from your place! Sounds great!! For my part, I'd be happy to stay home...if I want to watch, there's plenty of pretty ones the neighbors set off to suit me, but dh has always been really keen on fireworks, so we go every 3 years or so to see the big show.

Dee - That's so sad about the boys being shot. We hear a lot of that happening here too although not connected to the fireworks show that I remember. More in Portland than where I live but we have our share of these tragedies over here too seems like more all the time. What a world...so wonderful in some ways, so bad in others...

Well, I need to get to work...we both have lots to do here at home, and since we overslept we didn't go to the gym. It's a beautiful dayI hope you are all having a good day. I may get back with the book excerpts later on..

Last edited by maryea; 07-05-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Closed Thread