Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #301  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Still flying by....still weird sunny and instant rain days down here. It is bright sunshine now with thunder rumbling I think out in the Gulf. Had 2" of water on Lanai yesterday. Thank goodness for the water snake sucker uppers. Need to order some new ones.

Bobbie...Bucket List was a movie with Jack Nickolson and Morgan Freeman based on a bucket list of 1000 things to do before you die.

And about tonic.....gesh girls No Fun No Gin! Beer with tonic No Way! k3
Old 07-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #302  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Just a quick one....

Thanks for the well wishes.

Bobbi, smoothie ingredients: cocoa powder with sweetener, a bit of sf choc pudding mix (adds thickness and taste) NF dry milk, instant coffee for mocha. I also add yogurt sometimes or almond milk. I have never liked slim fast but I like chocolate and mocha taste so I use these other chocolate substitutes. Experiment - I know that you will find a recipe that you like.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:37 AM   #303  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Bobbi ~ I think I remember reading somewhere that the term "bucket list" came from ~ when someone was trying to kill themselves by hanging, standing on a bucket and then kicking it out so they would hang ~ kick the bucket......
Old 07-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #304  

Slept in this morning...dh asked if I was going to the gym..and while I was still thinking about it, he decided to stay home and work. He's rebuilding the fence/gate on one side of our house now as the old gate was not in good shape and we don't need such a large gate now that we don't have a RV. I'm still trying to decided about going to the gym..I have to go grocery shopping so perhaps I will stop and work-out a little on the way there. I don't get really sweating so it's not a problem that way, but the gym may be very crowded now.

Donna - Move up here to the NW...much better. No extreme temperatures...you just have to get used to cloudiness and rain much of the year. You may remember this was our first winter to stay up here in several years, and it actually wasn't that bad...just enough to make you look forward to our nice summer.

Cajun - The gin and sprite with a cherry sounds good! I used to like Gin when I was young and going to clubs. I rarely drink anymore and I don't miss it, but I do like a mixed drink now and then. I just figure it's not something I crave that much and its just more calories, and carbs to deal with. The cramps only last for a while..a very painful "while" but when they are gone, they are gone until next time. My labs are all good so perhaps it is just poor muscle tone, I don't know. I had no trouble last night..I took some Tums for my GERD symptoms and Tyl PM for my aches and pains and slept pretty well last night.

Bobbi - What about using Carnation Instant Breakfast, or does buying that defeat your purpose? I don't like the stuff but it might make it taste more like Slim-fast combined with the fiber. Just a thought.

Rie - I'm worried about you. Glad you're seeing the doctor again...maybe he gave you the wrong antibiotic. Sometimes they give you a broad spectrum antibiotic and you need something more specific for the particular bug. I hope you can get it sorted out and feel better soon.

Well, I'd better get to going or I'll never get anything done...
Old 07-25-2012, 12:44 AM   #305  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Hello Goldens.

I got a new antibiotic and some new ointment at the dr today and I already am feeling a little better. Still running a fever but it is better. He thinks that this may have started with a spider bite oh my - the only creature that scares me.

Mary, my best friend, may she rest in peace, lived in Seattle for a while and i loved to visit her. However, I will deal with the heat because I NEED these big open skies and the rolling prairie. Too many trees there for me.... I can't breathe

Donna, love, I hope your swamp cooler is doing it's job. I am dreading the power bill this month as the air conditioner has been roaring every day. Even though I live in MT, it actually takes more money to cool my house than I spend for heat in winter. I bet you can relate.

Gayle, I think you are right about where the bucket of the bucket list came from. I have a ton of things left on mine - I hope I have enough time.

Karen, what the ___ is a snake sucker upper? My horrified imagination runs wild and I have never learned to like gin. Who was that guy on tv??? "ever eat a pine tree? many parts are edible...." You have your gin and I will have my shots of jose quervo and we will have a good ole time.

Freda, I hope your pain is going away. People seldom have an appreciation for how physical nursing is. Get better.

Bobbi, how are you doing with a smoothie recipe? You always have the best recipes. I actually thought that the crazy looked a little catatonic in court. Maybe it is the social worker in me - in my experience lots of people who go through a wacko episode then seem to be exhausted afterward. I agree with Donna that he is not medicated yet. I am angry and saddened by how much destruction one person can do . My prayers are with the victims.

Puneri, I don't get much from melatonin but I often take valerian root - another natural sleep aid. I often take help to sleep.

CarolSue, I like a small, low carb serving of dairy before bed. I swear it helps me to rest better.

Lynn, do you know anything more about your dd hyperthyroidism? Is this the runner?

Marie, I miss you too. Are you traveling soon?

Bobbi, sorry, I just saw your post again - you don't eat chocolate. I still like the sf pudding mixes with plain yogurt as a base. It makes them filling. My ds likes to add small amounts of fruits with a vanilla pudding base. He saves little bits of fruits and puts them in a bag in the freezer and then just puts some in the blender. Too many carbs for me but they are good. Frozen banana's are also wonderful. Another use for almost too ripe bananas.

Cajun, that is great that someone noticed your weight loss - and in a flattering way. Good for you!

Well, lovelies, I know that I am missing some but time for bed. Pool league tomorrow will mean that I will be on the go from early morning till after midnight.

Rie

Bobbi
Old 07-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #306  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Update on my carob smoothies, YUM!
I made carob powder mixed with a bit of hot water, cooled down and added to 8oz. skim milk, 1 teaspoon psyllium husk and stevia. I have those baking cup cake forms (oven proof plastic type) The smoothie fills 4 cup cake forms, then frozen. Yesterday when I made a smoothie, I threw in the 4 frozen concoctions, 1 frozen banana and about 1/2 cup cool water to get the mixture going in the blender. Then after the frozen banana and carbob are smooth, I add about 6 ice cubes. This make a huge glass of very thick shake. I think I could live on these. I made 3 variations of this, will try another one today. Adding some instant coffee to the mixture is a good idea Rie. I have a really sturdy, heavy duty blender to get thru all this frozen mix and it helps having the carob frozen into 4 sections. What would happen if I froze it in yogurt instead of skim milk? hmmmmmmmmmm....guess I'll just have to try it. Putting ice in will thicken it up just like the sf pudding and no added calories.
We''re still getting raspberries so today I'll make some raspberry frozen smoothies for future use.
This cheap skate mode is quite fun Mary. Who'd thunk?
Thanks for the 'bucket list' thought. I saw the movie with Jack Nickolson but must have missed that part about the bucket list.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #307  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Morning....another weird day here. Sunny with thunder rumbling. Still better than a hurricane. DH wants to go out to dinner Saturday night and I decided it is such a nasty celebration we're going whole hog. 72/75! Gave him 3 choices and will stop by the bank to take out a wee loan. 1st Old World which is German food. 2nd Isaak Walton Lodge which is old Fl kitchen. 3rd Horse and Hound which is in horse country but don't serve horse meat. letting him make final choice.

Rie....the snake sucker uppers are tubes of some kind of absorbent material that look like draft stoppers. They literally suck up all the rain water. Dry out and reuse. They sell them in those strange cataloges you get in the mail. Some of mine are 7yrs old and still work but look pretty ugly. I store them in a milk crate for air but occasionally will grow a hugh mushroom. My own science project. Beats mopping up the porch floor.

Ladies Ladies....the point of the drink was to get the TONIC in Mary, not the gin. Maybe she could make her smoothie with tonic...make ice cubes with tonic water....They stopped selling quinine tablets but it is still in tonic. Too much quinine will cause you heart problems but guess you explode before you drank that much tonic.

Off to bridge...k3
Old 07-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #308  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Hey y'all, today is going to be a good day I hope. I did my exercise this morning and I feel good. It's been awhile since I can say that. I'm praying I can jump start my weight loss and speed it up. I need to go grocery shopping after work. With all the rain we have been getting the grass is thriving. Going to cut it tomorrow afternoon. Or maybe today and groceries tomorrow. They are giving large chances of rain for the weekend so I better get it done. Dh is still working on mil house.

Jess1 I rather winter than summer any day. I hate being hot.

Bobbi- I don't think it's a plateau. I think it's because I haven't felt good enough to exercise this last few weeks. But I'm better and I did exercise this morning. So let's hope this works. I have made a few baby quilts. But my mil makes the tops all the time. She has her lady friends come over and they put the cotton and backs on and quilt them in 2 to 3 days depending on the size. I have so many quilts she has made for us. She's 80 years old and has made a quilt for our sons when they get married. She also made a boy and girl quilt for each of their babies when they have children. Just in case she's not with us anymore. They are going to be cherished mementos when she's gone. Quilts last forever.

Karen fl- yesterday was our first day without rain in a week.

Rie- I'm glad you are feeling better now maybe you can enjoy your party. Yikes
Spider! I'm scared of the brown recluse spiders. They can do a lot of damage.

Maryea- I would love to sleep on. I can't during the week because of work and on weekends my dh is an early riser and the minute his feet hit the floor I'm awake even though he tries not to wake me. That's usually around 5 or 530. Grrrrrrrrrrrr lol

In a hurry. Hello to all!
Hugs
Cajun
Old 07-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #309  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All

KarenFL – didn’t they use those snake sucker thingies with the gulf oil spill? I remember these weird looking things sucking up the oil. The name certainly sounds bad, yes? You made me laugh about getting the tonic INTO Mary and the gin making it more palatable! I think you’d be great fun, and I’d love to meet you in person!!

I was interested to see that so many people repeated what I’d already said about the origin of “bucket list”… either no one reads other people’s posts or you really can believe it, Bobbi! Sometimes I think we’re a monologue on here!

Mary – I would love to live in your neck of the woods! I have friends in both Oregon (Corvallis) and in Washington (Olympia). It looks so beautiful, and I would love the cooler temps. I think I’d be happy in Alaska or Mackinaw Island in the winter! It isn’t too bad here IF I can stay inside. There’s a/c at work, and the swamp cooler does a good job at home, most of the time. I was at GM’s yesterday and started streaming sweat from the heat in just a very few minutes. It just makes me very sick to my stomach.

Rie – I’m so glad you’re feeling better! I was interested to read about the small serving of carbs before bed idea. If I have it in the house, a serving of instant oatmeal about ½ hour before bed puts me out like a baby. Conversely, if I eat too many carbs during the day or early evening, I have nightmares and very poor sleep. Weird…

Cajun – there seem to be several of us who really hate and detest the heat! Has it gotten worse for you as you’ve gotten older? For me, it just seems like the heat starts earlier and lasts longer, not necessarily that it’s worse (although I know the average temps are higher than they used to be). I think I just like to start moaning and whining about April!

Day off today. GM had her second cataract surgery yesterday and has her follow up doc appointment later this morning. I hope the surgery does well for her. She’s a quilter and an avid reader; it would be nice if she could do that again, comfortably!

Freda – how’s your poor back/pulled muscles? Take care of yourself!

Rosey, Gayle, CK, anyone and everyone I’ve missed, hola! Hope you all have a good Wednesday! Later, lovelies!

Last edited by jess1; 07-25-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #310  
Am I there yet?

S/C/G: 198/152/maintaining

Height: 5'7"

Hello all,

I'm in Pennsylvania and the day is beautiful here, 78 and sunny. Things are green since the recent rain. Unfortunately, I'm stuck in work and can only enjoy it through the window. Weightwise I'm stuck in a plateau. At least I was until I gained half a pound. I'm blaming PMS for it since I've been sticking to SB religiously. Why are the last 10 pounds so hard?
Old 07-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #311  

I got a pretty good sleep last night again...my back was hurting while watching TV so I took a muscle relaxant and some Motrin which helped and probably also helped me sleep. Was awake from 5-6 but got back to sleep and didn't get up until 9. Yes, Cajun I know I'm very fortunate to be able to do that. We have some guys coming to install the garage door opener this morning. Dh tried it and realized that now because of his leg he needs help. The only help he had in the past was me and I'm not a lot of help. It's really a 2 man job. I told him it was worth spending the money for him not to get injured. So I guess he is willing to get help when he realizes it's too much for him...sometimes it just takes him a while to get there. Yesterday was another bad eating day. For some crazy reason we bought pizza last night for dinner...why I don't know because I KNOW if I have a large pizza (the cheapest for some wierd reason!) I will eat at least three slices!! Which I did. At least I didn't eat any snacks last night and my weight stayed the same but it is still at the high end because of days like this. If I could just have a week of good eating maybe I'd move it down. DH and I decided that from now on the only pizza we will eat is a slice when we are out which we split. And of course, I was so busy gobbling down the pizza I didn't even think of searching for the false belief that was causing it! The only good thing I can say about yesterday dietwise was that I did go to the gym..by myself, in the middle of the day even. I walked the track for 10 min and rode a bike for 28 min at 7 then went shopping at two stores. I was so tired and hurting last night but my back was better this morning.

Karen3 - The OTC med I take does have quinine in it. I know they don't sell it like they used to as apparently it can be dangerous. I don't know how much my pills have but they do work and pretty quickly too. I like that I don't have to wake up too much to take it...I usually have it nearby (not the other night though!) and just quickly get up swallow one with water and back to bed I go. It usually starts relieving the cramp within seconds, sometimes a bit longer. Occaisonally the cramp is already so bad I can't get out of bed so I try to keep the med where dh can easily find it for me. I searched and searched for that other bottle and can't find it so I don't know what happened to it...I am sure I hadn't used it all. Since these things go in cycles I really don't use it that often. But I gave up so I'm going to buy another bottle so I have one in my suitcase and one handy at night all the time.

Stephmar - Have you been here before? I'm sorry if I've forgotten or missed you somehow or maybe just forgot (I'm very forgetful!) but welcome! Glad to have you posting. Looks like you're doing good with your weight...I know plateaus are frustrating, but hang in there. I'm trying to get started again. I'm learning a lot and inwardly am getting better but so far not showing much on the scale yet, just basically stable.

Bobbi - Glad you found a shake you can live with! We lived very tight while paying off debt and building our EF and buffer. Not so much now, but we are still very careful about our spending. I could spend more than I do and maybe should on things like clothes but I just can't get myself to do it. I'm out of the habit of shopping and spending I guess.

Rie - Glad you have an antibiotic that is helping you now!! My oldest gd recently was bitten by a spider and it got infected too. She sent me pics and was asking my advice. It really looked terrible (like cellulitis) but is almost healed now but she too had to take an antibiotic.

Well better get going with my day ...all I've done is clean the bathrooms and make our bed so far. Going to put in a load of laundry then may go to the gym. I think I'd better clean out the fridge too as I smell a bad smell in the kitchen! I hate it when that happens!

Last edited by maryea; 07-25-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #312  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Welcome steph. I would love to trade weather. I'll have to wait until late October to get your kind of weather. I have yet to reach my goal so I wouldn't understand how hard it is to lose the last few lbs. But I have reached a plateau lately after 5 months of good weight loss and it's so hard not making progress like I was. But I can say that through this plateau I have not once given up or wanted to quit. Just having those feeling is a great reward. I've never been so determined in my life. I can't go back ever. I gave all 5 garbage bags of clothes that don't fit to good will. So I would have nothing to wear. Lol. Keep going. You will beat the plateau. The whole time you are on plateau you are not going backwards. That's progress to me.

Hugs
Cajun
Old 07-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #313  
Am I there yet?

S/C/G: 198/152/maintaining

Height: 5'7"

Maryea, I've been here since May off and on but just started posting. So you have had no memory lapse.

Cajun, we lived in Durham, NC for about 8 years. I'm not a big fan of the hot, hot summer and it was hot enough for me there. I know what you mean about lack of clothes. SB has such quick weight loss (to me a couple of pounds a week is pretty quick) I'm constantly putting my clothes into the basement in my fat clothes bag. I must have given whole wardrobes to Goodwill and Salvation army at least 10 times. I bought new jeans a bit small so hopefully I can fit in them when I reach my goal weight.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #314  

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

It's really a lovely day! I was surprised. Last night, 8PM, we went to DGS's baseball game and I wore a sleeveless top, and I had to go to the car and get a blanket. It's been awhile since I've had to do that. Today the windows are open and we have a slight breeze. Feels so nice after all that hot weather. Didn't do much today. A little housework. Took some things back to the store. I don't like to try things on in the store and so I end up taking a lot of things back. Grocery shopping later. I made dinner last night and there were leftovers! yeah!! no cooking either.

Donna, My arm is still getting numb at times, and my shoulder is tight. I'm sure a pulled muscle. Not too uncomfortable. I'll ask the Dr. tomorrow for some muscle relaxers. I have to work, and I'm hoping one of the good doctors is there. I hope GM eye surgery works well. it should, and it makes such a difference. My grandma had cataracts but her health was so bad the last few years they couldn't take her in for the surgery. she was almost blind when she passed away. It would have made such a difference for her. She loved to watch Kentucky play basketball.

Hi Steph, I'm sorry, I don't remember you either. But you are so welcome. Please come back often and get to know us. No matter what it sounds like today, I'm not usually this whinney. We all hit those plateau's and they are so annoying. But if you keep doing what you know is right, the weight loss will re-start.

Cajun, Another person to join Donna and I, who hate hot weather.

Carol Sue, I recommend a small helping of carbs before bed too. It's supposed to help. I try everything, anything. I have such a hard time sleeping. the melatonin has never helped me.

Rie, I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling better. Even if you're feeling better, a little temp still makes you feel pretty rotten. I think I'll take your advice and try the Valerin. I've tried everything else. Good luck with pool.

Karen3, All the restaurants sound interisting. Which one would you prefer?

Bobbi, I bought a heavy-duty blender for smoothies too. I had one before that just didn't work well. I don't make them often, i'd much rather eat my calories. but the kids love them, and it's a good way to sneak some fruit into their diet.

Everyone, have a great day,

Freda
Old 07-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #315  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Hi Gals. I'm back home again and just finished reading the pages and pages I missed while I was away from an internet connection. I'll be back later on to post more.
Closed Thread