Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 03:52 AM   #166  

S/C/G: 306/253/205

Height: 5' 10"

Default Back home & Still Loosing

Hello everyone, it is good to be home again! So glad to see this thread still going and see that there are new people joining us! Welcome, I look forward to getting to know you.

We left in a hurry the first of June to go see our daughter up north, 2 days drive away. She has MS (multiple sclerosis) and has been in a nursing home for 4 years already and is totally dependant, unable to do anything at all. We went because she lost the ability to speak and we needed to see her and reassure her of our unconditional love. It is very emotional because she chose to disappear from our lives for 17 years and we did not know if she was dead or alive. Until 2 years ago this July when she asked the nurses to find us, due to medications or the progress of the MS we do not know what changed her mind and attitudes. We are just so thankful to have our daughter back in our lives and know that God does answer our prayers.

So traveling, living in motels, cooking some meals and eating out quite regular was stressful. Trying to watch all the foods and make " wise choices"
turned into a exercise of keeping a journal of every bite and drink, so I could stay on track. This is the first time in my life that I traveled with a weight scale... lol I weighed myself each morning and did not obsess if it went up a little. Just stuck to the plan as best as possible. Most incredible " it is 4 months and I'm still off Insulin with good blood glucose levels", my doctor is excited also.

It's been 6 weeks and I lost each week we were away, a little .4 of a pound one week and up to 1.8 pounds another, I am so excited and grateful!

Highest weight: 337 10 years ago

Last edited by lilywinsit; 07-13-2012 at 03:54 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:48 AM   #167  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Oh Lily ~ I am sorry about your daughter's health condition. So glad for you though that she decided to get back in touch with you ~ that would be such a hard thing to have your child disappear and not know where they were or how they were. Thank you to God for answering prayers.

So glad to see you back though and what an awesome job you have done (now and in the past as well) with your weight loss. And to maintain while away from home and having such a stressful emotional time.

Way to go on still being off the insulin.

What a nice picture of you ~ it is nice to have a face to go with the name.

Last edited by glynne; 07-13-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #168  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

T.G.I.F.
Name 3 goals for today, Friday. Come back tomorrow and let us know if you accomplished them. I can, I can, I can. Then pat yourself on the back.
My goal for today:
1. Sew padded pillow for top of bench (Charlie puts his front paws on it to look out the window, getting scratched) Yes, all done

2. 8 glasses of water...Yup, went to the bathroom many times to prove it.

3. Wash one load of laundry/look up new low calorie recipe for Antelope. Load out on clothes lines, dried and DH took in and folded everything, put it away. (I'm gonna keep him)
I dumped a can of caraway sour kraut over the antelope roast and threw in the crock pot. It was very tender.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 07-13-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #169  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Goals:
1) be a little ray of sunshine at work
2) stay away from the boss' german chocolate birthday cake
3) stay cool!

Hope you all have a lovely day! Later, lovelies!

Last edited by jess1; 07-13-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #170  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning GG's,

It has gotten hot again. It's only 9 and it's sweltering already. I won't be getting out any more than necessary today, that's for sure! I watered the plants as soon as I got up, got it out of the way.

Karen3, I really like fried summer squash and zucchini fried with onion. Yummy. And my friend in Nevada says the same thing you do. Their growing season is over, things fry this time of year. And you can never go wrong with vegetable soup, even when it's hot. Makes a good, quick, healthy lunch and makes it easier to get your veggies in.

Gayle, I'm so glad you wrote that Dr. up. He needs to be reprimanded. There is no excuse for that kind of behavior.

Bobbi, How was your cinnamon raisin bread? Sounds yummy.

Rie, Have a good time on your trip. Sounds like you will have the choice of spots, since you will get there first. Are you going to be in a camp or out in the wild. Did you take bear spray? ha! I know you are one happy mama that your son got accepted to the program. I had an experience simular to yours, with the keys lost in the bottom of the purse. I had a little tear in the lining of the pocket where I kept my keys and somehow they found it. I looked forever and, finally, like you, I put my purse down on soemthing and heard it clink.

Dee, I was thinking the same thing about your husband as Bobbi. Men are funny about admitting any kind of weakness, especially being scared. And he's got to be right now. The rest of the stuff just chalk up to having the man DNA.

HI Isabella. I haven't had rubarb in years. I remember picking a stalk out of my grandma's garden and eating it with salt. She used to make a sauce with it, served it over lots of desserts.

Mary, Your post about not eating food that doesn't taste great is my philosopy too. Most things aren't "great". People are always bringing things in to work. And I am tempted always. If I decided (and it's a concious decision) to eat something, I take one bite and decided if it's worth the calories. Most of the time it's not. I know we've been conditioned not to throw food out, but would you rather wear it?

Ginger, I've tried meditating a few times. I just can't do it. I just start planning things in my head. Grocery lists, things I need to do....one of the doctors at work said to concentrate in breathing throught one nostral and then the other. Still didn't work for me. But I do think it is very beneficial.

Karen, Sorry your aunt isn't feeling well. She is luck to have you to help her out.

Amara, I think of the scale as a tool also. I use it sparingly, but I think it's necessary. Weighing every day would drive me crazy, because there is always some change, usually temporary. but you do need to catch a weight gain before it gets out of hand.

Lily, so sorry to hear about your daughter, but thank God she finally called and let you know where you were. And you are so dedicated to be able to stick to a diet with the stress and traveling! You are one determined lady. Is there a possibility that you could have your daughter moved to a nursing home closer to where you live?

Goals: exercise in spite of the heat
get my 6 servings of vegetables
make a real effort not to complain about the heat

Last edited by the slim me; 07-13-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #171  
Bobbi

Freda...I never made the cinnamon raisin bread. Yesterday we went to the organic food coop and I went nuts in the flour section. I purchase among other flours some 7-Grain bread flour. They had a recipe posted right on the container which I used. It was really good but way too heavy for me. DH wanted tuna sandwiches last night for supper with some left-0ver potato salad I made a couple of days ago. I made two sandwiches for him and one for me. I had all I could do to eat it, sooooooooooooo filling. I couldn't eat my potato salad after forcing down the sandwich. We loved the taste of the bread but next time I'm going to use 1/2 7-grain and 1/2 white flour.
Quote:
Bobbi, How was your cinnamon raisin bread? Sounds yummy.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #172  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Hello Gals. Friday is almost half over. I'm the furthest East in North America so of course I'm up before the rest of you (most days ). So for today I had a few things planned. I know I have 6 listed but that's what I had planned.

1. Wash and hang laundry ✔
2. Wash floors and tidy the kitchen, living & dining rooms
3. Clean bathroom
4. Unpack (finally) ✔
5. Hem DH's jeans
6. Alter MIL's slacks

As you can see, as the day is almost half over, I'm a bit behind but I'll get most of it done before bedtime.

Rie, $52 in quarters! No wonder your purse was heavy, LOL, it must have been like winning at poker. Hope you're having a nice restful weekend.

Karen31
, Sissy looks so cute in her birthday dress and hat. Did she get to eat cake?

I'd better get busy and clean that bathroom. Funny, I don't mind cleaning bathrooms but I don't like sewing. Guess, what may be left for another day???
Old 07-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #173  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Bobbi, I LOVE my bread machine. I'm on my 3rd. When one dies, I overnight another one from Amazon. I'd HATE to be without it. Buying store bought bread is now sacrilege.

Ginger, I like your new goals based on BMI. You'll leave the morbidly obese soon.

Cajun, I love sleeping on my stomach but have to now put a pillow under my stomach (where I used to have belly) to keep my lower back from being arched. To do that, I have to sort of wake up so I killed my bad habit (mostly) by losing weight.

Dee, at the DH humonoid without much emotion. "Loos very lifelike". You just cracked me up.

Donna, WTG on the 4# loss. I don't think I'd give up sugar, even if a gun was pointed to my head. And I'm so proud of you for hooking your new DVR up yourself. Resourceful to take a picture of the old one's wire hookups. Smartie pants.

YAY Gayle for filling out and turning in the complaint form about Dr. Arrogance.

Rie, great news for your son. I think IT is way more interesting than pharmacy stuff. Just my unbiased opinion.

KarenMO, Kai, Blizzie, Kodiak and Sasha all howled "Happy Birthday" to their girl-paw-friend, Miss Sissy. I do admit they giggled when they saw the getup you made the poor pup wear.

Lily, to you and your daughter. MS is an atrocious disease. I was blessed with a dear friend with the disease and I learned so much from her.

OK, Donna, "little ray of sunshine at work" Bad you, I was drinking my mocha and nearly spit it on my monitor. Yes, I'm being a ray of something at work, perhaps "lazy 3FC slug" and I want a slice of the boss's b-day cake. I LOVE German chocolate cake. I wonder if the boys (friend's 10 and 12 yo kids that are staying with my till Sunday would want to make some...). Again, bad you tempting my taste buds.

Freda, I can't meditate or relax while doing yoga. The mind is always racing.

Bobbi, I'd list 3 goals but that would encompass not being a slug. I'm in slug mode. But one goal is to find German Chocolate Cake. Bless you Donna for that idea.
Marie

Last edited by Marie; 07-13-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #174  

Height: 5'3"

Started the antibiotic for the UTI yesterday and this am I feel better!! So tired of not feel well so any improvement is wonderful. Besides the UTI symptoms being better, my neck and head feel better today too...my lower back is very stiff and sore but I think that will go away as I move around more. Dh went to the gym but I slept in til 10 am!! Guess I needed it. But now feel like my day's half over and I haven't done anything. It's a little cloudy today..no sun so far, but at least no rain.

Update on the septic tank: The guy came back and measured the water level. He said it dropped 20 inches in 24 hours so we definitely need to get it repaired. The cost will depend on what they find but he gave us what he thinks is a high estimate of $1000. That doesn't sound too bad to us and it may be less. Of course, it's possible when they get in the tank it will be different. The tank is 47 years old...I don't know how long they usually last but this is the first leak as far as we know and we've been here 35 years of that time.

Lynn - Please don't get another UTI just cause I did now!! We don't both have to go through this. Sorry, you know I'm joking but we so often go through the same things as you know and I really hope you don't have to do it again.

Marie - What kind of bread maker do you have? I have had a few and not been very happy with them. I always end up giving them away. Not sure we eat enough bread to make it worthwhile...know we'd eat more if I did bake it...not sure that's too good idea but we love it. Such a delimma!

Lily - I am so sorry about what you have and are going through with your dd. That just has to be so hard! We rarely see our oldest dd (47 going on 17)...but so far at least we do see her son (12) about once a year and we see their posts on FB sometimes. We love our dd so much and we keep trying but it's like she is so different now and it seems we have no common ground, and yet she will always be our dd and we love her very much. One of my greatest fears regarding her is that something will happen to her. I have told our gs to always let us know immediately if anything happens or even he just feels she (or he) needs us. I like what you said about assuring her of your unconditional love...that's what we are trying to show to our dd, but it is still very difficult at times as it seems no matter how hard we try she does not accept it. I feel God has assured me that in time she will be ok and most of the time I am able to rest about it and we continue to pray for her. I am very proud of you, Lilly, for taking care of your health and geting your BS so good. I know what a battle that must be too with all the emotional stuff going on. I'm glad you are back posting with us.

Karen31 - Feel sorry for your aunt! I have a partially herniated disc and am wondering if part of my pain is maybe coming from that. I hope she finds a doctor she likes that can help her. My sister had to have surgery but she still has a lot of pain so not sure how much help it was.

My goals for today:
1. Continue to feel better!
2. Focus on eating fewer carbs
3. Get more housework done today - I've been kinda slug-like too!

Last edited by maryea; 07-13-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #175  
Empress/Queen

Lily, I am new on this group so haven't "met" you before but your story touched me. I am sorry to read of your daughter's health problems but so happy that she is now a part of your life again. Blessings.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #176  

S/C/G: 279/223/132

Height: 5'1"

Good Evening GG's,

Finally starting to feel human again. No sleep last night do to hip & knee pain. When your right hip & knee and left knee & now my left ankle as well in pain it's hard to find position to be comfaortable and the DS and I don't mean darling, Was up making loud noise in room next to where I sleep. Any how, lots of catch up sleep today and morning headache is gone. I am through my 1st 3 weeks now and feel really good about that.

Karen: A done garden? I didn't know such a thing existed. Good for you. Tech stuff? That's what kids are for. I spend many nights & days reading for hours. I have 4-6 books going at once, 1 fiction and many non fiction from spiritual, biographies, garden-ecology-"new age", alternative health to weightloss. What do you like to read? Have a fav. author?

Bobbie: Finally our drought has eneded. Loving this rain and so is my garden.

Rie : 200 people! I didn't feed that many at my DD's wedding. With my sons work record since they left army I'm impressed with your son's getting in his school. Mine went through their army school money and still didn't end up with degrees, The've given up on full time jobs and are looking for part time now.

Mary & Dee : I so know what you mean about husbands not being social. Mine really fooled me. He's 17 yrs sober now-but all that social ability went with the alcohol, He just retired-layed off and a fellow worker called up and I heard him in the other room chatting away ( had only talked to DDs in last 8 mo.) I was so happy until he hung up & told me he hated it anf that "You have to talk and be nice" But he hates it. His job was very involved with the public and he was so good at it and i thought He loved people-Nope - he told me he hates peolpe and had to really push himself everyday To talk. Jeez, so many people think they are his friend and you should hear how he feels about them behind thier back. He only considers family worth talking to.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #177  

Height: 5'3"

Read through a few more posts.
Amara - I'm like you...the scale doesn't bother me. I use it as a tool and realize there will be ups and downs. But it does bother a lot of people emotionally.

Ginger - Actually my dh is social..hope I didn't seem to imply that he wasn't...cause he is actually much more social than I...always wanting to attend every function and talking on the phone to his (extended) family and friends. He's the run-a-round person...always has to run out for some thing. I'm the homebody and I rarely talk on the phone etc.

Here's are the book excerpts from today's reading.

100 Days of Weight Loss by Linda Spangle (somewhat paraphrased)
Dessert is what often pushes you over your calorie goals and makes you uncomfortably full. Maybe it's time for you to get more particular about desserts. You can cerainly manage desserts by using your skills such as saving, eating reasonable serving sizes and planning smaller amounts, less often, but because desserts can be so tempting you may need a few more tricks to handle them.

To get control over sweets and desserts, consider making the policy that you will eat dessert only when it's special. This label includes not just the food itself, but also the setting and the people you're with.

Examples:
A family birhday party, plus a family member serves a favorite dessert you know they make well = SPECIAL
An all-day seminar at a large hotel with people you don't know and may never see again and the same type dessert made by the restaurant but probably not as good = PROBABLY NOT SPECIAL

You decide what's truly special and whats ordinary. Don't just consider the name of the dessert (cheese cake, carrot cake etc) but the way it will be made, will it taste the best of those you have tasted before, better than your sister's etc.? Become selectivwe and eat only the ones that match your ideal flavor.

Me = I think I need to get a lot pickier!!

If I'm So Smart, Why Can't I Lose Weight? by Brooke Castillo (paraphrased)
Self-Care Tool#2
Not taking care of yourself is procrastination of your work in the world.

This author says that it is never noble to sacrifice your health for anyone. Distracting yourself from yourself in order to handle the problems of everyone else is a cop-out. It's the way you pocrastinate the work of your OWN life. It is your responsibility as a mature adult to clean out your emotional closet and take care of yourself physically on a regular basis.

She says there needs to be a balance. Love your family from a place of self care. Pay attention to yourself and grow yourself to be a good example to your children (grandchildren). Taking care of yourself is never selfish. She goes on to say that if you can't handle taking care of yourself plus the schedules of your children, then quit and take them along with you as you exercise or whatever or (ME- perhaps you could exercise while watching or wating on them? Personally I used to use it as a time to sit around and eat junk food!)

Me- Of course in our age range, many of us are not raising children. Could be grandchildren for some, most more likely it is other obilgations. I guess there is always a way to take care of yourself ...eat right, exercise, prayer, inspirational/motivational reading etc...if you really want to do it. I'm doing much better at this but for a long time I didn't grasp how important it is.

Last edited by maryea; 07-13-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:40 PM   #178  
Bobbi

I'm patting myself on the back, I put that sewing project off too many times. Posting it here got it done.. I can, I can, I can. Then pat yourself on the back.
My goal for today:
1. Sew padded pillow for top of bench (Charlie puts his front paws on it to look out the window, getting scratched) Yes, all done

2. 8 glasses of water...Yup, went to the bathroom many times to prove it.

3. Wash one load of laundry/look up new low calorie recipe for Antelope. Load out on clothes lines, dried and DH took in and folded everything, put it away. (I'm gonna keep him)
I dumped a can of caraway sour kraut over the antelope roast and threw in the crock pot. It was very tender.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:56 AM   #179  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

It wasn't too bad of a day at work today until the end of it ~ then it got crazy ~ thankful I guess that it wasn't crazy all day. Got out late, but not as late as some nights.

DD Sara came over and visited after I got home. I hadn't seen her for a couple weeks, and really enjoyed getting to spend time with her.

I should probably be trying to go to bed, but again, like a little kid ~ hate to give in and go. It is too late now to call mom ~ we joke that I've gotta get tucked in every night ~ she is in Ohio, I am in Texas so it is tucking in over the phone ~ LOL. She says that I can call no matter how late it is, but I feel selfish if it gets late and I wake her up. I miss it though when it doesn't work out to get to call her. It is such a part of my daily routine.

Yippee ~ off the weekend. OOOhhhhh ~ the possibilities

Hope you all have a good weekend

Take care
Old 07-14-2012, 08:06 AM   #180  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Good Morning GG!

On men. Some of them are too social, if you know what I mean! LOL I was single until age 35. It seemed like when I had an occasion to go somewhere with a date I was in-between dates. I thought when I got married I would have someone to go with me. NOT. He won't go around people that he does not know. I guess at age 18 he decided he knew all the people he wanted to know for the rest of his life. I should have realized that. We first met when we were teens but never dated until our 30's.

I have a bread machine that I bought new, box unopened, for $25 at a flea market. I think I used it twice. I don't like that it takes so long. I prefer to make bread from frozen bread dough, but mostly try to avoid it because I can kill a loaf of bread and a stick of butter in an hour, before it even cools.

The nurses at the hospital strongly disliked my surgeon. He was very rigid regarding the treatment of his patents. They criticized him and called him nasty names in front of me, which I didn't like, because to me, I got the best care from him compared to all the other doctors I have had, and with all my illnesses, I've had many. I only saw him interact with a nurse once or twice, but I don't think he was rude to them. That's uncalled for from the best of doctors. But when he gave an order he wanted it followed to a T and promptly.

My grandson fell yesterday in gravel and hurt his hands and knees. It happened because he did not listen to what his mother told him to do. She is a good mother, but there are no consequesces for his actions. Her threats of "time-out" are not effective. I think they need to be carried out, not just threatened. It would not help to have "Grandma rules" because Pap Pap is like Mom and lets him do whatever he wants. I just hope I'm not there to see it when he gets seriously hurt by his careless antics.

Have a good weekend, everyone!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-14-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Closed Thread